Class Action (1991) Poster

(1991)

Not really a courtroom drama...
Abedsbrother19 July 2006
As a fan of Hackman, Mastrantonio, and courtroom drama, I thought this might be another overlooked chestnut that might repay viewing. Well, I enjoyed the film thoroughly - but it was not really courtroom drama. So if that is what you're looking for, go elsewhere. People are in courtrooms, and there's some cross-examination, but that is not the core of the movie. The core is a story about a father-daughter relationship, and the ups and downs that the relationship can take. Criticized for being 'predictable' or 'smarmy', I found it to be a warm and occasionally humorous take on a plot that may have been presented before, but certainly bore presenting again, and I enjoyed the film very much.

Apted's directing is effective, though never innovative. The actors are all good - in fact, it is to their credit that they made simple lines and dialogue so effective. Hackman, of course, as always,is the professional he always is, and in Mastrantonio he has an actress who can take his words and put her own spin on them. Supporting cast is very solid, the music is early James Horner (good, but again nothing brilliant), setting and atmosphere were both average.

Overall, not a movie for a guy and his girl to watch, but a great movie for that girl and her father to watch. It would've been a great all-rounder if the drama had been in the court-room...
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Class Action in A Class By Itself ****
edwagreen1 December 2006
Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio provide a perfect chemistry as a father and daughter, both of whom being attorneys in this excellent 1991 film.

The plot is twofold. Not only are the two on opposite sides of a case involving a faulty automobile but they must cope with the death of the mother, a lovely lady who chose to remain with a wandering Hackman.

Hackman argues the case for the defense. It is horrifying that a cover-up existed because it would be cheaper to deal with the lawsuits than to make the necessary improvements.

A very engrossing film dealing with the human spirit, ethics and indifference. Highly recommended.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic
markstone0013 April 2006
As a solicitor I normally like lawyer movies, but as a new father I loved this movie.

Most lawyer movies just have hypothetical issues which just raise my interest or remind me of my past.

This one awakened my imagination to the future.

My daughter is less than 12 months old and Hackman's character hit the exact note of feeling and pleasure, I feel when holding my daughter in my arms and watching her grow.

I can say that the scene at the end moved me to tears as I think about holding my daughter in my arms.

Hackman is by far on of the greatest actors I have ever seen. The others I can say did a fantastic job as well. You hate the villains and love the heroes.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
father and daughter, both attorneys, duke it out
blanche-227 September 2007
Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastroantonio are involved in a "Class Action" in this 1991 film that also stars Laurence Fishburne, Donald Moffatt, Joanna Merlin and Fred Thompson. Hackman and MEM, father and daughter, are both attorneys. "I raised you," Jed (Hackman) yells at Maggie (MEM) during one scene. "Mom raised me," she screams back. "You had a date." Maggie's resentment over her father's infidelity erupts after the death of her mother (Merlin) in a powerful scene. Although Maggie has tried to reconcile with him, she finds there is too much in the way. Maggie is in an ethical quandary when the law firm she works for wants to suppress evidence about an automobile manufacturer's malfeasance; complicating things is that her father heads the team the other side of the case.

This is a very good movie that emotionally rings true, thanks to a good script and fine performances by Hackman and Mary Elizabeth. I had the pleasure of working with Mary Elizabeth when she was a Broadway actress - a lovely woman with a great talent, shown here to excellent advantage. Grieving for her mother and unable to accept her father's love, she is blindsided by her boyfriend/boss' ethics violation and has nowhere to turn. The viewer can really feel her pain. Hackman is wonderful as a shark attorney who loved his wife deeply but made some unfortunate choices and alienated his only child. He finds himself now vulnerable and confused; Hackman expresses these emotions beautifully. There is able support from the top-notch cast.

Compelling and at times powerful.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Drama, in and out of the courtroom! Wow.
dy15817 June 2006
I still find it kind of a coincidence that this was aired here on the cable the day before Fathers' Day here. Father Jedediah Ward (Gene Hackman) and daughter Maggie (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) are both lawyers and coincidentally, they are on the opposing ends of a major court case.

From the start, one can see that Maggie is very driven to be successful in the lawyers' circles given she told her boss she wanted to take on the case because she is very aware of the company the law firm she works for represents. And her colleagues then told her that her father is the plaintiff for the case. Now this drove the daughter to outwin her father in the courtroom even more.

