Alligator II: The Mutation (1991) Poster

Mighty Morphin Gator Ranger
Dr. Gore29 June 2003
*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

This gator is a mutating monster. Every scene would have him morph into another size. In some scenes, he was a normal sized gator. Other scenes just showed his head which had inflated into three times its size from the previous scene. His tail went into morphing overload as well as it grew into a gigantic tree branch whenever a human needed to be fly-swatted.

So a mighty morphing gator is loose in the sewer. It may mess up some greedy guy's carnival plot to buy land. The cops and gator hunters head into the sewer to do battle against super gator. The greedy guy insists on his carnival continuing no matter what kind of gator trouble is down there. So gator bait shows up to sell their land and the monster wants to crash the party.

This was a campy, decent B-movie. When Richard Lynch shows up as the Cajun hunter, the movie comes to life. It had a great ending too. If you can't defeat a gator using wimpy science, there's always the army surplus store.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alligator II The Mutation: 11 years to make a sequel and this is what they came up with?
Platypuschow6 September 2017
At the end of Alligator (1980) we see another gator flushed down the toilet and therefore a sequel is teased. 11yrs later the world got one and it's a bit of a mess.

Essentially the same movie, just with a weaker cast and somehow someway worse creature effects! Another oversized gator appears to lay waste to the city and it takes one renegade maverick cop to take it on.

This time it's been enhanced by chemical waste dumped into the sewers yet this doesn't seem to have changed the gator at all. If that is the excuse as to why it's so big then why does it appear smaller than the one in the first movie?

Poor creature feature and a miserable excuse for a sequel.

The Good:

Not so much

The Bad:

Creature effects, how 11yrs later can they be worse?

No consistency in gator size again

Terrible ending
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well cast, surprisingly enjoyable sequel with rubbish effects
Leofwine_draca17 March 2015
This serviceable follow-up to the original ALLIGATOR has absolutely nothing to do with that movie – other than featuring an alligator living in the sewers of a US city. I actually found this a fun, tongue-in-cheek little monster movie that works around the low budget to deliver a pacy, entertaining film with a strong script to recommend it. It's closer to PIRANHA than JAWS in tone, with the usual stock characters showing up: the rookie cop, the greedy property developer, the ignorant mayor and the dedicated law enforcer on the tail of the beast (literally in this case).

The worst thing about the film is the alligator itself. It's a combination of stock footage from the original film and an absolutely rubbishy pair of rubber jaws pushed at the intended victims. The poor FX and distant lack of bloodshed make the various attack sequences a real let-down, but that's okay because what happens when the alligator isn't on-screen is more interesting than it is.

The clichéd characters are brought to life by a wonderful ensemble cast of familiar faces. Joseph Bologna is well cast as the likable cop doing his best to catch the best; I also liked Woody Brown as the young, inexperienced, square-jawed hero. Dee Wallace Stone (THE HOWLING) finds herself wasted as the cop's wife with nothing to do, but the stunning Holly Gagnier has more fun playing the mayor's daughter. The scene chewing is left to a pair of dedicated B-movie veterans.

First up is Steve Railsback (TURKEY SHOOT), excellent as the utterly repulsive villain of the piece; second we have Richard Lynch playing one of those half-crazed redneck hunter types. Other familiar faces include Brock Peters as the black chief of police, Jason Voorhees himself, Kane Hodder, as an alligator hunter and Voyo Goric (a Russian villain in RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART 2) as a henchman. This isn't a great film by any means, but I found it a more than entertaining effort considering the budget.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow... what an awful film
tom_koopa16 June 2009
This is not a sequel to the first movie. Well, only in name; but it has no character or storyline connections what so ever.

An alligator is killing people and animals in a sewer and surrounding area. Up to the local police force to take him out. Sounds familiar? The story has a slightly more complicated touch this time. Some guy wants to open a theme park near the lake where the alligator was spotted. This means trouble. We soon find out that the guy isn't exactly playing his game by the book...

Let's move to the alligator. It looks fake. I haven't seen that many crocodile (or in this case alligator) attack movies, but even I could see that it wasn't a real gator. No CGI either. In the first movie, it was somewhat menacing and threatening, but in this sequel it just doesn't scare enough.

