Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) Poster

Quite possibly one of the best sequels of all time...
MovieAddict201620 September 2003
"Lethal Weapon 2" is the type of sequel you don't screw with, for fear of getting seriously beat up if you do. Luckily the praise comes as easily as the film is good -- and boy, is it good.

If you haven't seen "Lethal Weapon" (1987), get off your computer, drop that Cheez-It out of your hand, rush to your closest video outlet and buy it. If you have seen it, then drop that Cheez-It out of your hand, rush to your closest video outlet and buy the sequel, "Lethal Weapon 2." It's a real ball-breaker, a bruiser, the type of film where the heroes get beat up mercilessly but when they get mad, boy are they mad, and they tear apart everything in their path that is standing in their way. There's a particular shoot-out scene aboard a docked ship where Riggs (Mel Gibson) goes on a rampage and really kicks butt with a vengeance.

But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

The film opens with a high-speed car chase on a freeway in Downtown LA. Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) are in hot pursuit, tearing up Murtaugh's wife's brand-new car as they chase the speeder through an underground tunnel, up a bridge, and so on and so forth.

When they finally catch the speeder they find African gold hidden in the back of his truck. Soon they are being threatened to stay off of the case by African diplomats, one of whom Riggs really enjoys annoying. They can't arrest them because of diplomatic immunity, so Riggs goes in and shoots up the place where they're staying.

Riggs finds himself a new girl (Patsy Kensit), while Murtaugh protects a federal witness named Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), a lovable little blabbermouth who likes being one of the cops. He waddles around throughout the film like a little eager puppy, ready to do anything he's told. Of course Riggs and Murtaugh pick on him throughout the movie, but their friendship is a sort of love-to-hate, explained in "Lethal Weapon 4" (1997).

What a hard action movie/sequel this is. I had heard nothing very positive about this movie until right before I saw it. I sat down, watched it directly after I watched "Lethal Weapon," and realized just how great of a sequel it really is. It's not repetitive -- it continues the character progression and friendship seen at the end of "Lethal Weapon," while at the same time adding a bit more humor than the first film.

One of the things I praise about the first "Lethal Weapon" movie is that the characters didn't just suddenly agree to like each other at the end of the movie like so many films. They gradually learned to trust each other throughout the film, adding a sense of true friendship and realism to the film. In "Lethal Weapon 2," the friendship between Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh is definitely expanded more to the point where they're best buddies. Most of the time when there is a sequel to a cop-buddy film, the directors and writers are afraid to continue the friendship. They seem to forget the end of the original film, and in the second film the characters hate each other again and the progress of friendship starts all over again. (As seen in such films as "Another 48 Hrs.")

But "Lethal Weapon 2" is brave -- it isn't afraid to continue the story. I think that might be part of what makes it such a great, well-rounded series. It never really repeats itself, it always seems eager to move forward and ignore the past. The first film was a humorous, hard cop-buddy film about two opposites learning to trust each other. The second movie is a continuation of their friendship. The third film is almost a full-out comedy. And the fourth film is a tribute to the first three. Darn good film-making here.

"Lethal Weapon 2" is quite possibly one of the best sequels of all time. It avoids repetitions, it avoids cop-buddy clichés, and when it all comes down to it, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover and Joe Pesci are such an amazing trio, that even if this film did follow the routine procedures I'd still love it. And you can't say that about many movies.
91 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An action movie with heart
matthewshanereaves18 December 2004
Many action flicks over the years have been called loud and dumb. This is no exception. The "Lethal Weapon" series has never been especially noted for its intellect but it has something that a lot of action films lack: heart. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover's winning chemistry created some of the most tender moments in the series and "Lethal Weapon 2" excels because they make the audience care about their characters. This movie is by far the best in the series with tones of moments registering directly to the viewer. Gibson and Glover provide these characters with depth that could easily have been lacking and the ending of this film leaves the audience actually feeling the love these two men have for each other. And, as a bonus, "Lethal Weapon 2" digs even deeper into one of the protagonist's past, shedding even more light as to why he is the way he is.
53 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A complete review in as short as possible...
PeoplesBadmash7 August 1999
Lethal Weapon 2: A complete review in as short as possible

If you're looking for an extremely enjoyable movie, in all aspects of the word "enjoyable" i seriously recommend this masterpiece! It has everything anyone can ask for: a star-studded cast, excellent performances, masterful directions, engrossing story, amazing action-sequences, witty dialogue, sensational sound track, and this is just the beginning! And if this is not MAGIC then I don't know what is!

