Mo' Better Blues (1990) Poster

Surprised how much I liked it
AndyInThePieWithAlmonds15 January 1999
When this was on TV the other night, I expected to stick out about two minutes of it. Being a follower of Tarantino, all I'd heard recently of Spike Lee was wholly negative. In addition, I know nothing of black culture and/or jazz. Imagine my surprise then when, two hours later, I found myself entirely intoxicated by the blend of atmosphere, empathy, humour and pure depth of character and relationship in this exceptional movie. Next up, I'm watching all his other movies... Quentin, make your peace!
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spike's cool, modern poem to jazz
JawsOfJosh3 November 2000
After the commercial and critical success of "Do The Right Thing," in which Lee announced his arrival as a major player, he choose to follow up his breakthrough with a more personal film. If you examine history, it seems all iconoclasts choose to do so after their first big success ("The Conversation," "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind," "Talk Radio"), and Lee decided to pay homage to what he's always referred to simply as "the music." Set in then-present day 1990, "Mo' Better Blues" tells the tale of Denzel Washington as Bleek Gilliam, a selfish trumpeter who fronts his own jazz quintet in an upscale Brooklyn club. The strength of the film deals with Bleek juggling his loyalties. On the love side, Bleek is caught between two women; Clarke is a sexy bombshell in constant need of Bleek's attention who's too busy centering in on his music. She's also an aspiring singer hoping Bleek will give her a chance to shine. Bleek, obviously, does not want to share the spotlight. Indigo is a thoughtful schoolteacher who is not fragile with Bleek's tremendous ego but is careful with his somewhat callous heart. At work, Bleek is wrestling with a hungry band demanding pay raises given the success they're achieving at the "Beneath The Underdog" club. Clumsily working towards the band's raise is Giant, Bleek's lifelong friend and incompetent manager, who also has a considerable gambling problem. Bleek must decide whether to trust Giant or risk losing his band, while deciding how long he can keep up the game between Indigo and Clarke.

This, simply, is one of my favorite Lee films. Thank God someone finally made a jazz film for the late 20th century, jazz had not received a proper modern makeover since 1961's "Paris Blues." Lee creates a wonderful, intimate world set off by moody lighting in shades of red, yellow and blue. His camera and editing - which was spontaneous and lively in "Do The Right Thing" - is slow and deliberate here, carefully punctuated in all the right places. This film marked the debut of some of Lee's trademark camera moves, including the 'gliding sidewalk' dolly and his slow-spin-upward pans.

Like his previous films, Lee is adept and balancing out scenes between comedy and drama. A lot of the 'band' scenes are engagingly funny, mostly guy talk with a spin of that "cool daddy jazz vibe" added. Lee is also skillful at making Bleek the antagonist of the film without rendering him completely unlikable. The "Love Supreme" montage ending seemed to stretch the film for longer than some would have liked, but I feel it was justified in order to illustrate the beauty and necessity of Bleek's redemption. Lee was also smart to reduce screen time given to the film's true protagonist, saxophonist Shadow Henderson (rendered with cool, suave sophistication by Wesley Snipes), in order to keep the audience focused on Bleek. You will also get a delicious sampling of great jazz in this film if you're a novice to such. Aside from the concert numbers written and performed by Branford Marsalis and the dreamy jazz score by Lee's father, Bill, there are great pieces by John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie, among others. A cool, sexy film.
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spike Lee, ya got this one right!
Rhythm-24 December 1998
One of Spike Lee's best, "Mo Better Blues" captures the atmosphere of jazz. The soundtrack flows with the acting like a song. Denzel Washington does a great job of portraying a jazzman's quest for perfection, while living in a "real world" full of problems. Being a musician myself, I appreciated the struggle Washington's character was going through. All of Spike Lee's trademark camera angles (which I've disliked in some of his movies) worked to perfection in this movie. Great music, good acting, and a solid plot. Recommend!
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Insight Into The NYC Jazz World
youngman4412 December 2006
This is a very entertaining movie and it is underrated. The characters, story and music are captivating.

