Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) Poster

A wonderful film...just not for all ages.
MartinHafer27 October 2020
There are close to 300 reviews for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and it's pretty much accepted in nearly all of them that this movie is a classic. I certainly won't argue that nor the how the film seamlessly integrates live action and cartoons....this is really a given. The film is great entertainment and fun.

That being said, I should point out one important thing. Despite being a Disney cartoon, it is NOT for all ages. Some of the jokes are needlessly crude but more than that, the violence in the movie is just too much for young viewers. I let my daughter see it when she was young...and in hindsight, that was a mistake. A great film....just not one for kids under age 7 or 8.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, and I mean wow!
TheLittleSongbird2 March 2009
One word, outstanding! i loved this when I was a kid. I'm 16 now and i still love it. The live action with the animation was perfectly blended, and I was howling with laughter at the beginning. The story is perfect, about a rabbit framed for a murder, when he suspects his wife of cheating on him. Bob Hoskins was brilliant as the melancholy drunk private eye, while Christopher Lloyd has great fun as the very scary villain. I would never have guessed the ending in a million years, totally unpredictable, and quite scary too. The real stars were the toons. Some of the funniest scenes were with them, like Eddie in ToonTown, and the weasels were a blast. reminded me of the Untouchables, actually. I didn't know for ages, that Kathaleen Turner voiced Jessica Rabbit, wow that woman is beautiful. Turner voiced Jessica brilliantly. in conclusion, a hugely satisfying part animated comedy, that both kids and adults will love. 10/10 Bethany Cox
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Energetic and imaginative
Leofwine_draca6 April 2018
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is one of the big kid's flicks of the 1980s, a labour of love that ably mixes live action and cartoon footage into an engaging and vibrant whole. It's not one of my favourite movies - it's a little too childish and goofy for that - but it's a lot better than it has any right to be. The mystery and film noir aspects of the film are achieved very nicely, and Bob Hoskins is a wonderful choice of lead actor, nicely supported by a typically kooky Christopher Lloyd ranged against him. There are cameos for the old-timers watching, lots of cartoon violence for the kids, and an incredible twist ending with some wonderfully funny scenes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great marriage of cartoon and hard-boiled noir
SnoopyStyle4 June 2015
Roger Rabbit is a distracted Toon performer in the Maroon Cartoon studio. R.K. Maroon hires Toon-hating private detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) to investigate Jessica Rabbit and break up their relationship once and for all. Toons supposedly killed Eddie's brother. A private company called Cloverleaf buys up the public transit Red Car. Bartender Dolores (Joanna Cassidy) is an old friend. At the nightclub to see Jessica perform, Eddie photographs Jessica playing pattycake with the owner of Toontown Marvin Acme. Roger Rabbit is distraught and when Marvin Acme turns up dead, he's the prime suspect. Creepy Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) intends on tracking down the Rabbit and bringing order to Toontown with the use of his dip. Acme supposed to have a Will leaving Toontown to the Toons. Eddie starts finding evidence of wrong-doing as he investigates.

This is a great marriage between the cartoon world and an old style hard-boiled detective story. The only problem is that future live-action animation never lived up to the imagination and shear audacity of this work. The genre becomes mostly kids movies. This is great for kids and for adults who see the influence of classic noirs like Chinatown in this. Bob Hoskins is a great unconventional lead and Jessica Rabbit is the breakout cartoon character.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real "Breeze!" to watch over and over!
mark.waltz23 November 2018
This is for the kid in all of us, those who grew up with cartoons as part of our movie going in the 1930's, 40's and 50's, and in my case, grew up watching the Saturday morning line-up that automatically featured two hours of "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner" show. It will take more than one viewing to catch all of the famous cartoon characters who appear in this film, mostly ones from the early sound era (in the public domain most likely) and those from Warner Brothers and Disney. This is a mixture of animation and film noir, with the human characters and cartoon characters mixing together as if they were part of the same world, although the presence of an area of the Hollywood Hills known as "Toon Town" makes the cartoon character's world seem "segregated'. The film stars Bob Hoskins as a cynical private detective down to the last threads of an agency, desperate for a case, practically any case, but not one preferably concerning "toons", as his brother was killed by a "toon", which has stereotyped most toons in his book (with the exception of Betty Boop perhaps) as bad.

