Steel Magnolias (1989) Poster

Laugh Till you Cry...
Isaac585530 November 2005
Another movie that is part of my permanent video collection and never get tired of watching, STEEL MAGNOLIAS is the beautifully expanded version of Robert Harling's play about the relationship between six women who frequent the same beauty parlor. I am pretty sure the first phrase that comes to mind for most people when this film is mentioned is "Chick Flick", but, as a male, I happily admit to loving to watch this movie over and over again, not just because of the six charismatic performances by the actresses, but because this film also has one of the funniest screenplays ever written. Claree: "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize." Truvy: "Ruth Robeline...now there's a story...her whole life has been an experiment in terror...first her husband was killed in WWII and then her son was killed in Vietnam... I tell you, when it comes to suffering, she's right up there with Elizbeth Taylor." Claree: "well, you always know what I say...if you can't think anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me." Ouiser: "I'm not crazy...I've just been in a bad mood for the last thirty years." And just when you think your sides about to split open from laughing so hard, the film takes a tragic turn and you're reaching for the Kleenex. The scene in the cemetery is riveting, thanks primarily to a flawless and raw performance by Sally Field, who climaxes what is already a beautiful and commanding performance in the film, with her rage against God as her only outlet of grief at the moment. This scene makes me cry every time I watch the movie. An appeal to the gentlemen out there who have never seen this movie: Give it a chance. I did and I have never regretted it.
83 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Based On A Real Life Incident
Lechuguilla23 April 2005
This film is worth watching for two reasons. First, it is based on a tragic, real life event. As such, an enhanced credibility sustains the film's underlying premise, and thus renders a much greater potential for viewer impact and depth of meaning, as opposed to a work of fiction. Second, quite aside from its autobiographical roots, the film has entertainment value, expressed mostly as snappy, funny dialogue, delivered competently by an ensemble cast of likable actresses. Attention to detail in costumes and production design, and adroit film editing, further amplify the film's overall technical quality.

"Steel Magnolias" is a story about the close knit relationships between six ordinary Southern women, living in a small town in Louisiana. The film has a homespun, unpretentious feel to it, rather like "Fried Green Tomatoes".

The plot alternates between humorous, small, everyday events and good-natured quips, on the one hand ... and on the other hand, the seriousness and heartache attendant to life's unexpected crises. Through the laughs and tears, the six women learn to endure hard times, and thus emerge from their struggles with grace and dignity.

Finding something to criticize here is not easy. I can think of several changes that I would have made, to satisfy my own personal preferences. But the film is solid and substantial, as is. I suppose one could zero in on the acting. A couple of the cast members overact their parts, at some point or another in the film.

Overall, "Steel Magnolias" is technically well made. And the content engages our interest, as a result of its true-to-life theme, its all star cast, and some very clever dialogue.
63 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Southern Charm served on a Movie Reel
Falcon-5111 March 2000
O.K. The film is labeled a "Chick Flick" and it is, but there is no reason a guy couldn't enjoy it. I'm a guy and I found it quite enjoyable. With strong performances by everyone and a wonderfully written script, both hilarious and heart wrenching. The cast is completely star studded. First Sally Field plays M'Lynn Eatenton a southern mom with a golden heart. Dolly Parton plays Truvy Jones owner of the local beauty salon and favorite gossip hang out for the women of the film. Shirley MacLaine plays Ouiser Boudreaux the woman you love to hate whom proclaims herself richer than God. Daryl Hannah plays Annelle Dupuy Desoto the shy girl hired by Truvy because of her wonderful work on hair. Olympia Dukakis plays Clairee Belcher a wonderful southern charmer and one of the thorns in Ouiser's side. Julia Roberts plays Shelby Eatenton Latcherie the central character of the film that is plagued with medical problems. Tom Skerritt plays Drum Eatenton, husband of M'Lynn Eatenton. Also there are a couple of smaller parts played by Sam Shepard and Dylan McDermott.

One of the many funny moments in the film occurs when Drum (Skerritt) ask Ouiser for a slice of wedding cake that is shaped like an Armadillo. Drum asks: Ouiser, can we call a truce long enough for me to get a piece of cake? (Ouiser slices him off the tail section) to which Drum replies: Thanks Ouiser, nothing like a good piece of ass!

