The Simpsons (TV Series 1989– ) Poster

(1989– )

I'm glad I'm not the only one...
amarkovic-6548713 April 2020
I was hesitant to give this the rating I did, but from reading other audience reviews, my review actually will come across as far more... lenient. What can I say that hasn't been said already, the golden age of The Simpsons (seasons 3-8) is flawless television. Going through it again, it was awe inspiring to me how they manage to structure joke upon joke upon joke upon joke, something that must've been a complete breath of fresh air considering the boring, lifeless, milk-toast excuses for comedy shows that were coming around at that time. Yeah, those ones using canned laughter which relied completely on actors and people being loud as an excuse to be funny with a roaring laughter every 5 seconds spoon feeding the audience of when to laugh, with an exception of Seinfeld these were just boring shows for boring people, The Simpsons was intelligent, heart felt, structured and most of all... FUNNY.

However, all good things must come to an end. In an ideal scenario, The Simpsons ended on season 10 and season 9 didn't include the infamous 'The Principal and The Pauper', it lives its legacy as one of the greatest TV shows of all time and is passed down from generation to generation. Sure, the season 9 and 10 weren't golden age material, they were still solid entries in The Simpsons canon but then from season 11, things started to drastically change, we were getting episodes which would've been some of the weaker episodes in a golden age era season that were the best episodes of the season they were actually in. Sure, season 13 was pretty good but the show was tanking in quality almost directly after, pretty much season 14 onwards was terrible (not to mention the really bland movie). Now we're on the 31st season, the show is just completely unwatchable, the best episodes are mediocre and boring and the worst episodes are... 'Lisa Goes Gaga' (if you know what I mean). The show, at this point, is almost completely unrecognisable, a mere slight resemblance of what it once was (even the animation sucks nowadays), that's why it's so damn difficult to rate this show, at the same time it's one of my favourite and least favourite shows, the show should've ended 20 years ago, you can't keep lightning in a bottle for that long, it's not a show that is relevant to today's cultural landscape, it would be so much more respected if it had ended on its 10th season. That's why I can't in good conscience rate this show the 9 or 10/10 that I want to... but the only reason I'm giving it a 7 over a 5 is because even though there is more bad than good of The Simpsons (more signals for it to just end), the golden age is some of the best television to have ever been constructed and cannot be ignored.

Here's how I'd rate the seasons: Season 1 - 8/10 Season 2 - 8/10 Season 3 - 9/10 Season 4 - 9/10 Season 5 - 10/10 Season 6 - 10/10 (best season) Season 7 - 9/10 Season 8 - 8/10 Season 9 - 8/10 Season 10 - 7/10 Season 11 - 6/10 Season 12 - 6/10 Season 13 - 7/10 Season 14 - 5/10 Season 15 - 4/10 Season 16 - 5/10 Season 17 - 4/10 Season 18 - 4/10 Season 19 - 4/10 Season 20 - 6/10 Season 21 onward - 2/10
77 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Show Will Be Used to Study How Life Was 100 Years From Now
tfrizzell21 July 2001
Brilliant television series that could probably be best described as "The Flintstones" gone stark-raving mad. "The Simpsons", everyone knows them. Some love the series and some could care less about it. Love it or hate it, it is near impossible to criticize the intelligence and creativity of this series. The titled animated family makes their home in Springfield, USA and gets into situations that are seemingly more outlandish and crazier than the previous adventure. Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie are still going strong after nearly a dozen years of television life and with each passing moment it seems that the series sets some new precedent. For several years the show seemed to be the only attraction to the then obscure Fox Network. It was the first primetime animated show that was treated like a sitcom since "The Flintstones" quietly left the air in 1966. Many people feared the series when it first premiered in 1989 because they felt that it was hardcore adult material in a candied form that would appeal to younger audiences. Well for the most part this was true. However, "The Simpsons" would prove to be much more for all audiences. The great thing about the series is that it caters to all audiences. True there are usually situations that may not be suitable for all viewers, but then again that is true with everything on television this side of Disney Land and Sesame Street. "The Simpsons" works because of great comedy of course, but also great lessons that can be taken from most of the episodes. The people within the program may be animated, but they are just as complicated and vulnerable as the people watching them. All the regulars have their quirks, but in some episodes you can understand what certain characters are going through because the show is so life-like at times. Former President George Bush (the one from 1988-1992) once made a statement that families should be more like "The Waltons" and less like "The Simpsons". His opinion is somewhat old-fashioned and unrealistic. In other words, many topics dealt with in "The Simpsons" fit life for people in the 1990s and 2000s better than "The Waltons" did in the 1970s. A crowning achievement in television art. 5 stars out of 5.
380 out of 460 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest television show of all time
mercer745 June 1999
What more can I possibly say about a TV show that has already been praised to death? I was 15 when the Simpsons first aired and I'm 25 now. I've seen every single episode, and I'd have to say it's a rare combination of factors that come together to make The Simpsons the best show ever.

