Edward Scissorhands (1990) Poster

A poignant miracle
IlyaEck18 September 2004
Many people say the cried at the end of this movie... Huh! Knowing the plot already, I (a grown up man) can barely hold my tears from the very beginning whenever I watch it. Much more than just a "cute and sad fairy tale", this movie is a true piece of art. This is one of those rarest cases when a bunch of talented and truly, but truly dedicated people set out to create something beautiful, some chemistry occurs and ... a miracle happens. Fortunately for all of us, this miracle immortalized on film.

Throughout the human history, the wisdom of generation was conveyed through fairy tales. This tale is no exception. This story, told in magic simplicity, actually has some deep philosophical meanings. While mercilessly debunking the true nature of human beings, this tragic story really tears your heart, and yet it fills it with hope. That is the true and, perhaps, the only purpose of art, if you ask me.

Why do we need music, painting, theatre, poetry? Is there a real excuse for their existence? To me, the only purpose, the only excuse is to help people go on, to give them hope. And it's well worth it!

To sum up, easily Tim Burton's best, this film is a masterpiece, my favorite American movie, and probably one of the best movies of all times. 10/10
417 out of 464 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dark fairy tale about a man who only wanted to fit in
Smells_Like_Cheese18 November 2003
I have watched Edward Scissorhands ever since I was a little girl, this movie has always held a very special place in my heart. I think because I could relate to Edward… no, I don't have scissors for hands, but what I mean is that this is a fairytale story, but this is a simple story of a man who just wants to fit into a society of "norms". This is completely Tim Burton's creation and story, he's a very criticized director, he's either loved or hated. Some consider his stories to be too dark and strange, but when you get inside his head, you realize this is a man who is pure genius. He thinks completely outside the box and doesn't just resort to what Hollywood wants, he knows his audience and doesn't insult their intelligence, he brings us a charming story about Edward Scissorhands.

An elderly woman tells a story to her granddaughter of a man with scissors for hands named Edward, the creation of an inventor. He raised Edward as his son and tutored him in various subjects, but died while in the act of offering a pair of hands to Edward. Many years later, local Avon saleswoman Peg Boggs, after failing to make profits in her suburban neighborhood, visits a Gothic mansion on a hill. There, she finds Edward, and convinces him to have her take him in. Edward befriends Peg's young son, Kevin and her teenage daughter Kim. Peg's neighbors become curious and thrilled at Edward's masterful skills at hedge clipping and haircutting. However Kim's jock boyfriend Jim dislikes Edward immediately. Edward's innocence becomes an easy target for everyone to take advantage of him as often as they can. Wither it's destroying his reputation or putting him in danger, Edward was never prepared for this harsh world when he was given the kindest heart.

From the acting, Johnny Depp's first real leading role in a movie, he's so young and so incredibly talented. He plays Edward with perfect sympathy not over or under acting it, to be honest I'm a little surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, but it's such a bizarre role, I think it was very over looked. He makes Edward into a charming beautiful character that you fall in love with. Dianne Wiest, one of my favorite actress as the Avon lady, Peg, who takes Edward home with her, the reason I love her so much is she brings so much class into whatever role she is playing. She seems like the most lovely woman you could meet and makes Peg into a delightful woman who just wanted to help this man and didn't realize the world she brought him into. Winona Ryder, who was dating Depp at the time, had great chemistry and was absolutely beautiful. To the sets, which this world was just bizarre and stands out against so many other movies, like a strange Leave it to Beaver nightmare, all the houses in the suburbia are different pastel colors to this one hill with a dark castle. To the outstanding make up effects, can only imagine the pain it took to get in and out of that costume for Edward. Edward Scissorhands is truly a masterpiece and in my opinion will always remain a treasured classic, because all in all this is one of the most beautiful movies of all time.

271 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful employment of color, sympathy and human nature
Monica49378 February 2004
Tim Burton should have won an academy award for this film. It is truelly a masterpiece. Never have I felt more sympathetic for a character before in my life. Edward Scissorhands...a creation...an unfinished product made by an inventor, his father. When his "father" dies he is left alone in the mansion to fend for himself and discover things on his own without any guidance. Next an avon lady comes in and detaches him from his isolation and throws him into a society where everything is pastel, everything is precise and everyone is stiff. Edward Scissorhands gets thrown into a world comPLETELY unlike the one he was used to. Now he is the outsider.

Johnny Depp should have also won an Academy Award for his performance in this film. Although he had very few lines in this film, less than 100, his facial expressions and actions spoke loudly. Every detail he gave his character was so perfect and precise. When Edward examines the water bed, and takes his first sip of (what I'm guessing is) scotch, or in the beginning when he takes his first ride ever in a car into town. Just the look on his face when he finally gets to see what the outside world looks like was pure genius.

I hold this movie very deeply to my heart. In my opinion it encompasses every human emotion and nature. When Edward first arrives the locals accepted him and he became a famed hair/bush stylist. In the end they turn on him and see him for what he looks like, a monster. My rating for this film: 10/10
166 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Story Told In Beautiful Simplicity
Dark Eye7 December 1999
Edward Scissorhands is really an amazing movie. The plethora of lush cinematography, beautiful musical score, and great characters are extremely entertaining. The storyline is simple yet very moving. I still get misty-eyed at the end, even though I watched it many times already. The musical scores by the amazing Danny Elfman in Edward Scissorhands are one of his best work. It is achingly beautiful. Everytime Tim Burton and Danny Elfman worked together in a movie, magic happens. Burton's gothic style and Elfman's halloween-like scores always blends perfectly.

