Seinfeld (TV Series 1989–1998) Poster

(1989–1998)

Seinfeld, a cultural landmark?
sdfrsdfr26 December 2004
I caught a few episodes of Seinfeld over it's final two seasons run on public channel, and made it a point to catch a lot more of Jerry and friends during it's reruns. I found it very amusing on first viewings, but as time wore on, I began to like it more and more, and to eagerly borrow taped episodes from friends, and to hunt for re-runs on syndicated channels.

Of the two comedy TV series in the history of television, I would choose both Seinfeld and Monty Python as the cultural landmarks of the medium. In Seinfeld, there is not a trace of sentimentality and glib moralizing that plagues the American sitcom genre. Characters do not hug each other on Christmas, fall in love, wax on and on about family and friends, there is no faux-cathartic season ender so favoured by the writers of, say, "Friends".

Instead, we have the narcissistic Jerry, constantly mining the minutiae of everyday detail for every bit of situational comedy; we have the hyper-aggressive Elaine, whose strings of breakups with boyfriends are as impressive as her petty neuroses leading up to the breakups themselves; the ultimate schlub-loser George, who lies to every single woman he dates, sells faulty equipment to the handicapped and muscles off women and children when fleeing an apartment fire; and the impossibly inventive physical comedy of the entrepreneur cum schmooze Kramer.

Over and over again, week in and week out, the quartet discuss trivialities with unbridled zeal, as the non-descript narrative pings from one mundane setting to another. Seldom has such wit been generated by such gargantually pointless human endeavours. That is where the brilliance of Seinfeld lies, in the ability to go to the most bizarre ends to fulfill the potential of a less than hopeful comedic premise; and the endless, pointlessly smug and nihilistic banter that almost invariably escalates into some of TV's classic lines, such as when George shouts triumphantly after winning an argument that "there is no bigger loser than me!".

Surely, we won't find something like this again, for many more years to come.
383 out of 426 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best show ever
Jerry Brown (jp88)17 January 2005
It has ended 6 years ago and we still talk about it, i think that this shows us how fantastic this series was. There are some new programmes that are good, but any of them is half as interesting as Seinfeld was. Many of its episodes are really comedy masterpieces. After watching one of them you become an addict. The characters are fantastic, the actors performed so well that you can't think of them like anything but the character they played, maybe this is the reason because they couldn't success in other shows. The writers who could do 8 seasons of a "show about nothing" doing each episode funnier than the last one deserves our respect and admiration. To sum up, Seinfeld rules
330 out of 389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jerry Seinfeld Super Jew
drednm11 August 2005
Seinfeld is the funniest TV show in history. Built around the day-to-day life of a New York comedian, Seinfeld managed to spear every sacred cow in sight. The irreverence of the show's four main characters never let up over 9 glorious seasons. The "gang of four" were petty, childish, surly, selfish, compulsive, obsessive, and totally hilarious… like 4 children in adults' bodies.

Jerry Seinfeld played himself and surrounded himself with an ex-girlfriend (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), a childhood friend (Jason Alexander), and a neighbor (Michael Richards). Foour terrific actors with incredible chemistry among them, the four careened through 9 seasons of total mayhem. Sex, religion, politics, old age, political correctness, race, relationships, homosexuality, Los Angeles…. you name it, they harpooned it.

Great supporting cast over the years included Jerry Stiller, Estelle Harris, Barney Martin, Liz Sheridan, Wayne Knight, Patrick Warburton, John O'Hurley, Len Lesser, and others.

Seinfeld probably added more catch phrases to the English language than any other show in TV history. Brilliant writing that found humor in WORDS (such a concept) as well as SITUATION, Seinfeld owed much to the writing of Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David and others. So with great scripts, a perfect cast, and no respect for anything, Seinfeld marched along to his own drum and made us all captives of its brilliant wit.

One of the great things about Seinfeld was that you could see a little bit of yourself in each of the 4 zany characters. And you could ALWAYS recognize the dumb situations they found themselves in. Just brilliant!

And let's not forget that Jerry Seinfeld became the first Jewish Everyman on TV. He was everything from comic to sex symbol and everything in between.
188 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Written Sitcom Ever
alexkolokotronis21 April 2008
I hate saying something is the best ever. Still how could you go wrong with Seinfeld. Just hilarious characters and setups everywhere.

