Get a Life (TV Series 1990–1992) Poster

(1990–1992)

Hilarity!
pfelon1 February 2001
This was my favorite TV show when it was on. It had wacky slapstick, sharp dialogue, and fantastic performance. If you've seen "Cabin Boy", you'll love Chris Elliott in this show.

When "There's Something About Mary" came out, I saw it and was reminded instantly of the sort of outlandish humor both that and "Get a Life" used.

My favorite episode is definitely the one where Chris is mutated by nuclear material and becomes a spelling bee wizard before it wears off and he badly misspells the word "pants".

If you haven't seen it, check it out.
19 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Nutso, schizo, and totally hilarious, the ultimate Chris Elliot vehicle
cfisanick26 February 2002
It's been over a decade, and many of us still double-over with laughter just thinking about episodes of this insane sitcom, a Hellzapopin revue for the goofy, mannered talents of Chris Elliot. However, an equal number of folks see this show as nothing but stupid. Elliot, Resnick, and company probably see it that way too. There aren't many absolutes in life, but this is one of them: You'll either love or hate this show (and your feelings will be inextricably tied to how much you like Chris Elliot). There is NO middle ground. No one ever says that "Get a Life" is "just OK," "fair," or "I could take it or leave it." It inspires fervent reactions both pro and con. And in a plain vanilla world of network television, that's a good thing!

For me, my life is always a whole lot better when I think about "Spewey the Alien," "Zoo Animals on Wheels," and the "Toolbelt Wars." Those episodes are as fresh today as they were in the day. The trouble with Chris Elliot, I think, is that he has such a bizarre, almost off-putting sense of humor that a little of him goes a long way. (If you don't believe me, see "Cabin Boy.") Here's the perfect vehicle to enjoy his talents--in 22 minute chunks! Eat up!
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Where did it go?
joehed28 November 1999
Why did this show die? I thought it was one of the funniest series on television ever. Chris Elliot is Chris Peterson, a thirty year old newspaper delivery boy who still lives with his parents.

This show should be resurrected. My favorite episode is when Chris orders a submarine via the mail and he builds it in his bathtub. Him and his father then get trapped inside and are running out of air.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It was stupid but in a good way.
blackarachnia231 October 2004
I don't really know why I'm bothering to comment on this show but I do know that this was one of Fox's most underrated shows. To look at Chris and Bob Elliott you'd never know that the two were even related. I think that they made a pretty dynamic duo. Chris and Bob both had such great chemistry on the small screen. I really enjoyed Get A Life but it's just too bad that the show was canceled after only 2 seasons.

