Uninvited (Video 1988) Poster

(1988 Video)

Best Of The Worst
Lockjaw8012 July 2004
Uninvited must surely rank as one of the baddest movies ever made. And in the same time it's also one of the most entertaining Horror/ Or-whatever-you-wanna-call-it-movie. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong. it simply has everything. A small orange cat which has a monster inside, very bad special effects (Small toy boats, handpuppets, badly coloured blood to name a few. And then there's of course the bad acting, very ridiculous storyline and so forth. Still it's entertainment value is just over the edge. So all in all this movie mixed with a bad hangover, some beers and good friends, it's an unforgettable experience. 5 out of 6 stars..
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mutant Moggy Massacre!
Angelus-1625 August 2000
This film virtually evades falling into any type of horror genre you could think of: it's part sci-fi, part slasher, part comedy!!!

A fluffy house cat escapes from some random laboratory and is adopted by two bimbos who've been invited to cruise down to the Bahamas with mobster Alex Cord and take the cat with them for good luck. Said kitty has some kind of rat-bat thing living inside it that emerges when kitty gets pi***ed off and then shreds anyone who comes too close - including henchmen George Kennedy and Clu Gulager!

It's pretty funny stuff with a typical sequel-friendly ending (that was thankfully never taken up) and some really cheesy moments. Only for the voyeurs of crap cinema. I kinda liked it.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This cat coughs up more than just fur-balls.
BA_Harrison12 August 2017
A really contrived set of circumstances leaves a group of fun-seeking Fort Lauderdale spring breakers stranded at sea on a luxury yacht with some desperate criminals and a mutated killer cat for company.

Uninvited is, to be completely honest, a total mess of a movie, with a ridiculous set-up, an incredibly unconvincing monster, and moments of utter tedium. On the flip side, it frequently enters 'so bad, it's good' territory, features a pair of extremely hot '80s babes (Clare Carey and Shari Shattuck, who spend most of their time in skimpy bikinis), and chucks in some reasonable gore (including some nifty 'erupting veins' bladder effects), making it one not to miss for fans of Z-grade trashy schlock.

Try not to laugh whenever the moth-eaten moggie hand puppet barfs up a rubber parasitic mutant twice its size!! Marvel as buff beauty Bobbie (Carey) performs an unenthusiastic aerobics routine!! And wonder in incredulity at how Oscar winner George Kennedy wound up appearing in such tacky crud.

4.5 out of 10, generously rounded up to 5 for Clu Gulager's goofy teeth and bottle glasses, and that really bad sinking model yacht at the end.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest horror movie ever made about a killer mutant cat on board a yacht
Woodyanders15 April 2014
A deadly mutant cat escapes from a Florida research lab. The ferocious feline finds its way onto a luxurious yacht and proceeds to terrorize the motley assortment of passengers aboard said yacht. Boy, does this gloriously ludicrous honey possess all the right wrong stuff to qualify as a real four-star stinkeroonie: The ham-fisted (mis)direction by always dependable schlocko specialist Greydon Clark (who not only also wrote the supremely asinine script, but also makes a cameo appearance as an ill-fated doctor at the start of the flick), the laughable premise, the uproariously shoddy (far from) special effects (the cat is a pathetically obvious puppet that resembles a huge wet rat!), the cheesy gore, the tacky redundant synthesizer score, and the jaw-dropping "it ain't over yet!" sequel set-up non-ending all provide a wealth of unintentional belly laughs. The welcome presence of three down on their luck faded name thespians slumming for a quick paycheck further enhances the overall campy merriment: Alex Cord as smooth sleazeball high roller Walter Graham, George Kennedy as the grouchy Mike Harvey, and, in a positively sidesplitting turn, Clu Gulager as the pitiful Albert, who's a hopelessly wimpy and browbeaten psycho nerd complete with buck teeth and coke bottle glasses. As a tasty extra plus, sexy babes Shari Shattuck and Clare Carey both look smoking hot in revealing bikinis. "Assault on Precinct 13" star Austin Stoker pops up in a small part as a Caribbean officer. Only Nicholas von Sternberg's slick and fluid cinematography manages to effectively surmount the pervasive cruddiness. An absolute crummy hoot and a half!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pussy Power
shawnblackman24 October 2016
Scientists inject a cat with a mutant virus but don't hold it very well as the cat escapes the state of the art facility (it does look funny with several men in hazmat suits chasing a tabby cat). The cat now has a little mutated cat inside of it that pops out and chows down when its angry so you don't want to p... this pussy off.