For everyone who has seen this show, what other show or even movie deliver so many open ended endings that still felt like a perfecting closing. That right there is great writing.

The characters are another great example of great writing. To think of people like Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer. These characters were developed so greatly that the ideas for episodes were endless. Also the guest stars did a great job in their appearances just sliding right in.

The plots of the episodes were not that great from the outlook. If you actually watch the episodes though the most basic daily problem could be made into a very enjoyable episode.

This can only be done with great, superb writing. If you have seen this show watch it.
101 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The last and greatest juggernaut of comedy.
slumberland8 September 2003
I cannot, through any stretch of my imagination, grasp how anyone can't find the humor in this series. Perhaps they have succumb to a similar problem I have in writing this review. I find that I cannot accurately describe just why exactly this sitcom should be held so far above the others. It's Kramer's awkward movements and border-line insanity; it's Jerry and Elaine's never-rekindled romance; it's George's terrible luck and inadequacy issues; it's all of those and so much more. I do find, however, that the show can be described with one word: irreplaceable.

"Friends"? Have you ever noticed that in "Friends" commercials, not even they, the reigning kings and queens of sitcoms, dare tread on the title of "funniest show ever"? Just watch the next commercial you see, and you'll find "the funniest (running) show on television!" I don't know if I would call that perfectly accurate, but it proves my point. Seinfeld was groundbreaking, and it went to places that few comedies (or dramas, for that matter) have since gone, and nothing before nor since has in quite the same way equaled it.

I notice a reoccurring complaint of negative reviews on this site: the opening and occasional ending of Jerry Seinfeld doing standup. I admit, it isn't the funniest thing that I've ever heard, though he is by far the best "have you ever noticed" comedian, but give me a break! That is your complaint? At least some other reviewers go on about characters, and the implausible plotlines (not that I agree in the least with them), but just that reason alone? You obviously don't have the intelligence to grasp the humor of the series, content only with the easy-to-understand slapstick of today's comedy; but nonetheless, in your blatant stupidity, you cannot grasp why it ISN'T funny, either -- so you pick the standup.

Nice.

In any case, despite the negative reviews or even the positive, Seinfeld stands the test of time, and is the greatest sitcom ever made. Even TV Guide's compiled list of the "greatest television series' of all time," not at all exclusive to comedy (20/20, I believe, made the list), put Seinfeld right where it belongs: NUMBER ONE.

The last and greatest juggernaut of comedy, I know I'll be watching the untiring reruns that never seem to get old when I'm old and gray and long since committed to a retirement home.

And do you know what?

The intelligent viewers of humanity's next generation will be doing the same thing.
332 out of 432 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Absolutely Love It.
shrek200425 July 2003
This show was totally unique. Nothing has been done like it before, or since (with the possible exception of the Simpsons, which does mimic some of the "nothing" plots a little). While it was about nothing, it was really about everything--but the little things that no one thinks about, like giving your bank code to your fiancé. I also liked how this show was the last of the "non-fashion" shows.

You always saw Kramer wear the same ridiculous jacket, pants, and shirt. George always had those too-small plaid shirts and even Jerry had the black-and-gray striped shirt we saw him wear in the one where he and George make "The Pact". Even Elaine had many of the same clothes, even after her "make-over". I mean, I LOVE the show Friends but every time the guys have a new turtleneck or sweater, and the girls always have a new dress or a new pair of pants, which is totally unrealistic (for the guys anyway).

This show had consistent humour all the way up to the last season, which is unusual for many shows. I LOVED George styling his hair to look like the bald guy from NYPD Blue, Elaine buying the JuJubes on the way to the hospital, Uncle Leo yelling "STOP THE SHOW" on the PBS special--these were just some of the great moments! This show is the best on televison, and if you haven't seen it, go and watch now!
154 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forever greatness
WrathChld6 May 2004
I was sitting in my apartment tonight watching the end of a sitcom era with the last "friends" episode and it brought me back to 1998 when we all said goodbye to "seinfeld". I won't sit here and debate, which was the better show because, lets face facts they both did a fine job. They are two very successful sitcoms, but other than that they really had an entirely different feel and format.

"Seinfeld" gave us all so many catch phrases and we all continue to enjoy these characters and episodes six years after the show ended. I just love it. I constantly find myself reciting lines from the show with a good friend of mine. This show rocks. It will always be a great show. I will continue to watch this show in reruns over and over. It sure doesn't get old.