The people who were in Get A Life were funny and witty but there was just something about the chemistry between Bob and Chris that really appealed to me. A father/son duo who were out to prove that they could be just as funny as the rest of them could. :)
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This was an original show
William (wmattifo)5 July 2004
A lot of television humor is recycled from past shows, or just the same theme over and over again. I won't go into examples, but I think you understand what I'm saying. This show, however, was original and showed the world that Chris Elliot is a brilliant comedian. Does anyone remember that Elliot got his start on "David Letterman" on NBC as the "Conspiracy guy", who would stand up in the audience, interrupt the show, and accuse Letterman of some "cover-up" involving missing files and Connie Chung? Then he would run through a door and get run over (usually by a floor buffer). "Get a Life" was very funny and quite original. I guess my favorite episode was the one where the alien Chris found would ooze out some vile, and disgusting stuff out of his body, and Chris ate it. He got Brian Doyle-Murray to eat some, too. They said it tasted like pudding. The alien seemed disgusted that they were eating the stuff, too. I really liked this show and I wish Fox had kept it on longer.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The show was original
Chris Morrow (morrowman2)28 September 2005
What can I say "Get a Life was so Strange that it was funny. Half the episodes didn't make any kind of point, but it was funny just the same. The show was basically about a middle aged boy named Chris Peterson who had a paper route and lived with his parents, at least in the 1st season and above all else, HAD NO LIFE! The show only lasted two seasons. During the 2nd season Chris moves out of his parents house and into the basement of retired police officer, Gus who was his landlord-friend. Why FOX didn't keep the series on longer I don't understand because the show had many amusing episodes, corny but funny. I do miss this show I look back and remembered laughing my self silly watching this show every week. But, as usual FOX always cancels the good TV Shows.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
FANTASTIC SHOW!
jmuduke5 August 2003
One of the funniest sitcom's ever! I don't know why this show didn't survive. I think the humor was ahead of it's time. My favorite episode was when the construction workers were doing some work in Chris' parent's kitchen, and they taught Chris how to yell out catcalls to women as they passed by. "Yeah, uh-huh. Pluck that banjo honey. Yeah, you have a very nice skirt on today." I hope Rhino comes out with more episodes on DVD.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
So under rated it explains a lot.
wgjwi26 February 2004
I loved this program, one that always left me howling with laughter. There is nothing subltle about the gags, props or the humor in this program, it's all in your face, all the way.
GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!
PatORourke3 September 2002
This is, without a doubt, the funniest show I have ever seen on TV. The episodes are like a cartoon; anything can happen and it is not bound by normal rules. The results are definitely laugh-out-loud funny. Get the DVD!! It only has four episodes but they are great no matter how many times I watch them. I wish that all the episodes were available for purchase. About two years ago USA reran the entire series. I TiVo'd a bunch but then my TiVo broke...it was a very sad day indeed. My favorite episode is when Chris finds a dead rat in his milk carton and decides to become a food inspector. He gets sucked into the corrupt world of bribes and $5 perks. Eventually he is caught and has to testify before a senate sub-committee. "Sub-committee? Whats that? One of those things where a bunch of guys sit around eating those long sandwiches?" Then he laughs like an idiot. Classic!
Hilarious!!!!!
BigKutz13 June 1999
Wow,what a show,every sunday evening before i went to bed, i used to unwind from the weekend with this show. It was so funny,and every week our hero a 30 year old paperboy found some way to get himself killed(South Park rippped it off) Chris would die of eating poison fish, or one of the others would rip off his head, and kick it around like a soccer ball. I used to laugh until i was on the floor every week, and i hated Fox for canceling this show. It should have been given a cushy time slot after The Simpsons where it would have thrived.
I agree!
Zorro-311 May 2003
Wow! As much as this show is only for a certain type of warped sense of humor (like mine!) I can't not notice that every single reviewer of this semi-controversial show (so far) has sung praises. And all deserved! I so agree! I only wish they'd put a few more on DVD.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
excellent & innovative but undoubtedly misunderstood
wlfaulk22 October 2004
Get a Life was an excellent & innovative program. There never was, nor has there been since, anything like it. Unfortunately, because the comedy was so off-beat, it was undoubtedly misunderstood and so it was canceled after only 1 season. Given half a chance, some decent promotion and a few "names", Fox would have had another in a long line of successes. One of my favorite episodes was the satire of the musical "Cats." Chris Elliot's parents were particularly good and if you like Chris's style / humor, you can't help but enjoy the show. Maybe, if enough "noise" is made, it could be revived.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Most Brilliant Television Ever Made
Kino Jerk23 April 1999
This is the GREATEST TV ever made. Why hasn't every episode been released to the public? Some sort of fascist government plot to keep us from seeing Spewey the alien who can make custard out of his belly? It's time we had a right to know!

This show also features the writing talents of Bob Odenkirk, a comparable genius in his own right. Just see Mr. Show to find out.