George Kennedy is in this but there are a few scenes where he appears to want to be somewhere else. The effects are laughable as so are most of the props used. When they are showing the mutated cat going back into mama cat, I thought the theme for Toonces The Driving Cat was going to play. I still found it funny and entertaining.

If you are feline like a cheesy campy flick this is it. I'm still in a catatonic state.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Killer Cats Rule!
HardcoreKnight3 December 2002
All I can say is yes this film is very cheaply made,however,what do you expect when you rent a film about a killer cat with a rabid mutant in its mouth? Its made for kicks,though the only good acting was from the cat,and the rest of the cast was laughably bored.Though I admit I like this film,for the simple fact I love cats.(even though they are all horrible movies,I mean killer cats? Cujo worked and was convincing,but killer cats? Give me a break).It was a nice try and an original idea,though cheap effects and bad acting ruin the film.To bad they never made a sequel! I would have rented it!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
belongs buried in the liter box
movieman_kev27 November 2009
A group of scientists accidentally let a cute cuddly cat escape from their lab. What's so scary about a cute feline that one could possibly see on LOLcats?? Well this cat has a smaller badder mutant cat living inside it's mouth that comes out to kill people. (and sometimes grows to be the size of a biggish dog) Now don't you feel silly for asking. Anyways, after the dastardly pussy escapes we catch up with two gals dressed in the most atrocious '80's garb being invited to a mafioso's yacht party along with three other jackasses as well as cat whom shows up unexpectedly trapped in a box. Then the fun starts...

Well maybe 'fun' isn't the right word, the idea is somewhat original, but a Chinese film by the name of "Xiong mao" or translated as Evil Cat came out a year before this and is light years better then this one in every way, shape and form. This film has nothing going for it at all other then genre great George Kennedy in a supporting role (he's still under used). I suggest looking up the film "Evil Cat" and leaving this one in the litter box.

