She's Having a Baby (1988) Poster

A Classic of the Era
duanem18 June 2005
I actually saw this film in the theaters (one of a handful of people in the world, I believe). Most people weren't prepared for John Hughes to break into more grown-up fare after his successful films about teens (Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink, etc.), and this film's failure (along with the failure of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles) forced Hughes into making commercially successful but artistically bankrupt crap like Home Alone.

Although I was in college when the film came out, I instantly fell in love with the story of this fictionalized version of Hughes own early married life. Kevin Bacon did some of his best work in this film, and Elizabeth McGovern is simply radiant as the "she" of the title. Alec Balwdin is thin and disgusting as the "best friend" who has an unrequited lust for his pal's wife.

Filled with surreal moments (which are par for the course today, in shows like Scrubs) where Bacon's character imagines his response (or the response of others) to various situations, several stand out. The wonderful suburban lawnmower scene, the moment when he imagines his in-laws giving sex advice ("Get your butt a little higher, Jake!"), etc.

As a young father, I have felt everything Jake felt as they ventured into parenthood. Fear, wonder, and a weird sense of losing your wife's body to something you don't quite understand. And as funny as the film is, it is also quite poignant at moments and full of heart.

The use of classic late 80's bands (a Hughes specialty) is excellent and quite extensive. Gene Loves Jezebel, Love and Rockets, XTX, Bryan Ferry, Everything But the Girl, and Kate Bush (whose song is used most effectively to tug at heart strings) are all used to highlight, comment on, and bring the story to life.

Highly recommended and easily Hughes' most heartfelt film.
49 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saved by the ending
cwhitfield8 January 2008
Let's face it. it's not the most original premise of a young guy marrying young who goes through an early life crises. Yet the film reaches a sweetness that never turns into sickly. Whilst I think the screenplay could've been tighter and the script is not nearly up to the usual John Hughes banter; the picture is adequate due to the oh so natural performances of Kevin Bacon and the neglected Alec Baldwin. But it is not these two that saves this picture. What saves this picture is the final montage to the backing of Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" which intertwined with Bacon's brilliant expression of emotion makes your heart skip a beat. I have never been in love nor had a baby but that scene hit me like a tonne of bricks and the film becomes watchable if only for that.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charismatic Stars and Imaginative Ideas meld effortlessly...
Isaac585530 November 2005
SHE'S HAVING A BABY was an imaginative and charming 1988 comedy that follows a young couple from courtship through parenthood via some amusing vignettes and clever fantasy sequences that effectively break the fourth wall and constantly remind us that we are watching a movie, but this idea is set up from the beginning through the narration and internal fantasies of lead character Jefferson "Jake" Briggs (Kevin Bacon, in his most appealing post-FOOTLOOSE role). Becon's chemistry with the lovely Elizbath McGovern (whatever happened to her?) is undeniable and early into the film you really find yourself rooting for this couple. Alec Baldwin had one of his best early roles here as Jake's slightly slimy college buddy. There a lot of very funny and imaginative scenes in the film, which are mostly a product of Jake's mind, which I found kind of novel for a John Hughes film...love the production number with the lawn mowers and Jake's in-laws coaching him on what to do during sex, not to mention's Jake's internal re-writing of his wedding vows. Both Holland Taylor and the late Cathryn Damon score as Jake and Christy's moms and William Windom is amusing as Christy's dad, who cuts Jake no slack whatsoever. I think I liked this movie better than the average viewer...maybe because I really like Kevin Bacon and he's practically in every scene, but I think even for non-Bacon fans, there are smiles, chuckles, and warm fuzzy feelings to be found by taking in the story of Jake and Kristy Briggs.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's Having An Early Mid-Life Crisis
Smile_U_SOB14 July 2007
...Would be a more fitting title for this movie. And I really liked the movie. It just wasn't about a baby, and it wasn't about his wife. She's a secondary character, if that. It's all about Kevin Bacon's character who is a ad-man who wants to be a professional writer, but his wife, and the beautiful home in the suburbs and all its dreary perfection, is bringing him down. As are his in-laws, his player best buddy (Alec Baldwin in his thin days), and a dream-girl who seemingly wants to seduce him. This film is really about the struggle and the temptation of a guy who has everything, but doesn't know if he wants it. There are some incredible, creative scenes. One showing how his office literally closing in on him; another showing a picture of his father-in-law smiling as he's looking at it; then he says something to the picture (as if speaking to it) and the picture has changed to where the father-in-law has a shocked expression. There's one homage to "Psycho" where the wife throws "the pill" down the drain; you get a shot of the water going down the drain which then slowly dissolves to her eye. And there's a musical sequence with suburbanites mowing their lawns whilst dancing and singing that is hilarious when taken in its context; but if you were to see this sequence out of context, you'd think it's gonna be a horrible film. Anyhow, this movie is all about the husband. They show the wife having the baby at the very end, and things get complicated and that's when he realizes how much he loves her... brooding in the waiting room like the character from Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms". But you really don't feel that he ever really loved her in the first place. That's the only fault I can give this film. The rest of it is creative and totally entertaining.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute gem of a film.
moveefrk30 July 2002
I would go on record to say that John Hughes' "She's Having A Baby" is by far the best film he's ever done -- and this from the man responsible for those giddy teen comedies from the '80's (i.e. BREAKFAST CLUB, SIXTEEN CANDLES, FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF).