It's a very clever and intelligent show - they never dumb anything down - and as creator Matt Groening has remarked, "The Simpsons is a show that rewards paying attention." There are always enough obscure pop-culture references or subtle background gags to ensure that the second, third, or tenth viewing of an episode will find you noticing something you hadn't before.

In the early days of The Simpsons, they derived a large part of their popularity from the everyday, down-to-earth, unglamorous, average-blue-collar-slob aspect of the Simpson family. Homer is lazy and doesn't like his job, Bart doesn't excel at school, the plastic ketchup bottle they use at the dinner table makes that farting sound, and so on. This aspect of the program contrasts it with popular 80's family sitcoms such as The Cosby Show which always featured impossibly well-functioning families who got along a little too perfectly and usually learned a neat little lesson at the end of each episode. An early tag-line for The Simpsons said that they "put the Fun back in Dysfunctional."

Perhaps this blue-collar-slobness by itself is nothing shockingly original - think of previous TV shows such as Roseanne, Married with Children, All in the Family, The Honeymooners - but the Simpsons doesn't stop there. This show is extremely densely packed with jokes - everything from cerebral witticisms and sly satire to Homer falling down and going "D'oh!" Because it's a cartoon, the writers can get away with surreal gags such as the time Homer tells a joke which falls flat, after which a long silence happens which is punctuated by a single tumbleweed rolling through the Simpson's living room.

There are just too many things to mention about The Simpsons. It can be touching occasionally; more often the viewers are treated to an unequalled cavalcade of obscure references, surreal sight gags, wacky adventures, self-mocking irony... The list goes on and on. Just watch it, else you're missing out on one of the most important elements of 1990's popular culture.
478 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It started off fantastic...
Arlando9091 June 2006
No one, not even Matt Groening himself, could've imagined that The Simpsons would become as big as it did. Nor could anyone anticipate it could become so cultural. "D'oh" is in the dictionary, and it has spawned off several catch-phrases and one liners. Truly, The Simpsons is the biggest thing since Seinfeld! The first three seasons showed them as if they were an actual family. Like the kind of family you'd meet on the street (only a lot more dysfunctional). Homer trying to do the fatherly thing in each episode. Marge being the voice of reason all the time. Lisa and Bart with their sibling rivalry. These first three seasons are not usually sighted as being the best, but they are often brought up when one speaks of "The Best Episode Ever!" By Season four, the show took a turn for what may have been the best. It left it's more realistic roots and became more of a satire. With more zany antics and more clever, witty, and often times sophisticated humor, The Simpsons became the most popular family on television. Each episode still contained it's own merits, themes and messages. Seasons 4 to about 10 are often said to be the "Golden Age" of The Simpsons.

However, as the year 2000 came, fans began to see themselves divided. Those who stuck with the show since it came about in 1989 were quick to jump on how the show changed. The humor became more lurid and toilet like, with antics becoming heavily more unrealistic and zany (to the point where some even say it isn't funny... but stupid). Some characters becoming unrealistically stupid, and the show shifting gears from focusing on Bart to Homer... to everyone outside of the Simpson family. The show also began to see more cumbersome and meaningless plots. Plots that didn't focus on current issues, or that didn't seem to be as strong as older episodes. Despite this, new fans seem to have come about to replace then, and the show continues to remain at the top of its game, even today.

I'm sure you all know where I stand on that debate. Nine stars to nine fantastic seasons.
374 out of 470 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably the best television show on Earth
Smells_Like_Cheese12 November 2003
The Simpsons is the longest running animated TV series since The Flinstones, and you could understand why after watching just one of the Simpsons episodes. Simply because The Simpsons is just so hilarious and incredibly clever and has been ripped off so many times, but nothing has come close to the brilliance that the Simpsons writers have brought us.

We have Homer Simpson, one of the most beloved TV characters of all time, with his famous quote "Doh!". He's an overweight, lazy, and not the brightest bulb, but so incredibly lovable for the fact of how bipolar he is! One minute he can be so incredibly depressed, but the next minute really happy and giggling. My favorite Homer quote is when he kills the zombie Ned Flanders in a Halloween episode, Bart tells him "Dad! You killed the zombie Flanders!"... "He was a zombie?" Marge is Homer's wife and a homemaker. She is at times naggy, but always manages to get in some terrific humor and some deep sympathy with all she puts up with. My favorite Marge quote is "Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice." Bart is the oldest son and a rebel. His usual quotes are "Don't have a cow" "Cool, man!" "Ei Carumba!". He's this generation's Dennis the Menace. My favorite Bart quote is "I need a soul, Ralph, any, your's!", you'll see what I mean.

Lisa is the second oldest and the smartie pants of the Simpson clan, she's kind of the know it all who solves all the adventures of the Simpsons. My favorite Lisa quote is "They're only using you for your pool you know... shut up brain! I have friends now, I don't need you any more!". Last, but not least, Maggie, the eternal baby of Homer and Marge, always a great love of the screen, but no famous quotes, just memorable moments like when she turns into an alien.

