RoboCop (1987) Poster

(1987)

A classic one of the best action films one of my all time favorites
ivo-cobra81 April 2017
RoboCop (1987) is the finest cyberpunk action movie one of my favorite films of all time. I grew up with this movie, it has a special place in my heart and I love it to death. Here you have everything: brilliant story, good actors, stunts, puppetry, models, and good Special Effects. This is Paul Verhoeven and Peter Weller's best movie from the 80's they ever made. I used to had this movie on VHS but over the years the tape was eaten from VHS recorder so that I couldn't watch the movie properly anymore. 3 years earlier I got this movie on Blu-ray Unrated director's cut and my Blu-ray player scratched and eat the Blu-ray disc so I purchased the director's cut again on Blu-ray and I was blown away with the movie how good it is.

RoboCop it's not an action in the film itself, that makes this be the case. This is especially odd in a movie with a $50 million budget (in 1987!), with multiple huge explosions, with hundreds of bullets fired, and scores of stuntmen used. 30 year's anniversary is coming in July since the movie was released and it is a shame that Miguel Ferrer aka Bob Morton died this year in January R.I.P. we miss you. This movie is what it is, a perfect 10, because it takes the vision of one of the most imaginative directors on Earth, and realizes them almost perfectly with all the tools that fit the task.

The movie it self has heart and soul in it, the fact is you have a human being who loses his humanity and it brought back to life, he is resurrected and he is a superhuman super cop who once again regains his humanity and his trouble been robot and human. When Alex Murphy (Peter Weller) takes off his helmet we see a sad mourning man who lost everything. I felt really sorry for Alex who was shot and killed I was really moved and sad by his death who lost his family.

Peter Weller stars in the film as Alex Murphy, a Detroit police officer who after being gunned down by a vicious gang, is resurrected by a mega-corporation as the cybernetic law enforcement officer of the future. As he begins his new life as "RoboCop", Murphy starts to regain a bit of his humanity with the help of his former partner Anne Lewis (Nancy Allen). The popularity of the RoboCop character would spawn a RoboCop franchise consisting of, among other media, two more feature films, a 1994 live-action series, two animated television series, a four-part movie miniseries as well as a 2014 remake.

Actors Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Ronny Cox, Kurtwood Smith and Miguel Ferrer do all job well and they deliver the movie as an entertaining action flick.

I love the puppetry of droid ED-209 who has a lot of fire power and the costume and the suit for RoboCop was beautiful designed. Themes that make up the basis of RoboCop include media influence, gentrification, corruption, authoritarianism, greed, privatization, capitalism, identity, dystopia, and human nature. It is an rated R action film and I wish there would be movies like this today. I love the Music score by Basil Poledouris which it is my favorite score and it is a classic orchestra.

The stunts are completely insane in scale (we have a lot of glass scenes like Ed-209 fires cannon guns on Robo and he flies trough glass door. Robo fires his gun on Dick (Ronnie Cox) and he flies trough window.) Robo punches a terrorist in mayor's office and he falls from the window. Of course, this wouldn't be an action movie without some action. There's plenty of it, and it's perfectly done. The gunplay is delivered in perfect Verhoeven style (as opposed to the slo-mo John Woo-style) -- you'll see lots of heavy automatic, shotguns and explosive cannon weapons, and you'll see them used well. The film is violent, and bloody with real blood squibs.

It is also up to the script to deliver the real substance of the movie. (One often sees great performances in mediocre films... here the story transcends the performances -- an impressive feat.) The script delivers. The film is absolutely filled with great, classic moments (I counted TEN all-star ones during my last viewing), and they're evenly spaced through the movie.

I love how RoboCop prevents two armed robberies, a rape which he shoots the rapist in the dick, he bust a drug factory on by him self, he stops and punches a terrorist and saves the hostages in the mayor office, he stops a violent gang by himself and he stops a corrupt business man.

Best scene: ED-209 moves its right gun-arm cannon on RoboCop (Peter Weller) but Robo grabs it and shoves it away just before ED fires. ED continues firing as Robo shoves the gun towards ED's left gun-arm, destroying it. ED-209 fires one of its missiles at RoboCop. The missiles were actual rockets guided with wires.

RoboCop is a 1987 American cyberpunk action film directed by Paul Verhoeven and written by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner. The film stars Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Dan O'Herlihy, Kurtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer, and Ronny Cox.

RoboCop (1987) is a classic one of the best action films my all time favorite action films of mine that defines my childhood. This movie has a heart, and that you cannot deny. Plus, it simply rocks. 10/10
88 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Underrated, Misunderstood, Ingenious
Break14 June 2003
It's a shame that this movie is usually snubbed by shoving it into the "action" category. Sure, there are lot of legendary action sequences to be found, but RoboCop is a LOT more than that.

Next time when you watch it, try to shift your focus from the cyborgs, explosions and gore towards the writing. From the main theme of criticizing the modern money driven society (a topic still relevant today, and will most likely be so in the future as well) all the way to the smallest bits of dialogue, the writing is nothing short of outstanding. RoboCop is simply the most intelligent "action" film to come out of Hollywood, ever. Unfortunately, the cleverness is hidden "between the lines" of comic book action. No wonder so many people fail to see this film for what it really is.