All the estrangement actually went back to the time when Maggie realised her father is not faithful to her mother. So whenever they passed by each other, Maggie often never gave her father one look. After Mrs Ward's passing, father and daughter reunite each other for a while...but! The old issues all came back.

And when along the way in researching for the case, an obstacle appeared and it almost led Maggie into trouble. Jedediah thought his daughter is almost in trouble and they managed to clear out some things between each other. It even led to surprising events which happened on the day of the big court case.

For me who has always been interested how lawyers always go about their work, this is a nice introduction. Father-daughter relationship is also being explored here. That is why I said about the movie on cable the day before it's Fathers' Day today here.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Solid Film!!
AbeStreet19 May 2008
Sometimes I'm left with the impression that viewers think all films should be award winning material, as though the goal and worth of a film can be judged by the amount of award nominations it generates and brings home. I disagree, a good film should entertain, and that is what this film does very well. Nice on location sets give the film an authentic and attractive feel. The acting is top notch. The two main overlapping stories, the father & daughter relationship and the legal battle, tie in very nicely. This is a solid film that draws the viewer in and keeps his/her attention until final scene. There are many ways to waste two hours, this film is not one of them.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Compelling, Unheralded Gem
ReelCheese28 October 2007
This subdued courtroom drama starts out like an extended episode of L.A. LAW but quickly reveals itself as the unheralded gem it is. Gene Hackman is as solid as ever as a fervent lawyer battling an auto giant accused of manufacturing a faulty model. The twist is that his rival attorney just happens to be his self-reliant daughter, played by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

CLASS ACTION is not a flashy, fill-up-the-screen-every-minute kind of film. But it is a quite compelling effort. The courtroom storyline is captivating, with director Michael Apted expertly showing the case and its various twists and turns from both sides. Anyone who was glued to the set anytime L.A. LAW came on be in heaven.

Then there's the family dynamic. Hackman and Mastrantonio are convincing as the father and daughter. He seems to know everything and she wants to prove that he does not. They begin the film miles apart in their relationship and it seems a tense court case will further drive in the wedge between them. It's a plot line that works well and helps elevate the film.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Verdict is in: A fine film!
mlevans4 August 2002
Normally I am not a big fan of courtroom drama. Somehow, law & order, crime & punishment make me very uneasy. While visiting my mom, however, Class Action was coming on TV (a Fox station, so I assume it may have been uncut). Since it co-starred Gene Hackman, I decided to watch. I was well-rewarded.

Hackman is one of my favorites and never lets me down. He and co-star Mary Elizabeth Mastratonia both turn in riveting performances as a father-daughter attorneys. The film is emotionally-charged throughout, but never boils over into the sappy range. Without any spoilers, the ending is no huge surprise, but is satisfying – as is the movie as a whole.

Hackman plays Jedediah Tucker Ward, an aging lawyer who has made a national reputation as a David vs. Goliath foe of major corporations. His semi-estranged daughter, Maggie (Mastratonia) has followed his footsteps-at least into the law profession. There the similarity stops, as she is bucking for a partnership in a prestigious firm that handles some of the nation's largest corporations. Both actors turn in tremendous performances.

When the hostile father & daughter find themselves on opposite ends of a huge class action law suit over a car exploding a few years earlier, the already strained relationship is pushed to its limits. Jed's wife (Maggie's mother, of course), Estelle (Joann Merlin) tries to keep them from digging an impenetrable schism between themselves.

Some fine courtroom drama and domestic drama ensues and the winner is clearly the audience. The two leads are tremendous-even bearing some facial resemblance-and the rest of the veteran cast is very strong. I had never even heard of this film before today, but it is a definite winner.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most realistic film portrayals of corporations & their attorneys...
filmaven-212 March 2015
You won't see a better film depiction of greedy corporations that value profits more than people. It is also an honest representation of soulless corporate defense attorneys who prostitute themselves for their corporate client. They will do anything it takes, legal or illegal, in order to win the case and keep their client happy as well as keep their millions in yearly legal fees rolling in.