I wanted to add some favorite lines or scenes from the show, but there are truly too many. Kramer, Elaine, George, and Jerry just rule and have such a great chemistry. The additional characters throughout the years were cool too. Some of my favorites were Puddy, Peterman, and Frank Castanza. Oh greatness.

So keep Seinfeld alive in your hearts and keeping watching the show about nothing.

Giddie Up!
127 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lennon & McCartney
RNMorton7 March 2005
The best television show ever. Ever. It's been off for how many years and we still try and get our 1 1/2 hour fix every weeknight. Like those famous Beatles, the combination of Larry David (too outrageous) and Seinfeld (too pedestrian) was so much greater than the sum of the parts. Classic ensemble work by Jerry, Alexander, Richards and Louis-Dreyfus. Richards and Louis-Dreyfus are all-time comic all-stars in their own right. It took them about 1/2 to 1 year to get up to speed and then they're off and running. With David gone the concept showed considerable wear in the final season, where some episodes are a grim caricature of earlier successes (e.g., George's "Twix" episode). The Puddy story lines were the show's one regular miss, particularly so towards the end. But what a run! And completed by a fitting send-off. The only television series I've watched regularly in the last 25 years. The DVD collections are highly recommended and include loads of fun commentary from the stars. 10 out of 10.
111 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest of all sitcoms
lupe658 January 2001
This is sort of a small tribute to the show.

It is too bad that this show is no longer being made. NBC should have used the "carrot and stick" approach with the creators and maybe the show would still be on. Instead, NBC gave them so much money that they just cut and ran. Sort of like "we'll give you millions and millions of dollars to do a short run series and then you guys can go". Which is what happened.

I am like some of the others here on this post who said that they did not really watch "Seinfeld". It took several weeks to catch on to the characters to get to like the show. Even in re-runs "Seinfeld" is still very funny.

Those people who say they do not like the show because it's about nothing are lying to themselves. They love it. They just cannot believe that someone could have been so successful with the show's premise.

You could tell after Larry David quit "Seinfeld" the difference in the shows humor and pacing. And I saw some movie Larry David made right after...stinkola. I think it was called "Sour Grapes". Maybe some sort of comment on life after "Seinfeld"?

It is extremely difficult to find anything on TV that even comes close to "Seinfeld". There just isn't any. This website suggests "Friends". Please. I think I just might throw up. "Friends" is just another of the cookie cutter sit-coms. After watching "Seinfeld", I cannot watch any sit-com, because it is just not the same. The others just fall way short of making any noticeable effort to put on some truly original humor.

I think that in a couple of years, one of the Turner cable stations will have the syndication rights to "Seinfeld". I hope that they will honor the show by always putting the show on from its first show to the last without skipping the order because a big part of the successful formula for "Seinfeld" was that the show had a distinct timeline. The way it is being aired now, on one day you'll see a show that aired in 1990 then the next day they have one on that originally aired in 1995. That really stinks.

Oh well. To all of you dyed-in-the-wool "Seinfeld" fans here is a little trivia I came across on the web.

An anagram for "Seinfeld" is "snideelf". One last one for "Jerry Seinfeld" is "friendly jeers".

Cheers to all of the creators, contributors, writers, producers, etc. of the greatest TV comedy ever.
164 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Greatest Sitcom of all time
Kingslaay8 February 2017
The Beatles have been regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, band of all time. You had 4 gifted musicians who were so individually talented and as a whole they changed music forever. The same can be said for the 4 main cast members of Seinfeld in the television space. For almost a decade this show has entertained not just the United States but the entire world. Each individual cast member was so talented and took their eccentric character to new heights. Over a period of time you grew to love the fab four.

Seinfeld is a show that got everything right. From incredible writing, catch phrases to award worthy performances. Even their guest stars were hitting home runs. The episodes and plots Seinfeld brought us was something we all could relate and react to. We were also treated to first class Stand Up comedy from Jerry Seinfeld. This show is simply timeless.