Sally Feilds performance as the woman letting loose during the cemetery scene seems like Oscar material, but she does not even receive a nomination. Julia Roberts however does receive a nomination but does not win. She does manage to take home a Golden Globe for best actress in a supporting role. As I said before there were some great performances by all the ladies. So "Chick Flick" or not I think many guy's will also enjoy this film.
55 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The flavor of the South
PeachHamBeach25 October 1999
Every time I see this movie, I want to eat a plateful of jambalaya and smell the sweet aroma of a magnolia. No other movie I've seen quite captures the essense of southern living like Steel Magnolias. This movie has everything, hysterical comedy and satisfying drama. Everyone was great: Sally Field as M'Lynn, a mother who still worries about her very grown up daughter; Julia Roberts as Shelby, a special young woman who feels that having a baby is worth risking everything; Dolly Parton as Truvy, a lonely beautician who brightens like a light bulb when her little shop is full of "hens" : ) ; Olympia Dukkakis as Clairee, the town bigwig who loves to gossip; Daryl Hannah as Annelle, a very religious young woman who drives her friends crazy with her sudden fits of prayer; and of course who can forget Shirley McLaine as Ouiser, the grouchy old wretch who tows her pathetic dog around and mercilessly cusses out the equally obnoxious Drum (Tom Skerrit)??? A very satisfying movie for comedy and drama lovers alike. A totally feel good, yet very real movie.
51 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably my favorite movie...
Pookyiscute8 April 2006
Although there are several films that I would rank in the top ten best of all time, this is probably my favorite, and is a good past time to watch that never lets me down. As many times as I've seen this film (and it's a lot), it never fails me; with tears, laughter and excellent acting and reality. Julia Roberts, as I recall was nominated for her portrayal as a young woman with diabetes, and in my opinion, should have won for this and not for "Erin Brockovich". But, the real gem and overlooked one in the movie is Sally Field. This is by far and away, her best role and performance she ever snagged, and nailed, and I rank her performance in this as one of my top five best performances in motion picture history of all time.

All the characters and performances in this are excellent, including one such, by Daryl Hannah, who I don't care for, but love in this movie. In fact, her character Anell, is the only role I've ever liked her in, and applaud her work in it.

Among the cast there are very few men, but my favorite is Tom Skerrit, who plays Sally Field's husband, and father to Julia Robert. Shirley MaClain, Olympia Dukakis, and Dolly Parton are the other three co-stars, that follow behind the three previous, and all make their characters unique.

The basis of the film, is a beauty parlor, and although it might sound hokey, it's really not. Some might call it a chick flick, but I have to say that I know men have even gotten teary-eyed from this film. It's wonderfully directed, only in that, it makes you feel apart of the never ending friendship that's between this group of women. The experiences that they have and the trials and tribulations they go through. Although not the whole movie is set in the hair salon, a good portion of the film is, but it is done in just the right amount, and is written very well.

I recommend it for girls of all ages, and men who want to impress their girlfriends with a great flick for a Friday night. It is one of the best films of all time, and if for no other reason, you should watch this merely to see the performance Sally Field gives, because it is amazing.
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Six sympathetic magnolias bend but don't break
roghache9 March 2006
This wonderful comedy drama romance tells the tale of a close knit group of six Southern women (of varying ages) in a small Louisiana town. The film gives us a glimpse into their daily lives over a period of several years, their laughter, their joy, and their tears, all through the lens of their enduring friendship.

Here are the six magnolias...

M'Lynne (Sally Field)...perhaps the steeliest of all the magnolias, who has a bittersweet relationship with her grown daughter

Shelby (Julia Roberts)...everyone's favorite girl next door, M'Lynne's endearing, diabetic daughter; we see her planning her very pink wedding (wait till you see the groom's cake!) and charting a difficult path, given her medical history

Truvy (Dolly Parton)...the married but lonely hairdresser with the heart of gold, who owns and operates Trudy's Beauty Parlor, center of social life for these ladies, site of gossip, teasing quips, and comfort

Ouisser (Shirley MacLaine)...the sarcastic spinster and cantankerous comic relief who is frequently seen carting her little dog around and exchanging barbs with her Old Nemesis, M'Lynne's husband, Drum

Clairee (Olympia Dukakis)...the charming, gossiping widow and town bigwig

Annelle (Daryl Hannah)...the shy, awkward new girl in town, who has a mysterious past and lands a job at the beauty parlor, under Truvy's mentoring

Through these six, we see the strength that lies behind the legendary Southern lady's charm (well, maybe Ouisser's not that charming!) and supposed flower fragility, their humor, their optimism, their faith, and above all, their banding together and supporting each other in the face of adversity.