Amazing cinematography, solid performances (especially from Kurtwood Smith and Miguel Ferrer), memorable musical score.. The list is endless. Granted, the stop motion effects of ED-209 look quite old today, but you have to remember we're talking about a movie made in 1987. RoboCop has its faults, like the rather embarrassing toxic waste scene, but they are easily forgiven compared to all the good things.

You must be thinking "What is this guy on? It's just a dumb little action flick about a cyborg!" .. Relax, take a deep breath and watch it again. I like obscure art films as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to dismiss such greatness just because it comes wrapped in cartoon violence. I'm not saying RoboCop is art, the best movie ever made or the most important film of the year/decade/millennium. But it definitely deserves to be regarded higher.

My only question is: How could Verhoeven succeed so well with this movie, and fail miserably in ALL other Hollywood titles he has worked on?
206 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The mix of science-fiction, action and social satire is just brilliant!
Boba_Fett11381 August 2005
The success of this movie can be credited to one man; Paul Verhoeven. His special touch of violence, gore and social satire make the movie more than just your average B-movie, with a lame title and simple story and characters. Yes, without Verhoeven this movie seriously would had been nothing more like another B-movie on par with science-fiction/action movies like "Timecop" and Albert Pyun movies.

The main story of "RoboCop" itself is simply and not that complex, however Verhoeven manages to put many different layers for the story as well as the characters in the movie. The social satire in the movie works out brilliantly and is what makes the movie perhaps more entertaining than thrilling or tense. Especially those typical Verhoeven news sketches are brilliant! But also those who will not be able to understand or fully appreciate the social satire elements in the movie, will have plenty to enjoy while watching this. The action itself is top-class and the characters are fun as well as cool. RoboCop himself looks awesome, both in his movements and the way his costume looks. Oh and of course I may not forget his awesome gun!

The movie is not only filled with some typical Verhoeven social satire elements but also with some trademark Verhoeven gore and violence. The way Murphy gets killed is very graphic and disturbing. But as always in most Verhoeven movies is the case, the violence is so over-the-top that it's not really shocking to look at but almost more comical like because it's just so over-the-top. Especially what happens to Emil at the end, the gore is way over-the-top there and I absolutely love it!

In a movie like this the characters are also always important. Especially the villains and yes, "RoboCop" has some highly entertaining and good villains. The group of Clarence, Leon, Joe and Steve are a bunch of entertaining, charismatic stereotypical villains. But also the more educated villains like Dick Jones (Ronny Cox) and Bob Morton (a very young Miguel Ferrer) who also isn't a very nice person. But also the mechanical villain ED-209 is extremely cool and dangerous looking. The stop-motion effects for him are of course heavily outdated this days but it takes away nothing of his threatening appearance. All of the character are entertaining and well developed. Characters also worth mentioning are The Old Man (Dan O'Herlihy) who plays the president of OCP and you can tell by his face gestures that he's not very pleased with the direction Dick Jones is heading towards with the company and Johnson who is always smiling. And of course let's not forget Bixby "I'd buy that for a dollar!" Snyder, he's a real classic! They should given that guy a real show on TV.

Also the musical score by Basil Poledouris is what helps to make this movie a very memorable one. Poledouris delivers one of his best works. When will he finally get some more attention from the big awards? He has made some great stuff but he rarely has won anything of importance with it. A bit of a disgrace for such a wonderful composer.

All in all this is a brilliantly entertaining science-fiction/action movie that simply is perfect in every way, mainly thanks to Verhoeven his input.

125 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Classic science fiction film full of excess, humour and satire
bob the moo4 February 2002
In a futurist Detroit, crime is high and the police are run by a massive private company, keener to reduce running costs than reduce crime. When their new police robot ED209 develops a glitch, they turn to a prototype that blends human tissue with high-tech circuitry. Meanwhile Police officer Murphy and his partner Lewis are out gunned by criminals leaving Murphy mortally wounded. OCP take Murphy's body and use it to make Robocop. However Robocop is so successful that he is targeted by criminal Boddicker. Boddicker turns to his shadowy partners in crime, while Robocop struggles to deal with human memories and a programming system that seems designed to control him and keep him in the dark.

Verhoeven's first US film was to set the mould for how the rest of his career would pan out - extreme violence and very little idea of restraint. However this is one of his best films and has much in common with one of his other best (Starship Troopers) - ultra-violence, funny black humour, great action and tonnes of satirical digs at modern life. Here the plot revolves around the creation of Robocop and his fight against crime that goes right to the top. This is complimented by the sub-plot of him trying to rediscover his human side. This is full of great action scenes and eccentric villains.

The black comedy is funny, although sometimes you feel bad laughing at so much violence, but the sideswipes are the best. Verhoeven takes digs at TV with his advert filled news broadcasts, at privatisation by showing the crumbling police stations and the huge corporate towers and at heroism by showing Robocop creating just as much mayhem and destruction as the criminals he pursues. His strength however is the action scenes and the sense of tension he creates - I'll don't think anyone can forget the sheer terror of ED209's `glitch'.

