See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) Poster

Very funny pairing of the two wonderful comic actors
MovieLuvaMatt22 June 2003
I remember first seeing this movie when I was about five years old, and I found it hilarious. I caught the movie a couple more times on network TV, but this is the first time I watched it again in its unedited form.

Needless to say, Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are both wonderful talents with an irreplacable chemistry, and that chemistry is utilized very well throughout. Of course, the brilliantly original premise helps as well. A blind guy and a deaf guy who pair up to solve a murder? Classic! That premise is used wonderfully. There's a great line where they're interrogated and angry officer screams out, "Between the two of you, you saw and heard everything!"

There's a lot of great fish-out-of-water humor involving Pryor's blindness and Wilder's deafness. One of the most hilarious gags, along with the car chase, is when Pryor helps another blind man to walk across the street, and they end up in the back of a truck. Now that's a literal example of the blind leading the blind. Each gag is delivered and timed very well, thanks for the great actors and veteran director Arthur Hiller, who has directed the two leads before in "Silver Streak."

This isn't a perfect comedy. A few gags fall flat, but the key word is "few." Some reviewers and audiences have regarded this as the low point in Wilder's and Pryor's careers. I think of "Another You" as the low point, which is a horribly forgettable comedy that unfortunately was the last film they did together.

A good deal of the gags are far-fetched, but this is a slapstick farce and you have to expect that. That's why I always say that this is a very tricky sub-genre and if not done correctly, the audience will totally stop suspending disbelief and simply scoff at its foolishness.

Fans of Pryor and Wilder should not be disappointed. Also, if you want to see an early (comic) performance by Kevin Spacey, it's also worth checking out. Speaking of worth checking out, Joan Severance provides great eye candy, and she has a couple of nude scenes to boot. I was born in 1982, so this was the first movie where I saw the two comics together on screen, so "See No Evil" is more unique to me than it probably is to others. But come on! With scenes like a high-speed car chase involving a blind man and a deaf man trying to escape, how can this not be regarded as a "unique" comedy?

My score: 7 (out of 10)
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
When two become one
Petruchio15 September 2001
"See no evil, Hear no evil"; a perfect title for an hilarious script that was brilliantly portrayed by Gene Wilder (Dave) and Richard Pryer (Wally). The tale of two "handicapped" (as Dave remarks at the end of the film, "I'm not handicapped, I have you") individuals who come together to be ones eyes. The hilarious duo get caught in a crime they did not commit and do everything in thier power to rid them of the accusation.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie tremendously. I remember watching it when it first came out in 1989 and thinking, "wow...what a funny flick". Being only 11 at the time, I didn't really understand the hilarity of all the jokes that was in it. The reason why I watch it again now... 13 years later is because of one Kevin Spacey (Who plays Kirgo, the crook). I'm in the process of collecting all of his movies... and this one just happens to be one in that list. I'm glad that it is. I find the script to be wonderfull, the acting brilliant and the time spent watching it a definate fun time. Great movie!!
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
The funniest Wilder/Pryor movie
DragoonKain22 January 2002
Just saw this movie again recently, and it still gets me laughing like crazy. This was the first Pryor/Wilder movie I ever saw, when it first came out on video, and it eventually got me to the video store several more times to see their other movies. Although all of them got me laughing (especially Silver Streak), this one was by far the funniest. It's definitely an underrated movie. I only wish Pryor and Wilder had done more together.
38 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
A TIMELESS COMEDY
Matija Trost1 November 2001
Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are probably one of the best comedy couples around. And this title is probably one of the best they made together. The most of the credit goes here to Richard, who played his part really hilariously.

Anyway, a nice late-eighties comedy, with some great laughs and not so great plot. But hey, who cares about that, when you "smile your pants off".

7 out of 10
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Absolutely Superb
SamBob20 April 1999
Hilarious, side splitting, very clever humour by two of the best comedy actors ever.

I have seen this film several times now, and each time is as amusing as the first.

