Basket Case 3 (1991) Poster

(1991)

Better than the second
Leofwine_draca15 October 2013
The third and thankfully last of Frank Henenlotter's BASKET CASE trilogy. I've watched all three recently; the first was a semi-decent and gory B-movie with grindhouse overtones, but the second descended into high camp and had no discernible storyline. The third starts out like the second, kicking off with the various freaks from the second film going on a cross-country bus trip due to the impending birth of Belial's child.

It's as bad as it sounds, and completely ridiculous. Henenlotter wallows in the cheesy costumes and absurdity of the situation, but it's not enough to make this a decent film. However, around the second half of the film, things begin to pick up. It all starts with a strong, TERMINATOR-inspired rampage at a police station which recalls the grisly horror of the original movie, and from that point in it bears much in comparison with the first film in the series which is a definite good thing.

This is certainly no classic, but seeing Belial in full-on monster mode is a lot of fun and it's almost as if Henenlotter decided to go back to his roots. It's not perfect, but then when is B-movie film-making ever fun? One of the biggest problems in the second and third films is Kevin Van Hentenryck's nominal lead, Duane. Once his secret is out in the open after the first movie, he becomes the dullest character imaginable and nothing can change that. Never mind - at least Belial is a bad guy again!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not all third times are a lucky charm
kosmasp16 April 2021
Even if this has a bigger budget than at least the first one, I wouldn't say it is better than that - and surely not better than the second one, which is the best of the bunch. What I did like watching all of them in one go: they build up on each other. While the first one seemed to be a one shot/off, it turned out it could do more damage than expected.

And while we had monsters getting it on (yes you read that right) and had the brothers trying to figure out their issues ... this adds a lot more family to the mix than one could expect/hope for. Depending on your feelings towards these ... freaks, the ending will either satisfy or annoy you ... Overall a decent effort and a "neat" conclusion.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More insanity from Frank Henenlotter and his family of freaks.
BA_Harrison12 March 2010
Basket Case 3: The Progeny continues in much the same vein as Pt 2, with loads of twisted humour, some very silly freaks, and plenty of truly demented scenes, including a terrific musical number from Granny Ruth (Annie Ross) and her 'unique individuals', the birth of twelve mutant babies, Duane (Kevin Van Hentenryck) being dominated by Opal (Tina Louise Hilbert), the hot slutty daughter of a local sheriff, and Belial being transformed into a half-machine/half monster cyborg by Little Hal (Jim O'Doherty), a monstrous multi-limbed genius.

In short, this movie is yet another bonkers effort from Frank Henenlotter that, although never reaching the level of brilliance displayed in his debut Basket Case or the marvellous Brain Damage, should appeal to those who enjoyed the director's previous outing for his deranged, separated Siamese twins. The comedy sometimes gets a tad puerile, and the childish behaviour of the freaks becomes irritating at times, but the level of insanity is way high, with a fair amount of inventive gore, and even some nudity courtesy of Playboy twins Carla and Carmen Morrell (who have the dubious pleasure of fondling Belial).

It might not be Henenlotter at his best, but I'd much rather watch an enjoyably daft, low budget piece of campy trash such as this than much of today's bland and predictable mainstream horror.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As to be expected from a third movie...
paul_haakonsen30 December 2016
A third and final foray into the madness that started in 1982 with Duane and Belial Bradley. But with a slumping sequel, odds are not in favor of this third installment.

It should be said that "Basket Case 3" continues on in the footsteps of "Basket Case 2" and showcases the monstrous freaks from that one, just going a step further and also introduces baby Belials and some other new freaks. So if you enjoyed part 2 then you will also enjoy part 3. However, the detour that parts 2 and 3 took from the original idea of part 1 is not really my cup of tea, so I am not much fan of the sequels. I think they went overboard with the freaks in part 2 and as such then I am not much fan of how they continued on with that in part 3.

The story in the third installment of the "Basket Case" series takes the freaks on a journey to the south where they are seeking out a doctor to help the family. However, when Belial's spawn of monstrous offspring is kidnapped by unlawful police officers, the family rises up to reclaim what is rightfully theirs.

"Basket Case 3" didn't really tickle me in the right places, not after what I had witnessed in part 2, so it wasn't an outstanding movie for me. But for fans of the second movie, then this third movie will surely be a blast.

The effects were adequate enough, surely an improvement of what was seen in the first two movies. But again, the freaks in both parts 2 and 3 are just too far out there for my liking.

As for the acting, well you know what you are in for if you have watched parts 1 and/or 2 already. It is adequate enough acting for the genre and the type of movie that this is. Just don't hold your breath in hopes of being in for a grand Shakespearian experience.

