Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) Poster

Best film in the second series
dee.reid10 August 2001
Gojira vs. Biorante (or Godzilla vs. Biollante as it's know here in the USA) opens up right where Godzilla 1985 left off. A group of scientists searching through the rubble that was once Tokyo make an interesting discovery: Godzilla Cells. These "Godzilla Cells" are actually palm-sized flakes of Godzilla's skin that were either scratched or blown off. Now many different groups of people are fighting to get these cells and one group in particular called Bio Major, which is an American terrorist organization, will stop at nothing to get these cells, even if they have to release Godzilla from his volcanic prison. On a lighter note, a prominent Japanese scientist who lost his only daughter in a terrorist bombing, combines the Godzilla Cells with the cells of a rose plant. Once these cells are joined together, they form a monstrous rose that the scientist names Biollante. Now Godzilla gets loose and pretty soon you can guess that Godzilla and Biollante are going to go at it.

This is in fact my favorite Godzilla movie in the second generation of Godzilla films. It has a real dark tone and a really haunting score. It should also be pointed out that the film is probably the most violent in the second generation of Godzilla films. I say this because there are several bloody shoot-outs, Godzilla gets stabbed in his side by one Biollante's tendrils, a man is strangled to death, and a man is disintegrated by electricity.

Finally, has anyone noticed that the Godzilla costume in this movie is different than the one in Godzilla 1985? I think that is because the costume in G-1985 was stolen and was rumored to be worth over $100,000.

Anyway, Godzilla vs. Biollante gets a 10/10.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Toho's Best Godzilla Movies
FilmExpertWannabe24 April 2011
Despite its less than stellar performance at the box office in Japan, I actually think this is one of the better Godzilla films in the entire 29 (as it stands currently) movie series. For one thing, the plot is a lot more interesting and topical than the traditional beings from outer space or what have you. The character development isn't note worthy, which admittedly is one of the weaknesses of Godzilla films. Special effects work was quite good, on the other hand.

Biollante herself is a wonder all her own, and she just might be the most original creation that is featured in a Godzilla movie. Her second/final form is amazing looking, although something other than a giant rose would've be preferred for the initial form. Her final form continues to hold the record for largest Toho monster. As a bit of an aside, it's a darn shame that Toho perceived Biollante's box office performance to indicate that audiences wanted to see almost exclusively Showa series monsters that Godzilla has already fought (multiple times in some cases).

Downsides? Well, there is arguably too much going on for the humans. The new young military general heading the Super X II and greater anti-G mission seemed to be unnecessary for this film. It's just something that could've been trimmed being that it didn't add to the film in my opinion. Conversely, I wish they'd have explained a bit more regarding the agent following the agents following the G cells (did you catch that?). It isn't confusing in the film, but it could've been finished/explored a little better.

Garnering an 8/10 from me, this is one of highest ratings I give any Godzilla film. A must see for anyone interested in giant monster movies, not just Godzilla. Perhaps that's the real message I'd like to convey. It's actually a good giant monster film, with no need to follow it up with something like "for a Godzilla movie". The real downside with this movie has nothing to do with the movie itself. You will only find official VHS copies if you're a region one consumer (American or Canadian). That's a real bummer in a world that upgraded to DVDs years ago. I still have my VHS copy (in widescreen!), but I'd really like them to offer region one DVDs and Blu-Rays.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Godzilla movies with a distinctive plot.
OllieSuave-00726 November 2000
This is a Godzilla movie that tells a very different story than the previous films. The root of the story all lies on one aspect-the Godzilla cell. The plot is solid and intriguing - a story about some of the world's power-hungry people who want to get their hands on some Godzilla DNA for their own devious purposes. When the Japanese refuse to hand over the DNA, terrorists release Godzilla from his lair and he begins a new spree of terror. In an act of desperation, a scientist merges some of the Godzilla cells with a rosebud, mutating it into the one of the most unique monsters in the Toho universe - Biollante. The two do battle as our protagonists in the film try to track down the terrorists. As a result, what we have is not the usual Godzilla vs. movie with an alien-invasion plot. This one is unique and substantive in its monster origins, plot flow and character development.

While an exciting movie, there are some people that this film could have done without, like the horrible Saradian agent SSS9 and the campy Biomajor people. I have to give credit to this movie, anyhow, because it introduced the Godzilla-centered psychic Miki Saegusa (played by Megumi Odaka). She would take a very significant role in this and the following Godzilla films. Her using her psychic powers to locate Godzilla and stopping him from coming ashore in Osaka was intriguing.

Overall, not a bad Godzilla film. Very distinctive, albeit a little too focused on the human subplot and the military, and the Biollante angle wasn't emphasized enough.