The supporting cast is a terrific addition, my favorites include Mr. Burns, Homer's boss, Groundskeeper Willy, the school janitor, and Mr. Skinner, the school principal. The Simpson is just a terrific show that in one way or another you will see at least one episode in your lifetime. I know that generations to come, they will still be watching The Simpsons.
280 out of 353 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure genius
bat-517 January 1999
The Simpsons is a show that has sustained ten years of constant humor. The stories have gradually become better and the second fiddle characters were getting more screen time which translates into a much more realized show. The pop culture references abound and delight those who can pick them out. My personal favorite is the Citizen Kane references in the episode called "Rosebud." Plus, anything with C. Montgomery Burns is hysterical. The guest stars aren't there as a "special appearance" touted by the networks. They actually work into the storyline, and that makes it all the more enjoyable. Where else can you see The Moody Blues acting like thugs in a Vegas casino?
134 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once a classic now a flop
petragreen29 October 2017
First 10 seasons classic, funny and enjoyable fun show to watch. Half way through season 11 it starts to go meh but then after that the more seasons made through out the years the worse and worse it gets. How is this show still on going today is mind blowing. The humour isn't funny at all anymore. The couch gags drag on for what feels like 3-5 minutes. Ideas for each episode are running dry. There is even a Halloween episode that relies on fart jokes. Hope it ends at season 30.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How I lost respect
moresichate8 March 2019
Removing MJ episode , But not Clinton ? Removing Apu? I mean, has The world gone crazy? Everyone is offensiv today .. and censoring humor . Yeah way to go.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once Great, Now Ridiculous
donjeffries28 May 2005
For the first 8 seasons or so that it was on the air, "The Simpsons" was one of the greatest television shows of all time. Wonderfully developed characters, biting satire and top-notch writing made this cartoon a joy to watch. However, the show began to slide in season nine, and while it remained watchable through season ten or so, it has now become a shell of its former self. From about season 13 on, this formerly awesome show became the kind of "entertainment" it once parodied so well.

Several factors have contributed to the sorry drop in quality of the show. First, Homer's character has changed. He used to be a bumbling idiot, but had some good qualities. He has now morphed into a super-annoying, always in-your-face kind of moron. There is nothing likable about the new Homer. As for the other characters, Marge has become as morally bankrupt as Homer and is not likable either. Lisa, always a weak character, is now a little spokesperson for the Democratic Party. She spews out more propaganda than the "Weekend Update" no-talents on SNL. An eight-year old Buddhist? Come on! Bart has become less of a creative troublemaker, and is now more of a wimpy sidekick to Homer. The killing of Maude Flanders was inexcusable, and characters like Milhouse and Moe have become sometimes frighteningly weird (references to Milhouse-a ten year old boy-being gay and/or a cross dresser, for instance). Apu having all those kids was absurd. The shows now revolve around "wild and crazy" plots, with Homer constantly in the forefront. There is the constant, unnecessary use of blood and gore (Homer seems to always be cutting off something, and we are supposed to think it's funny). Also, the gratuitous use of guest stars is sickening. They are never funny, and serve only to promote and glorify themselves. "The Simpsons" used to poke fun at these pretentious celebrities. If this show stays on the air just a few more years, there will be more bad shows in syndication than good ones.

The DVD season-by-season sets are great, and really serve to remind us of how far this once incredible show has fallen. I'd advise everyone to buy these boxed sets and remember the great writing, inventive plots and brilliant characterizations that flourished during the first 8 seasons of the greatest cartoon series in history.
82 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the absolute Best Cartoon ever!
splintercell891 July 2005
Out of every cartoon, Movie, play, and T.v show I've ever seen The Simpsons tops it all. the Simpsons is the funniest show Bar None. American Dad, Futurama, and Family guy come in close but in my opinion the Simpsons is better than all of them combined. I have seen every single episode and i own seasons one through five and have Simpsons posters and action figures.i have not found an episode that i did not like., some of my favorites are the valentines episode where Bart puts Homers Beer in the paint shakers, and "Das Bus" season 9 "O' Brother were art Thou?" season 2. and any episode from the sixteenth season. they have made it to over three hundred episodes and I'm betting on three hundred more. THE SIMPSONS WILL NEVER DIE!
173 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Difficult to Rate
alyssaabernaughty13 July 2017
I surprisingly had a very difficult time rating this show, but I did and a 5 out of 10 is in my opinion a fair rating when you consider the series as a whole.

The reason it is so hard for me to rate this show is the simple fact that it has been on so very, very long. 621 episodes and growing, according to the numbers here on IMDb. And when a season lasts that long, it obviously will have stretches of good quality and stretches of bad quality. The Simpsons is no different.

Although the series does still make me chuckle here and there, the quality has completely fallen off in the show's later years. It suffered a sudden and terrible decline and I still feel very disappointed watching it, remember and "missing" the fantastic episodes of old.