Of course, it is a dramatic movie, not a documentary, and not everything is realistic. It is difficult to believe that a small boutique law firm such as Gene Hackman's has the resources to quixotically battle the defense firm representing the defendant auto manufacturer. Also, Hackman being opposed by his daughter strains credulity. It may have worked in a comedy when Tracy & Hepburn were husband and wife on opposing sides (Adam's Rib) but here it is a bit of a distraction. But it may have been necessary to humanize the film rather than only focus on the banality of evil of large corporations.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Insightful
perjensen-226 December 2012
Thanks to the recent legal decision against Toyota and memories of the ill-fated Ford Pinto, it's difficult not to think of "Class Action". Many reviewers like to think that court room dramas can always be better, but if you've ever witnessed real court proceedings then you'll discover they can be immensely boring and why film makers avoid it. What makes "Class Action" so refreshing is the context of the case, which is a bona fide problem considering numerous cars with dangerous design problems, the devious corporate view of profit over loss (including life), which gives the film an underplay of David vs. Goliath, the spicy exchanges in court, the conflict between father and daughter, which is essentially a clash of Right vs. Wrong, and of course first rate performances by the actors. There are a few predictable story lines, but that's to be expected. "Class Action" is altogether a very entertaining and insightful film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth a watch, but too slow
stuprince12 May 2003
The idea, great. the actors, terrific. The plot, solid. the outcome, OK at best. Class Action has its moments, but spends way too much time developing the father-daughter relationship. Just as you get into the dirty dealings of the law firm, the director and editors give us more forced relationship. This is worth a look, but only if on TV.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Estranged father and daughter try and repair their relationship
Maddyclassicfilms27 July 2015
Class Action is directed by Michael Apted, is written by Carolyn Shelby, Christopher Ames and Samantha Shad, has music by James Horner and stars Gene Hackman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Laurence Fishburne and Donald Moffatt.

Jebediah Tucker Ward(Gene Hackman)is a brilliant lawyer who takes on a client who is suing the makers of his car due to major faults in the vehicle which it's believed led to an accident. Ward must deal with the fact that the defence lawyer for the automobile company is his estranged daughter Maggie Ward(Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio).

Ward and Maggie have had a difficult relationship since Maggie discovered he was cheating on her mum. When her mum dies Maggie and Ward spend some time together after her funeral and tentatively try and reconnect. They find there's still too much bad feeling between them though and after a bitter argument don't speak. They find themselves thrown back together again when the case goes to court and they discover they will be facing each other in the courtroom.

Although the film is classed as a courtroom drama there's more focus on the relationship between Ward and Maggie. The film works better as a story about an estranged father and daughter and Hackman and Mastrantonio have amazing chemistry.

Anyone who has a less than perfect relationship with a parent will be able to relate to this film and to the awkwardness both Ward and Maggie feel when they are with each other. Hackman in particular is excellent in scenes where Ward is with his daughter and he doesn't know how to act around her,you can see that he wants to reach out to her but doesn't know how to and is perhaps too stubborn to even try.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who the hell is Anthony Patricola!
kapelusznik1825 November 2013
***SPOILERS*** The film "Class Action" pits San Francisco activist lawyer for the down trodden and helpless Jed Tucker Ward, Gene Hackman, against his no nonsense and bull headed daughter Maggie, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonoi, in a winner take all civil case against a giant car manufacture Argon Motors. It's Argon Motors who's 1985 model station wagons are the cause of some 130 accident one, the one which Jed takes up, had two persons killed and the driver left crippled. This father and daughter conflict in the courtroom results in Jed's wife Estella, Joanna Marlin, collapsing in the courthouse from a fatal heart attack from the stress that it caused her. Estella begged Maggie not to take the case for the car manufacture against her father. It was by Maggie taking it up that caused her mom's weak heart to stop beating.

In the courtroom sparks flew with Maggie and her defense team using every dirty and underhanded tactic to win that case. Even going so far as to to humiliate the victim of the crash, who lost his both wife and infant daughter as well as legs, as well as the engineer of the "death" station wagon the retired from the business but now running a bunny farm Mr. Pavel, Jan Rubes. Parvel who's memory, in not being able to remember his telephone number or birth date,was put in question who felt the station wagon was a death trap. It was Pavel who wrote in his notes that the car was a deathtrap to anyone driving it but as the defense, by destroying them, showed the notes he wrote about it had mysteriously ended up either missing or misplaced!

