The Accidental Tourist (1988) Poster

An Underrated Gem
Ouarda2 July 2003
This is a faithful adaption of a brilliant novel. I have seen this movie a dozen times and it gets better with each viewing. It is subtle, yes, and that probably means it is not for everyone. Subtle, however, is not synonymous with boring, as unfortunately many people accustomed to a non-stop barrage of sense-dulling special effects and violence have come to believe. This film is as far from boring as it gets.

What I walked away from this story with is a reaffirmation of a force bigger than ourselves that takes our lives in a new direction -- one that we often consciously choose to reject. Macon Leary, as superbly played by William Hurt, has been sleepwalking through life for years. His profession says it all: he writes books for business travelers who have to visit exotic places but want to feel as if they never left home. Thus, the title, "The Accidental Tourist".

He is separated from his beloved wife, Sarah, played very well by Kathleen Turner. She could no longer live in with the waking death their life had become since the senseless murder of their young son years before. But he still wants nothing more than for her to return and resume that life. Even after a quirky dog-trainer played by Geena Davis (in her well-deserved Oscar-winning performance) enters his life and his heart he believes his future can only be with Sarah.

I don't want to give away the entire story, but I will say that the entire supporting cast, Macon's family (Ed Begley, Jr., Amy Wright, David Ogden Stiers) his editor (Bill Pullman), and a scene-stealing Welsh Corgi contribute richly and completely to the overall power of this story.

Some of the best dialogue I've ever heard on relationships, why they work, and why what we want so dearly to work just doesn't work anymore, is in this film. "Don't be lulled by a false sense of security". This powerful line, is what this film is all about, and it is placed perfectly, as all the memorable lines are. Give it a chance and an open mind because this film is the real deal. In my estimation, "The Accidental Tourist" is American cinema at it's best.
86 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superb Movie with lots of food for thought.
Greensleeves20 May 2003
This is a wonderful film by Lawrence Kasdan about a man who withdraws from his relationships with other people (and the world) after a terrible family tragedy. William Hurt plays the character of 'Macon', a man who writes books for people who don't want to travel and has become as grey and dull as his suit. His wife Sarah (the vibrant Kathleen Turner) separates from him and after an accident he goes to live with his family who live a life organised by his sister, Rose (Amy Wright) and settles into a dull routine. Even his dog seems to be turning against him, then he meets Muriel (Geena Davis) when boarding his dog and she not only teaches the dog new tricks but also shows Macon that his ways can be changed too. William Hurt gives a truly marvellous performance as a man who has given up on life and has become almost catatonic. This is a film that gets better with each subsequent viewing, containing much food for thought especially for anyone that wishes for a 'safe' and 'planned' life. The wonderful dreamlike score is by John Williams and it was nominated for an Oscar amongst many nominations for this film. Thankfully this outstanding movie is now available on DVD and in the correct viewing format.
42 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Deeply Hurting
Miles Charrier23 January 2005
William Hurt gives one of the most intensely interior performances on record. He is indescribable moving. His emotional paralysis becomes the palpitating centre of this gorgeous Lawrence Kasdan film. I saw the film, when it first come out, on a big huge screen that allowed me the strangely unique privilege of entering a man's soul. In the surface, nothing. Less than nothing, William Hurt floats through his daily existence, surrounded by his quirky family, his wounded, distant ex wife but first and foremost, his impenetrable loneliness. The character never utters a word who could confirm that, and yet is there, ever present, if you look deep, deep into his eyes. The scene in which he almost lets himself go in Geena Davis's arms is as cathartic as anything I've ever seen in any modern American movie. A couple of days ago I saw it again on a normal TV screen and all of the above wasn't there. Still a gorgeous film, a funny, melancholic romantic comedy but what about the interior masterpiece of William Hurt's performance? Gone. Did I imagine the whole emotional ride? Possible but unlikely. I took my VHS copy to a friend's house with a phenomenal home entertainment centre and a massive screen. William Hurt's performance was back. His is a performance conceived and designed for the big screen. One hundred per cent cinematic. The TV screen is far too small to allow us into a man's soul. If you haven't seen it I urge you to see it but in a big screen, the biggest you can find. Now let me leave you with this little tip. Look into William Hurt's eyes when he is in the taxi in Paris and sees the boy, who reminds him of his own son, walking down the street. It is the best performances by an actor in one of my favourite film moments of all time.
76 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stepping Outside Your Comfort Zone
AZINDN20 July 2006
The Accidental Tourist is a quiet and contemplative film that adults rarely have an opportunity to experience from an American perspective. Macon (William Hurt) is a Baltimore travel writer whose son was accidentally killed in a robbery. His wife Sarah (Kathleen Turner) leaves him when Macon withdraws to a somnambulist response, a favored routine to life that is Macon's family way. Macon's brothers (Ed Begley, Jr. and David Ogden-Stiers) are 40+ year old bachelors and living with their spinster sister, Rose in the family home. With the addition of the now separated Macon, the siblings are reduced to an eccentric routines of alphabetizing the pantry and discussions of who could be calling while the phone rings.