Because that's the other extreme. When The Simpsons first went on the air, and for at least 8 seasons (to me, at least), it was one of the very best comedy shows ever produced. The characters were great, the writing was slick, it seemed like every single joke hit its mark and I laughed out loud all the time. It was one of the few "can't miss" shows I remember in my life, where Sundays at 8pm I just had to be home to watch it. Everyone talked about it, and regardless of how many seasons you think it lasted everyone considers those early years the "golden age" of the Simpsons.

I'm not sure if the problem is people leaving, or naturally running out of ideas after being on the air so long, or simple laziness, or the writers and staff getting old, but clearly at a point this show just went from the creative tops to something almost awful.

I'm basically averaging it out (6 years of awesomeness, 6 years of being OK, and since then being just bloody awful) to give this show a 5 out of 10.

I know I'll be bashed by haters who find my rating too high, and Simpson-heads who can't believe anyone would go lower than 10, but this is the grade I think is fair for this show.
49 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
jp8819 January 2005
The Simpsons is one of the best TV shows of all times. It is a perfect mirror of the American culture and has many memorable moments that will always be remembered . I don't know anybody who doesn't like this show, it's impossible not to be a fan of it. You could watch each episode 20 times and never get tired, you will always find a new funny thing every time you watch it

Unfotunatley the show is getting worse and worse with every new season, Maybe it's time to let "The Simpsons" die with dignity before the audience starts to hate it.

My rating: 11/10
213 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two Ends Of The Scale In One Show
giggitygiggitygoo45126 February 2013
I think I know exactly what the majority of the people reading this interview are saying- "5/10?? What the hell is going on here?! Has this guy lost his mind???!!" I admit, it was quite a difficult rating to give, and not one that I imagine will go down particularly well. But the unfortunate fact about this review is that I can't just look at the show's "Golden Age" when it was widely considered to be one of the funniest television shows ever created, cartoon or otherwise. Nor can I talk about the almost inconceivable plummet in the show's standards over the past five or so years, though God knows I could talk about that for hours. I have to look at the whole series, from the very beginning to where we are now, and take the whole of The Simpsons into account, from the ingenious hilarity of the past to the staggeringly awful quality we have today.

First off, I should make it abundantly clear that to me, The Simpsons, from season one right up until season ten, was one of the funniest television shows ever to air, past, present and I strongly believe future. Creator Matt Groening, together with Sam Simon and James L. Brooks, should be very proud of the work they achieved with them. These seasons are simply incredibly, painfully, blood vessel-burstingly hilarious. Blessed with an incredibly talented and naturally comedic cast, nearly all of whom have stayed committed to the show since its beginning, it has been host to a huge amount of characters who are all brilliantly funny in their own unique, very original way. The jokes range from silly slapstick, all the way through to sharply satirical, and everything in between, and they are nothing short of fantastic. The sheer amount of hilarious quotes and one-liners The Simpsons has in these seasons is nearly unfathomable, and it's not mystery as to why people all over the world can quote them so easily. Truly, they have set the bar for not only television comedy, but comedy on a whole.

As well as this though, it never lost sight of the three-dimension of its characters. What makes it great is that we feel for all of them, and watching it, it never feels as though we're watching a cartoon comedy, because it engrosses us in the stories of the people in it, and because there really is so much depth to the characters and the stories that concern them as well as excellent comedy that they almost feel like real people. This of course is especially in the case of the Simpson family themselves, all of whom are excellent characters in these seasons, who have real emotional reactions and feelings, which makes their short-comings all the more relatable. The ability of the cast to convey these emotions as well as the comedy is remarkable, and has led to some truly touching and poignant moments over the seasons.

Once we move past the end of the tenth season, there is a definite drop in the quality of the show, though not a drastic one. The jokes are a little less funny, the characters somewhat wasted, and the stories aren't quite as intelligent and enjoyable as they used to be, however it is still excellent television and extremely funny. The cast are still as inspired as they always were, and despite the tragic loss of Phil Hartman by this time, which saw the loss of two excellent characters Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz among others, they are still displaying immense talent and understanding of an astronomical amount of characters.

Now, we come to the problem. The reason for the 5/10 rating. A truly heart-breaking moment in television history, because once we reach the fifteenth season, we see the standard of The Simpsons has dived. And it has dived pretty deeply. From this point of the show to where it is today, it's as if we are seeing a different show. The stories are moronic, the jokes are cringingly awful, exchanging intelligence and wit for silliness and humourless exclamations, and the characters are mutilated. The fact the animation has improved only emphasises the change, and all the guest-stars and guest writers in the world can't salvage this shipwreck.

The awful jokes and lack of good stories are bad enough, but the worst problem with The Simpsons today, is that the characters have been ruined. All of them were once three-dimensional, interesting and real, but they are all now nothing but background pictures, opportunities for jokes. And bad ones at that. My answer to the question that everyone asks about The Simpsons is my favourite character (other than Homer) is Sideshow Bob, but even one as hilarious as him can't seem to manage one good joke. The worst offence is of course ruining the Simpsons themselves. It started early on with Marge, who was given terrible jokes and pointless stories, and now has even spread to Maggie, who is also stuck with uninteresting, unfunny stories.