However, I think part of the reason for the lower ratings is the the poor camera effects. Lee focuses in on characters at times, as though they are standing and talking to a camera by themselves in some sterile room, such that it actually cheapens the film. There is a real lack of realism to this technique - it reminds me of 1960's style TV shows like Batman. It gives a feel that they ran out of money and when they had to go back and re-shoot the scene, they did so on the cheap. A minority may find this unique or appealing, but no great movie or director will use this technique. The filming with multiple characters in the shot is generally very good. But, the movie could have been better without these flaws.

The writing at times is exceptional. There are great lines, as well as very entertaining dialogue. The scenes between Denzel and Snipes are exude an extraordinary power and they offer an exceptional dynamic to the movie as a whole. The female characters are also very compelling. "Clark" (Cynda Williams) is extraordinarily attractive and the movement of the character through the course of the movie is well done.

It is difficult not to be captivated by this film. The positive cultural dynamic it captures is one that Americans can only hope to be present. Yet, one gets the feeling that reality is closer to the darker elements the movie exposes. Yet, there is ultimately a very positive message of love, responsibility.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bleeek!
capncruller25 May 2014
This was a frustrating movie for me because it was at times brilliant, yet there are a few things that could have been done better.

Spike Lee shows why he is revered as a writer director, with beautiful dynamic shots, intercut with smooth jazz. It is a charming presentation. Also the dialogue is interesting and feels natural and spontaneous. The combination of strong writing and acting makes for interesting conversations.

The things I found frustrating was the lack of a focused or interesting story. Also Spike Lee's performance was very weak compared to Denzel's and he should have stayed out of the movie. He actually took a lot of the attention from the other characters and tried to make the movie about himself.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting interpretation of life and love...
lesyle11 July 2003
I really enjoyed this film. Everyone has a Bleek in his life: someone whose love of his life is all he knows, wants to know, etc. However, we always lose the love of our life for various reasons. Then, what do you do when the love of your life is suddenly taken from you? That is this film's theme. Bleek's only love was jazz music. Bleek's music was the only thing that mattered to him. Music overrode everything: an incompetent manager (who was his best friend), his lovers, and the contentment of his bandmates (the money issue which is related to having an incompetent manager). When Bleek lost the love of his life (watch the film to learn why), he was forced to make some hard choices about his life and face some unpleasant truths (something we've all had to do).

I enjoyed the score and the jazz pieces included in this film (after all, Bleek played the trumpet). I really liked the cinematography in this film because the film showed the beauty of New York City - the brownstones, the Manhattan skyline (a brief glimpse), the Brooklyn Bridge, etc.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
davisdontaye17 October 2006
One of the best film's Spike Lee has ever created. Denzel Washington plays Bleek Gilliam, a selfish musician who only listens to his music. He cheats on his women and wants the spotlight only to himself. On his road to redemption he encounters betrayal, lies, and greed before he finds happiness. A happiness that comes at a heavy price. Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes give superb performances in their roles. The supporting cast members also give terrific performances in this film. The supporting cast members include Giancarlo Esposito, Samuel L. Jackson, Bill Nunn and Spike Lee. Spike Lee gives these characters enough personality to keep this movie entertaining. Each member adds enough color commentary to the film making this a joyous event from beginning to end. Add this movie to your video collection if you haven't already.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Spike's best, but still a great movie
Wazoo26 April 2000
Spike Lee is, in my opinion, one of the most exciting young filmmakers to emerge in the last 20 years. While "Mo' Better Blues" is not as wonderful as "Do the Right Thing" or "Malcolm X," it still deserves considerable recognition as one of his more solid efforts. The story is a bit uneven, but the acting and the music more than make up for it.

Denzel Washington plays Bleek Gilliam, a NYC trumpet player who fronts his own jazz quintet to sell-out crowds at a local club. He's managed by Giant (played by Lee), an irresponsible compulsive gambler who is only Bleek's manager because they're childhood friends. Meanwhile, Bleek is seeing two different women (played by Joie Lee [Spike's real-life sister] and Cynda Williams), and is torn between his passion for music and his inability to control his relationships.