Now that I have finally gotten around to finish the trilogy I can check them off the to-watch-list, but chances are slim to none that I will actually sit down to watch any of them, even part 1, a second time around. Why? Well, because they just didn't really impress me that much.
Freakshow extravaganza!
Coventry8 April 2005
Basket Case volume 3 is a very redundant and pointless sequel that you should definitely avoid unless you're an avid fan of Frank Hennenlotter's deranged filming style. The original Basket Case (dating from 1982) was a genuine classic and a triumph for low-budget cinema that should be viewed by everyone who's mildly intrigued by the genre. The 1990 sequel already was a lot more light-headed and comical but yet it is interesting viewing because it reveals some unanswered questions gives some more background. There really was no reason to shoot another sequel, especially not because the premise has become pure slapstick. So I think this film was only made because Hennenlotter had fun with it and maybe for spoiling the true Belial fans with another treat! Well, I'm a true Belial fan and I had a lot of fun watching this piece of pure camp. This is a jolly bunch of nonsense, complete with over the top gore, absurd twists and insane characters. Belial's girlfriend (who he met in part 2) is about to give birth to his offspring and so the whole freakshow travels to Granny Ruth's befriended doctor who's specialized in these kinds of deliveries. Duane is slowly recovering from insanity, escapes and unwillingly makes the presence of the freak-collection public. When greedy police officers attempt to turn in Belial for the reward, our aggressive semi-person can start another repulsive series of murders. Basket Case 3 is a very tasteless film with absolutely no depth or value whatsoever. The make up effects are very grotesque (you should see some of these mutants) and you won't find this funny unless you have a wicked sense of humor yourself. Cool end sequence, though! So, as stated before, don't watch part 3 unless you really want to finish the trilogy. In case you're a vivid Hennenlotter admirer like myself… enjoy the (freak)show.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basket Case 3: The Progeny
Scarecrow-8826 March 2011
The third—and currently final—sequel in the twisted Henenlotter Basket Case series has simple-minded Duane(the child-like Van Hentenryck whose wide-eyed innocence is played to perfection here) trying to reconnect and apologize to ferocious, unhinged monster twin brother Dwight who has fathered an offspring! Annie Ross returns from the sequel as Granny Ruth, obviously batty but incredibly loyal to her merry band of grotesque freaks, who heads for Georgia where her son "Little Hal" (Jim O'Doherty, quite enthusiastic—and loud) and "Uncle Hal"(Dan Biggers, just a friendly town doctor the sheriff has a fondness for)live. Uncle Hal, Ruth feels, is the only one who could deliver Belial's unborn brood. When the Sheriff's (Gil Roper) bumbling deputies go hunting for Belial, a warrant out for his capture worth a million bucks, the mother of the monster children growls at them and they respond with a shot gun blast that kills "her". Well, sufficed to say, there will be hell to pay and the Sheriff will be out his policemen as Belial goes on quite a brutal rampage ripping heads off when he isn't chewing into their faces.

By the end of this series, Henelotter had just turned Bartalos and his make-up crew loose, not only creating a wide variety of surreal looking freaks, but gruesome gore (although, I was rather underwhelmed at the attacks from Belial on the police as they look so cartoonish, particularly when the emphasis was on prosthetics, I think the effects lost some impact; it was something right out of a comic book). I think moving the film from its origins in New York to a Southern town in Georgia also takes away from what made the first cult classic so interesting.

As we know all too well, Henelotter can't help himself and so the sheriff's daughter, who appears to be friendly and innocent, turns out to be into kink, her own special bullwhip in a box near the jail inside the station, with a dominatrix outfit appropriately hidden underneath her dress (probably the kind of dress she wears to church). Opal (Tina Louise Hilbert) can't contain her inhibitions and urges when naughty prisoners are in Daddy's jail cell and so she, whip in hand, is about to teach Duane (he is imprisoned by deputies who learn of his brother and Hal's house full of Ruth's "family of freaks") a lesson when the sheriff arrives to stop her. Too bad because I was hoping to see her in action—I just love Van Hentenryck's reaction when she comes toward him, the sound of the whip off from the floor, like a kid with Mother Superior and her ruler approaching him. Hilbert has that "girl next door" quality that makes her unveiling as a "teacher of discipline" shocking as only Henenlotter can achieve.

