Uncle Buck (1989) Poster

(1989)

Here's a quarter. Go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face.
Pookyiscute11 February 2004
Candy's best performance ever. As hard as it is to pick a favorite role that John Candy ever portrayed, I'd have to say it was Uncle Buck. Although this wasn't the only title he and Culkin ever shared, it was the only film the two ever shared any time on screen together.

Basic plot: Candy's sister-in-law's father has just had a heart attack in the middle of the night and the two parents rush trying to find someone to watch the kids for them while they hop the next flight to go see her father. In a desperate last resort, they call the husband's brother. Buck. Of course, the concerned uncle comes to the rescue and takes the task with no complaint. However, the oldest of the children doesn't care for her bumbling uncle, and the discipline and protection he places upon her, while her parents are away.

A great heart-warming comedy that will make you laugh and possibly even cry at times. A classic, and certainly a triumph that wouldn't have happened without John Candy. Hollywood truly lost a great actor.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10. One of the funniest and most wonderful stories, but not my favorite.

And that's my review.
79 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uncomplicated simple and pleasant
John27 December 2004
I gave this an '8', which is one or two more points than it really should get, but the simple fact is - I enjoy watching it over and over. John Candy shines as Uncle Buck. He brings the character alive and you can't help but wish you had a crazy guy like that as an uncle.

Well, maybe a distant uncle, but still he's warm, lovable and helpless in so many ways. As one would expect, the story is simple, the scenes mostly predictable (except maybe the ax-murder scene?) and of course there's a happy ending.

The little kids, Maisy and Miles, played by Gaby Hoffman and a slightly younger Macaulay Culkin, are simply adorable! The teenage daughter (Jean Louisa Kelly) perfectly portrays a teenage girl in the throws of that classic imbalance between childhood and adulthood.

Anyway - no one dies. No one loses an eye or an arm. No houses burn down. There are no explosions, no fighter jet scenes, no wild car chases - just plain old silly fun.

Go watch it. This is not a request! Uncle Buck says watch it!
63 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
JOHN CANDY'S FINEST HOUR
dogcow22 September 2002
Simply Candy's best film, second only to Planes, Trains & Automobiles. Only hughes knew what to do with Candy. He is completely charming as a total hapless slob who invades his newphew and neices life. Every scene in this film is memorable! Its sad such a comic genius is no longer with us, but he will always be rememered. If you see only one John Candy movie make it UNCLE BUCK.
70 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underrated Gem
Big Movie Fan2 December 2002
There isn't really much to be said about Uncle Buck. It is very good but it is a simple little film, one of those nice films to watch on a Sunday afternoon without having to rack your brain or think too hard.

The late John Candy excels here as Buck Russell who at first glance is a slob and without much going for him. However, as the film goes on, we learn that Uncle Buck does indeed have a heart. The film really is about a guy who looks like the type of man you would keep your family away from but who is in fact a guy with a heart of gold.

I recommend Uncle Buck to anyone who fancies watching a nice simple little film for the whole family to enjoy. And watch out for the scene with the drunken clown on the doorstep!
43 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
John Candy is BRILLIANT as Uncle Buck.
famousgir116 November 2001
Uncle Buck is a brilliant and fun comedy for everyone. John Candy plays Uncle Buck, a guy who has to look after his brothers children for a while, as his brother and sister-in-law have to go away. The kids include a rebellious teen, Tia, and two sweet young kids, Maisy and Miles. As well as the great Joh Candy starring here, the just as great Gaby Hoffmann and Macaulay Culkin also star in this movie. I give Uncle Buck a 10/10.
35 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sensitive, often touching film that was made for John Candy's talents.
gitrich4 December 1998
Uncle Buck is a lovable character who, though irresponsible at times, loves his brother's children like his own. He winds up trying to deal with more than he bargained for when he must keep track of his teenage niece who tests the limits while her parents are not at home. It is funny and touching, something Candy does very well. This is a movie worth renting and one that teens and up can really enjoy.
30 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Say Uncle!
Pepper Anne22 July 2004
Uncle Buck is a typical John Hughes family film, and probably the first of the beginning of a series of family films as director/writer Hughes left the world of teenage film-making (though Career Opportunities would be released the early 90s).