It's ironic that his best work would be about grownups, or in this case, growing up. Jake and Kristi (played superbly by Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern), are indeed, your average married couple going through the same problems most married people do, and most kids their age would be sidestepping. But Hughes adds more dimension and more insight, and in spite of the laughs (which there are, by the way) and even some silly sequences,he still wrings out an air of truth.

Sadly, this film flopped at the B.O. in it's initial release back in 1988, but then why carp about performance. "SHAB" is a quiet gem of a film to be appreciated by the few that appreciate good filmmaking.

Grade: A-
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird little charmer of a movie
xyzzzzzzz31 May 2014
On the upside, I love this movie (enough that I just watched it for about the 7th time), firstly and mostly, because of Elizabeth McGovern's very charming portrayal of very charming Kristy Briggs. Secondly, because of the cute and sweet relationship between Kristy and Jake. Thirdly because of the chuckles I get from watching the credits at the end of the movie -- which I believe is the first and only time I've actually chuckled from watching movie credits! On the downside, there are some really odd elements to the direction that I really don't enjoy at all, but rather suffer through and barely tolerate. I just think Jake's fantasies and/or hallucinations could've been directed better. And I cannot stand Alec Baldwin's character (Jake's best friend), or his girlfriend's either. UGH! But all in all, this movie entertains me, brings crocodile tears to my eyes in several places, makes me smile in many others, and makes me root like crazy for Kristy's & Jake's relationship to make it!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Appreciate the Subject Matter
claytonchurch115 February 2014
If you got married and had at least one kid, you'll appreciate this movie a lot.

Negatives:

1. There's nothing to brag about in the acting, though Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern do a nice job. 2. The script is just okay, and holds back what could have been a much better film.

Positives:

1. There are so few movies that focus on marriage, getting married, having a baby, living with your kids, or even a gut-wrenching divorce. I appreciate when a filmmaker takes on these subjects, which touch a lot of the population, but rarely are addressed in film. They are powerful subjects to which many, many people relate. However, the lion's share of films deal with meeting somebody and getting together--at most going to a proposal--but they don't deal with anything that follows that. This movie covers what follows, and anyone who has been through it can relate to the various issues through which you go in a normal relationship like this. 2. The labor and delivery segment of the film was pretty well done, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Recommendation:

Watch this movie, since there are so few movies that deal with the subject matter.