The story surrounds an unfinished creation named Edward, played brilliantly by Johnny Depp. The talented actor managed to make Edward a simple being that radiates vulnerability as well as restrained passion suggesting the real, imperfect humanity within. Edward's intimidating scissorhands and strange black & white physical appearance looked out of place amongst the pastel-colored suburban surroundings. He is unique; we both laugh and sympathize when we see Edward having a hard time trying to eat a single green pea with his scissorhands, but then we become slack-jawed to see that his expression of artistry in sculpting are effortless, masterful, imaginative, and passionate.

The movie ends rather sadly, yet beautifully at the same time. The tragic incident at the end over Jim (Anthony Michael Hall) is a single act of both unvented frustrations over the injustices done by Jim, as well as to protect Kim Boggs (Winona Ryder), the love of his life. This shows that although uncompleted, the fearsome scissorhands merely masks our eyes to his feelings, conflicts, and the imperfections of that of a real human being. His body is not completed, but his heart is.
143 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Tim Burton never did anything else, this film would be enough to call his life worthwhile
llltdesq31 October 2000
There is absolutely no way I can view this film in even a remotely objective manner, so I won't even try. Like eveything I've seen by Tim Burton, this film is at one and the same time, warm and frightening, tender and heart-wrenchingly evil, uplifting and dark. The good and bad in humanity are shown in stark relief quite clearly for everyone to see. But in the final analysis, the most important message the film has to offer is this: Love truly does make the world go 'round and redemption and just living to see another day is a kind of victory. There will always be bullies, just as there will always be kind souls who actively try to make things better (and who sometimes make things worse through their efforts). The most important thing is to be true to yourself, treat others as you wish to be treated and that if the bad guys win, we all lose-including the bad guys. Excellent cast, fine script and just overall a worthy effort not to be missed. One of Vincent Price's last performances, if not the last. I love this film! Most highly recommended.
295 out of 342 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the rise and fall of Edward Scissorhands and the inhabitants of a small town
dbdumonteil1 February 2003
You could have thought that Tim Burton would rest on his laurels, following "Batman"'s huge commercial success. Well, not at all. "Edward Scissorhands" appears like a more serious, more mature and even touching movie. This modern fairy tale links skilfully elements from the basic fairy tale (the castle) and elements from the social life (Peg's job as representative for a cosmetics firm) and it can be divided into two parts: the first one that epitomizes Edward's rise: thanks to his scissorhands that give him gifts as a hairdresser and a gardener, he becomes the idol of the town. The second one that shows Edward's fall, following a burglary in which he was inconveniently involved in, he becomes the town's bête noire (and the movie becomes painful) Tim Burton tells this modern fairy tale by introducing a lot of poetry, and during his movie, he tries to create an aesthetic beauty and he succeeds in, especially with the gardens of the castle, Edward's sculptures and Edward himself is good-looking in spite of his scissorhands. But "Edward Scissorhands" is also a movie of contrasts. There's an obvious contrast between the brightly coloured town and the dark rooms of the castle but also one between the bright town and its inhabitants who are scornful or mocking. Besides, they're the object of a satire of the actual society and Burton tries to underline its weaknesses. Of course, the inhabitants appreciate Edward but only for his gifts. Otherwise, they're mistrustful towards him because, in their eyes, he's different and eccentric (you could be one of the inhabitants!) and the single mistake (the burglary) can lead to unexpected consequences... Whereas Johnny Depp, he's simply extraordinary and finds here, one of his best roles. He provides to his character, a lot of tenderness, affection and above all, a deep sensitivity. At last, Tim Burton knew skilfully how to blend several cinematographic styles in just one film. In "Edward Scissorhands", you find everything: comedy, fantastic, horror and drama. Moreover, Danny Elfman's gothic music is widely gorgeous to create an intense emotion. It's sometimes difficult to hold his tears... All in all, a movie which is both tender, cruel and Tim Burton's best movie after "Ed Wood".
85 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greatest fable of the 90s.
MR_Heraclius22 February 2020
Tim Burton all time favorite artist of all time. Not just one of the greatest directors of all time, not just one of the greatest imaginative writers of all time, not just versatile camera works ever put to film, but a versatile genius of art. That's how I think of Tim Burton. Edward Scissorhands is his personal film that he ever put to film by his heart. When I saw this film for the first time, my heart burst of love. I was always in love with his films, I don't start loving Batman because of him, nightmare before Christmas is my all-time favorite holiday film, Ed wood, Big fish, big eyes, Beetlejuice, Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, all of them. But only one that is true to his heart and that is Edward Scissorhands. Edward Scissorhands is a versatile work of art ever put film, with darkness and colors combined together to make into a perfect rainbow is Edward Scissorhands. As for me this film is a work of art and yet one of my favorite films of all time. This prestige film is my childhood, my everything. As for Tim Burton, is everything you need to know about his charismatic of film. Grade A perfect 10
47 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An uncommonly gentle man.
avengerous_steel4 March 2006
BIG SPOILERS.

"Give it to my loved ones?" - Edward Scissorhands.

Created by an inventor who dies before finishing his creation, and so leaving him with razor-sharp shears as hands - Edward Scissorhands (JOHNNY DEPP) isn't like other people.

