Return of the Killer Tomatoes! (1988) Poster

Made me laugh so much I had a side stitch
DarthBill22 April 2004
Picking up a couple of years after the original, tomatoes are now banned - which has ruined the pizza industry - and the unseen mad scientist who chalked up those giant killer tomatoes in the first film, Dr. Gangreen (John Astin) is up to his old tricks again, only this time he's using music to make tomatoes into people, and depending on the type of music being played, that determines who/what the tomato becomes. Playing sexy jazz music produces sexy blond tomato women, playing Salsa music produces Carmen Miranda, playing Church music produces the Pope, playing pop produces either a pre-white Michael Jackson look-a-like or a Don Johnson look-a-like, or if you play rock music, you get big, burly military tomato men.

As Charlton Heston's character from "Soylent Green" would say: "The killer tomatoes are PEOPLE!"

Our hero, Chad Finletter(Anthony B. Starke) falls for the attractive one time tomato Tara (Karen Mistal). Unfortunately, Tara can be changed back into a tomato whenever she hears a certain musical chord.

Full of gags (like the aforementioned multiple musical interpretations of a tomato) that include a prison dividing its cells between "Really bad guys" and "former political aids", the mime stalking Chad & Tara during their musical montage dating sequence, pot shots at how films have to feature tons of marketing in order to have a budget to get made, pot shots at bad movie marathon hosts and game shows, and let's not forget MY personal favorite, the talking teddy bear that calls out for help when Rock Peace tries to smother it. Film also features a more coherent "plot" (as it were) and served as the blue print for the animated series that later aired on Fox Kids.

Keep an eye out for it. George Clooney makes his film debut as Chad's friend and pizza co-worker Matt.
25 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, but where's the tomatoes?
ashspicefilms20 July 2000
Being a huge b-movie fan, I had to see this movie. It is VERY funny and entertaining and still a b-movie even with a larger budget, but the only footage of tomatoes moving and attacking people (the best part of the original) is taken from the original "attack" film. Here instead we got tomatoes that look exactly like people. But when you buy an "attack of the killer tomatoes" movie that shows a giant killer tomato attacking on the cover, you expect to see a giant killer tomato attacking in the movie! John Astin as Gangreen was funny, but I like the original movie's reason for tomato attacks. In the original, man altered tomatoes to make them better but accidently gave them the ability to grow and attack people.

In this movie that is all ignored and now the killer tomatoes were made by a evil professor in his basement.

I think the original plot AND movie are much better, but this films is still very funny in it's own way. And I am surprised it got away with many of the raunchy jokes while staying PG.

Recommended if you want to laugh.
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funnier than it has any right to be..
snesgirl10 October 2003
I had fond memories of the cartoon, but realised that I'd never actually seen the movie.

This is a perfecly silly, intentionally cheesy, 80's classic. The premis is so silly and everyone involved (especially Clooney) is so obviously just having FUN making it that the humour is just utterly infections.

The knowing looks at the camera. The exaggerated dramatics. The tomoato transformation effects. FT!!!!

I LOVE this movie and heartily recommend it as a classic "B" movie.

You cannot beat this film for a silly giggle. All those po faced people who claim its not amusing need a humour transplant.

all together now.. (sings) "When Big breastd giiiiiiirllllllllS, go down to tthe beach....!"
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly excellent comedic spoof.
iainsmith29 September 2001
If you expect a serious movie you'll be massively disappointed. If, however you're expecting a comedic spoof that doesn't take itself (or it's prequel) seriously then you're in for a wild ride. It's almost worth watching just so you can admire George Clooney's 80's mullet. There's little plot, but instead there is a series of imaginative scenes which can really make you laugh (so long as you don't try and take the movie seriously). Heartily recommended.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of my best b-movie ever seen
eigil70718 June 2001
ok, this is a b-movie, and there is best to see, but this one has something peculiar, between a monty python's "stupidity", and the american way of filming...

you know that's gonna be plotless, but you see that the crew really enjoyed making this movie with an accurate sense of causticity. there are plenty of allusions(ex: rob lowe, bikini girls...)