The film opens with a hysterical spoof of the Warner Brothers cartoons with Roger Rabbit the baby sitter for a cookie craving toddler who endangers Roger's life simply by crawling out of his high chair while Roger isn't looking. After this, we learn the truth about "toon actors" (he's a 50 year old toon with a 3 month old "dinkie", the actor playing the baby garbles), and then get to meet Roger's wife, Jessica, an animated film noir vixen who sings like Amy Irving but talks like Kathleen Turner. Is Jessica a murderous femme fatale who killed off toon town owner Stubby Kaye? Or is she an innocent patty caker who is just content to stay at home and make Roger a carrot cake? As we learn from Betty Boop, work has been hard for some toons ever since cartoons went to color, and the fact that Jessica is the lucky one because Roger Rabbit is a huge star. The dueling Daffy and Donald Duck piano playing sequence proves that not all ducks come from the same pot and that not all of them cackle or squawk in a practically un-hearable manner.

Then, there's the evil darkly dressed judge (Christopher Lloyd) who seems to somehow be a distant relative of Disney's evil queens, sorceresses and stepmothers, obsessed with destroying toon town because of his creation of some obscure traveling idea called "a freeway". "Billboards as far as the eye can see!", Lloyd proclaims, and in order to get this through the valley, he needs to destroy toon town, and that means stopping anybody who can get ahold of Kaye's will. His crew of evil howling hyena henchmen will do anything for either a laugh or a quick buck, and as the audience learns, they literally have the ability to laugh themselves to death.

Where there's a femme fatale in film noir, there's also the tired, big hearted waitress, and here, it's Hoskins' long suffering girlfriend, Joanna Cassidy. While Jessica is an animated Rita Hayworth style character, Cassidy is a modern day compilation of Joan Blondell, Ann Sheridan or Alice Faye who essayed that archetype throughout the 1930's and 40's. The details here are fabulous with references to many aspects of the entertainment world of the 1940's, even a reference to the invisible rabbit Harvey. The most popular animated rabbit of all time, Bugs Bunny, does appear, paired with the single most popular mouse in animation history, Mickey. To see these two legendary characters together is ingenious, right after Hoskins encounters a "piggy picking" Tweety Bird. Of course, with energy lacking dog Droopy as the elevator pooch, Hoskins already has his hands full when he enters this toon town apartment building.

This film created a huge buzz in 1988, having long runs in its premiere and filling up the massive Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd. for weeks. Several cartoon short sequels followed, but unfortunately, there was never a sequel, with director Robert Zemickis realizing perhaps there was no way he could top this, so why try? Thirty years after its premiere, it holds up as a classic in every way, with the mixture of animation and live action superb and the 1940's atmosphere brilliant. Even a haunting musical score by Alan Silvestri makes you feel like you've driven into a time tunnel. There are few films that are absolutely perfect, and this would certainly be in most people's top 10 listing of films that are. Whether you are a return viewer to this film for the umpeenth time (and get teary-eyed over the nostalgia that it brings back) or a first time young viewer out to find out why this is so brilliant, it is guaranteed to bring on a smile, many a laugh, and certainly for first time viewers, become a film you will want to revisit again and again...and again.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun film for both adults and older kids
bob the moo28 December 2003
Down on his luck Eddie Valiant is hired by cartoon studio producer RK Maroon to help get his main star, Roger Rabbit, to focus on the job rather than his wife. To do this Valiant is told to get photographs of Jessica Rabbit with another man. He does this but it only serves to send Roger into a rage and he storms off the lot. When the man that was photographed with Jessica turns up dead the next day, Roger is wanted by the police and the toon hating Judge Doom. Roger goes to Valiant to help him, but is there more to the story than meets the eye?

I saw this film years ago in the cinema as a child and loved it then just as much as I do now. The plot is a classic bit of noir - complete with drunken, bitter private dick, a beautiful but untrustworthy femme fatale, plot twists and a patsy. The twist here is that this is a kids film (more or less) and that it features cartoon characters! This works well - making it accessible for kids but still clever enough for adults.

