Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (Video 1991) Poster

The best in the series
sickosaint4 April 2002
Toulon's Revenge is the best in the whole Puppet Master series (With the exception of part 1 of course. This one goes back to World War II where the Nazi's are p****d off because of Aundre Toulon's

puppet shows giving negative buzz about the Gustopo. And soon they discover that his puppets are actully alive and decide to use Toulon's technology to revive soldiers that were dead to replenish their army. Needless to say everything goes south and puppets spring into action to protect their master.

What makes this movie great is it tells who the puppets are and shows the making and birth of leech woman I give it a 10
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot is a bit much for a PUPPET MASTER movie...
Cowman31 July 2001
During the pre-war era of Berlin in 1941, the Nazi regime is working at creating a drug which will reanimate the dead. Their intent is to use the serum on fallen soldiers in order to render their army invincible. After many failed attempts, Dr. Hess soon learns that the local puppet master Andre Toulon holds the ancient secret of giving life to inanimate objects. Toulon and his legion of puppets must now defend themselves and flee from the pursuing Nazis as they try to capture him and use his powers for evil. This is an exciting and adequately-scripted entry in the still-continuing Puppet Master series, even though the story suffers from a gaping, inexcusable plot hole: the original movie has Toulon committing suicide in 1939, two years before the events in this film. All imperfections aside, however, this still is a decent little flick.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple, Effective & Fun
ccthemovieman-15 August 2006
This horror flick doesn't pretend to be anything but a simple revenge story, and I like that. There are no pretensions. "Toulon" (Guy Rolfe, replacing William Hickey who played the role the first two films) is the puppeteer-extraordinaire whose creations are literally lifelike.

Rolfe and his deadly puppets go after the Nazis after they seek him out for his scientific genius of reanimating puppets. They want that information to use for their evil purposes so "Toulon" and his puppets fight back. It's sort of a do-it-to-them- before-they-do-it-to-us mentality. The head Nazi is played by Richard Lynch and the man reminded me facially of Rutger Hauer.

We see the Mr. Clean-type puppet with the little head and massive body; the puppet who "screws" everyone; the femme fatale and the cowboy "Six Shooter." There is probably someone I forgot, too. All are fun to watch.

The plot is secondary to the puppets doing their thing, eliminating all the bad guys one-by-one and it's all entertaining and done with in less than an hour- and-a-half. I have found the first three in this series all to be good but this is my only "keeper." I sure wish this was available on DVD.

Note: It's rated "R" not just for the violence. There are a couple of quick sex scenes showing bare breasts. Although the film in general might not be considered grade-A quality, it's not as dumb as you might think, either.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really? I thought this was one of the best...
Gislef14 April 1999
Full Moon's attempt at a World War II flick on a low budget is ambitious. Yeah, the acting is a little wooden (what do you expect from puppets? heh), but Lynch, Wolfe, Abercrombie, and Gottell all do okay. Setting up Lynch's character as a puppet is a cute touch since Blade does look like him. This gives some background to the puppets, and sets them up as the potential good guys for subsequent sequels and to take advantage of their popularity. Overall, entertaining.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun "historic" war-time Puppet Master tale
DVD_Connoisseur6 January 2006
The third "Puppet Master" movie is a prequel to the original two movies, showing events occurring in war-time Germany involving Andre Toulon, his wife Elsa and his band of merry wooden men (the puppets not the actors). This time, we see what happens when "Good Puppets Go Bad" as the ensemble of 12" killer characters seek revenge against the Nazis.

"Puppet Master III - Toulon's Revenge" is another building block in the series' mythology, filling in some of the back-story of the main protagonists. There's a continuity error with the timeframe, however, as this film is set in 1941 and, in the original, Toulon committed suicide in 1939! As expected, this is a really fun movie - the film's cast includes the late Walter Gotell as the Nazi general who commands his men with an iron fist but who also has a soft-spot for the local brothel. Gotell's best known for playing the Russian equivalent of "M" in numerous Bond movies. Sarah Douglas who plays Elsa Toulon will be familiar to genre fans as the evil Ursa from "Superman" and "Superman II". Guy Rolfe (Toulon), Richard Lynch (Major Krauss) and Ian Abercrombie (Doctor Hess) also deliver strong performances.

