Rain Man (1988) Poster

(1988)

Very good but not as good as its Oscars would imply.
MartinHafer17 January 2015
Charlie (Tom Cruise) has just learned that his estranged father has died. But the biggest surprise comes soon after when he learns that his father's fortune is NOT coming to him and Charlie is NOT the only child in the family. It turns out that he has a much older brother, Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) and the money has been placed in a trust to care for him because he is mentally disabled and dealing with the effects of autism. In a jerky move, Charlie kidnaps his brother and decides he'll care for him until the trustee will agree to give him some of the $3,000,000 fortune. Much of the film is a road trip where the two go cross-country--making money at Vegas and having a laugh or two. However, the ending where Charlie supposedly grew and changed (just a bit) did seem a bit difficult to believe.

"Rain Man" won four Oscars--including one for Best Picture. This would seem to imply that it is an amazingly good film. However, I would argue that the film is actually a very good one but it also appeared during a year in which the competition just wasn't very good. The list of other nominees would include "The Accidental Tourist", "Dangerous Liasons", "Working Girl" and "Mississippi Burning"--all films that just don't seem particularly Oscar-worthy.

The film is interesting and also is a funny look into the awful fashions of the late 1980s. Just don't expect a film that is anything else.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a brilliant movie!
TheLittleSongbird3 October 2010
I heard a lot about how good this film was, and when I saw it myself I can completely see why. Rain Man is beautifully crafted; funny, moving and startling, sometimes all at once. The cinematography and scenery is beautiful, and the music is effective. The story never loses steam or feels boring, and the script is excellent while Brian Levinson directs absolutely beautifully. The performances from the two leads are brilliant. As fantastic as Dustin Hoffmann is, and he is, his character is one of cinema's greatest triumphs and Hoffmann adeptly is hilarious, unsentimental and completely and utterly believable, that is not to say Tom Cruise should be dismissed, because Cruise is every bit as good as a character whose emotional journey ranges from confused and impatient to understanding and protective. Overall, brilliant film elevated by the two leads and the direction primarily. 10/10 Bethany Cox
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Yuppie And The Savant
bkoganbing27 February 2008
The name of Babbitt has an old but not terribly honored name in American literature. George Babbitt was the creation of Sinclair Lewis as the the self seeking, hard striving archetypal middle class American whose interest is making money above all. If George Babbitt had a grandson he'd be Charlie Babbitt late of Cincinnati, Ohio.

As played by Tom Cruise he's a worthy successor to his grandpa. George Babbitt if he were around today would be proud of Charlie. He's a child of the Eighties, looking for paper profits in fast deals. But he's got a cash flow problem. He's on the hook for a pair of expensive Italian Lamberghini sports cars and his customers want either the cars, their money back, or his head.

In the midst of these problems comes word that is father who he'd been estranged from for years has died. Back from Los Angeles to Cincinnati goes Tom in the hopes a timely legacy will save his butt. What a shock to find that his father's millions went in trust to an unnamed benefactor and all he got was a used car and rose bushes. But that's not all.

The unnamed beneficiary for whom the money is held in trust is Tom's older brother, older by about 15 years who's been institutionalized. He's an autistic, idiot savant, played by Dustin Hoffman. What to do, but break him out of that institution and gain custody of him and his millions.

Rain Man's success hinges on the performance of Dustin Hoffman as Raymond (Rain Man) Babbitt and it's the best piece of work Dustin Hoffman ever did on screen. We're told that for someone in his condition, he's pretty far advanced. He can count 246 matches falling out of a matchbox that contains 250 and 4 were left inside. He's memorized Abbott&Costello's Who's On First without any idea of what it means. He sees and memorizes, but can't reason or articulate.

But Dustin Hoffman did more with those monotone answers and his own facial expressions in interpreting the role than I think most actors would be capable of. It's a world so different for Hoffman than it is for Cruise and for any of us reading my review. Raymond Babbitt would memorize the words I write and not be capable of knowing their meaning.