That's not to say that the adults won't like the cartoons too. With so many famous characters making cameos there is plenty of cartoons for adults to enjoy. The humour of the film is quite violent and may not be appropriate for younger children - especially the steamroller scene near the end which I found a little upsetting when I saw this as a preteen. Regardless of that the film is still pretty funny and can be enjoyed by most, even if kids won't get the plot or references to other movies.

Hoskins is good - he fits the rundown noir mould well but can also clown when he has to. Lloyd is a great bad guy - scary enough to bother kids but not comic to the point that he is a clown character to adults. Jessica Rabbit sticks in the mind, likely one of the best femme fatales if she were real, she is voiced really well by Turner and the animation fits her voice well. Fleischer's Roger is good for a cartoon character but it is often the other cartoon characters that are more enjoyable; not only the various cameos but also the weasels and the taxicab.

Overall this is a good movie but maybe not for young kids due to the dark edge and some scary scenes. However for older children and adults this is real good fun - a good plot, a noir atmosphere and a clever twist on the creation of cartoons in the real world.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Landmark in Animation
gavin69428 January 2007
Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) is hired to take some naughty pictures of Jessica Rabbit and Marvin Acme. Soon, Jessica's husband Roger is framed for murder and Eddie -- the same man who just worked against him -- must help Roger prove his innocence and save Toon Town from being bought up by devious capitalist interests.

This film combines cartoons with live-action actors, which is both the appeal and the strength of the film. While some moments are less than perfect, for the most part the creators did a fine job of showing how two-dimensional characters would operate in a three-dimensional world. Terry Gilliam has likened the film to "Howard the Duck" and of course many today could compare the movie favorably with "Cool World".

The acting is fine all around. Bob Hoskins is great, and all the supporting cast are believable as people in a 1947 film noir world. Many other actors were rumored to be wanted for the role of Valiant, but I have a hard time seeing anyone pull it off like Hoskins did (which, in turn, is now the role he is remembered for). The cartoons are also okay for the most part, though some are annoying. Unfortunately, the most annoying is Roger. If they had to make a new character for this story, why did he have to be so incredibly irritating?

The subplot of the "freeway" is nice. While I would like to think that there was a message in there about how globalization or rampant consumerism is bad, I am thinking that was not really the point and this was perhaps more of a throw away joke. And I do not deny I appreciate gas stations, rapidly-prepared food and billboards as far as the eye can see.

I also take issue with Valiant's drinking problem. We never really see the problem (he passes out once, but is probably just tired). Yet, comments about his alcoholism must happen ten or twelve times. Show us, do not tell us. And the "toon killed my brother" line is great, but it is used like four or five times and we do not need to be reminded. If this were actually a children's movie, maybe they need the help, but I do not think even they are that dumb or forgetful.

If you do not see this one, you might be missing out. If nothing else, it is a landmark in animation and set a new standard for how cartoons should look. But if you are from the 1980s or 1990s generation, this is probably already a part of your childhood and you are going to want to see it again for the first time. Maybe it is not "The Land Before Time" or "Titanic", but it is one of the more memorable films you are going to see... Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse together on one screen.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was the first movie that I ever saw in the theaters.
lee_eisenberg14 July 2005
When I was four years old, some friends took me to the movie theater. Eventually, I realized that there was a character named Roger Rabbit, but I kept wondering why they didn't show more of him. Also, I interpreted that there was a place called "the studios", that someone tried to put Roger Rabbit in some soup, and that at one point, a bunch of characters popped up and started singing. But overall, I didn't understand what the movie was about.

A few years later, I rented a movie, and realized that it was the same one that I had seen in the theaters. I was now able to understand the plot: Roger Rabbit is framed for murder, and he hires detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) to clear him. In the process, Eddie discovers that this all relates to his past. "The studios" were Maroon Studios, the "soup" was Dip, and the characters popping up and singing was the scene where Eddie drives into Toontown.

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a most impressive movie. There had been mixtures of live action and animation before, but this brought it to a new level. One of my favorite scenes was when Daffy Duck and Donald Duck were playing "Hungarian Rhapsody" on the pianos and undermining each other's performances.