My Grade: D

DVD Extras: Only Trailers for "Tokyo!", "One Eyed Monster", "Just Buried" (this DVD pairs this film with "Night Shadows" here under its alternate title of "Mutant")
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, look what the cat dragged aboard!
Coventry14 May 2008
As far as unhinged, over-the-top, implausible and utterly farcical 80's horror movie plot formulas go, "Uninvited" most definitely takes the cake! The idea of a mutating cat barfing up a killer creature resembling a hybrid between a bat and a bowl of rotting placenta is already quite crackpot, but even more inconceivable is how literally everything in this film happens so impulsively and indifferent, like they are the most common events to occur in life! A cute and fluffy ginger pussycat with a monstrous mutant inside of its body escapes from a science lab (why would anyone do such an experiment in the first place?) and aimlessly wanders around a touristy beach community. Nearby a trio of ageing frauds prepare a clean getaway on their yacht, still one of them insists on picking up two young and empty-headed girls in bikini first. Supposedly to keep a low profile. Yeah … right! The girls then invite three random guys they *just* met on the pier and even bring the deadly putty-cat aboard. We're supposed to believe all this because … life is really that easy? Anyhow, subsequently nothing happens for quite a while until - thank God - the cat pukes out its monstrous insides and the characters die in order of annoyance. The rating and reviews don't lie: "Uninvited" truly is a horrible and hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) B-movie. The narrative structure is wildly uneven. Sometimes nothing happens for twenty minutes straight and then suddenly three or four people die in less than two minutes. The make-up effects are far beyond cheesy and inept, with 'scary' hand-puppets that wouldn't even upset a two-year-old child and supposedly virulent cat attacks that are actually rather tame. The dialogs and performances are so tacky you'll feel the desire to rip off your own ears and feed 'em to the cat. If you think you've endured everything then, just wait until you witness the finale, which is without exaggerating the most moronic ending I've ever seen in my life. "Uninvited" stars veteran horror actor George Kennedy ("Death Ship", "Virus", "The Terror Within") but – exactly like the character he depicts – he wonders what the hell he's doing in yet another lousy horror movie and once again surrounded by an ensemble cast of untalented nobodies. Poor, poor George… There definitely is some fun to be had with "Uninvited", but only if you leave your brains at the door and replace the inside of your skull with gallons and gallons of beer.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cat scratch fever!
udar5524 April 2013
Five college spring breakers (3 guys, 2 girls) end up in the lap of luxury as they get onto the boat of Wall Street sleaze ball Walter Graham (Alex Cord), who is heading to the Cayman Islands to illegally take out all of his money before the SEC busts him. Also along for the journey are Mike (George Kennedy) and Albert (Clu Gulager), Graham's muscle, and Rachel (Toni Hudson), the ship's owner being blackmailed by Graham. Oh, and there is also a genetically enhanced cat that spits out another mutated cat from its mouth (!) that one of the girls brought on board. I think this is the first "genetically enhanced monster escapes the lab" film I've seen where the entire chaos results from a lab assistant not closing a door. Yup, no fancy breakouts here, just a guy forgetting to close the door in the examination room and workers not quick enough to catch a cat. Director-writer Greydon Clark (who plays one of the dumb lab men) is going strictly by the numbers here, but this is fun for the most part. The biggest assets are the three veteran performers in their roles. Gulager sports some weird teeth and Kennedy is hilariously angry all the time ("I hate stupid young punks like you!"). Best of the bunch is Cord as the sleazy millionaire with a voice that would make country club managers shiver. Austin Stoker also shows up in one scene at the end.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it for laughs, not story-telling ingenuity!
millymanic29 May 2011
This is an impressively bad film about a mutant cat involved in research experiments that has escaped from its lab. Found and adored by Suzanne, it is taken on board a yacht along with a few other typically horny teenagers and the yachts owner who is a sleazy gangster. In fact the whole premise of how this mismatched bunch ends up on the yacht together is outside of the realms of comprehension, nevertheless this serves as the backdrop to the murderous happenings once on-board.

The scenes were the cat's mutant crawls out of its mouth are laughable as it cuts to close-ups of a cute-looking stuffed toy. The victims die a comic and often loud death, the actors clearly hoping that the louder they squeal, the more you'll ignore the awful acting. The scenes with the 'normal' cat walking round are very adorable and the director fails to make the audience feel any tension when it is in the room. After all, it's only a cat. This, coupled with the awful narrative and continuity errors make the film a true flop. The cat actually starts off being rather moral with its dishing out of revenge against a mugger and attacker and then for no reason whatsoever, abandons its moral compass to start killing indiscriminately. Watch this for laughs, not story-telling ingenuity.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mutant cat scares and gore
Leofwine_draca21 November 2016
UNINVITED is a gruesome straight-to-video horror film from director Greydon Clark, the guy whose long-running exploitation career includes the creepy alien film THE WARNING. This low-budget offering is set almost entirely on a yacht, in which an assorted group of passengers including the usual vacationing teenagers and some old-time gangsters find themselves assailed by a mutant cat which has just escaped from a local laboratory.

Sounds cheesy? It is, and then some. This film suffers from poor production values and a general lack of coherence, and some very dodgy acting particularly from the younger cast members really doesn't help. Still, you do get a bunch of old-timers in smaller roles, including George Kennedy, Austin Stoker, Clu Gulager, and Alex Cord. I guess their fees is where most of the budget ended up going.