The film is about the growing relationship of the two brothers, one of whom the other didn't know existed. Hoffman does know about Cruise and there was a reason he was kept apart from him, not a good one to keep him unaware of his existence, but a reason. It's something I won't tell you'll have to see the film to find out.

Tom Cruise also does a wonderful job in exploring all the dimensions of Charlie Babbitt. Normally I find it a weakness in a film that secondary characters aren't developed. But in the case of Rain Man it really is all about these two brothers.

Rain Man got four Oscars, four big ones, Best Picture, Best Actor for Dustin Hoffman, Best Director for Barry Levinson, and Best Original Screenplay and Story for Barry Morrow and Ronald Bass. All richly deserved.

Best scenes in the film when Cruise decides to make use of Hoffman's talents by stopping off in Las Vegas. That has to be seen.

You will be moved mightily with one viewing of Rain Man.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great performances from Hoffman and Cruise
SnoopyStyle15 May 2015
Charlie Babbit (Tom Cruise) is a self-obsessed hustler selling high-end automobiles. His girlfriend Susanna (Valeria Golino) tries and fails to connect with him. His father dies and leaves him the 1948 Buick Roadmaster convertible. He drove it once without permission at 16 and got thrown in jail for 2 days. The estate in excess of $3 million is left to Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman) who is an autistic brother unknown to Charlie. Charlie kidnaps Raymond while trying to get his half share of the money.

There are two terrific performances. Hoffman's careful dissection of an autistic character is one of the first such performances that I saw. It's the work of a master. Less acknowledged is the callous despicable Charlie character. Tom Cruise is unrelenting. He's the one who has to react to everything that Hoffman throws at him. His character has the growth and the changes. Their interactions are a fascinating watch.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kmart sucks
Prismark109 April 2019
I watched Rain Man several times when it was initially released. I recently re-watched it and found it just as entertaining.

The movie arrived in 1988 as an event. It had young hot shot Tom Cruise and a committed performance from Dustin Hoffman as an autistic servant. The drummed up publicity expected big box office and Oscars.

Cruise plays Charlie Babbit a fast talking salesman who sells high performance cars and his business is about to tank. He is more busy keeping out creditors from his door.

When his wealthy father dies all he is left with is a 1948 Buick Roadmaster convertible. Although Charlie was estranged from his father, he is shocked that the bulk of the estate, over $3 million has been placed in trust to care for his older brother Raymond Babbitt (Hoffman.) Shocked because Charlie does not remember having a brother.

Ge goes to see Raymond who has been living in an institution for decades. Charlie takes Raymond from the institution in the hope that he can get a share of the inheritance money.

The rest of the film is a road movie. Raymond is afraid to fly and Charlie needs to take the back roads to California. Over time he recognises Raymond's conditions as an autistic, his rituals and lack of emotional connection.

Raymond's ability with numbers leads to a diversion in Las Vegas where Charlie wins big in Blackjack.

As they travel together and slowly bond, Charlie rekindles memories of the rain man. Now realising that this were early childhood memories of his older brother, Raymond before he was institutionalised.

Barry Levinson directed Rain Man in a very modern way. It also has an interesting and eclectic soundtrack from Hans Zimmer.

The key of the film is the chemistry between Cruise and Hoffman. This was an era where Cruise would normally be paired with an older more experienced named actor such as Hoffman, Newman, Nicholson. He showed he could keep up with them. Charlie gets to grow as a person by the end of the movie. The key is Hoffman's performance. He really inhibits Raymond Babbitt and his world.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The innocent mind of a child combined with the brain of a genius.
mark.waltz12 January 2015
There's been a misguided belief in movie fans that to win an Oscar, your chances will increase if you're playing somebody with a mental or physical handicap. That certainly is true as evidenced by the number of people who have won for playing disabled characters, but there certainly have been a ton of actors who didn't get a nomination for playing such roles. In the case of Dustin Hoffman as the unknown older brother to Tom Cruise, it is obvious as to why he won, and that is the fact that his second Oscar win came for one of the single best film performances ever put onto film.

