Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989) Poster

The Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made
secretbison26 August 2004
No, really. Sinbad is easily more entertaining than Plan 9 from Outer Space, which is more commonly considered the best bad movie ever.

I won't give away all the details that make this movie so laughably awful, but I'll mention a few that I hope will convince you to find and watch this film. (You can read a more comprehensive review at www.rinkworks.com/badmovie/m/sinbad.of.the.seven.seas.1989.shtml)

John Steiner hammimg up the role of Jaffar, the villain. In particular, he exclaims one two-letter word that must be heard to be believed. You'll know which one I mean when you hear it.

All the music is done by one guy on a synthesizer, a total of about five different sound effects are used in all the fight scenes, and all the lines are DUBBED OVER. It seems the filmmakers didn't have the ability to record live sound on the set.

All action scenes are done in slow motion, and this is made painfully obvious by Lou Ferrigno's flapping, overgrown, oiled man-pecs.

However, all these shortcomings pale in comparison to the dialogue. I'll conclude with a snippet:

Sinbad: Wait a minute. There's nobody here.

Poochie the Dwarf: There's nobody here.

Sinbad: I just said that. That's the point.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sinbad smash!!!!
FlashCallahan21 February 2015

His journey takes him to the isle of the Amazons where the queen tries to capture him, to a battle with ghost warriors on the isle of the dead, and ultimately to a battle with his own double.....

You know your in good company when the Cannon group logo appears for a film, and much like every film released by them, good or bad, you know what you are going to get, thanks to the title, and knowing that the only actor in this film you have heard of is Ferrigno.

Yes, the film is all kinds if bad, from the script, to the choreography, the awful acting and overacting of the cast, its a poor film.

But it's never boring, not for one minute.

When Sinbad escapes from a dungeon using deadly snakes as a rope, you give up all hope of watching a movie in the vein of the Harryhausen classics, and settle for men in very bad costumes.

Ferrigno, buff as he is, has no screen presence whatsoever. His lines are delivered flatly, and he has the same look on his face throughout the whole movie. His little speech to the animatronic, or finger puppet reptiles, is the single most funniest part of the film.

And I've not even mentioned the rock monster who tries to kill our hero by hugging him.

So, now we know, and probably the studio also knew that Ferrigno is the cheap Schwarzeneggar, who's great idea was it to have him fight himself at the end?

Even though I hadn't eaten all day, I felt stuffed at the end of this epic battle because of all the ham on screen.

Jafar has to be seen to be believed, he is brilliant because he is so over the top, but its impossible to describe his part.

All in all its a terrible film, but any aspiring filmmaker needs to see it, so you never make the same mistake..
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilariously Awful
constructionbob23 July 1999
An incredibly fun, incredibly bad movie. Definitely recommended for any fans of bad cinema, this movie has it all. Plastic props, horrendous dialogue, plot holes galore, sophomoric special effects. Lou Ferrigno (Hulk!) throws his sword away and wrestles with bad guys, in sloooooow motion action sequences that will have you yawning in anticipation. Hats off to John Steiner as the EVIL Jaffar-his hammy overacting steals every scene he's in. Listen especially for the scene where he's discussing his plans with the princess in the tower. Just when you think he's done, he lets out this uproarious "Ha!" that's so random, you won't know what hit you! I was laughing for minutes-then for hours afterward, just from remembering this one line. Definitely one of the highlights of modern cinema-see this movie! 2/10, both points for the awesome performance of Jaffar.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is hilarious!
2&29 April 2000
One of my favorite comedies, although it's not supposed to be one. So incredibly bad, it's amazing! Some of the stupidest dialogue ever, and some ridiculous fight scenes. Lou Ferrigno is a joy to watch, especially his hilarious facial expressions. Watch this movie with a bunch of friends, but do not drink milk while doing so, otherwise it'll come spewing out of your nose!
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this movie is worth your time
Jojosh the Pi2 November 1999
It takes talent to make a good movie. You have to have good everything to make it happen--actors, plot, script, directing, etc. It takes just as much talent to screw up every single aspect of a movie, while trying to do your best. This is exactly what "Sinbad" achieves. Cheesy fights; awful, unnatural (ie, hilarious) dialogue; and poor acting all combine to bring the word "appalling" to mind.

