Major League (1989) Poster

(1989)

Miracle On The Cuyahoga
bkoganbing13 August 2009
Major League was six years too early in its prophecy for success for the Cleveland Indians. I'm old enough to remember when they had a good team back in the Fifties. When I was just a small kid, large Municipal Stadium known without affection as mistake on the lake used to have 70,000 plus crowds because the Indians had such players as Bob Feller, Lou Boudreau, Joe Gordon, and Satchel Paige. But when that team went bad, the larger the stadium and they had the largest in baseball looked all the more empty.

Terry Pluto wrote a book on the history of the Indians failure called The Curse Of Colavito. In 1959 the Indians finished a respectable second to the White Sox in the pennant race that year with Casey Stengel's Yankees having an inexplicable bad season and a distant third. Rocky Colavito led the American League in home runs and he was the most popular fellow in Cleveland. He became one of a select group of Major Leaguers that year to hit four home-runs in one game. And he was traded to the Detroit Tigers for the batting champion, Harvey Kuenn. It was never the same for Cleveland.

Which takes us to the futile Indians of 1989 as futile in real life as they start on screen. The team comes into the possession of a new owner former showgirl Margaret Whitton. Her contract with the city specifies that if the team attendance dips below 700,000 for the season, she can move the team and she wants the warm sun of Miami instead of winters on the Cuyahoga River.

Building a winning team in baseball is a lot harder than what you see in Major League. But this collection of goofballs, misfits, and has beens actually get mad enough and start winning.

Major League has a nice collection of players playing ballplayers like veteran catcher Tom Berenger, narcissistic third baseman Corbin Bernsen, juvenile delinquent rookie pitcher Charlie Sheen known as Wild Thing for his lack of control, Wesley Snipes as center-fielder Willie Mays Hayes and Dennis Haysbert as a Santeria observing power hitter. It is the American League so Haysbert probably is the designated hitter. My favorite in the film is veteran manager James Gammon who pulls this collection together for a winning team.

Major League is a film for baseball and film fans it so nicely blends the interests. As for the Cleveland Indians when Municipal Stadium closed down and they got a new ballpark in Jacobs Field, they actually won a couple of pennants in 1995 and 1997. Of course the process to build the Indians wasn't half as entertaining as Major League is.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrifc Crowd-Pleaser
Michael_Elliott29 February 2008
Major League (1989)

**** (out of 4)

Wonderful crowd-pleaser about a group of misfit baseball players who are thrown together by an owner who hopes they're bad enough so that she can relocate the team to a new city in the off season. The players of the Cleveland Indians find out about this and decide to give it their all to become winners. MAJOR LEAGUE really isn't anything that we haven't seen before in countless sports movies. We have the typical stereotypes and the clichéd story and we all know how it's going to end. With that said, who says you can't take something old and make it fresh and exciting? This here is without question one of the best comedies of the 80s and I really think it keeps getting better with age. The movie really has one terrific scene after another as one can't help but fall in love with these losers, their situation and of course you want to see them win. What works so well is that we're given a terrific cast with Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen leading the way as the wise vet and the wild rookie. The two of them work perfectly well together and certainly help keep the film going at a fast pace. The supporting cast gives us wonderful work by Corbin Bernsen, Margaret Whitton, James Gammon, Wesley Snipes, Charles Cyphers, Dennis Haysbert, Chelcie Ross and Rene Russo. We also have the priceless Bob Uecker who turns in one of the memorable roles in sports film history. The film is perfectly directed by David Ward who perfectly plays up the various comedy routines but he also manages to packs some wonderful tension during the final ballgame as the Indians go up against the Yankees. MAJOR LEAGUE has non-stop laughs from start to finish but we even get a little side romance and of course plenty of dirty jokes. The R-rating really helps this film because it just seems like one of those macho movies where guys talk dirty and it's all wonderfully funny.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great group chemistry in lovable comedy
SnoopyStyle6 April 2014
Former exotic dancer Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton) is left as the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after the old owner died. She wants to move the team to Miami. The team has a lease with the city that has an escape clause if the attendance falls below 800,000. So she has gathered a team of the worst scrap heap players that she can find.