Anyway, this is a most formidable accomplishment, fun for everyone in every way. As Roger Rabbit would probably say: "P-p-p-p-p-p-lease, ya gotta come see this movie!"
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
jboothmillard18 March 2005
An excellent film with animation and live-action put together. Golden Globe nominated Bob Hoskins plays Eddie Valiant, a cop who used to work for cartoon characters until an accident involving his brother. He has found out that the wife of cartoon character Roger Rabbit (Charles Fleischer), the very gorgeous and very sexy Jessica Rabbit (Kathleen Turner) seems to be having an affair (although she isn't). She explains that she had to look like she was otherwise someone would kill her. Later he meets Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) who looks like a man not to be trusted, he kills a cartoon character in some special acid. Eddie later finds out that he is the man who murdered his brother. A good comedy and drama with some good giggles and interesting incidents. It won the Oscars Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Visual Effects and Best Film Editing, and it was nominated for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Sound and a Special Achievement Award for Richard Williams (for animation direction and creation of the cartoon characters), it won the BAFTA for Best Special Effects, and it was nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Production Design and Best Adapted Screenplay, and it was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical. Jessica Rabbit was number 87 on The 100 Greatest Sex Symbols, she was also number 8 on The 100 Greatest Sexy Moments, the film was number 21 on The 100 Greatest Family Films, and it was number 19 on The 100 Greatest Cartoons. Outstanding!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who Can Watch A Loud 100-Minute Cartoon?
ccthemovieman-113 September 2006
I appreciated the inventiveness of this when it came out in the late '80s It was quite the "talk" of the business the way they mixed live characters with cartoon characters. That now has been copied, of course, but this was one-a-kind when it was released.

For me, I never could warm up to the film. I tried several times but found Bob Hoskins and the animated characters so loud and so abrasive that it turned me off, big-time. Yeah, I was as amazed as anyone at some of the scenes, how seamlessly they blended it all to make it look so real. However, that abrasiveness wears thin, particularly after you've seen this movie at least once. This is like watching a loud: fun for awhile, but 100 straight minutes?! Tooo long.

Warning: this is NOT a kids' movie. One reviewer here writes "is's a great family film"....antihero writes "any member of the family will like it,",,on and on and on. Oh, man are the film world (and its critics so out of touch .There are some swear words, sexual innuendos and blatant sexual overtones every time the character "Jessica" is on screen with her huge breasts, thin waist and gyrating hips. Folks, that's why this is adult viewing. Adults - not kids - get it?
23 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's fun to be had for classic cartoon buffs, but it's not great.
BA_Harrison22 August 2019
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone loves 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'. I appreciate the creativity and imagination involved, but there are several things about the film that have always bugged me.

Firstly, and most importantly, Roger himself: I really dislike his voice and mannerisms - he should have been loveable, but instead he's thoroughly irritating. When much of the film revolves around such an obnoxious character, we're not off to a good start.

Secondly, the animation: it's clever the way it is integrated into real-life (although not as ground-breaking as it is claimed to be - remember Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks?), but I hate the soft shading used to give a supposedly realistic 3D effect; I'd much prefer simpler cel shading or none at all.

Bob Hoskins always seemed to me like a strange choice: he doesn't suit the role of a tough, hard-drinking noir-style detective. He's too short and pudgy.

The plot is kinda dull: some tommyrot about a missing will, real estate deals and a plan to build a freeway. Yawn.

And the run-time of 104 minutes is unnecessarily long.

On the plus side, Christopher Lloyd is great as villain Judge Doom (scary enough to give young kids bad dreams), Joanna Cassidy as Eddie's love interest is yummy, there are some fun cameos from classic cartoon characters, and the final fight that makes use of lots of Acme products is inventive.

