Back to the Future Part III (1990) Poster

Underrated and unappreciated third sequel an epic time travel adventure
ivo-cobra82 March 2018
Underrated doesn't deserve the hate. Back to the Future Part III is so unappreciated. I keep hearing from people how bad this film is. Am I the only one who enjoyed this film? It is not a masterpiece like the first one is but it is a tied with the first one and it is a great sequel a great end to an excellent trilogy. Back to the Future is one of my all time favorite trilogy's of all time. I love the first film to death and it is a masterpiece and I love this (the third film) to death. Back to the Future Part III in my opinion it is tied with the first one and it is one of the best sequels of all time. It is my second favorite film in the trilogy in my opinion it is better than Part II I have enjoyed it more than Part II.

Michael J. Fox , Christopher Lloyd and Mary Steenburgen are excellent at acting I have enjoyed their performances. Robert Zemeckis writes and directs excellent this sequel. Alan Silvestri writes a beautiful score for third film which it was shot back to back with the second film. I Love the new score for this movie.

Back to the Future Part III (1990)

I love that this film was set in the Old West back in 1885. I love the rescue mission in which Marty goes back in time from the year 1955 back in to the past in to the Old West to save his best friend Doc Brown from getting killed by an outlaw Buford Tannen. I love western movies and Marty McFly was naming him self as Clint Eastwood in this film which it was brilliant. They even make similarity from A Fistful of Dollars (one of my all time favorite western films) in which Marty wears a boiler plate as a bullet proof vest in which Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson) shoots Marty. This movie has comedy, adventure, action, bank robbery, train robbery, gun fights, fist fights and one explosion. Great acting from the actors, great direction and great writing, great score. This movie shows group of Indians, followed closely by Cavalry men who are chasing them. Doc saves Marty just before he would be hang by Buford and his men.

I did like that the film was more focusing on Doc and Marty the characters that we care about. Rather then Loraine and Biff like Part II did. The movie wasn't dark like the second was. I love how Doc and Marty pushes the DeLorean along the spur line, on the tracks attempting to get it up to 88 miles per hour. DeLorean then reaches 88mph and disappears...with the locomotive barreling over the side of the ravine, and exploding in a huge fireball, brilliant and well done special effect. I love that the movie does not messes with the first two movies and it is an original film I appreciate that.

It is Rated PG for language, sensuality and violence. It is a perfect film from the 90's that I have grew up with it. It is my second favorite film in the trilogy I love, love this film to death and doesn't deserve the hate. 10/10 Score: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval a perfect score for me.
78 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Perfect Finale to a Wonderful Trilogy
OrigiN10 August 1999
As a loyal fan of the Back to the Future phenomenon, I long awaited a chance to publish my take on the series. It may be a bit surprising to some that I would choose to write my comments in the section specific to the last movie which has been considered to be the worst film of the trilogy.

For many years, in consideration of this one trilogy which served to inspire and excite me as to possibilities of the motion picture industry, I would look with a disappointment on BTTF Part Three, believing it to be an unwelcome, unexciting film which ended the legacy.

However, recently it came upon me to purchase the trilogy on VHS and re-experience it, as I had once did, though now from a more balanced perspective. I watched the first two Back to the Future movies avoided the third in the fear of being once again disappointed. Utter disappointment is no longer the feeling I can use to describe my take of the movie.

Back to the Future 3 is a well-written, well-directed, well-balanced piece. With an incredible musical score, brilliant acting and excellent composition, the movie reminded me that Back to the Future was never about action. It was truly about the characters we came to know and love in the first movie. It was a return to the basics, the friendship between Marty and Doc and how each was thrown through time to change not only the future of Hill Valley, but also their own lives and their future choices.

Robert Zemeckis' (the writer) decision to send the two friends back to 1885, in their final adventure, was brilliant. Imagery like the "famous Hill Valley courthouse under construction" and the "steam engine train wheeling up to the rear of the futuristic Delorean" was unforgettable. For example, the dancing at the Courthouse welcoming festivities contrasted with the action-laden scene (in BTTF2) between Griff and Marty at the same place just a century and a half later.

All in all, Back to the Future Part Three was a perfect ending to a perfect trilogy. To anyone who despises this film, I recommend another full watching. There are so many details which are kudos out to fans of the previous two movies. The movie successfully slowed the pace of the other two movies (in preparation for conclusion) without losing the loyalty of true fans. It captured the essence of what brought these fans to Back to the Future in the first place.

If you haven't seen it, rent and enjoy :) If you have seen it and wasn't particularly pleased, I beg another viewing.

L8r!
138 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Marty, Doc, Zemeckis, And Gale pay homage to the Old West
clydestuff23 March 2004
Having set a new standard in time travel films with Back To The Future and Back To The Future Part II, it was with eager anticipation that I looked forward to seeing if Robert Zemeckis could bring his trilogy to a satisfying conclusion. To conclude any trilogy in a successful manner some of the key ingredients you need are: 1. do something in your wrap up you haven't done before 2. keep the main characters true to what they have been previously 3. tie up all the loose threads and 4. give us a satisfying ending.