It is so refreshing to have a real MLB team name. The team has such a brilliant chemistry. The standout is Charlie Sheen as Wild Thing, but everybody is an unique character. Dennis Haysbert is amazing as voodoo using Cuban Cerrano. Tom Berenger is the worn out veteran. Even Wesley Snipes is funny back then when he was actually good. The best word to describe this movie is fun.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clichés galore and no real substance but it is amusing in an undemanding and distracting sort of way
bob the moo11 December 2005
When her husband dies of a heart attack, former exotic dancer Rachel Phelps inherits the Cleveland Indians – a baseball team that has "enjoyed" a 34 year slump. She immediately makes her plan clear – to make the team lose so badly that she will be able to move the team to Miami. Her first move is to bring in a whole raft of new players – deadbeats, former stars, no-hopers and such and then bring them under the management of Lou Brown, now working in an auto-repair garage. With all the players in place the team is naturally a mess and start the year as such. But can the misfits pull together as a team to make a hit in the league?

With a plot that is pretty much just one long cliché this film was never going to be anything special but it isn't terrible and it does actually manage to be amiable enough to entertain. A couple of times the narrative tries to do something interesting with the characters but it never gets to the point where you could compare it to the much better Bull Durham and really it shouldn't have bothered. Outside from this there isn't really anything that provides consistent laughs but it does manage to have a vaguely humorous air to it for most of the running time. I suppose it depends how demanding you feel when you watch it but if you accept the clichés then you'll probably buy into the relaxed air it has. This isn't to suggest it is any good (because it isn't) but sometimes it is comforting to be somewhere familiar and you can't get much more familiar than the clichés on display here.

The cast are quite impressive on paper and their collective charisma is part of the reason that the clichéd material actually is amusing. Berenger plays grizzled better than many an actor and is solid in the clichés despite not being able to do anything of value with his subplot with Rene Russo. Sheen and Snipes are both very young looking and play their roles well enough. Bernsen isn't the most convincing but he does alright (again not able to do anything with his more serious subplot though). Russo is totally wasted but Ross, Haysbert and others in the team are reasonably enjoyable while Whitton delivers her character well.

Overall then, hardly the greatest film ever made, or even that good a film but one that just about does enough to be enjoyable if you are in the mood for it. Trading almost totally on clichés the film was never going to be anything special (and it isn't) but the sequels indicate that there must be a market for even stuff this derivative and I suppose that it pretty much delivered all I wanted on a very lazy Sunday evening where I didn't want to think.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Welcome to the Happy Hunting Ground!"
classicsoncall11 December 2012
If this film were made today it would probably be hit with charges of insensitivity and racism against Native American Indians, and I'm trying to think back to when things got so hyper regarding political correctness that you were made to feel guilty about things like the national pastime. This one, led by Bob Uecker, manages to hit all the clichés about redskins, featherheads, tomahawks and going 'off the reservation', but you know what - it's a funny flick and a blast for fans of the game. Granted, it makes use of all the clichés and has the most predictable of plots but the fun is in seeing how the hapless Cleveland Indians overcome their circumstances and become American League Champs. I'm probably not alone in picking the 'Wild Thing' sequence as my favorite part of the picture, coming at just the right time to vault the team to glory in their single playoff game. Every actor here is cast perfectly for their role, and if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be James Gammon as crusty manager Lou Brown who pulls the team together for that final victory to the dismay of team owner Rachel Phelps (Margarter Whitton). I'd have to go along with Uecker here, and give "Major League" a big wahoo.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Comedy
gavin69425 November 2015
The new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they will lose and she can move the team. But when the plot is uncovered, they start winning just to spite her.

While this is not the funniest movie or the most cleverly plot (it is actually very formulaic), it works. This is the sort of film that cable TV can play almost every day and people will sit and watch it. They love Wild Thing, they love the young Wesley Snipes.

I sort of like the younger Corbin Bernsen. After his movie career, he had a resurgence thanks o his supporting role on "Psych". It is fun to go back and see him twenty years ago, before he got old enough to play a retired cop!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Major League' Anti-Christian Bias
ccthemovieman-113 October 2006
Being a big baseball fan, I was anxious to see this movie. I did enjoy parts of it and got laughs out of Charlie "Wild Thing" Sheen's character as well as a few others. It was nice to see the poor Cleveland Indians wind up winners, too.

