The Princess Bride (1987) Poster

A transcendent, nostalgic, pervasively hilarious experience
razwee10 May 2004
I have been waiting for the right time to review this film. I did not feel until today that I was truly ready to say all I had to say about director Rob Reiner's unforgettable staple of 1980s pop culture. When I first saw The Princess Bride, I was only 7 years old, and hardly cognizant of film as anything but a pastime. While I remember the movie as being enjoyable, I did not have anywhere near as strong a liking or appreciation for it as I do now. I certainly did not remember the film as a theater-going experience, and recently, I got the chance to view it, on the big screen, with at least fifty others in attendance at a midnight screening.

Personally, I am one of those people who, by nature, absorbs memorable quotes, and by that token, the entirety of The Princess Bride is fair game. As I sat there watching, I could always hear somebody, if not more than one person, at least whispering along with the movie under his or her breath. Meanwhile, I noticed that there was a wide disparity of age groups. There were pre-teens, teens, people in their twenties, thirties, and some that looked well past forty. If the showing had not been at midnight, I do not doubt that there would have been pre-pre-teens as well.

With a screenplay written by William Goldman (based on his book), The Princess Bride is a classic, familiar story of a princess, her true love, and the forces that come between them. As is evidenced by those in attendance, this is a story for all ages. The manner in which this fairytale part of the story is executed by Goldman and Reiner is memorable enough to make this a great film. As any fan of the movie will tell you, however, it is the film's whimsical, irreverent, pervasive tongue-in-cheek antics that make it an unqualified masterpiece.

If you hang around people who love this film, do not be surprised if they react to unbelievable situations with the exclamation, "Inconceivable!" Likewise, if you tell them to just wait a minute, don't be thrown aback when they suddenly sport a Spanish accent in saying, "I hate waiting." And if you suddenly, from out of nowhere, hear, "Hello.my name is Inigo Montoya.you killed my father.prepare to die," don't worry. It's not your fault, and you're not going to die.

While The Princess Bride has the sort of satirical edge more geared towards adults, the film is equally effective as a pure fairytale, and for this reason, there is a little something for everyone. In addition, the film enacts a self-referential tribute to the power and beauty of fairytale stories, even in the current age in which many consider them archaic and obsolete.

A sick grandson (Fred Savage), who is spending his time mindlessly playing video games (of the nostalgic Atari 8-bit type), gets a visit from his grandfather (portrayed through a wonderful performance from Peter Falk). To the grandson's dismay, his elder has brought a book to read to him. When he expresses disapproval at his grandfather's old-fashioned ways, the grandfather's response is, "When I was your age, television was called books." Even this quote stands out as resonant and memorable.

The grandson starts out expressing skepticism and boredom, but of course, as the reading of the story progresses, this gradually gives way to captivation and praise. Buttercup (Robin Wright, in her breakthrough role) is a fair-haired, stunningly gorgeous maiden who has been engaged to the smug, cowardly Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon), the prince who rules over the land of Florin. She of course does not love him, and she has been without joy since her true love, a farm boy named Wesley (Cary Elwes), was reportedly murdered on the seas.

Of course, without Wesley, there is no story of true love, and we know that he must miraculously return to her someday. This happens through an extraordinary, and increasingly hilarious, set of circumstances. A group of three bandits kidnap Buttercup with the intent of killing her to precipitate a war between Florin and its enemy, Guilder. These three are (in order of increasing stature) the intellectually pompous Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), the Spanish swordsman Inigo (Mandy Patinkin), and the big-hearted slow-witted giant Fezzik (the late Andre the Giant, in one of the most no-brainer casting decisions in all of film history).

During the kidnapping, however, a mysterious man in black closes in on the trail of the three abductors, and it is this man who takes on each of the three one by one in battles of skill, strength, smarts, and of course, deliciously witty repartee. There is something unusually extraordinary about these battles, however.

With the exception of Vezzini, the abductors are not villains as we might initially perceive them to be. The marvelously choreographed swordplay between the man in black and Inigo, and the hilarious absurdity of the handfight with Fezzik, are not at all about winning or losing. They embody a sense of honor, sportsmanship, and nobility that is rarely exemplified in competition (both fictional and real).

Inigo, Fezzik, and the man in black do not display their skills pretentiously or flauntingly. Instead, they take a strong sense of inner pride in the subtle mastery of their arts. As a result, when we see them engage in competition, there is not a sense of enmity, but a wonderful air of camaraderie.

Also included in the mix are a sadistic count (Christopher Guest) with an odd physical characteristic and a penchant for pain, an albino (Mel Smith) with a stuffy throat, the deadly wrath of an R.O.U.S., and a clergyman (Peter Cook) who makes Elmer Fudd seem eloquently spoken. Most memorable, perhaps, is the appearance of Billy Crystal and Carol Kane as the miracle-man Max and his wife. It has been reported that in the middle of filming this scene, Reiner was forced to leave the set, because Crystal's improvisations were causing him to laugh to the point of being sick.