This movie is not a painful bad, but a funny bad, best enjoyed with buddies. Do not pass up a chance to watch this!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A childhood favorite
ordinarymike23 April 2005
I have to say, this is quite possibly one of the greatest moving pictures of all time...well not quite. Being twenty years old, i was 4 when this movie came out and this was really my favorite movie. Seriously, i would watch it, rewind it, then watch it again. watching again just now, i don't know what the hell was wrong with me. There are so many things wrong with this movie i don't know where to begin ripping on it. the diologue is atrocious, along with the plot, characters, and pretty much everything else. But i guess I'd say watch this movie if you're looking for a serious laugh and have some time to kill, being under the influence really helps...trust me. One final thing to say: Be prepared to see Lou Farrigno flex his pecks about 5,000 times throughout this movie.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family friendly, swashbuckling fun
HaemovoreRex16 September 2006
An awesomely ripped Lou Ferrigno headlines here as the eponymous hero in this visually lavish fantasy flick brought to us by the ever reliable Enzo G.Castellari.

Sinbad's mission is to brave numerous perils in order to rescue a beautiful princess from the clutches of an evil wizard named Jaffar who has taken over the kingdom of Basra by dark magical means.

Also along for the adventure are Sinbad's crew who are comprised of a mighty viking, a philosophical samurai warrior, a dashing prince who is betrothed to the captive princess, a bald chef and a dwarf named Poochi(!) Along the way this brave band of heroes find themselves up against undead armies, rock monsters, seductive Amazonians and a slimy ogre plus in the finale, big Lou comes up against his own clone!!!

Approach this in the right frame of mind and you should have a good time, after all it's entirely harmless fun in much the same vein as films such as Labyrinth etc.

Certainly the film does have far higher production values than most Italian films of the eighties with some beautifully sumptuous sets and costumes on display throughout. Added to this there's a good assemble of B-Movie stars; Big Lou, Romano Puppo (sadly relegated to a very minor role) and of course the ever wonderful John Steiner who is clearly having a ball with his material here as the delightfully hissable Jaffar.

Unfortunately, there are a number of factors which do seriously drag the film down however. For instance, a few of the characters (most notably Lou) have been entirely overdubbed with irritating voice overs - quite why this was the case, I have no idea.

By far the most damning criticism I have for the film though is the intrusive and annoying narrative that accompanies (and incessantly interjects upon!) the proceedings throughout. You see, the basis for the film is that everything taking place on screen is actually a bedtime story being read to a little girl by her mother. And wouldn't you know it - the mother's voice is yet another infuriating overdub!!!