For this third outing in the series, Zemeckis takes us where we have yet to tread, that being 1885 Hill Valley. With Marty trapped once again in the year 1955, he enlists the 1955 Doc Brown to help him return home. As we know by now, things are never that simple when it comes to Marty and Doc. Marty has no magic ruby slippers to click together three times and say, "There's no place like home." It seems Doc ended up in the Old West, but hid the DeLorean in a cave for Marty to find some 70 years later so he may return home back to 1985 and destroy the time machine. After discovering that Doc met with some misfortune shortly after arriving in 1885 Hill Valley, Marty decides to travel back in time to rescue him.

While BTTFIII does not have the break neck frantic pace of Part II, it is a good film on its own. For the first time, Zemeckis slows things down a bit, making this third film straightforward, yet just as delightful in a lot of ways as the other films. The first thing he does is throw us a little change up. Zemeckis and Gale decide to center the complications of this third film around Doc Brown by having him fall unexpectedly in love with a school teacher by the name of Clara(Mary Steenburgen). In essence, Doc loses his head over a woman and loses his scientific reasoning in the process. It is left up to Marty to become the voice of reason when Doc begins to let his emotions rule his reactions. Yet, Marty seems as a amused as we are by the whole thing. This is one romance that could easily have been the downfall of this film, but thanks to the performances of Steenburgen and Christopher Lloyd, together they develop a chemistry that makes it all work and work to perfection. So by having the majority of the film take place in the old west, then introducing something to the plot we didn't expect, Zemeckis takes care of the first point I mentioned above.

There's also the matter of Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. The meanest, grimiest, filthiest, most ruthless outlaw to ever inhabit Hill Valley. If you liked Thomas F. Wilson's portrayals of Biff, you'll be amazed at his rambunctious portrayal of Mad Dog. He even somehow manages to top his villainous portrayals in the first two films which is not an easy task. So yes, all the characters from the first two films are here in some form or another, and though Doc Brown may be in love, he is still the Doc. This solidly takes care of my second point about keeping the characters true to what they have been before.

Zemeckis and Gale have been absolute geniuses in writing these films. In each film they have taken little pieces from the previous films and make them essential to what's happening. For instance, if you've seen the second part there is a short scene that is extremely relevant to what goes on in the finale. When originally viewing it in Part II, I'm sure you never gave it a second thought. When the pay off comes in this film, you can't help but chuckle and say, oh I see. As for my third point about tying up loose ends, they do that and tie up some things we didn't even know were loose ends.

In Part II, it was necessary for several of the actors to play different roles. This one is no different. Besides being Marty Mcfly, Fox also portrays his ancestor Shamus Mcfly, who is Irish, and again Fox shows his versatility as Lea Thompson does as his wife Maggie. Of course James Tolkan is back as Strickland and theres a couple of good jokes about his character that will surprise you...well at least one of them will surprise you the other will just leave you laughing. As if all this wasn't good enough, Zemeckis also gives us several old western character actors, Dub Taylor, Pat Buttram, and Harry Carey Jr. Another great touch thrown in just for the fun of it.

In reviewing the fist two parts of the trilogy, I failed to mention Alan Silvestri's terrific score. All three films owe a great deal of their success to it, and the fact that he was able to keep the same theme, yet do variations on it that perfectly fitted each film deserves as much credit as all the others responsible for making this film received.

So what about point 4, a satisfying ending? Of course, you'll have to see the film to find out for yourself. I can only say that when Part 3 was over I felt a certain amount of sadness that the trilogy had ended. Even now when I watch the three films, I wish there had been a fourth, and a fifth. This was not because the ending of the third film left me unsatisfied in anyway, quite the contrary in fact. It was because I would miss not only the films themselves, but most of all the rich detail and characterizations brought to life for us by a wonderful cast, director, writers and the rest of the crew responsible for enabling us to enjoy one of the most memorable series of films ever. And when you live in my memory forever, you get my grade. For Back To The Future Part III it's an A+. As for the trilogy, there is no grade high enough, no rating high enough, for me to give it the award it so richly deserves.
60 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The difficult third part in the trilogy
Superunknovvn3 April 2006
Even in the best franchises which proved that sequels can be just as good, if not better than the originals, the third parts are often fairly controversial. Look no further than to the third entries in "The Godfather" and "The Terminator" movies. "Back To The Future III" is no exception to that rule as it clearly is the weakest part in the trilogy, but it's still one hell of a great ride.

Writer/producer Bob Gale and writer/director Robert Zemeckis are two very clever men. They know the difficulties of sequels well. As Zemeckis explains somewhere on the "BTTF"-DVD set, the hardest part is to give the audience something new without moving too far away from the original's spirit. "Back To The Future II" achieved that goal gloriously (although Zemeckis who is very critical about his own work is always downsizing the greatness of it). Maybe the two Bobs went a bit too far away from what audiences loved about the original in part 3.

Although the movie is set mainly in the Wild West, it's still seen through the eyes of two people from the 80's. There are shootouts, horse chases and train robberies, but "Back To The Future III" is never a real Western. What makes this movie seem different from its predecessors is that fittingly it doesn't have a lot to do with teen culture anymore (save for a Michael Jackson-reference). Marty himself seems to have grown up quite a bit and you'll be surprised to see him behaving more focused on his mission than Doc in the latter half of the movie. This change of places by the characters was a deliberate decision by the writers and it does push the story and the relationship of Marty and Doc forward, but something about it just doesn't feel right.

