An American grandson of the infamous scientist, struggling to prove that his grandfather was not as insane as people believe, is invited to Transylvania, where he discovers the process that reanimates a dead body.
After squandering the fresh air in the distant planet Spaceball, the good-for-nothing President Skroob orders the arch-villain henchman, Dark Helmet, to abduct the adjacent planet Druidia's Princess Vespa to strong-arm her father, King Roland, to provide them with the code to the planet's atmosphere. Under those circumstances, the seasoned mercenary, Lone Starr, and his trusty half-human, half canine sidekick, Barf, will attempt to save the princess in distress, while at the same time, the ruthless loan shark, Pizza the Hut is after them. But in the end, only he who can harness the mystical and mighty force known only as "The Schwartz", will be able to save the day.Written by
In the scene where Dark Helmet is dressed in safari clothes searching for Lone Starr and the others with binoculars, he is on top of a floating vehicle. In reality, the vehicle was not floating, nor suspended on wires of any kind, but it was on top of a platform that was surrounded by mirrors that reflected the sand around it, to give it the appearance of floating. See more »
When President Skroob is beamed into the next room with his head reversed, it is obvious that Mel Brooks simply put his costume on backwards because his hands have also been reversed. See more »
"Lord Dark Helmet! So we meet again for the first time for the last time!"
Brisk parody of "Star Wars" and other great science fiction films pits Bill Pullman and his man-dog/dog-man partner John Candy against Rick Moranis and Mel Brooks as they try to rescue Princess Daphne Zuniga from the clutches of the evil Space-Balls.
The cast are clearly enjoying themselves and there's a gag almost every minute, mostly notably the Star Wars gags. Some of the best are -
1) Pizza the Hutt
2) The 'Alien' Diner scene with John Hurt ("Oh no... not again!")
3) Yogurt the Yoda clone (also Mel Brooks; "Please, I'm just plain Yogurt.")
4) Dot's "Virgin Alarm" ("Designed to go off before you do.")
5) A pot shot at "Lawrence of Arabia"
6) The 'combing the desert' sequence
7) Rick Moranis 'playing with his toys'
8) The Statue of Liberty Transformer
9) The Planet of the Apes sequence
10) The light saber schwartz duel
11) The guard instructing Bill Pullman on how to properly do the Vulcan nerve pinch.
12) Accidentally capturing the stunt doubles.
13) The quote unquote "sexual tension" between Bill and Daphne.
And many more. Keep an eye out for this one.
"Where're you from?" - Daphne Zuniga
"I don't know. Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy." - Bill Pullman
75 of 103 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this