When kindly Avon lady Peg Boggs (DIANE WIEST) finds him one day, hidden away in a Gothic mansion on top of a hill, she takes him under her wing and decides to take him back to the suburbs to live with her.

When we see Edward in this pastel paradise for the first time, it is apparent that he doesn't belong: his wild, dark and frightening appearance contrasting against the immaculate, sweetly colored people and homes of the suburbs. It's an ironic contrast too, as both of these 'worlds' reflect feelings and thoughts that should not associated with them - as Edward is a good-hearted person, whereas the people of the suburbs are unkind and intolerant.

When Edward arrives there he is welcomed and loved, due to the way in which he can sculpt hedges, dogs and hair into amazing works of art. But eventually, due to human trickery and greed, and Edward's want of acceptance and love, Edward is painted by the townspeople as a monster when he is told to rob a house by the boyfriend of Peg's daughter, Kim (WINONA RYDER), and he is ostracized by the town.

Throughout the course of the movie, Edward falls in love with Kim. Originally treating him as an outcast, she falls in love with him too, realizing what a kind and remarkable being he is. In the end, she is the only one who accepts him, when the entire town turns against him. Kim's boyfriend, Jim, enraged by jealousy of Edward, tries to kill him. In defense of Kim and himself, Edward plunges his scissor-hands into Jim's chest and kills him. Realising both that by what he has done they can never see each other again for his safety they share a final kiss and part ways, Edward remaining in his mansion and Kim returning to the shocked town below. The ending of this movie is one of the most wonderful I've seen. Poignant and bittersweet, it is hard to forget quickly.

Johnny Depp is outstanding as Edward Scissorhands, showing a kind of curious and bemused innocence within in the character, but at the same time a restrained passion. Every expression on his face is full of raw emotion: every cautious smile, and every time of hurt and confusion. Johhny Depp is Edward Scissorhands.

This is a wonderful fable from the brilliant imagination of Tim Burton. It's a twisted and sophisticated Gothic fairytale with a dose of comedy, and a good helping of morality, too. While a family movie, it's not really for kids - some things in there even shocked me.

This movie is amazing, and I was entranced by it the very first time I watched it. I'm not usually one for ridiculous hyperbole about movies, but there is very little wrong with this one. I love this movie.

65 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enchanting!
mixedvixen771 April 2006
I would have to say that Edward Scissorhands is by far one of the best films done by Tim Burton. It is a very beautiful story. They couldn't have chosen a better cast for this movie. Johnny Depp is phenomenal as Edward. He brings the characters in his movies to life so well that it is hard to believe that he is acting. It seems as if when he learns about the movie and goes over the scripts that he transforms in the character. This film is definitely one of them. This movie is nothing short of enchanting. This movie was the reason that I fell in love with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. If you like movies that leave you bug eyed, make you think, and leave you wanting more then this is the film for you. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who loves a good fairy tale.
46 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burton's Best -- and Most Emotionally Touching.
MovieAddict201621 October 2004
Tim Burton is a brilliant visual director but with Edward Scissorhands he managed to combine these talents with pure, classic storytelling – Scissorhands is his best overall film, abandoning the slight characterizations and special effects-driven spectacle of the (albeit hugely enjoyable) Batman and serving up a convincingly detailed left-of-center fairytale romance.

The story is fairly basic, being the standard Frankenstein-esque tale of alienation and the empowerment of love. Edward (Johnny Depp) is a lonely man with scissors for hands, crafted by an eccentric inventor (magnificently played by Vincent Price in flashbacks) prior to his death. After Edward witnesses the death of his creator he stays locked away inside his mansion all day, which is located atop the otherwise cheerfully picture-perfect local neighborhood community.

Then one day a nosy neighbor decides to investigate, and ends up bringing Edward to reality. He falls in love with a local girl (Winona Ryder), and is witness first-hand to the joys of life, until accidentally injuring a young boy and becoming the enemy of the overzealous town. Soon everyone is out to get him for no good reason – the climax is beautifully done and, because Burton has allowed his characters to expand so much, it's also very touching.

The movie is decidedly odd but in a good way – the only problem is that it is occasionally quite thin when it comes to actual depth. Burton's never been as good at telling believable stories as he has mythical, exciting fables (see Sleepy Hollow for a similar example). Even Burton's Big Fish – arguably his most story-oriented film of his career – was somewhat shady. The mix of screwball dark comedy, horror, drama, romance and elements and familiar happenings of other genres results in a very different combination. You can literally "feel" the vibe of this picture, its heart pulsing black blood.

The movie was a childhood project of Burton, who drew sketches of Edward as a boy and used to alienate himself from his hostile surroundings by taking refuge in fictional stories involving the scissor-handed hero. As a result Burton's true affinity for the subject is evident – it's clear that he takes this entire project very seriously.

The acting is marvelous – Depp's performance is one of his finest and, arguably, one of the most convincing and fun of all-time. Depp has formed a Scorsese/De Niro-like companionship with Burton over the years, teaming up for various pictures (including Sleepy Hollow and the upcoming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). He's always had fun relishing his over-the-top and absurdly dark roles, such as Ichabod Crane in particular. In Scissorhands he gives the equivalent of a Travis Bickle – a man who feels shunned by society, only to open his heart and have it feel crushed again. This is possibly one of the reasons the film is able to affect its audience so well to this very day. The tale does not grow old because the values are timeless.