The attack scenes are still predictable. They removed the jaws-like tune from the prequel, making it even more dull.

The acting is not bad nor good. It works for this type of film.

What I don't understand is how the sewers sometimes look like a swamp. Lots of reed and stuff. It's confusing to say the least.

Watch this only if you have got nothing better to do. And there is a LOT of stuff that's better then watching this piece of trash.

You'd be better of watching the first Alligator again.

In conclusion, I give this movie 4 out of 10 stars, and that's probably too nice of me.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining sequel, nothing more
slayrrr66618 December 2004
"Alligator II: The Mutation" is a more than capable sequel to the first classic.

**SPOILERS**

A rash of deaths in the Chicago swamps has left the local police baffled. Detective David Hodges (Joseph Bologna) is brought in to lead the investigation, which takes place near broker Vincent Brown's (Steve Railsback) new real estate expansion. One real sentimental case gets him more motivated than ever to solve it. His wife, Christine (Dee-Wallace Stone) a chemist, tells him that one of the most recent clues to the case is involved with an animal of some sort, but she can't solve it herself. More investigated finds that Brown is trying to scare away the residents for the real estate he is building, and he formulates a theory that a crocodile or alligator is behind the attacks. No one believes him, and the mayor (Bill Daily) places him under house arrest. After escaping, he seeks out the residents around the lake, who are concerned that Vincent Brown is a cancer on the area. Another attack brings Hodges after it more determined than before, especially since Brown brought in a special team led by Hawk Hawkins (Richard Lynch) and his partners Billy Boy (Kane Hodder) and Paul (Jon Paul Jones) to catch the alligator and have failed. Finally teaming up together, everyone works to get the alligator out of the sewers and are able to kill it.

The Good News: What can I say, I really like this movie. There were several things that I liked about it. First of all, the action in the film is actually exciting. The first confrontation with the gator in the swamps is a great scene that I love to watch over and over again. The fake gator may have killed it a bit, but it is still a very enjoyable scene. What helps is that the film plays with the fact that it is a campy movie and never tries to overplay that. What really helps the film is that the campiness plays into scenes that it allows the action to be over-the-top. With all the scenes that feature the alligator, we do get to see a few great scenes. Every single scene in the sewer chasing the gator is a pretty cool scene. The gator's assault at the end of the film is pretty cool to watch as well. It does have a lot of vicious looking attacks as well. The first time we see the gator swimming in the lake and it's landing on the beach are all pretty chilling. The film even has some good suspense scenes written in as well. When the gator first appears in the sewers stalking the two cops, it is a pretty chilling moment. The attack on the winos in the middle of a darkened alley lit only by torch-light is the film's most chilling moment and is definitely it's high point. The final scene in the lake is also pretty terrifying, but it could've been handled a lot differently than it was.

The Bad News: The many scenes set in the nightclub with the wrestlers were a total waste of time. It did nothing to the plot of the film and the moves were so relatively standard that it didn't impress me that much. The only thing it did was provide the film with some much needed length and even still, it doesn't stretch the film that much. What really hurt this film the most is that the alligator itself isn't very menacing. The change between the real one and the fake one is so obvious that only a real unintelligent person would recognize it as a real monster. The change between them is so great that not being able to tell them apart is unfathomable. The real one is, naturally, a real one, but the fake one doesn't even move a single iota. The tail doesn't even move when it swims in the lake at the end, a real letdown considering how other films have gone to such great lengths to correct that small flaw. The film would also be a lot better without the really tacked on ending. The real ending isn't really all that spectacular, and it left completely dissatisfied.

The Final Verdict: Ignoring the fact that the killer monster, who does have a lot of screen time, is very fake and a rushed ending that never really matches what the rest of film sets up, this is a pretty good film, considering the first one is a bona fide classic. Good for chasing away rainy days with your drunken buddies or for those like to watch a movie and ridicule it at the same time.