Into Macon's sedentary and uneventful pattern comes Muriel Pritcherd (Geena Davis), a dog trainer who takes hold of Edward, Macon's misbehaving Corgi, and inserts herself into their lives. A latent Annie Hall dresser whose mismatched clothing and late 50s car screams woman of a certain age with free spirit tendencies, Muriel gives new options to Macon through her unpredictable character and a small son, who takes immediately to him. Edward the dog even manages to behave and the little family becomes a new and invigorating experience for Macon, whose own relatives have long ago lost any sense of independence or initiative. With the unheard of occasion of the spinster sister's wedding to Macon's publisher, (Bill Pullman), Macon and Sarah are reunited and Muriel is dropped for the familiar situation of a convenient reconciliation. When Macon's work takes him to Paris, Muriel accidentally finds they are on the same plane and hotel. Although he is reluctant to interact with her, Muriel is storming the walls of resistance as before. Macon's situation is made more complicated with the appearance of his ex-wife, whose presence is both familiar and upsetting to a Macon-Muriel-Sarah menage.

How this trio resolves the situation is filled with wonderful and literate conversations between characters which ring true to the adult situation of marriage and changing lives, goals, and the unexpected. For an American film this kind of complex story telling is almost a lost art in today's car chase, adolescent fart humour, and situational absurdities. However, with long silences and occasional comic relief from the dog, the film is both contemplative and entertaining as it unfolds with bittersweet truisms.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Never let yourself be lulled into a false sense of security, says Hurt
MarieGabrielle7 February 2006
as he writes his travel column. His column is a metaphor for being the "passive observer" who travels and critiques places, but never truly appreciates them...not until Geena Davis comes along, at any rate.

Hurt plays Macon Leary, a man who has existed, but not truly experienced life. Kathleen Turner is the estranged wife, due to the accidental death of their young son, a tragedy which causes Hurt to withdraw. As another reviewer mentioned, one should watch this excellent film several times, as there is much innuendo and insight into human behavior. Bill Pullman portrays Hurt's publisher, who is amused and intrigued by his eccentric family.

What a cast! Ed Begley Jr., Amy Wright, Hurt and David Ogden Stiers are all siblings (over age 40), who still live in their grandmother's house, complete with 1930's wallpaper, a pantry that is alphabetically organized by the sister, and a phone that is never answered because they "don't need it". Pullman is priceless as he visits Hurt for dinner, and falls in love with Rose (Amy Wright) for her old-fashioned persona.

Macon's dog is comic relief, but also the liaison with Geena Davis, an offbeat dog-trainer. She is quite good, and insinuates her way into Macon's ordered world. She is a single mother struggling, and Robert Hy Gorman is excellent as her young son, Alexander. Macon finds himself growing attached to Davis, her son, and her wayward life. He helps the son with schoolwork, and realizes he can still be open to new relationships. Even after all the tragedy.

