Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) Poster

TAKE THAT, YOU DINOSAUR!
bbrasher124 November 2003
***** BUY THIS DVD **** A MUST-SEE *** WELL DONE ** HAS REDEEMING MERIT * PATHETIC TIME-WASTER 0 DOG TURD

As a time travel story, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH isn't very good.

As a knock-down drag out kaiju flick, it's a must-see.

Three years after his battle with Biollante, Godzilla still poses a threat to Japan(so what else is new?). At this point, visitors from the distant future appear out of nowhere and offer to get rid of Mr. G by erasing his existence. Unfortunately, they replace him with King Ghidorah and threaten to wipe out Japan unless the government caves into their demands to rebuild the country on their terms. To no one's surprise, one of the visitors happens to be a descendant of Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley.(just kidding folks!)

On the minus side, GxKG contains plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. One example being, if Godzilla was erased from history, why do people from the present time still acknowledge his existence?

On the plus side, there is enough monster mayhem to make up for any shortcomings. The battle scenes and city stomping are among the best seen in any movie of its kind. Along with that, there is the most inane Plan-nine-from-outer-space type dialog (this among the American "actors" on the battleship) ever seen in a Godzilla movie. It's bad enough to be entertaining!

Overall, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH is worth the time...and you can tell that to your son when he's born, Major Spielberg!

Rating: **** out of ***** (original Japanese version)
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No more Mr. Nice Godzilla
TVholic3 November 1999
"Size does matter." So proclaimed the ad campaign of the Americanized Godzilla foisted upon us by Emmerich and Devlin in 1998. If only they had paid more attention to movies like this before they tried to retool Godzilla. Because their overgrown iguana is no match for the towering behemoth of indestructible, nuclear-fueled fury introduced in this movie.

Untold legions of fans grew up with the original Godzilla in the '60s and '70s. We found comfort in the quite cheesy special effects, massive plot holes, extreme overacting, and hilarious dubbing. Not to mention the martial strains of Akira Ifukube's trademark musical scores. The heisei series of second generation Godzilla movies may have offended some purists, but did stick with many of the same elements. Many of the effects were now very good, but others were still unintentionally laughable. The dubbing, of course, was as bad as ever. Logic is the last thing one should expect from a Godzilla plot, and it's not very much in evidence here. But this is all how we like it!

From the tortuous contortions of the time travel plot came a new Godzilla, leaner and far meaner than ever before. No more would he be the protector of Japan. Along with the new origin backstory for Godzilla, we're treated to one for this new King Ghidora, which resembles the original Ghidrah only in name and appearance. But while it took the combined might of all of Japan's monsters to slay Ghidrah, the new and improved Godzilla singlehandedly slew Ghidorah without working up a sweat. Truly a force to be reckoned with.

It's a shame that the second generation films were never released theatrically in the US and only recently released on video. Americans deserved to see that there wasn't a vacuum between Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla (1998). And a generation of American kids, too young to find the old films interesting, lost a chance to be hooked on what's arguably a cultural icon.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Admirable late-night programming - fantastic fun entertainment!
Ben Parker28 June 2004
Hitchcock would have admired the no-nonsense progression of this movie. There's no stuffing around with unnecessary sub-plots or boring character histories basically what we want to hear about is Godzilla.

This is from the modern series of Godzilla redoes. The original was 1955, and millions of camp sequels followed in the 60's - and now these latest movies in the 90's. So this looks like a modern movie - with modern technology available, yet they've retained the puppet-like Godzilla. Many have complained at how fake it looks - but considering all the other self-reference, they've definitely done it one purpose. Why do Godzilla computer animated when the vintage puppet Godzilla is so fun!

There's nothing better than a camp movie that knows its camp - this is very fun stuff. For example, the obvious parody of American sci-fi flicks: we see two US soldiers discussing casually how they'll take over the island they've just discovered "yes, the stars and stripes will fly here too." And they see our heroes flying in on their time machine/ufo and think its a space ship (which it is). One says to the other: "Let's just keep this secret. You can tell your son about it, when he's born, Major Spielberg." The slickness of the entertainment actually is the best homage to Spielberg here. These are the kinds of movies Spielberg makes, and the kind of movies we all used to love when we were kids. Good on them, I say.

There is plenty of sci-fi action: UFOs, time machines and futuristic creatures. There are also references to American war movies in the war-like sequences with US troops fighting Godzilla on the Bikini Atoll (or whatever atoll it is - one famous for Nuclear testing). There's adventure, also: the troupe going back in a time machine to 1954 to try and wipe Godzilla from existence is a very exciting adventure premise.