I was surprised at how high budget this film looks. Due to the season in which the film was made, the director settled on filming the external shots over 3 days on the Universal backlot rather than shoot on location in Europe. The results are impressively convincing.

My only complaint was that on the DVD I watched, the Ultra-Stereo soundtrack mixing had a heavy bias to the left channel.

"Puppet Master 3" is something of a rarity thesedays but it's well worth tracking down if you're a fan of the series.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very pleasant surprise
ctomvelu12 September 2009
The most imaginative and best-acted title in the long-running PUPPETMASTER series, Part 3 is actually a prequel that details how Andrte Toulon came to create his puppets during the dark days of World War II. The Nazis wants to use Toulon's secrets to create an army of the undead, and that's when the fun begins. Toulon sics his killer puppets on the Nazis, to spectacularly bloody effect. The puppets are the good guys in this one. What also makes a huge difference here is the introduction of Guy "Mr. Sardonicus" Rolfe as Toulon, a role he would essay in two more sequels. Rolfe is a great Toulon, a charismatic and even sympathetic character who loves his deadly puppets as only a papa creator could. Rolfe lent an air of integrity and distinction to the series. Part 3 is a great little B-horror addition to the series that was shot on the Universal back lot instead of Europe to surprisingly solid effect. A must-see.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B-movie gets a B-plus
WarpedRecord27 October 2007
Maybe this isn't the "Citizen Kane" of rampaging puppet movies, but it's hard to deny the appeal of "Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge" as an extremely entertaining B-movie.

A prequel to the imaginative series, "Toulon's Revenge" recounts how Andre Toulon brought his puppets to life, how the Nazis tried to steal his experiments to raise their dead, and how Toulon struck back with the help of his puppets — Six-Shooter, Blade, Tunneler, Pin Head and Ms. Leech. The film features above-average acting for a Full Moon production, and Guy Rolfe convincingly portrays Toulon. Especially notable is Ian Abercrombie, who played Mr. Pitt in "Seinfeld," as Dr. Hess.

Of course, the highlight of this series is the puppets, and "Toulon's Revenge" does not disappoint. Both the live-action and stop-motion sequences are well-crafted and downright creepy.

Don't ask too many questions, like why the Germans speak English or why Toulon is presented as a good guy when the first "Puppetmaster" painted a much different picture. Just enjoy "Toulon's Revenge" for what it is: an entertaining prequel, no strings attached.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Puppet Master in the series
TrueIrishPunk906 April 2004
Well when I saw Puppet Master 3 in the video store I thought to myself just another stupid sequel. I was fooled this was a great Puppet Master movie. It gives you alot of background information about Toulan and his puppets. The WW2 plot was good too. Alot of people like this one cause it was the most creative. Come on nazis getting slained by little tiny puppets. You also find out how Leech Woman came about. There is some crazy parts like the beginning where the guy awakes on the morgue table burnt to a crisp. Oh yea you find out how every puppet is based on. This movie is a great Full Moon flick. Buy it if you have the money. Or just rent it. It will not dissapoint you.

Rated R for Nudity, Horror Violence, and some language
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Really Good Sequel
NotAnotherMovieCritic14 October 2012
The third part in the Puppet Master films is quite a surprise actually. It might even be better than the first in story telling! The acting is superb, the story is superb and the movie well...it's superb as well! This is actually a prequel to the original films, introducing the characters to us, including a new one named Six Shooter.

This film, without spoiling anything is about killing Nazi's who have destroyed the Puppet Master. It is a very interesting look at events from World War II.