I don't fully understand how people can stop being funny. It doesn't sound like something that can just happen, but that is exactly what has happened to the writers of The Simpsons. The show that was once ground-breaking and ingenious is now pathetic, a tired old dog limping to the grave that it should have reached years ago. I may sound bitter, and in truth I am, because this was a truly spectacular, one-of-a-kind show, and now it will not be allowed to be put to rest. I love the Simpsons. I love the characters, I love the cast's performances and I love the stories. But that was quite a long time ago, when it deserved it. When it does eventually end, I will of course be extremely sad, but I will be more relieved that finally this great television programme can call it a day at last.
63 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How the mighty have fallen
fjk1138-731-1618819 December 2020
The Simpsons was my de facto go-to comedy from 1992 until the movie came out. Based on other reviews here, it appears that I hung in a lot longer than most. But I gave up eventually.

From 1992 until 2007 I used to record, save, and constantly re-watch the Simpsons on VHS. Once the DVDs started coming out, I would buy every single box set and watch those to death as well. I used to drive my friends nuts with quoting lines or referring to episodes. I looked forward to every episode, what new disaster Homer could get into, and what goofy plot they would come up next. I loved every diverse and wacky character and how they all interacted with each other, good or bad. The writing was top notch, the parody of real-life things was great, and voice acting was flat-out superb. From the time I started watching until the early 2000's, it was heavenly. From 2002 - 2006, it started showing some signs of weakening, but still managed to make me laugh.

Then the movie came out in 2007.

It had a few moments (Marge's choice words about the bomb got my one "out loud" laugh), but it felt lackluster and pandered to a generic audience instead of staying really true to the diehards that were with the show since the beginning. The movie also marked the start of the show eventually going to CG versus traditional animation.

And here is where things start changing. Eventually, the writing went from meh (and later super-meh) to flat out lazy and about as funny as a terminal disease. Since CG animation no-doubt faster to produce than hand-drawn, the Simpsons went from feeling hand-made to mass-produced. This effect eventually seemed to spill over into all aspects of the show. Despite this, I was willing stick it out so long as it made me laugh, but it stopped doing that and I just couldn't bear to watch any longer. For me, it was really like a dear friend or relative was dying before my very eyes, albeit slowly and painfully.

But what really buried it for me was when that loser and complete no-talent "comedian" Hari Kondabolu cried and whined that Apu was somehow an insult to the entire Indian race (a farcical cartoon character, really?) which eventually stopped Hank Azaria from voicing it. Congrats Hari, you ruined one of my favorite characters on the show. What is it that you are known for again? Oh right, we're still waiting for all the brilliant comedy that you have yet to produce. It appears that Hank will no longer be voicing Carl either, who is now replaced by a "correctly-raced" actor. Because, you know, the earth was going to explode or something if that wasn't done. I supposed it's just a matter of time until Dr. Nick Riviera will be saying "Bye Everybody!" as well.

But it's OK, I've reached the level of acceptance and abandoned the show several years ago. I honestly don't know anyone who still watches this show either, but for those that still do I would ask that you please stop. Let the viewership die so that the show can die right along with it. It really needs to be put out its misery at this point. Every once in a while, I catch a glimpse of recent episodes when switching channels and most of the voice actors sound tired. I'm sure this is easy money for them by now, but really, I would think they are all talented enough to do other voice work in many other places. Or not - maybe they all need to retire. Poor Julie Kavner's voice sounds like it's practically gone now.

There was a time when I used to hope the state that Springfield is in would be revealed in the final episode, but now? I couldn't care less. What once was a show that screwed with the established order eventually got swallowed up by it and drowned in a sea of political correctness. I sold off my Simpsons box sets years ago and moved on to other things. The classic version of the show still exists for me now, but only in my memories. It's a world where Apu does not want anyone offering Ganesha a peanut, but he does ask us to "Come again!".
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blind loyalty and network greed has ruined what used to be an animated masterpiece
liquidcelluloid-125 January 2004
Network: Fox; Genre: Animated Comedy, Parody, Satire; Content Rating: TV-PG (language, adult contend and animated nudity); Available: DVD and syndication everywhere; Perspective: Classic (star range: 1 - 5);

Seasons Reviewed: Season 12+

If someone had told me 10 years ago that I would one day be bored by 'The Simpsons', I would have called them crazy. But here we are and while 'The Simpsons' has become the longest running show on TV at the cost of its core integrity. "Simpsons" in its prime was the best things to grace the small screen. A funny, ground-breaking animated comedy with lightening-quick wit, insightful social and brilliantly integrated parody. It created its own universe with an entire town of original characters. Most importantly, it actually helped shape the sense of humor of an entire generation. That generation which has now grown up and is now creating animated shows in direct competition.