Things go haywire when Bleek's sax player, Shadow (Wesley Snipes), vies for the affections of one of Bleek's women, promising her fortune and fame as a jazz singer since Bleek only cares about himself anyway.

Giant's gambling problems, Bleek's convictions as a "serious" musician, and the tightrope one walks between love and professional dedication are themes all visited in this exciting, vibrant film.

Besides the wonderful performances (by Washington, Snipes, and the always-underrated Lee standby Giancarlo Esposito, among others), Ernest Dicekrson's cinematography is stunning, and the music -- performed in real life by Branford Marsalis, who has a cameo in the film -- is dazzling. The way the "band" mimes the performances is thoroughlly convincing (although it must be noted that Bleek's drummer is played by Jeff "Tain" Watts, a real jazz drummer who actually performs on the tracks themselves).

If you're a jazz lover and a lover of Spike Lee's movies, check this out -- you'll be glad you did.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first film in the Denzel/Spike Trilogy
DunnDeeDaGreat27 November 2001
Denzel Washington and Spike Lee remind me of Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi when it comes to actors and directors.This is the first film they worked on together and it was a success. The storyline and music are all great and Spike continues to make good movie. I give this film ***8 out of ****.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Good, But Not On Par With Other Spike Work
jzappa26 October 2006
In Spike Lee's fourth film, Denzel Washington proves early in his career that he is capable of being funny and romantic in a more modest film than Glory or Cry Freedom, the music is breezy and romantic and consistent, jazzy and colorful cinematography, and another characteristic Spike Lee touch, which is his gift for drawing from his actors stunningly realistic performances. In some ensemble scenes, the dialogue seems like improvisation. Maybe it is.

Mo' Better Blues is a good, steady, effective drama, a portrait of a complex and overwrought musician and the indecision and jealousy that gradually eat away at his life, but it lacks the passion and brazen provocative nature of nearly all of Spike Lee's other films.

The cast, once again, is brilliant. Denzel is very very very authentic, faithful, graphic, and lifelike. My brother is a jazz musician and I've met several of his fellow musicians. I'm seasoned when it comes to jazz musicians. Take my word for it, Denzel's performance is entirely true. Snipes is brilliantly, swaggeringly audacious. Joie Lee comprehensively draws our sympathy towards her sensitive, self-conscious character and away from the elegant and subtly compelling Cynda Williams. Spike Lee himself is one of the most compelling characters. Samuel L. Jackson entertains in one of his millions and billions of early bit roles.

If I were to say, "I'm in the mood for a Spike Lee joint," this would not be one of the first films I pick, but it's different and enthralling. I mean, it's directed by Spike Lee, so how can it not be?
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
all dressed up with nowhere to go
mjneu598 December 2010
Spike Lee's latest 'joint' is a jazz variation of 'She's Gotta Have It', with the genders reversed: maladjusted trumpeter Bleek Gilliam (Denzel Washington) juggles two lovers while indulging an almost neurotic addiction to his music. His compulsive behavior is, presumably, a consequence of strict childhood practice habits, but if all work and no play have made Bleek a dull boy, the same can't be said of the film itself: Lee's self-conscious homage to music and fatherhood suffers from a dizzy overabundance of distracting, Scorsese-influenced 'style'. The film has been criticized for its stereotypical supporting roles, but the primary characters are likewise only skin deep. Except for some early childhood Freudian motivation, Bleek remains more or less a cipher, and his contrived, fantasy redemption (after a series of false endings, each one more lame than the last) seems tacked on only to provide a neat, symmetrical resolution.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Melodrama in Dullsville. Spike's sour note.
st-shot22 March 2008
Things get dull early an often in this in this mawkish jazz bio fiction written and directed by Spike Lee.

Bleek Gilliam (Denzell Washington) is a happenin' jazz trumpeter that fronts a quintet packing them in at Below the Underdog. His problems include an incompetent manager, a stage hogging sax player and two girlfriends that he's playing musical mattress with. The real love of his life though is his trumpet and his music. The band's manager, Giant, has a dangerous gambling problem and proves to be an ineffective negotiator with greedy club owners and would be best jettisoned but Bleek remains loyal for as long as possible. It will prove to his undoing as an artist but ironically contribute to his growth as a man.