I understand that this movie is based on a well known play by a famous Louisiana playwright. The women depicted in the film are by and large good Christian, church going folk, which is laudable. My initial reaction was to blame Hollywood for mocking Annelle's newfound deep faith and having her act as though she hadn't a clue in her dim witted Southern head. The playwright may have intended to cast her as going overboard and being too judgmental. If so, I personally don't consider this a kind or necessary depiction, and find Annelle to be very sincere and kind hearted.

However, otherwise this is simply a "funny tearjerker" and a great movie.
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best movies I have ever seen!
dvmunchkin19 June 2005
I have always loved this movie. My mom and I watch it all the time and never get sick of it. It also never fails to make me both laugh and cry. It's amazing how real it is. I cannot relate to the events or the whole southern aspect to it, yet the movie is still easy to connect with. That is not only due to the incredible writing, but the acting is phenomenal. The characters feel so real. I have a hard time picking who I like best because everyone is so incredible in their own way. Even the more minor characters. But like I said, the impeccable writing is impossible to ignore. My mom and I can't seem to stop quoting it to each other. Although, yes, it is a chick flick, it is actually a good one. It's meaningful and powerful. And it's always nice to see a movie about women that does not revolve around them trying to get a man. I can't think of anything that is wrong in this movie. I really can't find a flaw. Every women, adolescents and on, should see this movie. I love it!
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some Interesting Southern Ladies
theowinthrop14 May 2008
Based on Robert Harling's screenplay from his own play, STEEL MAGNOLIAS is one of those films that remind us that the average Southern lady is not a fading flower type like say Blanche Dubois, but more like a strong willed Scarlet O'Hara. It is an irony that both those seminal film parts were played by the same actress (Vivienne Leigh) for they color the image of southern womanhood we have - except that Leigh's Scarlet is actually totally ruthless: far more so than we are willing to tolerate. Yet if one recalls, Scarlet witnesses the destruction of her family and way of life with the Civil War, and her ruthless streak is strengthened by her experiences. We may not be able to tolerate a real Scarlet, but a watered down one is possible.

In STEEL MAGNOLIAS the story deals with six southern ladies and the men in their lives. Sally Fields is married to Tom Skerritt. They have two sons and a daughter (Julia Roberts). As the film starts we watch the preparations of the marriage of Roberts to her lover (Dylan McDermott). Among the guests are the local beautician (Dolly Parton) and her husband (Sam Shepard) and her new assistance (Darryl Hannah), and two wealthy townswomen (Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine), Each of these women are strong types - Parton is very friendly but she is a hard working woman and a support to Shepard (who is worried about his business); Hannah is coming out of a shattered relationship with an undesirable lover; Dukakis is the widow of the town's richest man and mayor - and is fun loving; her closest friend is MacLaine who has had two failed marriages and three kids who she says are ingrates - she is the town's sharpest tongued person. The six intermingle throughout the film, centering most of the action on the deadly problem of Roberts life and marriage - she is a serious diabetic, and should not have children but insists on having a baby because she wants to be a mother.

The film swings well between the comic segments frequently handled by the banter between Dukakis and MacLaine, with the born again religiosity of Hannah (much to the despair of her new boy friend/husband (Kevin J. O'Connor)) as added spice, and Tom Skerritt's occasional collisions with MacLaine also adding to the fun. But there is the growing tragedy of Roberts' health and the effect of it on her mother Fields. All the ladies are strong, and all equally fragile in their ways (particularly where family or their men are involved). It all works well as we see the events unfold over four years. The film is a good example of ensemble acting, and for a change the emphasis is on the female actresses rather than male ones. A nice reminder of how independent and strong those southern ladies really are...bless 'em!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie pulled at my heartstrings!
songbirds-3136216 April 2020
Such a wonderfully funny, happy, and sad movie all rolled into one! The part that touched my heart the most was the way the mother (Sally Field) was so spiritually connected and in-tune with her daughter (Julia Roberts) and then later on, with her grandchild. It was as if she could read their minds and literally feel their emotions and like their thoughts were the most important things in the entire world to her. It's how I feel about my children.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch this while your wrapping your christmas presents !
pugsley684 April 2002
The ultimate feel-good movie. Guaranteed to make you feel better. Some cracking one-liners, love Shirley Maclaine declaring that she's just been in a bad mood for 40 years. Watch this at Christmas !
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 'Chick Flick' Men Can Enjoy, Too!
cariart21 August 2003
With Julia Roberts the superstar she is today, it's an excellent time to enjoy the film that contains her best performance, Steel Magnolias.