its construction shows self-criticism, their play is really dumb, but it has a way of making it for pleasure. it has a lot of funny innuendos. its the best films of the serie...

this film is considered as a cult, in its way, like the "horror picture show', and you'll understand afterwards why clooney likes to play the clown, when you see his filmography..but he's not just the only interesting actor of this movie ( ;o) )

the best thing is to see it with friends and drinks & foods (try to make a pizza without tomatoes but with pineapples & tunafish).

enjoy! :-p
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatest B-movie comedy ever made
LiloandStitch016 December 2002
Even though I've only recently saw this yesterday,it is most certainly the greatest B-movie comedy ever made,and the most important part of Killer Tomato history,since many characters here went on to be on the TV show,most of the characters from the first movie reappear only they're played by different actors with the exception of J.Stephen Peace as Chad Finletter,with the introduction of six new characters,Chad(Anthony Starke),Matt(George Clooney),Tara(Karen Mistal,later to be played by legendary voice actress Kath Soucie on the show),Professor Gangreen(John Astin),and FT as himself,the product placement gag precedes the one in Waynes World by 5 years,and it has one of the weirdest relationships since Splash,I haven't seen the first or the next 2 sequels,but I'm sure they're just as funny as this one,so take my advice and buy this at Best Buy today and request to Anchor Bay to release the other Killer Tomato movies on DVD
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cult Classic Continues...
overkill-69 April 2001
...excuse the excessive alliteration. A sequel (of sorts, though they change the entire plot) to the original "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes," this film absolutely screams "80's"...the music especially. That said, sure, it's silly, it's plot-deficient, it's over-acted...but it's SUPPOSED to be! The movie constantly makes fun of itself as it runs. ("Hey, has there been a chase scene in this movie yet?")

A young, big-haired George Clooney delivers dozens of one-liners perfectly [this is not a big surprise, actually], the visual jokes are a riot (the overdone "product placement" is brilliant, especially considering its juxtaposition with the completely silly "fight scene" featuring cowboys, ninjas, bikers, and a really bad impersonation of Muamar Ghadafi), John Astin's totally-over-the-top "evil doctor" character is so deliberately bad it's good, the little sideline parodies are excellent (Oliver North Federal Prison? Full Contact America's Cup Yachting?)...good stuff all around.

Oh yes, and it's also one of the very few films to feature the gorgeous Karen Mistal. (I've spent some time trying to figure out what she supposedly did with a lawnchair, six milk bottles, and a tuning fork...)

It also features a quick cameo by lingerie-clad Teri Weigel, who went on to star in quite a few other movies...though most of them aren't exactly rated "PG," if you catch my drift.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent sequel for its day
AlanSmithee015 January 2002
In the late 80s when sequels were being put out at an incredible rate, this little film called "Return of the Killer Tomatoes" was released. It definately ranks among the best comedy sequels I've ever seen. Possibly the funniest sequel to this genre next to "Gremlins 2"

The film is the sequel to the spoof of disaster flicks "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" that bombed heavily upon release. This film pokes fun at the low-budgets and box-office failures of both films but tends to make more of a mockery of the first film. It reuses old footage, makes fun of the actors/lines from the first film and has a plot thats almost a complete turnabout from the first one. There are no giant growling tomatoes or explosions or musical numbers or anything hi-tech in this film but you get tons of hot chicks, evil Tomatoes-turned-Rambo guys, catchy synthesizer music, the adorable little F.T.("fuzzy tomato") and probably the only time you'll see John Astin and George Clooney in the same movie.

I'd give it an 8/10!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The girl of my dreams is a vegetable...
maxshreck13 May 2002
I love this movie!! Judge me if you will, but I stand by my opinion. Forget Mars Attacks, THIS is the best B-movie spoof made in a long time. I haven't seen the original (though plenty of supposed footage from the first one is spliced into this film as part of the joke, much in the same way as Bride of Frankenstein, 1935), but from what I can gather from reviews, this is better.