Regarding the film's casting, every single choice, without exception, is absolute perfection. Cary Elwes not only easily looks the part of a daring, ingenious hero, but as an actor, he has an incredible gift for a subtle mixture of drama and comedy, one that easily coincides with the film's sensibilities. Robin Wright easily essays the role of the headstrong princess, endlessly devoted to her love (with a convincing British accent, despite her American origins).

For the scene of swordplay, Elwes and Patinkin had to study fencing for months, which is impressive, but on-screen, I had no trouble believing that they were characters who had studied for at least several years. Despite his limited acting ability, wrestler Andre the Giant is perfect for the role of Fezzik, and something would be lost with any other actor in his place. And of course, Wallace Shawn is endlessly amusing to watch as the diminutive, perpetually exasperated Vezzini.

We also don't have to hear Christopher Guest and Chris Sarandon speak any lines to know they are portraying villains. The arrogance, callousness, and sliminess are readily apparent in their facial and bodily expressions.

When all is said and done, we have witnessed a wide variety of hilarity, captivating acts of love and heroism, and of course, one of the most satisfying acts of retribution ever put on film (one that immortalizes the film's most famous quote and chooses just the right time and placement for the film's sole swear word).

For someone who watches this film for the first time, and quickly catches on to the film's capricious mix of reverence and satire, the film is a marvel to watch simply for the knowledge that you do not know what will come next. Will there be a touching moment? A reflective one? An act of bravado? Or will our expectations be subverted in an act of comical subterfuge? The answer: any of them will do, as the film has a delectable variety of all of them.

From start to finish, The Princess Bride is a transcendent, magical experience that constantly elicits uproarious laughter and simultaneously immerses the audience in a rich, magnificent, and almost nostalgic world of folklore that, after the end credits roll, seems timeless and undying. In the years since its release in 1987, it has grown into a cult film of legendary status, and judging by the wide variety of ages I witnessed at the screening (as well as the endless barrage of quoting), it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that the film will endure for many years to come.
367 out of 428 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Perfect Movie
robbijean8 December 1999
This is one of those rare films that gets better each time you watch it. With something for everyone, The Princess Bride combines romance, action, adventure and parody to create the perfect movie.

Cary Elwes and Robin Wright are beautiful to watch and the story of their love is a wonderful backdrop to the adventure and intrigue played out in this story. Mandy Patinkin is wonderful as Inigo and gets to deliver some of the best lines in the film. Chris Sarandon is perfect in his role as the bad guy prince.

The plot is rich, with adult innuendos the kids will miss all together and levels of wit to entertain the whole family. The dialogue is full of very funny catch phrases- many of which are still part of my repertoire more than a decade after I first saw the movie. If you like dry humor and fast wit, The Princess Bride will make your day.

I have owned this video since 1988 and still watch it regularly - it has become my 'sick day' movie because it is such a joy.
255 out of 307 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love it.
Little Raven10 January 2001
There's enough reviews here to show how enjoyable and entertaining this movie is, but I had to put my own word in...

I simply love this movie. I watched it with my parents when I was very young, and have been watching it constantly ever since. It's a movie that I just can't seem to grow tired of. For one, I absolutely love the medieval fantasy genre, both in books and movies. From a small child I've loved knights, castles, dragons. the whole sort. This movie, quite simply, puts the viewer into an imaginative world where everything seems real. Second, the characters are so enjoyable to watch, you really begin to feel for them - all of them. Even humperdink, whose name does him justice, gets pity at the end. Lastly, the grandfather's list of the qualities of the book at the very beginning are all true... this story has everything. That is why it is such a classic, when everything comes down to it. From the moving love story between Wesly and Buttercup, to the dynamic and brilliantly scripted duel between the Man in Black and Indigo, to even the hilarious bickering from Vezinni to his lovable giant, Fezzik... This movie finds a place to include EVERYTHING one can imagine. The story moves along at a great pace, and you feel as though the whole land has been covered when the book is closed. Furthermore, the whole conception of using the "telling a story" approach doesn't taken away from the realism of the story, but raises it even more by showing how mesmerized the boy is, listening to the tale - just as we are, in front of the screen.