Kathleen Turner attempts reconciliation,and offers Macon a stable ordered life of commonality. Davis offers instability, excitement and unpredictability. Which will he choose? This is not just a romantic drama, it is a serious character study about control, relationships, and difficult choices. It is one of the few films in which the difficulties of marriage are sensitively addressed, and the acting is superb.
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cinematographic pearl.
THX 11385 February 2002
I agree to almost every word reviewer Takatomon wrote. One of this movie's greatest merits is that it deals with issues in life in a unpolished and natural way. It's easy to understand how this movie can be overlooked by the majority of viewers as this movie isn't for the majority of viewers. That is, the majority that's expecting to be entertained in the Hollywood style of film making. With that I mean those "strong" performances we all want to see from characters as Hoffman in "Rain Man" or Hanks in "Forrest Gump". Or vast visuals, filmed in the broadest scope, or action packed sequences. Not in "The Accidental Tourist". What you do get is William Hurt in what I think is one of his best roles as Macon Leary, writer of travel guides and Geena Davis in an exquisite role as the pet store owner. I've admired actors for the way they can portray mentally or socially challenged people (Rainman, Forrest Gump, Of mice and men, etc.). These parts tend to win the Oscars. But I'd rather give one to Hurt for his portrayal of Macon Leary because this character doesn't show obvious signs of any handicap. Actually Macon is very plain. What can be more difficult than acting out a role of a person who's personal qualities don't jump at you right away? "The Accidental Tourist" is a movie of high quality and should be given a fair chance.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hurt's performance a minimalist masterpiece
reignsong18 May 2001
Hurt expresses more with the slightest movement on his face than most actors do with pages of dialogue. An achingly beautiful portrait of a man trapped within himself, struggling at once to stay in and get out
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasing concoction of light drama and lively romance with terrific leading performances.
Silverzero11 April 2003
Usually films about recovery after tragedy are very heavy-handed and sometimes slightly manipulative (Ordinary People etc.). But `The Accidental Tourist' manages to simultaneously be humane to this subject manner and take a more entertaining light approach to it. The script moves along at a slow pace, but it is consistent in its timing.

A drama without good acting is nothing, and that'' where `The Accidental Tourist' really capitalises. William Hurt was a great choice as the depressed downbeat man, recently divorced and still feeling the repercussions of his son's death. Kathleen Turner appears at the start of the movie only to hastily disappear and then make a mark halfway through. Even though she could have done with bit more screen-time, she is also brilliant as the equally depressed ex-wife.

But Geena Davis really takes advantage of each moment and lights up every scene she's in. She's perfectly cast as the kitschy, free-spirited dog trainer and was well deserving of her `Best Supporting Actress' Oscar win. There's some genuine support from the supporting players including Bill Pullman, Amy Wright and David Ogden Stiers. But they don't receive much limelight, nor do they demand it.

At the halfway mark the movie turns into more of a muchly familiar dilemma, of choosing between two women. Either moving on with your life or hanging onto memories while you still can. This has been used many times before but it is handled very well here.

With terrific performances, a compelling script and a good narrative, `The Accidental Tourist' hits a bullseye in all categories. It engages the audience in it gentle yet charming manner. 7.5/10.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredibly moving
Parker Lewis16 September 2016
I read Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant but haven't read The Accidental Tourist. Still, this movie is a masterpiece, and William Hurt displays his top quality acting skills, especially the scene where he's called to identify his deceased son at the morgue. His facial expression says it all. That scene alone is worthy of three Oscars, and should be shown to all acting students. Why William Hurt didn't even get an Oscar nomination for this role is a mystery for the ages I guess (I say that with due respect to those nominated of course).

Another scene is where Macon attempts to explain to his siblings Rose, Porter and Charles, why he has kept the corgi. When we flashback to Macon's son having a wonderful time with corgi, nothing needs to be said, and Rose, Porter and Charles understand with much sympathy. It brings a tear to the eye.