This film follows the usual slasher template of having the unseen killer going around bumping off the group one by one until only a couple of people remain. The cat itself is a somewhat laughable creation - the special effects simply aren't up to the job of animating it in a convincing way - but the many gore effects are elaborate and wince-inducing, and rather brilliant. I read somewhere that this film was rated PG-13 in America, which is incredible because it's one of the most imaginatively gruesome films of the 1980s that I can remember watching. UNINVITED is no classic, but for lovers of cheesy '80s horror it's a real treat.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ummm.....What in the....?
newsilver219 July 2001
Ha! Well let me see here, this is one of the most oddest horror flicks I have ever seen in my life. It's about a mutant cat that goes around killing people. A monster that looks like a beaver on crack jumps out of the cat's mouth and bites people. Who in the h*ll thought of this? Who ever wrote this movie was on crack. To be honest whenever the creature pops out of the cat's mouth it looks like the cat is giving birth the wrong way. There's even a scene where a truck drives off a bridge and it turns in to a different truck. First before it falls off the bridge it's a Dodge, then when it goes off it's a Ford. What is this? My god what a waste of money. George Kennedy is in it and boy did he make a mistake. If you see this movie on the self at your local movie store, AVOID!!!!!!!! Trust me, unless you like movies with cat's that look like there giving birth the wrong way, avoid it!. I give this movie a 1 out of ten, just because George Kennedy was in it.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you love bad B-Movies, you love this!
atinder30 March 2013
A scientific corporation of ill repute loses control of its test subject-- a poisonous, mutant cat

This was one bizarre movie, I did liked how the flowed , there were some calm scenes and the cool bloody scenes in this movie.

There were some really ad scenes in this, i loved it cause some of scene were so bad that they were funny.

There were some decent gory scenes in this movie for the PG 13 in 80's and did like the idea of plot, some scenes were done right at time.

Really odd B-movie 4/5 out of 10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And people say my cat is evil...!
Vomitron_G23 July 2009
I have no idea what in the world encouraged me to re-watch UNINVITED... Well, yeah, I do know: I wanted to have a laugh and see if it really was as bad as I remembered it to be when I rented it back during the 90's. And, yes, it's as bad as they come. Terror at sea, when a group of gangsters and teenagers have to battle a mutant cat (yes, that's a common house-cat with a parasite inside of it) on a cruise ship. Very, very bad movie but George Kennedy dies a wonderful death! Poor George, what the hell was this guy doing with his career in the 80's? Wonderfully imbecilic dialogues, poor characters with puzzling motives and utterly scary creature effects (for those who find mutant cat hand-puppets scary). And UNINVITED has one of those typically retarded frozen shock endings. I have to admit, I didn't mind re-watching it. Not at all. To be filed under "So bad, it's a hoot!".
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hardly The Cat's Meow
EdYerkeRobins23 November 2000
Don't get me wrong, I love bad movies. My favorites are ones that are laughably bad. While this movie has a few of these bad/great moments, the time in between just drags on and on. Keep an eye out for the killer puppet (with hand attached), who is still a better actor than anyone else in the movie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Bad Puppet Show
JasonDanielBaker5 March 2014
As victim of horrific nuclear experiments a common house-cat mutates into a flesh-eating monster whilst maintaining its benign exterior form. It escapes into the wild - Fort Lauderdale, Florida during Spring Break. Having killed multiple people along the way it is discovered and adopted by flighty young airhead Suzanne (Shattuck) who is headed for a yacht excursion with her friends.

The yacht is owned by lecherous opportunist and Wall Street crook Walter Graham (Cord). His thug associates - drunken imbecile Albert (Gulager) and crude misanthrope Mike (Kennedy) are with him. As the authorities close in Graham elects to alter the course of the boat away from the coast and toward the Cayman Islands where he has stashed his ill-begotten assets. The college kids go along as crew.

While the kitty-cat gets into mischief a distracted Walter puts the moves on each of the younger women on board. The cat very efficiently sabotages the boat and preys on its passengers infecting them with his bites while eating them.

This howler of a low-budget direct-to-video turkey has some of the worst acting performances in history. By the final third of the film it becomes a highlight of appalling reaction shots and forced line delivery. Before that the audience is witness to the rampage of an obvious hand-puppet portraying the title monster.