Weller is good - cast because of his strong jaw and ability to project emotion through a suit of armour - and he does manage to bring out the human side. Allen is good but a but dry. The real support comes from the eccentric, and well known villains and corporate bosses. Ronny Cox, Smith, Ray Wise, Perry, O'Herlihy and Miguel Ferrer are all great in various capacities. Criminal or greedy corporate leader - it's hard to tell which is which at times.

A classic bit of sci-fi. Verhoeven has sadly not had a moment as fine as this since and has recently had problems being excessive in Hollywood - the land of excess! This is a landmark film that may not be to everyone's taste.
50 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
A brilliant mix of science fiction, action and satire that has yet to be topped.
Infofreak27 March 2003
Paul Verhoeven's career in recent years has been wildly uneven, but back in the 1980s he rocked! His movies 'Spetters', 'The Fourth Man' and 'Flesh & Blood' are all brilliant and worth tracking down. His next movie, his first Hollywood one, could have been a complete disaster. Verhoeven initially passed on it without reading the script and wasn't experienced in working with special effects or a fan of science fiction. Thankfully his wife insisted he make the picture and the end result was a triumph. Apparently this was a very tough shoot for all concerned but the bottom line is what is on screen, and it really works. Few movies if any have managed to juggle SF, action and grim satire in such an entertaining and original fashion. Verhoeven was blessed with an excellent script, a well chosen bunch of actors, and a great behind the scenes team, and added to his own vision 'RoboCop' turned out to be one of the best movies of the 1980s, whatever the genre. Peter Weller ('Buckaroo Banzai') pulls off a difficult job - making the audience care about a guy in a monster suit. Probably the best performance of its kind since Boris Karloff in James Whale's 'Frankenstein' back in the 1930s. Nancy Allen ('Dressed To Kill'), Kurtwood Smith ('12.01 PM'), Ronny Cox ('Deliverance'), Miguel Ferrer ('Twin Peaks'), and the rest of the supporting cast are all first rate, and everything about this movie is perfect. Verhoeven stumbled with his next movie 'Total Recall', and apart from 'Starship Troopers' has pretty much failed to fulfill his potential, but 'RoboCop' remains a classic SF/action movie and a fantastic way to end a great decade of work.
162 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Sci-fi/action with messages.
The_Dinosaur23 September 2006
This was a film that I enjoyed watching when I was a kid and it was my favorite film. Now, years later I just watched it and I was hesitant because I thought it would be cheesy, but it was amazing. It is ultra violent even by today's standards. It is a great mix of action and sci-fi and it has a message. You would not have to look hard into this film to see some deeper meaning in it, though it appears to just be a action film it is also a testament to human life. One of the most prominent messages in this film is that you can put a human in a robotic shell but he is still a human. It also has messages about corporations running our lives. There is a scene where the main character has been killed and the company that owns the police is about to turn him into Robocop and someone says is this OK and the corporate rep says "we own him, we can do whatever we like with him." It is a classic film and one that has to be watched by everybody. It disappoints me that in every top 100 movies list or somethings like that you will never see this film, I think it is a classic and is one of the most underrated films of all time.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Great science fiction from Verhoeven
shortround83913 April 2009
"Robocop" was what gave the world the robotic police officer that would rival the Terminator as the greatest cyborg film character of all time. Although, I'm not gonna take a side in that debate, but I am gonna give Robocop the recognition it deserves. He was something that was totally new at the time (1987), and since then the movie got 2 (crappy) sequels, a comic book and a mini-series.

Robocop is set in the future and portrays a very dark version of Detroit, and its crime level has gone up considerably. In it, a cop named Alex Murphy gets literally blown away by a gang of nasty criminals on his first day on the job. But later a company (OCP) uses his remains to build a mechanical cop in order to cut down on the crime in order to build "Delta City" to replace the corrupted dystopia that was once Detroit. Later on, Robocop makes a name for himself around the city, but unexpectedly he starts remembering what he was before his death, and through this we start to learn more about Murphy since we didn't zilch about him before he died. And this is how he starts to regain his lost humanity. And the first rule about making a movie with a robot for a character is that you MUST make it human in some way, that's the reason why Robocop worked so well and why "Terminator 2" worked so well. Towards the ending, after he takes off his helmet for the final battle, reveals his face. And a little later, after the Old Man asks him for his name, he replies "Murphy", this is one of the most heart-touching moments in science fiction which generally don't have moments like those. The symbolism in here is perfect.

Another thing that really got me were the bad guys. And the best of the gang is without a doubt, Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker. Honestly, I have never seen a guy who looks like a 50 year old pencil pusher to be so threatening. He delivers his lines with such ferocity and perfection that he becomes perhaps one of the greatest villains in the history of cinema. And his classic lines, "Can you fly, Bobby?" and "B*****s, leave!" will never be forgotten. Also, his crew is worth noting, Emil will be known for the gas station scene (probably the best part of the movie), Joe will be remembered for his laugh and his "Does it hurt? Does it hurt?" line. And Leon will be recognized for his hilarious expression he makes when the disfigured Emil confronts him and when Robocop pulls his hair in the dance club. And lastly Clarence will be known for pretty much everything he does and says in here. And all these guys are MEAN, plain and simple. They basically kill and hurt others for their own amusement and express no pity or remorse at all. These guys are as real as movie villains could possibly get.