The film tries especially hard to get laughs out of the whole "family of freaks" scenario and I think the film succeeds when Van Hentenryck is on screen. There's a gag where he has Little Hal build a contraption for Belial with operational weapons that is rather amusing. I think it was a good idea of Henelotter to end the series here, although I imagine BC fans want another sequel. If he were to get the funding, I imagine he'd go the CGI route which would be unfortunate. The "birthing" sequence, while strange as intended, does go on a bit too long, but a basket full of little Belials is quite an image. THE PROGENY has enough camp value (..with a nice shot at Geraldo at the end as a lookalike host gets terrorized by Belial as Granny Ruth sends a direct message to "normal" folk about her freaks no longer hiding in secret) I figure for his fans who will find something to like, since there's plenty of "monster mayhem" and absurdity. Like the series as a whole, it's a cult movie intended for a specific audience who likes their movies off-the-wall.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too silly for its own good.
Boba_Fett113814 January 2008
What can I say, they really overdid it this time. The previous Basket Case movie was still a fun self aware silly movie but this movie really crosses the line. It's just plain bad and embarrassingly forced silly, without the fun and entertainment level of the first sequel.

And then there is the story. Well, there really is hardly any story this time. It's just a lame excuse for Frank Henenlotter to show more of the evil Bradley twins and more of their freaky looking friends. It's definitely a simple story. It's like they didn't even really tried, though I do admit some of the dialog was highly amusing.

The first movie "Basket Case" was still a horror movie, while "Basket Case 2" was more like a horror comedy. "Basket Case 3: The Progeny" on the other hand is a full-blood comedy and simply for most part has abandoned the tension and gore the previous two movies still had. There are still some gory moments but they mostly are part of the humor and camp of the movie.

But still because of the reason that this movie is a completely silly one, the movie remains still far more entertaining and watchable than just the average B-horror movie. Therefor you just can't really regard this as one of the worst movies ever made. Still I'm glad that this is the last (as of yet) Basket Case movie.

1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grotesque and pretty funny.
HumanoidOfFlesh11 March 2007
In "Basket Case 3:The Progeny" Belial and his equally bizarre bride are about to discover the perils of parenthood.Following a wild road trip with granny Ruth and her family of freaks,the mutant Mrs.Belial delivers several ugly mini-creatures.Unfortunately the police kidnaps the little critters,which causes Belial to go on a bloody rampage...Frank Henenlotter's "Basket Case 3" is equally disgusting and amusing.It features some extremely funny moments as well as fountains of spraying grue.I can safely say that I enjoy watching Henenlotter's grotesque horror comedies and this one is also a blast.Highly recommended,especially for the fans of "Basket Case" series.8 out of 10.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And I thought the second one was wacked out!
lost-in-limbo1 December 2005
After going crazy and stitching Belial back on himself at the end of the second film, Duane is now slapped into a straight jacket and kept in a room for months until he's better. After being released by Granny Ruth he founds out that Belial is going to be a father. So, Ruth organises a road trip with her family to the deep south to meet a doctor she knows that could actually help deliver the infants. Although, after the delivery a couple of officers kidnap Belial's babies, which makes Belial incredibly angry and causes the horrific fury we've come expect from him.

First off, a word of warning… it's not a film for the uninitiated of cheap and twisted cinema. Pretty much what we got here is a wayward freak show, which has a charmingly campy appeal. I had to pick up my jaw from the ground, as it's just off the rails! If you've seen the second one, you know what to expect, even if it does up the ante on the craziness this time around. The first film was a sleazy classick, the second wasn't too bad, but this outing I thought was somewhat of an improvement on the first sequel. Only fans of the Basket Case films and that of incredibly wild and cheesy B-films will get something out of it. Frank Henenlotter's "Basket Case 3: The Progeny" is just as cheap and crude, but far more adventurous, with cartoon-style violence and twists that go one step further. Everything and I mean everything is played for wicked laughs. You got the quirky sense of humour and offbeat dialogue, that provides one corny one liner after another. Shoddy looking makeup and cheap rubbery effects actually dazzle, because you seen nothing quite like it, with Belial and his buddies looking okay and at least have different types of personalities and distinguishable features. Plus there's plenty of moments that pop up out the blue, like a musical number and kinky sexual act. But it's those eye popping sequences of Belial's grisly and inventive attacks that just make it so hugely exciting, especially the film's climax, which was a real hoot.

One thing you definitely notice throughout the series, is that when it came to this film there was more of a focus on Granny Ruth and her family of "unique individuals". The brotherly love seemed more drifted, but when those two shared the screen that's when most of best moments occurred. The film definitely felt more childish, but still there was an underlying cruel and ghastly tone to proceedings and the story also has a message about accepting others as the way they are. Just to be open-minded, really. There's some nice homage's from other films too and a rather brisk pace keeps things going. Henenlotter even adds a recount of what happened at the end of the second film to just refresh your memory, but that ending I don't think is that hard to forget when your thinking of the Basket Case films. Surprisedly the enthusiastic acting gets better, but by not much. Kevin Van Hentenryck again fitted the role perfectly as the oddball Duane, even if his character's persona is all over shop. But again its Annie Ross, who steals all the scenes she's in as the determined Granny Ruth.