Tom Cruise's Charlie Babbitt is a total selfish S.O.B. who is surprised by finding out that his late father left his estate to an unknown person and only left him an expensive antique sport scar which had been the cause of their rift years before. Investigating the beneficiary, Cruise ventures to a hospital for the handicapped where he encounters Raymond (Hoffman), an autistic man who recognizes the car which forces the hospital's administrator to reveal that indeed, Raymond is the older brother Cruise never knew he had, only having encountered him in what he felt was a childhood dream as "rain man".

While Charlie remains a very selfish character, his motivations change as he gets to know his brother, going from wanting to get control of the estate (to save his failing sport scar business) to getting custody of Raymond. But no matter his intentions of wanting to get to know his brother, the question arises as to if a mentally handicapped man like Hoffman's Raymond can make it in society even surrounded by the best that money has to offer. Fortunately, the selfish Charlie has a very wise girlfriend (Valeria Golino) who pushes him to try to get to know his brother in the first place, and this opens up the possibility that there is a chance that Charlie will learn that the world doesn't just focus on him and his needs and that there is certainly something more important in life than just making a name for yourself in business to prove to a dead man (the unseen father whom he resents even after death) that you can make it without him.

While Cruise gives an honorable performance, his character is certainly too smarmy to really totally like. It's Hoffman who wins praise here hands down, giving a detailed nuance to everything that Raymond does. When actors do win Oscars for playing characters like this or with other handicapped (such as Cliff Robertson for "Charly" and Daniel Day Lewis for "My Left Foot"), it is because there is more than just an element of reality to their characterizations. They win Oscars for these performances because they show the average movie goer what these characters are really like. It asks the question, "What really is the definition of being handicapped?" and explodes open our view of the world past what we simply only see on the surface.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I like having you for my big brother."
classicsoncall21 February 2018
This picture cracks me up every time I watch it. The toothpick scene in the diner is simply classic to me, topped off by that 'four left in the box' admission by the waitress.

"I've got Jeopardy at five o'clock" would have been my summary line under normal circumstances for this film, but this wasn't an ordinary movie. When Charlie Babbit (Tom Cruise) proclaims that he likes having Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) as his big brother, it was the completion of a transformation that gradually occurred over the course of the story. Cruise's character starts out in the story as a scheming, money worshiping egomaniac, and is subtly moved to accept and love an autistic brother he never knew he had. One probably has to suspend some disbelief over that circumstance, but the way it's explained in the story makes the idea at least somewhat plausible. The revelation of Raymond as the 'Rain Man' is one of the movie's great creative touches.

I know this, I would love to have been on the set while this picture was filming, just to see what outtakes never made it into the picture because of Hoffman's unique ability to portray the type of character Raymond was. But even better, I would have enjoyed seeing Hoffman stay in character off set to bedevil his co-star with repeated clueless observations that would have driven Tom Cruise crazy for real. Can you just picture it? "I've got Jeopardy at five o'clock".
Classic Hoffman
gavin694228 January 2015
Selfish yuppie Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise)'s father left a fortune to his savant brother Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) and a pittance to Charlie; they travel cross-country.

This is a film that is not only brilliant for its script, not only prescient for its addressing autism before people knew what it was, but just a perfect example of casting. Hoffman is a strong actor and really shows it here. Cruise, not quite as strong, fits in perfectly as the pompous, well-coiffed 1980s capitalist.

If you want to talk about modern classics, you want to talk about "Rain Man". Few films hold up as well as this one does. But then, there is just something about the 1980s that seems utterly timeless.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but the best movie of 1988?
lee_eisenberg15 May 2006
Personally, I don't know whether I would have given "Rain Man" Best Picture for 1988. It was a good movie, but I don't think the best one from that year (I would give that distinction to "A World Apart"). The plot of course has yuppie Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) meeting his autistic brother Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) and taking him on a trip across the country. Over the course of the movie, we see how Raymond's autism affects him and his surroundings, but also makes him able to do really hard math problems (granted, the numbers mean nothing to him).