The movie "Marley and Me" (Owen Wilson & Jennifer Aniston) actually deals with all these things much better, with better acting and a better script. I know, that's a dog movie, but it's really not – it's really a movie about getting married, beginning careers, living as a married couple, and having kids. Other good movies in this category are "The War of the Roses" (Michael Douglas & Kathleen Turner), "Price Check" (Eric Mabius & Parker Posey), Regarding Henry" (Harrison Ford & Annette Benning), and "The Story of Us" (Bruce Willis & Michelle Pfeiffer).
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hughes series continues...
Pookyiscute10 February 2004
So, I guess if I were at gunpoint, I would choose this as being my second favorite film in the Hughes lineup. He has made so many good movies, it's hard to pick just one as your favorite, but this is definitely a close second to The Breakfast Club.

Kevin Bacon plays a writer just out of college trying to support his newly wedded wife, while at the same time working for some sort of ad agency, and trying to write his first book. Throughout the movie, it's him narrarating his life from the start of his wedding until the end of the movie...

His wife, however, decides that she's ready for a baby. He on the other hand, does not really get as excited about the idea as she does.

The entire movie is set up from his point of view, and he sees the world through his eyes, and a lot of 'what ifs' start to boggle his mind. His confusion and dry humor make it a great classic, and a great watch for anyone. A fun piece of movie trivia...in the movie 'Trains, Planes, and Automobiles' Steve Martin's wife in the movie, lays awake late one night watching a movie on T.V. If you listen closely to what they're saying, it's a scene from 'She's Having a Baby'. The scene when Kevin Bacon and his on screen wife are having a fight. A fun little movie fact for you.

I hope you'll see it if you haven't. And if you already did, you're smart. And if you saw it and didn't like it, well, then....there we are.

I give this movie, a 10 out of 10. A great movie, to be seen by all!

And that's the end of my review.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and enjoyable. Bacon is a blast here.
ipswich-230 May 2000
It's difficult not to like this John Hughes movie which explores the relationship between Jefferson Briggs (Bacon) and Kristy (McGovern) from their wedding day till their baby's birth. The movie centers around how Bacon matures to become a responsible family man. The movie is portrayed through the eyes of new graduate Briggs and the audience moves along with his fears, plight and fortunes. Although not entirely original, there are moments throughout that you will empathize and laugh along with, mainly because we all went through this before. This is one of Hughes' definitive films from the 1980s and the music accompanying the movie is great, from Gene Loves Jezebel to Everything But The Girl and Kate Bush. Bacon is hilarious and McGovern gives an understated but effective performance as the wife determined to have a baby. Alec Baldwin is brilliant as Davis McDonald, the devilish best friend of Bacon who tries to dissuade him out of marriage. There are genuinely funny moments that pepper this movie throughout and makes it really delightful. There are the "high-brow" critics who slag this movie off. Don't be influenced by their views. This is an endearing and enjoyable movie.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated John Hughes comedy; fine chemistry between Bacon & McGovern
george.schmidt22 April 2003
SHE'S HAVING A BABY (1988) *** Kevin Bacon, Elizabeth Mc Govern, Alec Baldwin, William Windom, Cathryn Damon, John Ashton, Edie McClurg, Dennis Dugan. Frequently accurate domestic comedy about newlyweds Bacon and McGovern who finally decide to procreate amidst the usual barriers including family and money. Smart script and direction by John Hughes with a sharp turn of events by the film's climax with an effectively dramatic birth sequence; I got misty eyed for Bacon and the plight of his newborn accentuated by the song "This Woman's Work" by Kate Bush. Wait for the credits with some celebrities coming up with names for the baby.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
romantic comedy
kdohio15 March 2006
I love this movie. One of my all time favorites! This movie is realistic and very moving. It portrays a married couple that goes through a lot of changes and moments through a married life together. And in the mean time its a romantic comedy with a touch of drama that everybody can relate to in one way or another in their married life and starting a family. The movie is cute, funny, and very touching. I would recommend it to anyone! There is hardly any harsh language or nudity in it. All the actors and actresses that played in this movie were very good. If you like this movie I would recommend "Nine Months", "The Family Man", "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Married life from a man's perspective.
vertigo_1412 May 2004
She's Having a Baby is very much like Kevin Bacon's later film, 'He Said, She Said,' in which moments of a story are articulated from the perspective of each gender. But while 'He Said, She Said,' provided humorous views of love and life from both the shovinist male and the over-confident female, 'She's Having a Baby' provides only the perspective of one person: a very nervous and doubting husband. It is interesting to me, at least, as there are few movies which dedicate the entire experience of married life solely to the male perspective, and I suppose that John Hughes, the film's writer and director, is telling the story from his own personal experiences, fears, expectations, and other approaches to his life as a husband and father.

