Major League (1989) Poster

(1989)

One of the best sports/comedy movies of all-time.
Brian-27226 May 2001
Over the years many times I have watched Major League and each time I enjoy it. This film just seems better if you watch it during baseball season. The cast and plot of this movie is just great. You have a bunch of misfits and old-timers who come together and bring the Cleveland Indians out of many years of a slump, and finally contend for an American League Pennant. The movie has plenty of funny moments and mishaps that the characters do just to make you laugh while at the same moment you cheer for the team in each game of the season. Charlie Sheen is great he was perfectly cast as the pitcher. Plus the cast of Wesley Snipes, James Gammon, Dennis Haysbert, Corbin Bernsen, and Tom Berenger all worked very good together even Bob Uecker is a joy as the Indians very funny play-by-play announcer. Major League is just one of those movies when you watch it each time you enjoy it and you just love to cheer for the underdog. If you are a baseball fan and love a little comedy mixed with winning then Major League is a movie to watch many times.
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Couldn't Stop Laughing
goleafs846 February 2004
I saw this movie when it was released back in 1989 and I couldn't stop laughing; This movie was hilarious.

It was very fitting, since the Cleveland Indians at the time were the laughingsock of the Major Leagues and for years, they were stuck in the realms of mediocrity or in last place year after year.

The cast was great; Led by Tom Berringer, and Margaret Whitton. She played the perfect villain in this movie. You just wanted to hate her. Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bersen, along with 3 unknown actors at the time, Wesley Snipes, Dennis Haysbert and Rene Russo. Snipes was hilarious as Willie "Mays" Hayes as well as Haysbert as Pedro Cerrano, the power hitter who practices voodoo. The cast was well rounded off with Checie Ross as Eddie Harris, the aging religious pitcher, James Gammon, Charles Cypers and Bob Uecker as "Harry Doyle".

There were many great one liners and hilarious scenes. The American Express commercial was classic and here's a couple of my favorite scenes:

-Jake Taylor, Willie "Mays" Hayes and Ricky Vaughn are in a bar after a game and discussing the long ball Vaughn gave up:

Taylor: "It wasn't that bad" Vaughn: "Oh yeah? Name one park that ball couldn't have left" Taylor: "Yellowstone" (All 3 laughing)

That scene was in the theater version and I've seen it in the trailers for the movie, but it was deleted in the video version. I'd like to know why, because that was one of my favorite scenes.

-"Oh now you come around; But he isn't fooled"- Eddie Harris on seeing Pedro Cerrano crossing himself.

Here's a few bits of trivia on the movie:

-Funny thing was seeing Pete Vukovich as Klu Haywood, a first baseman. Mainly because he was a pitcher in the Major Leagues.

-Catcher Jake Taylor wore #7. This was the uniform number of longtime Los Angeles Dodger catcher Steve Yeager, who was the technical advisor to this movie and played 3rd Base Coach, "Duke Temple" (Fitting that Taylor wore his number?).

-The movie was filmed in Milwaukee and 3 people affiliated with the Brewers were featured: Pete Vukovich, Bob Uecker (Brewers play-by -play man) and pitcher Jerry Augustine (Duke Simms).

-Was it a coincedence that Miller and Lite Beer was used, since Bob Uecker at the time was spokesman for the Miller Brewing Company?

This movie is one of the best sports movies around. Getting the dvd is worth it.
29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
My first contact with Baseball...
Starbuck-1323 November 2000
As you might know, Baseball is not big in Germany. Hardly anybody knows or understands the rules. People watch soccer here. Basketball gets bigger. But Baseball? No.

So this movie, which many of my friends watched as well, was my first contact with this interesting sport. Of course, it is a fairy tale. Of course, the underdog won't get that big that it will beat everybody and win the championship. Or will it?

Sports history tells us different. The story is the same in every sport. Just two years ago, a team just promoted from second division won the German soccer championship!

This movie depicts the glorious story of a bunch of outsiders and underachievers who finally win some games. And it is told in such a wonderful manner that you can't but root for them on their way out of the slumps. Yes! It is a simple story! But the characters are wonderful, the wisecracking Harry Doyle incredibly funny and the finals... well... no spoilers here.

My most favorite moment is when oldtimer pitcher Harris is replaced by Charlie Sheens character in the finals. In the first games of the season, some die-hard fans had given Sheen the nickname "Wild thing" and sang the famous song. Now, the whole crowd is chanting this song as Sheen steps onto the field to pitch his largest enemy. This scene always gives me goosebumps. It is splendid.

