Who's That Girl (1987) Poster

I might be beaten for this...
BHorrorWriter1 October 2001
...But I like this movie....

Critics hate it...Fans hate it....I think even the cast of this movie probably hate themselves for being in it...But i can't help it...I find it to be silly, good humor that always makes me laugh...Madonna is showing us a different side of her, true this was 14 years ago..but still..she was very amusing to watch...

7 out of 10
65 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie that deserves another look
utgard146 June 2022
A reworking of a screwball comedy classic, Bringing Up Baby, with Madonna of all people shouldn't work. This one somehow does, thanks mostly to the two leads. Yes, Madonna is a limited actress and not every scene is perfect, but she does an admirable job bringing a fun and likable character to life. Most importantly it doesn't just feel like she's playing herself. The criminally underrated Griffin Dunne deserves a lot of praise, as well. He was my favorite part of the movie. I think he elevates the material and gets the best out of Madonna in their scenes together. I wish he had done more crazy comedies like this because he's very good at it.

It's not a flawless film and I certainly understand the complaints. The fair ones, at least, not the petty ones. But it's a very fun comedy with a quick pace and likable actors. What's Up Doc is still probably the best modern screwball comedy I've seen but this one is nothing to dismiss. Try to leave preconceptions about Madonna or the film's reputation at the door and give it a fair shot. I think you'll be happily surprised.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Madonna as herself
caspian197820 June 2004
The singer / icon known as Madonna in the 1980's was Nikki Finn. The outrageous and very funny little girl with a sketchy past could only be played Madonna. Who's that Girl is a romantic comedy about two completely different who end up falling in love under the most unusual circumstances. Although its not a great comedy, the story is genuine and the acting holds up. Surprisingly, Madonna does not use her sexuality as much as she has in the past and in future films. Her funniness and charm wins over the audience. Although she is very sexy, she does not use her eye candy to draw the audience. A coming of age drama in the sense that Madonna is growing up and trying to break away from her past. In the end, the movie showcases Madonna as an actress and not the singer. Not since Desperately Seeking Susan two years before, that a film took a chance to promote Madonna off the stage (music) and onto the big screen as a comedic actress.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's hilarious!
Eki755 May 2019
It's mindless, 80's fun. One of my favorites. Madonna's obnoxious Nikki Finn is over the top and funny, but she gives her a certain depth that critics don't give her credit for. She's not Meryl doing Shakespeare, but no one should expect her to be. Griffin Dunne was perfectly neurotic (and quite handsome). The absurdity of Wendy Williams is one of my favorite parts-how all these random people have "had her," how she's more concerned with how the coop interview is going than the fact she's being held at knife point, etc. It's absurdist comedy gold.

The Nikki / Louden love scene at the arboretum with Madonna dressed as Marilyn is the only part of the story that didn't work for me. Otherwise, the writing is pretty solid for screwball comedy.

Madonna's music in the film is iconic, and I argue it was her best musical period.

All in all, it's totally enjoyable, quite funny, and very watchable.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable lightweight comedy
Tweekums24 June 2017
Things should be going well for lawyer Loudon Trott as he is due to get married to the daughter of one of New York's wealthiest men the next day; he just has to do a couple of things first… pick up a cat and then drive a woman to the bus station. Neither go according to plan; the cat is some sort of endangered cougar and the woman, Nikki Finn, has just been released from prison and wants to do a few things before catching her bus such as getting a gun in Harlem and acquiring the evidence to prove that she didn't murder her boyfriend. This means getting a safety deposit box number from the actual murderer before she can learn who he was working for.

This is a fairly lightweight film but that doesn't stop it being rather fun. There are plenty of laughs and some decent comedy action. Madonna is a lot of fun as the slightly punky Nikki; as Laudon states in the film she is a real force of nature. Griffin Dunne is also good as the uptight Laudon; his character is far less 'in your face' but still provides some good laughs. While it is these two who carry the film the rest of the cast are pretty good too. The ending is entirely predictable but that isn't really a problem as all about how we get to that ending. Overall I wouldn't say this is a must see film but if you want a decent, inoffensive '80s comedy you could do a lot worse.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than most of the recent "comedies" that focus on "gross-out" humor.
actiontalent29 January 2002
Admittedly I was only 13 years old when I first saw this movie (in the theater), but it has always been one of my favorites.