I have always like John Hughes work, and despite some of the sexism and cliches that the story deals with, it is an entertaining film about newlyweds unsure about whether getting married was a good idea, but discovering in the end, that despite the obstacles ahead of them, they actually find that married life (and soon, parenthood), can actually quite a wonderful thing.

Jake Briggs (Bacon) marries his high school sweetheart, Kristi (McGovern), his love at first sight. The movie introduces us to Jake who is preparing himself (and simultaneoulsy doubting himself) to walk down the isle and declare himself a married man. But for Jake, somehow saying I do, was the point of no return, and his relationship to Kristi (and his perception of her) drastically changes once they officially carry on together as a married couple. Jake finds disatisfaction with his work as an advertising agent (aspiring instead to be a writer, but always being told that it just wasn't going to happen), with the drone life in the suburbs (a typical John Hughes theme), and even gets tempted with indescretions as he meets a woman at a bar who tests his faithfulness to Kristi.

For Jake, it seems like the single life had a lot more to offer in both independce as well as his love for Kristi, even to the point that he tries to convince his bachelor friend, Davis (played by that hubba, hubba actor, Alec Baldwin), that he need not be unmarried to enjoy himself. In fact, things start to change for Jake, as he starts to grow accustomed to marriage and finds that the situation isn't as bad as he imagined. When his wife Kristi becomes pregnant and there are complications during the pregnancy, Jake is forced to consider whether he would give it all up. And in that time, he realizes, that he actually doesn't hate it at all. That there are things there that he can adjust (by way of work, we see later that he does take it upon himself to do some writing), and with his relationship to his wife, and hell, even the in-laws. It's hard to say, but folks who are married and who have gone through that 'moment of truth' at some point in their relationship (if at all), must know how that feels. And from the look on Jake's face, it must feel pretty good to realize how lucky a person can be to share that with somebody else.

There are some problems with the characters, such as Kristi always been made out as this bossy, detached spouse of Jake's. One viewer wrote that she was often depicted as selfish, and while I agree that it is an unfair assessment of Kristi (who could not have been this way all the time--you have to watch the movie to see), it was also meant to be portrayed from the husbands point of viewed. Therefore, we get the subjective view of the husband, and not the objective view of what we may consider Kristi to be (because nearly the whole movie is told from Jefferson's viewpoint).

The story is also stereotypical in some of it's assertions about marriage and work and the like. But I think that the movie still offers some good humor, and is certainly one for John Hughe's fans to see, before he gave up writing and directing teen movies--the 80s films prior to She's Having a Baby, and went on to make children and family films--mostly all of his films made after 1989. And fans of Kevin Bacon are sure to enjoy the movie as well. It's not fantastic, and I'll admit, I never got through watching it the first time. But I gave it a few years and tried again, and though it isn't a great movie, it is one that I would recommend trying out.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A jarring film that has its moments
toddnewton-6458810 November 2018
It's not a terrible movie but it has significant problems. Firstly, the interjected flashback scenes and the caricature scenes distract from the film's central message which is presented in a jarring way. Upon viewing this film for the first time, I found it challenging to follow the plot. I understand this film closely related to John Hughes' life and that he wanted to present it in an artistic way but there were more misses than hits in its execution.