Maybe it was how I was captivated to the screen, watching it as a child... Maybe it was how I'd pop the movie in and turn a boring Sunday afternoon an exciting adventure as I grew up... Or maybe it's how I can sit down with friends and all enjoy the movie together, laughing at its funny parts, and cheering at it's exciting moments. The movie has a place in my heart, and that will never go away. A "10" on the scale, and even these words, can't begin to tell how much I love this movie.
246 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great adventure film in somewhat the same style as other great fantasy adventures like The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride takes us on a wonderful trip along with fascinating and enormously amusing c
Anonymous_Maxine6 August 2002
I'm not exactly sure what exactly it is that makes The Princess Bride such a spectacular film. Or, at the very least, I just can't pinpoint a single characteristic about it that really rises above all others as the main reason that no one should miss it. Indeed, it has a title that should prove to be remarkably uninteresting to the typical action adventure fan (okay, MALE action adventure fan), but even the most die-hard Die Hard fan would love this film. It is extremely important not to judge this film just because it has such a flowery and dangerously (at the risk of sounding shallow) girly name, because it is full of wonderful adventure and even some good killing and violence. Does this belong in this kind of romantic comedy? Absolutely! The cover box of the film looks like that of a cheesy romance novel, but the film is truly great from start to finish. And, indeed, the film is very aware of the superficial impression that it leaves, and it even presents it directly through Fred Savage's initial response to his grandfather reading him the story. But as the film goes on, we begin to have the same reaction that Fred has. We can't get enough.

Cary Elwes delivers by far the most outstanding performance of his career as Westley, the love-struck servant to Buttercup, a beautiful blonde woman living in a misty romantic fantasy world. Sadly, Elwes' later career has been punctuated by roles that do not serve him well, especially after such a stunning performance in this role. Liar Liar and Twister come immediately to mind. Robin Wright also gives one of the best performances of her career in her film debut here as Princess Buttercup, but the real quality of the performances that makes the movie so great is the fact that they were able to pack the film full of comic relief (it was nearly nonstop from start to finish) without taking anything away from the tension or the overall respectability of the film. It is interesting to consider the polar opposite effect of the comic relief on the vast majority of the James Bond films. Wallace Shawn is absolutely hilarious as Vizzini, the bonehead villain who is completely convinced that he has the whole world figured out, Andre the Giant delivers a lumbering but highly impressive performance as Vizzini's enormous, idiot sidekick, and by far my favorite of all, Mandy Patinkin creates one of the most entertaining and likeable characters created in a film in the entire decade of the 1980s (`My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!').

This is great stuff. Told as a story read from a book, just like The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride provides a magical mix of romance and fantasy and action and comedy to provide an enormously entertaining film for moviegoers of all ages. The Princess Bride is an absolutely wonderful film that is truly not to be missed.
147 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly one of the most enjoyable films ever made...
Sagitta862 March 2004
"As you wish..." "Inconceivable!" "My name is Inigo Montoya..."

I love this film so much.

From its opening scenes of the young boy being read a story by his kindly Grandfather to the romance, action, adventure and fun of the fairy tale. The Princess bride tells the tale of the beautiful Buttercup (Robin Wright) and her true love Westley (Elwes)who become separated through the course of an unfortunate event involving some pirates. Westley's destiny is to rescue Buttercup from the clutches of an evil Prince so that they might be together again. Yet he's not bargained on some of the wonderful characters that he will meet (and befriend) along the way...

This film is so deliciously acted, made and written that it is a treat to watch.I've lost count of how many times I've seen it now. But every time I still gain the same enormous amount of pleasure from watching it. A movie that is a delight for the young and just as much fun for everyone else.

The actors are all superb in their roles ('perfect casting' does not come close to describing it!) A young Cary Elwes is suitably dashing as our cocky hero (check out the sword fighting!)and Robin Wright is good as the beautiful Buttercup. Mandy Patinkin is great as the vengeful Inigo Montoya who utters that famous "you killed my father. prepare to die" line. Everyone else gives there all, including Christoper Guest, Chris Sarandon (as the main villian), Wallace Shawn, the late Andre The Giant,Mel Smith, and Billy Crystal.

Even though it is about 18 years old, the humour and sly jokes are still as sharp today as they were back in 1987.You know you are watching a great movie when you here Elwes' "To the pain..." speech near the end. You've probably seen The Princess Bride. If so...go and watch it again. Right now, and remind yourself how good it is! And if you haven't- what are you waiting for? Go and check it out now! It's worth it! Hands up who can quote this entire film off by heart! ;)

Watch out for:

The R.O.U.S's Elwes' and Patinkin's Sword/word fight The Miracle Max scene When our heroes storm the castle (Go Inigo! Go Inigo!) Elwes' "To the pain..." speech. (Superb. Shows what a great (and unfortunately underused) actor he is)
132 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A satiric comedy with humor and sadness, dark with the light.
llltdesq28 September 2003
This film is an intelligent, sardonic send up of several genres that pokes fun (affectionately) at fairy tales, swashbucklers, love stories and basic conventions of film. One of my favorite scenes is where Inigo Montoya first confronts his quarry after years of searching. His adversary does the unexpected-and what most villains in real life WOULD do under the same circumstances, with hilarious results in the scene. Basil Rathbone probably whirled in his grave!