Stupid? You're right about that, but it's just hilariously demented fun and nothing more!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A whole new film
bowmanblue27 February 2018
I've watched the whole 'Basket Case' trilogy now and, like many who have a soft spot for cheesy eighties horror, enjoyed the first one's entertainment value. It deserves its place as a 'cult classic' from its title alone. However, it's sequels were less well known. This was possibly because the second one seemed to veer so far away from the overall dark and horrific feel of the original that it seemed like a completely different movie. And that was just 'part II!' Now we have the third instalment and it's practically unrecognisable as part of the franchise. One of my main complaints about the second instalment was that it didn't really feature the titular 'basket case' monster, dwelling more on a whole new cast of characters and freaks. At least now our murderous anti-hero gets the screen time that he was possibly robbed of in the middle film, but, even so, this feels like a totally different film when compared to the original.

Like the first followed closely from the second, the third picks up right where the predecessor left off. There's a whole house-load of monsters who live quite happily with their human 'aunt,' but the basket case and his, only slightly less creepy, human brother can't seem to fit in - expect many murders to follow.

The first two thirds don't really seem to go anywhere and feel just like extended padding for the final act. If you're really going to find enjoyment out of this cheeky little movie then the pay-off is what you'll be waiting for. In the last third you get the majority of the gore, the majority of the silliness and even a couple of plot points that I didn't see coming regarding characters.

Realistically, it's not a bad little horror film. It's not big budget and doesn't have a single recognisable face (with the possible exception of a talk-show host!), so if you don't mind that then you'll be party on your way to get something out of this. You will certainly need an appreciation of eighties horror (yes, I know this was technically filmed in the nineties, but it's eighties at heart!) and the silliness that came with it. The best gore and prosthetics all come in the final third and, when they do, they are kind of fun. However, if you were a die-hard fan of the original, you probably won't believe how far the series strayed from the original.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best... or the least bad part of the trilogy
Bored_Dragon10 December 2018
Like previous two, "Basket Case 3" is complete trash, but nonetheless the most amusing out of three. Although I rated it low, I do recommend it for it's very entertaining.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird sequel tops the second installment.
Captain_Couth27 November 2003
Basket Case 3 (1992) is actually enjoyable and more successful than part 2. Henenlotter seems to have fun with the project this time around. What I enjoyed about this film was it dark overtones and satirical wit. More fun with Duane and Belial. The family leave their abode and head down the Mason/Dixon line for some fun. Crazy sequel that's highly enjoyable. Those that were disappointed with part two will enjoy this one. Recommended.

B+
Funny and Gory
atinder16 September 2009
Duane Bradley is re-separated from Belial as he tired to put Belial back on to his side, so he was put in a straitjacket and a cell in Granny Ruth's house Few months later Duane is let out by Ruth,

Meahwhile Belial Girlfriend who Pregnant, so Granny takes everyone to her ex-husband Doctor Hal Rockwell,

As they get ready as Belial's girlfriend water-breaks and she end up giving birth to 7 others Belial's to Belial shock

Duane was told to stay away from Belial and then he goes out window, only to get locked in Jail, then Police soon find out who he is, so they go to house and see the others and the babies and the Kidnap them, They bring them back Policestaions.

One of the police officer pick basket that left outside that when Killing start.

This movie was not funny as the other two but still had some very funny moment in this movie, they did try to be a little to funny at the some points some of the jokes didn't work

I really liked the deaths scenes in this movie they are really gory and funny at the same time.

I didn't like acting as it was bad in movie and I did not like the ending of this movie. I think this the weakest of the 3 in acting and plot but the deaths scenes in this movie were much better then the ones in Basket Case 2

I give this movie a 6/10
Third Time Is Not A Charm
kirbylee70-599-52617918 February 2017
I am a fan of the first two BASKETCASE movies. The original was a gritty looking piece of grindhouse horror that met all the criteria of that genre. The second was a worthy follow up that continued the story of the conjoined brothers who had been separated but remained together. Then they decided to make a follow up, a film that went straight to video.

Having been discovered by the press and the police, Granny Ruth (Annie Ross) takes her troop of "freaks" on the road to escape. Heading to the Deep South and the home of a friend to the "family", this road trip offers various moments of humor among the group. It also lets us realize that Eve, the girlfriend of the series "hero" Belial, is expecting a brood of children.