7/10. Thoroughly recommended entertainment.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Make my day
wilson trivino26 August 2014
This film came to my attention when I attended the first Monsterama Con in 2014 in Atlanta. One of the honored guests was Robert Scott Field who played an android. According to Fields, this film has been recognized as the third best Godzilla movie of all time. In Japan it received the equivalent to our Oscar Award. This film delves back to the origin of Godzilla and the epic battle with his equal King Ghidorah. The future visitors to modern 1990 Japan warn of destruction and want to change the course of the future but manipulating the present. A fun use of old school special effects and fun to see movies made pre- CGI. This movie is a joy for any Godzilla enthusiast. His name is Godzilla!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Giant monsters + Time Traveling = Awesome goodness
AwesomeWolf5 November 2004
Version: Japanese, with English subtitles. Possible Spoilers.

Although it may not sound like it, this is one of Godzilla's best movies. Some dudes from the future visit Japan in 1991, and inform the Japanese government that Japan in the future has been nearly destroyed by Godzilla, and they have come back to help. Why 1991? Well, at that time, Kenichiro Terasawa is writing his book about the origins of Godzilla. So, the future dudes take a team from 1991 back in time to see Godzilla before he was famous, living on an island in the Pacific. Godzilla is wounded by US Navy ships, and transported to the icy Bering Sea. Of course, when they return to 1991, it becomes apparent that the future-dudes have their own agenda (bet ya didn't see that coming). Godzilla has disappeared from history, and King Ghidorah has emerged, and is trashing Japan, and of course controlled by the future dudes who are holding modern-Japan to ransom.

The story is pretty complicated, especially given all the time-travel stuff. Why the big-G has it in for Japan comes out a bit in an in interesting sub-plot. They missed a good opportunity to explore fate & destiny (ala Chrono Cross), but I suppose it would have detracted from the giant-monster action (and why else would you watch a Godzilla movie?).

The giant-monster action in this movie is way cool. We see King Ghidorah trashing Japan, Godzilla (before he was famous) stomp all over US marines, Godzilla trashing Japan, and finally, the big-G and King Ghidorah face-off in Tokyo, in one of my favourite kaiju fight-scenes ever.

The acting by the American characters is generally pretty bad, and the references to Steven Spielberg and The Terminator are funny (in a cheesy way).

4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ (1991)
SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain13 December 2011
Godzilla and time travel fumble around with each other in an enjoyable but confusing entry. It mostly confuses because the time travel plot doesn't make much sense. Why do the aliens just move Godzilla? Who knows. It's great to see a bit more origin, even if it doesn't all add up. There are some excellent comedic scenes, aided by some hammy acting. The scene with a Mr. Spielberg is a great laugh out loud moment. The war scenes are a little something new, and the anti Americanism has been blown out of proportion. One of the characters even says that the dinosaur was just protecting its island. Ghidorah soon makes an appearance, and there's even more fun to be had with Mecha-Ghidorah. This was a jump back into the cheesiness of earlier films, but after the undeserved failure of the previous installment, that was to be expected.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hugely enjoyable in spite of logical flaws
max williams24 June 2006
There's a lot to dislike in this film: awful English scripts, more plot holes than plot, and a long wait before Godzilla finally shows up.

Luckily, all of these flaws are made up for by its awesome monster battles, fantastic music, cheesy humor, and sheer entertainment. In the end, the balance is positive, and anyone who can get over their logical disbelief should have a lot of fun with this movie. It reminds us that there's more to movies than dull realism and sophisticated storytelling.

It's no masterpiece, but its definitely one of the Big G's most fun films.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Ever ( with the exception of the original )
bruce-marshall222 December 2004
Godzilla films were cheap and tacky in the sixty's ( if you have seen one you will know what I mean ). But things were looking up because after a short break Godzilla returned in 1984 to his old city bashing self. I myself have not seen the "Return of Godzilla", but I have seen the film Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. To tell you the truth I love the film!!!!!!!! It is by far my favourite along with the "Original" and "Godzilla vs Destoroyah". Godzilla was redesigned and the men in suits were replaced with.... MORE MEN IN SUITS!!! But at least they looked like real monsters and not an over wait deformed puppy. My favourite monster was also redesigned, King Ghidorah looks amazing compared with his original form. The plot, men (and a woman) from the future come and stop Godzilla being born and in stead stick three little animals in its place, they then turn into King Ghidorah. Who go's on a complete rampage until Godzilla turns up. There is a huge fight in which King Ghidorah dies and the Future men are killed apart from one. She go's back to her time creates Mecha-Ghidorah. To save Japan from Godzilla who in the mean time continued King Ghidorah rampage. I give this film 10/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a true clash of the titans
notyep0517988 April 2004
This Godzilla film, being the third in the second series, offers a lot of things for the fan . This is the plot: People from the future come to present day Japan to warn the citizens about the threat that is Godzilla and that he will totally destroy Japan and offer their assistance to get rid of it. The futurians deves a plan to go back to the past to the event in which Godzilla was created by moving him from the site where the atomic bomb was used to create him to a neutral location. However, the futurians have an ulterior motive, they create King Ghidorah and use him to destroy Japan, for economical reasons. Unfortunately thier plan to get rid of Godzilla backfires greatly. Not only did they not get rid of Godzilla, but he comes back bigger and more powerful than he was before, and that spells major trouble for both the futurians and Japan.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the Godzilla flick of the decade
dr_foreman23 January 2004
Every ten years or so, Toho grinds out a great little Godzilla movie. This was their classic for the 1990s.