Rating PG-13: Graphic Violence, Adult Language, and children and animals in jeopardy of the alligator
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The alligator doesn't scare us and the story is too typical
dwpollar25 March 2001
1st watched 10/27/2000 - 4 out of 10 (Dir-Jon Hess): Rehash of 'Jaws' story not done near as well with of course an alligator instead of a shark. The performers try to keep it credible but it doesn't work. The alligator doesn't scare us and the story is too typical of this genre.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mutated Muddle
Chase_Witherspoon11 August 2006
Another chemically enhanced alligator grows to epic proportions, leading to a series of fatalities that threatens a lakeside development project. The obligatory doubt and denial lead rogue cop Bologna and rookie Brown to first convince the hierarchy that the title beast exists, and then embark on a search and destroy mission to end the mutated monster's path of destruction. Greedy developer Railsback employs his own means, contracting big game hunter Lynch to hunt down the predator, in a bid to secure his financial interests.

Sequels are notorious for being inferior imitations of the original ("Godfather Part II being, arguably, the exception), and this follow-up is a perfect example of why such notoriety exists.

Avoiding the comparisons with the original, this entry suffers from a try-hard script that fails to amuse despite its constant attempts at humour, poorly staged attack scenes, and more fundamentally, absence of a cohesive story, lacking any modicum of momentum or effective continuity. Even the "mean streets" sub theme introduced part way through the picture is poorly conceived and badly handled, only contributing to the malaise.

It's a pity that such a talented cast can't redeem any qualities in this film, because the audience might have expected better, considering the solid cast (Bologna, Wallace-Stone, Lynch, Railsback & Peters). Alas, they make no impression other than to be bystanders to an embarrassing debacle.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rather small for a giant alligator.
Aaron137517 February 2004
I enjoyed the first "Alligator", but this one just does not live up to that one. Not that the first one is a superb movie, but it was a lot of fun. This one just is not good at all. The main problem for me was that the alligator was not all that impressive quite frankly. I have seen alligators this size before. The only thing different about it, is the fact it is tougher to kill. The story here isn't good either and neither is the action. They go into the sewers to hunt it then it attacks some festival and then they figure away to kill it. This movie is not going to knock your socks off with buckets of gore and it isn't very interesting either, best just to skip it. It just does not measure up to the first one.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A completely Unnecessary and pretty boring sequel. Warning: Spoilers
This movie is pretty bad. It actually kinda weird. The original "Aligator" isn't even that popular of a movie. So who was it that came about and said, "He lets do a sequel". There isn't even any reference (That I heard anyways.) to the original. So couldn't they just call it something different? The plot to this movie is cliché. A monster comes, only one guy knows about it, he tries to tell the other people, but they don't believe him. Then the monster appears and runs amok. Same old, same old.

The acting to this movie is BLAND. I mean at least in the first "Alligator" movie the actors were enjoyably corny, but here they are just so boring.

The Special effects are horrible. The first Alligator had some pretty good puppets. They weren't great, but they were still alright. Here, most of the scenes with the alligator are just recycled footage form the first movie. Not to mention the fact that the actual size of the alligator radically changes. For most of the movie it's really big, but then in other scenes it's the size of a regular alligator.

In the end this movie is worth skipping. I say check out the first alligator and let this movie disappear into obscurity.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gray and dull.
Chromium_528 September 2004
Ah, yet another bad movie I caught on the Sci-Fi channel. I have developed a very unhealthy addiction to B-movies lately. I bet every time I watch one of these, it shaves a year off my lifespan.

There's nothing of real interest in this one, but after watching it, I started wondering: how come carnivals are always so incredibly evil in movies? Every movie carnival I've ever seen has a spooky Gothic atmosphere, the only ride is a ferris wheel, and all the carnies look and act like Satan's minions. I remember carnivals being FUN when I was a kid, but filmmakers seem to hate them. I'm not sure who or what started this, but I suspect Ray Bradbury has something to do with it.

As far as the alligator goes, it is not very scary. The ending sequence, with the heroes trapped in the water with the gator, is rather exciting, but there is not much else. This is obviously a Jaws rip-off, but the truth is, sharks are scarier to watch than alligators and that's all there is to it.

2/10 stars.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are reasons enough to see this...
Vomitron_G23 August 2009
...but I'm not saying they'll be worth it.

I had been on the lookout for ALLIGATOR II for some years now. I just had to see it. I mean, the first one is just so much fun - and really one of the few older killer-croc type of films done right - and this sequel carrying the MUTATION subtitle, plus starring both Steve Railsback and Richard Lynch, I mean... Can it honestly be that bad?

