Spaced Invaders (1990) Poster

Spaced Out Fun!
Space_Mafune24 August 2003
After mistaking a Halloween re-broadcast of Orson Welles' classic radio adaptation of WAR OF THE WORLDS for a real Martian invasion, a group of moronic Martians shows up on Earth looking to conquer only their plans go awry as they find themselves truly out of their element and in reality all alone.

This really is often quite good and funny, with some decent lines (just check the memorable quotes) to boot. It will most likely appeal to Sci-Fi fans. This has passed the test of time for me as seeing it again recently it proved much better than I expected it to be. Despite a cast made up of no-name stars, this may just be the funniest Martian invasion ever put to film. Interestingly enough, the Martians themselves seem to represent almost every classic Action Hero/Sci-Fi Hero stereotype there is (cool 50s teen, fighter pilot, fearless astronaut, brave soldier and kooky scientist). Fun for the whole family.

"Prepare to DIE! Earth Scum!"
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just what is so bad about this movie?
boomryoung11 December 2001
I first saw this movie in 1990 when it first came out on video. I agree that it is total nonsense, but it is also one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen. The very idea that a group of "advanced aliens" would be running for thier lives from a bunch of country hicks is totally side-spliting. Why do all science fiction movies have to be about murderous beings? This group of Imperial Martian Atomic Navy misfits reminds me of some of the idiots that I knew in the army! No wonder they were left on asteroid patrol while the rest of the fleet went to war. Leave this movie alone. We need more like it.
37 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little delight...
Balthazar-524 October 2000
Normally the best way to annoy me in a film is to include some reference to Orson Welles. But here is a sci-fi comedy quoting the War of the Worlds broadcast.... and it is gold! The very concept of a small bunch of diminutive,aggressive and stupid aliens being mistaken as kids in Halloween dress is magnificent. Don't be fooled by the notion that because it seems like a kids' movie it is unsophisticated - it isn't, there's a lot of hidden treasure... A gem!
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun romp thru SciFi Silliness
davidemartin9 February 2001
Looking at some of the negative posts, you really have to wonder what some people do for fun....

I was lucky enough to see the film during its all-too-brief theatrical run. The audience laughed its heads off. I'm watching a tape of it as I type and it's still dang funny!

It's also got a sweet side, with unexpected turns of genuine pathos. The late, great Royal Dano is especially effective as the lonely, down-on-his-luck farmer Wrenchmuller. Ariana Richards and J.J. Anderson are great as the lead kids. And the actors in the Martian suits, although limited to mime, do a great job