On the whole, I find the film to be passable entertainment, but it's not one that I like to revisit all that often.
0 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colorfully frantic, with every human and 'toon vying for their share of the laughs...
moonspinner5527 August 2006
A cartoon rabbit is framed for murder and seeks the help of a human gumshoe to solve the case. Director Robert Zemeckis admirably, seamlessly managed to bring together live-action and old-school animation with this 1940's slapstick tale set mostly in Hollywood, but the screenplay, adapted from Gary Wolf's book, seems to have gotten lost in the mad rush to fill the picture with every eye-popping visual trick the filmmakers could come up with. There's enough color here to fill ten pictures (with energy to spare), but the plot is so weak it's eventually rendered negligible, and all the pushing and shouting (from both the main players and the newly-created animated characters) is literally exhausting. Many Walt Disney and Warner Bros. cartoon favorites pop up in cameos, and it's certainly a treat to see them sharing the screen, but without a strong story-framework to make everybody's time worthwhile, the movie just becomes a frantic trip down memory lane--with no rest-stops. ** from ****
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never gets old.
TxMike13 March 2004
I had seen 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' some years ago, around the time it came out. I watched it again yesterday with two teens who had not even been born in 1988. We all enjoyed it, and I had forgotten much of the story line. While it isn't the first movie to mix animated characters with live characters, it is arguably the first to do it in a realistic, 3-dimensional way. I remember seeing some 'making of' footage many years ago, pretty fascinating stuff.

Edit 2019: I watched it again on BluRay from my public library, 15 years after watching it with the teens who now are 30, married and out of town. Brought back fond memories.

SPOILERS follow, for my recollection, please read no further, OK!?

There is an alternate reality called Toon Town, and the residents are referred to as 'Toons.' They actually come into our world to act in cartoons, and do all the dangerous things we see in cartoons without getting injured. Roger Rabbit is married to shapely Jessica (Kathleen Turner voiced) and is set up, 'framed', by Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd of BTTF 'Doc Brown' fame) who in the end turns out to be a 'Toon' also. We learn that as he gets squashed by a steamroller, but then gets up, and re-inflates himself. Roger and Jessica live happily ever after and the bad Toons are destroyed in a mixture made by Judge Doom -- acetone, benzene, and paint thinner.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best family film of the 80's
Quinoa198431 July 2000
I say this film is a family film because that is what it is. Anyone in the family will like it. It pitches it's animated rabbit to the kids, and for the teens and adults, they can look for humor in other things. The plot is a complicated one (like most detective mysteries) that brings a drunken detective back to the detective game of cartoons. Sometimes funny, sometimes compassionate, always entertaining. With director Zemeckis bringing one of the best animated films in a film that is half live action/half animated. It is a landmark in visual effects and nothing like this will ever come around again. A+
59 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic!
BandSAboutMovies17 July 2021
Based on the 1981 novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit? By Gary K. Wolf, this movie is from a time before crossovers and meta-based films like the latest Space Jam and Ready: Player One. It was incredibly mindblowing as a teen to watch this movie on the big screen and see Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse actually having a conversation.

What's even better is that it has a film noir mystery at its center with Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant*, a down on his luck private investigator dealing with his hate of animated characters known as Toons which actually exist in this alternate universe.

At the time, this was the most expensive animated film ever made, but Walt Disney Studios chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg believed that live-action and animation together would save the cartoon department at Disney.

Plus, the studio brought in executive producer Steven Spielberg and his production company, Amblin Entertainment, who would get creative control and most of the box office, leaving Disney to keep merchandising rights.

Spielberg went to work getting other studios to lend their characters to the film, getting most of the Warner Brothers characters to appear but sadly failing to get Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Casper the Friendly Ghost or any of the Terrytoons.

With live action directed by Robert Zemeckis and animation by Richard Williams - along with the skills of Dean Cundy as cinematographer, Arthur Schmidt as editor and hundreds of artists making all the animation** - this film stands out as nearly the final chapter on traditional animation***.

Eisner and Roy E. Disney, vice chairman of The Walt Disney Company, felt the film was too sexual, but Zemeckis had final cut privileges (and Williams disliked Disney so much that he based his animation studio in England so they could not interfere). That's why this was a Touchstone Pictures release instead of Disney.

Even today, Zemeckis claims that Disney will never make any of the proposed sequels, telling Den of Geek, "The current corporate Disney culture has no interest in Roger, and they certainly don't like Jessica at all." He also claimed that a sequel**** wouldn't be on Disney+ as there are no princesses in it. There were, however, some animated shorts that came out after the film: Tummy Trouble proceeded Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Roller Coaster Rabbit played before Dick Tracy and Trail Mix-Up was in front of A Far Off Place.