Still, to be fair and looking past these failings, this is actually a fairly enjoyable watch. If you like a spot of swashbuckling fantasy and enjoy films such as The Princess Bride and the aforementioned Labyrinth then this may well be right up your street.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's wonderful
Scaarge8 June 1999
This is one of the best bad movies ever made. Hilariously awful from start to finish. I can't begin to do justice to the "plot". >If you ever have the urge to drink an entire six pack at one sitting, rent this movie instead. You'll thank me. You get the same effect and only kill half the brain cells.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sidesplitting piece of blithely silly fantasy bunk
Woodyanders5 October 2008
Wicked wizard Jaffar (a deliciously hammy serving of eye-rolling high camp villainy by John Steiner) casts an awful spell which pitches a happy kingdom into darkness and despair. It's up to legendary courageous sailor Sinbad (a wildly grimacing Lou Ferrigno, who looks mighty buff and sports a wailin' white guy Afro) to recover four magical stones in order to break Jaffar's spell. During his perilous journey Sinbad and his brave men overcome such dangers as luscious Amazon women, sword-wielding skeletons, a rock monster, and some foul, slimy mud beast. Why, Sinbad even must face a demonic twin of himself at the film's jaw-dropping climax of exceptional absurdity. Director Enzo G, Castellari, who also co-wrote the gloriously ridiculous script with Tito Carpi, treats this infectiously rampant foolishness with complete seriousness, thereby resulting in a truly inspired and often uproarious marvel of pure kitsch. Dov Seltzer's stirring and spirited full-bore synthesizer score hits the goofy spot. The laughably shoddy dubbing, clumsy use of strenuous slow motion, ham-fisted fight choreography, tacky (far from) special effects, and low-rent set design all further enhance the considerable unintentional hilarity. Better still, Sinbad's loyal crew are an endearingly colorful bunch: Roland Wybenga as dashing, handsome prince Ali, Ennio Girolami as a hearty, hulking blond Viking, Yehuda Efroni as bald, cowardly Greek cook Ahmed, Hal Yamanouchi as a karate-chopping, philosophical samurai, and Cork Hubbert as gutsy dwarf Poochie. Moreover, the gorgeous Alessandra Martines looks absolutely ravishing as fair princess Alina, the equally lovely Stefania Girolami supplies extra yummy eye candy as the fetching, feisty Kyra, beefy female bodybuilder Teagan Clive gives an incredibly stiff performance as evil sorceress Soukra, and Leo Gullotta contributes an irritating comic relief turn as babbling, bumbling good wizard Nadir. An absolute gut-busting riot that's highly recommended for die-hard aficionados of delectably cheesy cinematic schlock.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Edgar Allen Poe's best known works?
Chris1295526 May 2015
So the film would lead you to believe. Mr. Poe's actual story bears little to no similarities to this tale, but the fact that it opens with the claim that it is based on his story is just part of the inane fun that is SINBAD OF THE SEVEN SEAS! This is a film so poorly written, acted, directed, and conceived, with horrible dubbing that it takes on an air of the absurd. If you are not laughing at the film at some point, you must not have a good sense of humor. Fun fact, the short story Edgar Allen Poe actually wrote, "The Thousand and Second Tale of Scheherazade," is an amusing story(far better than this movie) in which Scheherazade tells of Sinbad's last adventure in which real things from an outsiders perspective are described, but not believed by the King.

The Story: Sinbad returns home to find that the evil Jaffar has rested control of the kingdom with his sorcery and brought an age of darkness. Sinbad and his intrepid crew must find the four magic gems that will return peace to the land and save the princess.

Three out of ten stars for the film(I've sadly seen worse) and nine out of ten for unintentional humor.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"For the last time... I command you, in the name of all that is evil... budge! Budge! "
bensonmum226 April 2006
Basically, you can take the comments I recently wrote on Lou Ferrigno's two Hercules movies and apply them to his Sinbad outing. If possible, however, Sinbad of the Seven Seas is even more of a snooze-fest than those two films. I don't know when I've been so utterly bored by a movie. I could do the usual and mention the cheap special effects, the ludicrous plot, the laughable dialogue, or the really bad acting, but it seems a bit like piling on. Suffice it to say that everything (and I mean everything) about Sinbad of the Seven Seas is about as bad as you'll see.

One thing I will mention in a little detail is the music. The score was done on a cheap synthesizer and lacks any depth or soul. Someone named Dov Seltzer is credited as the "composer". You could have fooled me! After watching the opening credits, I was sure the old Super Nintendo system would get the music credits.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sinbad of the seven bullshlts!
buchass29 April 2007
"Sinbad of the Seven Seas" its another great "Z" movie from the director Enzo G. Castellari, "Sinbad of the seven seas" its an Italian fantasy a muscle-bound Sinbad (Lou Ferrigno) and his sailors cross the seas to recover the magic stones and help a young prince regain his throne battling it out with a powerful, wicked wizard Jaffar (John Steiner). The lack of money its clearly in the movie, the acting its terrible..well, its entertaining and makes laugh, its a 5 o'clock fantasy flick...