The story line was held together with some of the best lines. (I still quote them today). Madonna gets slammed for so many reasons, this movie should not be one of them. She and Griffin Dunne made a fun, quirky couple. It did not pretend to be anything than what it was, and who can find fault with that?

This movie was part farce, part mystery (okay, not up to Agatha Christie standards) and part romantic comedy. It was no worse than most films that fall into the romantic comedy genre, if anything it is one of the better ones.

For those of you out there who hate Madonna, by all means avoid this film, why torture yourself? But for anyone who likes her, or just wants to see a light, fluffy story with some great music (let's hear it for Scritti Politti)then "Who's That Girl" is a fun, nostalgic trip that will have you laughing in no time.

Laugh at Buck, the delivery driver, or Griffin Dunne in that top hat and tails, and who could forget the bridesmaids, having been kidnapped and tied together, hitting on the cops? I'm laughing just thinking about it.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics were wrong on this one: good fast nonthink fun
gridoon20236 January 2020
Energetic farce with fast pacing, fun 1980s music, some great vehicular stunts, and one of Madonna's better performances; she makes her kooky, flaky character real. And even though it requires little to no thinking, it still manages to satirize New York's Upper West Side high society more successfully than a more pretentious movie would. Ignore the critics and give this one a chance; it's fun. **1/2 out of 4.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly, but I can't help but like it
LuckyFour-LeafClover26 July 2020
I'd consider myself a Madonna fan and have fond memories of watching this movie whenever it used to come on Comedy Central. The storyline is a bit silly but it's endearing. It's a fun movie. Nikki and Griffin Dunne's character made a good team with their opposite personalities. I liked the subtle jabs made at rich people as well.

Sam Goody and the old New York City were nice to see as well.

Some good Madonna songs featured as well in it, Who's That Girl, The Look of Love, Don't Stop, and Causing a Commotion.
underrated
kcfl23 February 2002
The critics pile on most post-"Desperately" Madonna comedies, but this was not at all bad. It's a latter-day "Bringing Up Baby," and it's no insult to the memory of Hawks, Grant and Hepburn to say this was almost as good. Not ringing praise, but I think fans of screwball owe it to themselves to see it. Madonna's Golden Globe for "Evita" and stunning film debut in "Susan" were no fluke; she is quite funny here. Griffin Dunne is a worthy foil, as she brings out his best performance. I defy non-Grinches not to laugh when she pulls a "Knock Knock" joke at a staid coop board meeting. See it.
30 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Preposterous Caper-Romantic-Comedy Featuring Murray The Jungle Cat.
J_Batek_II3 June 2019
The current IMDB rating for this film is 4.7. I'm not sure what those people were expecting when they watched this film, but it is much better at what it tries to do than a film cursed with a 4.7 rating. This is a slap-stick romantic comedy, patterned after hundreds of similar films from the 1950's through the 1970's. And, compared to other similar films of the genres, it's very good.

Perhaps those other reviewers wanted an 80's Madonna music video or a G-rated vehicle to push her music - this is not a marketing device for Madonna's music. You don't hear a Madonna song until the closing credits.

Lost in a 4.7 rating (and a near 40 year career in entertainment) is that Madonna is great in this film. She is unique, sexy without trying too hard, and very funny.

So, compare this to other slap-stick rom-coms featuring Kate Hudson or Katherine Heigl or Lucile Ball or any of the 100 other actresses that have made this type of film. When fairly compared against similar films from any era, 'Who's That Girl' (1987) stands on it's own as funny, light-hearted comedy.