Gibson's Riggs and Glover's Murtaugh are amazing, the chemistry here is absolutely amazing! Each complements the other perfectly and the inclusion of Pesci's Getz is the best thing that could have ever happened to the movie.

It's not just the performances either. LW2 is an excellent follow-up to the original that spawned 4 sequels and is a MUST-SEE. As a matter of fact, I personally find it to be the best movie throughout the series. Do not pass this one up!

Oomph!-scale (from 5) : *****
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God, I love this job!
MinorityReporter29 May 2005
First of all this movie is almost as good as the original. It retains all of the elements that made the first film so darn entertaining and adds some new elements.

As all actors from the first movie appear in the second one as well its pretty clear what you can expect acting wise and surprise, surprise: The acting is still stellar, close to perfection. Mel Gibson is always good and in the second installment of the series he gets to be a little more wild and add even more nuances to the character. For example we get to see Riggs hit on women which adds an entire new side to him as the side we saw in the first film was of him mourning. Also we find out how his wife dies in a beautifully underacted scene (if you want to know how she dies you'll have to see the movie). Danny Glover returns as well and he plays the character pretty much as he did in the first film which is good because the character he plays is the one who is not supposed to change. He is meant to be square and combined with the character of Riggs this becomes highly entertaining. However, a new element is put into the mix to make it even more entertaining, Leo Getz, played beautifully by Joe Pesci and is to this day still one of his most memorable characters. He is funny and fast talking but most importantly: he is a crook and when you put him together with Riggs and Murtaugh the mix becomes explosive. The main villains are played by Joss Ackland and Derrick O'Connor and they are also good and a bit more developed than the villains of the first movie obviously because they had to focus more on the relationship between Riggs and Murtaugh in the first movie. Riggs' love interest is played Patsy Kensit and she is good if a bit underdeveloped.

The story is excellent and is almost better than the story in the first one. It is entertaining and funny and best of all the incredible chemistry between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover is maintained and is almost as good as it was in the first movie. Furthermore the addition of Joe Pesci was a very nice touch because he immediately makes the scenes with him, Gibson and Glover even more interesting and entertaining. The plot with the villains is kept relatively simple like in the first film, which is good because the goal for the film is entertainment not to be thought provoking.

The action of the film is kept in the same style as in the first movie and it is still both exhilarating and entertaining. The effects are still relatively realistic and this of course gives the movie a level of credibility that is sorely needed in many modern action movies.

All in all a worthy sequel and an excellent film on its own.

52 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Magic
oonagimakii11 February 2003
The first one was hard core. It was all about drugs, intrigue and Vietnam. It was also about Riggs' suicidal tendencies. It was serious. Too serious. That was awesome. This one is about a lighter, gentler Riggs. The same Murtaugh I'm afraid but a lighter gentler Riggs-for a while that is. Reasons why this film is better than the original: 1. Leo Getz, 2. Same chemistry but with a tighter bond, 3. Comic relief, 4. Truly despicable villains, 5. Revenge story that pops out of nowhere really (this is quite surprising for a Gibson flick mind you). This one's the best of the series. Part three was a joke. Part four...I dunno what the hell that one was. Part one was pure setup baby. This is the one. >
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best of the Series!
abrahamset16 February 2019
This is my fave of all of the Lethal Weapon movies. It has the great action of the first one and the comedy is even better. Joe Pesci is very funny, and unlike the later movies where they use him too much and he gets old, he doesn't get too annoying in this one, and he stays funny. Great performances, great action and comedy story. Glover and Gibson are great.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A winning formula - better than the original
941578 December 1999
When I saw the first Lethal Weapon movie (admittedly I was underaged at the time) I thought a better flick could never be dreamed of. I was wrong, its all here the chemistry between Glover & Gibson is better than ever, the action is faster and to my lasting surprise the comedy has been much improved.