If you like this one, i recommend:

"Hercules in the Haunted World" ( Mario Bava, Franco Prosperi); "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger"(Sam Wanamaker) and "Clash of the Titans"(because of special effects of Ray Harryhausen) .
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Lou Ferrigno and/or Sword and Sandal fans only
mde218 February 2000
TV's Incredible Hulk, Lou Ferrigno's fourth in a series of Italian made sword and sandal flicks he starred in during the 1980s. Sinbad succeeded two Hercules films and one titled, The Seven Magnificent Gladiators. He reprised roles played by US musclemen, such as Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott, who worked for Italian studios in the early 60s making loads of sword and sandal flicks. In fact, Lou's efforts along with other flicks such as Conan, the Deathstalker series and Lee Horsley's Sword And The Sorcerer were part of an 80s' revival of the 60s' sword and sandal/sorcery genre.

This version of Sinbad was apparently intended for TV but never made it. Beefed up special effects grace this movie version. However, any Sinbad film has to be compared to the three gems made by Ray Harryhausen, the most successful of which was The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad in 1973. Ray's meticulously worked stop motion special effects leave those in Sinbad Of The Seven Seas standing, and that's the point; this film is so wooden. The plot calls for Sinbad to bring home some special stones so that his pal the Prince can marry his beloved Princess who is being held by an evil wizard (John Steiner). He sets sail with a crew that includes a Viking and a Samurai warrior and overcomes such adversities as a laser beam shooting monster and soldiers that rise from the dead. His last feat finds him wrestling himself . See this if you like Lou Ferrigno (he still looks great and has let his curly hair grow out Afro style) and/or sword and sandal pics - just don't expect to be riveted to your seat.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sinbad, a genuine 'tour de force'
rmacrory18 January 2005
This film is inspired. You may not realize it at first, but heck, when Apocalypse Now came out some people were vacuous enough to dismiss it. Years later it is rightly recognized as a classic. Some critics never seem to learn. One of the main reasons for watching this film is a show stealing performance by the Town Crier (who is that guy?). The rest is a riotous hoot that few could convincingly find fault with. Sinbad, for once depicted as a conflicted tragic figure, is flawlessly portrayed by Lou Ferrigno, who displays considerable acting muscle here, in a performance that lights up the screen and at moments even eclipses the impeccable photography: think Storaro on acid, meticulously framing mythical creatures, damsels in distress, lavish landscapes galore. The memorable cast of characters (who will ever forget Jaffar?), and their titillating escapades, leave an indelible impression on the viewer - a veritable magical mystery tour through visual and emotional landscapes forgotten by modern cinema. For the cerebral cinephile in search of a rare moment of movie magic.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sinbad
goatalope11 August 2005
When you insert Sinbad of the Seven Seas in your VCR its like stepping into a world of swash-buckling, sword fighting, man-boob bouncing action. Lou Ferrigno doesn't just recite lines, he executes them with precision and emotion...just like he executes the skeleton pirates...and rock monsters...and amazon women...and goopy jello ogres. I don't want to ruin the M.Night Shamalalala-esqe conclusion, but there is some hot Sinbad on Sinbad action. Especially when he falls in the lava. The princess is really hot...I'd do her.

About a dozen rubber snakes and a midget named Poochie were injured during the making of this movie.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SINBAD OF THE SEVEN SEAS (Enzo G. Castellari and, uncredited, Luigi Cozzi, 1989) BOMB
Bunuel19763 January 2008
One of my earliest encounters with "Euro-Cult" cinema was virtually two decades before the term itself came to be coined and it happened via a TV screening of an obscure, Italian-made, comical Arabian Nights fantasy entitled SINBAD AND THE CALIPH OF BAGHDAD (1973) which, unsurprisingly, I haven't seen again since. Incidentally, while Italians usually dabbled more in Greek mythology than in tales from the 1001 nights – in fact, I would love to revisit both the afore-mentioned SINBAD film and the Steve Reeves version of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1961; which, again, is lost to me in the mists of time) someday – the character of Sinbad featured in at least two other Italian productions I know of – SINBAD AGAINST THE SEVEN SARACENS (1964; with Gordon Mitchell in the lead and which I've actually missed out on twice on TV recently) and, naturally, the film under review itself.