Did I forget to say this show is nothing short of brilliant?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
see it!
sunray21 November 1998
This is one of the funniest series i've ever seen, even though or probably because the stories are so tremendously bizarre (or stupid, for people who don't see what's so funny about a 30 year old guy who still lives with his parents) If you like the humor of There's Something About Mary, you should see one of the episodes of these series.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Totally Awesome
sandra28098 October 2004
Somewhere in the early nineties a Dutch TV station bought a dozen of episodes of Get a Life and it was one of the funniest, if not THE funniest thing I have ever seen. I remember a few years later I even wrote to the TV station to beg for reruns (but never heard from them). Apparently not many people (in the Netherlands) liked it. The funny thing is though, that the good friends I have had, when I mentioned Get a Life, they have freaked out; they say it's one of the best things they ever saw! So do I have a specific taste in friends? :-) Weird! I am currently trying to get it from the U.S. on DVD cos needless to say it's not released in Europe. I so hope I get it cos it was so awesome! Everybody should watch it at least once when given the chance cos it's quite unique and if it IS your kind of thing, you probably will never see anything funnier.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the funniest ever
Sean841 April 2000
There are only three shows that guaranteed a good laugh any time you watched them: Married with Children, Nightstand, and Get a life. However, with the other two, there was a certain amount of predictability in the gags. You never knew what to expect with Get a Life. One episode, Chris got a wheel-barrow full of spoiled shrimp and served it to his friends. They didn't die, but fell into a trance-like condition which Chris exploited. At the end of the show he found a label warning him, "do not hypnotize friends if they eat the shrimp." The episode ended ala "Night of the Living Dead." Just one of the many shows. Man, I wish they would bring it back, or at least have reruns like they do for the other two I mentioned.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Totally awesomeness
jeff93426 June 2004
I remember back when I was 9 trying to watch this show it was the only other show besides Married with Children that my mother never really let me see. I think one reason I loved this show was that it had Chris Elliott in it I mean you can't get any funnier than Chris Elliott. I'll be honest I can't really remember all the episodes I just remember that this show was totally awesome. There was one episode that he built a submarine in his parents bathroom I mean how many children wished they could? I feel this show was so awesome because he wasn't afraid to do what parents didn't like. I just wish that they would have kept this show on for more than the two seasons it was on... Anyway its a great show all around and I applaud Chris Elliott on a great job.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Roll on the floor laughs
Manus Hand26 August 2003
The wide-eyed innocence of (an overextended) youth, in the person of Chris Elliott, refuses -- episode after episode -- to submit to the reality of an adult world, no matter the patent absurdity of his childishness. Even with his bitingly sarcastic father constantly trying to slap him in the face with reality, Chris's character maintains his hilarious naiveté, to such an extent that he often convinces the world to join him in it and bend to his will.

Anyone who remembers their childhood and what it was like dreaming mail-order dreams that fail when the postman finally arrives cannot help but admire and envy Chris's tenacity in holding onto those dreams forever. Even now, more than a decade later, just the thought of Chris the infantile adult ordering a submarine kit through the mail then building and using it in his bathtub/shower has me laughing to the point of tears.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Funny @$$ show
WeeBey (WeeBey)29 October 2003
Chris Eliot is a comic genius. I wish they would release this whole series on dvd. It was the funniest show next to the simpsons when it was on. My favorite episodes were the father/son american gladiators, the toolbelt wars, and handsome boy modeling school.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This sh*t is insane and hilarious!
Bushleaguer14 May 2003
"Get a Life" is the most f***ed up television sitcom you will ever cross paths with. It can also be one of the most hilarious shows you will ever watch. The thing with "Get a Life" is that you either get it or you don't. Some will believe it to be the dumbest piece of garbage to hit the airwaves. Others remember the show as extremely funny and original. I choose the latter.

Chris Elliott, Adam Resnick and Dave Mirkin created perhaps single most disturbing sitcom to ever grace the FOX Fall lineup. During the early 1990s, they featured the best and most unique television sitcoms...ever. They had the greatest show in the history of mankind, "Married...with Children," and several other favorites such as "The Ben Stiller Show," "Drexell's Class," "Herman's Head," "In Living Color," "Martin," "Roc" and "The Simpsons" when it was still laugh out loud hilarious, or decent for that matter. In my mind, with the exception of "Married," "Get a Life" was their best show, and as you can tell, it had quite a bit of competition with the previously mentioned sitcoms and dramas such as "Beverly Hills, 90210," "Melrose Place" and the network's eventual saving grace, "The X-Files."

Look for "Get a Life" on DVD. Rhino has not released individual seasons (both seasons) of the series, but you can find best of volumes everywhere from Media Play to Circuit City.

"Get a Life" was righteously excellent.

***1/2 out of ****.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Like a living "Non Sequitur" cartoon.
Nick Zbu23 October 2000
It was 1990 and Fox was still a fledging station. And only then could something this odd and off-the-wall could flourish for such a short time. The adventures of a 30-year-old paperboy getting into wacky and stupid situations is sometimes odd, sometimes weird, and nearly all the time funnier than hell. And the man behind it, David Merkin, also deserves a lot of the credit (you can see where this show and it's short-lived successor, 'The Edge,' meet on the comedy axis). Truly a hidden jewel in the annals of TV history.

