The Great Outdoors (1988)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 18 items
Sex & Nudity
- A teenage boy and girl kiss passionately on several occasions.
- Role play occurs before John Candy removes the top of a woman. Side view of a breast from the back/side of a topless woman for maybe 10 seconds.
Violence & Gore
- One of the characters, whom Chet and Roman meet in a bar, says that he has been struck in the head by lightning 66 times. Later, the same character gets struck in the head one more time.
- A heated argument occurs in which two men square up. But no punches are thrown.
- A bear gets shot in its backside.
- 2 uses of goddamn (one is hard to hear)
- 2 uses of "son of a bitch"
- 4 uses of bitch
- Near the beginning of the film, a man tells his dog to "shut the freak up", but some viewers may think he said "shut the f**k up".
- 3 uses of bastard
- 15 uses of hell
- 8 uses of the shit
- 5 uses of damn
- 13 uses of ass
- Some uses of d*ck
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A couple of bar scenes at the main camp lodge. Only adults are seen with alcohol, no teens drinking during their "hanging out" times. The main character, Chet, selects club soda during a party, because he states he is the Designated Driver.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The bear scene at the end of the movie is fairly intense and may be frightening for younger viewers.