It's intriguing to learn about the origins of Hill Valley and the ancestors of the McFly-clan. However, the earnest Seamus McFly and his family - that for some reason includes a woman looking like Marty's mother - seem strangely out of place in a BTTF-movie. They're just not quirky enough.

What makes the story seem even more estranged is the introduction of a new character, Clara Clayton, with whom Doc falls madly in love. Now, although we should all be happy for Doc having found his own private happiness, somehow we don't want him to behave like that. It's not Doc as we know and love him - and that's exactly the problem Robert Zemeckis was talking about. Marty and Doc used to be a team. Was anyone happy for John when Yoko got between him and The Beatles?

I still think "Back To The Future III" is an amazing accomplishment, a fine finale to one of the best trilogies ever made. You can't give enough praise to Zemeckis and Gale for not just making these movies for financial reasons but for actually trying to make them as good as possible. Personally, I love this movie to bits and I don't think it could have been realized any better. The only explanation I got for why this brilliant sequel got a lukewarm rating of 6.7 from IMDb users, is the dilemma Zemeckis himself was aware of, but couldn't fully avoid.

Fans who are still longing for a fourth part should keep that in mind and would be best advised to let it go. Zemeckis and Gale have said repeatedly that they don't plan on ever continuing the story. And why should they? Everything has been said, everything has been done. The movies are perfect the way they are. Let's be thankful there are still filmmakers that stick to their artistic conviction.
46 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just as incredible as the first two, Back To The Future III provides two hours of great fun.
Michael DeZubiria11 July 2000
Doc Brown and Marty McFly are back for another time travel adventure, and once again their exploits are great to watch. The film is well-written and directed, and all of the actors involved delivered spectacular performances once again. There could not have been a sharper contrast between the last Back To The Future and this one (we go from the neon colored future of flying cars and 3D movies to the old dirty west with its overflowing spittoons and gunfighting), yet the story holds together strongly and keeps the attention of the audience from start to finish.

The old west was portrayed beautifully, although maybe a bit crudely and stereotypically, and the way that the town of Hill Valley was transformed for all three films is one of the biggest highlights of the series as a whole. In Back To The Future III, the challenges that face Doc and Marty are ingenius, and a solution to their problems is extremely difficult to think of, which makes it that much more fun to watch the film.

Back To The Future III is an excellent way to have ended the trilogy, which as a whole is among the best trilogies ever made. What other group of movies follows the same characters through their adventures which take place in three different centuries? Clearly, Back To The Future III deserves a lot of respect, as do the previous two films. They are all a huge amount of fun to watch, and the films can be enjoyed by people of all ages, which is a quality that few films possess.If you haven't seen these films, go out and get them, and if you have seen them, you may want to go out and watch them again.
92 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"There's a man who can't hold his liquor."
DarthBill20 April 2004
Picking up where #2 left off, Marty is stuck in 1955 again and has to explain to the 1955 Doc why he's back and uses a letter Doc sends him from 1885 to explain what happened. After fixing up the time machine (hidden in a from 1885 cave), they find out that Doc is murdered in the past by Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen (played by Thomas F. Wilson) "over a matter of $80 dollars." So Marty decides to go back and rescue Doc before the murder can occur, but he is bedeviled by a rip in the fuel line - meaning they have to find another way to get the time machine to hit 88 miles per hour - and Doc falling in love with school teacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen). Along the way, he gets advice both from Doc and his 1885 ancestor Seamus McFly (also played by Michael J. Fox) that he should really learn to control his temper.

Fox and Lloyd are fun to watch as always, and I give my hat off to the studio for hiring Mary Steenburgen as Doc's love interest and not some super model type; it's more fitting of who Doc is. Wilson's Biff Tannen officially became a traditional "villain" in #2 with him murdering George McFly, and now Wilson plays an even bigger villain in Buford Tannen, whom he makes both funny and menacing.

Ironically, Wilson is said to be a very nice man in real life. Leah Thompson makes the most of a thankless dual role as both Lorraine McFly and Marty's great, great grandmother Maggie McFly, and James Tolkan plays his Principal character's soft spoken law man ancestor (killed in a deleted scene by Buford Tannen; "Remember son... discipline.")

It should be noted that originally there were no sequels planned with the first movie; that bit with Doc taking Marty and Jennifer to the future to help their kids was just another gag. But the film was such a hit that the studio couldn't NOT do sequels, so this one and part 2 were filmed back to back, which is becoming more of a craze these days.

Although on the surface it's a lighthearted comedy about time travel, it's also about what it means to be a man. The first film defined being a man through violently standing up to your tormentors, while this film and #2 go with the theme that being a man also means you have to reign yourself in when people start annoying you. Marty' willingness to fight back was his strength in the first film but here it is his flaw, as people in both 2015, 1955 and 1885 continually get his goat. The message of self-control is bluntly stated when Doc says to Marty "You can' t keep going off the handle every time someone calls you a name, that's why you get into that accident in the future!" (referring of course to the car accident mentioned in part 2). It is not until Marty realizes his error when he's about to meet Buford in the gun fight that he achieves this ideal and, much to Seamus's glee, says of Buford and the opinions surrounding him "He's an asshole! I don't care what Tannen says, and I don't care what anyone else says either!" Because of this, he is able to avoid said accident.