The action is excellent, the gas station scene was bad@$$, the drug factory shootout was fantastic and the ending when Robocop takes out all the bad guys in the same place where they killed him at the steel mill is unforgettable, thanks to the Cobra Assault Cannons (forgot what they're called), but it's one of the sweetest weapons ever made up in a film.

The one liners couldn't have been better. "Dead or alive, you're coming with me" is a quote that should've been on the Top 100, but for some reason, it's not. "Your move, creep" is another worth mentioning. And the before mentioned stuff that the bad guys say are pretty cool to say in real life situations as well.

Robocop is a classic in the golden age of science fiction when we didn't have too many of that over-the-top, unoriginal crap that we're getting now. I'm gonna cherish this movie forever, and I hope you will too.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Impressive Action Film That Is Not For the Squeamish
tfrizzell26 October 2000
"RoboCop" is a surprisingly impressive action film about a young cop (Peter Weller) who is killed by a gang of cruel criminals and is brought back to life with both human and robotic characteristics. Now he is cleaning up the city of Detroit and going after those who brutally murdered him when he was 100% human. This film is ultra-violent in every sense of the word. Anyone under the age of 17 should be strongly cautioned before seeing this film. However, the violence makes the film realistic and more exciting. Paul Verhoeven does some of his best work as a director. The screenplay is very smart for an action film and all the actors give bravura performances. Peter Weller will always be remembered as the original "RoboCop". Ronny Cox, Nancy Allen, Miguel Ferrer, and an incredibly evil Kurtwood Smith all do the best work of their careers. An impressive film from the action genre. 4 stars out of 5.
90 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best films of the genre!!!
Ilker Yucel8 February 2001
When I first saw "Robocop" on Showtime back in 1989, I was about 8 years old. It was definitely the most violent, and one of the most sophisticated films I'd ever seen (at that time...being 8, my dad had issues with showing me "Blade Runner" though he seriously wanted me to since it was first released). Everything about the film grabbed me on some level. A lot of people seem to really like this film, though I've heard a share of people and critics say that it's a second-rate film due to the extensive violence and sappy dialogue, calling it cartoon-ish. Well, I have to say that the cartoon-ish quality to the film is part of its allure. It's not only a humorous device for the sake of entertainment, but its significance to the story is great. This is a dystopian future where big companies control almost every part of our existence, from the government to the police to our domestic lives. It's almost Orwell-ian (anybody notice how the OCP building is the tallest in the city?). It's a future where criminals run rampant in every form, from street thugs to business execs. Seriously, the head villain is a greedy business suit who uses a street gang to create trouble so he can provide a solution in the form of a droid with enough firepower to put up a fight with a tank...only to have that blow up in his face and mutilate a fellow exec at its unveiling. Bill Gates never had a bad day like this. Or how about when the gang blows Murphy into a million pieces with enough shotgun ammo to make even the NRA cringe, totally destroying any remnants of his right arm. It's cartoon-ish because it's a comentary on the direction the world could conceivably take, while at the same time being a source of entertainment. Whether the entertainment value was intended for people who love to see guns blazing or for people who like to see horrifying sights (Murphy's execution, for as long as it was and as bloody as it was, HAD to demand a lot of sympathy from people...if it didn't, there's something wrong with you, and let's not forget when Robocop was getting shot up by the swat team). This film has everything going for it. A plot that exists on more levels than its B-movie surface. It's a social commentary, a satire, an action film, a sci-fi film, and at times even a comedy (when Robocop dragged the guy away by his hair, I laughed like mad). The acting is great, the effects are great (not perfect, but that adds to the visual appeal because it's as gritty as the story), the music is great (kudos to Basil Poledouris on an amazing score), and overall...this film is one of the greatest films of its genre. I wouldn't call it "THE" greatest, but it's very high up there. I still have yet to see the uncut Director's version, but knowing Paul Verhoeven's work as I do, I know it must be far more brutal than the domestic version (hard to grasp with how far this film goes, but...it evidently went further, showing just how cartoon-ish things can get I suppose). I give it a definite 10/10!!!
93 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Put down your weapons...
Peach-24 July 1999
Robocop is an unbelieveable experience. I haven't watched the film since 1988 and the other day I recieved it on DVD. So I eagerly popped it in the player and BOOM!!! The only way I can describe Robocop is ultraviolence. The film is so over the top and out of control. The film speaks of a future where big companies will run the governmental defense. Those times are upon us more and more everyday. Paul Verhoeven has made one of the most important science fiction films ever made and it's a brillant piece of cinema.
192 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Brutal but satisfying
moonspinner552 August 2002
Detroit is under siege by a corrupt CEO in the police department...also by rapists, robbers, and the group of thugs who murdered Officer Murphy. Murphy (flawlessly played by Peter Weller) was a family man with a big heart whose body is eventually 'saved' by tech-geniuses, transforming him into a robot-cop (with a big heart, natch). The violence in the film is incredibly brutal in the manner of "Death Wish", yet it can almost be overlooked--even deemed necessary--in the context of the plot. Weller exudes sensitivity (not easy to do under that coat of armor), and he's matched very well by Ronny Cox (delightfully sinister and sniveling) and spunky Nancy Allen (in her best performance). A bleak vision of the future, though one which offers hope underneath its chestplate of destruction. Followed by "RoboCop 2" in 1990, "RoboCop 3" in 1993, and a television series in 1994. ***1/2 from ****
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Cracking Futuristic Action
mjw230529 January 2005
Robocop, born of technology is a cyborg, half man/half machine. The future of Law enforcement is here, and he's kicking ass.