Another thing to look for is the background details. The film is full of homages, pastiches, and references to other SF and fantasy films. Take a look at the Martian costumes next time. One of them is wearing a Marty McFly costume, another is a Ghostbuster, a third is in a House Atreides uniform, and a fourth is wearing a Last Starfighter flightsuit.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOTALLY FUNNY
becca23924 September 2004
I've watched this movie so many times the video is worn out. It is a movie I can put on whenever I need a good laugh. The farmer is hilarious, the duck boy is too. It's an overall feel good movie. Even kids 12 and up can watch it without being inundated with sexual innuendos, violence and cursing. The TNT award at the end is the best... "well, you can just say your prayers." LOL Oh yea, and so are the two old guys and the old woman after the martians fly by them when they are crash-landing on earth - "okay, go get the bucket" It's great! I think kids under 10 might be frightened by the enforcer drone, maybe. I don't know though, with all the crap they see on TV on a regular basis, it might not be. So go out an rent it today! If you have Blockbuster Rewards(TM) program, you can use one of your free rentals and you'll enjoy.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very funny movie!!!
John Wersan6 March 2000
Anyone who does not find this movie funny, does not understand simple comedy. This movie is not a complex comedy, it is full of one liners, and sight gags, and will make anyone who wants to laugh, laugh... The alien who is doing a Nicholson impression will crack you up!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is so bad that it's hilarious
knappws21 August 2000
If the creators of this film had made any attempt at introducing reality to the plot, it would have been just one more waste of time, money, and creative effort. Fortunately, by throwing all pretense of reality to the winds, they have created a comedic marvel. Who could pass up a film in which an alien pilot spends the entire film acting like Jack Nicholson, complete with the Lakers T-shirt. Do not dismiss this film as trash.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hilarious spoof of the the War of the Worlds genre
joseph_lauer24 January 2002
This movie is not for everyone. You're either bright enough to get "it" or you're not. Fans of sci-fi films who don't take themselves too seriously definitely will enjoy this movie. I recommend this movie for those who can appreciate spoofs and parodies. Everyone I've recommended this film to has enjoyed it. If you enjoy Monty Python or Mel Brooks films, you'll probably enjoy this one. The voice characterizations are done in a tongue-in-cheek manner and the one-liners fly fast and furious.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly, cute, a lot of fun, especially when you watch it with the kids.
calian14 June 1999
Or if you *are* kids. An earlier reviewer at this site called it one of the worst films he'd ever sat through, and I must admit that it's not great film-making. It's not SUPPOSED to be great film-making. Don't go into it expecting any great revelations, any high-tech effects. In fact, don't *expect* anything. Just take it on it's own terms and you'll probably like it. Light-hearted fun.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun take-off on alien movies!
wjeffer31 May 2000
Zany and fun -- that's all this movie is about! Don't think about trying to read too much into it. If you do, you'll be sorely disappointed. It's just a farcical take-off on monster movies and contains some real good slapstick moments. No violence, no sex, no foul language -- safe for the kids and fun for the adults!!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soo funny!
rainbow_14329 May 2002
I don't know how anyone could hate this movie. It is so funny. It took a unique mind to come up with this storyline. It's not your typical alien movie. These aliens are so stupid and confused. You need to rent it at least once.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a Looksee
johnboy1260-122 April 2009
Being from a small town in Illinois myself, I can instantly relate to this movie. Considering the era it was made in, the townsfolk look uncomfortably like a lot of people I grew up with. Yes the plot is so-so. And yes, the Acting is not going to get nominated for an Oscar anytime soon. But that isn't the point. The point is to suspend reality and just have FUN. And this movie has Fun aplenty. From the greedy,uncaring banker to the well meaning,but dimwitted deputy, this movie was made to poke fun at the SciFi genre and small town living at it's best. Who can't smile at the sight of the Enforcer Drone or the Vern Droid? and I LOVED the FarmZoid. Wish I had one when I was growing up. Overall, considering the technology they had available at the time, this is a pleasant romp into one's childhood, when you could sit back on a Saturday afternoon, Popcorn in hand, and laugh at the foibles of small town living. This is a movie I would watch again and again, if for no other reason than to poke fun at myself and my small town ways.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cute, above average movie
mcgrew4 July 2003
I thought this would be another goofball ET ripoff (like the awful "Nookie"), but it is, instead is light-heartedly enthusiastic, with clever dialog, and a generally don't-take-ourselves-too-seriously attitude that makes this a great late-night (or late-saturday-afternoon) entertainment. Give it a watch! "That's it! Take me to a Government Lab, and cut me into wafer thin sections."
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Halloween movie!!!
michael_shell7 October 2008
This movie is to Halloween what the hilarious "Christmas Story" is to Christmas: both are relatively low-budget, no-big-name-stars type films...and both are two of the absolute greatest and funniest movies available, both seasonal CLASSICS!!! "Spaced Invaders" comes galloping out right from the start with warmth and humor and a superb cast of characters...all five goofy Martians, Klembecker the Realtor, Russell the deputy, Vern at the "fuel dispensing depot" and so many more! You just have to see this movie to believe it, and, like "Christmas Story", it just keeps getting better and better with each viewing, and you pick up on fun little things each time!! MOST DEFINITELY A TEN!!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It rocked
KATH86028 January 2001
Spaced Invaders rocked! It was an awesome underrated movie that very well should definitely have gotten much better ratings. I saw it when it was out in the movie theatres eleven years ago. I thought it was incredibly funny and still think that way today. I think they should have made action figures and a sequel of this great movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was pure fun
JoeB13123 August 2009
"I moved out here to get away from this kind of thing!" The small town sheriff laments.

"This happens a lot in Chicago?" His deputy asks.

Well, no, not really. The plot is that a group of Martians mistake a Halloween Rebroadcast of Orson Welles' War of the Worlds as an account of a real Martian invasion, and conclude they need to get in on the action! What follows are a bunch of mishaps involving the Martian's haphazard attempts to conquer the town of "Big Bean, IL". Everyone concludes they are kids in really good costumes, except for the Sheriff's daughter and her friend, a kid in a duck suit.

The Martians themselves are comical, and you get the impression they are no threat to anyone but themselves pretty early on. It's a fun family movie.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun.
Phil_H18 September 1999
Stupid? Yes.

Laughable? Yes, again.

Fun? Definitely!

This movie accomplishes it's primary goal: entertain and have fun. That's all a good movie need do.

Worth a rent, at least one time.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Film From When Disney Could Make Funny Movies
michael_the_nermal18 July 2010
I understand many will think "Spaced Invaders" a lame farce about little green men trying to take over Earth; but believe me, compared to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," which I have just finished watching with my family, "Spaced Invaders," along with "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", makes me weep with nostalgia for how low Disney has fallen in quality. While "Spaced Invaders" is the film of least quality of the trio I mentioned, it nonetheless has a cheeky sense of humor, with a wonderful script and actors (er, voice-over artists for the Martians) who make this film highly watchable (and with no lame CGI effects of dragons or fireballs to ruin the fun!).

The Martians themselves make a great team. Their antics and delusions of grandeur are insanely fun to watch. One person compared the ostensible military commander of the Martians to Invader Zim, the protagonist from the eponymous Nickelodeon cult classic, and I think it is an apt comparison. Why does one Martian have a Jack Nicholson voice? I don't care, and I love it. Enjoy the futile attempts of the Martians to get their jalopy of a spacecraft to go airborne, and their desperate fight against the hicks and yokels of Big, Bean, Illinois. The human robot slave is one of the coolest sidekicks I've seen, and his creation, a robot made from tractors and other farm machinery, is one of the best special effects I've seen in a Disney movie. How can you hate his best line: "the smell of battery acid makes me thirsty!"? Answer: you can't.