Not by any means Citizen Kane (we already have one of those, anyway) but a champ in its weight class, with a perfect score, a fine script and good performances. Far more true to the flavor of the original fairy tales that it spoofs than even the best of Disney's takes. I loved it the first time I saw it and love it more now. Well worth watching. Recommended.
111 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic fantasy for all to enjoy.
emeraldnum0112 March 2001
The Princess Bride is a wonderful family film about a maiden named Buttercup and her "farmboy" Wesley. When Wesley goes away to seek his fortune, he is reported to be killed by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Hearing this really gets Buttercup down, and it only gets worse when Prince Humperdink chooses her to be his bride.( Hence the title) To make a long story short and not give away the ending, Buttercup's kidnapped for suspicious reasons and rescued by someone familiar. She's in love and nothing can stop true love! A couple of deaths, a would be wedding, revenge fulfilled, and a couple reunited end this gala of a film. But this doesn't even sum it up, I promise! I love this film because it does not take itself too seriously and flows well across the screen. The main characters and their supporting cast are quirky and memorable. You will be repeating classic lines like, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" over and over again. Through the adventures of Wesley and Buttercup you feel drawn to the characters and fall in love with their ability to amuse you. Do you want to be entertained with a light hearted fantasy/comedy? Then head on over to your local video store and pick up a copy. Ready to enjoy? "As you wish."
130 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A joyous tale
vortex-417 October 1998
The simplest pleasures in life are the best, and this film is one of them. Combining a rather basic storyline of love and adventure this movie transcends the usual weekend fair with wit and unmitigated charm. Every character is a delight and you just want to see more of them. "The Princess Bride" is based on the unsurpassed novel by William Goldman, who also penned the screenplay. While this is a movie review, I cannot recommend the book on which it is based more highly. It is quite simply the most humorous, enthralling fable ever written and will fill in many details that were impossible to include on the screen. The only other movie of this type that I can think of that is this much fun was Danny Kaye's "The Court Jester," another costumed comedy/adventure/romance that I also highly recommend.
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True Love Conquers All
aerator19 April 2004
Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, and Robin Wright Penn star in this classic fairy tale entitled The Princess Bride. It is based on a novel by William Goldman, who also wrote the screenplay. Director Rob Reiner brings life to this story and effectively evokes the enchanting spirit of the witty 1973 novel.

The movie opens with a sick boy (Fred Savage) who receives a visit from his grandfather (Peter Falk) who intends to read to him from his favorite book. The boy is not exactly pleased to be distracted from his world of video games. However, his mood quickly changes as he and the viewer are transported to a place out of time. We are taken to Florin, a kingdom in an imaginary land, complete with dashing heroes, cowardly princes, rhyming giants, rodents of unusual size, fancy swordfights, and yes . . . even some kissing.

This fairy tale begins on a farm in the countryside. There lives a beautiful, young woman named Buttercup (Robin Wright Penn) who learns that "as you wish" really means "I love you" when she falls for her farmhand Westley (Cary Elwes). While trying to seek his fortune, Westley disappears at sea and becomes an apparent victim of the Dread Pirate Roberts. A few years later, Buttercup, who is now engaged to Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon), is kidnapped by a trio of misfits, which includes brains--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn); brawn--Fezzik (André the Giant); and sword--Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin). As they sail away toward the Cliffs of Insanity, they notice the pursuit of a man in black. Now begins the adventure . . . .

The central idea of The Princess Bride is that true love can conquer all. Throughout the movie, there are many hardships and trials that true love must endure. The movie keeps the viewer guessing until the very end whether or not there will be the classic fairy tale ending.

This movie is appealing to me because of the classic fairy tale style combined with the witty humor, well choreographed action sequences, and intense instances of suspense. The characters are well developed and all the actors give an amazing performance which adds to the overall appeal of the movie. The Princess Bride is easily one of my all time favorite movies.
80 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie will charm it's way into your heart
Smells_Like_Cheese18 November 2003
The Princess Bride is one of those rare, but very perfect films that everyone once in their life time has seen. Just because it is such a loved film, how could you not love it? It has action, romance, revenge, sword fights, true love, humor, friendship, etc. I was only 2 when this film was released, but I still remember how much I was in love with this film at 4. I would rewind the tape and watch it over and over again, the funny thing was my parents wouldn't mind watching it with me, it appeals to children as well as adults. I think the reason why this was such a fantastic film was due to the fact that it was the perfect mixture of a fairy tale with humor, action, and romance. Rob Reiner really knew what he was doing when he made this movie; and it all starts with a grandfather simply reading his favorite childhood story to his sick grandson.

Buttercup and Wesley are two farm people who eventually fall deeply in love, but in order to get money to get married, Wesley goes off to find a job and start a life for them. But when Buttercup hears of Wesley's death by pirates, she is taken away by Prince Humperdinck who is about to make her his bride. She is then kidnapped by three rebels who wish to start a war with the prince, Vizzini, Fezzik, and Indigo Montoya(who is on a revenge streak to kill the six fingered man who killed his father). But she is saved by an unknown pirate who later reveals himself as Wesley who escaped death, but Buttercup is taken once again right as she and Wesley are reunited by Prince Humperdinck. The prince orders to torture Wesley and kill him to keep him away from Buttercup, but Wesley ends up being saved by Fezzik and Indigo who will help him save Buttercup.