"Simpsons" is a pale shadow of its former greatness. It gradually slipping this way for several years, but it wasn't until the 2002 and 2003 seasons that the show really smashed up against the rocks for good. I used to delight in each new episode of "Simpsons". But now the show clunks along each week in what appears to be filling time. The free-wheeling gags it used to deliver with such ease are now weighted down by an unnecessary over importance on story. The show at its best may get off a funny, sharp one-liner every now and then. It's biggest asset currently is it's willingness and given latitude to slam its own network. I do delight in their "Joe Millionaire" on-air promo parodies or a recent episode where Homer calls to give the network an idea and the recording says something like "If you know of another network's reality show we can rip off, press 2..."

So what happened? There really is no one thing that can easily be pointed out to all the late-commers and say "this is what happened" - you have to have traced the history. The 'jump the shark' moment could have come as early as the infamous Frank Grimes episode where our vision of The Simpson family was suddenly turned into something to aspire to instead of parody. It could be the legion of big name celebrities forced into every episode. To bring down a show as great as this, it was a slow convergence of several things.

Watching it, 3 differences are evident on-screen at any given time: First, the stripping down most of the characters to 1-note cartoons. Notably, British favorite Homer Simpson going from child-like, hard-luck father to a rag-doll for wild animals to rip apart as each episode closes. I'm particularly appalled at its attempts to use Homer as a political mouthpiece. Did you know that a guy who once lit a Q-tip so he could see inside his brain has an active concern for global politics? Yeah, I didn't either.

Secondly, the classic Baby Boomer voice of the series has evaporated and was replaced with contemporary generation X and Y jokes. Now, it's the internet and Tony Hawke. The voice of the series used to be one of creator Matt Groening's, seen through the eyes of Homer and Marge. That voice has been lost as the show has turned into an assembly line institution, repackaged and been homogenized for the masses and a new generation of writers lead by Ian Maxton-Graham has come in to "keep it fresh".

Thirdly, it has run out of creative juice. Anyone who has stuck with the show long enough can see it literally re-telling jokes and recycle previous story lines. When the recycling becomes too obvious or the episode makes no sense, they merely double back and declare it all a big self-parody. Not even Al Jean (architect of the show in its prime and the Larry David of "The Simpsons") can save it now.

Since the talented voice cast has remained the same low these many years, I put all the blame on this squarely with the Fox network who refused to let this show go out gracefully when Groening siphoned off his role to work on his dream project, the now far superior 'Futurama'. In Fox's race to claim this endurance record they have turned a once edgy and visionary show into an institution with an assembly line production and revolving door of writers to match any of the other lame shows on TV. Behind the scenes, maybe the condescending we-can-do-no-wrong attitude of Maxton-Graham has dealt the show its biggest death blow, while producer Mike Scully sat back and ineptly let Maxton-Graham run it into the ground.

In the end, the biggest blame may actually land with the "die-hard fans" that embolden the show by letting it get away with this junk. Yes, "The Simpsons" was ground-breaking and every adult animation in the future owns it a bit of gratitude, but blind loyalty to a show only for how it performed in the past isn't healthy.

Since it has hit long-running status the critical bandwagon jumping has begun and "Simpsons" is more popular than ever amongst critics that want to be on the inside of history. We've now reached a point where the bad episodes and bad entire seasons outweigh the good and that, I'm afraid, is going to be the sad legacy of "Simpsons" . A train-wreck of crass, childish humor, grainy animation, oddly misplaced satire and forced parodies of only the most obvious pop culture targets.

10 years ago I didn't know what I would do without "The Simpsons" but now, particularly with the emergence of satisfying new adult animated shows ('Futurama', 'Family Guy' and 'South Park'), living without it might be pretty good.

* * / 5
79 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible Soap Opera Has Run It's Course
rainbowfascistparty10 December 2018
I grew up loving the Simpsons since I was 10. Loving it enough to record it every week and save the VHS tapes. I LOVED it, do you understand? But am disgusted with the last few seasons. There is no comedy left in it, every episode is just a sad, mopey melodramatic soap opera wherein the writers rehash the miserable angst of their pointless, awful daily family lives. If you have more than ten cringeworthy tearjerking attempts at family angst per episode, that's not a comedy, it's just telenovela torture. End it. It's over, the writing is AWFUL. Put this miserable POS show out of it's misery and force these writers to retire or work on the cringy soap-operas they would clearly prefer to produce. IT IS DEAD, BURY IT ALREADY!
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I miss The Simpsons
josephspriggs6 October 2018
Simpsons seasons 1-10 are 10 stars. 11-13 are 8/7 stars. It goes down hill quickly from there
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No longer that great
Atreyu_II14 August 2007
When the animated TV series "The Simpsons" first came out, nobody could image how successful it would become. But they made this a clever TV series: that original family with their silly humor conquered many people. From 1989 until (maybe) almost the end of the 1990's, this was a great TV show. It was very humorous, highly creative and had all the needed ingredients to be a classic.

All of the characters are very peculiar and eccentric: Bart, Lisa, Marge and Homer. On the other hand, Maggie is innocent because she's a baby. Marge has that weird hair and Homer is more than just the silliest of all Simpsons: he's the silliest "family chief" ever!