Uncle Buck is a cute, innocuous family film about an unusual uncle trying to adapt to parenting skills, of which he basically has none. When their mother's father has a heart attack, the parents of the three children have to leave town to visit him, so they need a babysitter, pronto! Call it misadventures in babysitting because they get the father's somewhat irresponsible, but loving uncle, Uncle Buck (John Candy).

The story is typical. Uncle Buck is a big mess at first. Not really sure how things work, but trying hard to make friends with the younger kids (Gabby Hoffman and Maculay Culkin), and trying very hard to make peace with the older, cynical niece (Jean Louise Kelly) who for some reason, just can't take a liking to Buck. In part, that's understandable considering that he does try his bess to embarrass her at times in order to get her to see how stupid she's being (especially when she's around her idiot boyfriend, Bug). But in her case, she really has an overdose of teen angst, and that spells trouble for Buck. The niece does her best to get revenge on Buck, and make life as difficult as possible for him so that her parent's will see what an irresponsible bafoon he is, or at least that she pegs him to be.

The story also examines typical John Hughes elements, namely class divisions. Buck isn't exactly wealthy, let alone classy. Also, there are familial tensions, since the oldest daughter doesn't get along with her mother well at all (or either parent really, but we really don't see her relationship with her father). But, like all Hughes comedies, it is resolved and everyone lives happily ever after.

This is a better movie for kids in their mid teens and younger, since Buck's comedic antics (the monster size pancakes, the washing machine mishap, and the revenge on the boyfriend, Bug) will generate plenty of laughs. Buck has his own way of doing things, kind of like Michael Keaton in 'Mr. Mom' (although Keaton follows a standardized process afterwards unlike Buck, who's improvisations are his own, and he sticks with them). The interaction between Bug and Buck are the best because Bug is such an idiot and scared as hell of Buck. Though, I think the funniest scenes are with Laurie Metcalf (always a scene stealer) as the seductive, cooky next door neighbor who takes a liking to Buck.

John Hughes fans in general will probably enjoy this comedy, though that depends if you kept maintained faithfulness to his film catalogue even after he started going strictly with mindless family films (and not teenage comedies). Though, this is the earliest period of that transition, about the same time as Dutch and Curly Sue, so it really depends on what serves your taste as far as John Hughe's family film collection goes.

It is a nice little comedy, and one that wouldn't hurt to try. You'll probably get a few good laughs in there. John Candy always does.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Hughes' best
MisterWhiplash4 November 2000
John Hughes' Uncle Buck is a comedy that isn't as recognized as much as his acclaimed films (Home Alone, Pretty In Pink, Weird Science, Breakfast Club, 16 Candles), but this is just as funny and heartwarming as the others. Courtesy mainly of the lead John Candy as Buck Russell. He brings to the screen sarcastic humor that works best for him. Enjoyable throughout, even if sometimes the mushy stuff is unbearable. Favorite line "He, he, he, you ever hear of a ritual killing? hehehe". A-
43 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great John Candy movie!
Movie Nuttball12 July 2003
This in My opinion is one of the late great John Candy's best films! The story,acting,music,and cast is just right.The film is very funny and it is never boring.I just love the Uncle Buck character.The character always wants to have a good time,is always kind and does small and big things for people that he doesn't even have to do. I wish more people in the world was like this.Anyway I have seen it many times and in My opinion its a classic!If you haven't seen Uncle Buck and love John Candy,silly and serious comedies then check out this great movie!I highly recommend it!
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
can't go wrong
miss-freudstein10 October 2004
**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

'Uncle Buck' is a comedy/drama movie starring John Candy as Buck Russell, Jean Louisa Kelly, Macaulay Culkin and Gaby Hoffmann. When Cindy's father has a heart attack, someone is needed to watch the kids.