New shows could only dream to capture the greatness and ratings of this immortal show. The brilliance of the show could be seen in the acclaimed Contest episode where not a word had to be said to convey what it was about. Nowadays its pretty vulgar and leaves little room to think. I wish I could give this an 11 out of 10. Go watch it and don't hesitate to buy the entire series, its more than worth it. This cast and show certainly belt it out to the back row and make you feel it.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seinfeld - The Greatest Show Ever
Arctic_Monk24 June 2006
I first stumbled across 'Seinfeld' late last year, while flicking through channels and I can honestly say that it left me extremely surprised. As a thirteen year old used to the sappy family-friendly comedies such as 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Friends', I was quite amazed that this show that everyone was talking about, was devoting an entire episode to masturbation.

A day later, I tuned in again and I was surprised once more, but for a very different reason. IT WAS BRILLIANT! How come I had never come across it before?

Seinfeld's genius cannot be summed up easily. It has absolutely amazing actors playing the parts who are obviously enjoying themselves - one many occasions you can see smirks forming across Jerry's face, it has unbelievably funny situations which the characters find themselves in, and it has excellent writers - chiefly Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld - who manage to turn normal everyday situations in full blown moments of genuine comedy.

When you watch 'Seinfeld' you are guaranteed three things - Elaine to have a wonderfully funny break-up with another unlucky guy who strolled into her neurotic ways of dating, George to be chasing after anything with a skirt on - with hilarious consequences, and Kramer falling over and performing some of the best slapstick comedy seen since John Cleese in 'Fawlty Towers'. But where does this leave the show's namesake and Superman, if you will? Well, Jerry starts off many of the episodes with superbly observational stand-up comedy and for most of the episode he is in the middle of all of his friends' completely insane lives. But that's not to say that he is normal whatsoever. He is absolutely miles from it.

Although all of these would be reason enough to proclaim Seinfeld as the greatest comedy that America, or anywhere has ever produced, there is one more reason why Seinfeld is, in my view, the greatest show ever. It lies in the writing. While episodes of other comedies may seem to be made up as they go along, I can safely say that Seinfeld is the best-written comedy programme in history. The writers take completely irrelevant and pointless situations and make whole episodes of magnificent comedy out of them. Each episode is made up of at least two or three different stories which manage to link up perfectly in the end. Sometimes I devote the 30 minutes of the show, trying to work out how it will end, but I'm never able to guess it. For example, in one episode Elaine dates a guy who breaks up horribly with women, and is therefore attacked by his ex's frequently. Meanwhile, George is trying to get a good apartment by convincing the board that his life is a complete mess, and he therefore deserves a break for once. Right up until the last moment, it appears as if George's wish will come true, but he is beaten by who? Elaine's ex, the bad break-up guy, who got the apartment by telling the board of all the times he has been attacked by women in the street. It's a brilliant ending which I could not predict and proves once more, that Seinfeld really is THE GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME.

Sure, Season Nine may have thrown us some duffers, but overall no television comedy has had such a magnificent strike-rate, created so many phrases now used in everyday life, and influenced so many people. Shows have come and gone since it ended eight years ago, but none have even been half as hilarious as Seinfeld.

Like Jerry's idol, Superman, it is respected by everyone, and will never be forgotten. 10/10

