Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987) Poster

For Fans Only
utgard1422 June 2014
The police academy misfits are trying to help make Commandant Lassard's "Citizens on Patrol" neighborhood watch program work. Jealous Captain Harris does everything he can to make sure it fails. Most of the gang is here and likable as usual. Glad to see G.W. Bailey back from the first movie. Oddly, Art Metrano's sidekick from the last two sequels is still in this and is now Bailey's sidekick. I actually think it works better this way. Film debut of David Spade as a skateboarding recruit. Sharon Stone plays the requisite pretty woman Steve Guttenberg works his charms on. Love the '80s fads and clothing. The series is running on empty here but there are still some funny parts here and there. Bobcat Goldthwait gets most of the best lines. This was the last of the series to feature Bobcat or Guttenberg. The series really shouldn't have tried to continue without them.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why so Low?
iwatcheverything10 December 2003
Why is this movie rated so low? I admit that it is the fourth in the series and that is getting pretty ridiculous but this one has many memorable moments in it. Also where else can you go see Sharon Stone, David Spade, and a speacial appearance by a young kid at the time named Tony Hawke. No where else can you get so many people in one of their first movies. It is also still highly entertaining and causes me to laugh often. This is where you should stop watching the series however b/c they lose Steve Guttenburg and he is the only reason the series kept on for as long as it did. So don't give this a low score. Help it get out of the lowest 100 where other real horrible films belong.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great movie gangster of the 1980s – David Spade!!
Anonymous_Maxine5 April 2009
So what's happened so far? A gaggle of society's goofiest citizens have taken advantage of a new policy to loosen hiring standards at the police force and actually made it through despite efforts from all directions to get them thrown out. They embark on their first assignment, which is to turn around Commandant Lassard's beloved precinct 16, which has been dubbed the worst precinct in the city and given 30 days to turn around or suffer some major employee turnover, a fate which is relentlessly helped along by the eternally butt- kissing Captain Mauser. They display a spectacular feat of water-borne police work, saving the academy and then return in the next movie to beat the city's other police academy when it turns out that the governor decides it's not worth the money to keep them both open.

Oh, and of course you all realize who is in this thing, right? None less than Sharon Stone, David Spade in his first film, and Tony Hawk in an early stunt-skateboarding role! You gotta see this!

This time, Commandant Lassard has come up with a scheme he calls Citizens on Patrol (C.O.P. Get it? Get it?), in which he elaborates slightly on the plot of the original movie. You see, the police force has been stretched a little too thin and the public has developed a negative opinion of them due to the fact that they can't be everywhere at all times to stop every single crime in the city. So the natural solution, of course, is to train the public as deputy police officers and basically have briefly trained undercover cops all over the city.

In fact, so close is the resemblance to the first movie that we are even treated to a couple characters who are forced to join the police academy or face jail time – an idea suggested, of course, by Mahoney himself.

This is the best part of the movie, by the way. There is a hilarious gang of skateboarding punks who are disturbing the peace left and right, headed by none other than David Spade, who is a hardened urban predator if I've ever seen one. Thug life, baby!!

Sharon Stone also has a relatively small role in the film, although probably one of the ons that she would like to forget about, and Lieutenant Harris is back after being gone for the last two movies. All of the other relevant cast members return, with the addition of a new group of misfits, like the token fat black guy, David Spade and his idiot skateboarder friend, and Tackleberry's FATHER-in-law. Remember that guy? Who is always gleefully punching out his son? I can't wait until the grandparents start joining!

But don't worry, until then we have Mrs. Feldman to hold us over. Here's this sweet old lady living in a nursing home/military barracks and who has more of a love of all things camouflaged than Tackleberry himself. In fact, I was waiting the whole movie for her to tell her that she's his long lost mother, but no such luck. Something went wrong with the screen writing in there somewhere, but ultimately she turns out to be one of the most consistently funny characters in the movie. She's played with a good-natured smile by Billie Bird, who clearly enjoyed herself while making the movie. You can always tell when the actors are having a good time, and it always makes the movie better, which is good because this movie needs a lot of help!

Of course, it's not much different than the last three movies as far as being worth watching. Bud and his father are still trading punches and it's still more groan-inducing than laugh- inducing, people are still accidentally wandering into the Blue Oyster Club, which hasn't been funny for three movies by now (Proctor inadvertently wandering in naked was the high point of this gag, but also the point where it becomes the most clear that the joke has lost its steam), and Jones is still doing that Bruce Lee impersonation which was funny in the first movie when I was a kid, but as an adult not so much… But, Callahan has a great wet t-shirt scene that makes the whole movie worthwhile!