Grade B-
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Although it's not one of the classics, "Godzilla vs. Biollante" works due to a refreshingly imaginative premise and a strong visual presentation
TheUnknown837-17 December 2009
Out of the twenty-eight entries in the long-running Japanese Godzilla series, one of the more artistic and welcomingly imaginative ones is the unfortunately overlooked "Godzilla vs. Biollante", a film that is so-so in its story and characters (although that is a standard for most Godzilla movies), but tremendously entertaining in its premise and its visual style. The movie follows the majestic monster movie masterpiece "The Return of Godzilla", in which Godzilla is released from his volcanic prison on Oshima Island and begins to wreck the countryside of Japan again around the same time that a scientist's (Koji Takahashi) experiment to preserve his dead daughter's spirit in an immortal plant species goes awry.

"The Return of Godzilla" was not only a great Godzilla movie, but one of the finest monster movies, Japanese or otherwise, that I have ever seen and I do like to sometimes pretend that "Godzilla vs. Biollante" and the not-so-special sequels that followed never existed, that it ended with Godzilla falling into Mount Mihara and being imprisoned there forever. But although this movie does kind of ruin that feeling, it's quickly forgiven once its slow beginning departs and its truly majestic middle begins.

As I mentioned earlier, this is one of the more artistic Godzilla movies there is. Most entries in the series are formulaic and repetitive. And although this is okay for the fans, it is refreshing to see one that tries something new and original. And "Godzilla vs. Biollante" most certainly is original. Basically everything except the human characters tries something new. The movie boasts a battle between Godzilla and his new monstrosity of an opponent, but it's not all about their clash, it's really more following the spirit of the preceding movie with military trying to eliminate Godzilla. What's more, the movie boasts some incredibly visionary and impressive special effects. Godzilla's appearance is one of his finest yet. There are a few shots where he didn't look very good, such as this one where the way he was positioned reminded me more of a bear than a reptile, but other times the mobility that he had in his jaws and his neck provided some surprisingly convincing movements. The miniatures for the destruction scenes are thoroughly impressive, and the effects used to create Biollante are a pure triumph without a single weak shot.

Even the music score is something new. The movie reuses three classic Godzilla themes by Akira Ifukube, but most of the score, as with the first film, is done by a new composer and he does it with a completely new style. Now Koichi Sugiyama's score is not incredible as Reijiro Koroku's was for the preceding movie. There are some weak moments and some parts are recycled too much throughout the movie. In addition, after having reviewed the whole soundtrack on CD form, I discovered that the best of Sugiyama's score was left out. Why Toho opted to do this, I have no idea. But as for what we do here, it's mincemeat of visionary triumph and minor letdowns.

I do have some complaints about the movie, however. It does take a while to get started. Whereas "The Return of Godzilla" had great characters and a strong story so that I could stay interested even when Godzilla was not on screen, this movie struggles a little more. And again, some parts of Koichi Sugiyama's dare-deviling soundtrack simply don't work as well as they should have. And the ending of the final battle between Godzilla and Biollante was a flat letdown.

However, despite its flaws, "Godzilla vs. Biollante" is a more unique and interesting and certainly enjoyable entry in this deservedly famous long-running motion picture series. Now I don't think Godzilla will ever be considered art by any major organization. But there are three films starring the big lizard that do stand out pretty strongly due to either their strong allegorical content or their tremendous style. This is one of them.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent movie, one of my favorite Godzilla movies
ciarandino30 November 2012
I am a big fan of this movie. The Godzilla fan base is fairly divided on this film, but personally, I love it. It has wonderful cinematography, acting, themes, music, special effects, characters and all around brilliant.

The characters are likable and well written, they are believable. The music, while you cannot compare it to the work of Akira Ifukube, is still excellent and goes very well with this film. It is very well shot, with many wonderful scenes with a great atmosphere. The special effects are done, as per usual in this series, with great skill and talent. Suitmation is very underrated and all too often the subject of disdain. This film shows just how excellent suitmation can be, as well as all the other practical effects, which come together to create a believable and stunning world.

The themes were well handled, not forced violently down your throat as they were in the 1992 version of Godzilla vs Mothra (which is still a good movie, but the environmental message gets to be rather preachy and forceful at times).

The buildup to Godzilla's arrival is excellent, and when he does show up, it is a spectacular sight seeing him rise out of a volcano (however, going back to the 92 Godzilla vs Mothra film, I think the very similar scene from that film does it much better). The film contains two excellent monster battles, in which Godzilla goes up against the very creative monster Biollante, a combination of rose, human and Godzilla DNA. It's an artful movie, and shows that Godzilla movies are not just cheesy crap like most people seem to think they are (I personally think most of the films are good).
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hard to Find Yet Astounding A+
gigan-9212 June 2010
This has got to be one of the hardest G-films to acquire. Neither Sony or Classic Media have released on DVD, among the few that haven't been that fortunate. However, a real fan would know those Heisei double-features Sony Tristar have are crappy editions at best. This DV-R copy of the actual Toho DVD is spectacular. It's in 5.1 audio, re-mastered and is in the original Japanese language. Not only that, but it comes packed with bonus material, though they aren't subtitled. The only way to purchase this, and other unreleased films (like the original uncut versions of "Godzilla 1985", "King Kong vs. Godzilla", and "Godzilla vs. Megalon") is to buy them online. Trust me though it's definitely worth it.