You have just got to watch this film!
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Good Fun
benny-6217 May 2000
Not quite as good as Silver Streak and Stir Crazy but this Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor outing never fails in putting a big smile on my face.Seen it loads of times now and it's as funny as the first time, brilliant stuff.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
this is genius
dereksays booyaa20 August 2001
This has to be one of the funniest films ever made.Two of the best comic actors in recent history.Who has there been since?next to this film I would have to put stire crazy but see no evil just eclipses it with the perfect timing of the jokes and the best scene of all fuzzy wuzzy was a what?{HAS TO BE SEEN}
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Richard Pryor is simply the best... better than all the rest!
Cinema_Love11 December 2005
Unfortunetely, I watch this movie two days before Richard Pryor dies from an heart attack, he was such a wonderful actor. The teacher of many black actors of nowadays including Eddie Murphy, Wesley Snipes and Chris Rock. As for the movie, it's the kind of comedy you want to watch every time you watch a comedy. You see? I don't! You hear? I don't!! That's two man, Richard Pryor as the blind guy (perfect choice by the way) and one of his best friends of all time, the talented Gene Wilder, who make the guy who can't hear. So he follow the words on the mouths of people. The plot is yet simple but effective. The beautiful Joan Severance and a unknown Kevin Spacey at that time make the villains in this movie. They are so credible, that you believe them. So I would say one thing about this movie and it's MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! You have 2 talented actors and you don't even care about the script anymore because they are so talented than they can make look good any movie they are involved to. Here, we have a good storyline, so it helps even more. You laugh about all the time even when you think ''It's too stupid to make this'', yeap, but you laugh because you are watching one of the best comedies of all times. The writing stuff is genius, they make this movie and probably at that time, it was another movie like this, but as of today, it has become a cult classic for every Richard Pryor fans! Thank you Richard for everything!
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Best Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor Movie!
General_G13 October 2005
I love this movie! This is the best movie Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor were in together. (My second favorite is Stir Crazy.) How genius? A blind guy and a deaf guy running from the police and two murders and are wanted for a murder they never committed. Its just so simple yet so clever! I'm a big fan of both Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor as well as Kevin Spacey and John Capodice. My favorite scene in the movie is when Wally is trying to drive the police car and the police and the killers are after him. That was great! A blind man driving, hitting everything and driving in places he shouldn't have bee driving. Woo! Next time you want to see a Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor movie watch See No Evil, Hear No Evil.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Superbly Acted
chris_kattan_rules1 December 2001
This movie is absolutely hilarious. If you are looking for a funny movie I would definitely recommend this one!! Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are classic together. The crazy antics of the two characters is incredibly funny.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Pryor to This there has never been a comedy Wilder
marcusgray10019 January 2004
I love this movie and I love Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. On the face of it they're both so utterly unfunny that they come full circle on the crapometer right back round to funny. You have to hand it to them. These guys have made several films together, all of which are arguably quite rubbish, yet I always wizz myself laughing whenever I watch any of them. By the way, for all you Wilder/Pryor slapstick-duo film fan freaks out there, I stole that amazingly funny quote in my summary from the back of the Stir Crazy box. So sue me if I want to use the best line I've ever read on the back of a video box ever, anywhere in the whole wide world. You know, you should always judge a film by it's cover, and even more so by the description on the back. How could you not fall over, doubled-up in uncontrollable fits of laughter, face contorting, body spasming in the video store when you see Pryor/Wilder on the front cover of a video, one pretending he can't see, the other pretending he can't hear. Then you read the back cover and you nearly die laughing before you reach the counter due to the over-use of words such as, crazy, zany, nuts, wacko, crackers, mad-cap, caper, loony, escapades, hilarious, romp etc. etc. I mean, if you've ever seen this film, you'll know what a total load of lies that is, but they're real funny lies. All this and you have not even left the video store. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but any film that has normal, well adjusted members of the film watching community thrashing about on the floor of a video store, really should have cleaned up at the oscars. Ok, so I exaggerate. Or do I. Come on then. Lets hear some Pryor/ Wilder collaboration appreciation.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Underrated comedy
Smoothpants4 June 2003
This pairing of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, while not "Silver Streak" and not the first half of "Stir Crazy", is still an amusing comedy with some absolutely hilarious moments. I mean, let's face it...the second half of Stir Crazy is as boring as it gets. This film lags in spots, but the chemistry of Pryor and Wilder does satisfy. Stay away from "Another You" (as I did). I figured that this film was as good as we were going to get from Pryor and Wilder. Was I right? I dunno. I stayed away from "Another You".
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
10 OUT OF 10 .. A* .. TWO THUMBS UP .. GREAT MOVIE
popem7913 September 2002
This has to be my one of my all time favorite Comedy movies... I love this film. The movie is based around two guys one Black and Blind (Played to perfection by Richard Pryor) the other, White and Deaf (Played by the equally funny Gene Wilder). Both are accused of killing the bookie of the Blind Guy this leads to a hilarious chase across the county and them trying to uncovering the people who set them up. I could easily go on and on about this movie but in doing so would ruin it for you. This is one of the only movies that I have seen that I remember laughing untill there where tears in my eyes. This gets a 10/10 from me and I only hope you love it as much.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
pryor's best and funniest movie ever!
jaws!25 April 1999
see no evil hear no evil is a very funny movie.there are so many funny scenes in this movie.the movie is maybe at it's funniest when pryor and wilder are at a hotel pretending to be doctors.i don't know why critics didn't like this movie.i thought it was pryor's and maybe wilder's funniest movie.but theres two wilder movies i haven't seen yet.but see no evil hear no evil is a very funny,and great movie.i liked this movie the first time i saw it.and the more i watched it the more i liked it.to the point it's the funniest movie pryor has ever played in.i give this movie ***1/2 out of ****
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This collaboration of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder is very funny to hear and see.
Aaron13757 October 2010
Of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor's team ups, this one ranks as my favorite. Granted it is not the most successful as I believe "Stir Crazy" was their biggest hit together, I still find this one the most funny. The story has Gene playing someone who is deaf and Pryor as someone who is blind. Right there you have the makings of a funny film as each other has to cope with the others handicap as Pryor's character tries to get a job at Gene's news stand where they become friends and have a very funny altercation at a bar. Well things start to spiral out of control as a person is murdered and our two heroes as it were get the blame. So they are off on a wild chase to first escape the police, then avoid recapture and finally find the people responsible for the murder. It plays out very well as by now Gene and Richard work perfectly together. Kind of a shame that Gene does not really appear in anything these days or for the last several years. He was a very funny comedic actor to be sure. This film is funny to be sure as well. A lot of good humor and it never really has to many sentimental moments either. It moves quickly too so all in all a funny comedy from two very funny guys.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Very good, but lacks the charm of their first movies.
Elswet31 December 2003
I enjoyed this endeavor very much. As an avid fan of both Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder, I enjoy all their team ventures. And while I did find this movie very entertaining, it also lacked some of the magick of the first few.