Dubbed a "complete disaster" by Euro-Cult expert Marco Giusti, this was originally intended as a 4-part TV mini-series and was to have been directed by Luigi Cozzi (who had previously helmed the two HERCULES movies with Lou Ferrigno) but he had to be replaced due to conflicting commitments. As it happened, incoming director Castellari (whom I've met personally while at the Venice Film Festival in 2004) entirely rewrote Cozzi's script but, despite the considerable budget spent on the production, it was actually shelved for two years before Cozzi was eventually recalled to re-edit Castellari's rough-cut! Cozzi also shot new scenes – including the entire framework featuring Daria Nicolodi and his own daughter Giada, which purports to pass the following fiasco as a faithful filmization of an obscure Edgar Allan Poe Arabian Nights story! In an unwieldy attempt to bestow on the disparate elements a semblance of cohesion, Nicolodi's narration was overused to such an absurd extent (covering whole stretches of dialogue between Sinbad and his men) that it was an endless source of irritation for me throughout. Even so, this troubled Italian production, ironically, does not seem to have ever received theatrical release in its native country hence the official English title! Furthermore, Castellari was unaware that the film had actually been completed and released and only learned this when he chanced upon the film in a video store and, understandably, he couldn't bear watching more than a few minutes of it himself! Incidentally, despite the released version not being Castellari's "vision", he is the only director credited (due to contractual obligations) – although the IMDb lists someone called Tim Kincaid as a co-director…but his name does not appear anywhere in the credits of the version I've seen!!

John Steiner's outrageously over-the-top, eye-rolling performance – complete with elongated green fingernail and madly tilted framing – as (what else?) Jafar the wicked Vizier is something that has to be seen to be believed but is, in fact, one of the minimally bright spots in the film; the same applies to the actress playing Kyra, Sinbad's belated love interest (Stefania Girolami, who was not only director Castellari's daughter but this actually proved to be her swansong to acting before embarking on a directorial career herself!). Steiner's muscular female ally Soukra (Teagan) seems only to be there to belittle the former's would-be infallible plans and does not even have a decent exit of any kind! Future Italian TV personality Leo Gullotta, then, is embarrassing as the aptly named Nadir, a silly wizard/inventor who talks gibberish and is also Girolami's father.

Lou Ferrigno's one-note performance in the title role extends only to his perennially bemused facial expression – even when required to play his evil doppelganger – making Sinbad seem unintentionally moronic, never more so than when he impulsively "frightens" Gullotta or when he is made to mouth such utterly terrible lines as "Gosh, you're sure beautiful" (to a would-be irresistible Amazon Queen) and "No, dice, huh?". Naturally, Sinbad has a motley crew of followers: a grumpy Viking, a martial arts expert spouting such dubious Confucian proverbs as "When the world around you has been turned upside down, chin up", a "Prince Charming" named Ali, a Greek cook who is also a hulking coward and, a staple of the peplum genre – the would-be comic relief provided by an irritable (and irritating) dwarf, here stupidly named Poochie! Besides, it's hard to believe that Alessandra Martines (who plays the kidnapped princess here) went on to become the wife of someone who, at his best, was considered one of the most sophisticated film-makers of his time – Claude Lelouch!; incidentally, she would eventually star in her own cult fantasy franchise – the numerous "Fantaghiro'" series directed by Lamberto Bava!