Straight up, I can't really call it a bad movie. It's not badly put together, and further more, it has all the necessary elements to even make it a B-movie "in the tradition of JAWS" type of flick. We got a killer alligator loose in some city pond, eating people left and right who are unknowingly invading its territory (which extends to the sewers again). There's the protagonist detective (Joseph Bologna, a rather forgettable actor) running around, aware of the problem but believed by no-one. Dee Wallace (yipii!) plays his wife, and even with her supporting role she proves again that she's the best actress in the whole film. We have Railsback playing a greedy, corrupt man with power who plans a carnival near the pond which he refuses to cancel. And when he's informed of the alligator problem, he tries to deal with it in a hush-hush way, calling in Richard Lynch as a bounty hunter, together with Kane Hodder as his brother, no less. And finally, our killer alligator, who sadly enough doesn't look "mutated" at all, but at least it kind of looks the same as the one in the first film.

So what went wrong with this film? All the ingredients really are present. The script even tries to inject some of the same type of black humor the first one had, so at least the filmmakers tried to make a sequel in the same spirit. It even has something that looks like a decent climax (involving the pond and a helicopter and all). But the problem is: None of it works. This film supposedly has everything, and even tries pretty hard, but it all just doesn't feel right. It just doesn't come together and click like the first film did. Hard to explain it, really. Plus, the alligator gets a fair amount of screen time, but it never does anything you want to see it do. People should be getting munched or at least ripped to shreds, but I can't recall any memorable death scenes. I remember Kane Hodder getting stuck in its mouth, but that's about it.

When compared to the first ALLIGATOR from 1980, this sequel really is "subpar", for reasons I can't even pinpoint exactly. But as a stand-alone (as it has little ties with the first one, aside some minor bits of alligator footage being re-used) killer-alligator flick (from the 90's - and we all know what that means), it's just about moderately entertaining. Watch it if you can't resist it, just like I did. Otherwise, skip it and save yourself the inevitable disappointment.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alligator II: The Mutation
HorrorFan198420 April 2020
An alligator threatens the plans of a slimy condo developer in Alligator II: The Mutation.

The film begins with a murder via alligator before we are introduced to our main character David and his family. When he gets to the police station, he sees a report that two men didn't come home the night before and that a severed leg showed up on shore. When he brings it to the police chief and the mayors attention, they try to dismiss the claims of a potential alligator because of a new land development event happening in the area.

This event will apparently bring lots of money to the town. We meet the slimy condo developer Vincent Brown who is bringing a lot of money into the city and the area called Regent Park - right where the alligator has been attacking people. It will be up to David and an alligator hunter to stop the mutated beast from attacking the crowd at the development event in Regent Park.

I'm not sure why this sequel was made to be honest. Alligator II isn't a terrible film, but it's not needed after we saw it all before in the first film. This one suffers from an identity crisis as well. It's a killer alligator movie but also tries to be a comedy at times. Plus we get the side storyline of the building development scheme and how they are in control of the mayor and the police chief. We get less alligator and more of that plot for the most part. And the times we do see the beast, it's stock footage from the 1980 film. Pretty disappointing.

Joseph Bologna isn't the first person I'd choose to lead in a movie like this, but he does a fine job. It's always good to see Dee Wallace who plays David's wife. Legendary Brock Peters was fun to watch as Chief Speed. Woody Brown and Holly Gagnier are cute as the young couple who are finding love during this mayhem. The positives of Alligator II are the actors and the characters

Overall, Alligator II is an unnecessary sequel to a pretty good film from 1980. It has some fun moments, good performances by the actors, and a good finale, but finishes as a below average horror film.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Must be a rare person that kinda liked this movie.
mr_waterfall27 November 2017
While others downgrade this movie, as other movies i would agree to, depending on movie. I don't see why this movie is rated so low, when there is real stupid movies out there that really is bad, even through people don't accept their bad. Or one sided.

I do admit they need to kill more people in this movie, which the alligator didn't really kill many. I like Hodges, and his rookie. I even liked the blonde hair guy in it. To me compared to real stupid, movies many int he very old days, but did manage to build on the horror to make it grow into a big success than not being around at all, the real stupid movies of TROLL 2, RESIDENT EVIL extinction, which to me is a big abomination, THE BOY, WITCH <--- ANother what is this movie doing in it? i mean really! Those movies are terrible but people somehow looooove them ... i don't get them and id explain why to each if have to.