I don't know if they makes movies like The Accidental Tourist anymore, as I guess Fast and the Furious and comic book heroes dominate the cinematic landscape (not that I'm being condescending of course). But this movie is timeless.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its no accident that many folks, including me, adore this great gem of a movie!
Amy Adler13 January 2016
In Baltimore, Macon (William Hurt) is a writer of travel books called, what else, The Accidental Tourist. His premise is that his advice will help people travel without being extremely homesick. Alas, Macon is hurting at this time, due to the untimely death of his only son. As his wife, Sarah (Kathleen Turner) has moved out, also, too grief stricken to continue their marriage, Macon is left with his son's upset dog as a companion. He occasionally visits the family home nearby, where his single sister, Rose, takes care of her two bachelor brothers. One morning, panic ensues. Macon is starting a journey to Europe and he is refused dog boarding at his usual place, as the canine bit someone last time. In a quandary, the writer spies a vet's office which also boards. Although he has no appointment, the unusual clerk, Muriel (Geena Davis) takes the dog. But, oh, when Macon returns, he finds that Muriel wants to "train" his dog and has set her sights on going out with Macon, too! The writer tries to discourage her in every way, but the lady prevails. Soon, Macon is constantly at her urban apartment, where she barely makes ends meet, as she is also a single mother to a son, Alexander. Muriel, however, is an eccentric woman, who makes Macon smile but who is the subject of ridicule to his brothers and ex-wife. In fact, Sarah makes another play for her former hubby. Meanwhile, Macon's editor, Julian (Bill Pullman) has been courting sister Rose. Will Macon abandon Muriel, who dearly loves him, for a return to his former wife? This lovely film is a life-affirming masterpiece. We love, we lose, we grieve, and we reconnect. Love also comes when we least expect it, at times. As the writer, Hurt is excellent, with a carefully nuanced performance. Turner, Pullman, and the others do great work, too. In her Oscar winning role, Davis gives the performance of a lifetime as the funny, offbeat Muriel. Then, too, the setting in Baltimore is most interesting, as well as a spell in beautiful Paris. Costuming is most noteworthy here as Muriel's outfits are sublimely ridiculous while everyone else is sedately, classically clad. Finally, the dazzling story, based on a book by Anne Tyler, and the wonderful direction by Kazdan combine for a unique film experience. Do NOT leave it to accident to view this great one. Make plans and soon.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My brief review of the film
sol-8 January 2005
A fairly well done human drama about relationships, which manages to tackle the subject matter without becoming a romance, this is a superb film of its sort. The screenplay is excellently written, full of witty humour and biting satire, the film editing is admirable and the performances are excellent. Geena Davis won an Oscar for her role, but it is in fact William Hurt who stands out the most in the cast, in an unflinching but somehow amazingly poignant role. On the down side, the film is slow, a bit too meandering, and the final quarter is not really all that interesting, but overall it is an involving, very worthwhile watch.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too subtle for the average viewer...
bill-4617 October 2002
But if you're smart and sensitive like I am you will love this film. Might be William Hurt's most simple, but complete acting job ever. Geena Davis (and maybe Hurt also,) are just a tiny bit too attractive in this film, but they are both such good actors that they pull you into their pain, hope and need for human contact and win in the end. Bill Pullman plays a deeper and richer character than any I've personally ever seen him play since. Macon's family is real (I don't care what Joe Average Typical American Family says,) and endearing. Edward is the best movie dog ever.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best movies i have ever seen
leonjoel11 December 2004
the Accidental Tourist is among the best movies ever made in the world.Maybe it is not absolutely the best, but as to me it is the most well understood one. that probably is the reason why i love it so much. When i watched it, i can even felt what Macon Leary was feeling inside---i could feel the complicated mood when he called Sarah in his hotel in Paris, i can understand that his heart has already belonged to Muriel when he said it's OK to Sarah, who asked for his opinion on the newly bought sofa. he was a captious guy!and i can also read his heart when he close the door to Muriel, not willing to take her on his trip the next morning. Also i can read the deep love for Muriel on his smiling face when he met Muriel at the gate of the hotel at the end of the movie. I can't agree with some people who think this movie lacks energy. it might appear to lack, but u could have felt the passion in their hearts if u can understand them. this remind me of another movie--Once Upon A Time In America, which is also said to lack energy, but i can feel the great passion in Noodles and Deborah's heart when they "quietly" meet in the bar after Noodle was released from the jail. only a few words from Deborah can make me feel that! Just as sometimes the clothes do not make the man, sometimes the movie is not what it appears! there is seldom any good movies from which we can not feel the passion!
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
glacial pace
Roedy Green26 August 2012
The DVD cover bills this as "astonishingly, irresistibly funny". Edward the dog is funny, but the people are not.

From the title, you would think the movie revolved around travel, but the only travel is a visit to a mundane hotel room in France you don't get to leave.

The big problem with this movie is the central character Macon is unsympathetic. He is boring, rude, insensitive, self-centred. He is pathologically passive. He speaks in a taciturn monotone. His job it taking the adventure of of travel, writing guides on where to find Burger King and MacDonalds outlets in Europe.

There are three romantic relationships in the movie. I could not not for the life of me see what any of the parties saw in any of the others.

That created some humour, Geena Davis's dogged pursuit of William Hurt who always responded like a limp dishrag.

It was a very frustrating movie. I wanted ANYTHING to happen to break the tedium of watching people going about their very boring lives.

There is only one scene in the movie that really touches the heart, when Macon sees a French boy who resembles his murdered son, but you have to wait to almost the end for it.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
YouMustSee
adrianoelvas6 August 2008
Truly majestic! William Hurt is simple, clean and emotionally straight! True smiles; true looks; true feelings.

Great acting, great story! 10 for everyone in this masterpiece.