The Princess Bride is a classic film that will never be forgotten. It has classic lines like: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father prepare to die. And of course INCONCEIVABLE repeated constantly by Vizzini. The acting is perfect and the sets are just amazing. Of course who could forget Billy Cristal and Carol Cane's great performance of the miracle worker and his wife? They were just priceless. Please watch this movie, it's one of those movies that's just impossible not to like, why not to like it would be inconceivable.

62 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic and funny fairy tale
jenpcraft3 July 2003
I love this movie! It's sweet, but with satirical humor. The dialogue is great and the adventure scenes are fun. Rob Reiner shows an excellent touch once again with comedy and a childlike point of view. It manages to be whimsical romantic while laughing at the conventions of the fairy tale genre. I would recommend it to just about anyone. I've seen it several times, and I'm always happy to see it again whenever I have a friend who hasn't seen it yet. I haven't watched it with any kids, but I think it has lots for them too. There are wonderful quotes throughout. I think Mandy Patinkin absolutely steals the scenes he is in as the Spaniard Inigo Montoya, bent on avenging his father's death. I gave it 8 out of 10 mainly because it feels very light, but I may go back and change to 9 thinking of how happy this movie makes me and it's rewatchability.
71 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfection.
fern_parsons24 October 2014
I very rarely like to put 10/10 for a rating of something as I feel nothing is perfect. However, this movie i feel is so close to that 10/10 it would be wrong not to award it this. Although it may not be the greatest movie ever made, it is brilliant in its own right. The characters are humorous, the dialogue is witty and the cast is brilliant. It contains so many different elements which also make it a really good family film. Action, adventure, sword-fighting, pirates, romance, comedy and fantasy. It captures all the elements I could Whilst I still stand by the fact that the book is better, this is still my favourite film.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while."
classicsoncall21 November 2017
On my own, I would never have watched this movie based on the title alone. But it's in the IMDb 'Top 250', so as I manage my viewing to go through that list, this one came up in it's proper turn. I'd have to say this one was more than a surprise. It was fairly entertaining and I don't mind saying it had the very best sword fight I've ever seen in any movie, which is saying something because I've seen Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power and Douglas Fairbanks in action, and I don't think any of them could have held their own with either Dread Pirate Roberts/Farm Boy Westley (Cary Elwes) or Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin). Now there could have been some special effects involved there, but if so, it wasn't transparent. Those two put on quite a show.

The story also had a few pretty cool concepts like the shrieking eels and the Cliffs of Insanity. The Fire Swamp and the Lightning Sand were kind of original too. The convoluted turn of phrase that old Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) engaged in trying to outwit the Dread Pirate was pretty amusing, and if you try to keep up with it you'll be hopelessly lost, so best not even to try. It was also neat to see Andre the Giant in the film, one of the wrestling world's all time favorites. Interesting, but when he spoke he sounded kind of normal, unlike his in-character TV interviews where he had a much more guttural and heavily accented voice.

With all that going on, it's easy to forget that the Princess Bride tale is a story within a story, as a grandfather (Peter Falk) attempts to carry on a long family tradition of reading a favorite book to his grandson (Fred Savage). It doesn't sound very favorable at the outset with the romance and the 'eeeuw' kissing, but the kid warms up to the story when it sounds like there will be some action and adventure. If I had to come up with a minor nit-pick, it seemed like the picture got a bit more slapstick in the final third of the movie. Otherwise the humor was well placed and I thought it made for fine family fare.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film holds up after 30 years
The_Film_Auditor17 July 2018
The Princess Bride has been a film that I've always wanted to watch but never got the opportunity until now (Thank you Goodwill!). After finishing the film, I can see why it's close to so many people's hearts. Throughout the film, I caught myself smiling at moments and bursting with laughter at others. It is a very easy watch. The story's pace is great, making the viewer captivated and invested in the characters throughout the entire film. This is done with the help of some fantastically choreographed sword fighting, hilarious jokes, and an array of diverse characters.

Even though I enjoyed this film, there are some things I can nitpick. I noticed many continuity errors while watching the film; not that it really matters, but it was sometimes distracting me from the story. I also felt as though there were times where the plot was too convenient or over the top. This could have been intentional since most child bedtime stories are outlandish, but there were scenes such as when they break into the castle that had me scratching my head and saying what the??? There were also parts of the film where I felt as though characters knew things or had things that they probably wouldn't, like when Fizzik pulls out a random black robe from his sleeve. That was confusing, but again, I might just be missing the humor behind those parts.

Even though I had some tiny issues with the film, I still had fun with this movie. There were many moments that reminded me of when my dad used to read stories of knights and pirates to me as I fell asleep. This childhood sentimentality mixed with the feelings of whimsy and familiarity while watching the film is why I think that this film was such a fun experience. I would definitely recommend this film, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think most will find something fun about this story of silliness, revenge, and true love.