Also loaded with gags, references to other great westerns ("My name is Clint Eastwood.") and Doc's response to being asked if his hijacking the train is a hold up: "It's a science experiment!"
59 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Robert Zemeckis' Back To The Future rocks !
Celia Veychard15 March 2012
When I first saw Back To The Future part 2, I was really looking forward to see the third part because it's the exact sequel of the second. In fact, Back To The Future part 2 has no end in itself. You have to see the last part of the trilogy to know the end of the adventure. That's why I saw the third part just after the second =D.

In this movie the main character, the young Marty McFly (Michael J.Fox), has to go back to 1885 in order to find his long-time friend and eminent scientist Emmett Brown. Doc has been accidentally sent to the old Far West at the end of the second movie and this film tells Marty's journey to find his friend and go back to the present.

I am really fond of the first two movies so I had a little apprehension about this one. I was afraid I might be bored or disappointed. But this is a really good film too. The universe is kind of different because the action takes place a century before so it isn't boring at all. Moreover, even if the characters are involved in a cowboys story, they're still themselves and I am still crazy about them. They fit perfectly in their role and, as in the other movies, Marty meets some people of his family. He meets some bad guys too, and the worst is part of Biff Tannen's family, as usual.

My favorite scene happens at the end, just before Marty and Doc finally go back home. They really are in trouble because Buff Tannen, Biff's ancestor, wants to shoot them and Marty uses a trick he learned in the previous movie. I like this sort of links between the parts of the trilogy very much.

I really love this movie and I would recommend it to anyone who saw the first ones. Not only is the plot as good and funny as usual, but there has been a really good effort in the camera-work to make the film look like a classic western.

This is really a cult movie in the Sci-Fi world and in my opinion, it's a shame there haven't been other sequels. There's never too much Back To The Future and you never get enough !
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lives up to the original
David13 April 2003
I agree that most of the time sequels to great movies are no good. Get to the third installment and it's become a joke. One of the lone exceptions to this rule is Back to the Future Part III. It's just a perfect movie. Entertaining, intelligent, and funny it is a hoot for fans of the first movie. Back to the Future is one franchise where all three movies are worthy of your attention.
39 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Conclusion Of A Trilogy That Is Sheer Fun, Excitement & Energy
Chrysanthepop31 July 2008
Marty and doc are back, but in another time. They go to the West in 1885 in order to save Doc's life and from then on the Western adventure takes place. It's a pity that so many people disliked the third movie because, in my humble opinion, it's a great finale to this fantastic trilogy. It is very well written with rich characters and clever dialogues. This third part does differ in the sense that it's set in the West and has less of the futuristic gadgets and gizmos (obviously, since it's not set in the distant future but you'll still see a few including a time-travelling freight train) but it still retains the same energy, a different kind of action and it pays a nice homage to Western classics. Fox and Lloyd continue their roles of the teen hero and the crazy doctor (and it never gets old) but this time there's a new female lead. Mary Steenburgen delivers a hilariously wonderful performance as the ditsy Clara. She and Lloyd are funny and sweet together. Clara is the perfect lady for Doc and Steenburgen fits the part like a glove. This time, Lea Thompson appears as an Irish settler. Zemeckis has brilliantly picked up from where the second one ended. The film ends on a delightful note and I would have liked to see more 'Back to The Future' movies. But, I'm still very pleased with the way it is. There have been only very few trilogies that have impressed me overall. My list includes names like Ray's 'Apu Trilogy' and Coppola's 'Godfather' trilogy and of course Zemeckis's 'Back To The Future' movies.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must see!
harrypotter4eva17 August 2000
I think this movie makes a great end for the Back To The Future trilogy. I didn't think that I would like it much because it was about the old west, but I loved it! Michael J. Fox shows off his talents again, by playing Marty McFly, and his old relative in the west. The only part I didn't like was the ending. I'd really like to find out what happens to all the characters years later. But overall, an awesome film!
49 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most fun of the three.
Ben Parker21 May 2004
Part III, the wild west entry, is probably the most fun. The original has just such a fantastic premise that creates a sense of urgency about seeing it out till the end, but there is something uncomfortable about your mother having a crush on you that leaves a bad taste in the mouth during Part I. The premise of Part III is this: in 1955, Doc learns that he will eventually travel back to 1885 to live out his days as a blacksmith, but then Copernicus, Doc's 1955 dog, stumbles upon a gravestone that tells Doc and Marty that Doc will be shot to death by Buford Tannen over a matter of 80 dollars. Naturally, Marty says he will travel back to 1885 and get Doc and bring him back to the future with him (though it couldn't be 1955, because there's already one Doc there).

There are time-jumping laws that are not obeyed by the scriptwriters here, and much worse than in the second film, but this one's so well concentrated and so much the better movie that they hardly matter. It has a climax involving a train that rivals the clocktower climax of the first one. A fantastic scene.

Thomas F Wilson, the perennial bad guy of these movies, who started off as Biff Tannen in the original, played Griff Tannen in the second one, throws himself into a Yosemite Sam part as Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen in the third. Mary Steenbergen, in one of her few leading roles, is a nice addition to the cast. She fits right into the wild west world, as the dainty schoolteacher who plays "his beloved Clara" to the Doc.