If you're not entertained, at least you can claim you have never seen something this unique or will see ever again.
Great show!
bkemperb-227 August 2000
This show was so ahead of it's time. I can't think of another network show that was as weird and unpredictable as this show. I haven't seen this show in over 8 years but I can still remember the episode where all the paperboys were fired. They were replaced by a paper delivering machine. Chris decided to face off against this machine. Chris comes out wearing a super hero outfit made of aluminum foil and duct tape. The machine started going haywire, throwing papers through windows. The machine was heading toward a baby carriage. Chris managed to stop the machine before it ran over the carriage.
A great show to work on
Lance Clarke23 August 2006
I had the opportunity to work on the TV series "Get A Life" over at Sunset-Gower Studios as a Production Assistant to the Cinematographer in the first season. I admit I'm biased because of this but I still think the show was hilarious! Chris is a great person to work with and his Dad is very funny and the nicest guy you could meet! One of my favorite episodes is the haunted house episode because of the blood coming out of the walls. Chris cries, "Oh no the walls are bleeding, I hate that!" It stands out for me because I was one of three people standing behind the set pouring the blood! If you've seen the show you probably remember that Sam Robards's played Chris's best friend on the show. I remember he was living in Colorado at the time and would fly in every week for filming. One time we got into an intense conversation, meanwhile everyone on set is trying to find him and are yelling for him. Once they found out what happened to him we both got chewed out by the Exec. Prod. David Mirkin (who went on to the Simpson's). Sam, like everyone else (cast and crew), was also a bright, funny guy. I had just graduated from college and this was my first job and I remember it fondly. I was very fortunate to start out with such wonderful people on such a funny show!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
FOX was ready to kill this show,and did so the first chance it got
S.R. Dipaling22 October 2005
I loved this show! FOX television,while a fairly savvy network through much of its run since 1990,seemed to be un-in-love with this show from about the first three or four episodes on and it could be seen as a minor miracle that they even bothered to retain it for a second year! As such,they still dealt it pretty harshly,moving it from the high profile Sunday night slot it debuted in to the easily ignored Saturday mid-evening slot. Needless to say,the ratings would drop and it gave FOX all the excuse it needed to officially dump the show at last.

Chris Elliott's charm(or lack thereof)and grotesque goofiness was honed on David Letterman's NBC show through the 1980s,and is plugged into this wildly drawn premise of an overgrown paperboy. I felt it applied perfectly,brilliantly in this show. Great supporting turns by(among others)Bob Elliott(Chris' dad and accomplished comedian in his own right),Elinor Donahue,Robin Riker and Brian Doyle-Murray made this show fitfully funny and completely lacking sentimentality or schmaltz.

I hope this show makes it to DVD(preferably sooner than later),assuming it hasn't already. I'd love to get reacquainted with these shows,and I imagine I'm not alone on this.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I need the DVD's!!! or copies of the DVD's!!! PLEASE!!!
dmeehan-125 January 2005
Get A Life was the greatest show to ever air on TV. I only taped 2 episodes, which I have dubbed to DVD, and watched a million time.... the Spewie episode,, and the finale episode.. I have nothing from season 1!!! The DVD's are not available in Canada!! please somebody!! rip & send!! of I will pay someone to burn their DVD's and send them to me!!! I BEG OF YOU!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! email me thanks! I collect old TV shows. I'm also looking for: "Barretta" "six million dollar man" "bionic woman" "magic" "the incredible hulk". Get A Life was the greatest show to ever air on TV. I only taped 2 episodes, which I have dubbed to DVD, and watched a million time.... the Spewie episode,, and the finale episode.. I have nothing from season 1!!! The DVD's are not available in Canada!! please somebody!! rip & send!! of I will pay someone to burn their DVD's and send them to me!!! I BEG OF YOU!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! email me thanks! I collect old TV shows. I'm also looking for: "Barretta" "six million dollar man" "bionic woman" "magic" "the incredible hulk
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?