Edward Scissorhands, despite its occasional flaws, finally gave Burton the chance to unleash his talents as a visual filmmaker along with a pretty solid story mold – the result being a sublimely dark rom-com-drama that never conforms to the typical genre clichés and becomes quite a unique film in its own little world.

4.5/5
129 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hauntingly Poetic
BaronBl00d25 July 2000
I really cannot add too much more to the wealth of praise directed toward this film...much of it very deserved. Tim Burton really shows us his ability to transcend mere comedic situations(Pee Wee and Beetlejuice) and tell a story of humour love, pity, conformity, and so on in an eerie and entertaining way. The way this film is constructed is amazing...the sets are wonderful as they depict something so real and yet so far away. Burton takes us into a kind of fairy land of Suburbia...with a haunting, empty castle at the end of the block that just happens to house a man with scissors for hands. The music in this film helps create a great deal of atmosphere and really lends to character development; I particularly enjoyed his use of the music of Tom Jones. The acting in the film is superb on all accounts. Burton got a subtle and effective performance from Johhny Depp, whose talents cease to amaze me. A nice Burton touch was the use of Vincent Price in one of his final roles. Although only in three scenes, seeing Vincent again was a real joy.
80 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as any movie ever made
joeestlinbm18 February 2005
This movie impressed me to such an extent, that I had trouble sleeping for the first few nights after I saw it, not because he scared me. I just kept thinking about this guy who had scissors for hands, and was so unfamiliar with the world,

He had a wonderful talent for making things with his unique hands, but he was still confused about the way the world worked.

He finally wound up back where he began, which in a macabre sort of way was where he belonged, because his background just wouldn't let him fit into a so called normal world.

The ending was very sad. I'm a relative old man, and it made me cry. Watch it!! It's probably the best movie you'll ever see.
110 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Truly Magical Movie For All Ages, Burton's Finest
Apollo892 June 2005
This is one of Tim Burton's most powerful movies. Though the title-character seems strange he represents the goodness in the world and what can happen when society just doesn't accept difference. The Gothic look of the castle, combined with the glorious colour of suburbia creates a strong contrast and shows things may not be as they seem. Edward comes from the dark and scary castle but is gentle, kind and loving, the place he wants to be accepted into is the colourful suburbia, which is backstabbing, vicious and evil. This story shows the betrayal of a person who desperately wants to help and to love but does not realise he is being used. The only people that seem to understand him are the wonderful Peg Boggs (played brilliantly by Dianne Wiest) and the beautiful Kim (played superbly by Winona Ryder). Tim Burton has created yet another beautiful fairy tale to captivate adults and children alike. Johnny Depp shows his great talent as an actor and Danny Elfman's music for the movie is some of the most beautiful you're ever likely to hear. A great movie for Christmas and all year round, and while it is a classic story it also deals with the prejudices of society, friendship, family and love and I advise anyone who hasn't seen it to see it, it is an experience well worth it and a movie you'll never forget.
50 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An emotional charismatic and off the wall Dramatic Movie!
dave_psyattica16 December 2004
This film hit me with two main feelings. One, of an overwhelming feeling of sadness for Edward as his position is one that is just impossible to bear. To know that you are in love with a person to that degree and finding out they love you in the same way but knowing that you cant give that person what they seek, because of your hands. This was summed up in the scene where Kim asks Edward to hold her, but he just says, 'I can't'. Packed with emotion this film got to me with the acting particularly of Johnny Depp and the music. Very Cleverly written and accented, this added to the movie greatly. 10-10, this is a film i'm gonna keep for a long time, and most importantly, watch again! Classic!!
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must-see movie that you must see over and over again!
J_DXXXXX9 March 2005
Edward Scissorhands is heart-warming, poetic, tragic, and comedic. An all-in-one movie. The story about a half-made man named Edward, who has the misfortune of having scissors for hands, (Johnny Depp) is one of those rare creatures who's soul is bigger than his heart. His outward appearance (the black and white face, the hands) is out of place in the colorful suburban neighborhood he was brought into, but so is his innocence, vulnerability, and compassion. Depp's performance as Edward is one of his most original yet!

It's not just the character, its the background of the movie that makes it good also. THe underscore is haunting, and beautiful, it can alone bring tears to your eyes. The makeup is outstanding, and the way the camera captures the character's emotion and state of being is just breathtaking. And of course, without the help of Tim Burton's Gothic style, the movie wouldn't have the same effect.