The Good
  • Acting
  • Hilarious/comedic timing
  • Captivating story

The Bad
  • Continuity errors
  • Plot holes
  • The grandpa/grandson story sometimes getting in the way
As good as it gets
wkforeman28 May 2018
Maybe a spoiler at the end....maybe. It is 2018 and this movie is now 31 years old. I am pushing 70 and have watched several thousand movies. For clean family-viewable entertainment, this has to be in almost everyone's all time top ten. Or five. Mandy Patinkin, a very fine actor, was never better than as Inigo Montoya, the Spanish swordsman. Robin Wright, barely 21, was exquisite as Buttercup. Cary Elwes has never, IMO, been quite as good as he was as Westley...but then, he was superlative as Westley, setting the bar very, very high. All of the acting ranges from good to great. The inclusion of Andre as Fezzik was random "geniusness"....it just worked, and worked oh so incredibly well. I have watched this movie many times and I still love it. The outer wrap of grandfather Peter Falk reading the story to his grandson Fred Savage takes the "Family Friendliness" rating to a fifty on a 1-10 scale. There are many, many characters to enjoy in this fanciful tale; my personal favorite has always been Inigo Montoya. The sword fight scene remains, for me, one of the finest pieces of dramatic comedy I've ever seen, no matter who was the victor.
Don't Let the Title Fool You
ThePiousPatriot6 May 2016
I put off seeing this movie simply because of the title. I figured that this was just another chick flick. It's not...

I have been told by many that I have to watch this film. I hear people throw out words like, "great", "classic", and "must see". Even my wife said to me, "You're a collector, and never seen the 'Princess Bride'?" So, I gave it a shot, and I loved it. I can't put my finger on the reason why though. I must say though, that there's something about this movie, it grows on you, and I do love it now. Let me tell you a bit about it:

Hard to talk about without giving away spoilers, so forgive me if there isn't much info here, but I hope this helps you. Let me start by saying that this is a great movie to watch whether you're alone, with your friends, or even with your girlfriend. There's action, though not intense like say, Bloodsport. There's A TON of comedy. There's a love story. A fantastic cast. Sword fights, monsters, poison, dungeons, castle sieges. What more could you ask for? Despite all of these things, this is not a very serious film. Which some people like. For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a serious medieval period piece like "Kingdom of Heaven", sometimes I'm in the mood for the opposite, like "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" I would say that, in terms of seriousness vs spoof, this film is sandwiched exactly between "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Men in Tights". Not too spoofy, but not one that stays with you and keeps you thinking all night either.
Action, Adventure, Romance, Sword Play, Witty Dialogue
aquaalexhart19 November 2015
Cary Elwes and Robyn Wright in a fantasy story of epic proportions, how can you improve on that? Even with Peter Falk as the Narrator being interrupted by his grandson Fred Savage just seem to fit and rather than distract from an epic movie it just enhances the viewers experience.

The Princess Bride is a fantasy romantic adventure movie with just the right blend of comedy, action, adventure and romance to suit everyone's taste.

I love Andre the Giant as the Brute, Fezzik. Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya will forever be to me the perfect model of a Spanish duelist.

His line from the move is almost as famous as the movie itself. "My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!"

And the fight scene between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black is truly epic while still being tongue in the cheek.

This is a movie nobody should ever try to remake, just watch the original and fall in love with it as you do the characters.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny. Timeless. Must watch.
arreis-eathacks23 October 2014
The story is catchy and I like the dialog - they are witty. I laugh so hard especially the scene when the Man in Black is trying to climb up The Cliffs of Insanity without the rope and Montoya tried to rush him because he cannot wait to kill him and the torture scene when the Count trying to get a survey from Westley (I mean who does that? But it works). From that point on things got crazy. The Princess is beautiful and Westley is amazing with his "as you wish" romanticism and charming gaze.

The bond between the boy, played by Savage, and his grandfather is sweet and almost comedic especially about the kissing scenes. Overall, the story is very funny and I think it catches the attention of many people despite its ridiculous story line like reviving Westley that "mostly dead". The characters are all funny and I can't stop laughing and I'm going to watch it again in a few seconds.

Watch this with your kids and friends.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of a theory than a review
AlsExGal1 January 2017
I didn't have this theory about "The Princess Bride" for years, until I came close to the age of the grandfather that Peter Falk portrays.

Here's my theory. The grandfather goes to the bedside of his grandson, portrayed by Fred Savage, prepared to do what grandfathers do - read him a story. But no, the grandson protests. Does it have sports in it? This is a silly "yucky" story full of kissing. Skip the kissing parts! So the grandfather decides to teach the grandson a lesson (the beginning of my theory). He takes what was probably a straightforward tale of love lost and found again, of giants and evil princes and rescues and magic spells, and embellishes it with the wisdom that can only come from living sixty years on this planet. Because, let's face it, The Princess Bride as we are told has much wisdom in it.