At the end of the second film the relationship between brothers Duane (Kevin Van Hentenryck) and Belial wasn't very good. Duane had lost his mind for a while and the two were at odds. After arriving at the home in the South, Duane leaves the compound and heads out on his own only to be captured by the local sheriff's department. Realizing he is a wanted man they immediately realize his brother must be in the house and they head out to capture him as well. Instead they find the newborns and take them in. Big mistake. The end result is gore filled and expected but what happens in the movie is not.

Sure we have the same cast of characters brought together once more by director/writer Frank Henenlotter. But the once polished story seems to have lost a little of its glimmer with this film. The surprise at seeing the group of "freaks" is no longer something that stuns. The behavior of Duane, Belial and even Granny Ruth is more predictable this time around. The stupid actions of the local sheriff's office feel stereotypical rather than realistic. Not all law enforcement outside of the confines of New York City are the country bumpkins they are usually portrayed as.

The gore factor here is turned up a notch but doesn't offer anything frightening or new. Whenever a movie series moves forward it seems that everyone feels more is better but that's not always the case. Sure some scenes require it and perhaps the fact that this movie came out 9 years after the first means that more was acceptable than in the earlier incarnation. But at times it feels cartoonish and not needed.

The end result is that the movie can be fun and does round out the trilogy well enough. But it isn't one that will bring back fond memories like the first two films in the series do for me. Still fans will want to make sure that they add this to their collection to make it complete. Horror fans will want to make a point of at least watching it to say they've done so. And with any luck we won't find out that a remake is in the works planned by people who have no concept of why the movie worked in its original incarnation.

Kudos to Synapse for producing a quality version of the film for those who love it. That they would go to the effort to do so shows their dedication to preserving movies that many will overlook, a sad situation with far too many films. Extras are the most minor, a theatrical trailer, but by the time this movie came out the odds of finding much to use as an extra were pretty slim. Suffice to say that the transfer is worthy of the series and well done.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Frank-Please Tell Me You Needed The Paycheck...
EVOL66611 February 2010
The original BASKET CASE is one of my all-time favorite B-movies, and has been ever since I first saw it as a kid on cable over 20 years ago. It's grimy, low-budget style, the completely off-the-wall storyline, the cheezy but effective splatter FX- everything about the original screams underground classic. And luckily director Frank Henenlotter proved to not just be a one-trick-pony, by proving he had the skills to be a truly noteworthy cult-horror director-with other classics like BRAIN DAMAGE and FRANKENHOOKER. But unfortunately, the beloved Mr. H had to go and f!ck up his streak with retarded nonsense like the BASKET CASE sequels. I hadn't seen either of the sequels in many years- and I recall not liking either of them-but I had this one laying around and figured I'd give it another chance to see if my opinion had changed over the years. No such luck.

In this third and (thank Christ) final installment in the trilogy-the action picks up directly after the events of the equally stupid second film-with Duane spending some time in a rubber-room after trying to sew him and his deformed Siamese twin brother Belial back together. The brothers are re- disconnected during Duane's incarceration-and he is eventually released. Granny Ruth (from part 2) takes Duane to a friend's house with the rest of the freak-show brood to await the birth of the spawn resulting from the union of Belial and his girlfriend Eve. When a duo of bumbling cops kill Belial's girlfriend and kidnap his 'kids'-he doesn't take it too kindly, and exacts some splattery revenge...

Granted-there are a (very) few scenes in this entry that are mildly amusing-but not enough to call BASKET CASE 3 enjoyable on any level. Honestly-I found both sequels to be retarded, un-funny, and frankly, unnecessary. When the series moved into straight slap-stick territory-I completely lost interest. I still respect Henenlotter a great deal for his early contributions to the B-movie horror world-but both of these sequels just straight-up suck in my book...3/10
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Belial should Retire.
truemythmedia17 October 2019
The original "Basket Case" is awesome. Its wild schlocky fun, complete with absolutely ridiculous acting, brutally bloody special effects, and it's a wondrous display of low budget filmmaking. "Basket Case 2" felt like Henenlotter ("Brain Damage") was using the mild success of the original as an excuse for a cash grab, and "Basket Case 3" feels like Henenlotter had given up completely.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'm gonna be an uncle?"
Backlash00726 March 2002
Duane and Belial are back, and one of them is going to be a dad. And you thought it couldn't get any more outrageous. Basket Case 3 is the last entry of the most outlandish trilogy ever put on film. It's still overly comedic though. On many occasions, it enters Troma-esque territory (if the second one wasn't, this one definitely is). The first half of the film is border-line retarded. The sing-a-long on the bus gets on my last nerve. There's also quite a few mistakes. You can totally see the entire crew in the bus window in one shot. It gets better when the cops kidnap the baby Belials and the climax is fitting I suppose. There's a couple of good gore scenes involving the babies. It's not as good as the second and doesn't touch the original. I guess I can see why Frank Henenlotter disappeared from the scene.