All in all, this is a pretty well done movie. Maybe not a masterpiece or anything, but worth seeing nonetheless as a look into a certain part of society.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rain Man
jboothmillard4 July 2005
From Oscar winning, and Golden Globe nominated director Barry Levinson (Good Morning, Vietnam), this is an excellent road movie and drama film. Basically selfish hustler Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) has found out his father, who threw him out as a teenager, has died. He has only left him an antique convertible, and everything else is going to the older brother he never knew he had. His brother, Raymond (Oscar and Golden Globe winning, and BAFTA nominated Dustin Hoffman) is an autistic man (with Asperger's Disorder/Sydrome), and he has no knowledge with the concept of money. Charlie is very displeased with no fortune, and a brother his father never told him of, so he decides to "kidnap" Raymond. But Raymond is too scared to fly, apart from Qantas, so they start a long road trip. Along the way Charlie does have his rages at Raymond, but at one point he discovers that he is a friend he thought was imaginary in childhood, the Rain Man, and that he can calculate complicated mathematical problems in his head with great speed and accuracy, he starts to have real affection for his brother. The best scenes are the gambling (poker) spree, and those where Raymond and Charlie get on well, the ending of course when Raymond goes back with the carers or whatever is quite emotional. I can have some understanding of the character of Raymond (not in exactly the same way), because I myself have Asperger's Syndrome. Cruise is terrific as the suffering and later loving brother, Hoffman is not only admirable, but he is sympathetic when he is terrified and slapping himself, but also sometimes funny (I admit that) with his talking to himself and genius, it is just a great film. It won the Oscar for Best Writing, Original Screenplay and Best Picture, and it was nominated for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing and Best Music for Hans Zimmer, it was nominated the BAFTAs for Best Editing and Best Original Screenplay, and it won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Drama, and it was nominated for Best Screenplay. Tom Cruise was number 32, and Dustin Hoffman number 24 on The 100 Greatest Movie Stars, Cruise was also number 25 on The 100 Greatest Sex Symbols, and he was number 81 on The 100 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, and Hoffman was number 21 on The World's Greatest Actor, and the film was number 63 on 100 Years, 100 Cheers. Outstanding!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cruise's Abrasive Character Ruins This For Me
ccthemovieman-113 November 2006
Once again, here's a film I liked a lot on the first viewing, but less and less on subsequent ones and finally calling it quits after the third look. By then, Tom Cruise's character "Charlie Babbitt" was too much to take. It wasn't entertainment to listen and see his profane, arrogant, mean-spirited character. Yeah, he comes around to some decency in the end but it's too little-too late for me.

Dustin Hoffman, of course, gained a lot of recognition for his idiot-savant role of Cruise's brother "Raymond Babbitt." It's tough to root against a mentally- disabled person, even if he's math wizard.

As interesting a story as this is, and as is Hoffman's acting and character, Cruise ruins this film for me. For others who wouldn't be offended, I highly recommend the movie as it's an involving story and Hoffman's performance alone is worth the rental.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and Sentimental.
rmax30482317 May 2012
There's nothing much new in the movies about photographic memories. We've seen them in "It's Always Fair Weather" and "Operation Madball," among others. It all depends on the use to which they're put, and "Rain Man" puts a photographic memory to pretty good use.

Tom Cruise is a selfish expensive Los Angeles car dealer who is in a financial hole. He doesn't blink when his estranged millionaire father dies back in Cincinnati. He blinks when he discovers that he's inherited nothing but an old specimen of a Buick convertible and some rose bushes, the remainder of the fortune being put in a trust for the autistic brother, Dustin Hoffman, that Cruise never knew he'd had.

Hoffman is sequestered in a local institution where he's safe. Cruise, determined to somehow get his hands on all that moolah, kidnaps Hoffman and drives him across the country in that Buick, accompanied by Cruise's girl friend, Valeria Golino.

It becomes a mismatched buddy comedy. Hoffman is a pain in the neck, always talking to himself, demanding his obsessions be met regarding food, clothing, and scheduling. Hoffman can't stand to be touched and is unable to look anyone directly in the eye. If Cruise were capable of feeling shame, he'd be ashamed to take Hoffman out in public, but in fact Cruise is so shallow that all he feels is irritation and anger. Golino is so disgusted by Cruise's self absorption that she leaves him flat somewhere along the secondary roads, leaving us with two very self-aborbed men.