Wilder plays a deaf entrepreneur, and Pryor is an unemployed blind man who comes to Wilder for a job. From the very beginning, this movie is hilariously clever. I did enjoy it, though it was a very bittersweet experience, seeing Pryor so ill, and Wilder so much in pain. It showed through both their performances.

Unfortunately, the unforgiving public did not understand, and assumed their talents were lacking, rather than there were other problems. I can only hope this will not be their last thespian collaboration.

It is well worth a viewing or two.

It rates a 7.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Absolutely Superb! The funniest Wilder-Pryor film. A must see
murray-2428 May 2002
This is probably the funniest of all Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor films. They are a class act as a comic duo.

See no Evil Hear no Evil comes a close overall second to their best film, Silver Streak (1976). But for laughs this beats off both all 3 of their outings (inc. Stir Crazy and Another You.)

The whole blind guy deaf guy thing is superb, and Pryor as usual has some great lines. Check out his response when Joan Severence asks him if he has any last requests!!

Most people prefer Stir Crazy but See no Evil Hear no Evil IS definately funnier. And its one of only a few films you can watch again and again and still find hillarous.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Not Wilder or Pryor's Finest Work but Has Its Moments,
FilmBuff19948 June 2014
See No Evil,Hear No Evil is a decent movie with a mediocre storyline but a good comedic cast.I always like seeing Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder on screen together,the two always have great chemistry on screen and are clearly great friends,this movie is no exception,but it's just not the best movie either of them has done.I really enjoyed Pryor's performance,he did a great job pretending to be blind,he always looked straight ahead and was very convincing.I also appreciated Joan Severance and Kevin Spacey,Severance is very funny and attractive,and this is one of the first films Spacey has ever starred in,it's certainly not his finest performance,but he played his character well and this movie started off a great career for this man.See No Evil,Hear No Evil is worth the watch if it is on TV,it's short and has its some moments that are quite funny,but it's nothing outstanding.

Two friends,one blind and one deaf,go on the run to clear their names when they become murder suspects.

Best Performance: Richard Pryor
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Pryor and Wilder end their careers in style
Idocamstuf30 March 2003
This film was Pryor and Wilder's last real film, together and solo. It was a mild hit at box offices, but it failed critically. The story is pretty good in this one, deaf man and blind man uniting to escape from a crime they didnt commit. A few good laughs in there, but after a while the film slips downhill. Kevin Spacey gives a good performance in one of his first supporting roles. Overall the films not bad, but its nothing special, If its on TV some night, give it a try. 6 out of 10.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Funniest Movie Ever - MUST SEE
Quasar_0531 May 2005
By far the funniest of the Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor movies, this one makes me wish there were 100 more like it. From start to finish, hilarious scenes kept me laughing until my throat was sore.

Upon deciding to make this film, Gene Wilder made many changes to create a kinder, gentler script about people with disabilities -- the result is the funniest movie possible about a blind man (Pryor as Wally) and a deaf man (Wilder as Dave) who witness a murder. Dave is hesitant and reluctant to do anything that would make him look foolish to others while Wally is so self confident that he walks around without a cane as if he could see. But trouble lies ahead when Wally leads the way -- literally.

I enjoyed 'Silver Streak' immensely years ago but 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' is more a classic - no matter that you've seen it before several times, the irresistible charm of Gene and Richard in amazing scenes make you laugh all over again.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
For Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, third time's the charm in their such teaming in See No Evil, Hear No Evil
tavm18 February 2012
After nearly 25 years of reading about See No Evil, Hear No Evil, I finally watched it on Netflix Streaming. It stars Richard Pryor as Wally, a blind man and Gene Wilder as Dave, a deaf one. They form an unlikely friendship as both become "witnesses" of a murder. The villains are portrayed by Joan Severance and Kevin Spacey who I remember were also bad people on the TV series "Wiseguy" during this time. There are a lot of gags concerning both blindness and deafness but I don't think there was any meanness in intent in doing those scenes as both Pryor and Wilder have that sweetness inherent here that also served them well in their previous collaborations in Silver Streak and Stir Crazy. Though the fact that Ms. Severance is soooo fine here meant that, yes, she's the target of some what would now be called sexist jokes, I don't think they're that offensive. So on that note, I highly recommend See No Evil, Hear No Evil.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Pryor sees no evil, Wilder hears no evil
TheLittleSongbird16 June 2017
While a box office success at the time, 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' was very negatively received critically and, while it has its defenders, many still consider it a lesser Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor effort.

From personal opinion, 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' doesn't see Wilder and Pryor at their best. Of their four double act collaborations, my personal favourite is 'Silver Streak' while also really enjoying 'Stir Crazy' mostly (where the partnership between the two is more equal and even more inspired) if not as even (with a second half that doesn't fare as well as the first half). At the same time, 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' doesn't disgrace either Wilder or Pryor and doesn't hurt what made their chemistry so enjoyable in the first place. It's not a great film, but to me it is nowhere near as bad as reputed and a better film than their last collaboration 'Another You'.

'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' has its good things. It's hardly a cheap-looking film, it's nicely shot and cohesively edited mostly. The music is a good, sometimes quirky, never over-bearing and rarely mismatched, fit.