Note: The fast food manager is Casey from the original Basket Case and appears in all of Henenlotter's movies.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of the same from Basket Case 2 (1990)
Frank Henenlotter's feature film debut in Basket Case (1982) is certainly what he's best known for. While it was by no means a good looking film, it served its purpose in creating an underground horror icon. As bad as the film was. When Basket Case 2 (1990) was created, not only did it have better production quality, but it also had a concept worth getting behind. Sadly, the sequel fell short of this leaving ideas half-baked that could've progressed the story much further than the original could have realized. And just like that entry, the second sequel very much follows the same footsteps. As a rushed sequel, Henenlotter wasn't even happy with it...but it still has some credit to its name. This final film though proves it just wasn't a really good franchise.

Written and directed by Henenlotter for the third time, along with co-writing partner Robert Martin (Frankenhooker (1990)), this sequel picks up just like the last entry with recalling the events of Basket Case 2 (1990). After Duane Bradley (Kevin Van Hentenryck) kills Granny Ruth's (Annie Ross) daughter, Bradley has been in solitary confinement for several months. Only to be brought out to see that his brother Belial is going to be a father after mating with Eve (Denise Coop) the other lump of flesh living at Granny Ruth's. But in order to have a safe delivery, Granny Ruth wants everyone at Uncle Hal's (Dan Biggers) where he and Granny Ruth's son Little Hal (Jim O'Doherty) live. After Duane is freed from his cell, he escapes causing more damage.

It's interesting because as this series has progressed, Henenlotter has exposed just how much of a screw up Duane really is. Belial is no golden boy either, but at least he tries to settle down and live a normal life. This just shows how much little development Duane really gets in this franchise. Duane is the one who escalates other character viewpoints on certain situations retracting their development as well. When Duane escapes, he comes across the local sheriff (Gil Roper) and his daughter Opal (Tina Louise Hilbert), who he only entangles them into his issues too. But even then, things get strange between Duane and Opal where it goes from Opal seeming sane enough, only to have strange sexual desires. What is going on?

The more engaging characters viewers might want to see more of is Little Hal as he has the ability to make mechanical contraptions. Yet, he has very little screen time. Even Uncle Hal falls off the story not long after he's introduced. Much of the characters in general are just unlikable or are too strange to care for. Even Beverly Bonner returns (not as Casey from the last two films) as a cashier. The cast in general do their job, it's just the choices in direction of the story that don't really make sense. Visually, the film went all out on that. The gore may not be as abundant as the other two films, but when it's on screen it's still gruesome. This coincides with the practical effects used, which for 1991 looks good for its budget.

Cinematography was competently handled too, this time by Robert Paone. Starting his career as a second camera assistant in Saturday Night Fever (1977), Paone keeps the camera steady for what is shown, as well as hiding various elements that get revealed later. The film score was composed once again by Joe Renzetti and sadly it still doesn't get featured as much as it should. The music certainly fits the tone, having ethereal and strange sounding tracks, but it doesn't have recognizable traits making it hard to recall on its own. There are hints of melodic themes, but Renzetti doesn't utilize it enough. Thankfully there is a score to hear in case it was difficult to make out in the film itself.

As the final film in this franchise, Frank Henenlotter's trilogy about a deformed Siamese twin is average at best. The final entry is still better than the original, narrative wise, but not by a lot since much of script shoots itself in the foot before it even gets started. The visuals are fine and the actors do their okay, but there's still very little character development, they're not likable and the music is sorely unhighlighted.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When sewing your deformed Siamese twin back on isn't the answer,
one9eighty12 August 2020
Like the first sequel did, this film picks up directly after the events of the last film. Belial and Eve are passionately at it. Granny ruth is still looking after a houseful of freaks. Duane sews Belial back on to him in a rage induced breakdown. Thus starts "Basket Case 3"...