But, in addition to being a fan of the game, I am a Christian, too, and the bias against my faith in this movie was disgusting. Had they done this to any other group, I suspect you would have heard an uproar over it.....but Christians are fair game in the film world. Here, the dumbest and most annoying player on the team, of course, is the "religious" guy, "Eddie Harris," played cartoon-ishly by Chelcie Ross. He is pictured as a "nutcase" and a guy nobody likes. On the other hand we have the very likable voodoo-believing Latin American player. His superstitions are given great credence, naturally, with the voodoo actually being something that has real spiritual power. In the end, even Harris starts believing in them! Puh-leeze.

This film is one of the worst examples of Hollywood's prejudice you'll ever see. It's also sad comment that no one else here points this out.
14 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes Yes Yes
Quinoa19845 August 2000
This is one of the best baseball sports films ever made. Notg because it exactly depicts the tradition of baseball. Mainly because of a pitcher who can throw a ball at 96 mph at a guys head, a vodoo guy who doubts Jesus Christ's curve ball skills, and a guy named Willy Mayes Hayes who can run like haze but hit like s***. These are the original comedy things added to this great baseball film about the new owner of the Cleavland Indians who wants the team to finish dead last so she can sell the team. That is until the team (which includes Tom Berenger, Cornin Bernson, Charles Cyphers, Wesley Snipes and Charlie Sheen) changes all that. Incredibly funny, and it gets better with each viewing. My favorite moment, when Hays (played by a good newcomer named Wesley Snipes) finds out he made the Indians and just runs outside and goes (Owwwww, yes yes yes). A+
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big league laugh riot!!
michaelRokeefe19 August 2000
This is a very funny baseball movie. An ex-showgirl inherits the Major League Cleveland Indians ball team. This team is mired near the cellar and if they keep losing the new owner can move the team to a better money making locale. This band of misfits suck it up and end up competing for the pennant.

Tom Berenger is an all but washed up catcher that revives this teams pride to become winners. Charlie Sheen, known as the 'Wild Thing', is the bespectacled relief pitcher that helps bring fans back out to the ballpark. Bob Uecker steals the show as the Indians play-by-play announcer Harry Doyle. His one liners really hold the movie together.

Corbin Bernsen plays a lazy infielder with a large ego. Wesley Snipes is the teams base stealing showboat. The gravel voiced team manager Lou Brown is played by James Gammon. The new team owner is Margaret Whitton and she plays the role of bitch to perfection. The lovely Rene Russo is Berenger's love life past and present. Uecker is not the only former ballplayer in the cast. Look for former stars Pete Vuckovich and Steve Yeager.

This movie is laugh out loud funny. Typical foul language is part of the comic relief. You can't make a realistic baseball film without spittin' and cussin'.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Baseball
bevo-136783 April 2020
Great baseball movie. Some really funny bits but can't think of any off hand
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These guys don't look to f**king good!
hitchcockthelegend6 July 2008
Cleveland Indian's owner Rachel Phelps puts together the worst baseball team she can find, the hope is that they finish plum last and she can then relocate the franchise to sunny Florida. However, once the assortment of oddball players get wind of the plan they find a collective goal to achieve, with hilarious results.

Goofy? Well yes it is of course, but Major League has charm in abundance and with a pretty smart cast having fun, the result is a truly enjoyable and laugh filled piece of fluff. Refreshingly you don't have to have any knowledge or a love of baseball to enjoy this movie, it thrives on locker room mentality and crowd demented loyalty for the laughs, to which the pic delivers them at almost every turn. The assorted team members comprise such characters like a religious voodoo nutter and a wild child parolee - and those are the sane ones! The cast is made up of big names, Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes are in tune and in it for laughs, and hopefully you will be as well. Upon its theatrical release it proved to be a popular crowd winner, so much so that (unfortunately) two desperately bad sequels were spawned, so do avoid those at all costs. Instead just settle for this one especially if you are in need of a pick me up.