But was off subject. Here we got ALLIGATOR 2, not cheap this or cheap that and no dumb CGI how it is nowadays or the animated CGI bubbly garbage. Got a guy that kicks butt, a rookie that shows hes cool though he was anyhow. The MAyor which plays on Alf as the Psychiotrist or so spelled.The alligator to me was realistic cheap deaths somewhat but really fun and the characters to me was really into them. Those movies i mentioned are bad this isn't bad at all. Not great but not bad. The bad guy deserved to die, after killing Mayor and the high chief and he would be looked at anyhow if he didn't die.

And Hodges wife from the best Howling Movie the 1st one. The old guy lived which was a plus made many appearances or brief in Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince, all i know is the two guys i wanted to live lived, and well one died, but all in all solid good movie, if people want bad id eventually get more that are just plain ... Bbbbbad. THis at least had a alligator it tried to kill a lot, not cheap or dumb looking the cast was watchable and good. Not see why that poor of a rating when real terrible ones like mentioned deserve a 0.
Nice Try But I Like Alligator better
bilikepopcorn5 June 2002
I had heard several stories that there was another Alligator to the first Alligator and at first I thought it was a sequel to the first. Boy was I so very wrong. I will admit the first one scared me to death but the second one I was laughing in the floor. At times you could see right through the model that it wasnt real. The one scene that gave it away was the scene where the Alligator went to the carnival and turned it out. While he was busy chomping away you know in Alligator Ramone got just plain down and dirty with his victims, with this Alligator you could just hear the noises that was not even corresponding in sequence with the chomping noises that was supposedly coming from this gator. As for the cajun hunter well he almost stole the show especially when the evil villian got eaten by the big bad gator he made a reference like, Damn I didnt even get my money I thought I was going to come to tears laughing at all the drama from this sequence of the first one. And to think its rumored that this goes all the way to Alligator 9-oh boy this just puts the first to shame.-Well anyway nice try but I will stick to Alligator thank you. Long live Sayle.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sequel to the original Alligator is actually not as bad I thought it was going to be.....IT'S MUCH WORSE!!!
poolandrews4 January 2005
The film begins with the local villain Vincent 'Vinnie' Brown (Steve Railsback) personally overseeing the illegal dumping of toxic waste into the city sewers that is produced by his company 'Future Chemicals'. The same night two men named Pedro (Ramon Estevez) and Victor (Thomas Rosales Jr.) are fishing in a river, next to a sewer outlet. Something watches them from afar, hidden among the reeds. They are attacked and pulled underwater, a severed leg slowly sinks to the bottom. The next morning the two men are reported missing, Detective David Hodges (Joseph Bologna) takes a special interest as he personally knows the family. Also that morning the severed leg is found where Pedro and Victor were last seen. Hodges thinks the two incidents may be connected. The local pathologist (Buckley Norris) suggests that the mans leg was severed by a large animal, and that traces of saliva were found on the bite marks on the leg. He says he has sent it over to the university so Christine Hodges (Dee Wallace-Stone), who just happens to be Hodges wife, by a complete coincidence of course you understand. While discussing the case over dinner that night Mr. and Mrs. Hodges jump to various implausible conclusions and decide that a giant alligator is running around the sewers. Chief Clarence Speed (Brock Peters) doesn't believe him, but says he can continue investigating the case and let him know what he comes up with. Inconviently, Brown is planning a carnival to promote his crooked beach-side property dealings that are currently in the balance. Hodges tries to talk with Brown and get him to cancel the carnival, Brown refuses and leans on the city's mayor, Anderson (Bill Daily) to have Hodges arrested and taken off the case. The alligator kills an old wino called Oatis, and his friend Henry (Carmen Filpi) barely manages to escape. But Henry does escape and reports it to the authorities, Hodges now has proof. Brown then calls in Hawk Hawkins (Richard Lynch) and his posse of men to track down the alligator and kill it. Meanwhile Hodges isn't going to give up that easily and along with a rookie cop named Rich Harmon (Woody brown), the mayor's rather attractive daughter Sheri Anderson (Holly Gagnier) and just so it's a family affair his wife Christine, sets about killing the mutated alligator themselves, and try to prevent a bloodbath at the carnival which just happens to be right next to a large lake.