RealReview Posting Scoring Criteria: Acting - 1/1; Casting - 1/1; Directing - 1/1; Story - 1/1; Writing/Screenplay - 1/1;

Total Base Score = 5

Modifiers (+ or -): Standout Performances: +1 ( Madonna );

Quotability: +1;

Total RealReview Rating: 7
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I despise mean hateful people
miketurner-1601523 March 2022
This is actually a very good screwball comedy where Madonna shows a different side of her skills no she is not bad at all and the movie is very engaging and very funny there too many conservatives that just have things up their anus and sadly a lot of them are reviewing this picture with venom and hatred.... Madonna is not Meryl Streep she isn't trying to be she's the entertainer who is trying to entertain and that's what this movie does point blank don't listen to critics please judge for yourself I loved it.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who's laughing out loud? Anyone who sees this film!
inkblot113 November 2005
Nicole Finn (Madonna) is just being released from prison. Although she is ordered to go by bus to Philadelphia, she wants to stick around the place she was arrested. This is because she claims she has information that would clear her record. Louden (Griffin Dunne) is assigned to escort her to the bus by his future father in law. Louden will be driving around the city anyway (in his future mother in law's Rolls Royce), picking up the wedding ring and a rare big, big cat for an eccentric collector. Nicki, however, starts the ensuing mayhem as soon as she jumps in the Rolls to take over the driving. Between big cats, taxi drivers, hit men, bridesmaids, and a wedding cake with guns, lawyer Louden knows he's not in Kansas anymore. Is there a way out of the madness? This film is a wild trip down comedy avenue. Madonna and Dunneare perfect foils to each other, making their connection uproarious, as they play out their roles as an ex-con and an uptight, button-down lawyer, respectively. The script is laudable in it's ability to send the viewer into fits of hysteria as one implausible scene gives way to the next one, and the next. Everything secondary, from the supporting actors to the scenery to the costumes, are also quite nice. If you know someone who is in need of a jolt of joy, rent this movie for them. You will both be cheerio pronto.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as its reputation
Boyo-210 June 2002
I saw this movie the day it opened in NYC, at the Ziegfield. At the time Madonna was not quite the cultural icon she is now. She had a couple of hits, was very good in "Desparately Seeking Susan" and I had tickets to see her in concert at Giants Stadium.

"Who's That Girl?" gives Madonna an actual role to play, which is not just a variation of her own personality. She does the madcap/heroine routine better than you might think. Griffin Dunne is very well cast as the man around to witness all the shenanigans.

The story involves a huge cat named Murray, a bride-to-be who has slept with every cabbie in NYC, a mean father-in-law, and a key. There are a lot of car chases and cops trailing their path. All the elements of a screwball comedy intact.

Sir John Mills is seen briefly. He shares a glass of champagne with the leads and has the greatest apartment on the Upper West Side, complete with a rain forest and everything.

Compared to most Madonna movies (the ones I've been able to tolerate anyway), this is fantastic. On its own, its not that bad. 6/10.

PS The concert was lousy.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been a hit!
madonnajay23 July 2022
This is a fun, amusing, quirky quintessential 80s Comedy! Madonna is excellent and funny as Nikki Finn, a blonde bombshell, wisecracking ex con out to clear her name. Madonna totally inhabits the screwball character of Miss Fin with lots of sass, attitude and amusing lines. Great 80s Edwin fun!
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't help it. I like this film!
flicklover1 December 2018
I had seen this film when it came out in 1987. I had liked it because it was light and funny. I hadn't seen it in a long time but my daughter wanted to see so I popped the DVD in and nothing has changed. I am fully aware that this film bombed and was ravaged by critics, but I can't deny that I like it! It is the only film that Madonna has acted in that I like.