Things pick up when Cruise realizes that Hoffman is not a garden variety autistic but a savant. He has an extraordinary memory for details. He memorizes half a phone book in a few hours. He can remember anything, as few people can and few autistics. Eidetic imagery, the fancy name for photographic memory, is real enough. You can show somebody a comb for a few seconds and he can tell you how many teeth there are. But it's most common in children and fades with age. At any rate, Cruise forgets all about memorizing phone books and teaches Hoffman how to count cards at a Las Vegas casino. They make more than eighty large before being thrown out of town -- enough to save Cruise's big car business.

A movie like this, with two people who are alien to one another but are thrown together by circumstances, has to be handled delicately because everyone already knows that, by the end, the two of them will have bonded emotionally. In a movie like "Groundhog Day," Bill Murray's conversion to humanity is done very well indeed. Here, the transition is a bit contrived. What apparently landed Hoffman in the institution was that he was handling Cruise as a baby and accidentally dropped him in a tub of hot water. This is supposed to be a Big Reveal and our eyes are supposed to tear up. And at the final conference, which will determine Hoffman's fate, the two brothers are left alone for a few minutes and Hoffman leans his head against Cruise's and -- sob. The scene is meaningful in the worst sense. Fortunately, it doesn't end with Hoffman's being "cured" and dancing in the streets. Instead he's packed off back to the farm where Cruise promises to visit him. That's a mature sort of ending.

Hoffman evidently put a lot of effort into learning how to act like an autistic and it pays off. Cruise is lightweight, adequate, and handsome. The Italian inflections that inform Golino's speech are exquisite. It's like listening to an Italian movie in which the phonemes almost accidentally form English words.

I hope the movie doesn't leave anyone with the impression that autistics are all savants because it's far from the truth. Nobody knows what causes it but it's present at birth. An autistic baby is quiet and doesn't care if you pick him up and hug him or not. They're fascinated by glittering objects. (Hoffman says of a Vegas hooker, "She sparkles.") They tend to repeat rhythmic movements such as banging their heads lightly against the wall. And autism is at one end of a continuum, while at the other end is childhood schizophrenia. It's a curious disorder. Experienced observers comment that when you look at the eyes of an autistic child, though they don't respond to anything you do, you just KNOW there's intelligence there.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite Dustin Hoffman role and performance.
TxMike11 January 2015
Tom Cruise is 20-something Charlie Babbitt, living in Los Angeles and trying to make big money on a shifty luxury car business. He is stretched thin and needs to make a deal come together quickly, but then gets jolting news.

His dad back at their home in Cincinnati has just died, Charlie needs to go back for the funeral and hopefully to collect his inheritance. But his mom had died when he was very young, he and his dad never got along well, and in fact Charlie left and never looked back, and failed to stay in touch. In short he was a self-centered jackass in all aspects of his life and relationships.

It turns out Charlie was left very little, and most of the $3 Million inheritance went to a trust, and as he dragged it out of the administrator, Charlie found that he had an older brother he never knew about, Dustin Hoffman as Raymond Babbitt, living all his adult life in an institution. Later in the story Charlie remembers what he had thought was an imaginary friend named Rain Man but it in fact was his brother Raymond.

Charlie wants and needs his half of the inheritance. He is determined to take Raymond back to Los Angeles to live with him, takes him away from the institution without permission. What starts out as "the road trip from hell" because of Raymond's quirks eventually turns into a 6-day bonding experience. Raymond is an autistic savant and a turn card-counting at a Vegas casino proves entertaining.

So the story is really about the two brothers bonding on a level that they can, and Charlie learning some lessons about life. A very good movie, a classic of sorts.