Directed by Jon Hess I absolutely hated this film. I challenge anyone to name anything good about this film. Hess fails to inject any humour, pace, momentum or excitement into the film. He directs it like a low-budget T.V. film, everything about this film says the filmmakers just didn't care about the finished product. The ending is awful, the alligator just walks through the carnival and people run away, and that's it until Hodges arrives. The script by Curt Allen is boring, slow, predictable and is full of padding that really didn't need to be there. It does however have a couple of mildly amusing lines of dialogue in it, like when the slimy Brown is talking to the mayor's pretty young daughter and says "your a child stick with me and I'll make you a woman", he knows how to charm the ladies! Henry lovingly reflects on his mates death by the alligator and says "Oatis was my friend, he didn't deserve to be a tooth pick!". Those are two of the better written scenes as well. I thought Micheal Douglas lookalike Bologna made for a reasonably likable hero, even if he was to old to be running around with a rocket launcher! Railsback reaches a career low here and is criminally underused throughout. The special effects are awful, the alligator itself isn't in the film that much and when you see how bad and unconvincing the puppet effects are you'll understand why, there's no blood, gore, violence, nudity or bad language either. Can someone tell me what the point of this film existing is? Words can barely describe how much I hate this film, Jon Hess and Curt Allen if your reading this you owe me 90 minutes of my life back! Avoid at all costs, and if you do decide to watch it just don't say you weren't warned!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is Mystery Science Theater when you need it?
culwin4 November 2001
Words really cannot describe this movie. Wait, yes they can... a big alligator kills people. The Chief of Police dresses like a CBS Sports reporter from the 70's. And Major Heely is the Mayor. What more can you say. Oh yeah, one more thing: this movie sucks.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a very bad film gets an even worse sequel
TheUnknown837-126 May 2010
Let me state right off the bat to all fans out there that I did not like the original 1980 film "Alligator." As a matter of fact, I did not like it at all. I rarely use this word beginning with an H, but I *hated* the first "Alligator." To some, it's a funny creature feature satire. To me, it was a total bore and that's too bad for me, because I love the creature feature genre and was really looking forward to that film, which has gone on to become sort of a cult classic.

Anyway, enough about the first movie. If you want to know why I detested it, see my review for it. We're here to talk about its 1991 sequel unimaginatively titled "Alligator II: The Mutation." And it's even more unimaginative than its already unimaginative predecessor. It's an even more typical sewer alligator picture. Now keep in mind, I have not seen this movie in ages and I have no desire to see it again. What I do remember of "Alligator II" was that it was a complete bore with special effects that were barely more competent than the movie that preceded it by eleven years.

The plot was something like "Jaws" set on a lakeside. There's a carnival going on by the shores of some urban body of water. A detective (Joseph Bologna) becomes convinced there's a killer alligator loose in the water, but a greedy businessman is determined to keep the attractions open nonetheless. Anyway, boaters and swimmers decide to go for a dip or ride in the water and are never seen again and then finally...

I must stress the word "finally" because "Alligator II" is a really tough film to sit through. It's not particularly gruesome; it's just a complete bore partially because it's so predictable. What also gets a kick out of me is how people panic at this gator because it's moving so slowly through the water when pursuing them. When out of the water and lumbering around, it is more agile and quick. And to conclude just how tasteless and dull this movie is, I reflect upon its ending which is just another rip-off of the hair-raising climax of "Jaws" and just proves just how great that Steven Spielberg picture was.