Like the others, its larger-than-life tone, with the over-blown time-travel dialogue and melodramatic highs and lows, render it into a kind of live-action cartoon. Kids will enjoy Part III the most, but it is so good-natured that adults should have fun with it too. Out of the three, this is the one that you'll be able to put on any time and feel good. Great, harmless fun.
36 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great conclusion to Back to the Future series!
OllieSuave-0076 September 2015
The second and final sequel to one of the most iconic movies in cinematic history closes the series out with a bang, where Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) journeys to the year 1885 to save Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown (Christopher Lloyd) from a fatal duel with Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson). This is also Marty's last chance to travel back to his own time with no more time interference.

The special effects team really did an awesome job in making the time travel elements seem spectacular but realistic-looking, especially the DeLorean, and the cinematography of the Old Wild West was detailed and captures the 1800s feel very well.

Just like the first two movies, the direction by Robert Zemeckis was well-paced from start to finish, making the film intriguing throughout, from Marty meeting his ancestors in the old west to Doc meeting schoolteacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen). Their sudden love-at-first-sight attraction complicates the travel travel plans of Marty, adding suspense to the film. And, Marty skirmishing with Tanner is just entertaining to watch.

Spot-on acting by Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Mary Steenbrugen, Thomas F. Wilson and Lea Thompson. They all made the film engaging and I especially liked their portrayals of old wild west people. The romantic subplot slows the story's pacing down a bit, but the race against time plot makes this sequel another edge-of-your-seat experience and is a great conclusion to the Back to the Future series.

Grade A-
Third TIME's a Charm!!!
geminiredblue24 November 2014
(Spoiler Alert!) At the end of PART II, Marty's trapped back in 1955. Doc is trapped back in 1885. Young Doc is frantic and confused that Marty is still in the past. Through a letter, older Doc sends word to Marty about where to find and how to repair the time machine. Upon learning that older Doc is destined to die at the hands of a gunman, Marty decides to take one last trip in the Delorean. FLASH! In 1885, he comes across his relatives (but hides that fact by calling himself Clint Eastwood), runs a-foul of some gunmen led by Mad Dog Tannen, and eventually tracks down Doc. Now, they have to find a way back to 1985. But... There's a lot of story crammed into this one. Almost rivaling the complex plot of PART II. In this one, the focus is more on Doc as the main character. Though he's trying hard to leave the past alone, he falls in love with Clara, a schoolmarm. Which is tearing him apart: Should he stay or should he go? (Why doesn't he just bring Clara along?) We also get to see some of his ingenious inventions, including a gigantic fridge. Some viewers have come to consider this the weakest entry, but I disagree. Of the entire series, this one focuses most on the relationship between the various characters. It's a film with heart. And it has the coolest finale of all! So what are you waiting for? YEE-HAW, GO AND SEE IT!!!
As much fun as you can have in the Old West - 90%
Benjamin Cox9 November 2014
There's a reason why I left the final part of the trilogy to be reviewed, other than watching the series chronologically. There are a small number of films that I hold dear to my heart, regardless of their flaws and plot-holes - something Part 3 has in abundance. The reasons why I can forgive in this case and not in so many others is, quite simply, this is one of the most fun films I've ever seen and remains so. It may feel as artificial and sanitised as a boy band cover version. It might not even make much sense, especially if the complicated middle film left you behind. But it's what used to be called a ripping yarn, full of danger and romance, excitement and humour. It's the most complete of the three and the most enjoyable and I'll always wish I could write a movie like this.

Having received the Doc's letter at the end of Part 2, Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) returns to the 1955 version of Doctor Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) who's still celebrating sending Marty back in the first place. Upon discovering that the Doc is shot and killed by one of Biff's ancestors, Mad Dog Tannen (Thomas F Wilson) in 1885 - a few days after sending Marty his letter - Marty decides to ignore the Doc's wishes to be left alone and heads back to 1885 to try and save the Doc. Except things get complicated, naturally - the DeLorean's fuel runs dry, meaning it can't get to the magic 88 mph to time-travel. Not only that but the Doc has fallen hard for newly-arrived teacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen) and Mad Dog decides that if he can't kill the Doc then he'll settle for Marty instead...

I've criticised other sequels for recycling material and jokes from their predecessors and "Back To The Future: Part 3" is also guilty of this. The same situations, the same scenarios and the same conclusions. But fittingly for a time-travelling adventure, it's not so much about the destination but the journey and the movie offers a riotous combination of western, comedy, sci-fi and love story in equal measures. Forget trying to follow the plot intricacies and inconsistencies because none of it will make much sense. Stop trying to pick apart the performances because Fox & Lloyd still make a great team, even if Steenburgen hasn't as much to do as the boys. Personally, I'd make Wilson the MVP - his bad-ass bandito routine feels much more threatening than the various incarnations of Biff we've known over the years. The setting is also flawless, even if it's the opposite of the likes of "Deadwood". Every dollar of the film's budget is on screen and every cent of it is geared towards providing the audience with a pleasingly straight-up story that manages to converge on several points in time and wrap the series up in fine fashion.