The film constantly makes fun of its low budget with several actors playing multiple parts, and the product-placement scene in the Pizza Place precedes the one in Wayne's World by years and is much, much funnier. The before-he-was-famous Clooney is hilarious, and there's a nice touch having John Astin (who has already spoofed light horror in the original Addams Family) play Professor Gangrene.

The film is simply a silly delight to watch, so I recommend you get your hands on it as soon as possible!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
menwhats27 February 2001
This film ranks up there with the best of the spoof movies, such as Naked Gun, Airplane!, and Top Secret! I rented it as part of a bad horror movie marathon, along with Leprechaun in Space. It has some of the funniest moments I've ever seen in any movie. The running joke about the film's low budget was one. Also, the fight in the bar made me laugh hysterically. Why did the fight occur? I have no idea! Keep in mind that I don't enjoy this movie on a campy, b-movies-are-cool level. I regard this movie on a One of the Funniest Movies Ever Made level. George Clooney has large hair and does a pretty good job. Also, look out for Rick Rockwell, TV's Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire? millionaire in one of his rare movie appearances! He plays a shady villain.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatest Movie ever to not take itself seriously
jackattack2862 May 2003
What can I say about this movie except that it is FUNNY! Not once does it take itself seriously, always blurring the line between what you know a movie to be and just how ridiculous can you make it. Check this out for a young George Clooney. Or just check it out for a really fun night.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"She's sexy, she cooks, she cleans... I think you've found the perfect woman." Mildly entertaining comedy spoof.
poolandrews22 February 2006
Return of the Killer Tomatoes! starts as it means to go on with a silly film-within-a-film gag about it being the one dollar movie of the week on a cheap cable TV station. Once the film begins proper it seems that Professor Gangreen (John Astin) is experimenting with splicing human & tomato genes & has created tomato people, or at least I think that's what's happening. One such tomato person is his good looking assistant Tara (Karen Mistal) who dislikes the way he treats her fellow tomatoes & runs away, she ends up at pizza delivery guy Chad Finletter's (Anthony Starke) shop because he is the only other person she knows. They become romantically involved but the sinister Professor Gangreen sends his tomato person servant Igor (Steve Lundquist) to find, capture & return her. Oh, a young looking George Clooney is here as Matt, Chad's best friend just to make the film even more bizarre.

Co-edited, co-starring, co-written & directed by John De Bello I thought Return of the Killer Tomatoes! was an OK comedy spoof that you simply can't take seriously. The script by De Bello, Stephen F. Andrich, Costa Dillon & J. Stephen Peace moves along at a fair pace & has plenty of cheap gags the best of which are centred around some tacky & blindingly obvious product placement, a trend that was becoming popular in films at the time this was made, the fact that tomatoes are now illegal & have to be smuggled into the country like drugs & the shortest car chase in cinema history. A lot of it is pretty much hit & miss, you'll either end up in stitches rolling around on the floor or you'll be sat there stoney faced. Personally I found a few scenes mildly amusing but I thought much of the comedy here was far to predictable, silly & juvenile to be effective. Also forget about any literal killer tomatoes because there aren't any as the film focuses on Tara & her adventures in the real world of which she had no knowledge of before, at heart it's a fish out of water tale with the hapless Chad bailing her out of trouble. At the end of the day I found it an acceptable way to pass the time, nothing more.

Director De Bello doesn't do much & as a whole Return of the Killer Tomatoes! is a rather bland & forgettable film throughout. There are flashbacks to the original Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (1978) to save money while he goes for zany comedy rather than bother with unimportant things like a story.

Technically Return of the Killer Tomatoes! is OK at best but nothing spectacular. It's competent but nothing more. The acting isn't up to much & it really is strange to see such a young George Clooney pre-stardom in such a, well lets be kind & call it a unique piece of film-making.