What are the chances that a story that has been around for a hundred years has lines such as "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia". Only somebody who lived through the Vietnam War era (the grandfather) would come up with this. Too bad Dubya wasn't read this book as a child. Then there is the bit about the Dread Pirate Roberts - an unseen villain who turns out to be a series of villains. He would tuck Wesley into bed each night after he captured him and say "Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." What other sentence so captures the sentiment of working for large corporations these days who will throw you out into the street without a backwards glance? The book hits how people believe something is real or not real based merely on their feelings about it with this zinger as Wesley carries the princess through a dangerous swamp. She cautions him about the ROUS's (Rodents of Unusual Size). Wesley's defense - "I don't think they exist". One immediately attacks.

And finally a great quote about love. An angry Prince Humperdinck after being rejected by Buttercup goes to where Wesley is about to be tortured and states "You truly love each other, and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the storybooks say." Only after kissing frogs for decades can I say this is so true. And on it goes.

Thus most of the wisdom of living modern life can be found in this tale within a tale, and I highly recommend it for its humor, its wisdom, and uniqueness. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Princess Bride
Coxer9925 March 1999
One of those great treasures that you cannot dislike. No matter how many times you see, it takes you breath away, makes you laugh and gives you a taste of the old swashbuckler films of the 1930's. Rob Reiner directs this wonderful romance-comedy-adventure with passion and wit. A classic in a class of its own.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A personal favorite, but mediocre. The whole greater than the sum of its parts.
cgf37623 October 2011
Despite the glaring flaws you will find in this movie. It remains one of my favorite ones to watch for a number of reasons.

1) It has EVERYTHING! Action, comedy, drama, suspense, revenge, fairy- tales, heroes, villains, pirates, giants, miracle men, even rodents of unusual size. There is a reason it is always among the list of Best Movies, Funniest Movies, and Best Love Stories of All Time.

2) The CAST. Hard to name a more fitting princess than the beautiful Robin Wright, Cary Elwes can sweep you off your feet as a farmboy or a masked man, Mandy Patinkin delivers the most memorable quote of his career, and the rest of the ensemble transport you into their magical world.

3) It has ROBIN WRIGHT in it! Did I say that already?

4) It brings out the KID in me and the nostalgia of those days. If only for two hours you can go to a distant land and be on an adventure and feel positive and young again.

5) It has plenty of MEMORABLE LINES and scenes.

SOME MISSES: - SPECIAL EFFECTS are pretty lame, even by 80's standards (the rodents could not have been more fake and some of the props are sub-standard) - STORY: Predictable and full of clichés - SCRIPT/DIALOGUE: While there are numerous memorable lines, they are repeated too frequently throughout the course of the movie. The script was simplistic. And to be objective, not too funny for most adults. - ACTING: There isn't much depth to any of the characters but the script didn't give the actors much to work with, for starters. Younger audiences may not notice it, but older ones may cringe in some scenes - CHEESE FACTOR: oh boy, it has plenty. It openly deals with "True Love" in a fantasy environment so it's pretty much set-up for sappy-ness.

FOR: - People who still have their inner child intact somewhere - Family movie night - Slumber Party with the girls - Reminiscing with others who have seen this movie as a kid

NOT FOR: - Kids who are too young (who might get scared by giant rats, some fighting, torture, talk of killing, and kissing scenes) - People who take themselves too seriously or are jaded cynics - Grown-ups who will be seeing this for the first time and have been misled by the high ratings

BOTTOM LINE: Cheesy Mac & Cheese with bacon bits. My favorite food ever since I was a kid. It was yummy then and still yummy now and I don't have to explain why I love it, I just do. If only for the fact that I've carried my love for this movie since childhood, my sentimental attachment to it would give it a 10/10.

But then my Mac & Cheese, no matter how yummy, is never gonna get 3 Michelin stars next to a dish with fancy truffles. As a MOVIE, stripped of my nostalgia, this one is mediocre at best. There are more imaginative fantasy movies, funnier comedies, more romantic love stories, and more exciting adventures.
41 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
rainbowapplefizz29 March 2018
So as of January 2018, I had not seen this movie. One night, my daughter and I decided to watch it on cable and we were immediately hooked. I really enjoyed the pace of the story and it had all the makings of a classic fairytale story. I was really pleased with the actors, the characters, and the family friendliness of the movie. It makes me really sad that I resisted seeing this movie for so long because I could've enjoyed it a lot over the last 30 years!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ultimate story of Love Passion, and of course a few good sword fights.
mardijf2 January 2008
A fast paced love story that has everything in it... "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..." everything you could ever hope for. It has those corny 80's special effects you just have to love. Brilliantly choreographed fight scenes, Andre the Giant playing a not so bright giant, who is very good at rhyming. There's a lost pirate, an evil prince, a not so willingly princess, and an adorably senile king. Not to mention, the Spaniard with a vendetta, the miracle max with a grudge, and the priest with a speech impediment. As well as a well meaning grandpa, and a young boy who learns an important life lesson. And for the girls it has this... "Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The End." ... o and of course it teaches us what to the pain means. Now ill leave you with these simple words AS YOU WISH
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"As you wish" means "I love you."
TxMike16 September 2001
By virtue of the "under 29" female vote, "Princess Bride" is somewhat overrated on the IMDB, but still is a good, fun movie. I rate it "8" of 10.