If you wanted to mark the film down as being barely coherent, repetitive and not as intelligent as the two first films then go ahead. But for me, none of these things prevent "Back To The Future: Part 3" from being a hugely enjoyable experience and my favourite of the three. In fact, the only thing I didn't like was the very ending which contradicted everything we'd expect from the Doc and didn't feel even remotely plausible - which is some achievement in a movie about time travel! At the end of the day, a film should always try to entertain at the very least. It might inform, educate, scare or inspire but it should always entertain and happily, "Back To The Future: Part 3" is an undeniable success in this department. It's not clever or as tight as its two parent films but it remains a shining jewel of a movie, the last dying light from an Eighties phenomenon. If you can find the series on Blu-Ray then I implore you to track it down because you and your family will enjoy them for years to come. And if you've seen them before, it pays to revisit because these films are much better than you may remember.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Back to the Old West ... Back to the Roots ... Back to the Future ...
ElMaruecan829 October 2011
And here comes the conclusion of one of the finest and most likable cinematic trilogies: "Back to the Future Part III", more than a sequel, a resourcing in the spirit that made the first film such an endearing classic, with an even more escapist value in the setting, the Far West during the 1880's. As a Sci-Fi Family Romantic Comedy, "Back to the Future Part III" is already a winner, but the Western is the defining aspect of its originality.

"Back to the Future Part III" was directly made after the second, basically recycling the same material, and using the same team, the same casting etc. The continuity between the two films is so determining that there's no way watching the second without getting immediately to the third, it's like keeping in touch with the same family. Indeed, as much as I can watch the first one alone, because it's a class on its own and a film I consider slightly independent from the two sequels, on the other hand, I consider the sequels too connected to each other not to be seen in a row. This continuity helps to appreciate the second part that feels more like a link between the two other films while "Part III" resurrects the spirit of the first one by focusing on the emotionality rather than the eternal "back to the future" mission.

This has always been Marty's preoccupation and the thrust of the trilogy but the travels also had the merit to solve some familial issues and help a beloved character to improve something in his life, if anything, the trilogy defines the notion of 'coming-of-age' as the inspirational aspect of the film, its encouragement for success through self-improvement. But since people were facing less materialistic issues than during the 80's, I guess there was a need to take some distance from these so-called philosophies of successes and a huge step back one century earlier when the 80's followed the Secession War and preceded the Industrial Revolution that would lead to demise of the frontier spirit. The Far West is less a setting or an era, than a state of mind, embodying the roots of the American spirit in its purest form, before greed and profit perverted its meaning. The Far West setting perfectly fitted the tormenting desire of Doc Emmett Brown for retirement and a tacit existential quest for love.

Consequently, while the central character of the first film was George McFly and the second part focused on the McFly Family, Gale and Zemeckis took the last film as a great opportunity to enrich the character of Doc Brown and close his story's arc through a love story in order to replace the "mad scientist" label by a necessary element of three-dimensionality. On the surface, Marty's mission is to prevent Brown from being killed by the villain who –for our greatest delight- is Biff's ancestor, Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen, but while Marty and Doc try to find a solution to push the DeLorean to 88 mph, destiny puts them in Clara's path. So Doc meets Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen), a teacher whose fate was to fall in the Shonash ravine canyon and give it a posthumous name.

At that point of the trilogy, we're all aware of the time travels' mechanisms, we can even be surprised by Marty's incapability "to reason fourth-dimensionally", who he traveled so much. But here, the film invites us to put all the scientific stuff into perspective and think of the real elements that predefine our fates. There's a strong philosophical material hidden behind the love story as the film concludes its approach on time travels with the idea that nothing is written except by our free will and our capacity not to let external elements direct our lives. But I may make the film sound too intellectual when it's also a great comedy and one hell of a western.

The film is the opportunity to rediscover and say goodbye to the wonderful characters of Hill Valley, to see the first McFlys in American land, to witness the inauguration of the clock tower which, as Doc said, was fitting that he and Marty could witness, not to mention Marty pretending to be named Clint Eastwood, at the risk of tarnishing this name by becoming the biggest yellow belly in the Old West. And the delight on the comedic level is in the way the humor works on a meta-referential level as if the film was breaking an imperceptible fourth wall, playing on its own trademarks. I can't resist to the scene where Marty, realizing that he might be killed instead of Doc utters a "Great Scott" followed by Doc's comment "I know this is heavy", when Marty wonders why they always have to "cut these things so damn close" or when, in the most dramatic situations, he reacts by an ironic 'perfect'.

And speaking of dramatic, the film also provides great thrilling moments you'd expect from a Western, and probably the most heart-pounding climax from the trilogy with the train sequence, so suspenseful, I remember I had to pause for seconds the first time I watched it. This was one of the few times, I needed to take a break because it was just too suspenseful, but what a fitting and rewarding conclusion. Action, escapism, duels, stage, rides, Indians, cavalry, "Back to the Future Part III" is also an independent homage to the Western genre with some exhilarating moments, served by Alan Silvestri's terrific score, probably his best work in the trilogy.