Buck is phoned as a last resort, (with the exception of un-contacted neighbour Marcie) and must arrive at their home as soon as possible. Cindy and Bob must go to stay with him in Indianapolis, while Buck (Bob's brother) stays with the children. Cindy doesn't trust Buck. She feels extremely uneasy and nervous about leaving the kids with him. He is a 40 year old, who is not married, has no children, gambles and hates to work. He is a light hearted character, and doesn't like to take things seriously. Things start off on the wrong foot. Miles and Maisy (Culkin and Hoffmann) don't remember him, and he doesn't even remember their names. Tia instantly clashes with him, as she does with her mother. Tia is a sarcastic, angry rebellious fifteen year old girl. She keeps her life to herself, but not her opinions. Buck warns her about the intentions of her boyfriend Bug (Jay Underwood), whom he can see straight through after meeting him.

We can't help but feel sorry for Buck. He grows to love the kids, yet Tia gives him an incredibly hard time. He is hated by Cindy.(She even folded him off of her and Bob's wedding photo) Chanice(Buck's girlfriend) catches Buck with flirtatious Marcie, and gets the wrong idea of what is going on, thanks to Tia, who is trying to make things miserable for Buck.

However, after Tia discovers Buck was right about Bug, we see a special relationship develop between uncle and niece. When Bob and Cindy return home, there is a heart-warming moment between mother and daughter. Uncle Buck's comedy comes fast and frequently. Buck has the greatest comedic role. My personal favourite Buck moments are when he talks to bug about the hatchet in the trunk, chat with Tia about shaving heads, and drill moments. The accompanying sound effects are so well suited here. They have a sci-fi effect, and make Buck seem rather scary to the character opposite, and funny to the viewers. Also note the way that Buck carries out household jobs, such as the washing, drying and ironing. One of the greatest lines in the movie is the 'tune-up' 'ritual killing' line (if you've seen the movie, you'll know!), beaten by the question and answers sequence between Miles and Buck. Brilliant! Miles also comes across as a comedic character. He also seems quite smart and mature for his age. This film is great to watch time and time again. It never loses its comedy value. If you have some time to spare, I suggest filling it with Uncle Buck. You won't be disappointed! My rating of Uncle Buck - 9/10.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favourite movies!
DomiMMHS1 January 1999
This is one of my favourite movies. It is only rather hard to say why. Only because it was one of the first good comedies I've seen? What's behind it?

The movie is about a character named Buck, who is played by the late John Candy. You might think this says everything to be said. Not really. I hate most movies with John Candy in a supporting role, because these roles are mostly silly and superfluous. The worst example I have seen is his *role* in "Brewster's millions"(starring Richard Pryor). Not so here, where he takes the lead once again. To my mind, Uncle Buck was the role of John Candy's life.

This character is a man who has more faults and weaknesses than you could ever count, but it's clear that he is very warm-hearted and, *surprise!*, can be a good parent in a very inventive way. Of course this is no movie for real depth, neither is it a movie for masterful performances. This is why I was hesitating to give it 10 out of 10, but why not? It d o e s achieve well and it r e a l l y works.

The teenager and both children all do a good job here and they are the perfect supply to John Candy. It was no-one minor to Roger Ebert who argued that the teenager, played by Jean Louisa Kelly, was too angry and too sharp to be sympathetic. I like reading Ebert's reviews and I wouldn't dare try to prove him wrong, but that doesn't mean I have to agree. Why should she not be too angry and too sharp? Why should she be perfect, why can't she be dark, mean and bad? And learn better in the end of the movie. And does this necessarily mean that we don't still like her character?