Just as it looked like curtains for Jed Ward's case an important witness was brought in a professional bean counter Mr. Patricola, Ken Grantham, who broke the case wide open in Jed Ward's favor.The mysterious Mr. Patricola proved what Jed Ward wasn't able to do in showing that the car was too dangerous to be driven. That as well as the reason for the destruction of Mr. Pavel's notes which brought the roof down on Argon Motors! And it was non other Maggie Ward who at first did everything to prevent her father Jed from winning the case that made that all possible! The film was obviously based on the landmark Ralph Nader book "Unsafe at any Speed" published in 1966 about the lack of car safety in the automobile industry and how it resulted in the thousands of deaths and injuries that could have so easily been avoided. In the movie like in real life it was a minor fault in the car that would have caused a few hundred dollars to correct that was not addressed that caused the car company in question, Argon Moters, to almost go bankrupt in the 100 million damage suit that was ruled, by a jury, against it!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great legal drama
preppy-326 February 2011
Jed Ward (Gene Hackman) is a lawyer who fights to protect people against corporations. His daughter Maggie (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) works for a big legal firm. A case comes up which pitches them against each other. To make matters worse she resents her father for cheating on his wife (her mother) in the past. When they start butting heads over the case all hell breaks loose.

Great legal drama with Hackman and Mastrantonio giving incredible performances in the leads. Either being politely legal to each other in the courtroom or tearing into each other in private they're great. I'm no lawyer but the film seems to follow legal procedures and rules pretty accurately (unlike some legal dramas that completely ignore most of the them). Even better it doesn't dumb down the dialogue and treat the audience like a bunch of idiots. It's well-written, thought-provoking and brings up some very good legal and ethical questions. Sometimes it's a little too slow and occasionally people seem to be giving speeches rather than talking but it still works all around. Also Colin Friels, Larry (Laurence) Fishburne, Donald Moffat and Jan Rubes give strong performances in supporting roles. This came and went pretty quickly in 1991 (probably because it had the most boring posters I've ever seen advertising it) but it's a good legal thriller that's worth catching. I give it an 8.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gene Hackman's brilliant performance
Petri Pelkonen15 November 2007
Gene Hackman is Jedediah Tucker Ward.Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is his daughter Maggie Ward.They're both lawyers.His client is suing an auto company that risked his life.Maggie defends the auto company.Maggie and her father already fight against each other in real life.Now they fight in a courtroom.Class Action (1991) by Michael Apted is as much a courtroom drama as it is a movie about father daughter relationship.Gene Hackman is really great in the lead.This is a good movie but it's Hackman who makes it better.The man hasn't done any movies since Welcome to Mooseport (2004) and he did say to Larry King that his movie career may be over.I really hope that's not the case.Besides Hackman there are many other great talents.Mastrantonio as the daughter is very good.And so is Joanna Merlin as the mother Estelle.Laurence Fishburne is great as Nick Holbrook.Donald Moffat is Fred Quinn and he's terrific.Jan Rubes is fantastic as Alexander Pavel.Matt Clark is the Judge R. Symes and he's great as always.Jonathan Silverman does the role of Brian and he handles it very well.Fred Dalton Thompson is in the role of the immoral Dr. George Getchell.As we all know he's running now for the next President of United States as a republican candidate.Well he can act which is a quality very much needed when you're the head of state.Even though the plot may not be all that original it doesn't matter.The actors with Hackman in the lead make it worth watching at least once.A good court room drama in movies or on TV can be really intrigueing when done right.We've seen a good lawyer in Matlock, played by Andy Griffith and many others after that.The drama of Class Action really works.In and out of the courtroom.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Go to your corner and come out fighting.
Michael O'Keefe13 June 2002
Some deep soul searching will aid in facing your personal demons. But you still have a job to do. This movie is entertaining, but predictable. The excellent acting redeems the whole thing. Father(Gene Hackman) and daughter(Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) lawyers become adversaries in a lawsuit against an auto manufacturer that has knowingly produced cars that explode when rammed from behind. Both stars exhibit their skills to the hilt. Laurence Fishburne and Joanna Merlin provide notable support. This father and daughter relationship provides some heated moments and animated reactions. Their banter gets a little tiresome, but it is needed to make the movie work. You be the judge and jury.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Courtroom Drama
gcd7015 May 2007
Another court room drama - well, in a manner of speaking yes. "Class Action" is more of a family drama that makes use of the court room as an arena where attorney Jedediah Tucker Ward and his daughter Maggie Ward clash.

The movie shows flashes of riveting brilliance, but it is mostly inconsistent and ultimately the story is predictable. Direction from veteran Michael Apted is pedestrian, Colin Friels in a supporting role is uninspired and Gene Hackman is well below par. The rest of the cast, which included Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Laurence Fishburne, are there for the ride.