I usually don't like my Godzilla films to get cluttered up with silly science fiction, but in this movie, the time-travel elements are used very deftly to give us insight into the big G's origins. I also love the appearance of a cybernetic King Ghidorah in the final battle, who looks a heck of a lot cooler than any version of Mechagodzilla.

Some of the more interesting elements include a businessman who owes a debt to Godzilla (yes, really!) and renegades from the future who want to destroy Japan's economy. There's a fair amount of criticism leveled at the Americans, but also some self-criticism too, so in the end I think the cultural conflicts in this film are explored rather fairly.

Special effects are definitely a cut above what you'd expect. Ray beams zing back and forth between the battling titans, leveling all those lovely model buildings in the way. Somehow, the spectacle works; it makes me wish that we'd do more model effects in America, but we seem firmly entrenched in the era of lame CGI.

On the downside, the World War II battle segments are tacky, and some plot elements are glossed over (it seems absurdly easy to change M11 into a good guy!). However, this is still the most fun you'll have with Godzilla; the only superior entries in the series, the original "Gojira" and the mighty "GMK," are more dramatic in tone.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Monster Battles, Music, and City Destruction, but...
Michael A. Martinez16 December 2007
With Godzilla films, or any other giant monster on the rampage type film, there is a certain level of suspension of disbelief required... but even in the realm of Godzilla where everything from numerous alien invasions, giant robots, and telepathic twin fairies are possible this movie STILL pushed the limits of believability.

So apparently, Japan in World War 2 was in the habit of hiring soldiers in their 50's and 60's who would not age a day in the next 47 years? Buy some make-up, people! This is the first Godzilla movie to deal heavily with time travel, which can be cool if handled well (BACK TO THE FUTURE) but if handled badly (TIMECOP) can quickly get convoluted and messy, or like this film make no sense at all. It doesn't help that several science fiction elements are jumbled together, complete with androids, flying saucers, biogenetically engineered pets who mutate into Godzilla's biggest foe, etc.

After the groundbreaking work on 1985 and BIOLLANTE, the special effects work here is definitely a mixed bag with lots of good pyrotechnics and miniature skylines that look almost real, but some poor model photography, frequently out of focus. The acting from the non-Japanese cast members (like the bad guys and the US servicemen in the world war 2 flashback) is dire, and for some reason baby Godzilla sounds like Rodan (or Gamera when he gets hurt). I have a feeling Sony/Columbia/Tristar dubbed the Heisei series badly on purpose just to make their GODZILLA 98 movie look better in comparison.

The English dubbing here is ATROCIOUS (even worse than GODZILLA 2000) with such instances as when a fighter pilot shrieks "I'm.... I'm spinning!" when he rolls his plane away from Ghidorah (in an otherwise neat aerial battle)... or the famous bit where the navy guy yells "Take that, you dinosaur!" while his soldiers on the beach are yelling "Keep firing! What is this thing? Keep firing!". It's almost like 6 year olds wrote the English language translation. Also, while the monster effects are neat, the android running scenes are just laughable... like something Ed Wood would do.

However, I can't completely dismiss this mess of a film as it has plentiful and good scenes of city destruction and monster battles, complete with lots of good explosions, editing, and best-of-all, Akira Ifukube returns as composer with one of his best scores up to that point. It's also neat to see a few familiar Godzilla movie faces, such as Kenji Sahara and Katsuhiko Sasaki, and fortunately the psychic woman from BIOLLANTE is barely in it, making me wonder why she was even cast at all. She singlehandedly ruined the Heisei series, as psychics and Godzilla totally don't mix. This was all much better back in the early 60's when the effects were worse but the scripts were simpler.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh man, where do I start with this...
Leigh Burne23 July 2014
This film is probably the most wonderful mess I've ever seen. It's loaded with plot holes, full of terrible dubbing and dialogue, and some hysterical 'special' effects (I'm looking at you, sprinting future android...)

To summarise the plot (probably an exercise in futility):

Some future dudes come back in time and offer to save Japan from Godzilla, who in their time has totally destroyed the country. They go back in time some more, to WWII, and teleport the dinosaur that would become Godzilla under the polar ice cap so he's safely out of the way (because just killing him would be too hard, I guess). However, before leaving, the future dudes leave some future furbies behind.