As the doomed but optimistic daughter of Sally Field and Tom Skerrit, she holds her own in a cast of movie divas, including Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Dolly Parton, and (in her best film work, as well), Darryl Hannah.

The film is basically a warm, upbeat character study of a group of women friends, played out in a beautiful Louisiana bayou town. The story begins with Roberts' wedding, then carries on through the ups and downs of the friends' lives. The men in the story are secondary characters, and occasionally come across as a bit selfish (Roberts' husband), or buffoons (Hannah's boyfriend), yet one of the joys of this movie is that you come to love the women so much, you don't mind the men's shortcomings, and start liking them, too!

The standout performances of the film are from Roberts, and MacLaine, as a spinster with a sarcastic tongue, and, ultimately, a heart of gold. Her scenes with Dukakis are hilarious, yet full of the warmth that makes this film so special!

A couple of things usually overlooked, but worth mentioning; the enchanting film score (I wish the soundtrack would be re-released!), and a bit part by Janine Turner, before 'Northern Exposure' made her a star.

This is a very special film, for both Roberts' fans, and anyone who wants to believe in the healing powers of friendship. Yes, this film can be defined as a 'chick flick', but guys, you'll end up enjoying it, too!
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flawed But Extremely Entertaining Mixture of Comedy and Drama
gftbiloxi2 October 2005
An extremely episodic story of several smalltown southern women whose social lives revolve around meetings in the local beauty parlor, STEEL MAGNOLIAS' script and performances are dogged by an aura of artificiality--but it scarcely matters, for the film is a tremendous amount of fun.

Some of the performances are more successful than others, with Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts, and Darryl Hannah coming out on top (I am greatly surprised that so many other reviewers dislike Hannah's performance, which seems to me considerably less artificial than many others--but perhaps since I'm actually Southern I have a different perspective). Sally Fields and Dolly Parton are less successful, but not in any sense that actually distracts from the fun. Perhaps most surprising in a film which focuses on women are the brief but impressive performances from the male supporting cast, which includes effective performances by Tom Skerrit, Sam Shepherd, and Dylan McDermott, and which serve to ground the film with a sense of the broader community in which the women live.

The script abounds in zinging one-liners ("If you can't say something nice, come sit by me!") and often hilarious situations (imagine Olympia Dukakis surrounded by naked men in the highschool football team's locker room); it also contains some very touching segments sure to choke up all but the most heartless viewer. And although the story is extremely manipulative and rather predictable, those factors don't actually get in the way of its effectiveness. While probably not a "great film" by any serious standard, it is tremendously good-natured, well-intended, and extremely entertaining, and most people will find that it lingers pleasantly in mind and holds up well under repeated viewings.

Gary F. Taylor, aka GFT, Amazon Reviewer
34 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Diabetic's Sweet Treat
AlanSKaufman2 February 2006
Please forgive the cuteness of my title, "A Diabetic's Sweet Treat", by allowing me to demonstrate why it encapsulates the message of Steel Magnolias.

Twenty five minutes into the movie, earlier comedic moments turned into horror as I watched Shelby shaking uncontrollably in the beauty shop chair, resisting those attempting to help her. The scene was terribly accurate, reflecting my personal experience under insulin shock. Introspective though I am, I find it arduous to describe one's feelings in that dire situation, but as a picture is worth a thousand words, Julia Roberts' dramatic performance is priceless in conveying the diabetic's plight.

The director's DVD commentary reveals how he wanted the actors in this pivotal sequence to appear upbeat despite their characters fearing Shelby's wedding might endanger her fragile health: everyone was supposed to be hoping otherwise. But the mechanics of filming this emotional mixture proved incredibly difficult and after countless takes, the cast began feeling anxious, unintentionally adding the necessary realistic undercurrent.