And this is why I consider "Back to the Future" as the greatest trilogy after "The Godfather" with a slight advantage that remains the consistency in terms of spirit, thrills, laughs and emotional value. So thank you Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and all the team for these three unforgettable classics!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fantastic end to a brilliant trilogy
alindsay-al29 March 2016
I have finally finished rewatching the back to the future trilogy and this is a fantastic finish to the trilogy. After the events of the previous film the doc travels back in time to 1885. He leaves a letter for marty who decides to go back and save the doc. Michael j fox is back as marty mcfly and he is back with the same charm and charisma that he showed us in the previous films. He truly fits in the wild west and the character really goes out on a high. However, the most interesting character in this film is doc brown played by christopher lloyd. His character is really given depth in this film and he combines his romance with the quirky fun moments that have made him such a beloved character. Mary steenburgen is the new love interest for doc and they have great chemistry together. Thomas f Wilson is back but this time as the cowboy mad dog tannen and he is a fun villain for this film. The story has some good drama involved with the romance and the new setting really helps. However, my only complaint for this film is the lack of imagination in the story. Some of the characters feel forced in and the situations aren't as imaginative as the previous films. The script is great, it once again combines humour and drama really well to flesh out these characters. The style is great with allot of fun in the action scenes that makes this film flow really well. Overall this is a fantastic third instalment that should definitely be seen along with the other back to the future films.
From one to three
crash216 August 2015
I call The Back to the Future movies a trilogy set that was something a lot like the original "Star Wars" movies, and they made "Back to the Future Part III" a great part in all of this. "Back to the Future Part III" was practically an old-west situation with a good amount of science-fiction and humor through the whole thing.

Through all of this, you're expecting to see someone get shot and killed in the old west, yet Marty is constantly beating the bad guys. I especially like the ending in the old-west, where Marty has everyone thinking he has been shot and killed by Biff Tannen, then he gets up and simply beats him up having him unconscious, disgusted, and even inadvertently helps with Tannen's arrest. This is a dream for nearly everyone to do to a bully at some point.

Watch the whole set of "Back to the Future" movies side by side and you will find all of them, fun and amusing.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So Good It Stands on it's own! Great Comic Western!
mike4812821 June 2015
This movie stands on its own without Parts I or II. One of the greatest sequels ever! Doc invents several gadgets in 1885 that are both the implausible and impossible. Mary Steenburgen injects a great deal of energy into the film as the "schoolmarm" and "sweetheart" of Doc Brown. Her stunt woman-double can really ride that horse! Thomas Wilson also "runs away with the movie" as stupid villain Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen and shows that he can really act! Everything works here: Great sets, decoration, costumes, Marty's Irish ancestors. Lea Thompson (again) is fantastic. Real old-time Western actors in the saloon! "Doc" as the reluctant "sober" drunk! The changing tombstone picture! A winner all the way! "Mad Dog" commits very little serious violence and the movie is far better because of it! The "running gag" of the manure dump! The "riveting" Clint Eastwood "gag" of the metal stove-plate that saves Marty's life! The almost-mandatory "gunfight in the street"! The train scenes work seamlessly from beginning to end. The train-wreak and bridge-tracks are all opticals and miniatures. The ending is a real train-wreak as Marty barely misses being run over by a modern-day train when he gets back to 1985 and Doc appears from the past (with the whole family and "Einstein the Dog") on the most futuristic steam locomotive imaginable! One of our favorite Saturday afternoon movies. Actually better than Part I, but I don't have "11" stars!
Provides Utter Joy At Present Just Like When It Was Initially Released
Desertman8424 October 2012
The final installment in the Back to the Future trilogy picks up where the second film left off, but it casts off the dizzying time travel of the first two films for mostly routine comedy set in the Old West.This science fiction comedy was directed by Robert Zemeckis and starred Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Mary Steenburgen, Thomas F. Wilson, and Lea Thompson. It takes place immediately after the events of Back to the Future Part II. While stranded in 1955, Marty McFly discovers that his friend Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown was killed by Biff Tannen's great- grandfather Buford. Marty decides to travel to 1885 to rescue Doc and return to his own time line.

In the movie,Marty McFly receives a 70-year-old letter from his inventor friend, Doc Brown, who tells Marty that he has retreated a century in time to live out a relatively quiet life in the Old West. Doc Brown reveals that he hid his DeLorean car/time machine in an abandoned mine outside town, and when Marty does some research and discovers that the Doc died shortly after writing the letter, he decides to find the car, travel back in time, and warn the Doc about his demise. Meanwhile, the Doc, who has fallen in love with a local woman, realizes he can't hide in the past from the problems he has caused to the time flow in the previous two adventures. He reluctantly decides to return to the present with Marty, but first, they have to find a way to get the DeLorean up to time-travel velocity with a broken fuel line and no gasoline.

The simplicity of plot, and the wide expansiveness of its use of space, are a refreshing change from the convoluted, visually cramped and cluttered second part.Also,this is a good deal more likable because the product plugs have been held back, and Zemeckis is clearly having fun alluding to his favorite westerns; there's also a certain sweetness and charm in the Lloyd-Steenburgen romance.In addition to that,it avoids many of the previous sequel's narrative and logical pitfalls and reengages more successfully with the simple, direct pleasures that made the first film such a hit. It was an utter joy in 1990 when it was released and again when the viewer watches it at present.
Part 3-I'm afraid there's not enough room in this De Lauren for the two of us
Kristine1 December 2006
Well, I just finished the Back to the Future trilogy and all I have to say is that I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that I finally had the opportunity to see these films. Without a doubt, the first was my favorite, the second was my second favorite, and the third worked, but it didn't work as well as the other two movies. Part three worked the same formulas from the first and second, but some of the situations just seemed a tad too unrealistic.