Upon returning to the present (where everyone still knows about Godzilla, even though he never existed) it turns out the furbies were turned into King Ghidorah by the nuclear testing that would have created Godzilla, and the future people are using him (somehow) to smash the hell out of Japan. Turns out those naughty future people lied - in their time Japan is an economic megapower that basically rules the world, and they hijacked the time machine to come back and destroy them in the past... or something. Not sure why they bothered to enlist the the help of present-day Japanese to achieve this, rather than just doing it themselves.

But anyway, the future dudes are undone when their Japanese team-member (who was apparently fine with this scheme until now) betrays them, and hatches a plan with the Japanese government to re-create Godzilla using a nuclear submarine in the hopes he will destroy King Ghidorah. But it turns out Godzilla has in fact already been created because a Russian nuclear sub just happened to crash in the exact same spot where the future people had dumped the dinosaur in the past (again begging the question why they didn't just kill it). Godzilla heads to a Ghidorah- ravaged Japan and monster smackdowns ensue. Godzilla wins, Ghidorah is destroyed and the evil future people are killed. The end, right?

Nope. Godzilla now turns on Japan and begins smashing things up big time. So the future Japanese lady goes back to the future (where apparently the plan to destroy Japan has been abandoned), finds King Ghidorah's corpse, turns him into cyborg Mecha-King Ghidorah and pilots him back in time to fight Godzilla in the ruins of Tokyo. More questions, such as why didn't you travel back to a point *before* Godzilla trashed half of Japan, arise. Mecha-King Ghidorah eventually emerges from the brawl victorious, crashing into the ocean and taking Godzilla with him.

Future heroine returns to her own time, but not before telling one of our heroes she is in fact a descendant of his in an apparently emotional scene that adds precisely nothing to the film. Beneath the ocean, Godzilla awakens as the credits roll.

And all that happens in *one* movie.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to watch this mess. Despite only being an hour and forty-five long, with all the stuff going on it feels like a three-hour epic. There's so much crazy - the future android in particular is absolutely hysterical pretty much any time it's on screen - and the needlessly convoluted plot has more holes than Swiss cheese. Add to that those classic Godzilla model effects that manage to be both very impressive and utterly lame all at the same time and you're onto a winner.

I don't even know what score to give this. But it's best taken with a healthy dose of alcohol.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Godzilla, King Ghidorah, and Time Travel......
gigan-9227 April 2009
The third entry in the Heisei Godzilla series, and a great one at that. One reason to love it if you're a fan, as myself, is that King Ghidorah returns!! Just as maniacal and evil as he was in the Showa films. Unfortunately, King Ghidorah would be a 'good guy' the next time him and Godzilla face off, in GMK, in ten years. This film is famous for revealing the Monster King's origin. More on that later...

Akira Ifukbe also returns to score the film, bringing back Godzilla and Ghidorah's original themes, which both sound spectacular. The human characters are pretty throughout,but the action sequences sub-par. One major problem with this film is simply that Kazuki Omori's screenplay called for too much human action that the budget was definitely not big enough for. However that wasn't the point in this film, at least most of the time, with its political statements and essentially deep plot, if you look at it in a satirical yet intricate perspective. In fact there are quite a bit of themes in this film if you dig deep enough and don't dismiss the film for Toho's expected budget. Moving away from that, Ghidorah not only has a new look, but a new origin. I could explain it, but you'll get it after seeing it a few times I assume. The King of Darkness looked great and his rampage scenes look awesome. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he wasn't given his original roar ( or shriek, whatever you want to call it) and instead a modified Rodan-cackle. Whatever....

Godzilla looks incredible and I love his roar. He doesn't appear till the last 38 minutes but once he does he gets plenty of action scenes that were well done for the most part. The Godzillasaurus was a cool monster and its fight with the Navy vessels was great. It wasn't till later I realized they used Gamera's roar as the creature dies, I guess a bit of a spoof of some sort. I guess Toho had no idea Gamera would return in 1995 with a new series of films that would challenge Godzilla as the Monster King. Mecha-King Ghidorah was a nice edition as well and the final battle was top notch. To me, however, the battle between the two title monsters was the best and one of the best in the Heisei series. I admire it for its creativity and for its physical side. The part where Ghidorah uses his python like necks to strangle Godzilla was my favorite moment.

Mr. Shindo and Godzilla's confrontation was actually a bit moving. But when a story involves time travel, there are bound to be flaws. To go into this continuity catastrophe with great detail would be too much for this review. So despite the continuity of the Heisei series now ruined, this film deserves respect for great monsters and its other aspects and I still find it enjoyable to watch. You'll literally rate it two stars lower if you watch the Sony Tristar dub, seeing as it was f*ckin terrible to say the least.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"How could any of this be possible?"
rhinocerosfive-113 March 2009
This is one of those movies in which people keep saying "That's a great idea!" about the worst ideas you've ever heard. Then they act on them. I like it. This picture's funnier than any 3 dozen Seth Rogen projects. Well, so is SHOAH.