Many great moments, excellent humor and a fate you would wish for your favorite sports team as well - unless you are one of those boring Yankees, Bulls or Bayern Muenchen fans...
50 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Miracle On The Cuyahoga
bkoganbing13 August 2009
Major League was six years too early in its prophecy for success for the Cleveland Indians. I'm old enough to remember when they had a good team back in the Fifties. When I was just a small kid, large Municipal Stadium known without affection as mistake on the lake used to have 70,000 plus crowds because the Indians had such players as Bob Feller, Lou Boudreau, Joe Gordon, and Satchel Paige. But when that team went bad, the larger the stadium and they had the largest in baseball looked all the more empty.

Terry Pluto wrote a book on the history of the Indians failure called The Curse Of Colavito. In 1959 the Indians finished a respectable second to the White Sox in the pennant race that year with Casey Stengel's Yankees having an inexplicable bad season and a distant third. Rocky Colavito led the American League in home runs and he was the most popular fellow in Cleveland. He became one of a select group of Major Leaguers that year to hit four home-runs in one game. And he was traded to the Detroit Tigers for the batting champion, Harvey Kuenn. It was never the same for Cleveland.

Which takes us to the futile Indians of 1989 as futile in real life as they start on screen. The team comes into the possession of a new owner former showgirl Margaret Whitton. Her contract with the city specifies that if the team attendance dips below 700,000 for the season, she can move the team and she wants the warm sun of Miami instead of winters on the Cuyahoga River.

Building a winning team in baseball is a lot harder than what you see in Major League. But this collection of goofballs, misfits, and has beens actually get mad enough and start winning.

Major League has a nice collection of players playing ballplayers like veteran catcher Tom Berenger, narcissistic third baseman Corbin Bernsen, juvenile delinquent rookie pitcher Charlie Sheen known as Wild Thing for his lack of control, Wesley Snipes as center-fielder Willie Mays Hayes and Dennis Haysbert as a Santeria observing power hitter. It is the American League so Haysbert probably is the designated hitter. My favorite in the film is veteran manager James Gammon who pulls this collection together for a winning team.

Major League is a film for baseball and film fans it so nicely blends the interests. As for the Cleveland Indians when Municipal Stadium closed down and they got a new ballpark in Jacobs Field, they actually won a couple of pennants in 1995 and 1997. Of course the process to build the Indians wasn't half as entertaining as Major League is.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
There Once Was...
Linda29 December 2004
This is one of the cleverest predictable movies of all time, and for my taste the best baseball movie. A great cast, an underdog plot, and one memorable choice after another by the writers and director make this a valentine to the foot soldiers of our national pastime. (Remember, this was 15 years ago.)

The fabulous scoreboard, the hysterical radio play-by-play of Bob Uecker, even the motley occupants of Cleveland sports bars are irresistible hooks to reel us in, after we've been hooked by the motley team of colorful has-beens and never-were's. If this is a formula, it's the right one. I deeply love this movie, and regret not having seen it in its theatrical run. (I've seen it a dozen times since.) I'm sure the audience went wild during that climactic Yankees game! How about that Dorn making a bunch of clutch plays! Didn't you love Cerrano carrying his bat around the bases with him? Jake not dusting off, and pointing, twice...man, I wish I'd been there.

Then there's the little insert, early in the story, about Jake's fantasy of hitting the winning run out of the park. What happened instead when the chips were really down?

Okay, it isn't "poetry" -- it's more of a limerick, know what I mean? Just start with three words: "There once was...." and finish it yourself! I bet you'll finish with a big smile on your face!
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Classic Movie!
natefrog27 November 2003
This is easily my favorite movie of all-time. Being a sports fan who loves comedies, you can't beat this flick. This is one movie that I can watch over and over without getting sick of it. Definitely hilarious, the one-liners are great. The cast is solid as well. Wesley Snipes, Tom Berenger, Dennis Haysbert, Corbin Bernsen, Charlie Sheen and Bob Uecker are excellent in their roles. I love how the film holds nothing back as well, unlike the sequel where the language and what not was toned down.