Wild Thing you make my heart sing, indeed. 7/10
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild thing, you make my heart sing.
lastliberal22 November 2008
There was a lousy football game on so I thought I would wait for a better one and watch this film again. I am glad i did as the game ended 40-10.

The cast of this film is what makes it. They put together a great group to do a movie that is nothing special - losers and has-beens win the pennant.

I like Charlie Sheen and he is worth watching in anything he does, especially "Two and a Half Men." He was perfect in the character of the renegade.

I just saw Corbin Bernsen recently in The Dentist, and he can bring laughs to any movie.

Rene Russo? I love her and even though her part was small, it was great.

Wesley Snipes, Tom Berenger, and Dennis Haysbert all had a unique way of making this a great movie. And, hooray for Stacy Carroll in her only movie. How did they let her get away? I want to thank the Japanese Academy for recognizing this film with a nomination for best Foreign Film. They recognize greatness when they see it.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, engaging and entertaining
grantss26 November 2016
Rachel Phelps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. However, her plans for the team are rather nefarious. She wants to move the team to Miami for the warmer climate and a new stadium. To justify the move, the team has to lose, and lose badly. So she assembles the worst possible team she can. Among these are a past-his-prime catcher with bad knees, a shrewd but past-his-prime pitcher, a young tearaway pitcher (and felon) with a 100 mph fastball but absolutely no control, a third baseman who is too wealthy and precious to dive, a voodoo-loving slugger who can't hit a curveball and an energetic-but-naive lead off hitter and base- stealer who can't keep the ball on the ground. Against the odds, and after the inevitable initial failures, they iron out some of their faults and start to win, much to Ms Phelps' consternation.

Great baseball movie. Plot is your standard sport fairy tale - a non-hoper team's rise against adversity. While the result is a bit predictable, the journey is very entertaining. Very funny, with some wonderfully diverse and idiosyncratic characters.

Very engaging too. Even though you suspect you know how things are going to pan out, nothing is certain and you get swept along with the movies boundless energy.

One of the best sports comedies, if not sports movies, you'll see.
And the Indians still don't have a World Series Pennant
view_and_review12 February 2020
30 years ago the Cleveland Indians were in a 41 year title drought. A little less than four years ago they had a chance to break out of that drought when they put their then 68 year title drought up against the Chicago Cubs 108 year title drought. The Chicago Cubs won.

"Major League" is about the woeful Cleveland Indians and an owner who wants to move the team to Miami. If the team draws less than 800,000 fans on the season then she can uproot the team and relocate them to sunny Miami, Florida where she'll have a mansion in Boca Raton. By fielding the worst team possible she expects that no one will show up to the games and she'll get her wish. Spoiler alert: the team doesn't move. Not to worry, Miami got a team anyway in the Florida Marlins who have won two World Series and the Indians are still waiting.

"Major League" is a worst to first movie. It's a "Bad News Bears" MLB style. It's a cool movie although the love triangle with Rene Russo was lame. I don't know why Hollywood does that. Her character had moved on from ex-husband, Jake Taylor (Tom Beringer), because of his philandering ways, yet he was able to charm his way back into her pants... I mean life... even though she was engaged to be married. It was some lame romance for the female viewer which seems really insulting to me.