Gojira movies have been cannibalizing their own origin-stories since the 60s, but this one goes further. What can you say about a culture willing to rape its own sacred cultural icons for a quick buck? This travesty presents a WW2 suicide brigade on "the last of the Marshall Islands" presenting arms to a dinosaur who chased the US Marines away. Then the Japanese inexplicably decide not to fight to the last man, and instead abandon the territory annexed on their behalf by this giant lizard. They retreat to the mainland, where one of them becomes a business tycoon.

Then it gets complicated.

Blonde men from the future, irritable over not yet curing male pattern baldness, come back in time in a sort of flying saucer to ask a failed writer and a celebrity psychic for their help in eliminating Godzilla before he destroys Japan. The "help" is questionable, as all these 1992 citizens do is go back to 1944 to watch some closed-circuit TV, but, hey, they shot the script. You would think that by the 90s the Japanese would know better than to trust people in spaceships. Fortunately for Nippon, the white guys - you can tell they're American because they say "nucyaler" - erred by bringing back in time the one Japanese girl left in the future. In a touching display of ancestor worship, she outs their duplicity after donning a flying suit made from ductwork taped to a Sailor Moon backpack. Turns out these time-traveling, fashion-disabled Caucasians are just jealous of Japan's impending economic imperialist takeover of the known world (in the 22d century Japan's going to buy Africa, which sounds more like a liability than an asset). These blondes in padded chintz suits with nonfunctioning straps and redundant zippers want to replace Godzilla with King Ghidorah, who will destroy all of Japan except Tokyo. A strange choice, but Toho's been known to go out of its way not to have to build that Tokyo skyline set again.

Sure enough, we are given the alternate spectacle of Fukuoka ("my garden city") and some other heretofore unscathed-by-rubber-monster metropolitan areas being laid waste by a flying gold metalflake 1/3 of a hydra. In a surprise revelation, we are informed that King Ghidorah was created from some hand puppets left too long in the microwave. Godzilla also does his share of demolition as the movie winds down. Wait - didn't the spaceship blondes already destroy Godzilla? Yeah, they killed him in the third reel. But nobody expected that the Japanese of 1992 had a secret submarine filled with nuclear missiles - "Ha ha, don't worry. We don't keep it in Japanese waters" - with which to jumpstart a new Godzilla from the bones of an old dinosaur. Only they don't have to, because a leaky old nuclear shipwreck has already made Godzilla whole again. Oh, and Godzilla finally gets to Tokyo, reuniting with his old army buddy in a heartwarming moment of tearful recognition. They look into each other's eyes, and Godzilla nods as if to say, "Gotta do it, man." The tycoon nods in understanding. Then Godzilla blows him up.

I should also mention here that, in order to prevent Godzilla's revamped angry self from fulfilling his destiny and destroying Japan, the Japanese girl from the future goes BACK to the future to ask for help from - yes - a balding white man. Probably because he pities her as the sole Asian character from the 23d century, he agrees to build a Mecha-Ghidora and send it back to the 1990s, so that together, these two giant monsters can, uh, fulfill Godzilla's destiny and destroy Japan. In a wonderful nod to those notoriously self-willed whipping heads, the girl piloting Mecha-Ghidora has trouble controlling the joystick.

This Godzilla suit design owes much to the Sumo - his thighs are flabby enough to double for Rush Limbaugh's, and his belly and chest are thick and ponderous. But there's more exploding masonry in this picture than in most of his adventures, which makes up for a lot. Also features a man with a passing resemblance to Robert Patrick playing a killer robot. Yes, in the future even the robots will have bald spots. Plus Megumi Odaka, reprising her role as Micki, the only Japanese girl ever born with ears larger than her Disney namesake and an acting style even bigger than that. It's not her fault: many Japanese directors seem to feel that a seventy-foot screen isn't quite large enough to display the emotion of a human face. I did some acting for Japanese television, and I can tell you, they push you to go for it. They apparently urge their writers in the same way. Thank God.
Don't miss this one
John Seal4 December 1999
The first of Toho's new cycle of Godzilla features is also the best. It explains a considerable amount of daikaiju mythology (the creation of Godzilla, his love/hate relationship with Japan, the creation of Ghidrah) and has an exciting story with political overtones that also explores the love/hate relationship between Japan and the United States. Top rate.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good action, big plot holes.
The_Dinosaur17 October 2008
First off, I should point out the 7/10 rating I am giving this movie is not by the same standards I would any other film. It is a 7 out of 10 for a Godzilla movie. I look at is as "what was the film maker trying to do, and did they accomplish that?", now that I have made that clear, I will get into the review.