A great installment in the series and well worth watching for the story alone!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bunch of Pinocchios killing Nazis! Sign me up! Puppet Master III was a lot of fun.
ironhorse_iv20 May 2016
The Puppet Masters film series is always been one of my guilty pleasures. It is by no means a series of puppet masterpieces, but it did entertains me, as a kid of the 1990s. Coming off, their success, off of their first two, direct to video, movies, 1989's 'Puppet Master' & 1990's 'Puppet Master II', 1991's 'Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge' is by far, the best film in the series. Directed by David DeCoteau, the entire plot has puppeteer, Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe), somehow back in Europe, and somehow still alive, despite the fact, that he commit suicide in Bodega Bay, CA in 1939 in the opening of the first movie. While, this might look like, a continuous of the first movie's flashback, in reality, this 3rd movie is not. It's a prequel. It's just the Full Moon Entertainment Writers, goofing up with the chronology, and not caring, about explaining it. Whether by accident or design, in the end, they got their WWII movie with puppets. Anyways, when the members of the Nazi Party, notice that the anti-Nazi, Toulon has the ability to animate his puppets without strings. Dr. Hess (Ian Abercrombie) and Major Kraus (Richard Lynch) are ordered to bring him in by General Mueller (Walter Gotell), leading to Toulon going on the run, while, also seeking revenge for the death of his beloved, wife, Elsa (Sarah Douglas). Without spoiling the movie, too much, I have to say, despite the chronology timeline mistake, Puppet Master III is by far, the most developed movie within the Puppet Master franchise. Not only, does this film essentially, tells some of the origin of the puppets, but the film is full of depth and emotion. You really do feel something for the human characters, unlike the other films that was full of unrealistic psychics & parapsychologists. I have to say, I like this version of Andre Toulon. Guy Rolfe does a decent job, making the character more engaging and sympathetic character than William Hickey and Steve Welles's versions. In their defensive, Hickey's scenes in the first movie, were kinda short to develop anything, and Welles's character was written as the bad guy; however I found Hickey to be, a little too old for the part & for Welles, I just didn't like, his 'Invisible Man', style of acting. The supporting cast was just as good as Rolfe, with Richard Lynch commanding the scenes with his film presence. He really look the part. He always found a way to draw your full attention. Still, his character does do, a lot of stupid decisions throughout the film that will make you question, if his character is really a Major, and not a private. Another thing, I like, about this film, is how this film isn't a rethread of the first 2 movies, with the puppets, just randomly killing innocent people. In this, they had reasons to target the Nazis, as many of the puppet souls, were once people that were victims by them. I like the fact, that they made the Puppets into good guys, since after all, they are appealing. Once again, you got Blade, whom looks like a small version of the Fisherman hook killer from 1997's, 'I Know What You Did Last Summer', whom sadly, in this film, get little screen time. I was deeply surprised, by this movie, that Blade was in fact, a boy. I always thought of the puppet as a female. It also get weirder, when you find out that this puppet has the soul of Dr. Hess in it. Blade looks and acts, nothing like Dr. Hess, at all. The only thing, I can see, is that, both, like to cut people. Even with that, it's a bit of a stretch. One thing, I glad, this movie brought back, is Leech Woman. I always hate, the filmmakers of Puppet Master 2, for trying to kill her character. She's by far, one of the most memorable puppets, Toulon has around. It's also cool to see the Conehead lookalike, muscle man mixed with Addams Family Uncle Fester who punch and strangles people, Pinhead, and the Tunneler that has a drill on his head that drills into people. One puppet that I can care less about is Jester. He's pretty much, useless for most of the series. I honestly, don't know, why, he's there. The