Friday, April 26, 1991 - Hoyts Midcity Melbourne
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Much Action
Marcos Devilboy15 November 2000
There are three great actors in this film, Hackman, Mastrantonio and Laurence Fishburne, and they alone make it worth watching. There just isn't enough excitement in the plot, about a father and daughter squaring of as lawyers on opposing sides of a class action lawsuit, and its as if the writer mailed in his contribution along with Michael Apted, the director. Neither of them seemed to be excited to do the work and consequently it's hard to get very excited viewing it. I wouldn't recommend it because there is so much else out there that has more to offer in the way of stakes and excitement. The truth is I can hardly find the motivation to write about it. Not even a rental.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The cast makes it
BobboFairbro015017 February 2000
This formulaic court-room drama is saved by stand-out performances by Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio... and others including Laurence Fishburne.

The relationship, reaction and interaction between the two leads is believeable and not over-done.

Definitely worth a rent...
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice little courtroom drama....
Tim Kidner23 March 2012
Though I shan't name specifics, back in the '90s, when Class Action was made, vehicle component malfunction affected and scared more everyday folk than the usual cases for U.S Courtroom dramas i.e Medical and Corporate cases.

So, when a lighting circuit component fails in a popular car model and causes vehicle fires, naturally a case is lodged against the manufacturers. Taking the case is a crusty, liberal lawyer, Jed, (Gene Hackman). But, to his shock and fortunately for us, in defence is Jed's estranged daughter Maggie (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio), who's ambitious and ruthless. This creates a tension, in the courtroom and privately as reasons and causes for their differences are aired.

Unlike some more well known courtroom dramas, there's little shouting or violence. No one gets murdered. The case is reasonably involving and both leads are good. The outcome wasn't as full-blooded as I'd have liked and so I give six and bit stars. Quietly recommended, though, especially for lovers of the genre.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Off on a Tangent
Rick Blaine16 September 2006
Everything starts nice: the subtleties of the story line are introduced in an admirable low key fashion. And the 'expert' critics say this is a great new twist on a worn out theme, and maybe at the time this movie was released it was - but that was then and this is now and frankly the idea wears thin. There seem to be three writers attached to this project and one will of course conjecture what they were up to, for sections of this loose tale seem rather poorly written - and even poorly directed, and the director Michael Apted, who three years earlier made the excellent Gorillas in the Mist, will have to forgive.

The flaw seems to be thinking that the marriage of these two 'sub-plots' can work. And for a courtroom drama there is precious little courtroom time, and what is there jumps about a bit too much.

The cast are great; the acting is generally top drawer - except for a mother daughter scene near the beginning which simply unequivocally does not work and undermines the viewer's confidence in the movie - and I never before realised how beautiful MEM could be - but maybe anyone dressed in threads like that would look as good.

You'll enjoy it, you'll regard it as adequate entertainment, but if you're looking for excitement or a better overall premise, you'll be disappointed.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Class dismissed
Robert J. Maxwell12 June 2002
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is a striking beauty, high cheekboned, wide mouthed, and with eyes so far apart that if they were any farther apart she'd lose binocular vision. Her features are so chiseled and her performance here so inanimate that with little trouble a ribbon could be draped across her frame and "Buonarroti" carved into it. Gene Hackman turns in his usual sturdy performance. Colin Friels as Mastrantonio's boss projects a certain oiliness and gives the impression that he's giving it everything he's got.

There is a long-standing conflict between ex-radical Hackman and his 1980s materialistic yuppie daughter. He represents a number of people injured or killed in collisions involving a defective car. She represents the auto makers. One side is humanistic and aggrieved. The other side is evil, underhanded, unethical, mean, exploitative, and generally smarmy. I leave you to guess which side is represented by Hackman and which by the auto industry in this courtroom flick.

Two questions. First, if you're an attorney, right, and your client gives you some damaging information and you squeal on your client and tell the other side, isn't that illegal? I understand that in some states the prosecution must disclose its evidence and witness list, but is it the case the other way around? Is it ethical for the plaintiff to secretly transmit information to the defendant? Question one and a half: Do I have those terms right?

Second question, when did "versus" become abbreviated as simply "v" instead of "vs"? Is this a conspiracy designed to make me feel out of date and foolish? (I'm going to call my lawyer; they've been doing this to me all my life. I hardly had time to get used to "estate tax" and now they're trying to change it to "death tax.")

There's an interesting trick pulled on the defense at the end of this trial, but man the film takes a long time getting there. I'd like to recommend this film if only because of Hackman's presence in it, but I really can't. That would surely be perjury or misfeasance or first-degree mopery or something. Want to see a good flick about a similar subject? It's inaccurate, so everyone says, but "The Verdict" is as good as they come.