Return of the Killer Tomatoes! is OK if you liked films such as Airplane! (1980), Top Secret! (1984), The Naked Gun (1988) & Loaded Weapon 1 (1993). Watchable if your in the right mood. Followed by a further two sequels, Killer Tomatoes Strike Back! (1990) & Killer Tomatoes Eat France! (1991) both of which were directed by De Bello who seems to enjoy making films about tomatoes a little too much, he must have a giant tomato fetish or something like that...
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Return of the Killer Tomatoes!: Misses its mark but still entertains
Platypuschow29 September 2017
1978's Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes was an unexpected cult gem that despite looking ridiculous actually managed to entertain with it's Naked Gun (1988) style humour.

With the sequel set a decade later and following on from the events of the first I expected more of the same so was disheartened to see they had gone in a different direction.

The style of humour is the same though not as quickfire, but the content simply isn't Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes! Instead of rampaging killer vegetables we instead have a sinister plot that involves Tomatoes in human form.

Starring the original Gomez Adams John Astin and a young George Clooney this silly but still likable comedy doesn't provide the laughs alike the original but still has enough about it to be entertaining.

You may have to wade through some unfunny stuff to get to them but the jokes are there and most are delivered by Clooney who demonstrates once again that he has a natural affinity for comedy.

It's hard to believe this franchise was born at all let alone that it spawned 4 movies across 3 decades and even a television show!

The Good:

George Clooney is hilarious

The Bad:

Doesn't have the novelty value or charm as the original

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Big Breasted Girls Go To The Beach should have been a real film

Anchovies go great on pizza with gummy bears

Rasberry Jam Calzone should be a thing

A teddy bear yelling rape is one of the most traumatising sounds imaginable

I want a FT doll

If the movie was remade the confederate flag would probably not be on the good guys uniform

Big Breasted Tomatoes go to the beach and take their tops off should also have been a real film
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent 80's movie
mad_howlie2 May 2005
This is an excellent movie on so many levels. The 80s nostalgia was all over it, the hair and clothing styles, the music. George Clooney was in top form, his scenes were excellent, he had me laughing on the floor. Tara is the hottest tomato that I've ever seen. The Finletter/Kadafi/cowboys/ninjas/bikers fight was incredibly funny, and the product placement scenes blew the later used scenes in Wayne's World away-though they were funny too. If you wanna watch a fun movie, when your not in the mood to strain your brain on a complex plot line, feel like reliving some of those 80s trends, or you just feel like laughing your ass off, give Return of the Killer Tomatoes a try. Also except for a flashback scene, you don't have to listen to the song Puberty Love in this one!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Mindless Fun
balbindersmith15 January 2015
This movie is not a good movie, I admit that right away, so right off the bat let's not say I'm arguing that it's a great movie we should respect.

But that said the people who made this movie also know it's not a good movie. They are in on that and are just giving us a fun ride. I bet they had a lot of fun making it too. And I mean be honest what do you expect from a movie with such a ridiculously stupid title as "Return of the Killer Tomatoes?"

People playing multiple parts, laughably bad effects, stupid slapstick jokes, but it all works and is a lot of fun.

Plus George Clooney is in it, in what I bet is the role he is most embarrassed by in his entire career :) If you like "bad movies" that are funny it is worth checking this one out. Also the soundtrack is super fun.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyably inane hoot
Woodyanders25 June 2009
Mad scientist Professor Gangreen (a gloriously hammy John Astin) plans on conquering the world with his army of tomato men soldiers. It's up to nice guy pizza maker Chad Finletter (affable Anthony Starke) and his easygoing smoothie best friend Matt Stevens (an engaging performance by George Clooney in an early pre-stardom gig) to stop Gangreen before it's too late. Moreover, Chad falls in love with sweet'n'sexy, yet seriously kooky tomato lady Tara Boumdeay (an adorable portrayal by sultry brunette fox Karen Mistal). Director/co-writer John De Bello crams this flick with plenty of blithely silly and often sidesplitting jokes about such things as product placement, cheesy TV game shows, equally tacky late-night trashy movie marathon television programs, and lousy special effects (Gangreen's house is an obvious crummy matte painting), plus tosses in a corny romantic montage set to a hideously sappy song (watch out for the irritating mime!), a scene-stealing hairball mutant tomato named FT, a snake that growls like a dog, a nonsensical gratuitous fight scene complete with ninjas, and loads of priceless dippy dialogue (favorite line: "The girl of my dreams is a vegetable"). The cast have a field day with the screwball material: Starke and Clooney make for likable protagonists, Astin deliciously overacts with eye-rolling aplomb, Steve Lundquist pours on the smarm as Gangreen's slimy yuppie assistant Igor, J. Stephen Peace is a riot as Chad's gung-ho uncle Wilbur, and De Bello contributes a pleasingly smug turn as supremely obnoxious TV reporter Charles White. The plain cinematography by Stephen Kent Welch and Victor Lou gives this picture a properly chintzy look. The bouncy score by Rick Patterson and Neal Fox and the witty theme song both hit the groovy spot as well. Sure, this flick is incredibly dumb and ridiculous immaterial fluff, but the film's endearingly giddy'n'goofy sense of off-the-wall humor is impossible to either resist or dislike. An absolute gut-buster.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best -Funnest-'B' movies ever.
stemkedj16 April 2007
I have to say I first saw this movie while I was in graduate school. My roommate brought it home and it had been a rough day in the lab, so why not? I had seen the original movie and remembered its 'cult star' appeal so I kind of expected the same kind of movie. I was wrong.