Instead of a detailed summary of the plot of this film, I suggest you view it for yourself. However, I will share that I absolutely love Joanna Cassidy as Eddie's strong and capable love Dolores and Christopher Lloyd is beyond outstanding as Judge Doom. And I think it's amazing that early versions of the script had The Toon Patrol weasels as Stupid, Smart Ass, Greasy, Wheezy and Psycho, created to be inversions of Snow White's Seven Dwarves Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey).

Charles Fleischer was so dedicated to his role as Roger that he dressed up on set and did his lines. And man, has any voice ever been better for a cartoon noir girl than Kathleen Turner (and Amy Irving for the singing voice)? And any movie where a cartoon baby gruffly says, "I got a thirty-year-old lust and a three-year-old dinky..."

One last fact: When Eddie takes Roger Rabbit into the back room at the bar and Dolores is sawing their handcuffs, the lamp on the ceiling bumps and swings. That's all animation that was added to give the scene something extra. All of those shadows were drawn. That's why the phrase "bump the lamp" is used at Disney even today when people say they need to go the extra mile to make something special, even if no one notices it.

*Test footage has Peter Renaday as Eddie Valiant, Paul Reubens as Roger Rabbit and Russi Taylor as Jessica Rabbit. Other actors who were almost Eddie include Harrison Ford, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Ed Harris, Charles Grodin, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, Sylvester Stallone, Wallace Shawn and Don Lane.

**Post-production lasted 14 months and all of the animation was made with cel art and optical tricks instead of CGI.

***It's also the last time Mel Blanc would voice Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Tweety Bird, and Sylvester the Cat.

****You have no idea how badly I want to see Roger Rabbit: The Toon Platoon, a movie where Roger would have entered World War II and met his real father, Bugs Bunny.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
studioAT1 June 2021
This was a film I admired the quality of rather than enjoyed.

Decent overall.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yeah it looks great but...
preppy-319 February 2006
This movie takes place in 1947 in an imaginary world where cartoons are alive. Roger Rabbit is framed for killing somebody. Down and out detective Bob Hoskins is hired to find out who did it.

This movie has a lot going for it. Virtually every cartoon character in existence (up till 1947) puts in an appearance. The animation is superb and the mix of live action with it is seamless. The movie starts off with a Looney Toons type cartoon--but sped up FAST! Also Jessica Rabbit (voiced by Kathleen Turner) is VERY interesting to watch. This film is purportedly an allegory on how blacks were treated in 1940s Hollywwod--all the "toons" here are servants or waiters and all live in a separate section of town. There are also a ton of inside jokes. I liked it--but not completely.

Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd and Joanna Cassidy give terrible performances--but the script WAS against them and they were basically reacting to nothing. Roger Rabbit himself was a VERY annoying character--I could care less what happened to him. The storyline was vague and more than a little confusing--it kept coming to a screeching halt countless times when a "toon" made a cameo. No characterizations either--the cartoons are more 3-dimensional than the humans! The script also thinks it's more clever than it actually is.

I didn't like this much when it came out in 1988--it was a MONSTER hit. My feelings haven't changed much. Still--a lot of people liked this and kids will love it. Use your own judgment. For the animation and live action mix alone I give it a 7.

"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful, Belligerent, and Bountiful…Nostalgia Run Amock
LeonLouisRicci8 January 2016
Virtually a "Stand Alone", Extravagant, Exuberant, and completely Nutzoid Movie that was, at the time, Audacious, Ambitious, and anything but the usual Stuff released Weekly by the Hollywood Big Shots.

In its Initial Release it Pleased most Moviegoers, especially those old enough to have Grown Up with Disney, Warner Brothers, and the other Competing "Toon" Studios.

Just about All of the Toon Characters that Appear in Cameos and Background were Popular in the Full Animation Period that lasted until about the Early Sixties when Hanna Barbara's Cheap and Flat Style took over Television and Killed the much more Expensive, but more Impressive Predecessor.