Is Major League predictable? I guess...but it is still a great movie. Its a ***** movie in my opinion, plus it was filmed at the late MCS (Milwaukee County Stadium) so that makes it even better!
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Indians win it! The Indians win it! Oh my God the Indians win it!
rick79robertson19 March 2004
I grew up in Strongsville Ohio and suffered through many bad Indians teams in the 70's and 80's. At the beginning of the movie it was great seeing the pan view of downtown Cleveland. Oh yes, the movie.......THE INDIANS WIN IT! sums it up perfectly. A million thanks to Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes, Charlie Sheen and the rest of a great cast for making such a funny and heart-warming movie. Thanks to you too, Euk, for giving that line its heart! Give Cleveland a decent sports franchise and they will come for miles to support them. Sold a few home games out at the Jake as you will recall..........a few tough times have hit the Tribe lately but they're coming back....With Mike Hargrove back that's a step in the right direction. Definitely watch this movie if you want to relax in the comfort and safety of a hilarious and nostalgic movie. GO TRIBE!!!!
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Can baseball be any funnier?
Mark Baes20 July 2001
There have been some excellent baseball movies made from Field of Dreams to The Pride of the Yankees, but no movie based on the national pastime can ever claim to be as hysterically funny as Major League. Granted, the value of the original was hurt by the second and third attempts at re-creating the atmosphere. Those two films were an embarrassment to all involved.

Major League, however, personified the attitude of "Nothing to lose". Aside from the easily identified woes of the Cleveland franchise of the late-eighties, there were several actors in this film that had yet to hit big or had started to fall from grace. The incredibly strong language of the movie only made it seem that much more realistic.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Best baseball movie
Maniac-93 February 2012
I don't care what anyone says this is by far the best baseball movie ever made. Bull Durham was a bit too much of a chick flick to be a real baseball fans movie of choice.

Major League isn't a movie that's going to solve world peace or anything but if you want a light hearted, entertaining film that is hysterically funny then you need to see this.

Charlie Sheen being a former high school pitcher who was able to get 85 mph on his fastball, which isn't as fast as characters 100 mph. But close enough to with the way they film it to make it look believable as being a real flame thrower. If they had someone who didn't have a background in baseball they would've probably had to use a stunt double for his pitching scenes, which would've sucked.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Baseball comedy classic
El Guapo-216 September 2003
"Major League" is nothing original... it borrows heavily from the "Bad News Bears" school of screen writing. What holds the movie together is the easy charm and camaraderie of the cast, which features some tried and true character actors: Bob Uecker, basically playing himself; Margaret Whitfield, playing her patented "bitch" role, and James Gammon, playing the wise old coot who has seen it all. Rounding out the cast are Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen and Rene Russo, who at the time was new to features. The plot is as follows: The owner of the Cleveland Indians marries a Vegas showgirl and dies on his honeymoon, leaving her the team. Cleveland (which the song being played over the main titles laughingly refers to as "city of light, city of magic"- perhaps they are referring to when the Cuyahuga River caught on fire?) doesn't agree with her, so she wants to exploit a loophole in her contract with the city which stipulates if attendance falls below a certain level, she can take the franchise out of Cleveland. So she goes out and gets herself the sorriest looking group of ballplayers you've ever seen... A Cuban defector (because his religion is voodoo) who can only hit fastballs (Dennis Haysbert), the worlds laziest third baseman (Think Bernsen as a clean shaven Wade Boggs), a catcher with shot-out knees (Berenger channeling Johnny Bench or Cartlton Fisk), a near-sighted pitcher who throws 100 MPH at everything but the plate (Sheen), and the lead-off hitter who thinks he is Rickey Henderson (Wesley Snipes). The movie has a lot of laughs and it's a fun way to waste 90 minutes. Directed by David S. Ward of "The Sting" fame. Interestingly enough, this movie did give the nickname "Wild Thing" to one-time Philadelphia pitcher Mitch whatshisname who threw a bad pitch to Joe Carter in the 9th inning to lose the '93 World Series to Toronto.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wild thing, you make my heart sing.
lastliberal22 November 2008
There was a lousy football game on so I thought I would wait for a better one and watch this film again. I am glad i did as the game ended 40-10.

The cast of this film is what makes it. They put together a great group to do a movie that is nothing special - losers and has-beens win the pennant.

I like Charlie Sheen and he is worth watching in anything he does, especially "Two and a Half Men." He was perfect in the character of the renegade.

I just saw Corbin Bernsen recently in The Dentist, and he can bring laughs to any movie.

Rene Russo? I love her and even though her part was small, it was great.