But there are some scenes that are well done. I like the club scene and the music used as well as its artistic presentation when it shows back-and-forth (lone) images of Jake and the mystery woman who is trying to lure him to cheat. I also like the wedding scene as well as the scene where Jake and Kristy are sitting with Davis (Alec Baldwin) who has visited Chicago with his mistress and they're sitting in the Briggs house.

I'm a big John Hughes fan and enjoy most of his films that he has directed and produced (and wrote) but this isn't his best work. Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern deliver good acting performances but they don't have a high level of chemistry between them and that also holds the film back.

I liked the concept and saw what Hughes was trying to achieve but it didn't quite connect for me with this film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet, sometimes sad, often charming
Barry Kruse12 March 2001
If you haven't seen this lovely little film yet, and you are due to be a young family man, I recommend it. Watch it with you significant other, and dare to try and not shed a tear, both laughing and really crying. If you're an 80's music fan, there's simply another great reason to love this film. Plus, Hughes uses fantasy outakes in a way few people had done prior to Ally Macbeal. It renders what could have been a generally typical, boring "chick-flic" a decently entertaining picture.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Piece From the John Hughes Catalog
nerethel120021 July 2013
Such a great movie! I was arguing with myself for the longest time, avoiding this one, thinking it may not contain elements of what I commonly associate John Hughes movies to be....a certain formula if you will. I was not displeased in the least with this movie. It had all the emotional elements a movie should have and what a great directorial project. I always enjoyed Hughes and his certain direction points and trademarks. I thought he did a great job.

Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern shine true as a newly wed couple, struggling in the beginning years and also experiencing different effects of their marriage. In some places, I found myself completely relating and laughing out loud. The ending held me on pins and needles and with that conclusion, I felt this movie had everything it should offer. Much Recommended and you can't say you've experienced a great John Hughes movie, until you see this one.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful, yet unfortunately misunderstood.
juiceman107122 March 2010
I feel like the point of the film, the morals learned and the entire narrative structure is lost on most.

The film is the REtelling of a man (Kevin Bacon) and his immaturity to his marriage and refusal to grow up. The weird dream sequences show this visually and since it's being told to us, these represent exactly what he felt at the time. We never see his happy moments that are only revealed in the finale because at the time, he didn't notice them so we are denied them to be put in his shoes. It can be confusing the first time you watch it may feel kind of disjointed but it makes sense in the end.

Because the film was created this way, the montage in the final moments is heart wrenching as we see Bacon go trough his transformation and realization.

This was Hughes' attempt to break out of his brat pack films into serious drama and while I wouldn't say it's award worthy, it's easily one of his best films and most certainly his most underrated.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated Hughes Film Which Needs Another Chance
domino100312 August 2006
The title says it all: "She's Having a Baby." But there's more to the story than the title says.

As the film opens, we meet Jake Briggs (Kevin Bacon, who also narrates)on the verge of marrying Kristen (Elizabeth McGovern),with his best man/friend Davis (Alec Baldwin)at his side. Jake and Kristen are childhood sweethearts, but Jake is a bit frightened and confused as to the steps he's about to take. He knows that once he steps into the house of marriage, he has to grow up.

Once married, Jake (Who wants to be a writer)takes a job that he feels will crush him and has to deal with the constant butting in of his father-in-law Russ (William Windom). Kristen is being as supportive as she can (And just a tad bit whiny), but Jake is becoming more and more frightened of his role as husband. His friend Davis raises doubts about being married, his mind fantasizes about events in his life (Like the neighborhood doing a musical number with lawnmowers)and about a mystery girl that he met in his dreams, who actually does exist.