Kim Boggs (Winona Ryder) falls in love with this man, and their tragic romeo and juliet based romance makes the audience long for them to be together. You hate Jim (Anthony Michael Hall) for breaking them apart, and the rest of the community for that matter! All in all, the mixture of music, talent, and story plot make the movie a must-see that you must see over and over again! I give it a 9 out of 10
29 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie of all time
TheJewishMonkey12 May 2005
This is a beautiful movie, and most people I know have never seen it. If you haven't, Make sure to see it! The ending is really sad and beautiful, and it leaves you with a happy/sad feeling. Also, the music just grabs you. There is a boy's choir that sings throughout the movie, and they just capture the emotion you are trying to let out, but don't know how. You should really see it, if you've never have. The movie 'Simon Birch' reminds me a bit of this 'Edward'. This is the perfect casting. Johnny Depp just seems so innocent, and untouched, and Winona Ryder is a snobby little girl who learns to look beyond a handsome face. I've never seen such a heartwarming movie- I don't think I ever will.
50 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Movie Ever in History
beckyandcutie7 November 2005
When I first watched Edward Scissorhands, my favorite movie of all time, I was 13, and the only reason I saw it was because I was an avid Johnny Depp fan, loving his looks and acting abilities. When I saw Edward Scissorhands, I was deeply moved. I saw Edward as a sweet, caring man, a special individual, a type of person I have only seen once. At the end of the movie, I had come to love Edward, and valued him as an unforgettable movie character. At the end, I cried so hard. I was sobbing. It was horrible, yet sad, happy and beautiful all at the same time. Now every time I watch, I swear, I always cry. I'm just a romantic, sensitive 14 year old. There are so many reasons though why this is my favorite movie. The least important one is that is has beautiful scenery. The pastel neighborhood looked like Easter colored candies. The house where Edward lives is hauntingly beautiful, with the black, decaying house, yet the radiant garden of sculptured bushes and beds of flowers spread over the grounds. The scene with the Snow Angel. Oh. My. Goodness. That scene took my breath away. It was angelic, exquisite, magnificent poetry that captured the innocence of Edward, and the beauty and creativity he possesses. The next one is the wonderful job of the cast, crew, music and director. I have to say that Tim Burton is my all time favorite director, this was the piece that moved me the most. It is his greatest work, the way he told the story. The cute beginning with the grandmother and her granddaughter, the way he introduced the audience to Edward, the way he tells the story, throwing in the quirks and jokes without being dirty or crude like so many directors with no talent today. The way he told the ending, the way he made us say, " Oh, that was so sad!!" The next reason is probably a little foolish, but . . . this was the very first movie to make me cry, I mean sob. Until then, at a sentimental part in a show, play, movie or song, I was neutral, showing no emotion. Now tears trickle down my cheeks when I hear Puff the Magic Dragon. The most important reason is this; this movie made me appreciate the beauty, kindness and sensitivity of the human heart, those qualities that all humans possess, but pretty much never reveal. More critical than that is it showed me the importance of love. The ending, really made me realize that, and not blush about it. Today I am one of the very few youth who realize the power of love, compassion and kindness, the beauty of the heart. Most people say that Edward was "trying to fit in." Personally, I think it is something else. I think he was looking for the feeling of being loved, of knowing that someone cared about him, of knowing that if he were alive, someone would care. In reality, is that not what we all want, maybe deep down? We all want to know that someone cares for us, more than anything. That someone would care if we were hurt, lonely, sad, happy, angry or whatever. In the end, I cannot really fully explain why Edward Scissorhands is the epitome of film. I do know it's beautiful, gorgeous, touching, cinematic poetry. Edward Scissorhands is not only great entertainment, but it is a flawless piece of sentimental art that every person should appreciate. Edward was a sweet, caring person with a heart of gold, something so rare that of all the people I know, there's only one person who is really comparable to him. That's sad, really. All I can say as I begin to end this review is that Edward Scissorhands is probably the best cinema that has ever been created, the best story that fully captures the depths of the heart, touches you and makes you sad and happy at the same time. If you haven't seen it, you should. I would give this movie infinity/10, but it wasn't an option. Edward Scissorhands is cinematic gold.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burton's Magnum Opus
zurnd15 June 2013
Here we go, Edward Scissorhands. Tim Burton himself has gone on record saying that this is the work he is most proud of, for it captures the very nature of what his films are all about. Whatever his perspective is on the film, this masterpiece is certainly my favorite of his filmography and for various reasons. For one, it was the first collaboration between Burton and Johnny Depp, and this relationship still lasts to this very day. Depp has been the main player in many of Burton's flicks and it's hard to imagine some of the movies without him. Second, it marked the swan song for one of my all time favorite actors, the master of macabre Vincent Price, who Tim Burton had idolized since youth. He even made a short film about Vincent Price in 1982, fittingly entitled Vincent. Third, the film hearkens back to the 1931 Frankenstein film and makes the mad scientist's creation sympathetic and pitiful. Fourth, the main character of Edward is such a whacky yet contemporary character that I can't help but relate to him at times. Then again, I think we can all relate to Edward Scissorhands from time to time.

The film constantly shifts atmospheres, but it works greatly in this flick. One minute, it can be a dark, Gothic horror related atmosphere, the next, it's the bright, sunny and upbeat suburban neighborhood. The film also has one of the all time greatest film scores, performed brilliantly by Danny Elfman, who's Ice Dance score fills me with butterflies every time I set my ears to it. One time, when I was younger, a saw snow falling outside on a cold winter's night, but the darkness didn't stop me from seeing each individual snowflake. I immediately thought of the Ice Dance theme. It's the very epitome of a beautiful tune. In fact, all the film's compositions are great, especially the theme that plays in the opening credits of the movie where we see a montage of the old inventor's lab equipment. Perhaps my favorite scene out of the entire movie is the scene where Edward sees a can opener and has a flashback of the inventor's cookie making machine. The inventor, played by Vincent Price walks in, marvels at his contraption, takes a heart shaped cookie and holds it up to the chest of the lettuce slicing robot that would later be transformed into Edward himself. It's a very touching moment and shows just how great ideas can be born from great minds.