Wesley Snipes, Tom Berenger, and Dennis Haysbert all had a unique way of making this a great movie. And, hooray for Stacy Carroll in her only movie. How did they let her get away? I want to thank the Japanese Academy for recognizing this film with a nomination for best Foreign Film. They recognize greatness when they see it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fun and good but not excellent
udeaasykle5 July 2004
Reading my headline it may seem as though I have something against this movie. I like Major League but it is not as funny as when I saw it when I was younger. Still after all these years it is still charming and I did enjoy it. It has the classic one talent thing going on where there is one who runs fast, one who batter well etc. It has a great cast list from Charlie Sheen to Wesley Snipes to Tom Berenger. The story is nothing special. They put together a team of losers who of course manage to win the entire thing. And of course there is a bad guy in these types of movies. A lot of great characters mixed with fun situations and an ok story. What do you get? You get Major League. I rate this movie 6/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The best baseball movie, and maybe the best overall comedy, of all time
josecanter5 November 2015
Major League holds up today not only as the rare sports-themed comedy to balance goofiness and dynamic game atmospherics seamlessly, but also as a fleeting reminder of baseball's last remnants of participatory charm and gee-whiz curveball worship.

In the History of sports there's always been at least two baseball films that has stood out above all the rest. For me it's Major League and The Sandlot. Major League is truly a sports comedy classic. What makes Major League such a winner is the many memorable scenes in the film and characters. Charlie Sheen as "Wild Thing" Vaughn, I mean you gotta love his bad boy character.

As funny as this movie is, it's the vulnerability of the three main stars is really what makes the movie work.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Classic Comedy
gavin69425 November 2015
The new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they will lose and she can move the team. But when the plot is uncovered, they start winning just to spite her.

While this is not the funniest movie or the most cleverly plot (it is actually very formulaic), it works. This is the sort of film that cable TV can play almost every day and people will sit and watch it. They love Wild Thing, they love the young Wesley Snipes.

I sort of like the younger Corbin Bernsen. After his movie career, he had a resurgence thanks o his supporting role on "Psych". It is fun to go back and see him twenty years ago, before he got old enough to play a retired cop!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
'Major League' Anti-Christian Bias
ccthemovieman-113 October 2006
Being a big baseball fan, I was anxious to see this movie. I did enjoy parts of it and got laughs out of Charlie "Wild Thing" Sheen's character as well as a few others. It was nice to see the poor Cleveland Indians wind up winners, too.

But, in addition to being a fan of the game, I am a Christian, too, and the bias against my faith in this movie was disgusting. Had they done this to any other group, I suspect you would have heard an uproar over it.....but Christians are fair game in the film world. Here, the dumbest and most annoying player on the team, of course, is the "religious" guy, "Eddie Harris," played cartoon-ishly by Chelcie Ross. He is pictured as a "nutcase" and a guy nobody likes. On the other hand we have the very likable voodoo-believing Latin American player. His superstitions are given great credence, naturally, with the voodoo actually being something that has real spiritual power. In the end, even Harris starts believing in them! Puh-leeze.

This film is one of the worst examples of Hollywood's prejudice you'll ever see. It's also sad comment that no one else here points this out.
13 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Very funny baseball movie!
Kristine26 November 2006
I have heard pretty much mostly good reviews when it came to Major League, and I am a baseball fan, so I definitely wanted to give Major League a look. I was lucky, my mom has one and two, so last night I finally sat down and watched it and I have to say that I had a few good laughs here and there. I loved the scene where the guys had their first prayer and the monk set a fire for his little doll that he worships and it set off the sprinklers!

Basically, Rachel Pheleps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies, and she doesn't like Cleveland. In order to move the team to a warmer climate like Miami, she has to have a low audience for the games and she hires the worst team possible. But they prove themselves to be more, especially when the team finds out that Rachel wants the team to loose, they pull themselves together to win the games!

Major League had some good laughs and I would recommend it for anyone, even those baseball haters, just have a good time. Charlie Sheen really stole the show as Wild Thing! I loved how he had his sleeves cut off all the time, even for formal events. Major League is a fun comedy that I'm sure anyone could get at least one good laugh out of.

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
"Juuust a bit outside."
grendelkhan28 July 2003
Let me preface this by saying I can't stand baseball; I find it to be one of the most boring sports out there. With that said, I love this film. It has a great "underdog" story, some genuine comedy, great characters, and heart. It's a minor film, but it's thoroughly entertaining. If more films could just be entertaining, I might go to the theater more often.