The ponderous editing and other post-production miscues are enough in and of themselves to thoroughly embarrass some pretty gifted and respected actors in the cast (Kennedy, Cord, Gulager and Carey). Likely they also served to thoroughly embarrass some not so gifted or respected actors in the cast (Hudson, Estes and Shattuck).
Not that bad for it's time Warning: Spoilers
Well, I see many here gave this movie low ratings and reviews, however, I won't give that because I actually enjoyed this movie.

Yes, the effects are not that great, but look where technology has brought us today, if you look back on some of the old black and white movies, they'd be downright pathetic and horrible by todays standards.

I thought this movie was entertaining and I believe many have it wrong on the cats motives when provoked to release the internal mutant from within its bowels.

When the cat attacked those folks that it did, it was because of several variations, it sensed it was not liked or wanted by some of the first people to get killed, then as the movie went on, those that initially wanted it aboard, and insisted bringing it along, after it had killed others, now they were AFRAID of the very cat they opted and conned the captain to allow the cat passage, who DID NOT want it on board in the first place. So he had a dislike for the kitty, cat knew it, and he knew it, from what I recall he mistreated the cat, so he got what he deserved.

If the others had not started fearing the cat, but had instead rationalized why the cat had done what it did, they would have probably never been harmed, but then, there wouldn't be much killing going on, so they had to become terrified for their lives from the mutant killing cat.

I still own the original VHS copy and will be converting it to DVD for my "Horror/Sci-Fi" collection, as I also collect movies with not only cats, but other animals {wolves, dogs, bats, etc.} in them.

So yes, I gave this movie an excellent rating, and no I was not on drugs or alcohol either, don't believe in that stuff and never touch it, and I enjoyed this movie without the aid of any external influences.

I was actually very disappointed when the new Univited movie came out as I was actually hoping it would have been a more technologically advanced remake of this one, alas that was not so, so I never went to see it.

But as for this one, you have to look beyond the bad acting and low budget effects, you have to remember this was made before a lot of the fantastic technology we see, and have been very spoiled by in present day movies. And chances are as we see more and more advances, even these movies of today will end up with bad reviews eventually because they would be watched AFTER such technological advancement in special effects in our movie going experiences.

So my final comment is, if you like cat movies, if you like corny dialog, and you enjoy slasher movies, this one really isn't as bad as most make it out to be, but Freddy Krueger it isn't.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilariously bad mutated kitty.
HumanoidOfFlesh4 January 2010
"Uninvited" is a hilariously bad horror flick about a cute cat,who transforms into hideous mutant thirsty for human blood.Greydon's Clark killer cat is an obvious puppet.Either it's a mutated cat that has a small demon spawn living in its belly or the cat is able to turn itself inside out,morphing into a mangled creature with razor sharp teeth.A genetic laboratory looses control of a house-cat infected with a malignant genetically-engineered virus.As the death-toll rises during its savage rampage,the feline-abomination is brought aboard the ship of a criminal king-pin by two sexy co-eds."Uninvited" is a cheesy trash of the highest caliber with utterly laughable monster and solid acting of George Kennedy,Alex Cord and Clu Gulager.I had a fun time watching it and I gladly recommend this cinematic oddity to anyone interested in B-movies.6 out of 10.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mutant Killer Kitty on a yacht!
Stevieboy66621 July 2019
An escaped mutant killer cat runs amok on a luxury yacht owned by a sleazy Wall Street trader off the coast of Florida. Just watched this for the first time on VHS and it took me back to that decade - of excess, big hair, robotic dancing, naff tunes, bad fashion, etc. But most importantly we have real special effects, had this been made in the 21st Century no doubt we would have gotten crappy CGI instead. The budget obviously wasn't very big, some of the effects are cheap looking, but they are gory and plentiful, Uninvited certainly qualifies as a splatter movie. It's got good looking women in bikinis, sun, sea, gore, funny one-liners plus the great George Kennedy. Not to be taken seriously Uninvited is pretty silly, good fun.
Hi I need one Song for this movie
israel_fumeta18 June 2019
Could someone tell me where to download the one more try song that comes out in the uninvited movie 1988 please I love that song and I could not find it anywhere
Holy cats!
Hey_Sweden23 April 2019
A cat that's been turned into a hideous mutant freak escapes from a genetics lab. Soon, it's found its way onto the pleasure yacht of unscrupulous businessman Walter Graham (Alex Cord). Everything seems fine for a while, until the cat starts to make its aggressive, bloodthirsty nature evident.