The inclusion of Joe Peschi as the whinny Leo Getz was a master stroke and finally completed the picture.

SEE IT!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An action gem
DarthVoorhees25 September 2015
'Lethal Weapon 2' is the absolute perfect example of why the eighties were the renaissance of the action film. I've seen so many bad action films that it becomes hard to decipher what makes an excellent one but I feel that 'Lethal Weapon 2' should be studied as an example. It has all the ingredients I think are essential to making a good action film. The movie most importantly has incredible loud action sequences that have weight because they aren't mired in computer effects or post production trickery and have stunt performers. It also isn't fearful in indulging in violence without being gratuitous. It isn't realistic and there's theatricality but it's not at the two extremes of cartoony blood or PG-13 action fast cuts when someone gets shot. It has grit and blood but it's also so alive with great characters.

Most importantly are the characters and the acting. This film solves the problem of the first film in having memorable villains. The whole South Africa apartheid villainy is played for all the hate you can project on these goofy characters. Joss Ackland is so delightful. His performance masterfully skates at being just campy enough to get all the smiles you can without going into the ridiculous. But of course the bulk of the praise must go to the leads. Glover and Gibson are so charismatic and likable that the scenes where they drive to the shoot outs are still highly entertaining.

I had a ball revisiting this one.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Best Sequels Ever Made
slightlymad2227 December 2014
Continuing my plan to watch every Mel Gibson movie in order, I come to Lethal Weapon 2

Plot In A Paragraph: The boys are back in town as L.A.P.D. officers, Martin Riggs (Gibson) and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) who must protect an federal witness (A brilliant Joe Pesci), while taking on a gang of South African drug dealers hiding behind their diplomatic immunity.

It's easy to forget how big this movie actually was in 1989. Batman was the big movie of the year, and there was loads of sequels, Indiana Jones 3, Back To The Future 2, Ghostbusters 2, Star Trek V and a Bond movie. I don't think many people expected it to do as well as it did. But by toning down the violence and upping the fun, it ended up the third highest grossing movie of 1989. I'm probably in the minority, but I think this is better the the first movie, and is the highlight of the series.

I love the chemistry between Gibson and Glover, they seem to have a real affection for each other. And they both look like they enjoy playing off Joe Pesci, who is a welcome addition to the cast, at times it's like watching the three stooges (that's a compliment) Patsy Kensit looks absolutely gorgeous. The surprise to me is how menacing Joss Ackland was as Arjen Rudd the villain of the movie, he is superb.

It has a few problems, continuity errors and poor stunt doubles, but it's well directed, well acted with great pacing, and the perfect balance of big action and big laughs. Although I'm not sure how I feel about the "happier ending" than what Shane Black wrote (with Riggs dying) but without it, there would be no Lethal Weapon 3 or 4.

With a domestic gross of $147 million Lethal Weapon 2 (only Batman and Indian Jones out grossed it) was by far the highest hit of Gibson's career.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really lethal sequel
coverme68 August 2000
Mel Gibson and Danny Glover return to kick heads and shoot bad guys for the second time, as Riggs and Murtaugh, the "Oscar and Felix" of law enforcement in "Lethal Weapon 2." This time

around, the boys are forced to become the 3 Stooges when they are assigned to guard a feisty, foul-mouthed federal witness named Leo Getz (the frantic Joe Pesci) from a group of sadistic Afrikaner thugs (led by the usually dark-natured character actor Joss Acklund). At the same time, Riggs meets a new love named

Rika (the hot Patsy Kensit), who happens to be a pawn in the

villain's dangerous games.