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" is a close contender for my second favorite Heisei G-film, even surpassing "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla" (1993). Numer one will always go to "Godzilla vs. Destroyah". How shall I begin? Well I'd like to amend Kazuki Omori for his directing and marvelous screenplay. He may not be the original author of the story, but he made it what it is. Entwined with the usual sudo science, there is also a great espionage aspect to it all. Some say the characters are stale, but this is only a fool's utterance. There doesn't need to be American-style over done acting here just to make it work, as some suggest all Godzilla films need. No, in fact it is this dark atmosphere that makes this G-film undoubtedly one of the best. The relationship of Shirigami ( Koji Takahashi) is the most beautiful and twisted character in the whole movie. I can not refer to him without bringing up his daughter/creation: Biollante. The human aspect to it that some may not get is that Shirigami obviously injected some of his deceased daughter's blood or simply a few cells into those roses. Inorder to 'perserve' her, essentially to preserve her soul. When that earthquake hit, he felt she was in danger of finally dieing all together, and so he rushed to save her via the G-cells. I've read so many ignorant reviews stating that this film's story is "convuluted". No, it just needs a little reading in-between the lines is all.

Of all the monsters I have ever seen in these films, Biollante has the most original origin. It's not a simple mishap with some chemicals or dimensions ( i.e. SpaceGodzilla...), but within that aggregation of Godzilla and a delicate rose is the soul of a man's long dead daughter. Killed by the heat of radical politicians and over ambitious scientist. The real antagonist portrayed in this film; when science runs amok and the government is only eager to exploit it even further, there is often hell to pay. Kazuki Omori has a talent for creating intricate stories, and it is in this film that talent is brought out to the fullest.

Indeed Biollante is an incredible monster, in both forms. Erica's soul is allowed to have a sad and mysterious theme to it, compounded by the creature's tragic echoing wail across the lake. A mixture of beauty that is fragile, and yet in the final form is transformed into behemoth ferocity that has incredible power. Shirigami wanted to make Erica's soul immortal, and believes that he somewhat failed. But in reality, his mission succeeded. Another delight is the composer Kôichi Sugiyama. And yet as good as his score is, he knows the true Godzilla master is Akira Ifukube. To this I'm sure any fan is grateful.

Godzilla looks bad-ass, a lot like the suit seen in 1964's "Mothra vs. Godzilla". It has the same dark eyes, that mammal-like muzzle and thin look to it. The dark tone is still prevalent from the last film, much to my liking. The SFX in the movie are top notch, and even has a horror element to it at times. The actors are excellent as well, and viewers won't fell disconnected with them. In fact, they're heavily involved far more than some other heisei films. Or thankfully not to ridiculous and annoying levels like in "Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla". Miki Sasegusa's first appearance, and I love her portrayal of a woman's who's estranged relationship with monsters, specifically Godzilla is only beginning.

As exciting as all that is, the highlight of this film is inarguably that finale battle between Godzilla and Biollante. Mazaaki Tezuka, director of "Tokyo S.O.S.", should've been paying close attention here. The fight is brutal and bloody, and we actually see Godzilla pierced through!! (!!!)!! Who knew a plant could put up such a fight? A small joke but a terrific fight that ranks among the best. Koichi Kawakita is definitely proving his worth here. The film ends on a somber note, as Shirigami finally is layed to rest, and Erica's soul is at peace.

"How long have we have been living in such an age? Maybe it started when man first stepped out of the Garden of the Eden, and left his innocence behind. Man would do well to remember this day, forever."
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outstanding!
jerekra26 October 2008
The Hesei Series began with Godzilla 1985. Godzilla vs Biolante is the second film of the new Hesei Series of Godzilla Films and is truly a Phenomenal Film.

Godzilla is still trapped inside of the volcano. A local scientist finds some of Godzilla's cells and starts to test with them. His daughter is killed when an explosion goes off in his lab. He then starts using his daughters cells, and mixes them with some Godzilla Cells and some rose cells. This starts to create a giant plant type monster with a rose bud for a head. Godzilla breaks free from the Volcano and starts to go on a rampage. Godzilla meets up with this giant plant monster, Biolante, and sets it on fire apparently killing it. Godzilla attacks japan and further attempts to destroy him are made.

The fact that this film follows up Godzilla 1985 and shows that he escapes from his volcano prison is awesome. I was always sad at the end of Godzilla 1985 so Godzilla escaping in this one set this film off on a good note for me.

Godzilla looks awesome. In fact for the rest of this series he looks pretty much the same and that is good. They did away with the fangs that he had in Godzilla 1985 and gave him a much more dinosaur looking head. Godzilla gets in a lot of action and proves how destructive he is. Nothing can stop him and nothing will slow him down. This is one of the best portrayals of Godzilla in any movie he is in and he gets in a lot more action than he did in Godzilla 1985. I am not saying that Godzilla 1985 is a bad film it is just that this film is much better.