The story of this film revolves highly around time traveling, but this is where the plot of the film has the biggest set back. The time travelers came back from the 23rd century to stop Godzilla from destroying Japan, or so they tell the people in 1992 Japan. The problem is, when they find Godzilla and remove him from history they go back to 1992, and Godzilla has never existed, yet people remember him. Not to mention it actually creates a paradox. It would take me forever to explain the flaws in this film based solely of the time travel aspect.

Once you get past that, it is a well put together movie. Higher production values then most other Godzilla films. Good characters, some funny scenes and very good action sequences. King Ghidorah looks good in both normal and mecha forms and creates a believable(for a Godzilla film) opponent.

The film has been critiqued for being anti-American and pro-Japanese, but the only person who would see it that way would be a jingoistic individual to say the least. The reason it was critiqued for being anti-American is because you see Godzilla(as a dinosaur, not yet mutated) attack American troops during WW2. Funny, because Godzilla had only been attacking Japanese troops in the past movies and in future movies. The attacking American troops is even worked into the plot, as Gdzilla later destroys a ex Japanese soldier who thought Godzilla had saved them from the US troops. The other part of the criticism of it being anti-American is that the people from the 23rd century say that Japan becomes the dominant global power of the world. Pro-Japanese, yes. Anti-American is stretching it. The reason of Japan becoming the dominant global power works in the context of the story they are telling.

As a Godzilla movie, this is one of the more memorable ones, if you can get past the time travel plot holes.
monsters and mutations
antipas20005 June 2007
I first saw Godzilla vs King Ghidorah on a "monster-movie" night on TV. I loved it, however with all Godzilla movies, it takes some time for the action to start up. There is a whole story plot about having to go back in time to save Tokyo from... (guess who) Aliens from the future. But they actually want to destroy the city and re-shape and build it how they see fit. And while in the past, they release three cuddly-looking creatures referred to as "Dorats". The Dorats are exposed to the same nuclear radiation as the Godzilla dinosaur. Enter - King Ghidorah.

King Ghidorah has always been referred to as one of the space monsters. Another example would be the creature "Gigan". But this story brings forth King Ghidorah in a new way and the aliens have full control over the creature. Of course, Godzilla arrives and there are some really good fight scenes that really credit this film to glory.

However, the real fun comes at the turning point whilst Godzilla rampages through the city, one of the aliens (not a bad one), goes to the future to the same spot in the sea where King Ghidorah fell in his battle with Godzilla, and users future technology to upgrade, power-up and revive King Ghidorah. My heart jumped when the new King Ghidorah appeared in the sky in a flash of lightening and surging power.

In the first fight with Godzilla, the centre head of King Ghidorah was literally blown off. But he comes back with a powerful metallic head that really takes your breath away. It is like a powerful Tri-headed dragon robot. The thing even has spikes added the ends of its two tails! It is brilliant and the film makers have done a remarkable job at futuristic possibilities, fantasy and imagination.

I have revealed quite a bit in this rather short comment, but I will not ruin things for you by telling you what happens and who wins in the end. Enjoy this film because as Godzilla movies go, this is probably one of the better ones. The designs of the monsters have been greatly improved and look much more real that just a person wearing a dinosaur suit.

You can really believe that these are real, even in reality and in your mind. Look closely at the details of King Ghidorah's heads. Much better than when King Ghidorah first appeared and continued to re-appear against Godzilla. He looked really old and shaggy in the original Godzilla's, but now - "it" looks much better.

I give this film a high score in its own right.
Take that, you dinosaur!
E102y11 July 2000
Time travel movies mess with my head. However, GOJIRA VS KINGUGIDORA is the only time travel movie I can follow. To a certain extent. Like, when Big G has been erased from time, why do the Japanese folks still talk about him?

Godzilla is easily at his best here, with his battles with King Ghidorah, the JSDF and their maser tanks and when he gives Sapporo and the Shinjuku distrcit a lovely pounding. Best bit: Big G torching Shindo.

King Ghidorah is good in this movie, but his fight with the jets is not very good. I think the ultimate Ghidorah would be a cross between this one and the Ghidorah from MOSURA 3.

Koichi Kawakita does a lovely job on the special effects. I always prefer Godzilla to battle at night, as that's when the opticals (eg Godzilla atomic heat beam) are at their best.

Akira Ifukube really breathes life into this movie, especially with the use of the Godzilla theme on the end credits.