The recently-released special edition DVD is the one to view. The colors are nicely saturated in most scenes, it has 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, and there are lots of extras, including one of the better "making of" specials. One of my favorite actors is Mandy Patinkin, and here he is great as the Spanish swordsman seeking revenge for his father's death at the hand of the six-fingered swordsman played by Christopher Guess. This was Robin Wright's first film, as a 19-year-old, playing Buttercup. Cary Elwes is also perfect as her love interest. Andre the Giant, who died in 1993 at age 45, was so fitting in his role as the giant. Overall a fine cast and a fine, entertaining, funny film. A "comic fairy tale in a strange land" as read to a child.

The moral of the film, "True love conquers everything." How could anyone dislike such a story??
67 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inigo Montoya saves the day!
estebangonzalez1011 September 2015
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I know, I picked the most quotable line of this epic fairy tale (sorry for being such a cliché), but it was honestly the scene I enjoyed the most in this movie. Rob Reiner's The Princess Bride is one of his most revered films and it has become a cult favorite over time. I didn't fall in love with it however, but I can understand the appeal this romantic fantasy has on so many people considering it has it all: a tale of true love, adventures involving pirates, sword-fights, fantasy creatures, and a princess who is forced to marry against her will. The premise is no different from that of your typical damsel in distress fairy tale, but the way the film seems to be mocking and honoring those familiar elements at the same time are what makes it stand out. It has a unique innocent quality to it while remaining funny, charming, and sweet. Perhaps I would've benefited from watching this at a younger age, but having waited so long to experience it for the first time was a bit of an underwhelming experience. I wasn't swept away by its magical and fantastic elements and the love story didn't stand out from other romantic tales. There are several fun scenes and unexpected character interactions, but during most of the film I felt a bit bored. The satire works in parts and so does the fantasy, but it just felt too familiar to win me over entirely.

The screenplay was adapted by William Goldman from his own novel of the same name. Although for this film he uses a grandfather (Peter Falk) to narrate the story as he is telling it to his sick grandson (Fred Savage). At first the grandson isn't too keen about having his grandpa read him a story, especially because it starts off with kissing, but once the adventure begins he's hooked. There are occasional interruptions that bring us back to the kid's room, but most of the film takes place in this fantasy land where we are introduced to a very beautiful woman named Buttercup (Robin Wright) who falls in love with her farm boy, Westley (Cary Elwes). The two have found true love, but having no money to marry he embarks on a trip and promises to return to her. Buttercup is shattered when she hears that Westley was killed by a fearful pirate named Roberts. With nothing more to look forward to, eventually she gets engaged with Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) of Florin who promises to turn her into a princess. On the eve of her wedding, Buttercup is kidnapped by a man named Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) and his two hired henchmen, Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) a skilled swordsman who has promised to avenge his father's death, and the strong but gentle giant Fezzik (Andre the Giant) who really doesn't know no better. While holding Buttercup ransom and fleeing from the site, they discover that they are being followed by a mysterious man in a black mask. He catches up with them soon and the adventure begins as these men face off with one another and new revelations are made.

Allowing for the story to take place through this narrative style was one of the better decisions because it gave the film its unique dreamy style and it wasn't necessary to deliver realistic visuals. It was all part of the fantasy, although I would've preferred less interruptions, but I guess they had to give Fred Savage and Peter Falk some more lines. The relationship between Elwes and Wright was believable, but it didn't stand out because it was too familiar. However, they were both the perfect casting choice for these roles. It was Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya who stole the movie for me. I absolutely loved his character and the sword fighting scene was the highlight of the movie for me. It included a brilliant homage to Douglas Fairbanks (which I'm sure gave someone the idea that Elwes would be the perfect choice to spoof his Robin Hood character in a later movie). Montoya was probably the inspiration for Antonio Banderas as well when he was cast to play the Zorro. This character has become an icon and he was the saving grace of the film for me. The rest of the characters were OK, but he stood out. The exception and I think I'm in the minority here was Vizzini. I found Wallace Shawn's portrayal of him rather irritating and I couldn't stand him. There is also a hilarious scene with Billy Crystal playing a miracle doctor, who you'd only recognize due to his voice because he is heavily covered in make up to look like an old man. The Princess Bride had its strong moments, but somehow I never managed to fall in love with the fantasy and wouldn't consider it one of Reiner's best films. It does prove however what a versatile director he is because the film is very different from his other works. I'm still a bit shocked that the film is so widely loved, but I can't argue it isn't a good movie.

6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.