Alex Murphy was the unfortunate candidate chosen to be robocop after he was brutally massacred by a gang of scumbag criminals. And the robocop program was brought in, after the E.D. 209 (An all robot killing machine) proto-type failed so disastrously.

Alex Murphy, now Robocop is effectively dead, but he still has a memory, and sets out on a quest to avenge his own Death, by finding the scumbags responsible.

With some quite horrific violence (E.D. 209 and Murphy scenes mainly) and some brilliant action, Robocop is character that you will warm to, as he fights crime on a personal level.

Solid entertainment 8/10
66 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
You gotta love the Dutch when it comes to directing.
Lee Eisenberg30 September 2005
"RoboCop" is the sort of movie that seems like it would be more than idiotic if you only hear about it once. But it turns out to actually be quite good. Less of an action movie than a look at urban decay, the movie makes the most of its potential at every turn.

Officers Alex J. Murphy (Peter Weller) and Anne Lewis (Nancy Allen) patrol the streets of crime-ridden Detroit. One day, while tracking down a gang, Murphy gets cornered and shot to death. But that's not the end of him; a group of scientists turns him into the steel-clad title character. Before too long, RoboCop is out fighting crime like never before. In the process, he not only decides to find the gang that killed him, but also investigates a conspiracy going to the city's highest levels of government.

Watching the movie, you get the feeling that everyone must have had a lot of fun making it. It's really neat now that I know that Kurtwood Smith - aka Red Foreman on "That '70s Show" - played one of the gang members. Paul Verhoeven, who turned out the masterpiece "Soldier of Orange" in his native Netherlands, created something more than cool here. You'll love it.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
80s Classic That Didn't Need Remaking
Theo Robertson8 February 2014
In a crime ridden Detroit of the near future a corporate company OCP has the answer to fighting crime - invent a new type of policeman who won't go on strike . After the death of a policeman called Murphy they stick his body in to a metal shell . Murphy however can still remember a time when he was human

I once did an evening film course called Talking Pictures which would involve watching a film then having a two hour group discussion on the film . I saw the filmography before the class started and the vast majority would be art house foreign cinema . The one exception was ROBOCOP and I knew instantly this was the one that was going to split the group right down the middle in to love it or hate it with no in between . True to form this how things worked out . Most the class despised it wondering why the class had to watch such a cartoonish commercial film . I however did state I loved it and considered it to be the third best SF movie of the 1980s behind THE TERMINATOR and ALIENS

What makes ROBOCOP such a cerebral enjoyable film is the uncommon mix of social satire and no holds barred Verhoeven excess . While " greed is good " to a certain extent the idea of corporate capitalism is something to be rejected . A small self elected clique ruling over the Universe in order to maximise profits is a bad mix of capitalism meets self serving communism . Not so much a mixed economic system but more a combination of greedy speculators from one system being merged with the unthinking party loyalty of the other system . It's greed for money plus greed for power which is a marriage made in hell and being dead isn't enough to make you escape the clutches of OCP and the film revolves around the human element of Murphy remembering who he once was and it's this that is at the core of the movie

Of course Verhoeven isn't a director who does sentimental mawkish stuff and I doubt if the audience was wanting to see a Walt Disney film . What they were wanting to see was bad things happen to very bad people and you can't help cheering as criminals get killed , maimed , mutilated and in one case melted . It's a violent film but one that is so cartoonish that the violence is not to be taken seriously , a fact reflected in the loud slightly unrealistic acting style . This attitude wasn't enough to stop its British network premiere on ITV becoming farcical with a TV version being broadcast with notorious lines like " you gonna be a bad mother crusher " along with key scenes like the ones with mister melty conspicuous by their absence

There is of course a new version of ROBOCOP hitting the cinema this week but is a film I have no interest in watching judging by the clips I've seen of it . It's strange to think that another Verhoeven classic TOTAL RECALL was also recently remade . As it stands the original ROBOCOP remains one of the greatest genre films from the 1980s containing wit , satire and enjoyably mean carnage
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Violent intelligence
funkyfry13 December 2007
"Robocop" is one of those movies that inspires debate, as well it should. The director, Paul Verhoeven (who later became an even bigger player with films like "Total Recall" and "Basic Instinct") has definitely indulged in extreme violence and has no qualms about presenting violence as an object of fun. But I would defend it even if its only virtue was its action sequences because those elements are handled so well. There's a number of imaginatively staged action scenes, and it never devolves into an arcade-style shooting gallery like so many 80s actions films do. The action is compelling because of Verhoeven's style and because he's given the characters enough substance that we care about what happens to them, including at least a half dozen interesting villains.