Roll on GOJIRA VS MOSURA!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why can't a giant green gorilla/whale and a three headed cyborg stardragon get along?
A.Fish13 March 1999
Ghidorah just won't die. This is the fourth of fifth flick he's shown up in, and somehow the Big G never has the nerve to off the three-headed two-tailed no-armed winged space dragon. Here's the deal. People from el futuro arrive to tell us that G will destroy Japan if he isn't gotten rid of soon. You think the Japanese would be a little jaded about it at this point, but of course they get scared and help the Futurians go back in time to kill the Godzillazaurus in 1944, before the atomic bomb tests could mutate into G. Mission accomplished, but instead, when the people come back to '91, King Ghidorah's running the show due to Futurian treachery. Now Japan nukes the slumbering Godzilla (although wouldn't he be nonexistent after having been retro-murdered in '44?) Godzilla beats Ghidorah. Godzilla runs amuck. Japanese enlist Ghidorah to smash G. Ghidorah runs amuck. Now the Big G has to whomp Godzilla, I think, all these twists get me confused. Ghidorah comes back as Mecha King Ghidorah and both fall into ocean or some other convenient device. Favorite line has to be American naval officer after watching Godzillasaurus perish: "Take that, you dinosaur!"
90's style Godzilla in a vintage sci-fi story
drngor11 March 2001
After I first saw Godzilla vs. Biollante, I thought the whole series was going to head in a (pseudo-)realistic direction. However, this movie sort of proved me wrong. It's not that the story itself isn't entertaining, it's just that I'd like to something a little bit more down-to-earth. It feels like it's an old sci fi flick, complete with robots, time travel, laser fights, and teleportation.

The story involves a group of time travelers who come to Japan to seek assistance in preventing Godzilla's birth. The time travellers as well as some modern day Japanese (one of whom is cute Megumi Odaka) go to an island in the Pacific in the middle of WW2 where they witness a dinosaur fighting off American troops. Thinking that this dinosaur will become Godzilla after the H-bomb is dropped, they teleport the dinosaur away. However, the Futurians have an ulterior motive, and King Ghidorah is created. HOWEVER, due to some unfortunate incident, Godzilla TOO is created, leading to numerous city destruction scenes, monster battles, military showdowns, etc.

The special FX range from cheesy to excellent. Godzilla looks cool as does King Ghidorah. The miniatures of the cities are great as usual. The first fight between Godzilla and King Ghidorah is great. The final battle is quite realistic also, great stuff. There are some cheesy FX that deal with the humans (running in super speed, etc.), but luckily the kaiju are shown in reverence.

My main complaints with the film is that Godzilla himself doesn't appear until over an hour in the film. It seemed to take quite a while for him to get on the scene, and then there's not much time in the picture left. Also, the American soldiers are badly acted.

This movie seems to generally be seen as one of the best of the new series. It's a good movie, the plot is good (albeit a bit Terminator-esque), and the monster action is excellent.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
better drama than sci fi; but is that what we want?
winner5512 October 2006
Except for the Doctor Who TV series, I always find time-travel stories disappointing. Time-travel itself is an inherently absurd idea: it assumes that space is absolute. This means if you travel back in time from Tokyo in 2006, you should end up in Tokyo in about, say, 1906.

However, the scientific fact is that space, like time is relative to the objects moving about in it. If you could really travel back in time from Tokyo, 2006, to 1906, you would probably end up floating about in empty space, where your cells would collapse long before you suffocated from lack of oxygen. As for Tokyo, it would still be there on the planet earth, which would be somewhere else in its orbit, millions of miles - perhaps light years - away.

However, I say again that space and time are both relative, and according to Einstein's principle of matter-energy conversion (which is a necessary assumption for a relativistically structured universe, since it helps to explain how movement can occur in a differentiated space with multiple time-functions), if you could travel in any direction "through" time, you would at some point attain the speed of light; and at this point your body transmutes into quanta, and you become light - except that the "you" that you were before this would be dead. So, farewell to Tokyo.

This film is no exception. As other reviewers here have noted, one learns to tolerate fake science from Godzilla films - for instance, he's always described as a radioactively mutated dinosaur, when we all know that he's really a fire-breathing dragon. But as other reviewers have noted, the fake science here is just unacceptably annoying, because the film-makers can't come up with a narrative continuity that makes sense for it.

The film does have a dramatic integrity, concerning the relationship between the Japanese soldiers and the dinosaur/ Godzilla that saves them; and I can imagine a whole movie developing this idea narratively; unfortunately, this isn't it.

also, I have to say that, as a long-time Godzilla fan, I don't care for the effort to make Ghidorah into a good-guy saving Tokyo from Godzilla; cyborg or not, he's just not made for that role, he obviously exists for one purpose, which is to destroy things and people.

A second rate entry into the later Godzilla series.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Now that's more like it.
Handarazuur12 October 2003
Beware. Spoilers lie within.