This upbeat anxiety promotes a saccharine quality to life instead of a natural sweetness, similar to consuming sugarless and tasteless low fat stuff to maintain a healthy diet. So Sally Field as Shelby's mother M'Lynn conceals an anger with God that bad things happen to good people. Daryl Hannah as Annelle prays to Jesus by rote. Ouiser, played by Shirley MacLaine, behaves obnoxiously, frustrated by her failures with men. Dolly Parton as Truvy avoids loneliness by busily working. Olympia Dukakis as the grieving widow Clairee gossips and spars with Ouiser. All find focus on Shelby, who has the toughest journey.

A fascinating paradox is that conventional movie flaws don't detract from this film. Some events are boring, some characters exaggerated, some situations underdeveloped. But these are real life occurrences. Based on a true story, Steel Magnolias blooms with authenticity. Unlike a documentary, we're spared the technical medical details, and we're given no answers to the psychological, philosophical, and theological quandaries posed. Leave that to medical journals or Bible classes.

What we're offered by Shelby is a model for life. At the point she has her beautiful flowing hair cut short to make things "simple", you know something really bad is afoot. Rather than feel sorry for herself, she faces what life offers and makes the best of it. Ironically, as a diabetic, she's the sweetest person. Slowly but surely, the others discover that if you cheat a bit by not eating the right food, by not praying enough, or by letting your hair down socially, you'll fare better in this short tough life. Most importantly, support your fellow human beings and they'll support you.

So you see, my title is appropriately cute, inasmuch as Steel Magnolias serves everybody, including diabetics, a sweet treat!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An immersive experience into the heart and soul of the Southern U.S. in the late 1980s
ReviewingHistory2 August 2020
An immersive experience into the heart and the soul of a small-town community in the South of the United States. Portraying the lives of women, their struggles and the kitsch of their quotidian lives, Steel Magnolias gives viewers a "day in the life" of Shelby (Julia Roberts) and her mother M'Lynn (Sally Field), while also expressing the small-town talks and quirks of others. This is an informative, entertaining and funny film of special interest to viewers curious about the uniqueness and character of the Louisiana and Southern American spirit. Finally, themes of love and newness, of loss and death, and of family ties and commitments are explored with a full-range of emotions, from the tragic to the redemptive. A worthwhile family experience.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laugh. Cry. Repeat.
TTTKATF4 August 2019
This film is a rollercoaster of laughter and tears as the bittersweet of life is made a bit sweeter through the support of friendship.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect treasure! Delightful mix of comedy and a tearjerker!
UniqueParticle20 May 2019
Got to see a 30th anniversary fathom event screening in theaters which was so lovely for my first time. The auditorium was packed mostly with women which was an interesting experience realizing it's a chick flick in a way. I laughed, I even cried probably among the few films to have a powerful effect on me. Excellent cast of glorious characters that acted so well & written so well; loved every bit of this sweet warm experience!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inside a small circle of friends.
dbdumonteil31 August 2003
"Steel magnolias" is a chronicle of a small circle of friends .The actresses get the lion's share ,which has become unusual ;that alone is cause for celebration,mainly when the cast includes a grumpy sullen Shirley McLaine who overplays as hell,Sally -never without my daughter-Field,A holier-than- thou but good -hearted Daryl Hannah wearing horrible glasses ,a very young Julia Roberts who was more endearing than she is now in such parts as "Brockovich" and of course Dolly Parton -too bad she does not sing-.