The dog is well fit, the emotions are synchronized during the whole movie.

Also a surprising end. All actors received "lines" from the sky.

The director is very competent and clever. He was able to put all the pieces together and each one in the right place. This movie is indicated for all those whom have a refined taste for good acting and beautiful storyboard.

Its a pity but movies like this one are not made anymore. Unfortunately.

I hope in a close future we receive more gifts alike this one. I just downloaded and went through it all, even after a full and tiring day of work and almost falling asleep; when i pressed Play i couldn't stop going through it all!

YouMustSee.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Accidental Tourist
despaina10 March 2008
Upon seeing this movie again, 20 years later, I find the same feelings I have now as I did then. This movie was quirky in 1988, just as it is in 2008, but the crux of the film remains solid 20 years later. Just as a segment in the Special Features section of the DVD is entitled "Just Like Life", so is this movie. Anyone who has ever experienced any significant loss of someone dear to them can relate how it completely changes your life and who you are. "The Accidental Tourist" reaches into the core of grief, and the need for a second-chance at life, and how someone very special can help one get there.

Obviously, Geena Davis's performance is completely note-worthy and her performance also works well with the other characters, like the Leary family. She is a survivor and is a flip-side of the Learys, showing us how important change is in life and the spark one can provide someone like Macon, to not remain stagnant in life, but to move on and progress.

At 18 years old, I saw "The Accidental Tourist" in a movie theater and not knowing much about relationships, something about this movie touched me. I believe that it was, and still is, the power of change and the bright future we all can achieve, even in the hardest of times.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the great American films of the last 20 years
d-walker73319 January 2004
At last,the dvd has arrived and it is a pure joy from start to finish.I was 21 when I first saw this film at the theatre and I knew it was good then,but now,a little older and wiser,I consider it a masterpiece.William Hurt's performance is mesmerising and Geena Davis is at her best.The dvd has 14 deleted scenes and I do feel sorry for Kathleen Turner,as some of her best work is on the cutting room floor.If you enjoy a real actor's movie,then this will not disappoint.The last 5 minutes,with marvellous John Williams underscoring,is sheer perfection.How this did not win best picture I shall never know.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I could not make it through
WildBill-1524 July 1999
Take my review for what it is worth, but I could not make it through "The Accidental Tourist." I have turned off only a half dozen cassettes in my VCR-viewing career. After about an hour, I decided my life was too short to see this movie through.

Why couldn't I abide this film? For the most part, I could not care less about the characters. Quirky characters amuse me, but feeble people do not. I have never much enjoyed any Woddy Allen comedy in the last 25 years because I always want to pummel the whiner that Woody plays. William Hurt [whose work I usually enjoy] plays just such a weenie in this film.

Sorry!
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the perfect drama
tthomaslew7621 May 2004
Nowadays, relationship movies are simple. The characters are underdeveloped. The plots are either unrealistic or extreme. The actors and actresses too over the top. Fortunately this movies does not follow that pattern. From the beginning, William Hurt is a predictable cynic who plans everything. Towards the end there is a gradual change in him. Courtesy of Geena Davis through her aggressive yet subtle pursuit of him. Yet he can't help but slip right back into the old groove. The movie like Hurt himself is a bit distant but it works extremely well here. There is also a classical ending and great final score. Possibly the best serious relationship movie ever. Watch it and enjoy!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent film that may be fading from memory
Tony Mastrogiorgio1 April 2004
Quick: what movie am I describing?

An eccentric writer is rescued from emotional isolation by a working class woman with a chronically sick son. A small dog plays a key role in the story.

Chances are you thought of As Good As It Gets, with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. The comparison is interesting for a number of reasons. FOr one, it shows how essentially the same logline or story concept can be treated very differently. But more interesting is that the comparison shows the lack of depth in the admittedly enjoyable As Good As It Gets.

Take for example, the children. Hunt's son suffers from chronic allergies and she is constantly frazzled with worry about him. Having introduced this heavy theme, you might expect the story to revolve around this emotional issue. Instead, Dr. Harold Ramis shows up unexpectedly (summoned by Nicholson) and--a bad joke about HMO's later--the boy is cured.