The acting in the film is also something worth writing a book or two about. Johnny Depp's debut in a Burton film is probably his best. Even if he has little dialogue, Depp makes up his performance through his body language and movements. Depp based the movements of Edward off of Charlie Chaplin and it really shows, for several scenes show Edward waddling about and making facial expressions the Tramp himself would make. My favorite line of his from the film is after the neighbor Joyce (played by Kathy Baker) tries to seduce him in the beauty salon and he meets up with the Boggs family in a nearby restaurant. When asked by the father (played by Alan Arkin) on how his day went at the beauty salon, Edward tells him that Joyce lead him into the back room where she "took all of her clothes off". The delivery and the way Depp says the line makes it not only the most humorous line out of the film, but also the most perfectly time line out of the film. The other players are also grandiose with Anthony Michael Hall taking a break from playing the nerdy wise guy in John Hughes films and instead playing the dirtbag jock who torments Edward throughout most of the film. Winona Ryder, straight from Burton's Beetlejuice is also the apple of Edward's eye and comes off as the pretty girl many boys her age would love to date.

But one of the main reasons why I love this film to pieces is that it was Vincent Price's last and arguably his best performance in a motion picture. He plays the role of the inventor as a kind hearted, noble fellow who was on the verge of creating a creation like no other. Unlike Dr. Frankenstein, he's not an insane fellow obsessed with his work, he's just a kind gentleman with a passion to build things and enjoy the very things he constructs. The scene where he passes is a heartbreaking scene, for he was about to give Edward normal hands, ridding him of the sharp scissorhands he was bound too for so long. Still, Price is a child at heart in this film and his performance sums up his entire career in the Gothic horror/macabre genre. The scene in which he teaches etiquette to Edward is a memorable scene that will have you laughing and tearing up all at once.

What more can I say about the movie, it's magnificent. Sure, some may question where Edward got the ice for the ice sculptures at the very end, but that's a glaring issue. Edward Scissorhands brings us the best humor, the best imaginative elements and the best performances out of any other Burton film. Some think of it as a retelling of Shelley's Frankenstein, others say it's ET, I consider it a collage of many things, both from the horror and fantasy genres as well as the works of 19th century authors and their tales of weird beings and creatures of the night. And like I said earlier, I relate a lot to Edward, for he was a outcast, like I am an outcast, like we are all outcasts in certain times of our lives.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On paper, Edward Scissorhands sound weird, but after watching this movie. It indeed rocks! It's cutting edge. A very beautiful film. A winner.
ironhorse_iv5 December 2015
Don't cut yourself, from this movie. This movie worth, being connection to. Written & Directed by Tim Burton with help from screenwriter Caroline Thompson, this nostalgia romantic fairy tale hybrid is an American Masterpiece. Without a doubt, Burton's best movie, so far. The film tells the story of an unfinished artificial man named Edward (Johnny Depp), who has scissors for hands. Abandoned by his creator, a lonely inventor (Vincent Price, in what was his final film appearance); Edward is taken in by a blind optimism saleswoman, Peg Boggs (Dianne West), and her suburban family after she discovers him, alone in the ruins of a once great laboratory. Peg tries really hard to get Edward to fit in, with society by showing his talents for yard decoration, pet grooming and eventually hairstyling. However, there are those, within the community, who doesn't like Edward, because of his indifferent, yet innocent kindness. Driven by envy, jealousy and hate, they try to cast out, Edward, out of the town. Can Edward win the hearts & mind of the people, or will the people slowing turn against him, due to his monstrous appearance and his mysterious, yet frightening past? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie too much, I have to say, I love the mixer of Victorian Era Style Gothic Horror with that of the 1960s Americana Style of Comedy. It made for a very unique watch. The movie had some really wonderful set pieces. Some of them, remind me of the old German Expressionism set pieces of the silent era. The movie also had some of the best make up, I have ever witness. Great work from make-up artist legend, Stan Winston. Another beautiful thing from the film is the music by Danny Elfman. It was so enchanting to hear. I can still hear, it's haunting, but memorizing tune. It's also nice to see, that this film, started the long collaborate between Tim Burton & that of character actor, Johnny Depp. This movie indeed, shows, how good, a character actor like Johnny Depp would later become. Great acting from him. This movie also, felt like one of the last, charming performances of Winona Ryder, before she fell into mediocrity, in my opinion. She had great chemistry with Johnny Depp in this film. Supporting actors like Dianne Wiest, Kathy Baker, and Alan Arkin also add to the wow-factor of the film. Even, Anthony Michael Hall made a huge impact. It was so weird, seeing him, morph from a skinny-nerdy guy in his earlier films into a tough-looking bad guy here. Despite all, the praise, I gave the movie, I'm also willing to state out, that this movie does some flaws. Some of the biggest ones, come from the weak logistics of the story. It's full of jarring plot-holes, bad exposition and daydreaming direction. Some of the biggest examples are what were the reasons, why Edward was even given, scissors for hands? Another is whatever, happened to the body of Edward's so call, father? Last one, is the most jarring. Where does he get the ice to make snow in the first place? How can we even comprehend this!? The movie never answer those questions and some more. However, in my opinion, it doesn't really need to, since it's a fantasy film, and people should take it, in face-value, but I understand, if they don't. The story does seem a bit uncompleted. Another problem that people have, against the film is that it seem like it ripping off, author Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. In my view, I see the movie more like a homage to Frankenstein than a rip-off. Like Frankenstein's creature, Edward, is born virtuous. Full of tabula rasa in the beginning, it's only, when he sees the ugliness of the people, through their intolerance, that he began to withdrawn himself, from such an ignorant society. I can understand, why certain people might hate the ending to this film, since it was indeed depressing, but in my thoughts. I saw that movie tragic ending, does works within the confine of the story. Changing the ending would had, a lesser impact on its audiences. They was no other way to end the film. There is an obvious purpose on why the suburban houses look nearly identical, oversize and full of bright colors. It's to show, that despite, the majority of Americans saying, they're for a melting pot, there are still somethings; they're unwilling to accept. It's a satire joke, well played by the director. A lasting thought, to take home and think over. It's also a good, sad social commentary on how our society, mistreat those who might have different culture, or those who are sick or ill, or those of a different social status. I don't care, if it's depressing, I care that it leaves a very thought-provoking message in the end. After all, there is a good reason why the movie shows the Ice Dance flashback, before the credits. It's to tell, the audience, that despite, cut off ties, we all, still connected, by one great human emotion, and that's love. So in the end, it's not too tragic, but bittersweet. While, the movie only a modest success at the time, in part because of the strange premise. The film has since gained a large fan base, and turned out to one of the best collaborations between Burton and Depp. In 2005, it was adapted into a ballet by British choreographer Matthew Bourne and thoughts of a musical Broadway play, are not off the table in the future. Overall: Edward Scissorhands is a great movie, not only because of its sheer beauty, but its strong message of self-discovery and tolerance. Thank you Tim Burton for making a great film.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burton's best film.
kuringai-127 January 2006
Edward Scissorhands is, simply put, incredible. I often wonder if Burton's detractors have seen it (I suppose they have), or the thirteen-year-old "biggest fan"s who think that he directed The Nightmare Before Christmas.