Things then start to turn when his wife tells him that she stopped taking the pill some time ago (Causing him to fantasize about being creamed into a wall at full speed). But it's at the moment when she tells him that she's pregnant that he really grows up. As he sits in the waiting room in tears (there are complications during delivery),reflecting on the good times between them (And Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" playing in the background), we finally see Jake become an adult:wanting his wife and child to be o.k. and seeing the emotions within him.

A box office failure when it was first released, "She's Having A Baby" should be given another chance. Bacon and McGovern's performances work well together. Even Alec Baldwin (In his incredibly sexy days)does a good job as the incredibly selfish friend who tells Jake to go have fun while making passes at his wife.

Give it a look.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woods expensive, words are cheap......
FlashCallahan17 February 2015
Jake and Kristy Briggs are newlyweds, but as they are still young, they are perhaps a bit unprepared for the full reality of marriage and all that it expects of them.

Things certainly aren't helped by Jake's friend Davis, who always seems to turn up just in time to put a spanner in the works.

And then there's the predictability of the title, just as things were becoming mundane for the couple.

John Hughes has hardly ever took a step wrong, and for some, he defined the teen movie in the eighties forever. But my gosh, this is a pig of a film.

Once again, screenwriters in Hollywood think that everyone is wealthy, or at least has at least wealthy parents, and here it's blatantly in your face, and the films biggest flaw? There is not one likable character in the entire film.

Bacon is just a selfish little man who would rather chase his dream than become a family man, and when he finally succumbs to the latter, he resents his wife for the. Majority of the film.

Baldwin pops up every now and again with an insufferable girlfriend to show Bacon what life would be like if he wasn't married.

McGovern doesn't fare any better though. I don't know why, but it seems that the writers have just made her a one dimensional maundering waste of space, so with whom are we supposed to give our empathy too?

As always with films like this, there is a moment in the film where McGovern is at risk, so we have a moment with Bacon crying and reminiscing about the good times. And what good times are they? Decorating and getting locked out in the rain. Oh the joys of love.

Whether its a marriage warning to teens, or Hughes exposing to the masses just how abhorrent yuppies were, it sure is one thing.

Cinematic contraception.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly delightful experience
dougandwin11 January 2012
Seeing this movie again after several years, really showed me what a lovely uncomplicated experience it was. Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern were perfect choices for the roles of new Husband and Wife, not helped at all by the treacherous Alec Baldwin. The story was interesting all the way through to the very end, and we had fun, pathos and love all wrapped into 90 minutes or so, but I felt Kevin Bacon carried the film, and showed even in those early days of his career the great potential that eventually became real in his "Mystic River" performance, as well as others like "The River Wild", etc. I cannot understand why it did not do much better at the Box Office.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hughes says goodbye to teen films.
jane-4224 May 2001
In a not totally successful attempt to be taken seriously, and move into 'adult' films, Mr. Hughes gives us this film about a young married couple. True, it's got every cliche in the book in it, silly fantasy stuff and all that, but more importantly- it's got Elizabeth McGovern.

Clearly the best actress to have ever appeared in a John Hughes film, she lends a weight to it that elevates the sometimes silly material. Kevin Bacon (and his hair) is pretty good as her husband, but McGovern steals the movie with her quiet true moments of honesty. The 'teen film' fun that worked so well in other Hughes films falls flat here- like a favorite uncle whose jokes made you laugh when you were 9, but keeps telling them when you are 15 and you wish he'd find some new material. But I keep going back to McGoverns performance, because it's truly moving. Mr. Hughes most interesting films to me have real actors in them (Some Kind of Wonderful, Breakfast Club) and when his material bumps up against a true talent, some wonderful things can happen. If only he'd trust that it doesn't have to be tarted up with the silly fantasy stuff.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hughes a little too flippant
gcd7026 August 2008
This is definitely not John Hughes' genre. In his attempt to tackle this weighty subject, he has created a flippant, misfired show about life-time commitments. Hughes just can't stay serious about serious. There is not enough humour in here to make this a successful comedy, and the poignancy at crucial points is missing (so much potential in this area). Too many scenes shoot wide of the mark.

Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern are both likable and they make a cute couple, but the former has gone on to stronger roles and the latter; whatever did happen to Elizabeth McGovern?

Chicago is of course the setting, and Hughes employs the usual pop soundtrack (from former "Police" guitarist Stewart Copeland).

PS Stay tuned for the end credits when a crowd of Hughes' friends drop by.

Monday, January 26, 1998 - Video
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Illogical and cliche
marco-11121 October 2000
Warning, spoilers ahead (even if I doubt that anybody hasn't seen this yet)

The movie starts off rather well, but about halfway through it falls apart and becomes a corny, sugary sweet, predictable and unrealistic 'harmony romance' mess. I mean, it's very obvious that there are serious problems in the main characters' marriage, but these problems are never solved but just forgotten.

Basically, as soon as she decides to have a baby behind his back (without even asking) all of their problems magically disappear without a trace or an explanation. Given what had happened up until that moment it would have been far more logical if the marriage fell apart rather than becoming the trite and cliche' 'having a baby will change everything' ending.

The two main characters' families and neighbours are also extremely one-dimensional, and don't seem to serve really any purpose if not to irritate the viewer, and they also mysteriously disappear from the movie as soon as the 'harmony moments' start.

I am sorry to be ripping this movie, but given the start I would have expected something more. 4/10 for me.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kristy Briggs & Jack Briggs a happily married couple with their education & career.
blanchard-adrian23 May 2020
My Review of this film called, She's Having A Baby. To explain this life story in simpliest terms regarding the marriage of Kristy Briggs and her loving husband Jack Briggs. He dated her while in school earning credit towards graduation known as high school sweet hearts. He proposed and gave her a engaged- ment ring and she said yes to Jack Briggs marriage proposal. He took his newlywed wife Kristy Briggs to New Mexico as a Honeymoon gift. This results in married life & family expectations. Jack Briggs both husband & father started gaining a Masters Degree and was hired as an advertising copywriter. Kristy Briggs is hired as a research analyst. Her family with her supportive husband continued to grow after she stopped her birth control pills to have a planned pregnancy with her lover & Husband Jack Briggs.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet, and Im sure its accurate from a mans perspective??
motherbug20018 January 2020
I love this movie....i think its underrated...i like that its from his perspective bcuz i think men are just like this...going through everyday, not sure, waiting for those moments that confirm all that is right in the world. Sweet story, too nad for all the inappropriate language
Funny, and Relevant to Many Would-Be Fathers
alliedcompleterepair21 December 2018
"She's Having a Baby" is one of those special movies that many can identify with, but didn't originally do well in theaters. It was directed by the famed John Hughes who made many successful movies during this time period. John's movies were special because they addressed themes that many viewers experienced in their owns lives, and therefor could appreciate the film. Themes, like the girl who secretly loves her friend but he's in love with a prettier girl (Some kind of Wonderful), or the life of the popular boy who decides to skip school (Ferris Buellers Day Off). Similarly, this movie deals with the theme of the young man who's trying to find satisfaction in married life, while watching his friend enjoy his commitment free life. I can say many men, myself included, struggle with these experiences. After leaving their parents home many men experience freedom and the care free lifestyle. For a few years the life of partying with friends and meeting new lovers is common and age appropriate. However, inevitably men must grow up and become responsible. This transition often involves marriage, careers and children. However, some men never grow up and party on well into there 30's and 40's. Kevin Bacon's character in this movie chose to go down the path of marriage while his friend chose the latter. Each went down their own road and Kevin's character often compared his life to that of his friends and started to doubt whether or not he made the right choice. Again these are all things men in real life experience and that's why I'm glad this movie was made. By the end of this movie the lesson was that happiness is most often is found through family and strong friendships. I can thank John Hughes for this lesson that I learned from this movie. Without it I might have had to learn this lesson the hard way by going down the wrong road first. RIP John :)