In Accidental Tourist, William Hurt plays the writer of travel books for people who hate to travel. He gives them tips on how to travel in their own portable cocoon. Yet his life is shattered (before the film begins) when his son is gunned down at a McDonalds in a random shooting. This withdrawn man withdraws even more, finishing off his marriage. Yet when Geena Davis forces her way into his life he begins to connect again. But she has a chronically sick boy. (She explains, almost blithely, at one point the number of things that could kill him or put him in the hospital.) There is a wonderful moment when Hurt finds the lonely boy walking home from school (being ignored by his friends). They chat a moment, then Hurt's voice over (which frequently quotes from his travel books in ironic contrast to the story) says, "Business travelers should never take along something they couldn't bear to lose." As the voice over says that, the little boy's hand slips into Hurts and they walk home together.

It's a small, wonderful moment. There are no miracle cures from super doctors. Instead there is the acceptance that love requires risk, that you have to accept the possibility of loss. It's a deep, mature, moving film, wonderfully acted, that also manages to be funny without sacrificing any of its depth. It is Lawrence Kasdan's best film and deserves renewed interest.

PS: The similarities between As Good As It Gets and The Accidental Tourist cannot have escaped James L Brooks attention. After all, he cast Kasdan in a cameo as Nicholson's shrink. Yet as far as I know, I have never seen a critic comment on the similarities.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Geena Is Good But That's All
ccthemovieman-118 March 2006
Once again, I found a movie I really enjoyed the first time I saw it, and then years later lost interest during the middle of the second viewing and never finished it. On that second look, frankly, I just found it boring.

The only appealing character in the film is the one played by Geena Davis, who plays a "kinky" person, which made her interesting to watch. I didn't like the fact Kathleen Turner's character left her husband for selfish reasons, which seems to be okay, according to the script. ("You didn't give ME enough support when our kid was killed, so I am leaving.") Wow, another plug for making marriage into a joke.
14 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hurt / Turner together again
caspian197829 June 2002
You can't help but think back to Body Heat when you watch Hurt & Turner in the Accidental Tourist. Unlike Body Heat, we see the two as a struggling married couple. The exact opposite from their roles in the passion play movie of the early 1980's. Two amazing actors, the film gets more character drivin as Turner's character brings more and more to her role as the story unfolds. All in all, it is a wonderful look into the lives of 3 people who are living their lives in the past, hoping for a better future. Believe it or not, I recommend this movie for a good "date" picture for boy friend and girl friend. Give it a look to see how your "partner" reads the film.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bravo!
DeeDee-1016 July 1999
An beautifully crafted screenplay for a sharp, moving, gentle film. Great performances by all. Scenes that stand out especially: the turkey dinner; the close-up Davis and Hurt embracing as he opens his grieving heart to her.

What a cute, well-trained dog!

I'll be watching this film again.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bitter sweet symphony
yvon-botcazou30 October 2005
Accidental Tourist ranks in my top 20 films. I loved it so much that I saw it about eight times in three months at its french release in Paris in 1987. I was first very moved with the story, then amazed by the performance of the actors and I loved the musical score from John Williams. What I love in this film is the mix between melancholy and humor, together with the very smart analysis of human relations. Geena Davis offers such a strong contrast with the personality of the Leary family's members ! The scene where I laughed most is the moment when Macon Leary's sister and brother are unpacking the shopping in the kitchen. The brother hands the goods to his sister by... alphabetical order ! So, I wanted to know more and I bought the Anne Tyler novel. That was the second very good surprise : the film is so faithful to the book, in its words and in its spirit. I recommend the book very warmly as a prolongation of the vision of the film. A bit like two other favorite films : The World according to Garp and the Empire of the Sun. Accidental Tourist is very much in the same mood as The big Chill and Grand Canyon, that I really love. But I was disappointed by the following films of Lawrance Kasdan. But Accidental Tourist is a must. Unfortunately, it is not released in France, the DVD is available only for the zone 1. Let's hope it will be available soon !
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A subtle and lovely film
mwardf26 June 2005
This is a film that engages you. It's an old plot but it is beautifully done, (even the child is not unnecessarily intrusive). There are also great cameos and an intriguing sub plot - it is not to be missed.

The direction is subtle and well judged and the use of scene is very sophisticated in places. The director handles the three stars very well and they respond, as you would expect, in consistent and persuasive performances. Hurt is so achingly lost that you want to scream at him. Davis is wonderful as the saviour and her sensitivity is there for all to see. Turner plays her role in a way that allows for the unexpected revelation of her humanity.

This is a film that could have degenerated into utter tripe in the wrong hands but it doesn't and it is a triumph - it is difficult to understand why it is something of a lost gem.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this