Godzilla gets an opponent for the first time in the Hesei Series. Biolante is his foe, a truly unique monster. First it shows up as a giant Rose headed monster with Venus Fly trap tentacles. This form does not do anything for me, it looks like a giant rose and that is kind of odd. Godzilla destroys this form pretty easy. Biolante then turns into another form, a much more impressive looking form. In this form Biolante gets a giant crocodile type head and a huge body covered with sharp spines and is able to shoot a glowing acid ray. In this form Biolante towers over Godzilla and is the largest monster that Godzilla has fought in a film. In this form Biolante is a very dangerous foe and very physically imposing. One of the most memorable of all of Godzilla's enemies.

Also great in this film is the Super X 2, another vehicle designed to combat Godzilla. It is cool how it seems in each film a new vehicle is set up to fight Godzilla but none seem to work. Great scenes of Godzilla against the military in this film.

Also great in this film is how they brought back the original Godzilla march song. The films that have this soundtrack just seem to be better than the ones that do not.

So this is a phenomenal film, one of the best. Great special effects, a great foe for Godzilla, and awesome music. A must see.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gojira vs. Biorante (1989)
SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain13 December 2011
Another great entry into the rebooted franchise. It picks up where the last Godzilla films left of. However, it soon turns into an espionage thriller, Americans and, most dangerously of all, middle eastern folk, try and steal a Godzilla fragment to experiment with. It leads to the creation of a giant plant. Nothing too dangerous you might think, but as it mutates, the design is really quite breathtaking. This film once again takes it up a notch. It feels so genuine in its portrayal of the events, and even manages to convince the audience that this is all very real. As always, the score is truly dominant. It flows throughout the film bringing both dread and excitement. I loved how they gradually introduce the more "out there" ideas. This time, it's telekinesis with flowers. Like the classics, it is a story of man and nature, and how fooling around could lead to absolute destruction by giant monsters. There were also a number of humane touches and some maturity lacking from earlier attempts. When asked if he will go to America a young man says that he wont, as every country has bad things about it. For once, the foreign devils aren't to blame. Just humanity as a whole.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great Godzilla flick
apache870616 June 2006
I was lucky enough to find a VHS copy and I have to say that this is my favorite Godzilla film. The reason I liked it is because it was so different than any other Godzilla movies. Godzilla vs. Boillante is violent, very dark, looks really good, and actually has a solid plot. I almost didn't want to watch it cuz the darkness of this flick made me feel so uncomfortable by about 45 mins in. Both monsters are great, and Biollante's horrendousness gives this movie power that no other G movie can stand up against. The monster makes this movie so ugly and creates such a dark atmosphere that it is kind of beautiful. I'm not big fan of Japanese movies (I hate anime), but this is a true accomplishment.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Realistic, intriguing, and entertaining kaiju eiga *possible spoilers*
drngor16 March 2001
Godzilla vs. Biollante is an underrated Godzilla film. I know a lot of people have criticized the plot, the music, the direction, etc. However, I simply cannot agree with those people. I first saw this movie several years ago and was enthralled. I even watched it the very next night it was so cool. This movie is one of the best Godzilla movies ever made.

The plot takes place after Godzilla 1985. Godzilla is trapped in Mt. Mihara and a group of scientists/military men are preparing for his possible return. This involves producing a bacteria that is capable of consuming nuclear energy and making a giant mecha called Super X-2. One of the scientists decides to to combine Godzilla's cells with those of a rosebush and inadvertently creates Biollante. Soon, Godzilla is on the loose, battling both the military and Biollante. Meanwhile the humans are racing against time to recover the bacteria which was stolen and figure out a way to defeat Godzilla.

This movie does take some time to get started. However, I found myself a lot more interested in the plot this time around. The whole "dangers of genetic engineering" theme caught me and helped to keep my attention throughout the film. The use of that theme in this movie predates movies like Jurassic Park and all. The movie was very realistic in tone, something I liked. Although I do like the fantastic in these sorts of films, it kept in sync with the tone and realistic approach of it's predecessors (G '85 and Gojira).

The special FX were great, undoubtedly the best in the Heisei series, if not the entire series. Godzilla looks great, very animal and feral in nature. He's a bad guy, but a darn good one. The matte work is also great (there's one short mis-proportioned one, but I don't think a lot of people will notice). The military battles are among the best I've ever seen. Military stock footage along with well designed miniatures and effective camera angles help to maintain the illusion that an 80 meter beast is destroying the military. The pyrotechnics are astounding, especially in the battle between Godzilla and Super X-2 in Osaka and the final showdown with the military. Biollante is an inspired creation. What starts out as a "beautiful" mutated flower evolves into a vicious Godzilla-esque creature. My only complaint with the monsters is that the battles are not long lasting.

Now the music. A lot of people criticize the music in this movie, calling it inappropriate. I liked the military march theme quite a bit as well as the Super X-2 theme. However, the music that is played during the monster battles is ineffective at really increasing the suspense or giving the scene energy. Thankfully, there are various Ifukube themes played at various parts.

