On the peaceful planet Druidia, King Roland attempts to marry his daughter Princess Vespa to Prince Valium, but Vespa and her loyal droid Dot Matrix escape during her wedding. After wasting the fresh air on the distant planet Spaceball, the good-for-nothing President Skroob orders the archvillain henchman Dark Helmet to kidnap Princess Vespa to force King Roland to provide them with the code to Druidia's atmosphere. Under those circumstances, the seasoned mercenary Lone Starr and his trusty half-human, half-canine sidekick Barf will attempt to save the Princess in distress, while at the same time, the ruthless loan-shark Pizza the Hutt is after them. But in the end, only he who can harness the mystical and mighty force known only as "The Schwartz" will be able to save the day.Written by
According to the article "Spaceballs: The Making" in "Spaceballs: the Official Poster Magazine", four drafts of the screenplay were written over a period of two and a half years before filming began. See more »
The scene where Lone Starr has the Yogurt statue in the air, Barf walks over to the statue and asks "Hey, boss. How'd you do that?" Lone Starr lets the statue drop to the ground and as the statue hits the ground, the head on the statue shakes, showing that the statue is not real. See more »
"Lord Dark Helmet! So we meet again for the first time for the last time!"
Brisk parody of "Star Wars" and other great science fiction films pits Bill Pullman and his man-dog/dog-man partner John Candy against Rick Moranis and Mel Brooks as they try to rescue Princess Daphne Zuniga from the clutches of the evil Space-Balls.
The cast are clearly enjoying themselves and there's a gag almost every minute, mostly notably the Star Wars gags. Some of the best are -
1) Pizza the Hutt
2) The 'Alien' Diner scene with John Hurt ("Oh no... not again!")
3) Yogurt the Yoda clone (also Mel Brooks; "Please, I'm just plain Yogurt.")
4) Dot's "Virgin Alarm" ("Designed to go off before you do.")
5) A pot shot at "Lawrence of Arabia"
6) The 'combing the desert' sequence
7) Rick Moranis 'playing with his toys'
8) The Statue of Liberty Transformer
9) The Planet of the Apes sequence
10) The light saber schwartz duel
11) The guard instructing Bill Pullman on how to properly do the Vulcan nerve pinch.
12) Accidentally capturing the stunt doubles.
13) The quote unquote "sexual tension" between Bill and Daphne.
And many more. Keep an eye out for this one.
"Where're you from?" - Daphne Zuniga
"I don't know. Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy." - Bill Pullman
82 of 113 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this