Putting the romance aside, the baseball was fun. It was a nice blend of different characters with a unique plot. It's not everyday that your own owner wants you to lose.
Some Major League Humor
Uriah4328 November 2017
After her rich husband dies and leaves her as the owner of the Cleveland Indians, "Rachel Phelps" (Margaret Whitton) devises a scheme to relocate the team to Miami. However, in order to do that legally she needs to ensure that attendance at home games falls below 800,000. To that end, she recruits the worst players she can possibly find and anxiously awaits the team's inevitable demise. What she doesn't count on, however, is the player's reaction when they learn of her plan and her total disregard for them as well. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a delightful baseball comedy which had featured good performances by a number of actors. Most notable in that regard was Charlie Sheen (as "Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn"), Tom Berenger ("Jake Taylor"), Corbin Bernsen ("Roger Dorn") and Wesley Snipes ("Willie Mays Hayes"). Likewise, I also enjoyed the performance by Margaret Whitton who played the part in an expert manner. In short, I found this to be an entertaining comedy and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rather fun baseball flick.
Aaron137517 November 2010
This was a rather fun film featuring the old worst to first team. The catch here is that the owner of the team wants to relocate the Cleveland Indians to Florida or somewhere like that. To accomplish this she proceeds to put together a team that she hopes will be beyond bad. Enter a crew of misfits that feature aging players like Eddie the pitcher, an aging catcher whose knees are not what they used to be Jake Taylor, and Roger Dorn who cares more about life after baseball than playing the game with any passion in the present. Also present are some young guys like Pedro Cerrano who can hit a fastball a mile (a curve not so much), a speedy guy named Willie Mayes Hayes who invites himself to camp and Ricky Vaughn a hard throwing pitcher with no control. Well this team is not as terrible as expected and it is brought to the manager's attention and his plan is to win not only a few games here and there, but the entire division. The movie is funny and has a bit more bite to it than the sequel which is basically this movie again without much Reno Russo as Jake's girl and no Wesley Snipes at all as he is recast. For a baseball film featuring the whole underdogs trying to win it all it does fairly well. I enjoyed Charlie Sheen as the pitcher with a wild fastball that gets good by getting glasses. I also enjoyed Snipes and I was saddened when he was not in the sequel. Basically a good cast and a good funny baseball film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A funny, but brash, adult baseball comedy
SimonJack16 October 2015
This is one of the funniest, but vulgar, adult sports films ever made. And, it's strictly adult, so parents will want to be wary and read the parents guide. But for many adults it's very funny throughout. From several of the reviews I've read, I'm surprised that none of them recognized this as a clever satire as well. It spoofs – mostly in a friendly but brash way – many aspects of professional baseball, from greedy management (not most, thank goodness) to prima donna players. It really has fun with baseball signals, and even the fans.

"Major League" is a funny sports movie, but I can't agree with some who think it ranks among the best of the baseball films. To be in that category, it would have to be watchable by a larger, diverse audience. When it comes to the game, I think the more serious films tell a better story about America's favorite pastime. One of the best is "Pride of the Yankees," the 1942 biopic with Gary Cooper playing Lou Gehrig. Another is the story of Monty Stratton in the 1949 movie, "The Stratton Story," that stars James Stewart. Dan Dailey stars as Dizzy Dean in the 1952 biopic, "The Pride of St. Louis." A recent move, "42" in 2013 tells the story of Jackie Robinson, another great ball player and the first black player to break the color barrier in professional baseball. Other top baseball films include, "The Winning Team" of 1952, "Fear Strikes Out" of 1957, "Bang the Drum Slowly" of 1973, "The Natural" of 1984, "Eight Men Out" of 1988, and "A League of Their Own" of 1992.

These and many other films give a good picture of baseball and what it has meant to Americans since the late 1800s. "Major League," on the other hand, is a spoof of baseball that's meant to entertain with brash comedy. Unfortunately, its appeal mainly is to men who enjoy vulgar humor. Had they toned that down a couple notches, this film could have been a real keeper and enjoyed by many more people. Yes, there is humor without vulgarity, and much more of it.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the great sports comedies
Mr-Fusion18 August 2014
As baseball movies go, MAJOR LEAGUE is my favorite. Been that way since I was a kid, and the laughs are still fresh today. It boasts a terrific collection of characters (pretty much the whole cast - even smartass Bob Uecker - but mostly Berenger, Snipes and Sheen), and MAJOR LEAGUE II even proved that you can't just replace Snipes' charisma with another guy. I love this movie's profane attitude, that these misfits band together in one collective middle finger to the team's shrew owner. There's some real heart here and it's a great down-n-dirty triumph over opposition story.

But at the end of the day, it's a great comedy with more than a few memorable one-liners and a winning sense of humor. It's even a great Cleveland movie. And I always forget, between the editing and the roar of the crowd, just how charged that final game is.

Be ready to wear a smile when the end credits hit, 'cause there's no other possible facial expression. It's just science.

It's a fantastic movie.