Given the extreme cheesiness of this premise (concocted by writer / producer / director Greydon Clark), the film is not quite as awful - as in laughably entertaining - as one might think. To his credit, Clark actually takes the whole thing pretty seriously - and his cast does, too.

That extends to the star value that Clark was able to assemble for this schlock epic. Cord is amusing as a shameless sleaze who's always got his eyes on the prize at the end of the run. Cast as his henchmen are a nerdy, bumbling Clu Gulager (who's very funny) and a cranky, hard-driving George Kennedy.

The younger generation is represented by a very sexy bunch of gals and guys: Toni Hudson as the ships' unlikely captain, Eric Larson as the resident egghead (because, of course, some bright guy has to be present to be able to understand the nature of the threat), Clare Carey, Beau Dremann, Rob Estes, and Shari Shattuck. However, given their presence, some people may be disappointed that the movie doesn't feature more nudity than it does.

Where the movie truly will make its audience bust a gut laughing are in the "special" effects sequences, where the harmless looking tabby reveals its monstrous inner self. These moments are so hilarious that they do help to create a "so bad it's good" appeal for "Uninvited".

Overall, the movie is funny enough to make it okay viewing.

Austin Stoker ("Assault on Precinct 13" '76) has a cameo, as does director Clark, who plays one of the stupid scientists at the outset.

Six out of 10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The transfer was ok at least
wizzer6665 February 2019
So this is my first ever review

So many bad points The music,acting,fx ,story But the vinegar syndrome transfer was amazing The ending needs to be seen to be believed And yes it leaves it open for a sequel who shall never come i hope
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The killer cat movie that goes that extra mile!
Aaron137515 January 2019
I had heard about this film from a group on Facebook that posts strange movies like this one. I had never heard of this killer cat movie featuring stars George Kennedy and Clu Culager; granted, Clu puts on one of the goofiest performances of his career and he seems to be disguising himself too as he probably isn't proud of this one. My thinking is they were going for a Return of the Living Dead type thing mixing humor and horror with a sprinkling of old and up and coming stars or something, but it fails as it is not humorous and the horror is too tame as they went for a PG-13 rating. It also featured a rather insane premise.

The story has a kitty escaping a research facility, it harbors something sinister within! Meanwhile, some gangster type dudes are doing there thing and they need to get somewhere on their boat. Teens wanting to party want to go on the cool boat and the main mobster type wants the girls there, but he did not count on the girls, but he needs to get out fast so he uses the teens as his crew. The girls flirt with the guy and make it like they are interested, so we all know what the mob guy thinks; however, the kitty slips aboard too and soon reveals itself to be a killer! Well, they did show it killing earlier so no surprise there.

The premise of a killer kitty is kind of laughable, but this film takes it the extra mile as the cat is just a regular cat; no, the killer kitty is within the regular kitty and comes out and kills! It is poisonous too, so you have a cat that has another killer cat inside that can kill with its bite! Apparently, the makers of this film were on some drugs and this sounded really good in their heads.