Not everything works here material-wise but some lines are funny, Pryor especially has some gems, and there are a few amusing gags. The concept of the story is a quite unique one, and despite some worries as to how it would turn out, the film treats the concept nowhere near as distastefully as feared. Not everything comes cleverly and there is a lack of taste and subtlety at times but there really has been far more offensive content.

Like with their previous two collaborations, Wilder and Pryor are a well-matched double act and both enjoy themselves and give good performances as well as being convincing in their characters' handicaps. Although with a less understated and louder character, meaning that he could easily have fallen into the trap of being annoying, Pryor does provide some very nice moments, but Wilder's gentler in comparison performance is no less inferior and doesn't resort to mugging.

Quite a lot is lacking however, or at least from personal view, in 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil'. While Wilder and Pryor are good, the supporting cast are less so. Alan North fares least badly. Joan Severance has sex appeal and allure going for her but exudes little threat or much personality for that matter, and to say that Kevin Spacey in a very early role went on to much better things later on than his too-silly-to-be-taken-seriously is being very kind.

Scripting has its moments, as said, but too many of the jokes (even for the kind of the comedy it was going for and the film's concept) were far too juvenile and some so idiotic it nearly insults the intelligence. The story has an interesting idea but it became confused and contrived the more it went on (especially the caper element that was nearly completely lost amongst the humour).

Erratic pacing (sometimes too hectic, at other times suffering from a lack of urgency) and the chaotic, and like it belonged more in a cartoon, action does no favours either.

In conclusion, okay film if not great. Not that bad, while not with enough to passionately defend it either. 5/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
pretty bad, actually
Charles Herold (cherold)23 September 2016
I saw Silver Streak in 1976, thought Richard Pryor was great, and yet it took me 40 years to get around to watching one of the other movies he made with Gene Wilder, because they just didn't look promising to me. And judging by See No Evil, Hear No Evil, my instincts were right.

The basic idea is cute. A blind guy and a deaf guy are co-workers who kind of witness a murder, only the blind guy just hears it and the deaf guy just catches sight of the killer's legs. Soon they are beset by suspicious cops and the killers.

There are some cute moments in this movie, as when blind Pryor is losing a fist fight until dead Wilder gets behind him and acts as his eyes, or a somewhat amusing scene involving Wilder's mug shot.

But not much of the movie is particularly funny, while most of it is irretrievably dumb. About halfway through I started just fast forwarding looking for funny bits, but I could find any until a brief, quite amusing sequence in which two blind guys have a shootout.

Wilder and Pryor were fantastically talented people; it's a shame they couldn't get better behind-the-camera talent to get the best out of them.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Deaf and Dumber...
Mister-621 April 2000
Two great comic talents caught in a sub-standard plot. It's not news, but it still isn't an excuse.

"See No Evil, Hear No Evil" gives Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor another chance to team after the wonderful work they've done together in films like "Stir Crazy" and "Silver Streak". Unfortunately, those scripts were much funnier and used Wilder's and Pryor's contrasting personalities as a springboard for the laughs.

Big difference here; it's just a blind guy (Pryor) and a deaf guy (Wilder) who collectively witness a murder and are on the run from the cops and the hit-men responsible. Unfortunately, there's not a trace of either's personal ticks or traits they had in previous outings. Their characters could have been played by anyone in particular, without any noticeable changes in the film itself.

But when you have supporting players like Joan Severance and Kevin Spacey and they make no impression, you know something is very wrong.

Still there are a few scattered laughs and occasional bright spots, like where Pryor drives a getaway car and Wilder tells him where to turn (COWS! COWS! COWS!). But so much time is spent on the plot itself (deadly business for a comedy) that there's no time left for laughs.

Too bad, they had the makings for a classic, but missed the boat. Especially when the writers' ears for laughs turn out to be tone-deaf (sorry).

Two stars for "See No Evil, Hear No Evil", one each for Wilder and Pryor, who have done better before and since. Hey, anyone for a "Silver Streak" sequel?
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!