• Alan Skelton
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The second best sitcom of all time!
Xophianic18 February 2000
Aside from THE DREW CAREY SHOW, this is the best sitcom on TV, beating out my other favorite, FRIENDS. SEINFELD is the most original sitcom ever, and I think that it has changed the way sitcoms are. This "show about nothing" has some of the funniest jokes and gags on TV, such at "The Contest" and "The Soup Nazi". Jerry, Elaine, Kramer and George are great, and the four actors together work wonderfully. I am sad that it's gone, but I'll be watching re-runs for a long long time.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great show!
action-619 May 2000
Seinfeld is a truly funny show, which I watch whenever I can. The series is based around 4 characters: Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer + lots of other characters. The characters are funny and and manage to get you laughing all the time. Excellent show, but it is a shame that they have stopped making new episodes. I want more!
78 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A peculiarly American sitcom
Curra Weisledge20 June 2006
I constantly read that there's plenty of plundering afoot when it comes to American and British sitcoms. Honestly, there is no British television programme that could ever lay claim to the simplistic creativity of "Seinfeld." This is a programme that created its own comedy. It might have begun by poking fun at everyday American middle class situations but by the 3rd or 4th season it had morphed into its own cottage comedy, creating mirth and mayhem through its uniquely crafted citizens. "Seinfeld" held together so well for so long because virtually its entire cast stuck together and grew together. Every character was fully fleshed out, from the stars such as Jerry and George to the occasionals such as Puddy and Elaine's Rabbi. If for one second I believed that New York was like Seinfeld's New York, I would visit it in a New York minute. A true Brit could handle the Soup Nazi and my Mum always wanted to rescue poor George from himself.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not funny at all
KathyL5924 January 2008
I tried to watch this show when it was on and just could not stand watching a bunch of whiny, selfish, dysfunctional 30 somethings complain about the happenings or not of their pathetic lives(I had enough of that in my life). I have since caught a few episodes in reruns, unfortunately. This was never a funny show. The comedy club spot at the beginning was weak with jokes being delivered as if Jerry was practicing in front of a mirror, instead of speaking to a supposedly educated audience and the situations were improbable with everyone having no type of common sense at all. The show was poorly written and each episode was about nothing at all. I just don't understand the appeal.
59 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most overrated show in the history of TV
indianajones789518 November 2009
I'm sorry, but I just will never understand what the big deal about this show was. It's bland, pretentious, repetitive, mean-spirited, and just not funny. I simply don't see the point of a sitcom with no character development. Why would I revisit a show every week if nothing ever happened? The characters never learn anything, they never change, and they only get more narcissistic and cruel to each other as the show goes on. I refuse to believe that people really think that the world is like this. People are good and have the capacity to be truly altruistic. We're not all a bunch of cheap-ass narcissists living in New York. I would explain my dislike for the show further, but it would be a waste of breath, as my statements would only fall on deaf ears of the droves of sheep who worship at the altar of the holy Seinfeld.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is Seinfeld Comedy ?
alattawi9012 October 2014
I was excited to begin watching Seinfeld, the great ratings, the reputation, the quotes, everything around me was giving the impression that I'm about to watch the greatest sitcom ever, the I'm about to experience an hours of non stopped laughs.. But what happened was something unexpected, at all.. I watched the first three season with absolutely no smile at all, and before quitting the show i watched the highest 2 rated episodes on IMDb , but nothing changed ! It was childish, annoying, the acting was the only thing that is funny because it was so primitive.. i watched Scrubs, The Office, Friends, Community, Parks and Recreation, these are Comedy, Seinfeld is just something annoying that his success is one of the mysteries that cant be solved..
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seinfeld- a comedy, apparently
studioAT26 June 2016
Comedy is subjective, it's why I love it as a genre so much.

However for me Seinfeld isn't funny. I know lots of people will dislike my review now having said that, but it's the truth. I don't find the set-up, or the characters funny.

It was a cult hit in its day but here in the UK it didn't really air much and is more of the sort of show you think you should like but really can't get into.

The less said about the rubbish series finale the better. A fine example of how to wrap up a show.

But then again, comedy is subjective.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jerry, thank you for ... stopping this utter crap
Mac Styran19 August 2002
What's all the fuzz about this sorry show? So many people who praise it and... well, I have seen several episodes. Research, you know... I not even SMILED ONE DAMN TIME.

Either the series is not funny at all, or I am one of those 2% of the worlds population that just doesn't get it.

No, I don't think so... I like other series that ARE FUNNY.

Apart from that ALL the characters are whiny, annoying and plain uninteresting, there's not even ONE JOKE in there...

I always waited for something funny to happen... instead, one of those @$$#**es goes somewhere, something bland happens and he/she makes a problem out of that incident which is then "carried out" by the rest of the dumb bunch...

This show is worthless.

I want my time back....
47 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This show sucked
uhf_fan626 May 2007
I can't believe anyone liked this show. Seinfeld sucked. Jerry, Kramer, Elaine and George were all unlikeable losers. I watched several episodes and found nothing funny. All just incredibly lame crap about "man hands", Jerry holding a pez dispenser, George not being able to hold down a job and Jerry and George talking about stupid topics like buttons. Not to mention Elaine trying to dance.

It just goes to show that some people will laugh at ANYTHING. Some people think it's funny to see a guy get kicked in the groin or for people to be humiliated on those talk shows, so it doesn't surprise me that there are people out there who actually liked this stupid show.

Why TV Guide put this show at the top of its greatest shows of all-time list shows you that the people at TV guide couldn't distinguish between a television screen and the window on a microwave oven.
43 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible
yastepanov8 July 2016
When they say this is a "show about nothing" they mean it. There is nothing here, nothing at all.

The facts from previous episodes are ignored and contradicted not just once, but often. It has no internal consistency.

