Batman Returns (1992)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 39 items
Sex & Nudity
- After Catwoman and Batman fight, she sits on top of him and licks his face.
- When Catwoman is throwing a tantrum in her apartment, she rumges through the wardrobe taking out plenty of clothes and other accessories. One of the items is a Dildo in which she tosses out, its brief and easy to miss
- Penguin says ''just the pussy I was looking for''.
- Numerous sexual innuendos in nearly every scene involving the Penguin and Catwoman. Even to a point when he exclaims "You ought to be spayed!" Catwoman expresses sexual desires to Bruce, making out with him once before being startled off and then later offering to sleep with him to which he politely changes the subject.
Violence & Gore
- A man attempts to sexually assault a woman but is interrupted by Catwoman and has his face lacerated and his eyes gouged with her claws.
- There's a mildly brutal fight on a rooftop between Batman and Catwoman, and both punch and kick each other.
- Penguin tears open a man's nose with his teeth. The man screams and blood is shown squirting towards the screen. The man's blood is also shown on the Penguin's mouth in chin for the rest of the scene.
- Penguin shoots a large goon in the stomach at close range. Blood is seen spattered on the goon's stomach before Penguin kicks his corpse into a pool. He is later shown lying dead at the bottom of the pool.
- Batman pulls a sword out of one of Penguin's thug's mouth and then beats him over the head with the handle.
- In the scene where the Red Triangle Gang attack, three citizens are set on fire and presumably burned to death in the background.
- Many characters are shot with no blood.
- A character falls to her death and lands atop the controls of a giant Christmas tree.
- A character falls from a resolution building. (mild blood.)
- A character is violently electrocuted and we see the grisly aftermath.
- A character is set on fire.
- A character has time bomb shoved down his pants by Batman. He then explodes offscreen.
- A character shows another character a mildly graphic severed hand.
- A character is slashed on the face, with blood, but he does not die.
- A woman's fingers are bloodily gnawed on by a cat. One bite its quite violent.
- Catwoman says "shit" in one moment of the film.
- Catwoman exclaimes "Damn!" once in frustration.
- "Bitch" is used.
- Penguin says "Shit" towards the end
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Mr. and Mrs. Cobblepot drink martinis.
- The Penguin and Catwoman drink champagne.
- Mr. Cobblepot smokes a cigarette using a holder.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- During their meeting, Catwoman grabs one of Penguin's pet birds from its cage and puts it in her mouth, and Penguin responds by holding an umbrella sword to the neck of one of Catwoman's cats.
- Early in the movie Penguin pulls out a severed hand from a Christmas stocking.
- Penguin kills the family cat off screen while still a child having been locked in a portable cage during infancy by his parents.
- The film's main villain, The Penguin, is an incredibly vicious and disturbing psychopath with an extremely gruesome and scary appearance. His actions are very unpleasant as well, and all of that may frighten some.
- By far, this is the darkest, most depressing and most messed-up film in the entire "Batman" franchise.
- The setting of Gotham here is very grim, evil and dark, unlike the previous adaptations.
- The entire film can be hard for some to watch due to its very grim nature, which includes unflinching darkness and uncompromising subject matter, an extremely nihilistic and unbelievably bleak storyline, plentiful shock value, scenes of graphic violence and gore, tons of disgusting and disturbing imagery, mature disturbing thematic material, moral ambiguity, a constant feeling of relentless misery, dreary visuals, moody lighting and an incredibly gloomy and depressing atmosphere.
- The ending is very depressing.
- Max pushes Selina out the window where she falls several stories to her presumed death. She lies on the street for a moment and then begins twitching, which ends with her eyes rolling up into her head, just revealing the whites of her eyes. Very scary and disturbing.
- Batman's uncovering of a corpse may be considered a "jump scare" for some. The atmosphere and look of the film is designed to scare. The Penguin appears to be quite frightening. He has numerous violent outbursts. Character has her fingers gnawed by cats.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The Penguin's death is extremely emotional, what makes it ever sadder is when the penguins push his lifeless body into the water. Will definitley make viewers cry.
- At the beginning of the film when Penguin is a child, Mr. and Mrs. Cobblepot (Penguin's parents) are ashamed and frightened because of Penguin's deformity and behavior. So they decide to take Penguin to a park and at bridge they throw him over inside the baby carriage into a drainage stream. This scene might emotional to some viewers.