same, goes to Djinn whom appearance is a bit jarring. He somewhat disappears, after this film. Anyways, this brings up, another issue. This time, with the new puppet, the fun-looking, Six-Shooter cowboy puppet who was made, just for this film. I get that, he's technically in-story, one of the oldest puppets, that Toulon's owns, but what happen to him, since this film. He didn't appear in the first movie, nor the 2nd. Somehow, in the 4th movie, he reappearance. It's very odd. Anyways, the action scenes with them are quite enjoyable, but I never bought the struggle between man Vs puppets. I just can't see, how people in these film, can't overpower them. Anyways, most of their stop motion movement was always fantastic and creepy, however there are some scenes in this film, that the effects needed some work. Director David DeCoteau does a lot with the little amount of money, he got. Surprising, the set design is pretty good. He manage to recreate Nazi Germany quite convincingly on the Universal backlot for a rather modest budget. Still one thing, this movie really goes, over the top with, is the graphic nudity. Did we really need that much, rather, fan service breast shots? Anyways, I might be a bit biased on that, since big boobs are some of my favorite's things to see. Overall: Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge is a step-up from the other two films, however, it's also marks the highest of highs for this film franchise, as the next couple of films, will not get any better. In the end, this is as good as it gets.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sequel to the sequel falls short
kipper-225 December 1998
Full Moon's Puppet Master III is a disappointing sequel to the classic series concerning killer puppets. We are now taken back in time to Nazi Germany and have the general pleasure of watching the puppets beat the hell out of the Nazis. The film is directed actually quite well by David Decoteau, however, a lot of the acting falls short and is flat(probably because we are not gifted with the talents of Paul Lemat(Puppet Master) or Charlie Spradling(Puppet Master II). The movie was filmed on the backlots of Universal Studio, so you may recognize some of the scenery. The new addition to this flick is Six-Shooter, a puppet with 3 pairs of arms, each armed with a gun(how creative). The movie seems to run a little on the long side even though it is only 86 minutes. Only for die hard Puppet Master fans.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nazis vs. Puppets. Can't go wrong.
McGeckoWilson29 June 2008
This is the very best movie in the whole series...and it's still a total pile. I love these movies for the puppets themselves (Blade, Six-Shooter, Torch, etc) and this movie in particular gives you the lovable team of misfits killing Nazis during WWII. Andre' Toulon's wife is murdered by a SS officer for some reason, so he uses his creations to get revenge...hence the title. This movie still sucks but is very fun. Again, cool puppets kill Nazis. As a bonus, this third entry in the series introduces the first appearance of the gunslinging puppet Six-Shooter, which doesn't make sense because this takes place during WWII and the previous, Six-Shooterless two movies take place in "present time." But whatever. What makes this movie stand out above the rest is that the cast, most of all Toulon himself and the main villain, seem to be actually trying to make their characters cool. The lead Nazi is an interesting enough villain for a cheap horror movie and he has a small bit of charisma to keep him going. Toulon himself...at least has an interesting look and voice. The story seems to have a much better construction than any of the other titles. (By the way, do NOT watch "Retro Puppet Master." You will hate yourself for it.) So, this is my favorite. Enjoy.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nazi's versus psychotic puppets
amesmonde20 January 2013
PuppetMaster 3′s glaring narrative, production faults aside (for which there are countless pages on the net) and budget restrictions, this prequel gives an intriguing insight how those little killer puppets came to be. Set in Berlin 1941, evil Nazi's want Toulon's secret formula which animates his puppets to re-animate the Führer's soldiers and make an unstoppable army for the Aryan race.