So, the film is worth a watch if just for the insane premise and to riff on. Poor George does not look like he wants to be in this film and I cannot say I blame him. Clu hams it up, but probably had a bit more fun with the role. I did not care for any of the teens and was not exactly rooting for them or the mob guy. I was firmly in the cat's corner. So, if you want to see a film that has a cat that has a killer cat in it, this is your film! I am also pretty sure this is the only film that has that premise...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst film ever made - must have!
bojan.flaks28 March 2004
This is not merely one of the worst films ever made - it is entirely without merit. The monstrous cat is a joke by any standard, but is a better actor than the human cast. Not only are the plot, acting and special effects appallingly poor, but the total effect is one that induces a state of stupefied boredom. It is easy to criticise films as being obviously low-budget, but in this case it is justified. I suspect few people have actually seen this film, otherwise it would have made it to all the lists of "worst films". It deserves to be transferred to DVD (preferably as a grainy, straight from VHS transfer) - I had a copy on VHS, alas no more - I gave it to a collector of bad films, in whose collection it plumbed new depths.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bad killer Cat monster film.
poolandrews29 April 2011
Uninvited starts in some genetics research laboratory where two scientists (including writer, producer & director Greydon Clark) are about to cut open a failed experiment when it escapes, although the experiment looks like an ordinary Cat something nasty lurks within it that can burst out at any moment & viciously shred it's it's victims to death... Bobbie (Clare Carey) & Suzanne (Shari Shattuck) are both friends who meet up with millionaire businessman Walter Graham (Alex Cord) who invites them to a party on his yacht, Bobbie & Suzanne decide to go & take along three male friends & a stray cute looking Cat they find. Needing to get to the Cayman islands & his bank in order to draw out millions of dollars before the SEC puts him in prison & freezes his assets Graham says the kids can come if they help out on the yacht which they agree to. During the voyage the Cat turns killer on numerous occasions while they hopelessly drift miles off course, stuck out at sea with a killer mutant Cat things look bad...

Written, produced & directed by Greydon Clark this straight to video killer Cat creature feature is considered a solid gold classic amongst most bad film lovers, while I can see a certain attraction & entertainment value I wouldn't say Uninvited was particularly good in any way even for unintentional laughs. The script isn't great, for some strange reason Clark decided to have a fluffy docile Cat as the evil creature in his film rather than a vicious Dog for example. OK, sure this other mutant Cat creature emerges every so often but even that is nothing more than a fluffy hand puppet with sharp teeth. There's no great explanation behind this creature, why or how it was created is a mystery while the yacht setting is rather bland & one would have though it wouldn't have been too difficult to find a Cat aboard a fairly small yacht & defend oneself from it. There's some choice dialogue here, the character's are all a bit too annoying with the all American teens particularly while the old acting pros manage to give their character's a bit of life. At only 86 minutes at least it's fairly short, it moves along at a decent pace & is watchable in a bad sort of way but I could see many simply being bored & underwhelmed with it. The ending too is absurd with the killer Cat holding onto a floating briefcase in order to stop drowning! Still much better than most of the crappy creature features that the Sy-Fy Channel make & show though.

The special effects are predictably anything but special, the Cat creature that comes out of the normal Cat's mouth seems even bigger than a normal Cat so quite how it can come out & go back inside again is a mystery. The sinking boat at the end is obviously a model although there are a few decent gory moments like bubbling skin, bubbling & exploding throat wounds, bitten ankles, burn faces, blood splatter & bitten off fingers. Although everyone is supposed to be hot & enjoying themselves there's obviously a bit of a breeze & it looks quite windy at times which destroys the Caribbean cruise feel. Ffairly ineptly made with the scientist leaving the door open of a top secret research laboratory just so the cat can escape or the scene when the truck crashes & changes make & model as well as the baffling sound effect of nothing but breaking glass as it rolls over & over down the hill.

Filmed in Los Angeles & Florida this probably had a very low budget hence the hand puppet monster & the single yacht setting. The acting is bad, there's a pretty good cast of character actor's here including Alex Cord, George Kennedy & Clu Gulager complete with comedy false teeth who are all fun to watch slumming it at the wrong end of their careers.

Uninvited is an amusing creature feature of little competence & while it has a few fun moments & a good cast of veterans it's still not very good. Not to be confused with the recent Hollywood supernatural horror flick The Uninvited (2009).
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.