As Bleek, Denzell Washington is all wrong as the ambitious trumpeter with a babe on each arm. He's too sweet a guy to be so self centered about his art, dispensing patience and love to those close to him with a low key remoteness. He simply lacks the fire. Wesley Snipes who plays Henderson the sax player would have been far more suited for the role but even he would have to mouth the flaccid throw away scribblings of Lee's torpid dialogue. As Giant, Lee hits the trifecta with an abysmal performance to match his writing and direction. Loosely attempting to mirror the grubby but sympathetic Ratso Rizzo to Bleek's Joe Buck he adopts a limp and even the "I'm walkin' here" moment from Midnight Cowboy. In this case you wish the taxi would run him over and be done with it.

Lee's script is all tepid argument, heavy handed ribbing and veiled insult with some requisite clumsy editorializing that Lee has to inject to remain down. The scenes between the band members backstage and in rehearsal lack spark and are only surpassed in dreariness by the Bleek, Giant conversations that have an ad lib look and go in circles. Completing this travesty is Lee's pretentious visual style. Tracking shots, zooms and pans are wasted and without significance to scenes. They just wander.

Blues is Lee's love letter to jazz (made implicit by the mountains of memorabilia plastered all over the sets) and it's all sentimental clap trap that lacks passion and verve. Jazz on film is better served by Tavernier's "Round Midnight" and Eastwood's "Bird" which get below the surface, reveal more sides of the form, the pain behind it in addition to offering infinitely superior lead performances by Forrest Whitaker and the real deal Dexter Gordon. This Spike Lee Joint doesn't even offer a mild buzz. It's some pretty bad homegrown.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spike Lee hit a good note on this one
drtturner15 July 2002
This is a good romantic film featuring two of hollywood's biggest stars in denzel and wesley. What struck me most about this film was what it shared with the film called "Unforgiven". Without giving away too much, I was shocked that the hero here was found to clark kent leanings more than superman ones. Unsettling at first, I grew to appreciate that the protagonists small steps and minor triumphs are okay and arguably more realistic than the shafts of the world. I grew to accept the vulnerability of this spike lee character called bleak.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better movies i have seen this and last year
HAK8 January 1999
First of all let me see i'm a big jazz fan. Furthermore with Spike Lee as a director and a lot of good actors you have a good start for a film.

It's kind of a dramatic and comedy film. Denzell plays a terrific role as as an artist who only wants his music, and neglects his girlfriends. And after an accident loses his love of his life (music). Only then he starts to realise there is more to his life than music.......
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love It .
marcusdavis4028 March 2021
All i have to say is that Mo Better Blues is my favourite movie.
Nice Brotha film
John6Daniels12 January 2020
Hate Spike or love him he sure knows or knew how to make gems.

For a $2.99 movie that I paid for. This movie was filled with drama, music and Brotha.

MBB is a very sentimental movie that puts 2020 sentimental movies to shame.

I recommend this movie to blues and romantic junkie fans.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavy-handed for sure. But also highly atmospheric.
topitimo-829-27045921 October 2019
Spike Lee followed his career-best "Do the Right Thing" (1989) with a totally different film, moving away from racial tensions and towards a universal groove. "Mo' Better Blues" (1990) tells the story of trumpeter Bleek Gilliam (Denzel Washington), and his relationships with band mates (Wesley Snipes, Giancarlo Esposito, Bill Nunn), his manager (Spike Lee), and the two women from whom he can't decide 'oh which one' (Joie Lee, Cynda Williams). There isn't really a plot-line, but instead the film moves on smoothly, enjoying great music on the way and depicting the obsessive trumpeter.