The dramatic plot -Shelby's illness- is kept to the minimum,at least in the first hour.Then when the tragedy strikes,Herbert Ross avoids pathos and melodrama (it's not the return of Douglas Sirk).And the last scene is wonderful,Easter meaning a renaissance .As usual,Georges Delerue's score superbly enhances the film :he's so good a musician that even when the movie bores you (Godard's "le mépris" for instance,as far as I'm concerned),his tuneful work survives.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is based on a true story!
BreanneB4 June 2005
This is an excellent movie, one of my favorites. It is also based on a true story. Robert Harling, the playwright, who wrote the play had a sister who had diabetes. Her's was just like Shelby's. It was very serious and having a child was life-threatening. However, though she went right ahead and had one anyway because she was afraid she would be denied one through adoption. Susan was her real name. He wrote the play for her of course. It was so good that it was turned into a movie. I have the DVD of it. I used to rent all the time before I got it. I love Julia Roberts, and all the others. Kudos to the filmmakers, cast and crew. Two Thumbs Way Up!
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Barbershop Sextet
writers_reign9 June 2012
Difficult to find fault with this feel good chick flick. Even Shirley MacLaine can't louse it up but it is a young Julia Roberts who crawls away with it despite strong competition from Olympia Dukakis and Sally Field. I was fortunate enough to see the play before I saw the movie, albeit an English production of an American play set in the Deep South which meant it had two strikes on it going in but the quality of the writing overcame that handicap and is evident in this fine adaptation. Friendship is the theme that runs through it and the fact that in this case it is female friendship is more or less irrelevant. There's a nice symmetry in that it begins with the wedding of the Roberts character and ends, to all intents and purposes, with her premature death following a kidney transplant. Films about the South tend to get it wrong as often as they get it right but when they do get it right, as in To Kill A Mockingbird and this one, they really get it right. A winner.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reveals how society has changed.
bokyukang18 August 2020
This movie brought me back into a society with less loneliness, fake smile, fake niceness, political correctness, etc. A freedom to express one's own feelings whether it's a good or bad one. When people wore more genuine masks. When people didn't have fancy dreams of becoming billionaires with material wealth and disregard the rest. When people valued families, relationships more. You feel more secure and connected because of the community.

Something happened in the past 30 years, and we no longer have all of these. This movie tells us what's really important in life and what's lost.
Great Movie!
adventure-2190318 May 2020
Ray Stark thru his RASTAR production company brought this film to the screen. As an army combat veteran I am not "supposed" to like this "women" moovie but as a fan of great acting I found this a fine movie.

I live in Louisiana and this movie was filmed in northern Louisiana with all its historic charming customs. Julia Roberts is superb and so are the 'steel magnolias' of Shirley MacLaine, Dolly Martin, Sally Field and Olympia Dukakis. By my count there are 4 Oscar winners: Field, Roberts, MacLaine and Dukakis

The death of a Child is wrenching ( I lost my 12 year old grandson to brain cancer) so maybe why I feel under the spell of this movie. Hurrah for the men in this movie Sam Shepard, Dylan McDermott Kevin O Connor and a great character actor Tom Skerritt.

Every great movie as a great finale and the Easter egg Hunt develops into a race to a hospital for a new baby to be born and to see via aerial shot the young dad still dressed as the Easter Bunny riding on the back of his buddy's motorcycle is priceless.

The music in this film is great and its great theme song beautiful
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three-hanky special, but with lots of laughs, too.
robfollower25 August 2019
I cannot find the right words to describe this film. Amazing just does not give it enough credit. It made me laugh and it made me cry. Fabulous performances by the entire cast, Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis, Shirley MacLaine, Dolly Parton , Daryl Hannah & Julia Roberts Dolly really stepped up their game. A timeless classic depicting the love of friends, family, and even enemies. Everyone should see this movie.
A cult classic!!!
dockerykelli27 June 2019
Steel Magnolias is such a wonderful film with a marvelous cast and storyline. It has love, laughter and heartache. But wraps it all up beautifully!!
Character flaw
caladon21 October 2003
As much as I enjoyed watching this film and reading the reviews; I'd like to comment on one aspect of the film that I haven't seen touched upon. The character of Shelby is meant to be portrayed as an optimistic, strong willed individual, determined to buck the odds to have the baby she longs to have. However, I can't help but see the character as incredibly selfish. Even though she knows that going through a pregnancy will put undo strain on her weakened system and potentially threaten and shorten her life, she resolves to get pregnant anyway; just so she can have a baby. Apparently she hasn't given a thought to either the child or her husband for that matter. She intentionally puts her husband in the position of probably losing his wife and raising a child as a single parent and whatever child she has, of losing its mother. Not exactly the behavior of someone who has a child's best interest in mind. All the character illustrated was that her husband was just a means to an end.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thoroughly decent drama with an all-star cast
smatysia21 May 2019
A thoroughly decent drama with an all-star cast. While none of the male characters were fleshed out, that simply wasn't the focus of the movie, and I understand that in the source play, none of them ever appeared on-stage. The women were all very strong, if sometimes foolish, and the acting was first-rate. Nice photography of Natchitoches.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.