0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't strike out...yet
StevePulaski16 March 2011
Major League is not only a comedy film with numerous laughs, it proves itself to be one of the grand-daddies of baseball comedies. A League of Their Own and Bull Durham are also among the list although those are more towards the drama genre. I attend various minor league baseball games a year. Approximately twelve. I love them. Being a Chicagoan, I think I'd rather watch minor league teams than major league teams.

Some may call that strange, but I love the entertainment and the "close to home" feel provided by a minor league game. There are tons of events on the field to keep me interested, and I know pretty much every cop and concession stand employee there thanks to my father. It's an enjoyable time. I walk around most of the game, chat with various officers, it's a damn good time.

On with the film. I can discuss Minors vs. Majors in a separate blog. After the Cleveland Indians' owner dies, her husband Rachel (Whitton) inherits the team. She plans to make the team as poor as possible so they can move the team to Miami. To put it simply, she sabotages the team, the stadium, and everything else in various ways to assure a poor season.

The team is mainly made up of rookies like Willie "Mays" Hayes (Snipes), Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (Sheen), and Jake Taylor (Berenger). They're acceptable players, but no where near as good as they should be.

One thing I really enjoyed and found worthwhile about Major League is the fact that we get closer into Jake Taylor's relationship life. It's good that all the fun doesn't take place on the field, and we get a wider variety and an in-depth look on one player's life. I would've liked to hear more about Lou Brown's (Gammon) career and more about some other players. But at least it's not all about on the field interactions.

Charlie Sheen, James Gammon, and Wesley Snipes were all great in the film. It's a little sad that Gammon died this past July, and news about it really didn't surface too much. Not looking at Gammon's filmography, I assume his career wasn't made up of too many more famous roles like his portrayal of Lou Brown.

Charlie Sheen was extremely hilarious in this film, but watching it only makes me more sad about he just continues to make an ass of himself to the media. His career is going straight into the ground as of now. In this film he was extremely handsome, but now his image makes him look older than he is, and his reputation is plummeting into the ground. Oh well, his role as Wild Thing was, say, WINNING.

Wesley Snipes is fantastic in this as well playing Willy "Mays" Hayes. He is absolutely funny, and a great addition to the cast. Too bad for him as well because since Snipes refuses to pay his taxes, he is in prison until 2013. I really enjoyed him in movies like Blade and Passenger 57.

What truly scares me is that this film has spawned two sequels. This kind of film can only be done well once, passably a second time, and pretty much end horrifically with a third film. Back to the Minors could easily make or break the franchise. Why make a sequel when Berenger and Sheen don't even return? It's all about the benjamins.

Major League can be summed up with a few statements. An enjoyable baseball comedy, a cast of greats, but a cast of people whose lives either ended tragically or just were forgotten.

Starring: Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo, James Gammon, Margaret Whitton, and Wesley Snipes. Diretded by: David S. Ward.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny baseball movie!
Smells_Like_Cheese26 November 2006
I have heard pretty much mostly good reviews when it came to Major League, and I am a baseball fan, so I definitely wanted to give Major League a look. I was lucky, my mom has one and two, so last night I finally sat down and watched it and I have to say that I had a few good laughs here and there. I loved the scene where the guys had their first prayer and the monk set a fire for his little doll that he worships and it set off the sprinklers!

Basically, Rachel Pheleps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies, and she doesn't like Cleveland. In order to move the team to a warmer climate like Miami, she has to have a low audience for the games and she hires the worst team possible. But they prove themselves to be more, especially when the team finds out that Rachel wants the team to loose, they pull themselves together to win the games!

Major League had some good laughs and I would recommend it for anyone, even those baseball haters, just have a good time. Charlie Sheen really stole the show as Wild Thing! I loved how he had his sleeves cut off all the time, even for formal events. Major League is a fun comedy that I'm sure anyone could get at least one good laugh out of.

3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny but not a masterpiece.
MovieAddict201621 August 2003
Funny baseball parody that feels very much like a typical ZAZ comedy (though it isn't one). A team of baseball players (Sheen, Berenger, etc.) all have to play a season of pro baseball, even though they have no talent. Corbin "Made-for-TV-King" Bernsen co-stars.