However, in these last years "The Simpsons" has been notoriously going downhill. It isn't that great anymore. It doesn't have that classic status any longer and its humor has become more irritating. It isn't so funny anymore.

Now is definitely time to put an end to this TV show. They should have done that years ago. The more time they'll take to finally do it, the more they'll ruin it.
42 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once Great, Now Bad
hereispierre7 August 2018
It's very hard for me to try to put a rating on this show. At one time it was the best comedy series on TV and possibly even the best one ever. Unfortunately it went into a decline after the first ten years or so, and then a steep decline, to the point where it is less than a shadow of what it once was. They really should have quit several years ago, but at this point they might as well just keep going and see how many episodes they can rack up before the plug is finally pulled.
42 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
used to LOVE Simpsons
hollhoff12 June 2020
Way before most of you might remember, The Simpson's was just a little short that aired in small snippets throughout each episode of The Tracy Ullman Show. That's when my brothers and I began to watch and we were hooked. It was a genius part of our childhood showcasing some of the quirkiest characters, hilarious humor, and brilliant writing.

What ruined it? The show became politically correct; it's producer & writers began pandering to sanctimonious whiners who complained that Abu was offensive. Instead of taking a stand and saying 'If you don't like it, don't watch it,' the weak and perhaps self righteous writers cowed to a millennial mindset that suggests the world censor its content to appease their entitled mentality.

So The Simpson's caved with no regard for the opinions of those who'd been with them from the beginning. Viewers like myself who'd watched for decades, were disgusted and the choice to pander to bullies instead of having the integrity to stand by characters they had created.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The show that won't die
argimlumani21 August 2020
The simpsons is like every horror movie villian no matter what you do it still keeps getting up despite the fact that this show has been garbage since season 9 its still running because the talentless hacks running this show into the ground dont care about quality only profit the simpsons should have been taken out back and had a bullet put in its head for good
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only rated so high, a 3, due to its once long past brilliancy
jesselukecox27 April 2020
What was once a brilliant parody and satire of American pop culture and Western society in general has now become something on worthy of being satirized. And is now a parody; of itself. Damn that was one catchy paragraph I should be a tabloid movie reviewer.

Anyways The Simpsons has been around as long as I have, literally, as a TV show. It was probably on Tracey Ullman before I was born. It's probably the first cartoon I remember. I thought it was called The Simp Simps and that they all had tall blue hair like Marge. It was by far my favourite show for nearly a decade oh, and those were during its brilliant golden age, seven or eight tremendous seasons with hardly a slow or tone down episode in the bunch.

I discovered this last later in life, when I was around 19 and got back into watching all of the old Simpsons episodes online. It was designed for families; the kids could relate with Bart and Lisa and the wonderful cast bullies and dorks, and there was plenty of moral and tongue and cheek jokes about society, culture, sexuality with a host of guest stars introduced brilliantly.

Is a shame what's happened to this show. I went from loving it to hating it, to loving it again and it's always been there. I know this is probably one of Fox's me and shows, but I don't think they rely on it quite the way they used to. Seth MacFarlane from family guy has three of his own shows all animated on there and there are other family-based sitcoms as well now. It's hard to imagine a world without Simpsons, and if they were to have killed it off oh, I would have liked them to have done it probably 20 years ago or so. The Simpsons is an inevitability.

I doubt it will truly ever even come close to having the impact what are the sharp wit of its Glory days.it's a shame really, tragic and almost a parody of itself that is still on the ear, and that's a 22 minutes they put out every week while in the season or a parody showing empty shells of the once amazing characters that walk within the fictional world of Springfield. Due to those days, I will not begrudge it its existence. It's an institution oh, and I guess it's being paid its due respect by the fact it's still on the air, if not competing with, cooperating with about a thousand imitators and competitors.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heads and Tails
dlpburke5 November 2015
This show requires two reviews. On one side (season 1-9), we have a show that ranges from good to brilliant and, on the other (season 10+), we have a show that ranges from mediocre to absolutely atrocious.

Most of what went wrong has been stated by pretty much everyone who once loved The Simpsons. Today, it is nothing like what it started out as. It's now just a big dumb cartoon for big dumb people. The soul has been ripped out and replaced by a putrid cesspool. The only drive there is at all now—be it for the writers or for the voice actors—is MONEY. The Simpsons has a multitude of writers (many of them now long gone), so it's little wonder that it has such extremes in quality. Clearly, no-one in charge cares about the show anymore; if they did, it would have ended a long time ago. But let's not blame the cast and crew entirely, because DUMB people are still watching this drivel. Either that or stupidly 'loyal' fanboys being taken for a ride. Still, there is no doubt that, somewhere along the way, a decision was made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, thus targeting a wider demographic, instead of those with a higher intellect. It's tougher to write clever, heart-felt stories than to write childish, directionless crap. That's where we are today.