Listing the film's other flaws would be a Herculean task; suffice it to mention Dov Seltzer's hideously inappropriate electronic soundtrack, a hilarious sequence in which Sinbad is dropped into a snake pit but eventually escapes by making a rope out of assorted cobras(!) and the cheapskate usage of stock footage lifted from a much earlier peplum, HERCULES AGAINST THE MOON MEN (1964) as just three examples of the seemingly limitless ineptitude on display here; to the film's credit, it uncannily predates Disney's wonderful animated feature, ALADDIN (1992), in many respects – not least the appearance of Jafar and the Caliph! Furthermore, ironically enough, my viewing of this total turd led to my discovery that the Image R1 DVDs SADKO aka THE MAGIC VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1953) and ILYA MUROMETS aka THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON (1956) are now out-of-print! Actually, I had originally intended to watch SINBAD THE SAILOR (1947) as well during the Christmas period but had to postpone that viewing due to time constraints and unforeseen family events. Ultimately, the two HERCULES movies with Lou Ferroigno were also pretty awful but at least they showed a modicum of imagination and ingenuity at work and were undeniably lots of fun to watch and make fun of; SINBAD OF THE SEVEN SEAS doesn't even have that mixed blessing to offer its unfortunate viewers.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989)
stevencraigvankooten14 April 2007
No nudity, no gore, gratuitous Luigi Cozzi. Sinbad goes on a quest to foil the evil Jaffar's sinister plans. Along the way he encounters a number of obstacles including bog monsters, death traps, and more rubber monsters. - - - This is another diabolical creation from Luigi Cozzi and Lou Ferrigno, who both birthed a couple of cheesy Hercules adaptations in the 80s. This one pretty much follows suit with their previous work by including tons of horrible looking special effects, bad acting, and Ferrigno acting through his biceps. This one is particularly disjointed, which may have to do with a troubled production history, and suffers from not having the bright pretty colors that at least made "Hercules" fun to look at it. I can't recommend this, but if you like your fantasy all wholesome and enjoy a terrible movie every once in a while, it can be a laugh riot.

*1/2 out of 4
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cable should be horsewhipped for dragging this one out!
eve-122 April 2003
I have not seen such BAD acting ever before in my life and that includes high school production plays! This movie breaks all records in casting such a number of bad actors in one film. The plot was swiss cheese holey. The budget clearly went mostly in costumes and location, but not one centavo was spent on hiring a writer or an acting coach and the director of this turkey must have been indisposed! Lou Ferrigno tried to do his best impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger style one-liners but it quickly became apparent why he had no coherent lines in his series The Hulk! The character Jaffar was even worse, second only to the Viking and Greek cook and the mongoloid looking drawf side-kick. This movie was so bad, that it was a prime target for the cancelled show Mystery Science Theater. Too bad it was passed over. Overall, I feel privileged to have viewed this movie because I laughed repeatedly at how horrendous it was! A must see if equipped with a bottle of good chardonnay!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
uncoordinated stock-footaged half-tripe
r-c-s3 January 2008
well, here you have musclehead retard Hercules...pardon Sinbad in a stitched-together movie basically "borrowing" from many other movies, namely Harryhausen, Jason & the argonauts, Sinbad movies (EG a number of moon to counter a spell ) but even from Ferrigno's Hercules movies and the silly magician Nadir is borrowed from I PALADINI (then the part was taken by Maurizio Nichetti ), Conan the barbarian (the alluring amazon queen turning into a old witch during a seduction scene ) etc. Acting is nearly non-existent, but slightly better than the Hercules movies. Evil visir dethrones senile calif and captures his bimbo daughter ( a young Alessandra Martines bound to some of these recurring "fantasy" roles ); band of iconic merry simpletons (including a dwarf, a Chinese and a "viking" ) escort Sinbad (who adds the "bada$$ grin" to his few facial expressions) during his quest for the lost "sacred gems" (Dragonball anyone? ). Jaffar the evil vizir is in bad need of a orthodontist and overacts like a high school performer (in need of a paycheck, huh?). SFX are amateurish to laughable. Sets are more "lavish", if we can use that word for this C-tier thing, and coherent than the Hercules movies, but nowhere beyond low-budget C-tier level. Picture the blob of 1980s VHS tripe, then focus on the lowest average to get a picture. Mind you, if you are under 12 the movie might hold some residual charm, and after all I have seen worst movies. Well, considering that Ferrigno's main acting exploit consisted in impersonating a retarded green monster, wearing a whig and green espadrillas, we ought to be lenient.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the kings of badness!
spam-713 May 2002
AWFUL! Its as if every single person working on this film,had no idea what they were doing! while we all love a bad "B" movie, this one takes the cake, but doesnt know how to eat it! it's like driving past a bad car accident, you cant help but look.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was pretty bad..
BatmanFunReviews20185 October 2018
Sinbad must recover five magical stones to free the city of Basra from the evil spell cast by a wizard. His journey takes him to the isle of the Amazons where the queen tries to capture him, to a battle with ghost warriors on the isle of the dead, and ultimately to a battle with his own double. Sinbad of the Seven Seas is another colossal disappointment starring Lou Ferrigno who around that time was trying a bit desperately hard to become the next Schwarzenegger or Stallone and the end result is of course rather poorly or should i say? Rather quite awful a bit.
Hulk Goes To Basra
cbridgemanart25 July 2018
Made in Spain with no sound equipment under a director who rewrote it as he filmed it, shelved for years due to being unusable, then one day roughly edited, badly dubbed, and poorly scored in an attempt to get something saleable and here we are.