This movie tries its best to disguise itself as a B movie. But there is a lot more to this production. Generally B movie acting turns me off. But the crew of this movie really shines through. The 'Star' of this movie is supposed to be John Astin, although George Clooney of later fame also shines in this film. The main actor, Anthony Starke, plays his part brilliantly. But, lets be fair, the actor, or actress, in this movie who I think is the real star is Karen Mistal. She was hired for her obvious incredible beauty, but frankly, she really shines in this film as an actress. She plays the roll as a creation of the 'mad scientist' and brings real mystery (in a light-hearted way)to the roll. I think it is a real pity that she never developed into a better known actress in any other movies.

If you like knee-slapping non-sophisticated in your face humor this is the movie for you, sort of like 'Airplane' or the 'Naked Gun' series type humor. If you want sophisticated humor I guess there is still Woody-Allen, right? I liked it so much it was one of the first comedy VHS movies I bought, and that was saying a lot back when I was a poor graduate student.

And watch-out for those veggies! PS. Skip the Tomatoes in France. Now there's some bad acting!
Really funny movie.
nhlgumby11 January 2002
*Spoilers at the end*

I really wish I had seen the original movie before this one, but I saw this movie for sale, and I just had to get it, knowing the reputation of the original. And I gotta say, I laughed my buttocks off watching this movie. Everything about this was hilarious. The beginning with "Big Breasted Women Go to the Beach and Take Their Tops Off" the movie, and how the movie treated itself like it was a piece of crap. And I love the interruptions in the middle of the movie, like when they were showing clips of the first movie and people called in complaining that this wasn't really a new movie, all they did was recycle the old one. And I love when the director has to stop the movie to tell everybody they were out of money, and so they started the product placement. That had to have been the funniest thing I have seen in a couple of months.

I can't understand why this movie has such a low rating, I loved it. I am a huge advocate of terrible B-Movies and that was what I expected to see when I watched this. A terrible B-Movie, but I got so much more. I actually laughed at their jokes, I enjoyed the plot, and I believed the actors, no matter how goofy they were at some times. The only part about this movie (and I know it is supposed to seem like this) that I really did not like, was the end. I really do not like anti-climaxes, and I did not like this ending. When F.T. jumped onto the grenade and blew up, I really wanted him to stay dead for two reasons. I SAW him get blown up, and I SAW him blow up into pieces. He should not have survived. But, that wasn't the full end. I actual end was where all the tomato clones went down to the beach and took their tops off... What an ending. Great movie, deserves more credit than it was given.
Highlight of the Series
gavin694210 February 2008
Years after the original batch of evil tomatoes was destroyed by the song "Puberty Love", a new batch has been created -- a batch that can be transformed into a humanoid appearance, to blend in with the human population. Wilbur Finletter, the original hero, returns as his nephew unknowingly falls in love with Tara, a tomato and the girlfriend of the evil Dr. Gangreen.