It's kind of comforting to watch a more genuine Macaulay Culkin here, before he had become famous, and Gaby Hoffmann is also very nice to watch. I also like Laurie Metcalf here as neighbour Marci Dahlgreen-Frost, if only because this *role* seems to me like a grotesque exaggeration of her role in "Roseanne".
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic John Candy
dmlaspaluto15 July 2011
Really, this is funny from start to finish, and pretty smart too. A great comedy, this is also a fine movie about growing up - for every character in the film. Obviously, the most important is Uncle Buck himself, a man- child long overdue for some responsibility. But his nieces, nephew, sister-in-law, and even "Bug" ("What is his last name? Spray?") are in for some character development. Of course, Candy and his half-hang-dog, half- know-it-all, and half know-nothing (yes, that's too many halves) together carry the film, but the others hit their marks as well -- kids, teens, and adults as well. There are some classic moments - I think about Buck's friend down at the crime lab who can analyze a toothbrush to make sure the kids brushed their teeth every time my kids claim they've brushed their teeth when I know they didn't spend enough time in there. But mostly this is a comedy with an actual plot, and nicely done.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THIS MOVIE CHANGED MY LIFE
usiii4 September 2003
This movie changed my life...literally. My friend had seen a local community article on a girl in our hometown newspaper. He thought she was attractive and looked up her Dad's name (listed in the article) in the phonebook. He then proceeded to call her and make small talk. I don't know how he ever convinced her that calling up people you see in the paper is a normal situation.....but anyway he did .....and she agreed to go out on a date but only on a double date. He then invited me along on this crazy escapade on the condition that she would bring a friend as well. The double date was set and we all agreed by phone to see a little movie called Uncle Buck. By the way...all this happened when I was about 15 (Uncle Buck was released in '89}. Anyhow, my friend met his newspaper girl....and I met my future wife. I can still remember being nervous sitting next to her and watching John Candy driving that blowed-up car and hearing Tone Loc's music blaring from the theater speakers. And to Amanda, Trust me, If I'd known What I Know Today, I'd Have Taken A Sip Of The Mountain Dew. Hee Hee.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Do you really need a review?
grendelkhan16 October 2012
I doubt another review is really necessary; but, hey, I have an ego to feed. Uncle Buck is another in the line of John Hughes family comedies that dominated the 80s and early 90s. They are all pretty much the same; precocious kids, clueless parents, wacky outsiders, etc, etc. However, Uncle Buck rises above due to John Candy's wonderful performance, ably assisted by young Macaulay Culkin (and a few others). The film has a wonderful cast, with Amy Madigan and Lori Metcalfe adding some character touches, and a nice cast of talented (and cute) kids.

Candy plays Buck Russell, black sheep of the family, who comes to the aid of his desperate brother. His father-in-law has had a heart attack and they need someone to watch the kids while they travel to be with him. The family already has a strained relationship, with oldest daughter Tia at odds with everyone, but especially her mother. Buck may be a screwup, but he's there when family calls.

Candy has a great rapport with the young actors and much chaos and silliness ensues. The height is the well documented (in the trailer) scene of Culkin and Candy, in their take on the classic Dragnet back and forth. However, the film reaches beyond just the cute moments, with Buck trying to bond with Tia, the only one of the children he has a history with. Nothing he does seems to please her; but that doesn't mean he isn't afraid to call her on her BS and bad attitude. His tough love actually starts getting to her, though it takes a while to finally get through.

In the end, Buck matures from the responsibility of caring for the kids, while they have a great time with their "black sheep" uncle. Tia mends fences and Buck moves into a new area of his relationship.

The film has many great scenes and has a fine story, even if it is predictable from the opening credits. Much like a Frank Capra film, you know how things will turn out; but, the cast are talented enough to get you to set that aside and enjoy the film.

Uncle Buck demonstrates what a tragic loss John Candy's death brought to comedy, and how Macaulay Culkin's issues sidelined a talented actor. Still, it draws you into its little fantasy world and entertains you while you're there. Definitely one for everyone.
Candy is candy
csauer20 February 2006
When we lost John Candy we lost a friend. I enjoyed all of his movies as I think I saw most of them. Uncle Buck probably his best. Tia (his niece) does'nt hate him because he's Unkle Buck, she hates him because he represents authority. She is young and rebellious as most fifteen year old teens are. Miles and Masie love him out of the get go because they see him for what he is, a big loving teddy-bear. When at the bowling ally when Buck chases Pal away the ice starts to melt as Tia starts to realize Buck is not out to get her but to protect her. Buck had to tell Tia a bit about the birds and the bees. Where was her father all her life? Anyway this movie has a lot of laughs a few tears trust and love. At the end in the scene when Tia's mother comes into the house and Tea and her embrace just about rips one's heart out. Happy ending? Why not? Don't rent it, buy it and be done with it.
A Beautiful Film About Family and Teen Choices
indiewastelander26 July 2001
I love this movie. John Hughes is brilliant. John Candy shines. The plot

was perfect and the movie turned out great. Jean Louisa Kelly is perfect

for the girl going through decisions on teen sex. And seeing little

Macaulay Culkin before Home Alone and his fame made him a good start.