Eye-Popping, Fantastic, and Frenetic, if the Film has a Fault, it may be its over Enthusiastic Inclusion of so Much in so Little Time. Much of the Frame is constantly being "Fought Over" for Screen Time by the Myriad of "Toons" Squeezing in and out of Scenes.

Also, some have Problems with the Main Character, Roger Rabbit's Irritating and Grating Voice and He doesn't quite Measure Up to the Legendary Appeal of the Supporting Cast of His Animated Cousins.

But maybe, He was "Just Drawn That Way". Anyway, His On Screen Wife Jessica never has that Problem and is one of the Movie's Standouts (Her Action Figure was an instant sellout) and is Infamous for early home Video freeze frames.

The Film has been given its Due by Fans and Critics even after the Initial Wonder Dissipated. It may not be as Impressive Today but few Films as Groundbreaking and Innovative as this that Push the Boundaries of the Art-Form to New Levels and New Directions Rarely are.

Overall, slightly Underrated but cannot be denied its Status as a Belligerent, Beautiful, and Wonderful Experiment that gave Movie Patrons a Platform for its Joyful Nostalgia, and yes, it did and does make People laugh.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generational Enjoyment
view_and_review24 February 2020
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a classic. A test of a classic is if it maintains its relevance and/or excellence over time. In other words, it's not dated. I just watched it with my daughter who is roughly the same age I was when I first watched it over 30 years ago and the two of us enjoyed it equally. Although I felt like I failed as a father when she didn't recognize Yosemite Sam, Tweety Bird, Daffy Duck, and the other Looney Tunes characters.

I remember first seeing it and being amazed that there could be such a crossover with cartoons and live people. There was "Mary Poppins" and maybe some others, but WFRR was even more innovative. It was funny, creative, and had a brilliant plot. I'm sure my daughter can watch this movie in 30 years with her own kids and they would enjoy it just the same.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dazzling Special Effects in Toon Town
evanston_dad28 July 2008
A dazzling mixture of live action and animation is this film's selling point, but it helps that it's anchored by a smart script that tips its hat to the detective noirs of the 1940s and by good performances from both its human actors (Bob Hoskins and Christopher Lloyd) and its voice performers (Kathleen Turner is especially memorable as Jessica Rabbitt, perhaps the sexiest cartoon woman in history).

Computer animation has made special effects passé, but at the time of this movie's release, its effects were state of the art, making Disney's previous efforts to blend live action and animation (like "Mary Poppins") look hopelessly antiquated.

You'll have a blast spotting the cartoon celebrity cameos. It's like a Merrie Melodies version of "Around the World in 80 Days."

Grade: A
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Imaginative
Uriah4330 June 2019
Hired to find out the reason a cartoon actor named "Roger Rabbit" (voice of Charles Fleischer) is not performing in his usual manner, a private detective named "Eddie Valiant" (Bob Hoskins) discovers that Roger's wife "Jessica Rabbit" (voice of Kathleen Turner) has been "playing pattycake" with a human by the name of "Marvin Acme" (Stubby Kaye). However, not long after the incriminating photos are shown to Roger, Stubby just happens to die a violent death-and everybody suspects it was Roger who did it. Everyone that is, except Jessica who tells Eddie that the entire affair was a setup and that she isn't a bad person but that she was simply "drawn that way". Although not totally convinced that Jessica is as innocent as she claims, something doesn't seem quite right to Eddie and as a result he decides investigate a little deeper. But what he doesn't realize is just how dangerous his quest for the truth will eventually become. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a very imaginative picture which made excellent use of portraying real actors next to a host of cartoon characters. Very imaginative indeed. Likewise, there is also a certain amount of mystery mixed in with the cartoonish atmosphere as well. That being said, I thought that this was an entertaining film and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
nice monkey suit......
FlashCallahan2 March 2011
It is 1940's Los Angeles. In a world were Humans and Cartoons co-exist. A famous toon known as Roger Rabbit has life easy, until he discovers that his wife, Jessica Rabbit is having fun with the head of Maroon Cartoons.

Then things take a turn for the worse for Roger as he is know accused of murdering Mr. Maroon. Roger turns to a down and out detective named Eddie Valiant, who has a vendetta for toons.