Every so often, from the bowels of Japan's film industry comes a really really good movie. More not than often, it is a kaiju movie. For the uninitiated, Kaiju is the Japanese word for "Monster". When I saw this film, I could think only one thing. Japan's film industry had released a really really good movie.

A group of men and women from the 22nd century, in a UFO that boggles the mind. Their leader is our token Caucasian man, and his name is Wilson. Wilson and Co. explain that, in the 21st century, Godzilla causes Japan to be irradiated, because his bout with New York left him really depressed. They propose that a three man and one android team be sent back to 1944, before Godzilla became irradiated and turned into our second favourite Tokyo-smushing monster (Gamera being a personal numero uno kaiju of mine). There, they will transport him under an ice shelf, therefore making it that Godzilla never existed. These "Futurians" apparently have no concept of the Temporal Prime Directive, or, in layman's terms, Why Messing Around With The Past Will Really Mess Up The Present. Oh, well, what can you do?

They do get to 1944, and, after watching the Americans take a beating from our Godzillasaurus (this consequently led to the cheesiest line in cinema history, "Take that, you dinosaur!"), the Futurians successfully beam Godzillasaurus to the Bering Sea, the mission is over, and everyone goes home to sing karaoke and eat ramen. Ha, I had you fooled, didn't I? You see, the Futurians have a little something called an Ulterior Motive. Just before they leave for the present, the woman Futurian, Emmy (or is it Bafta?) releases into the wilderness three small genetically engineered pets, which she calls "Dorats". They return to the present only to find that Japan is now under attack from our favourite three headed monster. No, I'm not talking about Cerberus, or even Fluffy. I'm talking about King Ghidorah.

That's right, the big KG is back, and he's shooting down planes, buildings and basically whatever the heck he wants to. You see, in the 22nd Century, Japan dominates the world economy, and these Futurians are actually extremists who want to level the playing field by destroying Japan. They've permanently borrowed their time-travelling UFO, and plan to reorganise the world, therefore violating the Temporal Prime Directive and causing their cause to no longer exist, meaning that they all disappear in a quantum puff of smoke.

All right, I was fooling you again. History doesn't act properly, and King Ghidorah continues knocking over city blocks. All is not lost, however. A Russian sub hits something in the Bering Sea. Three guesses as to what it is they hit. Anyway, before anyone knows what's going on, Godzilla has mutated anyway, and is off to pay Japan a visit, if you know what I mean.

Viewers can interpret this as either a good film or a bad film, depending on what they like in a film, and depending on how picky they are. Nothing's perfect (if I ever see an android really run like that, I swear...), but it's still one of the best modern slices of Kaiju to date. I recommend it for anyone who is a big fan of Kaiju, or someone who is looking for something good for a lonely Saturday. It's also a great film to watch if you're in desperate need of a laugh.

Handarazuur gave this film five stars. Not four; five!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Terminator, Godzilla style.
Horror Fan14 February 1999
People from the distant future arrive in a time machine to warn Japan of the present that Godzilla will soon destroy Japan, and they take three people from the present, a writer, a scientist, and a psychic, to go back and time to stop Godzilla from being spawned by the H-bomb. They go back to 1944, and see the Godzillasaurus (what Godzilla was before he was mutated) killing off US troops on an island. Then they teleport the Godzillasaurus away from the island where the bomb was tested and into the Baring Sea. However, it turns be a trick and the Futarians let loose three Dorats (dragon-like things) to be mutated by the bomb. So the Dorats become the classic King Ghidorah (another one of my favorite monsters) who destroys Japan. However, a nuclear accident in the Baring Sea causes Godzilla be reborn. Then Godzilla is p****d and kills King Ghidorah by blowing off his central head and destroys the futerians spaceship. Then Godzilla attacks Japan. But a good futerain, Emi Kano has some tricks up her sleeve. And she turns King Ghidorah into Mecha King Ghidorah (picture what King Ghidorah would look like assimilated by the Borg from Star Trek) and pits it against Godzilla. Marvelous high tech special effects and a wonderful score by Ifukube who returned after an abscence of almost 20 years. A must see for any Godzilla fan.
Loved it.
Odin_Cat_of_Norway26 December 2002
This is probably my favorite Gojira movie ever made. It has double-crosses and triple-crosses (is that a word?) Let me explain: "the part where the futurians kill Gojira, and thusly create Kingugidora, so that they can destroy Japan, while saying they are helping Japan; then even after Kingugidora was killed by the newly formed in the Bering Strait from a downed nuclear-sub Gojira (wait a sec, this fits into their plan as well), who then destroys Japan, himself; only then to be destroyed (or was he...) by the super-cool Mecha-Kingugidora" bit was super awesome (note: that actually is a single sentence, but hey! you should read some of Dickens' works for even longer sentences), and also included the double (and triple) crosses said of earlier. Whew! That was a lot to say!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this