I thought the first "Alligator" was a very bad movie, but it does outshine its sequel.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A silly sequel
GOWBTW27 August 2020
The first Alligator movie was a good horror film. The sequel, kind of mirror the first movie, but a little more on the comedic side. Both have fine cast of stars. The sequel has a few more stars than the first. The violence level is lower. The baby alligator from the first one raised terror as an adult. Another baby alligator was flushed. It survived the sewers by eating carcasses of lab animals. It killed two fishermen here. An unscrupulous politician trying to turn a housing complex into a shopping mall. Another cop for being a lone wolf or "Solo Lobo" trying to find the mutant reptile. Unlike the first movie, the sequel deals with the dumping of chemicals. And more hunters trying to take out the mutant. Joseph Bologna, Brock Peters, Dee Wallace, and other actors did help out this movie. Only if there's more action to it. The first movie has more horror, this movie has more star power. No putdowns here. 2.5 out of 5 stars
Mutant
bevo-136782 April 2020
Just as good as the first one. This time a lake full of toxic chemicals. No one strained a hammy thinking that one up
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Richard Lynch, Steve Railsback, and not much more .........
merklekranz25 January 2020
On No! A toxic chemical dumped into the sewer system by the evil Steve Railsback's evil company, causes a mutant Alligator to threaten a carnival. The local police lead by Joseph Bologna want to shut down the carnival until they can deal with the gigantic annoyance. Railsback on the other hand needs the carnival to help promote his land grab. Obviously "Alligator 2" is not willing to take any chances beyond the obvious "Jaws" formula. What to do? What to do? The answer? Call in an Alligator expert to eliminate the Gator. Enter Richard Lynch along with his Bayou brothers. The blonde enemy of all Gators, fits nicely into the role of a grizzled Alligator hunter. Most definitely Lynch is the best thing "Alligator 2" has going for it, with Railsback a close second. The Alligator doesn't even finish in the top ten, but you already knew that. - MERK
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lacks the cheesy awesomeness the first one had
moviesforreal3 May 2018
They honestly tried to make it good new line cinema was making it it had a higher budget but they got an awful director ,awful writers and unknown awful actors this film could have been an actually good movie that would be better then the first one or might have been a good film by itself if they talented good people to make it like they should have gotten steven spielberg as director and John McTiernan as writer i just see that would have made it good but it's just disappointing.
The Tall Grass in the Sewer
jmissirlis121 February 2004
Many of the B-movies I catch on Sci-Fi are usually quite entertaining but Alligator II was one of the worst. I was able to handle the hideous acting (especially the science lady), insults to humanity (token black police chief was worth a laugh out loud when he first appears), and plastic small then big then small then big alligator. However, I couldn't get past the scene where the sewer looked like the everglades. I kept thinking why is it night time in one scene and daytime in another, then it hit me that these idiots are supposed to be in a sewer. A sewer with reeds and tall grass like the swamp. The chanting and clapping from the crowd at the end was hilarious also! Before this, Octopus II was the only 1 out of 10 I'd given. Congrats Alligator II for making my 1 list!
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No peace until this giant 'gator' is caught.
michaelRokeefe4 November 2001
This is NOT a sequel to ALLIGATOR(1980), but the premise is still the same. A community is terrorized by a giant toxic alligator that crawls out of the sewer. A decent ensemble cast can not save this 'dud'. The 'gator' is just not scary enough and the pace of the story is equal to a bad accident. The diverse cast members are good, but equally bland: Steve Railsback, Joseph Bologna, Dee Wallace Stone, Brock Peters and Bill Daily. Stone is the biggest disappointment. This movie just doesn't get going faster than a slow crawl.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is scarier then the first one
jacobjohntaylor19 March 2018
The first movie of Alligator is very scary. This is scarier. This a very underrated movie. It has a great story line. It also has great acting. It also has great special effects. Only some one who does not know a good horror movies when they see it would hate this movie. Any one who likes horror stories should see this movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alligator II: The Mutation
Toronto8523 March 2012
Alligator II continues with the story of a giant alligator terrorizing people. Despite warnings from police, no one listens in fear that a local weekend festival will be cancelled if reports of a killer alligator are reported. All of this of course leads to gruesome deaths. Pretty basic plot which is taken from almost every other shark/alligator/piranha movie ever made. After the murders of a local fisherman, a homeless man, and some alligator hunters; the vicious monster is blown to bits.

There are a lot of random fillers in this Alligator II like long wrestling scenes, a storyline involving the mayor being pressured by slimy bigwigs, a blossoming romance between the mayor's daughter and a rookie cop, etc. At times it seems they were put in the film to use up time. Some pretty good performances from actors Dee Wallace Stone, Joseph Bologna, Holly Gagnier and Brock Peters.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Alligator, but it was decent enough. This sequel is alright, but adds nothing special to the series. The mayhem at the carnival near the end saves it from being a total flop.

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.