I differ with most people as to when the Simpsons started heading down hill. To me, it was season four. Season four is the first major departure from self contained, logically sound storytelling in favour of mindless slapstick (especially in regards to Homer's transformation from loving dad to crazy moron). Go and watch seasons one to three, and you'll notice that season four is where the main departure took place (although there are some warning signs of what is to come in seasons two and three, such as celebrity appearances and the odd episode with Homer acting like an idiot). I consider seasons one to three to have a 10/10 rating, and seasons four to nine to have an 8/10 rating. The difference to me is that in seasons one to three, the characters act and feel real. The situations are mostly realistic, people are behaving like people, and there is an emotional attachment to the characters. I still enjoy seasons four to nine but, in my opinion, they were heading in the wrong direction.

After season nine, the show deteriorates before collapsing entirely. Here are some of the reasons:

1. Stories are now predominantly based on slapstick. Suspension of disbelief is impossible to maintain.

2. There is no structure to the stories. Episodes have become a vehicle for cheap jokes and predictable set-pieces. The audience is bombarded with them. Stories are no longer about anything—there is no message.

3. Pathetic celebrity appearances that are nothing more than an annoying ego-boosting exercise for those involved. The fact this hasn't abated, despite how obviously BAD it is, tells me a great deal about the people who now run The Simpsons.

4. Characters behaving totally abnormally and increasingly ridiculous. This is most noticeable with Homer, but occurs across the board. For example, Lisa is now a mouthpiece for the Left, and Chief Wiggum is the most ridiculous cop on earth.

5. Humour is no longer clever or based around a story; it's all just lame and chaotic.

6. All flash and no substance. Even the perfect intro has been replaced with a bloated monstrosity that illustrates perfectly where the problems lie: Flash and no substance, quantity and not quality, clean and lifeless animation (also less unique frames).

7. No direction or goal. Most ideas have already been realized.

8. Stories are no longer character driven.

It's disheartening to know that when The Simpsons finally ends, it will bring with it a huge sigh of relief, rather than sadness. Who would have thought that would be the case in the early '90s?
59 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awkward feelings
mancunianfatman25 November 2010
I have to start off by saying that seasons 1-9 of the Simpsons were absolutely fantastic, easily some of the best television i have ever seen. the writing was sharp and witty, the characters unpredictable and to some degree you could relate to them. I don't think anyone can deny that the Simpsons is probably the most famous TV show ever. even people who don't watch the show have heard about it or can name a few of the characters whether it be Homer, Bart or Marge, THAT IS HOW POWERFUL THIS SHOW HAS BECOME. After all the success of the TV show it was inevitable that eventually a movie would be made, but to talk about the movie would be starting a completely different review all together, so i won't get into that.

Now you might have wondering why i have got "Awkward feelings" as my summary, well thats exactly what i get when i watch the more recent episodes. i feel awkward and pretty upset to be honest, at just how bad the newer episodes are. they are over the top, pointless and predictable. in the first 9 seasons each episode had a subtle moral whether it be about stealing , drugs or other things, but when watching the latest ones i just get the feeling they make them just for the money factor, without actually giving a Sh*t about how they are ruining the memories most hardcore fans have of when the show was the best thing on television. It has gone on far too long , and i know i am in the majority when i say that this show is slowly starting to leave a bad taste in mouths of the fans. They should just end the show now whilst its still "decent" , in the 400+ episodes that exist, you would think they have told all the stories they wanted about the family, but no they keep coming up with stupid stories that make no sense, which we have already seen similar ones to in the older episodes.

As much as i cannot stand the last 5 or six seasons , ill still have to give this show 10/10 , because of the first 9 or so seasons, That is how highly i think of them.

By Scott Dewhurst
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way past its prime
matthewcs2530 January 2010
The Simpsons was a wonderful show. In its heyday in the 90s, it was probably the best show on TV. To call it a defining show of the 90s is an understatement. The Simpsons is probably one of the most obvious examples of 90s pop culture. The show has the distinction of being the one with the most guest appearances. Indeed, it is difficult to imagine TV without The Simpsons. However, the show has been dead for the last ten years. It started to decline, appropriately enough, at the end of the 90s. Here are the reasons for its decline.

1) It tried to be like South Park and Family Guy. The Simpsons was a novelty for many years. It was a prime time cartoon. However, in 1997 South Park premiered. This was a cartoon that used violence and profanity for shock value. In 1999, Family Guy premiered and was also much racier. In 1999, The Simpsons began experimenting with this on their shows. This was never a staple of them before.

2) The character of Maude Flanders was killed. She was a major character that was killed off about 1999 or 2000. Having her die completely changed the tone of the show and especially the Flanders family, who are major characters.

3) Plots became wacky. The original charm of the show was the fact that it was somewhat realistic. The show soon started having ridiculous plots like Homer and Ned marrying floozies in Las Vegas.

4) Phil Hartman died. The loss of Phil Hartman was devastating to the show. His characters provided much depth into the show and interesting plots.

The Simpsons was a great show and it is sad to see it go downhill so much.
40 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.