After the breakdown Duane had he claims to be on the mend, although he still has to be kept in a straitjacket. He finds out that his separated Siamese brother, Belial, is going to be a father and tries to work things out with him - but the bond is fractured after the events of the previous film and Belial needs space. Granny Ruth has planned a 'road trip' to the deep South to visit 'Uncle Hal', who can assist with the delivery (he's also Ruth's ex-husband too). Along the way they meet Sheriff Andrew who knows Uncle Hal (and Little Hal). They also encounter Opal, Andrew's daughter who thinks there is something wrong about Ruth and Duane. Arriving at Uncle Hal's, Eve's waters break, and she is taken into the birthing room. Belial gets confused due to how scarred he is about doctors trying to cut him away from Duane, and he attacks the doctor. Ruth has to lock Belial away until he calms down so not to interfere with the birth. A batch of little freaky monsters are born - the progeny that the title of the film mentions. Meanwhile Duane gets wrongly imprisoned after talking to Opal - she claims rape despite her father knowing that she 'bothers' prisoners by trying to get them to dominate her (she turns up in a full dominatrix costume). Sheriff Andrew threatens Hal, Ruth and the freaks, kills Eve and then kidnaps some of the babies. Belial goes on a rampage of revenge which involves Little Hal and some technological enhancements. If you think I'm making this all up - I'm really not! The film kind of all spirals off in bonkers but good fashion, the kind of way that anyone who is a fan of previous "Basket Case" films will surely enjoy.

This 1991 film, written and directed by Frank Henenlotter, brings back a familiar cast, but importantly Kevin Van Hentenryck is back as Duane, and Annie Ross is back as Granny Ruth. The film is crazier than the last one, by a long shot in fact. It still brings horror, gore, and comedy - but it does so with an extremely creative and 'way out there' approach. In an interview Henenlotter mentioned that he had to cut out 10+ pages of writing from the film because producers wanted a little less gore - I cannot imagine how demented the film must have originally been planned. With a bigger budget again, Henenlotter has basically let his effects and make-up team loose, the freaks in the film are all sorts of creative - some of the gore is so fun.

Do not take this film seriously, it is not intended as such. It's interesting to note though, that some 30 years later, films like this have become fashionable in an underground way. It's just a pity that the films like this which are made in today's market are CGI heavy, lack some of the fun, and don't seem to have a heart. Sure, they are gory and puerile in their humour, but what Basket Case, and other Henenlotter films had was a heart. I preferred this film to BC2 because it was way more out there, but I cannot rate it any higher than the first BC film as that set the bar for the deranged mayhem that followed. I enjoyed the film, but then I enjoy blood, guts, bad language, sexual content, violence, and everything else you should not expose kids to. 6 out of 10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three ain't the magic number here
adamscastlevania230 August 2014
(18%) The wheels started wobbling with the first sequel, and by the second the chassis is well and truly scraping along the road surface. The movie opens with the grand (and repeated) sight of two latex monsters humping which sets the tone for the rest of the run time as horror takes a back seat for "comedy" to run riot. Many of the crazy creations from the 2nd film return and yet again don't really do anything but clown around, dance and mumble incoherently. There are some half decent ideas floating around, but everything is just so over-the-top and it all feels like a joke taken too far for its own good. The bus sing along scene is toe curlingly hard to watch, but Kevin Van Hetenryck's expression just about saves it. One for die-hard fans only.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
End of a fun journey
phanthinga29 December 2017
After the batsh*t crazy ending of the last one i don't think Basket Case 3 can get any more crazier but it prove me wrong right the way when deliver a fun cheesy horror movie with enough WTF moments to entertain any horror fan so believe me when i say this series is seriously underrated.The so bad it good acting is all over the place and the practical effect only make it better.Kevin Van Hentenryck as Duane Bradley still just as confuse as always and Annie Ross as Granny Ruth one again very entertaining in her role.I know i give so much credit for a B-movie but I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.Check the series out if you love extreme family drama(LOL)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How bad can one film be?
Is this film scary? No. Is this film funny? Yes. Is this film stupid? Yes. Is this film a total waste of viewer's time? Yes. Duane and Belial still reside with their adoptive mother and rathe less fortunate humans who have some quite hideous facial deformities, one could confuse this one with a similar movie of it's time, Freaked. This third installment, you actually hope there's a fourth, like in apology for how horribly bad this one is. But there's a fear, that if a fourth one was made, there's a slight possibility it could be worse than this one, and that's a really frightening thought. Belial's girl, another freaks, is very much pregnant, and we do have a funny "Must seen to be believed" birth scene, when she pops a few baby Belial's, that are snatched by authorities. So, we know Belial is not one happy chappy, but neither will an audience be by this utter dreck. We have a kinky daughter of a sheriff, who clean cut looking Duane, gets it on with as she plays dominator, in one of her daddy's police cells. After viewing this one, one of my friends was grinning to himself, in a sort of embarrassment, at the birth scene, another one at one point, and said and I quote "But this is terrible". A true understatement if I heard one. I myself was left in total stupefaction. Even a couple of newborn Belials, and the freak mother buy it, so we have a nasty revenge in store, plus the old rock hit, 'Personality', played in a slower jazzed style, over the end credits, by freak accompaniment and now you've heard my opinion of this. This embarrassment of a movie, just plays as a comedy, it's hard to believe it's in the same franchise as the original, which was one of the scariest and effective horrors of 84, I was witness to. What the hell happened. Get your act together Duane.