A lot of discussion has revolved around whether or not this film deserves to be called satire. Those looking for Moliere-like pearls in Verhoeven's modestly amusing commercial interruptions are understandably disappointed. This isn't the kind of movie that you can look at or objectify in order to access its ideas on an intellectual level. It's a different kind of beast: it must be entered into, it must fulfill its function as an action narrative first and foremost and it carries its ideas like a wedding train dragged by a semi-truck… a prominent after-thought. At any rate I feel it's closer to camp than satire, one of the first camp action films of the 80s style I would argue ("Remo Williams" being another, now largely forgotten). It's a good drinking movie, and this most recent time when I watched it my friend and I were laughing and yelling so much that we probably missed half the dialog. But I don't think we missed much of the point. If it was a satire, Robocop wouldn't emerge as such a serious figure invested with pathos and personality. The movie itself is best enjoyed in my opinion as a joyride with some interesting commentary about America's relationship to violence thrown in by way of farce; you wait for each villain to meet his fitting end and watch the carnage pile up. The villains are all so easy to hate, and all the actors playing them are having a lot of fun. Ronny Cox is fantastic as the corporate heel, but I've always enjoyed Kurtwood Smith the most. Really this is a very well-cast movie all around. I love the scene where Miguel Ferrer has his coke party interrupted by Smith with his bomb and his video. It's easy to underestimate the kind of skill Smith shows when he's so funny and obviously has his tongue in cheek but still manages to be convincingly sadistic and evil. Honestly, a comparison to Vincent Price in his heyday is not unwarranted.

Weller for his part is adequate and it's a difficult role so that's no insult. I didn't care for Nancy Allen in the movie but I can't really put my finger on the reasons. I guess she just came across as very tentative. I think it was a small mistake for Verhoeven to have her play it in a more grounded mode; his butt-kicking females are more fascinating but he does always have problems directing female heroes (see "Showgirls" and "Total Recall" for example).

I think this is a pretty intelligent movie with some layers to it. It's better as science fiction than you would at first suspect, mining Frankenstein territory in a number of scenes – particularly where the callous nature of the creator is shown ("lose the arm") and when the police force turns on Robocop like the mob of angry villagers in Whale's film version. In Shelley's time perhaps a single scientist was a suitable object of terror, but by choosing corporate monster-makers the writers of this film gave the story a far more prescient object for paranoia. Indeed, even since I last saw the film in the late 90s, the film's central premise has become even more relevant due to America's misadventures with corporate security forces in Iraq.

This time around I noticed all the elements of Western parody in the film. Not just the twirling pistol (which also, interestingly, performs a plot function by identifying Robocop as Murphy) but also in various other scenes. For example one poster here complained about the "generic" or obligatory nature of the convenience store scene and the rape scene where Robocop is introduced as a hero. I couldn't disagree more. They parallel the arrival of the hero in a traditional Western; the convenience store works for the trading post in "Shane", the nightclub scene doubles for a tavern brawl (i.e. the beginning of "Rio Bravo") and the attempted rape parallels any number of damsel in distress scenarios. That's a very funny scene for me because of the way the girl goes up to Robocop after he rescues her and kind of drapes herself over him ("My hero!"), a very prototypical American bit that you'd see in a Randolph Scott Western from the 40s. Robocop's sterile reaction is perfect, again a parody of the emotionless law enforcing gunfighter of the Old West of American mythology.

I expect to find more and more interesting elements the more I watch the film over the years. I think recently its reputation has taken a slight hit – look at the interesting life this film has had. Originally it was a big hit both in theaters and on video. Over the years it was not forgotten because action movie fans would return to it and be surprised at how well it holds up and how many ideas are floating about beneath the surface. Then based on their recommendations movie-goers of a more intellectual bent gave the movie a chance and were disappointed. It's time for the pendulum to swing back and for the movie to be reclaimed as what it is – an intelligent violent film.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
I'd buy this for a dollar!
Aidan McGuinness27 August 2002
I've got the music for this movie humming in my head as I type the review. Maybe it's the effect of the movie, or the computer-game based on the movie, I'm not quite sure. Either way it's put me in a more agreeable mood towards this picture.

In the future-world of `Robocop', crime is running wild. The OCP, the police of Detroit, try desperately to fight against it but it's a losing battle. When Officer Murphy is brutally gunned down by a bunch of thugs they see an opportunity to test a new technology. Infusing the body with cyber-technology they create the ultimate crime-fighting machine - the synthetic Robocop. Robocop is out to fight crime. but finds that the fight may take him places he never thought of, including inside his past that he thought erased.