The first half of "Class Action" is chiefly concerned with family dynamics -- the conflict between the ambitious corporate daughter and the ex-radical idealist father, with the sensible and loving mother acting as mediator. It's really manipulative.

The second half actually deals with the class action suit against the auto makers who produced something like the Ford Pinto that blows up if you look at it cross-eyed. It's informative. The bean counters at the corporation figure it's cheaper to pay off some chump money to complainants than it is to retool the production line and fix the problem. So there are a couple of hundred deaths? What can you say -- it's a human tragedy. But, wow, is it preachy. And the sermons come in rechauffe homilies -- "How much does a man's dignity cost? You take away his wife, his children, his body. I guess a few dollars more for a couple of eight by ten glossies doesn't cost much." The lines could have been written by a Magic 8 Ball.

Well, any viewer not given to intense introspection or careful attention to manipulativeness will finish the movie feeling mighty good about himself or herself for having been on the side of the angels all along. If that's the kind of mellow glow you're looking for, you'll find it here. Perversely, sometimes that's EXACTLY what I need, so I enjoy watching it once in a while.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Intelligent and empathetic courtroom drama
shakercoola3 June 2018
Two attorneys are representing different sides of a settlement case running into millions of dollars, potentially tens of millions. One would represent a group of car owners, the other an automobile manufacturer. The plaintiffs' cars exploded due to a bad component and this has caused injuries and fatalities. Maverick radical lawyer and ambitious big firm shark lawyer are also father and daughter respectively, and they don't get on. But this isn't just a battle of wits. Young vs Old. Although the screenplay is quite dense in law lingo, it feels authentic, and it involves a lawsuit with a powerful ethical slant. The subtext is about forgiveness and change, and the rule of law that must win the day. It's not a nail-biter but it is surprisingly effective, with two great actors giving good performances.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrific movie acted by phenomenal actors. Yet, what I find MOST relevant & the true point of this movie are how many lawyers have no moral compass or conscious!!
nealvan55726 May 2018
I've been a victim of medical malpractice THREE TIMES beginning 1991 then 2004, and finally TWICE in 2016. Other than the firs doctor who was completely uncaring about my side effect complaints for nearly nine months. The others simply made mistakes as we are all human and as such are fallible. HOWEVER...accidents causing harm and injury whether temporary or permanent ARE supposed to permit the injured party to be compensated based on the degree and severity of the harm done. However, not ONCE did a single lawyer believe me. None accepted ANY of my malpractice cases even though I could have easily PROVED each and every one of those doctors who got away at harming me!!

If only a lawyer like the one portrayed by Hackman existed in real life, or at least in mine.

Think about this readers.... How much money would all aspects of the medical, auto, legal, government, and insurance multi billion dollar industries LOSE if doctors did their jobs better instead of hiding behind the law when they harm their patients which is a violation of their Hypocratic Oath. Bottom line...THERE IS NO PROFIT IN A WORLD FILLED WITH HEALTHY PEOPLE, BUT THERE AR TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS MADE BY KEEPING SICK PEOPLE ALIVE BUT WITHIUT THE ABILITY TO ACTUALLY LIVE!! Here's one more...of someone came up with the cure for Cancer or even the common cold. Do you think anything like that would EVER make it to the people in the real world? Compare the price of a cure, against the prices to keep treating and treating just ONE person for as many years as those medical people can keep that person alive while they MUST spend more and more money every day only to suffer longer until they finally die. Then the morticians get their chance to make several thousands of dollars to finish off what's left. Did you know it's ILLEGAL to spread cremated ashes on a grave plot already paid for because the cemetery is bound by LAW that they must dig a full size hole, line the whole with concrete, then after you bought the urn, put that urn into the concrete hole, cover it up, the you have to pay per letter for engraving just the name onto the headstone. Why? If people are just a pound or so of ashes, why in hell cant a family member dig their own hole, and stick the urn or just the ashes into that hole at the plot already paid for, cover it up, then pay for just the engraving? Answer....because there's NO BIG MONEY TO BE MADE BY DOING SUCH A SIMPLE THING. Not even allowe to dump the ashes at sea. And all people are allowed to think about is how Disney animations from the 1930-1960s ma have been racist. As Hackman says in the beginning of the movie...WELCOME TO THE MAD HATTERS TEA PARTY!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this