The film looks and sounds great. Lee builds a working atmosphere and makes you appreciate the music. My problem is that the film is very heavy-handed in its character working, except for the protagonist. The narrative thread of Wesley Snipes being jealous about Denzel's place in the spotlight, as well as the narrative thread about Spike's gambling problem and Denzel taking pity on him, are both old almost to a point of cliche. The film's groovy vibe makes them passable, but it does not rise to be one of Lee's masterworks. In "Do the Right Thing" he had played his cards right, and let things develop on their own pace. This film feels a greater need to explain the characters, who are already one-dimensional. And the ending is terrible, Lee lets the film continue about five minutes too long.

But the music is great, and Denzel is too. Also I got to give some credit to Spike's own acting. This film came out a year after "Do the Right Thing", and his characters in these two films couldn't be further apart. The supportive ensemble is strong, and makes the cast of characters better and more realistic, than the screenplay would have them to be.
My Favorite Film Tie
supremeallah76 December 1999
After just writing a comment about one of the least greatest black films (Belly) I decided to write about my favorite film. Actually Mo Better Blues is tied with Carlito's Way as my favorite film. At any rate Mr. Spike Lee expressed the story of love that everyone feels. Finding your creative spark in life, the person that adds on to your physical being, and being to able balance the both of them is the task for which this film tries to display and accomplish. It asks, if you didn't have the one thing which makes you you any more,how would you function. Bleek (Denzel Washington) was solely dependant upon his music because that was what he could outlet every strain of energy in him out on. Being an m.c. I know what it's like to have my lyrics be my way of venting out the world's hell. What complemented to his music was his love of women though. Yo, I thought Cynda Williams (Clark) was going to be my wife when I first saw this film. Anyway the black women portrayed the savior to Bleek once he could not depend on the only thing that he exclusively gave his attention to. Also on a side note this film was the first to portray a character from the Nation of Gods and Earths. Next time you watch it look for Born Knowledge. Overall this film was one of the reasons I'm in film school now. It was highly overlooked as one of the true black romantic comedies of my generation, as was Love Jones so we got to love our own before we love the other man's films. I loved this film and it is tied with Malcolm X as my favorite Spike Lee film.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cause mo better makes it mo better.
film-critic11 February 2005
I am normally a Spike Lee fan. It takes some time to really get into his "mojo", but once you see the clear message and the ability to tell the story that is close to his heart, Lee is a genius. Unlike The 25th Hour or Bamboozled (two of my favorite films of his), there was no clear story in this film. I was able to understand the struggle between Washington and the choice to play well or be influenced by others, but for some odd reason Lee was never able to get the true feeling out. Washington did a decent job with what was handed to him, but you could tell that this was not Lee's favorite film. Not only did Lee direct this film, but he also wrote it. You could tell. The camera work was horrid and the writing only contributed to the decay of the film. This film was coming full circle and it wasn't going to be pretty. Lee was not 100% behind this film as he was with Do the Right Thing. Of all the films I have seen Lee direct, this was the brightest and more modest of his films. It was almost as if he created a Hollywood movie instead of one that was all his own. I don't know if he saw the money from Do the Right Thing and ran with it, or what … but this film did not demonstrate his true talent.

For anyone out there that has seen this film, and perhaps stopped watching anything directed by Spike Lee afterwards due to this film, I suggest you give him a second chance. Don't get me wrong, I see exactly where you are coming from with this film and why you would want to put this behind you, but Lee does grow up. His work becomes more of his own, and you can see the transformation from a desire to make money to just wanting to make good films. It took me awhile to watch The 25th Hour, but when I did, it was sheer brilliance. Perhaps it was the actors, perhaps the story, but Lee crafted an amazing film out of one man's journey into the unknown. I guess that is what I was hoping Mo' Better Blues would turn out to be. This really dark journey into the life of a man that really never grew up, but instead all I got was Denzel being Denzel. He really is one of the most versatile actors of this generation, and I do consider him the Sydney Poitier of cinema, but this was not the film to showcase his talent.