The action is faster and more furious in this sequel to the

slam-bang original. Even the banter gets a boost, thanks to the

added comedic riff by Pesci. Watch for his slightly annoying,

yet hilarious speech on a Subway tunafish sandwich!
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best sequels ever made
Fanatic_movie_goer6 September 2013
Riggs and Murtaugh are back and it's good that there back because that means that we will watch a great movie. I have seen all the Lethal Weapon-movies and they are all great, well except the last one. But I'm here to review Lethal Weapon 2.

I have always liked the chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh. They have a real partner ship between them. All the time they are going to a new adventure and the can always make you laugh.

The movie is the best Lethal Weapon I have seen and the movie is entertaining. The movie has a great plot and the new characters in the movie are great also. We will also see the first time Leo, who is played by Joe Pesc, who is one of the funniest characters in this movie.

There is nothing I don't like in this movie. Watch it now!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Double the lethal, double the weapon, double the fun! :D
Smells_Like_Cheese7 July 2005
A terrific sequel to one of the first action duo films that worked well. Adding Joe Pesci to the cast, what a great choice! He was so funny, together, Mel, Danny, and Joe are the three stooges of Lethal Weapon. They work together so well. This movie has everything that you could want: action, romance, comedy, and drama.

Again, like in my last Lethal Weapon comment, must we go on for ten sentences? I mean, is it just me or isn't that a little silly? I think so. It's like, you can't just put down you liked the movie or hated it? I miss the old IMDb! *sob!*

PS: Ask me questions about the movie if you have doubts about me witnessing it's glory.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revoking the visa...
fmarkland328 January 2007
This time our favorite mismatched cops (Mel Gibson and Danny Glover) take on South African diplomats (who I think are German) who are taking advantage of the system by using their status to deal drugs, after numerous warnings from the dealers, as well as near death experiences, our favorite two cops go out with all pistols blazing in a thrilling climax which ends in explosive fashion. I think the main reason why in 1989, I couldn't enjoy the ultra-lame Tango And Cash which came out that year (though at the end of the year) was because I had seen this earlier and this to me was the real thing. Lethal Weapon 2 is one of those movies that still manages to entertain years after its release. I saw this as a teenager and thought it was the greatest thing ever and even now this is one of my most prized DVDs in my collection. Lethal Weapon 2 is a very exciting movie and when I look at other enjoyable movies that fall in the mismatched buddy/cop genre (Lethal Weapon 1, I Come In Peace, Beverly Hills Cop 1+2, Last Boyscout and Rush Hour) Lethal Weapon 2 always stands head and shoulders above the rest, indeed it is tied with 48 HRS as my favorite Cop/Buddy movie off all time. I think the thing that gives this movie that extra enjoyment is that we actually care about characters, the acting is very well done and overall it's directed with a brutal punch which back up the action. Also Joe Pesci's comic relief wasn't annoying (like it would be in the later sequels) in fact his comic timing actually works. This is a great example of genre film-making and is a must see for fans of the genre.

* * * * out of 4-(Excellent, a must see!)
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They're back, they're bad. He's black, he's mad.
PredragReviews6 April 2017
As much as Lethal Weapon may have stepped outside its genre trappings to strike an unexpected chord, its sequel was the film that gave the series the legs it needed to continue onward and upward. While it still plumbs some dark, painful subject matter for its lead characters, Lethal Weapon 2 skews lighter by treating the Murtaugh-Riggs dynamic as the stuff of fruitful comedy, an approach intensified by the slightly annoying, but still faithfully endearing, Leo Getz character, whom Joe Pesci makes all his own.

But it's the supreme comfort of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, with both each other and the script that rockets this to the top of buddy movies to such an extent that it became ripe for parody. The director again proves his command of this material with a handful of memorable scenes, and especially his use of Gibson in his trademark "lethal weapon" scenes, which coined the franchise title. Even though Gibson is a lot less depressed in this film you still completely believe him as a guy that has nothing to lose.