And before Now and Then and 200 Cigerettes, little Gaby Hoffmann is so

adorable. The little ones were my favorite characters. And the scene

where Miles (Culkin) was asking Buck (Candy) all of the personal

questions was one touching and entertaining scene. This movie was more

of a drama than a comedy once you get the feeling. Everyone should love

this movi
A fun movie
Navia22 December 2000
Culkin is just irresistible in this movie... perfect timing and chemistry with the cast. Uncle Buck is a reminder that John Candy is sorely missed. This is one of my favorites, just because it's light, funny and warm. If you haven't seen it, pick it up at the video store and if you have seen it, see it again...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Buck Melanoma, Moley Russell's Wart'
Shawn Watson20 February 2011
John Candy is Buck Russell, a character very similar to Del Griffith from Planes, Trains & Automobiles. It's not surprising since John Hughes is the writer, producer and director of both films. Buck is a simple man with simple pleasures. He likes his freedom, his leisure time, and his bowling. He has a girlfriend who desperately wants him to grow up but...he can't be bothered.

But when Buck is called to the wintry, affluent suburbs to look after his brother's kids for a couple of weeks (much to his sister-in-law's horror) he learns what it's like to be a responsible adult and does surprisingly well with his extended babysitting chore (in his own unique way).

Uncle Buck was Candy's fourth (of five) collaboration with Hughes and the role is clearly tailor-made for him. He may be a slob, and the underdog, but he's the kind of relative you'll all wish you had. The comedy is underplayed and quiet, and the drama involving without being overbearing. It's all just easy-going entertainment that's perfect for brightening up a dull afternoon, and yet another reminder that Hollywood lost someone very special in March 1994.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent Hughes, Decent Candy
fruktflugan2 May 2011
A decent John Candy movie and a decent John Hughes movie but does not really find a good niche for itself. The movie is very uneven, sometimes the jokes are too adult and sometimes they are too childish. I would hesitate letting my kids watch this all the way through, but at the same time about 40% of the jokes are obviously made for children.

So... It is hard to pigeonhole this. If you are an adult that can stand some humor in this being very low brow and adolescent -plus- have a thing for John Hughes or John Candy-movies then this film probably will satisfy some centra in your brain.

Decent film that suffers on some levels. All in all enjoyable.

6/10 from me.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One For The Family To Enjoy
eric26200317 November 2014
"Uncle Buck" is a wholesome family film that was written and directed by the late John Hughes who steps out of his parameters of teen comedies and casts John Candy as the bumbling but lovable slob named Uncle Buck who reluctantly but graciously watched over his brother's three children while he and his wife (Garrett M. Brown and Elaine Bromka) go to Indianapolis to attend her sick father. Uncle Buck has found the approval of the two younger siblings Miles and Maizy (Macaulay Culkin and Gabby Hoffmann), but is in a battle zone with his eternally bitter and moody oldest niece Tia (Jean Louisa Kelly). She's the typical rebellious teenager who's going through this stage in her life where she wants to be independent and doesn't want any adult rob her of her happiness let alone Uncle Buck and is in a relationship with an obnoxious punk named Bug (Jay Underwood).

This was the pinnacle film for Macaulay Culkin who would later become the top grossing kids star from 1989 to 1994 when his bravado faded out. One of his moments was when he started trivializing Buck with personal questions and Buck responds with quick, passive-aggressive responses, which ends with hims saying, "I'm a kid, that's my job." Gabby Hoffmann has also went on a subtle movie career after this including her affectionate performance in the Kevin Costner vehicle "Field of Dreams", she also was very charming as the equally intelligent youngest child Maizy Russell.

The two characters that truly are the centrepiece of this film is the performances of John Candy and Jean Louisa Kelly who plays the angered Tia. One of the remarkable things about Buck is that he can understand her psyche that seems rather blind to her parents. He also strangely knows what's going on the the cranium of her boyfriend Bug. When he tells Tia that Bug is just using her for some intercourse, he tells her that Bug was the character that Buck was at one time. He's never afraid to humiliate Tia any way possible even in front of her friends just to make his point clear. By the end of the movie, she learns her ways and realizes that he's not as dumb as he looks and she also tries to repair his estranged relationship with his girlfriend who sells tires Chanice (Amy Madigan).