0.5
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sure. Why not? One more wouldn't hurt. It's not like it'll be stupid, and include a road trip to Georgia... Right?
Tromafreak23 October 2010
After the shockingly surreal events that took place at the end of the last movie, Granny Ruth and pals have a now insane Duane Bradley locked in a padded cell, which is also in the "freak house". Of course it is. Gee whiz, Duane sure does act zany in this one. Zany or not, this story is going forward with us or without us, so, we might as well learn to appreciate it for what it is, whatever the hell it is. Anyway, the female freak (the one Belial had his way with in part 2) is now pregnant, and the only doctor Ruth can think of that can be trusted to deliver the litter, lives in Georgia... Oh, Great. I mean, Florida or North Carolina would have been a better choice, but a road trip is a road trip, right? So, Granny Ruth gets out the old school bus, leaves Duane in his straight-jacket, just to be safe, and takes her family o' freaks all the way down south. Hopefully, in such a small town, nobody will recognize Duane from all those tabloids. Unfortunately Duane feels he's being held against his will, and takes any opportunity he can to get away. Where, you ask? I don't know. Just away, I guess. Once Duane gets away, he gets himself into all sorts of trouble, not to mention Granny and the freaks. Greedy, small-town cops, lookin' for reward money is hot on Belial's trail, but what these yokels find... well, forget it. This movie sucks. But if you've recently had the pleasure of seeing the original Basket Case, and you got the Henenlotter fever, the next logical step would be a flick called Brain Damage.

As someone who hates the fact that there is even one Basket Case sequel, even I gotta admit that the idea of a part 2 is, or I guess was intriguing. But 3? Come on, Frank. You're better than that. I would imagine someone, at some point, up and told the man how awful this movie really is, discouraging the poor fella, and sending him into a deep depression, which would explain why Henenlotter wouldn't make another movie (Bad Biology) for 17 years... Embaressment. 4/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave your dignity at the door.
zmaturin13 November 2000
Frank Hennenlotter made the classic "Basket Case", a highly enjoyable film with two great heroes: Duane and Belial, Siamese twins (one normal, one deformed) getting revenge on the doctors who separated them. I really liked it, and really wanted to like it's two sequels. Unfortunately the sequels are totally unlike the first one, in tone and in content, although not without their own charm.

In "Basket Case 2" Duane and Belial joined up with a group of God-forsaken abnormalities that were more humorous than horrific. It might have been passable entertainment if the mutations were cool looking, but too many of them were cheap-looking and silly. Well, they all return for this one, and it's a mild improvement. Belial has fathered a dozen baby Belials who are promptly kidnapped by the local police, setting Belial off on another killing spree.

The best parts of this flick involve Duane. He spends the first half of the movie in a straight jacket, and I for some reason I found him hilarious and very likable. There's a great scene where Duane eats corn flakes while Belial kills a guy wearing leopard-print briefs. Other highlights include Belial in a robotic body and the patriarchal Granny Ruth singing "Personality" backed by the freaks.

The worst part has to be the scene where Belial's girlfriend Eve is giving birth and a new character called Little Hal is videotaping it. Someone must have thought this actor was hilarious and let him improvise the scene or something, because he gives an almost unwatchable "comic" performance. In fact, the weakest part of any Hennenlotter movie is when it tries too hard to be funny. The original "Basket Case" is funny in a dark way, and never resorts to silliness.

I also don't get why in one scene the freaks decide to become a part of society and then in the next scene invade a fast food restaurant and eat the customers' food off their trays. That's not the best way to win people's affection; I know, I've tried.

The "Basket Case" sequels have more in common with Hennenlotter's "Frankenhooker" than with his "Brain Damage", so if you liked the former then this flick is probably right up your alley (if you don't mind gore that's over-the-top and cartoony instead of realistic- I like either).
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basket Case 3
ryan-100753 April 2019
Here in this lame sequel, Duane (after attempting to sew his brother back onto his body) has been quarantined from the other "freaks" at Granny Ruth's (Annie Ross). He gets released from the rubber room and soon finds out he's going to be an uncle thanks to his now distant brother Belial. They are going to visit Uncle Hal (Dan Biggers) who may be able to assist in delivering the new-born baby. Murder and mayhem soon follows.

If you liked part 2 maybe there is something here that I didn't quite get in Frank Henenlotter's third installment in the BASKET CASE trilogy. To me though the series really had hit a wall, which was sad because I really enjoyed the original, but after two dissatisfactory sequels was glad to see the series end.