Another issue that I had with this film was the use of Spike's sister playing one of the love interests. I don't know about you, and your family, but I do not think that I could have filmed a sex scene with my sister. I don't care who the actor is or how much money I am getting paid, I would never do it. It is just something that I never wish to see, but apparently that is different for Spike. He went ahead and showed the full nude image of his sister without any remorse. It was sad and it even made me blush. Also, I need somebody to answer me this. What was Flavor Flav doing introducing this film? So, I am sitting there on my couch, ready to start the film, when suddenly there is a voice from the past spelling out the studio that made this film, then he acknowledges himself. That did not build for a strong remaining of the story. Again, I felt that Lee was going for money on this film instead of actual talent. Perhaps that is how he could afford both Denzel and Wesley in the same movie without any explosions.

There were two great scenes in this film that made it worth watching through to the end. Don't get me wrong, this was a very bad movie, but there is always a diamond in every alleyway. The scene when Bleek accidentally forgets which woman he is with was mesmerizing. He continually went back and forth, weaving truth to confusion in a way that proved that Lee was actually behind the camera. It was a visionary scene that was probably lost in the shuffle due to the remaining poor scenes. The other scene that was worth watching was the way that Lee introduced and ended the film. By keeping the same pacing and direction, he was able to bring this tragic character around full circle and give him the chance to change his life. Other than these two moments, the rest of the film was pure rubbish, not worth viewing unless you are about to go blind.

Grade: ** out of *****
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will this movie never end?
fragment3424 July 2003
Crikey, lads, it's worth seeing for sure, but there's no plot and very few characters to care about. Scenes drag on past their logical end, and Mr. Spikey makes his points with the subtlety of a flyin' mallet. Kinda like Purple Rain in that if you could only remove the dialogue and leave the music, you'd have you one heckuva ham sandwich. Denzel delights, as he always do. And does anyone believe that slapdash ending? Nope.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun, jazzy and delirious.
OllieZ21 May 2007
I am shocked this film has such a low IMDb score! I watched both this and Crooklyn the past few days, and this is the better film.

It has all the flaws of Lee's films - tonally all over the place and a tad overlong.

But that's why I love Lee. He is always interesting. I love Inside Man, a more conventional film for Lee, but Mo' Better Blues is far more personal. This is quite clearly a work of love for the director. The cinematography is stunning. The fast dolly shots are similar to that of Scorsese and Hitchcock. The colour is wonderful too, full of rich blues and reds on the New York skyline.

The story is pretty good too, though you will have seen it all before. The tale of a jazz musician and his band, through their highs and lows: in terms of live and music. The acting is all round great, headed by Denzel Washington as Bleek, the artist who loves the music more than his friends. Wesley Snipes is Shadow Henderson. This is back when Snipes didn't have to phone in a performance in a silly action film. Lee himself, and Joie Lee also give fine support.

Let's not forget the music, which is what the film revolves around anyway. If you don't like jazz, I guess this film isn't for you. I myself liked it, it had me tapping my feet all the through.

The film is a little long and can sometimes lose its way, but this is a very enjoyable film, a solid effort from Spike Lee.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie has become a classic
les26415 October 2021
This movie has so much to love!

I believe this is the first movie, that I saw, that showcased the loving relationship between a black father and son! I especially enjoyed, what seems to be improvised lines, between the band members in the dressing room when they are hassling "Left-Hand Lacey about his Queen! It's so funny! Then there is Robin Harris, who's talent really shines. Then, of course, there is the music, from beginning to end, all enjoyable!