He helps Roger (against his own will), escape from an uncompromising Judge Doom, and even try to clear Roger's name. In order to do this, he must travel all over L.A. and even into Toontown.

Even though this is a groundbreaking movie, it hasn't aged well sadly. But this homage to film noir, is one of the most original blockbusters ever made. Hoskins is great as valiant, and he has great chemistry with thin air/Roger rabbit.

The jokes and innuendo come thick and fast, and despite some very disturbing scenes (still cannot watch the shoe part, and i'm 33) this is one film to get the family to watch.

The animation is good, but by today's standards, it suffers with continuity. Editing is good, and the film almost contains every animated character ever to grace the big screen, apart from Michael Jackson.

Judge doom is very dark indeed, and makes the film a little too sinister for some, but then the pay off is even more sweeter.

It's 100 minutes of pure Hollywood fun, the kind of film that will never get boring or predictable, no matter how many times you watch it.

great stuff.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that for me just missed the mark.
Aaron13756 September 2009
This movie had a rather good plot, had funny scenes involving some of my favorite cartoon characters and it just missed mainly because of one mistake. That mistake you ask? Making Roger Rabbit sound like he did, it had the annoying factor of Jar Jar Binks, but Roger was in the movie a lot more than even that annoyance. Bob Hoskins whom I usually say is not really starring role material actually turns in a fairly good performance, but he is overshadowed by Christopher Lloyd who is fantastic in his role as Judge Doom. The voice of Jessica Rabbit is also very well done. The plot has Roger framed of course and the only person that can help prove his innocence is a guy named Eddie, who quite frankly does not like cartoon characters all that much. What is behind the murder, and what crazy stuff will happen in Toon Town? All of this would have been so much better if Roger Rabbit was not apparently on crack. Still, it has a lot to offer, I am sure most kids can overlook how annoying Roger is, and they may even find him very funny, heck most kids laughed at Jar Jar. For me though, if they would replace his voice I would probably have given this movie a seven or eight.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Often imitated, has yet to be equaled
Mr-Fusion30 June 2015
I watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" so often growing up, and few movies from that age still maintain this level of (re)watchability. It's so well-worn, yet still entertains on a surprising level.

And really, what's not to like about this movie? It's imaginative, colorful and a little bit insane; like stepping into an alternate reality. That mix of a beautifully-realized 1947 Los Angeles and manic toon world is well handled and makes this a great place to spend 100 minutes in. The animation is first-rate; luminous and mingles believably with the human world (and vice versa). It's a technical marvel, but really, the key to all of this actually working is Bob Hoskins. He does the legwork and makes you believe that he's really talking to a toon (and not a placeholder for ink-n-paint to be added later).

To this day, this is still one of my favorite movies, and one of the very best I've seen from Disney. The craft that's on display here is highly polished, and treats like this do not come along often.

Especially these days.

"Who framed Roger Rabbit" is a classic
Smells_Like_Cheese8 February 2004
I was a little surprised that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" wasn't on the top 250. Almost everyone loves this film. It was a major breakthrough for movies. The cartoon world meets reality.

Bob Haskins is to die for in this film, he plays such a great American detective and he didn't have much to work with. After all when he was talking to Roger, he wasn't really talking to anybody since it was a cartoon character. I love the way he develops his role so much, how he goes from this stick-to-the-book and all cartoons are bad to this lovable goofy guy due to Roger's insatiable love for life and cartoons. It's silly because it's a cartoon, but Roger and Bob clicked so well and are unforgettable.

Christopher Lloyd... shudder! This guy gave me so many nightmares as a kid from his character as the judge. The ending where he reveals his true form, he is just terrifying and effective. Jessica Rabbit is so cool and sexy for a cartoon. She's just too much fun for this movie and is wonderful as a cartoon. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way". My favorite scene is without a doubt when Eddie(played by Bob) is looking for Jessica and meets the crazy look-a-like in Toon Town. Just great and hilarious.

Come on, fans! This is a terrific movie and deserves to be on the top 250 films of all time! It's a break through for cinema history and movies in general. It's a great one! I'd highly recommend this for the family and friends or just a Saturday with nothing to do.

189 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.