Marty and The Doc are now in the Wild Wild West way back in 1885, and as you know the tools are not quite advanced as they are in 1985, so they have to figure out the best they can on how to get back to the future. But Doc falls in love with a woman he saves from going over a cliff, Clara, and Marty has been challenged by Mad Dog, or Biff in a different generation, to a duel. This is a major problem since Marty found a tombstone in the future with a possibility of having either his or Doc's name on it.

Well, I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to see these Back to the Future films, because they were good movies. I have to say that I was wrong, I tried to stay away from these films, I'll admit, because it just seemed so hokey and not my type of movie, but I think that's a major problem we all need to work on and not be so judgmental before we typecast a movie that we think we won't like because we might end up with little treasures.

31 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
perfect last chapter
Kirpianuscus29 August 2016
the past has new aspect. and this fact is real seductive. because it is a special homage to the westerns and, in same measure, perfect scene for a nice, amusing and charming love story. the old clichés of a classic genre are reinvented. the atmosphere of saloon, the malefactor, the innocent , the old maid and the hero , the sheriff and the friendship, the roots of the great Marty McFly who, from Calvin to Clint does a long travel , the energy and the humor and ZZ Top as the ideal spice , all as bricks of the most inspired final chapter of a series who remains memorable for its public. Robert Zemeckis , in the case of Back to the Future has the gift to be more than model of Emmett Brown because, after 25 years from its final shot, after 31 years after its born, the series remains the most comfortable and fast time machine.
Why Did It End?
Hollywood_Yoda14 August 2016
Why?

The question we all asked when the last scene was over, and before the end credits, when it said "the end." It is true that the stories of Doc Brown and Marty McFly didn't necessarily end (as they continued in animated form and a Universal Studio ride), but I think we all hoped for Back to the Future 4.

The western themed Back to the Future 3 was pretty great. Not only does Marty use Clint Eastwoods name as his persona (Which tickled Clint). But celebrated western character actors had small roles as well, like Dub Taylor, Pat Buttram and Harry Carey Jr.

The end of the greatest franchise in cinema history, in my opinion.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No one's future is written for them
oOoBarracuda14 January 2016
Sitting back to watch the final, for now, entry in the Back to the Future trilogy, I was a little disheartened. I had a lot of fun with this series, and was sad not to be traveling through the dimensions of time with Marty and Doc Brown for the last time. But alas, all good things must come to an end, and of course, I can always rent the DVD, or perhaps even add any of them to my own collection. Back to the Future Part III, didn't simply "phone it in" for its' final act, it provided a complete compilation to its time travel exploits.

This story picks up where the second left off; with Marty (Michael J. Fox) acting on a letter he received from Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd). At the conclusion of Back to the Future Part II, the DeLorean is struck by lightning, with Doc inside, and he is transported all the way back to 1885, in the old west. Since Doc had always dreamed of living in the Wild West, he was not severely disappointed to be stuck in the 1800's, and he certainly was stuck because it would be 70 or so years before the replacement parts he needed to repair the DeLorean would exist. He writes Marty a letter explaining to him what he is up to and that he is fine and should be left in 1885. Soon after receiving the letter, however, Marty uncovers that Doc Brown is about to die. Unwilling to leave him to that fate, Marty ignores all risks, intent on traveling to 1885, to find Doc Brown. This would prove impossible without a trip back to 1955, to get some help from the Doc Brown of the past. Marty's crash landing in 1885 creates quite a conundrum, however, as a fuel line breaks causing all of the gas to leak out of the DeLorean. Doc reminds him that gas hasn't been invented yet, and they will have to be innovative to find a way to power the DeLorean to the necessary 88 M.P.H. needed to travel through time. After devising a plan to power the DeLorean by locomotive power, a new distraction, of a feminine nature arrives. A Ms. Clara Clayton greets Doc Brown, and he is instantly smitten by her. Doc even vows to stay in the past with Clara after helping Marty fix the DeLorean. Our Heroes situation is made even more difficult because Marty, in typical McFly fashion refuses to be called "chicken", or "yellow" in 1885 terms. After an altercation with Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson), Marty gains the attention of the gun that he discovered was to kill Doc. In the final installment of Robert Zemeckis beloved time traveling adventure, out duo is outrunning a gun, deciding between love and fate, and learning that the words of others should only ever be words rather than a reflection of ourselves; a pleasing finale to the Back to the Future series.

Once again, the brilliant on-screen chemistry of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd bring Back to the Future Part III to life. Years working together on the same franchise were nothing to dilute the pair's on-screen chemistry. Still as engaging as ever, it was pure joy to watch Marty and Doc on screen again, one last time. This film also kept the heart in to the movie. Each entry in this trilogy has heart at the center, no pun intended. It was endearing to see our zany Doc Brown fall in love, even if he did wish to pick his new love over traveling with Marty.

I would recommend Back to the Future Part III to almost anyone. Rated PG, it is appropriate and engaging for all ages. Fans of the trilogy have to see it, as it wraps up all of our favorite's story lines. Anyone who believes in the power of love, time, and destiny will feel empowered by the message. I'm not sure what type of viewer Couldn't find something to appreciate about Back to the Future Part III, and to me, that's exactly how a franchise should end; pleasing the one time viewer and the series fanatic alike.