The puppets get a run for their money in the acting department this time around. Gestapo officer, Major Krauss played excellently by Richard Lynch steals the show along with James Bond recurring actor Walter Gotell as General Mueller. Both Guy Rolfe as Andre Toulon (previously played by William Hickey) and Sarah Douglas (Superman 1 and 2) as Elsa Toulon bring some emotion to the film.

Naturally there's Richard Band's music and thanks to director David DeCoteau and the effects team it's a blast to see the creation of both Blade and Leech Woman. In addition, Jester gets a fair amount of screen- time.

In a film with reanimated dead soldiers and Nazi's versus psychotic puppets, you should already know what you're in for. Without selling the surprisingly good cast ensemble short it's a low budget affair but what a recommended guilty pleasure of entertainment it is.

Where as the first film had the burning question of – What happened to Theresa? The burning question with three is – if Toulon shot himself in 1939 what is he doing alive and well in 1941? Answers on a postcard
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
TEAQUIEMORO13 July 2006
This Puppet Master was one of the greatest Puppet Master series,this movie was very excellent. It had a great explanation of how the Puppet Master began, it showed how Leech Woman and Blade was born.b Leech woman was born by a Mr. Major Krauss killed Mrs. Toulon and Mr. Toulon put her soul into Leech Woman. And Blade was dressed and based on Major Krauss,and it showed an appearance of Six-Shooter. And this showed a great realistic fiction war on this movie. It was sad, it was scary, it was Revenge, this was kick ass movie that you have to see.A wonderful movie in the 90's, this surly needs 9 out of ten stars. And if your and Puppet Master fan this is perfect for you, your number one best P.M.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"No mercy my friends. No mercy."
lost-in-limbo4 April 2010
The third entry of the straight-to-video series in producer Charles Band's Full Moon's "Puppet Master" goes for a prequel set-up in outlining the origins of Andre Toulon and his animated puppets in the backdrop of a war-torn Berlin through the Nazis uprise in WW2.

During WW2 the Nazis led by Dr. Hess are conducting experiments on life and death, which involves reviving their dead to increase their manpower. However Hess is having trouble controlling his test subjects and the animation doesn't last for long. But Andre Toulon and his life-like puppets capture his eyes, but also that of the Gestapo's Major Krauss who sees Toulon and his puppet show negative propaganda against Nazi regime. They raid his theatre and in the process Toulon's wife is murdered by Krauss. Toulon manages to escape custody and then seeks revenge with the help of his puppets while on the run from the Gestapo.

"Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge" is a straightforward (puppeteer of revenge), but effective low-budget b-picture that's a tad more ambitious and constructively complete in its narrative's vision than its formulaic, but playful predecessors. I would tag it as the best of the lot, so far. There's excellent performances stemming from the likes of Guy Rolfe (who sympathetically fills the role as Toulon), Ian Abercrombie and a suitably nasty, cold hearted villain turn by Richard Lynch as Nazi Major Krauss. Rolfe and Lynch simply standout, giving it a little more professionalism and class. What also makes their acting noticeable is that they have a better than average script, which is suggestively tailored and tightly projected in letting the plot evolve and giving space to provide a back-story to the puppets (especially that of Leech woman and Blade). Director David DeCoteau's compact handling is quickly paced and uses the obvious back-lot sets quite well where he crafts lasting tension, seamless excitement and atmospheric imagery of the artistically etched puppets (which once again are expertly engineered and brought across) as they gleefully hand out violently nasty and bloody attacks on the Nazis. Richard Band's recycled score is still as racy, but consisting of an edgy kick within the darker moments.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you only see one Puppet Master movie...
Speechless26 November 2000
Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge is easily the best of the series. Of course that's not saying much, and the film definitely has its flaws, but if you watch the films in order you will be amazed at the jump in quality from the awful first two movies to this third installment.

First, and perhaps most importantly, the movie takes the series in a new direction by NOT setting it in a boring hotel with stupid, lifeless characters. That setup was tired and lame when the first film came out, and then the second one took the exact same concept and somehow made it even more pointless.

What amazes me is how well the movie handles a topic as sensitive as Nazi Germany. It's certainly not Schindler's List--the "Germans" are obviously not German, most of the acting is sketchy at best, and some scenes are very, very boring. But the movie actually seems to respect the time period, and never pokes fun at the Nazis or what they did. Indeed, Toulon's explanation of how he makes his puppets gives everything a much more poignant significance. Too bad it all conflicts with the rest of the series, where Toulon is usually a monster and occasionally fights his wooden creations. Everything would have been so much better if only they had used this story for the entire series. Even more amazing is how the film manages to deliver the comedy and inventive death scenes Puppet Master fans expect without ever cheapening the time period or feeling like a different movie. The demise of the main Nazi is easily one of the most gruesome deaths I've seen on film. I bet it took them days to come up with it.