Buck also seems to provide more entertainment to the younger kids which is more than their parents could provide for them including having a pancake feast to celebrate Miles' birthday. He also confronts a drunken clown who can barely raise his fingers to reach the door knob. Buck can multitask and handle any problem with the snap of his fingers. John Candy was a brilliant comic actor. Even when he becomes snarky, he's still lovable like a teddy bear. He even had that certain edge to him like other great clowns reminiscent to the silent film era. When he's verbally abused you just want to hug him like a teddy bear. Even when he can't finish telephone conversation only John Candy could pull something like that off.

Uncle Buck is a caricature taken from the penmanship of Mr. Hughes and combined with a warm heart and funny dialogue, you can't help but adore the lovable charm that Uncle Buck provides. He will stop at nothing to defend his family's honour including a memorable scene where Buck goes to Maizy's school and confronts her principal who sports an ugly mole on her chin. When she tells Buck that Maizy isn't at the same pace as her other students, he retorts back at her and ends by telling her to get a rat to gnaw off that ugly mole off her face.

As the 1980's were coming to a close, "Uncle Buck" was a memorable John Hughes film. It also carried a character that comes closet to the real character that the late John Candy was. It also made Macaulay Culkin the most watchable child actor of the 1990's. Other notable performances are from Amy Madigan and Laurie Metcalf. The character Uncle Buck himself can be a real person to. If you have an Uncle Buck in your family, consider yourselves as one of the lucky ones.
A good family comedy
Ross62217 July 2014
John Hughes' Uncle Buck is a heartwarming family comedy about a father whose father in-law had a heart attack and they have to get to Indianapolis as soon as possible but curious to find out who is going to watch their kids Tia (Jean Louisa-Kelly), Miles (Macaulay Culkin), and Maizy (Gaby Hoffman) while they're gone, and the man who watches them is his brother Buck (played by John Candy in a sensationally funny performance.). Hughes' comedic genius is undeniable, along with the drama in this movie. Not only it is a good comedy but another thing that John Hughes proves in this movie is that how stupid teenagers can be, and how valuable spending time with family members you don't remember or have never met can really be instead instead of spending time with teenage losers of which Tia used to consider friends.
Good stuff
SanteeFats27 June 2013
John Candy, rest his soul, plays an understated role here. He is funny as usual but low keyed about it. His portrayal of Uncle Buck, the untrustworthy, unreliable, black sheep of the family I thought was excellent. When a family emergency comes up Uncle Buck is the only available person to watch the two kids as the parents must leave. He ends up teaching the rebellious teenage daughter a few things about life and rescues her from a tight situation, causing her to reevaluate her Uncle Buck. The young brother is at times an adversary and at others an ally. So to some it up all ends well and when the parents return expecting a disaster they find everything is okay.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is a movie to watch again and again
roy-c13 January 2013
Very surprised that the rating is currently languishing below 7. It's so enjoyable

John Candy is great in this one - you're just rooting for him all the way. He plays the part of the lovable slob, who may not always make the best decisions for himself, but is remarkably shrewd when it comes to other people

Good family entertainment and is a great advert for Uncles (and Aunts too of course) to take a greater role on helping their young relatives find their way in the world

Feel good - yes!
"Good Comedy!"
gwnightscream25 July 2012
John Candy, Amy Madigan, Jean Louisa Kelly, Macaulay Culkin, Gaby Hoffmann, Jay Underwood and Laurie Metcalf star in John Hughes' 1989 comedy. Buck Russell (Candy) is a mild-mannered, out of work guy who is asked to help watch his nieces, Tia (Kelly), Maizy (Hoffmann) and nephew, Miles (Culkin) during a family crisis. At first, He gets into mishaps and doesn't get along with Tia, but after a while things get better. Madigan (Field of Dreams) plays Buck's girlfriend, Chanice, Underwood (The Boy Who Could Fly) plays Tia's no good boyfriend, Bug and Metcalf (Roseanne) plays next-door neighbor, Marcy. This is a good comedy that's one of Candy's best I recommend.