Overall, this is a great kaiju experience. Intriguing storyline, realistic tone, excellent special FX, and inspired monster designs make this essential monster viewing.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A shallow dull letdown
LaLlama11 February 2013
There are somethings you watch as a child that can bring in new insights and perceptions on viewing as an older teen or an adult, and then there are some things which just don't add up or present itself that well as before. Biollante is among the latter. I had such fond memories of it as a big monster-loving kid, and heard almost instant praise from others of my same ilk. The day soon came when FINALLY the kaiju gods answered my prayers and released this film in the US on blu-ray and DVD. I bought it on blu-ray, making it my first blu-ray purchase. I giggly skipped to my room to place this bad boy on my PS3, feeling ten years old again! Oh goody goody!!! Sat down, and began to let the fond memories come rolling back to my conscience. About ten minutes in... am I still ten years old inside?? Just as soon as the line "kiss you guys" echoes from the my sound projector, I knew this was NOT a trip down memory lane, rather a stinging sharp bite in the rear from realization and reality.

What happened? All that wonder and mysticism this film used to give me is gone. Gone are the days where monster fights and nice music are sadly not going to cut it anymore. Now lets break down the reasons this film is a big mess....

The plot - So basically, the film picks up exactly where Return of Godzilla left off. Some factions want to posses Godzilla's cells. One is an American company called Bio-Major, another is some fictional Middle Eastern country called Saradia. Shiragami is a scientist mourning for the loss of his daughter while they were in said country. While the military builds Super X. And there is a psychic girl too. Yes, it sounds like nonsense, cause it is! It seems Toho couldn't decide what kind of plot to go with in this film. An internal drama? A spy film? A military film? A MONSTER film? "I know!!!"; Toho exclaims "Why don't we just forcefully squeeze all four into one without any kind of intelligence or coherency!! Who needs character development!? Lots of explosions and flashy effects will be all the suspense we need!!"

The writing - This film just teases you by presenting in something that COULD be of interest and a nice break from the dull blandness that this sad picture is, but oops!! Not this time, its back to drivel again!! Characters that could potentially be interesting and serve the story better, are shoved aside in favor for the generic and boring military personals, who only just seem to be there to spout techno and political babble. I could forgive this film more if they had some actual DEVELOPMENT and were treated like actual characters!! Not just plot forwarding machines. Because of a lack of sensible directing, whatever happens in this movie, is simply just an event that happened. For no other purpose then to just keep the movie going. This film does not allow you the time to take in or appreciate the atmosphere surrounding the "characters". No feelings of accomplishment, no reason to give hope, just nothing at all to care for. No consistency whatsover. Just poorly done subplot after poorly done subplot.

The acting - Perhaps the only difference the audience would tell between these "actors" and cardboard boxes with simply drawn facial expressions, would that emotions would be conveyed better with the latter. I know this is a Godzilla film, but they expect us to believe that a reaction to Godzilla approaching would to to simply say " Godzilla is coming", check your watch and calmly walk away? Even Megalon was more believable!! Where these human beings they casted into this movie, and not malfunctioning robots? Not even planks could make a performance this wooden!

The special effects - Maybe finally I can say something complementary this decaying draggy bore fest. Of course, this being a Godzilla flick, I don't expect top notch Hollywood style effects, but for 80's Japanese tokusatsu fare, its pretty neat. This might be the only thing improved form the previous "Return of Godzilla" (I haven't seen it for a while, I might reconsider). Godzilla looks great, and so does Biollante, especially her final form, with her vines, numerous sharp teeth, and the ooze that foams from her jaw that gives quite the impression of a savage beast. Model cities seem to be well crafted and designed. At least SOMETHING was given an effort in this movie.

The score - Another positive for this movie. The film uses a nice blend of classic Ifukube and a new selection of melodies from the famed composer of the Dragon Quest game series Koichi Sugiyama. I just love the style he brings to this film, more majestic compared to early soundtracks in the series, also conveying horror, mysticism, herosim, and romance. Its too bad such music had to wasted on this soggy mess of cinema. Its like writing a beautiful song or poem about a dried up turd.

Overall, Godzilla vs Biollante was a film I REEEEAAALLLLLY wanted to like. Like it as much as I did as naive, stupid, no-nothing child. But I just can't let nostalgia cloud my judgment. It had the potential to be one of the finest entries in the series, but in spite of how good the art direction, the effects (for Godzilla anyway), and the soundtrack might have been. it just can't completely save this film from bad directing, a muggy script, bland "characters" (who are less characters, but more like situation-explaining exposition machines), and just overall, greed, rushness, and, a complete lack of passion. Someone at Toho NEEDS to get fired.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Following right after the classic Godzilla 1985 film, Godzilla returns with a vengeance in this great picture!
Movie Nuttball6 July 2005
I am a huge Godzilla fan, I grew up with Godzilla, I just love seeing this awesome monster just destroy cities and fighting other monsters. I like his enemies as well but Godzilla is the Icon!