It's fair to say that this is Gibson's movie, because it's written that way. Some of Riggs' back story is filled in and he even gets a love interest in the slender form of Patsy Kensit. Riggs cracks the jokes and does the outrageous mental stuff, while Glover's (still doing fine work in Gibson's shadow) Murtaugh continues to be the counter opposite. Tho some of the astute written sequences involving Murtaugh and the South African core of the story are excellently handled by Glover. But regardless of character development and nifty political observations, it's the action that dominates proceedings. Director Richard Donner has a wail of a time putting the cast thru their paces. There's explosions, fights, shoot-outs, more high speed pursuits, and on it goes till we get to the finale, a potential cliffhanger one too.

Overall rating: 9 out of 10.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fine Sequel
mjw230523 January 2005
Riggs and Murtaugh now face a bunch of south African criminals hiding behind their diplomatic immunity. The duo have to fight for their right to fight back, as the criminals declare war on the cops, and arouse the lethal weapon in Riggs.

The introdction of Joe Pesci's character is a little annoying at first but it soon grows on you and he adds a focus for the comedy element.

Richard Donner again directs the cop duo and again we have a movie well worth watching.

Plenty of action, a few more laughs and a lethal weapon that is still just as sharp, all combine to deliver another great outing for Riggs and Murtaugh.

22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The unbeatable chemistry continues on from the original Lethal Weapon. Still just as good as the original.
Cinemaniac198425 August 2015
Lethal Weapon 2 doesn't recycle ideas and plot points from the first movie, but instead expands on the first movie by developing Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh's personal lives, the introduction of new villains, and the addition of a third sidekick which adds plenty of moments of humour. The action is still just as good, and there is still plenty to enjoy about Lethal Weapon 2.

Lethal Weapon 2 wastes no time getting started as we see LAPD Detectives Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) in the middle of a police pursuit through the streets of Los Angeles with an unidentified suspect driving a red BMW which turns out to be transporting a trunk full of gold Krugerrands. There is an illegal smuggling operation which is being spearheaded by South African consul-general Arjen Rudd (Joss Ackland) and his chief enforcer Pieter Vorstedt (Derrick O' Connor) however they are blatantly doing so while hiding behind the fact they have "Diplomatic Immunity". Captain Harris (Steve Kahan) assigns Riggs and Murtaugh to babysit the irritating, obnoxious and overeager Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), a federal witness who is going to testify against the South African smuggling operation. Riggs also finds himself a love interest, Rika Van Den Haas (Patsy Kensit) who is also Rudd's secretary at the South African Consulate. Rudd and Vorstedt continue to deceitfully continue their smuggling operation while hiding their diplomatic credentials and Riggs and Murtaugh vow to take them down.

Lethal Weapon 2 adds a lighter comedic element with the introduction of Joe Pesci as Leo Getz. It's hard to believe upon seeing Leo Getz that Joe Pesci would later net himself an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor as the volatile Tommy De Vito in Goodfellas (1990). Here in Lethal Weapon 2, Pesci's Leo Getz is nothing more than an irritating annoyance but enhances the comic relief to counterbalance the violent action scenes.

It was great to see Mel Gibson and Danny Glover continue their dynamic partnership as Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh. Lethal Weapon 2 is a perfect example of a sequel that continues the story and introduces more elements rather than rehashing the story from the first movie. Joss Ackland and Derrick O'Connor were excellent as the chief villains of the movie. Patsy Kensit adds sex appeal as the beautiful Rika Van Den Haas who finds herself caught up in the war between the LAPD and the South African criminals.

Keep an eye out for Dean Norris (TV's Breaking Bad), Jeanette Goldstein (Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and Mark Rolston (The Departed) in small roles.

Director Richard Donner has continued to weave his magic as a director and has struck box office gold with the success of Lethal Weapon 2 as one of the biggest movies of 1989.

What can you say about Lethal Weapon 2? There's never a dull moments with plenty of action-packed scenes along with plenty of humour. A definite must for all Lethal Weapon fans as well as fans of action.