Puppet Master III isn't a classic, and it's not even really very good, but the rest of these movies make it look like Casablanca. See it with friends and a pizza.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bad sequel, part 1 and 2 were more suspenseful.
Beyondtherain19 March 2020
This one has better lead roles, but a lot takes place at daytime and shooting in a stuido backlot made it dull at times. Take out some blood and this could've easily been a PG 13 sequel...the puppets are starting to become good guys it looks like... I'll have to watch part 4.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cream of the crap ..........
merklekranz28 February 2020
Generally regarded as the best of the "Puppet Master" series, "Puppet Master 3" has one thing that elevates it above #1 and #2, and that is Richard Lynch as the head Nazi who hunts puppets. Whenever Lynch is cast as the top villain, which is almost always, he does not disappoint. The story itself could best be described as a long game of hide and seek, with Guy Rolfe and his puppets constantly on the move trying to evade Lynch and his SS Troopers. Of course such a simplistic plot eventually wears thin, but the brief flashes of puppet violence help somewhat. Even though "Full Moon" offers a full line of toy puppets, the film is clearly not aimed at children due to the violence and nudity. Despite this questionable marketing, apparently there is an audience for this type of entertainment. - MERK
Best in Puppet Master Series
ryan-1007524 August 2019
This the third in series is a prequel and shares really a great backstory to the puppet master Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe). Set in 1941 (so I suppose forget about the fact that he killed himself in 1939 in the original) Germany where the Nazis are after Toulon after he jokes toward Hitler during his puppet shows and also the knowledge that the puppets move on their own. For the Nazis want Toulon's secret for their own devious plans.

The one thing that really does set this film apart from the previous two and likely all that follow (I have only seen until part 6) is the acting. Guy Rolfe plays Toulon and really gives a great performance. The best portrayal of Toulon and extremely different than the Toulon in part 2. Richard Lynch as usual plays the bad guy, but here plays Major Kraus. He doesn't just look mean for there is more to his evil character than just that. Finally, Ian Abercrombie plays Dr. Hess who is heading Nazi research to bring the dead back to life. He as well does a fine job in portraying his character. Another thing is I feel this entry is well written by C. Courtney Joyner.

Now there are some things that were not around in 1941, for example nudie mags I don't think were around until the '50s, but I forgive this film for reasons I mentioned above, having characters I care about and it being by far the best I have seen in the series to date.

But what about the puppets, man? Yep, they are still creating havoc, but in this entry we see the creation of both Leech Woman and Blade. The new puppet here is Six-Shooter and I think he is my favourite puppet of the bunch.

Also starring Walter Gotell as General Mueller, Sarah Douglas as Toulon's wife Elsa and former adult movie star Michelle Bauer as Lili.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Six Shooter Is Firing On All Barrels...
stephenabell12 August 2019
So in this third segment of the Puppet Master Epic, we are transported back to World War II and the Nazi's. Forever looking for the upper hand the German military command has come across rumours of Andre Toulon. It's said his marionette show has puppets without strings. If the Riech could mobilise such a force then they would be unstoppable. After Toulon refuses to help Major Kraus his wife Elsa is murdered. Upon his escape, helped by his trustworthy puppets, Toulon sets out for revenge.

Even though this is primarily a revenge story the writers, Charles Band and C Courtney Joiner, give the audience so much more. There's intrigue, adventure, action, and human interest. This tome is one of the better and stronger stories in the collection. This makes this film a rarity... it's better than the original. Like that movie, this straddles a few genres. This isn't just a horror flick. You have dark fantasy and chiller elements in the tale too. The best thing about this film is the fact the puppets are not evil. Killers yes, evil no. For example, when Jester has to attack to save Toulon he looks positively worried as he dashes across the floor. The brilliant thing with Jester is his ability to change the emotions on his face. So, yes he looks worried but he still attacks. It's still this dichotomy, for me, that lifts the story above the average and away from the horror genre.