This Godzilla film is a great one. The story is very good and I really love the way Godzilla looks in this film. I love it when he roars and moves his tail. As for his enemy Biollante she too is awesome. I love it when she roars. The fights between the two monsters is really good. The acting by the film's human stars are also good. The music is just excellent! I really love this Godzilla film for many reasons and its arguably the best! If you love Godzilla I strongly recommend that you do what I did and buy Godzilla vs. Biollante today!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blu-ray review.
DustinRahksi22 January 2013
What? a Godzilla movie on Blu-ray, well about time. Well of course destroy all monsters came out on Blu-ray, but was discontinued. I would love it if they re-released all the films on Blu-ray, that would be a dream come true.

Blu-ray disc: The picture quality is much better, but I can only compare it to my VHS tape. Whats one thing that Godzilla movies have a lot of, explosions. What does Blu-ray enhance, explosions. Well unfortunately the sound wasn't on par with most films, what I mean by that is, the explosions lacked base, and there for didn't rattle the walls. That was my only complaint. And for the first time I actually get to watch how one of these films is made, it includes a behind the scenes bonus feature. The MPAA rating in the opening states that there is the usual Godzilla violence, I thought that was funny.

The film: This film is a big leap forward for the series. The action scenes look great, and the special effects are outstanding. The final form of Biollante looks incredible. Some of the musical scores are great too. Take note this film is actually pretty violent, lots of blood spraying, and there is more swearing than usual, man there's even a sexual reference at the end. Not really PG material, but oh well.

Overall it's pretty entertaining, with the fight scenes being the highlights. Although Biollante served a small part, it's still worth watching.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best Godzilla movies.
Ed johnson20 December 2010
Godzilla vs Biollante now seems to be consider one of the best godzilla movies and I would say for good reason. In my own opinion this is one of the last godzilla movies to do something really creative and new. I like how this movie has a dark and serious atmosphere to it in contrast to the goofy and sillier godzilla mood of the later showa movies(not that those movies were bad). The special effects are impressive and I feel that they still hold up well today. One really strong point for this movie are the action scenes, all of the action scenes are very entertaining to watch such as godzillas battles with the super x 2 or his battles with biollante. The movie has a good set characters that are likable and the overall story is also good and getting back to what I said earlier it is a interesting new concept. Biollante while maybe not godzillas most powerful foe is still none the less a cool monster with a great design. If I had to chose a flaw with this movie, I will say that the pacing can slow at times, but other then that I believe this truly is one of the best godzilla movies of the godzilla series.
Decent Monster Movie
This is a good movie. It's no masterpiece, but it is a good film. The plot to this movie, although weird, is very original, especially compared to a few of the Godzilla that had come before and after this movie. Scientists find some of Godzilla's cells and combine them to that of a plant. Why you would want to do something like that is beyond me. Then these weird Venus fly trap like things start appearing and eating people, and then a giant rose/monster creature appearers in the middle of some lake, the creature then gets named Biolante. So sure enough Godzilla then comes out of the volcano that he fell into in the film GODZILLA 1985. Godzilla goes to lake and battles Biolante. He actually ends up wining, to no ones surprise, and moves on and destroys Osaka. But then on his way to the beach, Biolante comes back and takes on a new form. This time she, oh Right I forgot to mention that in this flick they say that Biolante is a female, so she takes on the form of a plant/crocodile/Venus fly trap thing. So there's the whole synopsis. The acting in this movie is good. The effects in this movie are great. Which is good because of the fact that a lot of times in a Godzilla movie the special effects seem rushed. But here, thankfully, you can see that a decent amount of effort got put into this movie. This is a decent addition to the series and I do recommend it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An overlooked addition to the series.
therocinante5 November 2006
I should note that this 10 star rating reflects my feelings within the Godzilla franchise, and isn't really meant to reflect against any other movies other than Godzilla's.

I dunno. I love Godzilla himself, but I'm one of those annoying purists who likes Godzilla best when a) it's just him versus a large city and/or b) he's set within a dark movie. Granted, that narrows my options quite a bit, but I still faithfully watch any film involving him.

This film, while its plot may feel made-for-TV, brought out the best in Godzilla since the 1954 film, I thought. He's mean, he's not lovable (which makes me love him more), and his enemy, despite being a mutant rose (heh heh), is ultimately meaner and darker than his other enemies of old. I especially like the lack of time travelers, aliens, and miniature people in this film; I said the plot felt made for television, but ultimately, I would prefer the side-stories to involve normal human beings struggling to control the awesome power of the monsters (as is the case here) rather than mutants or time traveling people or robots trying to save/conquer the planet with the help of Godzilla and company. Biolante is a creation of biological science, as is Godzilla (unintentionally, of course), plain and simple. No strange alien cyborg implants or bionics or what have you. The humans panic, the monsters destroy. It's beautiful.