9/10.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best episode in the Lethal Weapon Saga
OMTR4 March 2019
Two years after having "shot Air America down" in LA, Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh are cracking down on another fascist gang: White supremacist South-African Nazis who are drug dealers hiding behind diplomatic immunity. In this second episode, Martin finds a new love interest embodied by sweet and lovely Patsy Kensit A great antifacist and antiracist movie, and one of the best films of 1989 (a great year at the movies).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sequel that is just as good as the original
TheLittleSongbird10 July 2017
Coming from somebody who really enjoyed the first 'Lethal Weapon', while not considering it quite perfect, this is quite high praise. Although there are sequels that are as good as their predecessors is nearly better ('Godfather Part II', 'Terminator 2', 'Aliens') there are many others that don't measure up and some even disgracing them.

'Lethal Weapon 2', thank goodness, is not one of those films. But saying that it is almost as good as the first 'Lethal Weapon' is genuinely meant, even if it is not in the same league as the three sequels listed above that are almost as good and nearly better. 'Lethal Weapon 2' has its faults but the good things are many and very obvious to spot.

It is let down a little by a script that's at times inconsistent, with the tone sometimes forced and confused and like it's trying to do too much. While the action is mostly great, the helicopter scene is somewhat implausible, more so than most of the script in the first film.

Most of the performances are spot on, but two didn't really do it for me. One was Patsy Kensit, who is attractive but looks lost. The other is Joss Ackland's hammy villain who looks like he belongs in another film entirely. Not things that everybody is going to share but just personal opinion.

However, like 'Lethal Weapon', the way 'Lethal Weapon 2' is shot and designed screams slick and stylish while Richard Donner once again directs with an assured hand. The score is atmospheric and groovy.

Despite not finding all the script working, a lot of it does with some cracking, sometimes hilarious humour, tension and dark pathos. The story is tightly structured and plotted, with some great tension and always being fun. Loved the bathroom scene, one of the best and most unique on film.

Once again, the action is slick and bursts with excitement and tension, apart from one that suffers from excessive implausibility. It is very easy to see why the chalk and cheese chemistry of the polar opposite characters of Riggs and Murtaugh became so popular, very rarely in a buddy-cop film has this kind of chemistry been so entertaining and perfectly pitched.

Mel Gibson continues to excel in a performance as witty and intense has before. Danny Glover gives Murtaugh the right amount of spirit, subtlety and no-nonsense attitude. They are matched well by Joe Pesci, who is a motormouth delight, and Derrick O'Connor who gives much more of a sinister edge than Ackland (have noticed that in both films that the henchman has always been the more memorable and better played than the lead villain).

In summary, very well done and just as good. 7/10 Bethany Cox
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On a par with the first.
BA_Harrison1 October 2013
With the possible exception of Martin Rigg's mullet, which actually looks like it's been given a bit of a trim, everything about Lethal Weapon 2 is bigger than the first movie: the explosions are more explosive, the shoot-outs more shooty, the car crashes more crashy, the widdly guitar more widdly, and the warbling sax more warbly. As 80s action flicks go, this is definitely one of the best for spectacular vehicular chaos, ballistic mayhem, random acts of death and destruction, and tuneless music.

Jeffrey Boam's script delivers on all counts, matching Shane Black's original in terms of wit, pathos, and excitement, and although it does introduce what would become one of the most irritating characters in cinematic history—fast talking money launderer Leo Getz (Joe Pesci)—at least Boam has the good sense to inflict a lot of pain and suffering on the guy in the process, Leo getting more than a few bruises as the story progresses.

Seasoned Hollywood director Richard Donner handles proceedings well, balancing the light-hearted moments and the gritty action just right (a trick he seems to have forgotten come part 3), and with the benefit of a bigger budget than before, he gets to pull off some truly impressive action scenes, including the amazing destruction of an entire house on stilts.

Part 2 also benefits immensely from a pair of memorable villains—South African diplomat Arjen Rudd, played by Joss Ackland, and his truly wicked henchman/assassin Pieter (Derrick O'Connor), and the welcome presence of the wooden but still very lovely Patsy Kensit, who very kindly strips off for a sex scene (the price we must pay for that pleasure is yet another Mel Gibson ass shot, but at least it's only a side view— not a full on crack shot like in the first film!).
Great sequel
SMLA112 June 2002
This movie is an excellent sequel to an amazing movie. This movie has the great duo of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are back this time, thwarting South African diplomats. they are joined by Joe Pesci, who might I add is very good. The plot is simple, as I told the plot before. The direction is very good, as was the last one. Sadly, I have to say, this one set off the not so great part 3.