3.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
entertaining and amusing,though not insanely funny baseball movie
disdressed1222 May 2007
i thought this was a pretty good movie.it wasn't insanely funny or anything,but it had some amusing moments and was certainly entertaining.what i liked about this movie is is the fact that,although it's an underdog story,it is not preachy and schmaltzy.there's very little rah,rah,rah,everyone's a winner clap trap.it just goes to show that a movie can tell an under dog story,without hitting you over the head with it,and making you nauseous.i also liked the unique mix of characters in the movie,with all their quirks.they are really an oddball assortment.i'm not really a baseball fan,but i liked the movie just as a movie,and not so much as a baseball movie.for me,Major League" is a 6/10
The Police Academy of Baseball
thesar-23 April 2019
I must've seen the trailer for this movie many times - I recall only seeing this once before, but I remembered ALL the major scenes and jokes. And I still laughed at all the humor here.

It's harmless fun, with the exception of such a racist mascot/name. Really should change those. But, regardless, the film is a ton of entertainment and laughs. Simple and classic. Total recommendation.

And totally reminds me of the time I pitched for the Wyoming Wyldkats and made it all the way to the superbowl, until my arm got too sore to throw three-points. Shoot...not April 1st anymore. Skip this last part.
Winning Heals All Wounds
ThomasDrufke2 May 2017
If there's any sport that makes for a great movie it's baseball. Perhaps I'm a little bias because I play the sport, but there's something about America's pastime that really hits home in the movies.

Major League tells the made-up (but totally based on the real-life struggles of the Cleveland Indians) story of a group of misfits hired by a new owner to lose as many games as possible, to ensure her plan of moving the team down to Miami. On the outskirts, it seems like a ridiculous premise that would be something out of a spoof movie. But in reality, there's actually a good deal of dramatic heft to the story as well. Luckily, the comedy and drama both balance each other out quite well.

With a memorable cast of misfits, including Charlie Sheen as the fireball pitcher Ricky Vaughn, Tom Berenger as the old but still effective Jake Taylor, Wesley Snipes as Willie Mays Hayes, Dennis Haysbert as the religious Pedro Cerrano, and of course the colorful Bob Uecker as the Indians play by play announcer. With all movies, but specifically with sports movies, you need a group of actors that have chemistry and feel like a team when they're together. Albeit extremely unconventional, the players that make up this Indians team are something else. And even though it seems like the characters are built around stereotypes, the way the actors portray them makes it never feel like stereotypical characters at all. Instead, they make for some of the most quotable lines in the history of sports films.

With that said, the film definitely delves into some paint by numbers plot points for sports films. You have your ups, downs, and montages, just like all of the other great sports pictures. I also find it sometimes difficult to watch a sports film, baseball in particular, because the movies have a hard time capturing how a game flows and looks. There are moments that feel completely acted out and unnatural, and while I can give it a pass in some areas, others I can't. However, overall Major League is a fun and re-watchable sports film that gives us plenty of comedy and a surprising amount of dramatic payoff as well.

P.S. It's funny how it's been 30 more years, and the Indians are still on their World Series drought.

+Blend of comedy and drama

+Memorable characters and performances

-Predictable

8.0/10
Major Comedy
tfrizzell21 October 2000
"Major League" is a funny and yet somewhat serious and dramatic film about the woeful Cleveland Indians. Their new owner (Margaret Whitton) has brought together the worst players so the team will lose more games than anyone else in baseball. Why? Well, she wants the attendance to be so low that she will be able to move the team to Miami and then buy the players to make the franchise successful. The has-beens and never-will-bes include catcher Tom Berenger, third baseman Corbin Bernsen, center-fielder Wesley Snipes, and wild pitcher Charlie Sheen. However after a rocky start, the team comes together and begins winning. They unite the city and unite the team in grand fashion. "Major League" is a film that tries to be more than it is and almost succeeds. On first glance it is a pure comedy, but does have some dramatic aspects as well. This makes the film somewhat uneven and disjointed, but somehow it still over-achieves for the most part. Far from a masterpiece, but it is still a good film overall. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.