I just learned that there are cameo appearances by Traci Camila John's, and Flava-flav. I'll have to watch again and look for them!
Actually terrible!
dogonlion9 October 2021
When i was much younger I used to think this movie was ok, probably mainly because of Cynda Williams. I might have had a crush on her. All kidding aside, Spike Lee has to be the luckiest director in Hollywood. I know he is kind of slow and it shows in his writing but this one takes the cake. The dialogues in his movies especially this one are horrible. It's painful to sit through it. This movie should have had more music than talking. Spike Lee and his sister Joie have no business acting alongside Denzel Washington. Denzel did his best with the material he was given but could only do so much with such a poor script. One of the highlights of the movie is Robin Harris who's funny as hell and it's a nice performance to have here since he passed away before the film was released. Anything else in this movie is unauthentic, even the French girl is not really French, she speaks French with a thick English accent. The 2 women are portrayed as stupid objects who don't mind being treated like dirt by egotistical men. And what's with the white woman this, white woman that. Black people are usually the victims of racism, not the other way around. Anyway, I said too much for what this movie is worth.
More Important for Music Than Insight
LeonardKniffel1 May 2020
Written and performed by the Branford Marsalis Quartet and Terence Blanchard, the soundtrack to this self-conscious homage to jazz musicians was directed by the highly lauded Spike Lee. The film tells the story of a driven trumpeter named Bleek Gilliam, played with his usual flair by the great Denzel Washington doing an admirable job of rapping and seeming to actually play the trumpet. Lee cast himself as the annoying manager of Gilliam's jazz ensemble, and you really have to concentrate on the music to sit through their tedious arguments, not to mention scenes from Gilliam's neurotic love life. The movie was hailed by many critics as a penetrating look at the life of a jazz musician, but it is more important for its music than for its insight.
Watchable but not a classic! 4/10
leonblackwood26 November 2016
Review: I've never really been a big fan of Spike Lee's movies, mainly because I don't like his directing and writing methods, and his pro-black message was used to death but I thought that it would be good to see how far Denzel Washington has come in his career. He definitely gave this movie this all, and the instruments were played very well by the top actors but I got a bit fed up with the flow of the movie because it seemed to be going round in circles. It wasn't as pro-black and most of Spike Lee's earlier movies, thank God but it did seem extremely dated, and for a two hour movie, nothing really happened. For those of you who don't remember the plot, the film is based around a trumpet player, Bleek Gilliam (Denzel Washington), who regularly plays in a club with his band, and is managed by his best friend, Giant (Spike Lee), who is addicted to gambling and hasn't paid the band for a long time. As Bleek is the leader of the band, everyone turns to him for there wages, knowing that there manager is useless but Bleek stays loyal to his friend, whilst trying to hold a relationship with Indigo (Joie Lee) and Clarke (Cynda Williams). With the debt collectors constantly after Giant, Bleek tries to steer him in the right direction but after a heated alteration outside the club, Bleek's life is changed forever and his band decide to go it alone. That is the basis of the storyline, which did have some emotional moments but nothing memorable. Wesley Snipes (Shadow), was the same as he is in a lot of his movies and the rest of the cast were very average but Denzel stood out from the rest, and I haven't seen him show this side of his acting skills since this movie. With that aside, I still wasn't impressed with the film, in this day and age but it was good to see some top black actors together on screen, before they hit the big time. Average!

Round-Up: I'm not a total Spike Lee hater, because I did enjoy Inside Man, 25th Hour, The Original Kings Of Comedy, Summer of Sam and Clockers but the rest of his projects, really wasn't my cup of tea. Do the Right Thing was a big deal when it was released in 1989, mainly because of it's pro-black message and the great soundtrack, which went down well in the urban market but he seemed to get a bit big headed after releasing Jungle Fever, Malcolm X and Crooklyn. He also had a few scraps with fellow directors in the media, and his movies started to take less money at the box office, mainly because people was getting a bit fed up with the same theme, so after releasing Girl 6 and He Got Game, he decided to make a movie about true events called Summer Of Sam. 25th Hour was also a change of direction for Spike Lee, and he started to turn his career to TV for a while. He still was making controversial comments in the media, and after his poor attempt of a remake of Oldboy in 2013, which lost the studio $25million, he has been out of the limelight for some time. Personally, I think that he is his worse enemy, like Quentin Taratino and Mel Gibson, because they are known for the wrong reasons. They are all talented directors but there mouth seems to get them in trouble. Anyway, it's a watchable movie but not a classic.

Budget: $10million Worldwide Gross: $16million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their music/romance/dramas, starring Denzel Washington, Spike Lee, Wesley Snipes, Giancarlo Esposito, Robin Harris, Joie Lee, Bill Nunn, John Turturro, Cynda Williams, Nicholas Turturro, Samuel L. Jackson, Charlie Murphy and Doug E. Doug. 4/10
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.