SPOILERS: In the end, even though Charlie and Raymond make it back to the apartment in Los Angeles, it becomes clear that Raymond can't be successfully removed from the environment of the institution. When the mediator asks him if he wants to stay with his brother in L.A. he answers "Yes." Then when asked if he wants to go back to Cincinnati he also answers "Yes." His function is not high enough to allow him to make decisions. As Charlie sees Raymond off on the train back to Cincinnati it is sad but Charlie has found his family and presumably has learned to be a better person.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely worth watching. Definitely. Yeah...
paul_haakonsen23 July 2017
"Rain Man" is definitely one of the classics from the late 1980s. It is one of those movies that just pops out instantly when you talk movies from the 1980s.

The storyline in "Rain Man", briefly summarized, is about an L.A. hustler named Charlie Babbitt (played by Tom Cruise) whose father dies and leaves him an old car and rose bushes in his last will and testimony. Charlie learns that 3 million dollars go to a trust fund issued out to an unnamed recipient. Charlie delves into the matter as he wants his share of the inheritance and come to learn that he has an autistic brother named Raymond Babbitt (played by Dustin Hoffman) who lives at the Walbrook institution. Charlie "kidnaps" his own brother and travel across the country. It turns out that Charlie gets more than he bargained for on this journey.

Now, it is a combination of a fantastic story written by Barry Morrow and Ronald Bass, along with director Barry Levinson's vision, and the acting performances in the movie that makes this such an outstanding, memorable and beautiful movie.

"Rain Man" does indeed have a good cast ensemble, and it is of course both Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman that are the main attractions here. But this is without a doubt Dustin Hoffman's movie, because his performance as the autistic Raymond is just phenomenal. He is so convincing and his performance just has so much spirit and research put into it.

This is without a doubt a very compelling and beautiful movie, and it is a story that sinks right in and sticks with you. And it is also the type of movie that you can watch over and over, albeit with some time passing in between each viewing, mind you.

Personally I can't claim to be much of a fan of the ending, because it seems so very abrupt, and it doesn't really manage to bring a fulfilling closing to an otherwise heartfelt and warm story.
"Rain Man" Autism Speaks Out ***1/2
edwagreen5 February 2006
Dustin Hoffman, in a truly brilliant performance, as an autistic person, shut out of family life by his father. We must remember that Hoffman was classified as high functional. It would have been nearly impossible to make this film if that type of function were not there.

It is only with the death of his father that the normal son, Tom Cruise, learns of the brother he never knew.

Hoffman is totally believable as the victim of autism. We see and feel his very struggle.

Cruise seems to be another hot-shot performance who is deeply affected and toned down when he meets his brother. The hot-shot tones down as he learns more about life itself when he begins to interact with his handicapped brother. Cruise also gave a phenomenal performance and should have also been Oscar nominated. Didn't anyone see any resemblance in the fine performance that Hoffman gave with his 1967 break-through performance in "The Graduate?" In both films Hoffman displayed a rare vulnerability. In both films he struggled to come out of a life of being withdrawn.

We view the autistic as not the hopeless or seemingly retarded, which society has viewed them.

A film of the heart, richly brought out by the superior acting of Oscar winner Hoffman. A remarkable journey of a young man who wants to cope in a world that has shut him out.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Barry Levinson directs a masterpiece. Greed or family?
michaelRokeefe2 May 2000
Well acted. Well written. One of my favorites. A greedy young hustler (Tom Cruise) seeks to reunite with his brother played by Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman's character is an idiot savant and has just inherited the bulk of their father's estate. Cruise takes Hoffman out of the asylum and back into the mainstream hoping to talk him out of his share of the inheritance.

This drama does have some very, very funny moments provided by Hoffman. All is well that ends well. I have watched this over ten times and have not tired of it yet. Super movie!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Acting Performance By Dustin Hoffman
sunwarrior137 October 2011
Rain Man tells a story of a self-centered Los Angeles-based automobile dealer named Charles Sanford Babbit,simply known as Charlie,who is at conflicted with his own life.