It gets plaudits and awards, despite wholly predictable and stereotyped characters, nonsensical plot lines, poor performances and humor that isn't actually funny.

This is a show about living in New York, aimed at New Yorkers, but largely ignoring the fact that most Americans aren't from New York, don't actually care about New York and would not be seriously concerned about New York.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overrated junk
pinetarrag8 January 2010
Ah, Seinfeld. Where do I begin with my dislike for thee? Well, let's start with the four main characters.

Jerry: The leader of the four and the main character. He is an unfunny rather wimpy character, who somehow earns a living as a stand-up comedian. I have seen funnier comedians at open-mike nights at my college. Mr. Seinfeld seems to think that saying something in a whiny voice will make it funny, but he just comes off as a whiny little punk.

George-A gloomy Gus who seems to take pleasure in complaining about everything in his life. When he lands a soft job with the New York Yankees he moans and groans as if he is be asked to handle live cobras. Perhaps because of this he has an inability to keep a job, yet somehow he gets to go out with gorgeous women. His parents are obnoxious, especially his father,with that kind of home life growing maybe it's no surprise George is the way he is.

Elaine-A woman who can never find the "right guy" , which seems to be a cause for much amusement in the Seinfeld universe. Elaine is steadily employed , and she is the character that grates on my nerves the least.

Kramer- A puffy haired dope who acts like he is on crack. A guy who does absolutely nothing and yet always seems to have money, he lives across the hall from Jerry. Some people find Kramer to be "quirky" i find him to be an obnoxious cad. Kramer is the sort of guy who, if you encountered him, would make you call the police or a mental hospital. Instead when people meet him, Kramer is regarded is royalty or some such thing.He is good friend with the obnoxious Newman a mailman who's only function is to get on everyone's nerves. Well here the writers hit a success, Newman, like all the other characters is annoying as all get out.
32 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the most unfunny comedian ever
ruthven197423 July 2003
what is the big deal with this show?

jerry seinfeld is anything but funny and the situations in this show are absolutely ridiculous ( not in a good way thought ). never have i been so bored watching a sitcom ( except maybe for everybody loves raymond ) . the acting is pathetic , even for a sitcom , and seinfeld's stand up in the beginning of the episodes are as annoying as the rest of the show .

how can so many people call that thing the best sitcom ever ?
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing else comes close
avon.street5 January 2001
Seinfeld is the only show I've ever been able watch over and over again, reruns I've seen 4 or 5 times I still find hilarious. Just about everyone knows the Seinfeld setup, four loser friends (Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer the nutty neighbor) who pour over the minutiae of everyday life, whose storylines (however abstract and different they are) always come together at the end.

Although by the later seasons the show had gotten more wacky and bizarre, the quality of the comedy never dipped in all it's nine seasons. Even when they found themselves in the most ludicrous situations, you could always strangely identify with the characters. Other shows are funny, but Seinfeld was naturally funny, the lines never seemed forced and the situations blended together seamlessly. Where shows like Cheers and Friends (even Frasier) rely almost entirely on one liners and emotions, Seinfeld's characters had practically no emotions (George once pulls the plug on a hospital patient's drip, and pretends to be disabled to use the spacious disabled bathroom) and the one liners were all part of the conversation.

It really is difficult to say anything negative about Seinfeld, there's no episode where you could say the writers weren't trying or had given up, even in it's last season the show performed the ambitious "Backwards episode" where the story finished at the beginning and started at the end. Sometimes you couldn't see where the storylines tied up at the end, you just had to look a bit harder for the genius, a reason why most episodes require a second viewing. I can't see anything ever topping Seinfeld, there was nothing contrived about it, no bar where everybody knows your name, or friends who'll "be there for you." It found comedy in realism, something that had never been done before, and will never be mastered again.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I just can't see anything funny about this show
nchariso6 March 2012
I had watched about 50 episodes of Seinfeld and after seeing the reviews here I decided to watch some more in case I was missing something! I can honestly say that Seinfeld is one of the most annoying people I have ever seen on TV and not funny at all. There are about 2 or 3 scenes that just make me crack a smile but that is not enough. I can accept what many people say, that it is different than all the other shows but being different doesn't necessarily mean that it is good. This is one of those cases! I can still enjoy many shows of the 90's and 80's today and laugh every time I watch them, but this show is just awful.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this