While there's something to be said about sequels not being able to surpass the originals, I find this to be an exception. The humor is campier, and the jokes are lamer. But for some reason, I really appreciate it. The visual gags are stepped up to the level of "Airplane!" or some Mel Brooks movie and I do not think this one should be neglected. Even in the beginning when clips are shown from the first movie, the clips are well chosen to really bring out the funniest and most important parts, adding something to the new saga.

The original film was actually a student film at UC-Davis, and was redone in 1977 as what we know today. That could have been the end of the series, but by early 1980s home video came around and gave the original a new lease on life and a sequel was inevitable... this time even produced by New World (who had no input). The bar was set higher (or lower) and they succeeded.

George Clooney appears. Actually, he more than appears -- he is on screen more than just about anyone. This is before he was big, and he has a long-haired look as though he was auditioning for the part of Jesse on "Full House" (but I guess he lost to John Stamos). Clooney is very lovable in this film, pulling a Charlie Sheen act of women-chasing that suits him well. There is something funny in retrospect about him running a "Meet Rob Lowe" contest to meet women, when now (2016) the women would much rather meet Clooney than Rob Lowe (though Lowe has come back in the last few years).

Some of the jokes are more subtle, at least as subtle as a film like "Killer Tomatoes" can be. Take, for example, the Oliver North Federal Prison. At the time, this was probably pretty funny. Today, the audience who "gets it" will be much smaller (they'll say "Isn't he a commentator for Fox News?"). And there are plenty of sex jokes, but despite their prominence I never felt the film crossed into the childish realm of "gross-out" humor. Even the nudity was more or less tastefully done (I expected much more).

For me, the scene (or scenes) with the product placement running joke are among the funniest. We get the characters to break the fourth wall, we get some slight jabs at low budget film and consumerism... and just in general the whole concept is funny. Some have pointed out that the gag was stolen by "Wayne's World"... how much this film (or "Wayne's World") were actually paid by the companies they use in the joke remains unclear.

If you liked the first film, I cannot see why you would not love this. And if you grew up with the cartoon, you will want to see this film since this is the one the series was based off of. I have yet to see "Killer Tomatoes Eat France", but I think it is safe to say that "Return" is the high point in the movie series.

As always, the best way to see this film is on the blu-ray released from Arrow Video. Besides the priceless audio commentary with creator-writer-director John DeBello, there are also TV spots and other promotional items. Anthony Starke provides a nice interview concerning how he got involved and the use of product placement. Clooney, unfortunately, is not interviewed, but that is not really a surprise. Stephen Peace, a series regular, is also not interviewed, most likely because he went on to be a notable California politician of all things.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Do we have enough money to finish this turkey yet?"
gridoon23 January 2002
This sequel to "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" has actually very little to do with it. It's also a much better film. It does get a bit too juvenile for its own good toward the end, but it's entertaining (at times), with bits of surreal humor, jabs at moviemaking itself and decent acting. Half the time you'll be laughing, the other half you'll be looking at your watch. (**)
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just love this
happycarrot6810 April 2017
I just find this film so incredibly funny with every watch. as a fan of B movies and trashy horror films, this film hits the spot with it's tremendous humour and just daft situations.

I love the fact that film even spoofs it's own budget half way through and so many scenes stand out, the mime artist, the restaurant scene( the interview with the woman is hilarious) the list goes on.