Ever seen Sinbad portrayed as a heavily muscled superman in sparkly purple disco tights? Ever seen Jaffar portrayed as a cackling English villain in cahoots with a busty blonde in a scandalous leather one piece? Well now you can!

There's monsters, fighting, sexy ladies, animated effects, leather clad henchmen, slo-mo running, a 'Poochie the Dwarf' comic-relief who's neither funny nor a dwarf then disappears midway through the movie, more fighting, constant narration explaining what's going on, laughably poor music, magical zombie horses, and that guy off the hulk, I mean what's not to like, people!?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Puts the 'bad' in Sinbad.
BA_Harrison20 January 2016
Italian trash director Enzo G. Castellari puts the 'bad' in Sinbad with this inept fairy-tale flick based on The Thousand and Second Tale of Scheherazade by Edgar Allen Poe. Bodybuilder Lou Ferrigno plays the legendary sailor who, with the help of his brave crew, must recover five magical gems to free the city of Basra, which has fallen under an evil spell cast by wicked wizard Jaffar (John Steiner).

Sinbad of the Seven Seas opens in a similar manner to The Princess Bride (1987), with a mother (Daria Nicolodi) reading a bedtime story to her young daughter. But whereas this framing device was used sparingly and intelligently in Rob Reiner's much loved classic, Castellari's muddled storytelling requires frequent and extremely dull narration from Nicolodi to help explain the story, all of which proves very distracting, never allowing the viewer to become immersed in the action.

Not that the film would prove very engaging even if it it were possible to follow matters without the narration: Castellari's direction is dreadful, the script (by fellow Italian hack Luigi Cozzi) is diabolical, the performances range from wooden (Ferrigno) to ridiculously hammy (Steiner), and the special effects are cheap and nasty. The result is a film that possesses zero magic—a bedtime story that'll have you drifting off to sleep, whether you want to or not.
Don't waste your time!
vip_ebriega23 June 2007
My Take: Awful acting, awful writing, awful action. Awful everything!

What can I say about "Sinbad and the Seven Seas"? Well lets review it shall we. Well, Sinbad is played by Lou Ferrigno. It started off on a wrong foot (and a low budget) from the start. Well I guess that's that. It's silly, boring and pointless. Need I say more?

I couldn't even finish watching it. I only watched the first half, changed the channel, then watched the second half. And you know what? I should have quit on it from the start. What a waste. A compendium of stupidity, poor performances, loathsome dialog and silly situations.

Well, I guess I made my point.

Rating: 0 stars out of 5.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A star in the making
r_macrory27 July 2006
Yes, this is not the best film ever made BUT pay attention to the town crier? I recently saw him in an art-house French film and he was spectacular. If this is indeed the director who discovered him, then he is to be applauded. Hope to see more of Armando MacRory in the future. If you get the chance pick up a copy of the film and you will see exactly what I mean. In a film that is clunky there is a strange depth to the character who brings the hero and heroine together, a tragic eloquence. It is not easy to steal the show from the many special effects, fight scenes and show some real acting in this kitchy epic but this actor manages. Thumbs up, and bravo. I hear the movie is available on DVD, so I shall head out to the shops and purchase it and I strongly recommend others do as well.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.