It is a screwball comedy that's for sure. Madonna plays Nikki Finn, a convict that is getting out of prison on parole after 4 years that she was found guilty if killing her boyfriend. A wealthy man that has an interest in making sure she get on a bus to her hometown of Philadelphia after she gets out of prison. He asks his soon to be son in law to drive her to the bus station to make sure she gets on the bus. The son in law named Louden is a lawyer at his form and is played by Griffin Dunne. He also needs to.pick up a cougar that belongs to one of his clients. Once he gets to the prison to pick Nikki up she drives him crazy. She makes him let her drive his mother in law's Roles Royce and then ditches him in the hospital after he has an anxiety attack from her crazy driving. He later gets out and catches up to her in a bad neighborhood buying a gun. All he wants is to take her to the bus but she pleads with him help her clear her name by telling him she did not kill her boyfriend. She has key to a safe deposit box but needs to find a pump named Raul to get the bank name and box number. All of this is played as ridiculous screwball comedy. Though I have never thought that Madonna was a good actress she goes all out to play Nikki and it fits her persona. She does use a sort of annoying voice playing her but after a while it's actually endearing. The chemistry between Madonna and Dunne is also good. He of course plays the straight arrow nerdy guy that at first can't stand Nikki. They go around New York City to find the evidence to clear Nikki and she creates mess after mess for him. It's really funny how the two play off of each other. Well of course they end up falling in love.

It may not be a very good but I have seen much worse romantic comedies than this one. Also the soundtrack has some very good songs from Madonna, especially the title track. So it may be in the guilty pleasure category but I really enjoy this film.

Grade: B-
Lovely, perfect, fantastic!
Jatoy6 October 2003
I had seen this movie before, but I could not remember it was this fantastic: it has a fun plot, Madonna fumbles around the city with pumas etc. causing a commotion. And the music is just perfect! And the happy ending! Who´s that girl is a great choice for a romanticist like me. In my opinion this could be even the best Madonna movie I have ever seen! 10/10
Very cute, i love it!
sony-624 December 1999
This movie is so good! I first seen it when i was six, then i bought it recently and i still love it, im 15 now. Plus, the acting was great, and Madonna is my idol and she did a phat job! Alot of people didnt like this movie, and i still to this day dont understand why.
Madonna steered film
videorama-759-8593912 October 2017
I can't understand why Madonna cops so much flack as a bad actress. I really don't. She's really good here, and her zesty and enthusiastic performance makes the film worth watching, where only few other actresses, could of pulled off the role, but not as good as Madonna, so again, lets scratch that Razzie s..t out. Here, she's not your typical young girl, or typical anything. She's just been released from prison, after a four year stint, where she was set up. Assigned to drive her to a bus station, workaholic lawyer (Dunne, really good) encounters a kind of detour, or more correctly, derailment, where in the following hours, poor Dunne, is subject to one hell of a adventure, involving thieving, shootouts, chases, feigning heart attacks, and a very big cat (ha ha). The movie has a couple of amusing moments, involving marriage ceremonies, car stripping, prudish socialites, and Southern in hospitality, plus one butt ugly female warden, who's an arch enemy of Madonna's. We also have the fastest reaction to a tiger, you'll ever see. Even a Dirty Harry favorite and Jerry Seinfeld's mother, show up in this cute little film, or some would say time passer, where Madonna's talents are most of the reason to see it. She is so cute, and sexy loose here, in how she carries herself, bringing yet another interesting and vivacious character to the screen, better than the Norris's, Stallone's Arnie's, Seagal's, etc. Dunne held his own good too. The moral of the story here, regarding the right girl, has been used many times, so you know how this will pan out. Watch this film purely for Madonna, and see why she makes this film, a really good performance in a film that's not. Disappointing, if you regard the director here, who usually makes better films. A director I admire.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good light hearted fun
evans-j3427 February 2015
OK I can't believe this film has only got a 4 on her its defo the 7 I gave it. I really liked this film as a kid & then my kids liked it too when they saw it a few year back I've just rewatched it not sure what to expect & this film has had me giggling & also realising Madonna is quite a good actor, & reminds me why this queen of the 80s was so loved back then, her music & performance was so fun & full of life back then she's lost that over the years, he she plays Nicky Finn cute ditsy bad girl, occasional you see her sexy woman side pop throughso charismatic, this film is full of funny moments yes its silly & far fetched but love it & the soundtrack music by Madonna, a film filled with only happy moments, goofy mobster, crazy elites sweet lawyers bimbo bridesmaids jungle women & panagodian tigers :)
one of the best 80's movies
jimmyplm16 March 1999
Why does everyone feel they have to constantly put this movie down? It is cute and funny (exactly what it is meant to be). Madonna wasn't out to prove herself as an Oscar calliber artist with this movie anyhow! She was just doing what the character called for, and she did it well. I loved her in this movie; it is my second favorite Madonna movie after Evita. The soundtrack is excellent too. It is no better or no worse than any cheesy 80's flick. To all the critics, just don't take it so seriously and you might have fun watching it. Madonna is a goddess!!!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Nikki Finn
HarlequeenStudio20 June 2017
I love this film! Shoot me, I love it. It's a great screwball comedy. Madonna plays herself. There's something about the platinum blonde hair that's simply enchanting. I even love her big, bushy eyebrows. Nikki Finn is such a cool character. She jumps across the rooftops, runs the streets with a cougar and crashes one stuck up bitch's wedding. I want every one of her outfits! No wonder Madonna stole them all and went on to her big Who's That Girl tour. Of course, she wrote some incredible music for the film, like the title track and one of my favorite ballads, the hauntingly beautiful "The Look of Love".
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good comedy and Madonna such a fun to watch!
laptoppclaptop22 May 2016
I do not understand at all, why this comedy got so much criticism. I love this little comedy, it is so full of fun and I also love Madonnas character. So whole-hearthedly I give it 7. I think everything in this movie comes together very well: the funny idea, directing and acting. Madonna is brilliant as revenge-seeking Nikki Finn, a girl who is a funny mixture of childishness, craziness, other-worldliness and sex-appeal. The funniest bit is when she climbs over the fence in a leather jacket and a tutu, to save her one true love. Madonna is not afraid to be totally silly in this role and really becomes the character she is playing.