How can anyone not be touched by this movie? How can anyone not love Edward? How can anyone not think Kim is cute?

By far the most touching of Burton's works- his "2001: A Space Oddyssey", if you will. And it is also his best film, though Ed Wood does come close.

The neighborhood Edward lives in represents everything wrong with society (even if it is set in the 50s)- gossip, alienating those that do not fit in etc.

An example of this is a scene near the start, were everybody in view of the camera does the exact same thing, in almost the exact same order, showing how mundane, unimaginative and repetitive life is.

Edward symbolizes the readiness with which we discriminate those who are different- the gossiping ladies, who instantly swing from one side of the spectrum to the other, and who can't live without a juicy conversation, are a little too close for comfort.

A lot of Burton fans will tell you that Ed Wood is Burton's best film- I disagree. This is, for me, my favorite Burton flick, and I also consider it to be his best.

Tim is always strongest when he works your emotions (as opposed to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mars Attacks etc.), and this is his finest emotional film- I cannot believe it isn't on the Top 250.

Not to be missed.
Amazing
grace_laura_newman21 September 2005
I love this film because of how beautiful it is. It has a whole range of amazing sequences that look like real art. The snow scene is my favourite, when Edward carves a figure of an angel with Kim's face from a block of ice, while she dances in the snow below. However it is also capable of being very funny at times (for example, Edward's ignorance of words which mean something different from what you would think. "Esmerelda: Have you sheep strayed so far from the flock? Edward: We're not sheep.") Johnny Depp's acting is incredibly passionate. He was the perfect choice for the role. I honestly cannot think of anyone who could have played it better. The bitter sweet storyline is enough to touch anybody (I still get misty eyed at the end), and I think this may be the single most beautiful film ever. Watch it, and who knows? Maybe you'll agree.
A Modern Fairytale
triin-jerlei20 August 2005
This is a movie unlike any other nowadays. E.S. should be called a fairytale for adults, yet it has a very deep meaning. I have seen it for about twelve times and still cannot get enough of it.

Johnny Depp makes an excellent performance despite the fact it was only his seventh movie (and the first one with Tim Burton). It is outrageous that he was not even nominated for Oscar.

What makes it a fairytale is the simplicity and purity of the movie. It is impossible to tell the time or place where it could be located, characters are beautifully drawn and still somewhat simplified. Burton accents the visual part, especially colors - it is genial how he has separated two different worlds just a few steps away from each other. The angel-like look of Kim, Jim's brutality and Peg's family's inability to see the problems as well as local housewives who are unable to use their own heads form a surreal reality so connected to Burton's creations. Burton shows our world in mirror.

The scene where Kim dances in the snow is one of the most memorable love scenes in the history of cinema, remarkable are also the giant sculpture of hand in front of the castle showing Edward's desires and the flashback that shows how dreams are sacrificed in the name of love. Every scene can be looked as a separate wonderful piece of art.

E.S. is a movie that is suitable for any age or educational level - everyone who loves fairy tales.
do you recognize?
larisse2 March 2005
Here's a story of a man we call a white crow but only a bit exaggerrated. A sad fairytale which looks like a real life too much - i'm sure you've met an Edvard Scissorhands in your life , not once , and even maybe you are him. People tend to judge each other by looks and are ready to use someone kind and naive, and irritation about soething unsubstantial easily takes over, and we often recognize a true love only when it's too late ,and there's nothing we can do, and it's alright. I think this film is one of Burton's best works - for me it's much better than Batman , i'm sorry , because it's way closer to reality.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" He's a highly imaginative character".
richard-wheeler11 November 2005
I first heard of this movie when I was 3. And then, I heard of many times and I wanted to know what it was about.It was a terribly sad movie which could bring tears to anyone's eyes.

Kim (Winona Ryder), Edward's (Johnny Depp) girlfriend told the story to her grandchild as a bed time story saying Edward was left incomplete when his beloved creator (Vincent Price)died from old age. Edward was left all alone in the mansion on the hill above the neighborhood.