The jokes are daft but work, Karen Mistral is stunning and the whole thing works so well. One of those films I still stick on play when little worth watching and it never tires. I truly RELISH this film ( sorry).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest movies from the 80's
jacobjohntaylor111 May 2016
The is the second killer tomatoes movies and it is better then the first. Third killer tomatoes movie Killer tomatoes strike back is better. The forth killer tomatoes movie Killer tomatoes eat France is also better. This is this a great movie. Is it very funny. See it. See all this killer tomatoes movies. 5.1 is underrating it. This movie has a great story line. It also has great special effects. It also has great acting. It is very funny. See it. See all the killer tomatoes movies. This is one of the funniest movies from the 80's. There are not to many comedy movie that are funny. But this is. See it. It will make you laugh. See all the killer tomatoes movies. They are some of the comedy movie ever.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the produce aisle
ironhorse_iv7 May 2013
The Killer Tomantoes are back and honestly this is one of my favorite stupid movies. I think this was honestly, better than the Original movie 1978's Attack of the Killer Tomantoes. It's works as a parody of the real threat of Communism. It also spoofs old monster movies such as Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). The running gags are just over the top fun. I like the silly product placements, the secret word game show, and everybody liking Full Contact America's Cup Yacht Racing. The sight gags, sound gags, satire and clever humor all works here. There is a lot of catchy quotes in this film. There is only a few jokes that hit rock bottom for me. Director John De Bello made the sequel to a campy cult-classic, better than ever. De Bello even pokes fun at the movie, themselves, as he breaks the fourth wall to reveal the cheapness of the production on several occasions. The low-budget can be a bit disappointing like showing old footage from the first film way too much. Not only did De Bello renew the inane humor of the original, but also bring in new kooky characters to work with some of the original cast. The hilariously off-beat performances of all those actors account for much of the film's success. Professor Gangreen (John Astin) and his weather-man wannabe dumb hunky assistant Igor (Steve Lundquist) are just some of the new characters in the film. Their goal is to transformed simple tomatoes into vicious Rambo look alike tomato-men in another evil attempt at world domination! It is up to a new group of heroes to stop Professor Gangreen before the streets run red with the Red Meance. That group is a group of pizza makers, Matt (George Clooney) and Chad (Anthony Starke) who works for their Uncle Lt. Finletter's no-tomatoes pizza parlor (Steven "Rock" Peace reprising his role from the original movie).This was George Clooney's first full length film and compared to the first killer tomato movie, the acting is pretty darn good throughout. Still, I kinda get confused if I'm watching George Clooney here, or John Stamos. They look very similar to each other at the time. They uncovered Gangreen's scheme, when Chad meets Professer Gangreen's assistant Tara (Karen Mistel) who escape from his hide out with a fuzzy tomato, or FT for short. Karen Mistal is very hot and stunning. She gives off some pretty good humor parts as well. He soon find out that there is something about her that doesn't add up. Can the group save the world from Professer Gangreen and his armies of tomato-men? If you didn't like this movie, well I feel sorry for you. It's just fun mindless comedy horror flick. The point of the film is be off the wall stupid film. So it's hard to criticize a film for that. It's suppose to be cheap, dumb, and cheesy. If you don't like it, maybe Big-Breasted Girls Go to the Beach and Take Their Tops Off will be your type of film. If you do like this movie, make sure to watch the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series. If you haven't saw this movie. Go watch it and make some toast, eggs, bacon, toast, waffles and toast with it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a slight improvement on the original
disdressed1226 March 2011
i found this sequel to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes to be a slightly better movie.for one thing,it's high energy and not boring.plus,the music in this one is actually not annoying.however,i still didn't think it was funny at all.some of the gags are just too stupid too be funny.but that's just my opinion.again,i wouldn't watch it again in a long time.it wasted just over an hour and a half when i had nothing else to do.again,it's all about the novelty factor with this one.there's a third one entitled Killer Tomatoes Eat France,which is likely more of the same,so i'll be skipping that one.for me,Return of the Killer Tomatoes!is a 5/10
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies ever
SustentaculumTali7 February 2004
This movie has everything from cheesy lines to classic quotes (iron your pants, how about a blow job?) and tear jerking loneliness and romance (I mean in the laughable sense). When the movie (as pov as it is) finally runs out of money they turn to product placement, only too obviously. From main characters describing their methods of transportation to a picture of the haunted mansion with a pepsi logo on it, you'll adore this movie and have to own it.

It also stars George Clooney in his first acting role (god only knows how he made it up from there) and it doesn't require you to see the first Killer tomatoes (thank god) there is an indepth recap of it in this film (to waste time). I cherish this movie and would put it on my top ten of all time (right up there with BioZombies).