Add to this the nice direction of David DeCoteau, who has no trouble getting down to the marionettes level, and the film gets stronger. It's also wonderful he had a bigger budget. Whereas the two previous films had limited sets, here we have over five different locations and some outdoor shots. DeCoteau is good at using subtle lighting to create atmosphere along with a sense of unease, and the soundtrack helps with this creation.

The special effects are beautiful and gruesome - the end Major Kraus puppet especially. Done in low light so he's silhouetted just makes it eerier to see. Add the blood jettisoning from his wrist and I admit I, "Oooh"'ed. The puppets themselves were handled brilliantly and the numerous techniques should keep the viewer asking, "how did they do that?" It was expressly nice to see the creation of Leech Woman.

Then we have the acting. Once again, this is stronger than the previous films. On the whole, Guy Rolfe is good as Toulon, though when his wife is murdered the acting is a little apathetic. I expected more anger and outrage. The star of this show is Richard Lynch as Major Kraus. He has the perfect tone to the character and makes the film with his easy nastiness. Now I love Walter Gotell, he's such a superb actor, and he is here as General Mueller... though I have to ask myself did he take the part because most his role was set in a brothel and he was surrounded by semi-clad beautiful girls... Hhmmm!

This is the second film in the series that I would gladly recommend. For me though, the first movie still has something, which is elusive for me to name, that makes it a film to rewatch time after time. If you're a multi-genre fan, based primarily in horror and dark fantasy, you should enjoy this film. It is very enjoyable and an ideal way to spend a creepy dark night in with your beloved...

Feel free to check out my Absolute Horror, Obsidian Dreams (Fantasy), and Killer Thriller Chillers lists to see where this movie ranks - or to check for an interesting movie to watch.
Pop Culture Thoughts
popculturethoughts1 December 2018
The strongest of the "Puppet Master" movies thus far, this prequel manages to push the franchise further by transplanting the action from modern times to Nazi-occupied Berlin of the 1940s. Although Holocaust-themed B-horror movies are typically disastrous, director David DeCoteau manages to craft a surprisingly engaging little yarn about love and revenge that benefits tremendously from the addition of Six-Shooter, a six-armed cowboy puppet that radiates malevolent energy, and the lead performance of Guy Rolfe (of 1987's "Dolls"), who brings class and elegance to the proceedings.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge.....Blade's Origin Revealed!
robertandrews-4455627 October 2018
The third entry in the Puppet Master franchise is a prequel to the first two, and takes place in Nazi Germany in 1941. Andre' Toulon (now played by the terrific Guy Rolfe) is a successful puppeteer who entertains the local children with magical puppet shows. He is married and deeply in love with his wife Elsa (Sarah Douglas), who he creates a puppet in her image to honor her. Toulon's puppet shows soon get the attention of Nazi spies, who discover that his puppets seem to perform without strings. Because they are interested in creating a line of undead super-soldiers, they believe Toulon's secret could be of use to them.

The research is being led by the good-natured Dr. Hess (Ian Abercrombie), who is constantly bullied and pressured by the evil Major Kraus (Richard Lynch). When they confront Toulon in his theater, they mercilessly murder Elsa. Toulon, with the help of his puppets, manages to escape. Seeking revenge on the Nazis, he places Elsa's soul into the puppet he made for her, which becomes Leech Woman. After ordering them to kill a great number of Nazis, Toulon befriends Dr. Hess. When Dr. Hess is fatally stabbed and dies, however, Toulon puts his soul into his latest puppet, Blade, and they set out to take revenge on Kraus.

Another great entry in the Puppet Master franchise. This one is much more personal and feel-good than any of the previous films and is fantastic at showing the origins of Leech Woman and Blade.

Bad Nazis meet their (Puppet) Master
kosmasp1 August 2018
I reckon this is the first one where we really establish the Puppets as "good". If you fight one of the "ultimate" evils (bear with me on this one or play along), than you have to be good, no matter how evil you are yourself. Or at least how mean and vicious, not to mention entirely violent and murderous. But that's the tale of the Puppets.