Overall the movie is good on many angles and very enjoyable to watch. Rating 10 out of 10.
Worthy Sequel
TERMINATOR18016 February 2002
What can you say about this movie, other than it's the same two guys (Gibson and Glover), new wisecracks, new story, and a new character (Joe Pesci). The addition of Joe Pesci at first had me worried, but it really worked out. The three embark on an adventure filled with action and humor.

****/***** Stars
the best LW film!
Indy-524 March 2000
i am not such a big fan of this series, Lethal Weapon was a bore, LW 3 sucks majorly, and LW 4 was even worse. I didn't have such high hopes for this one when i saw it on tv, but finally i liked it very much! This film is definitely the best in the LW series: it has the best story and best action and best villains and best humor. I just loved Joe Pesci, he's got a tendency to whine, but he's very funny (anything you need, Leo Getz, get it? It's very good, i use it to break the ice with my clients). The scene with the bomb in the toilet was great, very funny, although i think Roger's character was a bit wasted throughout the film.

Anyway, the chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh is better than ever and the scenes with Riggs and the nazi's or whatever they were, were very funny. I recommend this film to action and comedy fans.
Lethal Weapon 2
kairingler16 June 2009
i thought the opening sequence was great,, the chase scene,, the rubbers scene was good too, making fun of Murtaugh's daughter's commercial,, this one gets serious bunch of cops get killed in this one,, you also find out what happens to Rigg's wife from before the first one,, this time Riggs and Murtaugh are dealing with the South Africans,, and Krugerands,, Joe Pesci seems to brilliantly steals the show as Leo Getz,, get it, what you want Leo Gets,, haha lol, so anyway he's just has the best line ever in this,,, they f you at the drive thru,, wow amazing,, very true also,, i liked the fast pacing of this movie,, the stunts were great,, the house on the stilts.. the guy that gets the surfboard where his brain used to be,, this just really doesn't get any better than this,, Mel Gibson's line, that's downtown L.A. on the 3 days of the year you can actually see it , without all that smog, just a great movie,, funny as heck also.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slightly better than the first
zetes11 May 2008
A worthy sequel. In fact, I think it's a bit of an improvement, with tighter plotting and more kinetic action sequences. I also liked, to my surprise, the addition of Joe Pesci as a witness Riggs and Murtaugh are protecting. Yes, he's more than a tad annoying, but he's annoying in a mostly funny way. I also very much liked Mel Gibson's love interest, played by the cute Brit Patsy Kensit, who unfortunately never made it very big. The sequence with the bomb attached to Murtaugh's toilet is classic, and the shot with the woman cop getting blown off her diving board is (unintentionally) hilarious. Also side-splitting: the aging henchman played by Derrick O'Connor, who becomes a master of kung fu whenever the shot gets dark enough for a stunt double to take his place.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, some interesting points
Ampers16 February 2003
The first point I found interesting is that it was evident they used real South Africans as extras in the film. In one scene one of the extras called out "Jou Moer" to our intrepid heroes.

"Jou Moer" translates into English, quite unmistakenly, as "You C*nt". As this was still in it, years later, when I just saw it for the second time, I feel that nobody in America check unidentified words for their true meaning.

This has given many South Africans high amusement over the years and they may not be well disposed towards me for spilling the beans.

Another thing was that Patsy Kensit played the part of an Afrikaaner (A Dutch descent South African and, whilst an English descent South African might say she (or he) hates his country, an Afrikaaner would never say that. He or she might say they hate the government but they would NEVER say they hate their country.

But apart from that, a good film, and it gave me so much amusement to see they hadn't cut out the offending word.

From an English rooinek.

Andrew
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.