The heart of this film is the characters. We have the broken down veterans, the rookies, the love interest, the wise old coach, and the villain. These are rather cliched characters, but they are written and performed so well, you don't notice. Much of the humor arises out of character moments, which keeps it from becoming tired or dated.

Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen were hot, coming off of the success of Platoon. Corbin Bernsen was enjoying fame on LA Law. Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes were relative unknowns who got a chance to shine. And then there's Bob Uecker! Uecker is the glue that brings everything together and he gets the best lines in the movie.

You can't go wrong with a film like this. Everything works well and a good time is had by all. Too bad the sequels forgot what made this a success.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not a great movie, but it grows on you
richard-178722 October 2013
This isn't a great movie, certainly, and it starts off particularly weak, but it does grow on you, particularly if you've lived in Cleveland. The characters are all caricatures, of course. There are no 3-dimensional characters here. But as time goes on, and despite their problems, this Cleveland team begins to come together and play well, you start to like them and hope they will do better, perhaps because we're raised to like the underdog.

Some of the success of this movie must go to the director, who knows how to pace things so that we get involved in them, even though most of the characters aren't particularly likable.

So, in the end, you could do worse, and you won't be bored.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I'm paraphrasing from others, but I think this movie works well as a light-hearted comedy
danielmeyer-7674119 June 2018
Can a washed-up womanizer catcher (Tom Berenger), a punked-out crazy ace pitcher, and a handsome but self-centered third-baseman (Corbin Bernsen) put aside their differences and lead Cleveland to an AL pennant? Their manager Lou Brown (James Gammon) as well as Pedro Cerrano (Dennis Haysbert) and the fast but poor-hitting Willy Mays Hayes (Wesley Snipes) hope so, but beautiful but spiteful team owner Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton) and Heywood (Pete Vukovic) of the New York Yankees have other plans.
Some Major League Humor
Uriah4328 November 2017
After her rich husband dies and leaves her as the owner of the Cleveland Indians, "Rachel Phelps" (Margaret Whitton) devises a scheme to relocate the team to Miami. However, in order to do that legally she needs to ensure that attendance at home games falls below 800,000. To that end, she recruits the worst players she can possibly find and anxiously awaits the team's inevitable demise. What she doesn't count on, however, is the player's reaction when they learn of her plan and her total disregard for them as well. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a delightful baseball comedy which had featured good performances by a number of actors. Most notable in that regard was Charlie Sheen (as "Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn"), Tom Berenger ("Jake Taylor"), Corbin Bernsen ("Roger Dorn") and Wesley Snipes ("Willie Mays Hayes"). Likewise, I also enjoyed the performance by Margaret Whitton who played the part in an expert manner. In short, I found this to be an entertaining comedy and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I don't think anybody expected to make an immortal film
Filippo Bellisomo1 September 2017
This movie gets better and better as you watch it.

It' just as good a comedy as there can be. The fun comes out of true character contraposition and not from outlandish or forced jokes. The only thing a little out there is the premise of the team owner wanting it to lose. But for the rest, despite being very genuine and down to earth, it doesn't fail to convey strong and precise artistic goals. It works perfectly. All its parts are arranged in right amounts.

Wild Thing's entrance in the final game is just one of the best moments in movie history, in my view. It's constructed perfectly throughout the movie, it comes at the perfect moment and it releases tons of excitement.

The love story between Jake and Lynn is no solemn thing, but still works perfectly.

And I think one thing that makes it so perfect is that it's surprisingly well acted. In order to do that, it must be well written in the first place. But surely none of these actors fails in any of their scenes. They are all remarkable, especially Sheen, Berenger and Gammon.

The locker-room feeling and the talk between the players is very real. The baseball talk by the speaker during the matches is also right on the line. The overall baseball world and the insight on what the life of a player would be come through neatly.

This way of making movies should be the rule.
Winning Heals All Wounds
Thomas Drufke2 May 2017
If there's any sport that makes for a great movie it's baseball. Perhaps I'm a little bias because I play the sport, but there's something about America's pastime that really hits home in the movies.

Major League tells the made-up (but totally based on the real-life struggles of the Cleveland Indians) story of a group of misfits hired by a new owner to lose as many games as possible, to ensure her plan of moving the team down to Miami. On the outskirts, it seems like a ridiculous premise that would be something out of a spoof movie. But in reality, there's actually a good deal of dramatic heft to the story as well. Luckily, the comedy and drama both balance each other out quite well.