Acting? It's actually above average for a sci-fi flick. Peter Weller is mostly stoic and chisel-jawed here, as he should be seeing as how he's a robot. However the emotion underneath is shown in the glimpse of the eyes, the almost too-determined posture. It's subtle but it works. Those playing the villains have the real fun. They seem to have delight in playing utter pieces of scum, camping it up in a delightfully menacing fashion that's a joy to see.

Speaking of camp. this movie has a great comic-book feel to it. Paul Verhoeven, and the script, have their tongue lodged firmly in their cheek as they make this movie into a satire about the way our vales are changing. The over-the-top violence of the future is reflected in a blackly humorous style by contrasting it against fake-news and ad-snippets. The sheer amount of bullets flying is too much to take in and so you are reduced to incredulity and smiles rather than horror. This is intentional, a saturation of the sensibilities. Without it the movie could feel very bleak. With it there's the feeling of adventure, and an ironic acknowledgement of our own blood-lust in movies. The tone melds with the viewer very well and makes the movie appear more intelligent than it actually probably is, which is something to be said in the IQ of 0 sci-fi culture we're often in.

There's enough action throughout this movie that you're never left bored. The villains have about as much dimension as a dot, but Robocop himself has enough character to have merited the concept of a franchise (even if the follow-ups failed to live up the series' potential). It's a very entertaining piece which is told in a manner that's quite amusing. Worthy of a watch, just don't accept to be blown away. 7/10.
49 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
The Ticktock Man
tieman6420 June 2008
"The sooner we admit our capacity for evil, the less apt we are at destroying one another." - Paul Verhoeven.

Most of Verhoeven's films deal with different forms of fascism or excess. As a child, Verhoeven himself witnessed firsthand the brutalities of the Second World War. Indeed, the German Army occupied Verhoeven's own hometown, and quickly implemented a policy of "enforced conformity" (Gleichschaltung), shutting down all non Nazi organisations and forcing strict curfews and laws upon the Dutch population. Verhoeven himself was lined up against a wall and heckled by a German execution squad. They fired their rifles up into the air, and teased him for wetting his pants.

It thus seems only normal that, later in his life, Verhoeven would become contemptuous of man. His films are routinely violent, bloody, and satirical, and some even broadcast disguised contempt for we the audience. Verhoeven's "heroes" are themselves often base, nasty creatures, whether they live in war-torn Europe or the contemporary psychedelia of Western techno-capitalism.

Indeed, films like "Robocop", "Total Recall", "Basic Instinct", "Starship Troopers" and "Showgirls" all revel in a kind of tawdry decadence. Ugly, crass and loud, they're mock-celebrations of junk, money, lights and noise. Verhoeven seems to believe that Americans are capable of responding only to idiocy and base stimuli.

Verhoeven's two science fiction films, "Robocop" and "Starship Troopers", are his most openly critical. Simultaneously pandering to and sneering at lug-heads, these films manages a strange juggling act; both consist of a number of ironic jokes aimed at sophisticated audience members, yet are also devoted to B movie gore and violence. The simple notion of "revenge" also drives both films, Verhoeven's audience whipped up in a frenzy of both blood lust and revenge.

Perhaps what Verhoeven does best in these films is highlight how complacency and stupidity are prerequisites to different forms of control and abuse. "Robocop" makes this implicit with its truncated 3 minute news bulletins (for its ADD society), its consumer catchphrases, its themes of dehumanisation - through technology (robocop), capitalism (OCP) and the media ("I'll buy that for a dollar!") - all of which point to a world in which man is too busy bowing to biochemical impulses than look around. The film is so cynical, that it even suggests that the bad guys are funded by the same omniscient company that funds the military and police force. In this future world, capitalism has evolved to the point where it shoots itself in the foot just to sell itself band-aids.

Verhoeven's other films do similar things. "Basic Instinct" and "Showgirls" are not full blown satires, but they are deliberately garish, mocking the very sex and sleaze they trade in. Verhoeven's Hollywood filmography itself seems like a calculated assault on sex (Basic Instinct, Hollowman, Showgirls), money and violence (Robocop, Starship Troopers), America's chief excesses. Significantly, Verhoeven's also had long-time plans to film a religious movie.