After watching Godzilla: Final Wars recently, I yearned for a return the "Biolante" form. I know it sounds silly to talk about Godzilla's believability, seeing as how it is the campy cheesiness that made the franchise popular, but the first film, reaching way back to the gritty black and white days with its dark hospital scenes and broody score, was on some level believable to me. Yes, it's obvious the monster was a guy in a suit, yes you could still tell they were models, but the panic seemed more real, the aftermath more devastating, and the sympathy for the human characters greater. Godzilla versus Biolante is closest to that original form, as far as that believability goes. Despite a hovering tank, futuristic lightning cannons, and killer monster rose, this film feels more organic than most. In this one, it's "Godzilla's awake! Call the military and then RUN!", rather than the usual "Godzilla's awake, and aliens have made a giant cyborg, and this kid is bonding with a baby monster, and this guy invented a robot that can grow...if you find time, RUN!".

I mean no disrespect to the rest of the G films, and the fans of the many-monster mythology, I can understand why people love it, but this is the kind of Godzilla film I personally prefer.
Rosebud, rosebud...
A.Fish24 February 1999
Installment number two in the "second wave" of Godzilla flicks. In this one, Godzilla looks like he should; no slime green slick latex suit with a big butt and humongous baby eyes. Instead, he looks more sleek and dragon-like, and his face reminds me of ancient Japanese paintings of oni, or demons. G takes on what first is a giant rosebush which has been exposed to Godzilla cells, mutating it. The bush then evolves into a huge tentacled monster with long jaws, whose size dwarfs Gojiro. Pointless subplot about a professional killer hired by some made-up country to steal Godzilla cells. Be sure to look for the Supaa X flying craft which is sent out by the army to stop Godzilla with its powerful "fire mirror" made of "synthetic diamonds".
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most unique Godzilla movies ever.
Aaron137524 February 2010
This Godzilla movie was very unique and after viewing it I have now seen every Godzilla movie ever made! This one was a mixed bag as the DVD copy I got was in Japanese with no English subtitles so I had some trouble with the plot at times, but for the most part I understand what was going on. What I have heard about this movie was for the most part true as this one was rather violent for a Godzilla movie as there are quite a few killings of people in the early stages of the movie. The fights between Godzilla and Biorante were rather cool, but were also very short as I have often read from other reviews here at IMDb. However, it has a nice story from what I understood as people at the beginning of the film are trying to get Godzilla cells for some different types of purposes. However, all is not well in Japan as at this place doing psychic research some kids have had the same vision and they are drawing pictures of Godzilla. Yes, seems that volcano from the previous movie did not finish him off, which is cool as when I saw that film as a child even though watching Godzilla die in that film made me sad I told my mother that I bet he could survive a volcano. Somehow, with the possible return of Godzilla on the horizon the military begins scrambling and I think there is discussions of making some sort of anti Godzilla weapon, I thought they said a cyborg, but I may be mistaken. Well a scientist who lost his daughter I think in a terrorist type attack near the beginning of the film is given a Godzilla cell and he combines it with a rose cell and the monster Biorante is soon born. Seeing it at first I was thinking this thing does not stand a chance against Godzilla. Well Godzilla soon starts another rampage and the military launches the super X-2 an upgrade over that vehicle that fought Godzilla in the last movie. This time they wisely made it an unmanned vehicle. Well there are fights galore and a fight between Godzilla and what amounted to a large rose bush which I give points for it being very original. Later, Biorante would come back and be one of the coolest looking Godzilla enemies ever. It also was very underdeveloped as I think they could have made the fights longer as Biorante and Godzilla just seemed to be getting warmed up and the fight was over. I just so could see Biorante as a very good villain as it is tearing up everything with its vines and overrunning Tokyo and all of Japan and the only thing that can stop it is the power of Godzilla type affair and I would even have it scoop people up with its vines and essentially eat them. I just found Biorante rather creepy even in rose bush form and I think they could have done some dark things with it. In the end it was nice to finally see this one, as I finally saw the guy who was killed that the guy in Space Godzilla wanted to avenge.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best of Godzilla
DarthBill13 April 2004
Picking up where "Godzilla 1984/85" left off, Godzilla's skin samples are a hot commodity that everyone is after in the name of science. One scientist, who tried to make a super plant source with his daughter as a way to solve world hunger or something, loses his daughter when terrorists attack his lab and later gets a chance to get her back by mixing those Godzilla cells with plants. This leads to a giant plant monster named Biollante that has the daughter of his dead spirit possessing it. Terrorists also after the cells eventually blow up the volcano Godzilla was trapped in and all hell breaks loose when Godzilla comes to town, battles Biollante in two different forms, and is almost killed by a lethal poison.

Plots and characters are about the same as usual (that includes the dubbing) but production value wise, this was a high quality film. Godzilla has never looked more real and life like in any of his other films than he does here. Biollante also proves to be a very nasty monster, initially a giant rose and later a giant crocodile with tentacles. Lots of violence and cool special effects follow suite, along with good music to boot. And of course, the age old moral that mankind shouldn't be screwing around with the order of things when Mother Nature set certain things up a certain way for a reason.