With a memorable cast of misfits, including Charlie Sheen as the fireball pitcher Ricky Vaughn, Tom Berenger as the old but still effective Jake Taylor, Wesley Snipes as Willie Mays Hayes, Dennis Haysbert as the religious Pedro Cerrano, and of course the colorful Bob Uecker as the Indians play by play announcer. With all movies, but specifically with sports movies, you need a group of actors that have chemistry and feel like a team when they're together. Albeit extremely unconventional, the players that make up this Indians team are something else. And even though it seems like the characters are built around stereotypes, the way the actors portray them makes it never feel like stereotypical characters at all. Instead, they make for some of the most quotable lines in the history of sports films.

With that said, the film definitely delves into some paint by numbers plot points for sports films. You have your ups, downs, and montages, just like all of the other great sports pictures. I also find it sometimes difficult to watch a sports film, baseball in particular, because the movies have a hard time capturing how a game flows and looks. There are moments that feel completely acted out and unnatural, and while I can give it a pass in some areas, others I can't. However, overall Major League is a fun and re-watchable sports film that gives us plenty of comedy and a surprising amount of dramatic payoff as well.

P.S. It's funny how it's been 30 more years, and the Indians are still on their World Series drought.

+Blend of comedy and drama

+Memorable characters and performances

-Predictable

8.0/10
Tries To Be A Bit Too Much, But Still A Solid Effort
zkonedog11 March 2017
As a passionate fan of the game of baseball and thus, by extension, films about the national pastime, I have come to the conclusion that there really are just two camps that baseball movies fall into:

First, there is the Kevin Costner style of doing baseball (Field of Dreams, For The Love Of The Game, etc.) that romanticize (almost to a religious level) the game and relate it to real life on a very personal level.

Then, there are films like Little Big League, which don't take themselves seriously at all, yet that is the whole point...as neither do many big league ballplayers! These types of films, while short on plot and substance, are incredibly funny and speak to the type of humor that is needed to emotionally survive such a long "work week" (162-game season).

The film "Major League" is obviously a comedy, as its cast of characters is as goofy as goofy can get. There's the crazy psychopath (played by Charlie Sheen), the high-ego strutter (Wesley Snipes), the crazy voodoo guy (Dennis Haysbert), the serious, play-to-win guy (Tom Berenger), and even the gruff manager who's seen it all and his face never cracks (James Gammon). Plus, even the eccentric announcer ("Juuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside"-Bob Uecker) is thrown into the mix. When that nutty lot is thrown together on the field because the owner of the Cleveland Indians wants attendance to drop so bad that she can move the team out of town, hilarity ensues!

Yet, I actually think that what held this movie back a bit (dropping it from a four to three star rating) was the fact that, at times, it tried to take itself a bit too seriously. This is best personified in the film's focus on Tom Berenger's character, who is the only character that really has any kind of backstory whatsoever. True, his inspiration is needed to rally the troops towards the end of the season, but all the scenes involving his personal life/romance really just make you wish you could get back to the baseball diamond.

Thus, although Major League is considered to be one of the classic baseball films of all-time (and I will admit it has its share of iconic moments and characters), it suffers a bit from wandering too far from the formula that made it that way...comedy. If you don't mind a little clichéd sappiness with your humor, though, you won't have a problem. I recommend watching this film just for the sheer experience of it, but don't be expecting the come away with it ranking in your Top Ten.
Funny, engaging and entertaining
grantss26 November 2016
Rachel Phelps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. However, her plans for the team are rather nefarious. She wants to move the team to Miami for the warmer climate and a new stadium. To justify the move, the team has to lose, and lose badly. So she assembles the worst possible team she can. Among these are a past-his-prime catcher with bad knees, a shrewd but past-his-prime pitcher, a young tearaway pitcher (and felon) with a 100 mph fastball but absolutely no control, a third baseman who is too wealthy and precious to dive, a voodoo-loving slugger who can't hit a curveball and an energetic-but-naive lead off hitter and base- stealer who can't keep the ball on the ground. Against the odds, and after the inevitable initial failures, they iron out some of their faults and start to win, much to Ms Phelps' consternation.

Great baseball movie. Plot is your standard sport fairy tale - a non-hoper team's rise against adversity. While the result is a bit predictable, the journey is very entertaining. Very funny, with some wonderfully diverse and idiosyncratic characters.

Very engaging too. Even though you suspect you know how things are going to pan out, nothing is certain and you get swept along with the movies boundless energy.

One of the best sports comedies, if not sports movies, you'll see.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
great sports film to add to your collection