7.9/10 – Some kind of classic.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Masterpiece of science fiction, action and pitch black social commentary
fertilecelluloid6 January 2006
For the sake of posterity, I must register my opinion of "Robocop", but there's not much to say that hasn't already been said. The film is a science fiction masterpiece, but it's not a heavy-handed one like "2001" or a ponderous one like "Blade Runner". It is packed not only with action and the most explicit of screen violence, but with incisive ideas and frightening concepts about the future, many of which have already come to pass. Director Paul Verhoeven, who has made great films like "Turkish Delight" "Spetters", "The 4th Man" and the awesome "Starship Troopers", directs with amazing skill and energy, and injects a vein of black humor that elevates this to levels way beyond previous genre watersheds. No masterpiece lacks a brilliant screenplay, and the screenplay here is just that. Few science fiction films in history have so masterfully combined great ideas with violent action, sharp characterization and jaw-dropping special effects. The film's most brutal set piece -- the gunning down of Murphy (Peter Weller) -- is one of cinema's most harrowing and tragic achievements, a hard, cruel punch to the gut and emotions that sweeps us into the film's amazing second act. The performances are flawless, the villains are incredibly mean-spirited, and the special visual and make-up effects are superb. If you want to know how to make great science fiction, "Robocop" is a great place to start.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Dead or alive, you're coming with Robocop!
crazyrabbits6 December 2005
Ahhh...Robocop. How I've missed you. The tale of one man's death and rebirth into a formidable robotic killing machine really tugs at my heartstrings. From the brilliant action scenes (Clarence running down Emil and turning him into a splash of toxic sludge is genius), to the acting (Miguel Ferrier is especially good here as Bob Morton, Robocop's creator. Too bad he bought the farm halfway through the film. Maybe he can come back in Robocop 4 as an apparition?), the actors themselves (Peter Weller does an admirable job as Robo, and Nancy Allen is still hot, no matter what anyone says), and even the in-jokes about corporate control and capitalism, you can't help but love this film. Everyone should see it immediately.

Bottom Line: Watch this and not the two sub-par sequels that followed...but you could try watching the TV series. Or the cartoon series. If you want.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Well done, original action/scifi thriller!
MovieAddict20164 September 2002
Director Paul Verhoven, the director of TOTAL RECALL unleashes a very original film, that despite what my first thought upon seeing commercials was, is not a copy off of the Terminator.

The actors are not very famous, but sometimes the best films have no name actors-and sometimes you get the best performances out of them because they're not full of themselves.

The blend of sci-fi, action, and thriller was very good, and the stunts and action scenes themselves were memorable.

Overall ROBOCOP is a very under-rated film (in the way of critics and popularity) but for anyone who's seen it, they know when it's over that THEY have found an entertaining blockbuster. That's how films like 'Speed' and such were accepted so well. Audiences not only can recognize with the characters symbolically, but they can also sit on the edge of their seats. Such a film is Robocop. A very entertaining at the most, well done film. I give it a good rating-it's just pure entertainment!

3.5/5 STARS--
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Truly Entertaining Violent movie.
Liakot Ali13 June 2006
Robocop is Truly a great violent movie. Packed with plenty of blood and Violence, this is one entertaining movie. Set in Detroit, one of the most violent city's, Robocop is the story of a police killed by a ruthless gang. He is later used in a experiment, and becomes the half man half machine, Robocop. Peter Sellers gives us the best movie of his entire career. Paul Verhoevan has made some great film like Basic Instict, Hollow Man, Starship troopers and Total Recall. I think Robocop, is still is best work out of the lot. It is the best out of the Robocop trilogy by a margin. The Second part was entertaining in some scenes and is worth watching. The third was a absolute disaster, with nothing great about it, apart from robot Ninjas. Watch Robocop 1, it is a fabulous movie.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
RoboCop is a great action movie!
Movie Nuttball29 October 2002
RoboCop is a very good but violent film that in My opinion is not for kids. I say not for kids because unlike most films the violence it shows is very graphic. Though the film is somewhat sad but the film is never boring and has good acting. Peter Weller did an outstanding job being RoboCop! Ronny Cox puts on a great performance but to me his role is similar to his role in Total Recall and Kurtwood Smith was good aswell. Miguel Ferrer was good and Nancy Allen looked good. Great music by Basil Poledouris and good direction by veteran director Paul Verhoeven. This is the first of a three film series. This is a great film for action and sci-fi fans alike!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Detroit, As We All Know It Really Is
gavin694226 September 2010
In future Detroit, the crime rate has gone through the roof, the police are on strike and a private corporation has taken over the police force. After the death of one of their rookie officers (Peter Weller), they try some experimental surgery and create RoboCop.

This film is vastly underrated, perhaps due in part to the stinky sequels. The plot is brilliant, the political undertones are there... we have action, we have science fiction, perhaps even a touch of horror. There are the intentional metaphors and symbolism that hark back to Frankenstein and even Jesus Christ. I will not even begin to talk about privatization...

The cast and crew are quite impressive. Rob Bottin, quite possibly the best special effects wizard in history, was there to see things through and gave us such excellent moments as "the incredible melting man". The incredible Nancy Allen, in one of her landmark performances (and maybe her best outside a Brian DePalma film). And Wisconsin's own Peter Weller. Hard to believe Orion studio head Mike Medavoy pushed for Arnold Schwarzenegger. Big mistake, and we are fortunate Weller won the role.

What is really amusing is how they used the backdrop of Detroit, rather than one of the more traditional film settings. Because, as we all know, Detroit today (2010-2015) is a crime-ridden cesspool. I find it hard to believe that this film shows life all that much worse than it really is in Detroit today.

The film has been released in various formats, including from the Criterion Collection. The MGM 20th Anniversary edition DVD is particularly strong. The list of features is almost endless, and the double disc offers two versions of the film. And, of course, the excellent audio commentary. All that really remains is the possibility of upgraded picture and sound. (A blu-ray release may have that already.)
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!