As a young teenager,he used his father's Buick convertible without permission and as a result, he went to jail for two days.One day,Charlie learns that his estranged father died and left him from his last will and testament a huge bed of roses and the convertible. While the remainder will of $3 Million goes into a trust fund to be going to someone. He was extremely angry by this and decides to look into this matter further.Apparently,the recipient happens to be Raymond, his brother. He has no knowledge of him since his older brother happens to be an autistic that resides at the Walbrook Institute. Charlie takes Raymond and decides to take him on a lust for life trip to the west coast as a threat to get his share of the inheritance.

But during this road trip to Los Angeles,Charlie learns about Raymond's autism, which he initially believes is curable — resulting in his frequent frustration with his brother's antics. He also learns about how his brother came to be separated from his family, as a result of an accident when he was a baby. Raymond also sings "I Saw Her Standing There" by The Beatles like he did when Charlie was young, prompting him to realize that his older brother is the protective figure from his childhood, whom he falsely remembered as an imaginary friend named "Rain Man."

Charlie proves to be sometimes shallow and exploitative, as when he learns that Raymond has an excellent memory and takes him to Las Vegas to win money at blackjack by counting cards. However, towards the end of their trip Charlie finds himself becoming protective of Raymond, and grows to truly love him. Eventually,he has gained a new brother and mellowed his materialistic attitude as he develops a new relationship with his brother.

It is a classic movie due to Dustin Hoffman's performance alone as the autistic Raymond Babbit. I have never seen someone who portrayed a character with all honesty and accuracy. Also commendable is the chemistry between Hoffman and Tom Cruise as Charlie Babbit.Watch this movie for this reason alone.

Also,it deals with the theme of a relationship between brothers and of people suffering from autism.This seemingly ordinary film as most part of it is a conversation in road trip between Charlie and Raymond presents more than what is actually does for it is truly a heartwarming film.

A 10/10 rating is only justifiable. Highly recommended.Definitely,one of the best movies during the 80's.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rain man
bevo-1367830 March 2020
I like the bit when he did a fart bin the phone box. The card counting was good too
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My main man Charlie Babbitt.
hitchcockthelegend4 March 2008
It is something of a great cinematic achievement that Rain Man became the great film it clearly is because the story surrounding it is interestingly Hollywood in itself.

Four directors, six screenwriters, two cinematographers, eight producers, writers strikes, crew change, and a studio fighting for its life.

All of the above are common knowledge but it doesn't hurt to remember these facts when viewing the award wining triumph of a movie that stands the test of time today. The film is so simple in structure it really needed something special to pull it out of the prospective banality of being "just another road movie about finding oneself", Rain Man achieves something special by tackling its subjects with very sensitive hands and splicing a believable human concept into the story via the incredible shows from its two leading men.

Dustin Hoffman gives a magical moving performance as the Autistic Savant Raymond, the ultimate complement I can pay the performance is that it really is believable, both moving and clever rolled into one artistic result. Tom Cruise is equally as great in a role that called for drastic layer changes, a role that demanded much conviction from the actor taking it on, and Cruise gives the role much depth as he goes from shallow bastard to a very emotive and feeling human being, it's a great show that stands up to reevaluation these days. A performance that seems to have sadly been forgotten in light of Hoffman's film stealing show. With a film such as this you pray that the ending can do it justice, and I'm glad to say that there is no pandering here, it's an ending that says so much because it doesn't cop out, I thank god for those rewrites because the endings to the original scripts would of had me booting the TV set out of the window.

Essential cinema. 10/10
96 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
preppy-39 March 2007
Self-centered yuppie Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) goes to his rich father's funeral. He hasn't seen or spoken to him in many years. He finds out he isn't getting a cent from his dad--it's all going into a trust to his other son--Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman). Raymond is also an autistic savant and in an institution. Charlie "kidnaps" him to get his share of the money. But it turns into a journey of self-discovery.

The story is pretty simple--it's been done hundreds of times before. I knew exactly where this was going and how it was going to end...BUT that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. It's well-directed by Barry Levinson with a well-written (if predictable) script. Also Tom Cruise was actually very good--I usually hate the guy but I admit he did good in his role. But Hoffman is the whole movie. From what I heard he played the role exactly as it should be done (he spent months with autistic patients and families of them). He stutters and sprouts facts off non-stop. Hoffman is clearly enjoying himself. Valeria Golino is around as Cruise's girlfriend. She's given little to do unfortunately. Also this movie does not need to go on past two hours.