I saw it first time on a day when I was very very sad and down, on the edge of breakdown, and this little comedy made my day. When finished watching, instead of tears of sadness I had tears from laughter on my face. I whole heartedly recommend this. And yes, Madonna can act - not just in this movie, in other ones too!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An underrated film
deralexanderda15 August 2021
I admit that I'm a huge Madonna fan; ever since the 80's; when I wasn't even yet a teenager. I find it frustrating that every film she is in is disparaged simply because of her involvement.

My mum has never even 'liked' Madonna; but had to put up with me playing her music at full volume for a lot of years, and even she likes and laughs (appropriately) along with "Desperately Seeking Susan", "Who's That Girl?", "Shanghai Surprise" and so many more.

Madonna has been seen as an easy target for a long long time. But if you actually take the time to watch her performances, objectively; you will be pleasantly surprised. The movies already mentioned, as well as Body Of Evidence, Dick Tracy, A League Of Their Own, Evita, The Next Best Thing show that she is NOT as bad an actress as the mindless masses would have you believe.

Even my mum likes her, as well as my 13yr old niece; So don't listen to or believe the spineless "so called critics" who jumped on the bandwagon through the 80's, 90's & 00's. Be honest with yourself and don't be a sheep.
A Diamond in the rough
w0nderbear28 December 1999
This movie is one of my favs...It is a screwball comedy, and for those not familiar with the formula will probably not get this movie, definitely in the same vein as "Bringing Up Baby" or "What's Up Doc" (coincidentally, BUB was also a flop in its original release, but was rediscovered as a classic confection of the screwball comedy). In other words, this movie is a check your brain at the door movie, and just have some fun, no redeeming quality, other than to take you on a great trip...I recommend this movie to any fan of wild comedy (and it is easy to forget your watching Madonna, she is really good in this movie)...
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All right, look. I know nobody likes it...
sarcastababe18 January 2001
...but I am sorry. I dig this movie. I cannot help it. I admire Madonna greatly for her staying power; by some people's standards, Madonna has been around forever, and EVERYONE knows who she is. My take is this: kooky Nikki Finn dragging pathetically straightlaced Louden Trott all around the city on her own agenda, right after she's gotten out of the joint, is FUNNY. Is this movie immature? Yeah, sometimes. Is it predictable? Yeah, sometimes. Is it a fluffy little film that's regarded by some as a cheesy classic of the eighties? Yep. As Madonna said later, "Why don't you just deal with it?" :)
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.