"Godzilla and Biollante aren't monsters. It's the unscrupulous scientists who create them that are monsters".
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Rather Boring Talk-a-thon
Michael_Elliott20 September 2017
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

** (out of 4)

After the huge success of THE RETURN OF GODZILLA, Toho waited a while before another film in the series hit the big screen. In this movie, Godzilla rises from out of the volcano and sure enough he heads towards Japan. The people there brace themselves for more destruction but then Biollante makes his stand.

I'm not really sure what Toho was thinking but this movie clocks in at 104-minutes and I'm going to take a guess that Godzilla might appear in thirty-minutes of that. This film didn't do very well at the box office and the company blamed the fact that Godzilla was fighting someone new. I really don't think that was the reason this turkey failed at the box office. To me this here is one of the most boring films in the series as there's nothing but non-stop talk, talk, talk.

I'm all for some great dialogue and a terrific story but we get neither of those here. We get endless scenes of people talking and the only thing we're wanting is to see Godzilla break stuff. He finally appears at around the forty-minute mark with awful looking fire sparklers going off behind him. The actual battle scenes between him and Biollante were actually good and especially the various green goo that comes out of Biollante. The special effects are actually above average for a Godzilla film and the destruction of the city was good. The ending was a letdown but it's too bad this thing ended up so boring.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In My Opinion, a disappointing entry, but it's not the worst
patrickkeastead7 April 2015
It's hard to find a sequel that could possibly top the masterpiece that was Godzilla 85. I was so excited to see this movie, I had never found a copy of f it, and when I did in Bluray, you could see my excitement. It's not bad, it has the same basis as any other Godzilla film, a villain minster that gets most of the attention, a few minutes of Godzilla and great monster fights that are interrupted by humans. It's the same, but yet it works most of the time because is different. Believe me this one is very different, but for some reason, the whole movie could've worked better if Godzilla wasn't in it. Biolante is that interesting of a minster she didn't need Godzilla to be a good monster. The final fight is of course the highlight of the film, but it's the only time we truly get to see Biolante. The first time she is just a rose. Some would argue that Destroyah has the same thing, revealing his true film in the last film, but unlike Biolante, Destroyah was monster that constantly evolved, and he got cooler every time. The first time we see Biolante, she's a giant rose.

All in all, it's been regarded as the best godzilla film, I enjoy the final fight, it's not the worst Godzilla movie, but in my opinion it's defiantly not one of the best
Godzilla hails!!!
Danny Toth (Ozzdan85)24 November 2004
Being Toho's most mature kaiju film, "Godzilla vs. Biollante" placed Godzilla in the age of bio-terrorism. Your cliché 80's folks are seen here...the shy teen girl, the military hero, the villain with sunglasses and leather gloves, etc. What many fans don't like about this movie is the adult-oriented nature of it, considering that Godzilla films were seen as kiddie fun at this point. Personally, I would say this is the best of the series since "King Kong vs. Godzilla" (1962). The Godzilla design remains the best and most realistic to date, and the final form of Biollante is such an awesome sight, one of the most impressive screen monsters in film. Overall, "Godzilla vs. Biollante" stands out from the rest of the series, and has a poetic touch to it...something I've never seen in a monster movie. This film is much appreciated by me.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You have to worry when Godzilla has to fight a plant!!!
LP Alienman21 June 2014
As we all know, Godzilla movies are based on nuclear fission because he was created by it. And through all his movies, he is always trying to get across that all nuclear reactors are too dangerous for man to handle. But the Biollante story crosses into some type of karmic belief, in this case were the scientist's daughter dies and comes back as a flower. For me this is far removed for any Godzilla story as it could possibly get. Originally it was released in Japan and came to US in 1992. The soundtrack in this movie sounded cheesy and combined with a story line that is almost nonexistent makes for the most unusual Godzilla story. In 2012, it came out on blue-ray that seems to be readily found. I don't recommend it, but as a Godzilla fan, I had to take a chance and see it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superior Big G outing
Woodyanders26 February 2013
Dr. Shiragami (an excellent performance by Kunihiko Mitamura) creates a form of indestructible plant life out of both his deceased daughter and Godzilla's cells called Biollante. When Godzilla gets reawakened and shows up to destroy Japan, it's up to Biollante to stop the lethal behemoth. Writer/director Kazuki Ohmori relates the engrossing story at a snappy pace, maintains a serious tone throughout, stages the monster fight set pieces with thrilling verve, and delivers the expected large scale mondo destructo carnage along with a smart and thoughtful environmental message about the dangers of man messing around with the natural order of things. The special effects are quite funky, lavish, and imaginative, with Godzilla looking more believable than usual and Biollante rating as one beautifully grotesque creation. Moreover, it's well acted by a sturdy cast, with especially commendable work from Masanobu Takashima as the shrewd Major Sho Kuroki, Megumi Odaka as sensitive psychic Miki Saegusa, and Turu Minegishi as the hard-nosed Lt. Goro Gondo. Takehiro Kato's polished cinematography delivers several striking poetic visuals. Koichi Sugiyama's dynamic and dramatic orchestral score not only hits the rousing spot, but also boasts a hauntingly melancholy main theme. One of the best and most satisfying entries in this popular long-running series.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this