And their master of course. The one in the movie and the ones behind the scenes of the movie, doing a really good job controlling them - pun intended. Effects are nice and the story may take us back, but I guess you have to stick with the story - or not. You know just watch it for the deaths and carnage. Whatever works for you. I reckon movie wise this is the best I've seen yet (up to movie 7 at this point).
Another bad sequel.
paulclaassen17 June 2018
This time around we go back in time to learn who Andre Toulon was, and how the puppets came to be. Interestingly enough, the film is set in 1941, but as we know from the first film, Toulon committed suicide in 1939. Laden with bad acting and dialogue and bad German accents, this is a real B-movie. Even the puppet effects are not that good and later in the film even annoying. There is no suspense to this very thin plot. In fact, there is nothing here to prevent it from falling apart.
Puppet Master Glory
ethanmitchell-7631328 March 2018
Puppet Master 3 is to me much better than the original two, not only that, it's one of my favorites in the entire franchise. Don't get me wrong though this is a Puppet Master movie so it won't be without its cheesy low budget feel, just like anything else put out by Full Moon. I'm always surprised when I see other reviews say that it's the worst acted of the franchise because I always felt that that was one of the better aspects of the movie! That amongst many other things is one of the reasons I really enjoy this film.

The plot is much different than that of the first two. We find ourselves going back in time to Nazi Germany where the Nazi's are trying to re-animate the dead using drugs. Eventually Andre Toulon raises suspicion with his puppet show and his secrets are then discovered. After the Nazi's cause a great personal tragedy trying to capture him and the secret to his puppets Toulon begins to seek his revenge against the Nazi's.

The time change in this movie for me helps a great deal, it doesn't feel quite as worn out as the first two and still holds up pretty well today. The idea to tackle Nazi Germany was a very ambitious thing that most low budget movies wouldn't even consider, but I'm glad Full Moon did, it's necessary for us to see these things if we are to truly understand the origins of Andre Toulon and his puppets. For around an $800,000 budget and shooting in the backlot of Universal Studios Puppet Master 3 does an amazing job of putting me in the location.

The puppets in this movie are awesome as always and they get a decent amount of screen time, learning how each puppet came to be is engaging and watching Toulon build his most famous puppet Blade is exciting, I felt my anticipation building for Blade the entire movie. Once Blade does make his way into the movie he makes his presence felt, as only Blade could. He is only in the movie for a short amount of time and that is one of the down sides of it at least if you're a Blade fan. We see the introduction of the Six Shooter puppet dressed like a cowboy, he is a fun character and is always giggling and smiling. He has some fun scenes especially one where he kills a despised Nazi General, unfortunately before this takes place we see Six Shooter climbing a building and wires are obviously visible. I will say this movie made me care about the puppets and I really didn't want to see any of them die, being a prequel I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen but a few scenes still had me worried about them.

This is the first Puppet Master film in which Toulon and his Puppet creations truly make the switch from bad guys to good guys, which I think was necessary for the story, Toulon wasn't a likeable character in prior installments, but with the prequel story shown in part 3 Guy Rolfe does a great job of making us care for him. There are a few plot holes with the continuity though, it had been said prior to part 3 that Toulon committed suicide in 1939, when this movie is set in 1941. I'm no history buff but this could have been done to fit the historical timeline involving Hitler and the Nazi's or it could just be a mistake on behalf of Full Moon, either way it doesn't really bother me, but I have to give the film a mark down for that. This is a Puppet Master movie, you can't go into it expecting some sort of greatness and you can't expect it to be problem free, this is a movie for pure horror fans and fans of the franchise. So you can't be critical of the movie in a serious way or that takes all the enjoyment out of it, it's undeniable that this is a fun movie! There are obvious mistakes that just with a retake or proper editing could have easily been fixed, plus 1 or 2 continuity issues but besides that there are no major problems present in this film. The Puppet Master movies ruled the direct to video market and flooded video stores around the nation, I have very fond memories of renting these movies and loving them as a kid, and as I have grown up my opinion hasn't changed and neither has this movie. I can only hope we continue to see the Puppet Master franchise thrive today.