Still this is a GOOD little film. I can understand the Academy Awards for director and star (Hoffman)...but it did not deserve best screenplay or picture. Still a lot of people love this. It's good but not great. I give it an 8.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional journey
grantss3 February 2017
Unscrupulous, selfish, smooth-talking LA car dealer Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) is informed that his estranged father has just died. He travels to Cincinnati for the will reading but is disappointed when he receives hardly anything out of it, the bulk going to an unnamed trustee. He does some investigating and discovers that the money is going to a mental institution. At the institution he finds his older brother, Raymond (Dustin Hoffman), a brother he never knew he had. While Charlie's intentions are initially selfish, as he views Raymond purely as a meal ticket and irritation, over time his attitude, and outlook, change.

A wonderfully emotional journey. The transformation of Charlie, the way the two brothers grow closer to each other, the adventures and the humour make this a sweet, engaging story. Throw in the excellent performance of Dustin Hoffman (for which he received an Oscar) and you have a movie well worth watching.

While he didn't get an Oscar nomination, Tom Cruise does well as Charlie. He is playing to his strength, playing a brash, energetic young man but his character here is multi-dimensional and not the average action role.

Won the 1989 Best Picture Oscar.
The rain man
Calicodreamin11 March 2021
Cruise and Hoffman have such great chemistry that it gives their relationship an authentic feel. The storyline is unique and unfolds unpredictably. The characters have depth and its nice to see them develop throughout the film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my all-time faves; Levinson's masterpiece; superlative Hoffman & Cruise
george.schmidt21 April 2003
RAIN MAN (1988) **** Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Valeria Golina, Bonnie Hunt. My all time favorite contemporary film.

Brilliant Oscar-winning Best Picture film about quick-tempered exotic car salesman Charlie Babbitt (superlatively played by Cruise) who finds himself bilked out of his estranged father's inheritance and discovering an older brother, Raymond, (Hoffman flawlessly brilliant, Best Actor), an institutionalized autistic savant, and 'kidnaps' him in their dad's Buick Roadmaster for a cross-country odyssey of self-reflection and genuine sibling bonding. Poignant, funny, and moving character study with expert direction by Barry Levinson (Best Director and appears as a mental health envoy). Ethereally Oscar nominated haunting score by Hans Zimmer. Best scene: Cruise learning why Hoffman was "sent away." Life-affirming.
65 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Road Trippin' with Hoffman and Cruise
evanston_dad27 July 2008
Barry Levinson mostly resists the urge to give in to the rampant sentimentality that this story begs for, but the end result is still rather treacly and weepy.

Tom Cruise plays a selfish hot head who ends up having to care for his autistic brother (Dustin Hoffman). It's a road trip movie, the kind where you just know Cruise is going to discover all sorts of goodness about himself before it's all over; meanwhile, Hoffman acts up a storm, delivering the kind of performance that wins awards left and right (which is what happened). I don't mind this movie, but something about it just feels soft and gauzy, like all of Levinson's films. It's got no TEETH.

Grade: B+
Raymond
AaronCapenBanner6 December 2013
Barry Levinson directed this Academy Award winning(best picture and director) film that stars Tom Cruise as Charlie Babbitt, a selfish car salesman who one day learns that his estranged father has died, though he has left the bulk of his estate to Raymond Babbitt(played by Dustin Hoffman, who won a best actor Academy Award) the brother he didn't know he had, and who is also Autistic. Enraged at only inheriting rose bushes and an old car, Charlie goes to the Walbrook Institute, where Raymond lives, and proceeds to take Raymond with him on a cross-country journey, though he'll have to do it by car, since Raymond has a fit at the airport, but as time passes, Charlie starts to bond with his newly discovered brother, and his selfish attitude changes... Superb performances by the two leads, especially Hoffman, who is entirely believable in a difficult role, and the direction and script are first rate as well, largely avoiding clichés, though it does go on a bit too long.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.