This is one movie where you root for the alien invaders all the way. The human, denizens of a small Midwestern farming town, are made to be less than sympathetic characters, especially the wicked banker named Clembecker (or whatever his name was). One of the good humans is a brilliant example of character design, a crazy, wiry old farmer named Wrenchmuller who has a way with words and with nitroglycerin. The kid in the duck costume who also speaks with a lisp is also fun to watch, though he isn't in the film all that much.

Don't take "Spaced Invaders" too seriously as a film, nor look for any important theme or message. Sit back and enjoy Disney before CGI and Jerry Bruckheimer eliminated any camp value the company once had.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute harmless fun with lots of hidden gags.
johnb-2523 October 2001
This is a thinking man's silly movie. If you don't expect Star Wars and enjoy British humor this might just turn into a cult classic for you as it has for my wife and I - from casting the "voice" of Cary Grant and Jack Nicholson as martians to the overly simplistic populace of Big bean this is a movie that you can either sleep through or watch carefully and enjoy either way.

It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy relaxing easy humor that takes a quick mind to see the joke as it slips by you will enjoy this movie.
A Kid Movie Worthy Of Adult Attention
lnmaddalena8 July 2001
This is a gem of a movie not just for people who like fun and quirky premises, but who love the history and traditions of Sci-Fi and Classic Hollywood movies. Each alien of the Martian crew is the embodiment of a classic Sci-Fi character or member of Hollywood royalty and it's pure pleasure watching them bounce of each other and the residents of Big Bean.
A Wounderfull filme!
PhrenicGermal24 April 2001
Laughs, adventure, a good time, a killer soundtrack, oscar-worthy acting, and special effects/ animitronics like none other, what else could you want in a movie? If you see this will be on the telly, WATCH IT, otherwise, run out now to RENT IT!!!
Instant kult hit !
binej6 April 2001
Basically, this movie is one of those rare movies you either hate and think borders on suicide as the next best thing to do, rather than having to sit through it for two hours. Or, as in my case, you see it as a kult hit, one of those movies wherein the humour, the plot, the acting, is actually very hidden but for those of us willing to go looking for it, trusting the director well, the reward is: U laugh your A.. of !! The fact that U have to find the things mentioned above, actually makes the movie even more funny, because u get the impression the director isn't even aware of how funny his movie is, which doesn't seem likely and therein lies the intelligence at the helm of this magnificient project called : Spaced Invaders !!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An American surprise! Very Good!
tim.shepherd17 November 2000
This is cult stuff. My friends and I get together once a year to enjoy this movie. Its very funny and very dry . I've seen this move dozens of times and have yet not to enjoy it.The actors are funny and it gets better with every viewing! If you enjoyed "Morons from out of Space" you will love this. A great play on War of the Worlds. I love the Red-Neck rampage to get the aliens, the bug on the hood, the DOD, the Heat Seeking Populous Annihilator, the Mine Field, the Red Camo, breaking the speed limit by 1800Mph! "I'll get the bucket!" Very Funny. I would love for this to come out on DVD! Forget the negative reviews see it for yourself!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, vastly underrated movie with multiple levels of humor
mengshun22 February 2004
Like the great classic Bugs Bunny cartoons, this movie has humor at different levels. I just introduced this to my 10 year old daughter and 11 year old son. Both enjoyed the movie - busting out laughing quite a few times... and my daughter is not much of a sci-fi fan. The movie kept me laughing despite having seen a few times... the adult-level humor (that is, humor that adults will get simply because of greater life experiences, no baudy or R-rated stuff to be found here) keeps the movie equally enjoyable for adults. For example of the adult level humor, the Martian voices are based on characters of different movies/actors. The Martian pilot, Blaznee, has the voice and mannerisms of Jack Nicholson; the scientist, that of Peter Seller's Dr. Strangelove. The special effects are surprisingly good for this film. The lack of top 10 actors actually works in the movie's favor, and the actors/actresses play their part well - in fact I would say the producers picked out actors and their skills for the roles' needs over box-office draw power (an excellent example is Wayne Alexander's "Vern" character). I had to write this review... the kids are playing this for the 3rd time in 4 days over dinner right now. Good for a rainy day or a late night weekend there's-nothing-on-and-I'm-bored movie.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My! How pretty!
Amy_Brigman25 April 2003
"Spaced Invaders" is one of the funniest movies, I´ve ever seen. I don´t understand, why this movie didn´t get better critics, it´s funny, harmless and sweet. I first watched it, when I was 11, and I really fell in love with it... 2 days later, I got it on VHS :-P Till today, I´ve shown it to many friends, and they all liked it, but nobody knew the movie before. I think, that´s the problem, nearly nobody knows it, so nearly nobody can like it... This movie never got a real chance, that´s sad, "SI" has really the potential of a comedy like "Monsters Inc." or "Spaceballs". Ok, enough displeasure - What I really wanted to say, is that, if you ever want to laugh your head off, watch it! Even if you don´t get mad about it, it´s worth watching! --> Prepare to laugh, earth scum!
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.