Soon, a lipstick seller named Peg (Dianne Wiest) approached the mansion to see if she could sell any lipsticks. That mansion looked like the house from the film "Taled Of The Crypt". When she entered, she saw the front yards bushes were shaped like animals.BEAUTIFUL! And the mansion was very well maintained.

Inside the house, Peg wondered about and when she entered the attic, she discovered timid Edward. She was shocked to see that he had scissors for hands. And then, she decided to take him home with her to her so 50s suburban home. E.g.- All the husbands all left for work in the mornings at the same time and houses looked identical.

Edward was amazed to see what went on in the world which lived below him e.g- the people, the houses, mirrors and especially, Peg's daughter Kim. There was such a funny scene when Edward went into Kim's room and he accidentally popped the water bed. And when he was trying out his new clothes. He SURE did struggle to put on his clothes.

Suddenly, all the people of the neighborhood were interested to know who Joyce brought home. There was such a radical scene when Peg's son, Kevin (Robert Oliveri) took Edward to school with him for show and tell and when Kevin gave Edward a piece of paper, as quick as a flash; a long row of little boys and girls were made. AMAZING! Edward soon learned from Joyce's husband, Bill (Alan Arkin). He created a T-Rex out of a bush followed by the shape of Peg's family. And from here, Edward had flash backs when he was still living with inventor/creator. There was such an amazing scene with the machines working. They looked like people working together.

One day, all the people of the neighborhood came over to Peg's social at her house and Everyone was SO delighted to meet Edward. THEY LOVED HIM! E.g.- All the women wanted Edward to try their foods. And there were also some sad moments when Edward was battling to use scissor hands. For example, hard for him to use his cutlery at the dinner table, picking up glasses of lemonade, etc.

Edward was so delighted to meet Kim for real and he fainted. It was SO funny! And also when Joyce (Kathy Baker) asked Edward if he would like a glass of lemonade. Edward soon started to do the suburb proud. He also did fur cuts for dogs and he also became a hairdresser for women who wanted new hair styles. And all the women believed Edward did a good job on their hairs. And he also could unlock doors, e.g.- when Kim and her boyfriend Jim (Anthony Michael Hall) were locked outside the house, Edward came along, put one of his scissor fingers in the key hole and 'click'. The unlock was unlocked.

There was another funny scene: when Joyce tried to make love to Edward, the both fell off the chair they were both on with Edward's legs up in the air. And then, Edward quickly got up and took off. OOH! That woman's nails looked like Count Orlock's nails painted RED! And later on in the film, Jim locked Edward up in his safe in his home, the alarm went off, and the police rocked up. The police thought Edward committed a crime! When in fact Jim put Edward up to it! SAME ON YOU, JIM!!! And then, Kim told the brute to go!! You go, Kim!!! On Christmas eve, Edward did something interesting. he created a huge angel out of ice. WOW!!! With great detail of the angel's robe and wings!!!! There was another sad flash back: it was when the Inventor bought Edward a pair of plastic hands as a gift and when Edward reached out to hug his inventor, the Inventor died. Just like that! There was one huge moment of love turning into hate, it was when Jim tried to beat Edward up and Edward cut Jim across the arm. Edward certainly nailed the bastard there! And suddenly, the whole neighborhood heads toward the mansion on the hill. And then, in the mansion, in the attic, Jim struck back! But he lost again when Edward pushed him out the window. WAY TO GO, EDWARD!!!!!! And then, Kim went outside to the people of the suburb to say Edward was dead and she showed them all one of Edward's scissor hand's. Kim saved her lover's butt from those maniacs!

And coming to the end of the film, as Kim spoke when she told her grand daughter the story of Edward Scissor Hands. Back in the attic of the mansion; Edward was making ice sculptures. The never snowed on that so 50s town until Edward began to make ice sculptures.

Like what my old Drama teacher, Mrs. Roux would say:"What a stunning film!"
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
disappointing, I really wanted to like this movie
Netscape_Navigator10 July 2005
I really thought I would like this movie, I usually like interesting stories about alienated characters, but this was just too sentimental.

The movie's number one problem: the characters are too cliché. I know they wanted to go for a fairytale style story, but that doesn't mean the characters have to be 100% artificial. Couldn't they have done a bit more to minimize the feeling that we're watching mindless, one-dimensional caricatures simply existing for the sake of the movie? The characters have almost no depth at all. For example, why did Kim ever fall in love with Scissorhands? She never had a reason to, and the explanation given was not good enough. She went from almost being disgusted of him to... LOVING him? Not just being his friend, not finally accepting him for who he is, or even just his best friend, but loving him...romantically. That's completely absurd. She was initially disgusted by him, but it's after seeing him on TV and finding out that he would "do anything for her" that she begins loving him, I feel silly just typing that. I'll tell you why she fell in love, it's because the plot called for it.

In the end when Ed saves the kid from being hit by the van, that felt like a convenient scene to throw in to show Ed as a hero and to draw empathy, but it makes no sense at all. Why would The Dead Zone's Anthony Michael Hall keep driving full speed after seeing the boy in the street? Even if he was drunk he would've made some attempt to swerve after seeing his girlfriend's brother about to be hit, and you can't tell me he didn't see him. I honestly wanted to like this movie, it's sweet and lighthearted, but ultimately failed because there was too much in this movie that was contrived.
39 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.