Oh, and was Mahoney's mischievous grin ever amusing? That poor guy, man. His reputation has for some reason become so tarnished that he is seen by most of the public as even more of a washed up has-been than, umm, well no one else really comes to mind. Bill Paxton? Nah, he's cool, I think. I never needed to forgive him for Weird Science, but Guttenburg unfortunately has a whole string of bad sequels to make up for, and Cocoon and Short Circuit are just not gonna cut it! At any rate, super-gluing the loudspeaker to Harris' face was funny, but why they missed out on the opportunity to have Harris screaming through it at high volume at the doctors in the hospital I just can't understand. The screenwriters are not scoring many points in this one!

But still, this is one of the better Police Academies so far. This one and part 3 are the best ones in the series that I've seen so far, despite the hilarious 1980s badness (there's a boot- legging crime lord, for example, who operates his illegal warehouse standing around with a fistful of cash and a hula hoop around his shoulders), but there definitely are some fun gags. Harris macing his armpits is one is one of the more memorable gags in the whole series, along with Mauser getting his hands glued to his hair, and I have to admit that I enjoyed some of the scenes of the original recruits trying to recruit the public for the new C.O.P. program. It's not a good movie, but it's a good Police Academy movie!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Big Letdown
Big Movie Fan20 August 2002
The first three Police Academy films were brilliant and extremely funny. Police Academy 4 was unexceptional.

It does have it's good points; we see the return of Harris, who is now a Captain and Zed continues his crazy antics but there's nothing particularly funny or memorable in this film. The first three films had you laughing again and again but Part 4 was lacking anything truly funny.

The ending was a bit of a letdown compared to the climaxes for the first three films.

It's also goodbye to Steve Guttenberg as Carey Mahoney who quit the series after this film.

Police Academy 4 was painfully average. It will probably be a disappointment to fans of the first three films.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The beginning of the end...
Mister-629 June 1999
Attention, all units; be on the lookout for a criminally bad sequel to a slowly devolving "comedy" series. All involved give new meaning to the term "bad cop".

But let's be fair...momentarily.

The first one was actually funny.

The second was negotiable.

The third had a lot more sight gags (I love sight gags).

But "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol" began to show the wear that the series and its regulars was going through. As a rule, every even-numbered sequel usually isn't very good and this one carries on the tradition.

At least while watching it, it gives you time to consider certain plot points:

a) How do complete idiots stay on the police force for so long?

b) Sharon Stone? David Spade? How desperate were they to get their bills paid?

c) I wonder what Steve Guttenburg is doing nowadays?

d) How many drugs did they let Bobcat Goldthwait take between scenes?

e) Why doesn't Leslie Easterbrook do more scenes standing in a swimming pool with a soaked-through t-shirt and no bra?

f) Corrinne Bohrer is kind of fetching when she stares into the camera, isn't she?

g) Tim Kazurinsky really SHOULD get contacts.

h) Does anyone else notice that the more writers it takes to write a movie, the worse it is?

i) Really, what IS Steve Guttenberg doing nowadays?

And by the time you've thought all these points through, you've actually generated more plot than this entire movie could muster in its whole running time. Congrats.

Just a couple of stars this time, guys. And seriously, just watch the first three PA movies; you'll be a lot better off.

By the way, if anyone can figure out what happened with Steve Guttenberg, let the rest of us know.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PA4: Not just another funny movie
jaxson-27 February 1999
"Citizens On Patrol", the fourth installment of the Police Academy is again shaped in the same mold as it's follow-ups: the slapstick, the crude humor, and sexual innuendos.

It's too bad that the writers of these movies couldn't think of something different than the same old thing, but what works works!

Kudos again to Michael Winslow and his vocal effects. Also thanks goes to the writers for giving Zed (Bobcat Goldthwait) a new love.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst of the bunch for me.
Aaron137512 April 2009
Of the Police Academy movies the worst of the bunch for me is the final movie in the series to star Steve Guttenberg as Mahoney. The jokes are the same, the cast is the same the only difference here is they are training citizens to help fight crime in a neighborhood watch type deal. Mauser is gone, replace once again by Harris and I liked Mauser better as he and Proctor to me worked better. Bobcat is back which is bad, as is most of the jokes in this very forgettable movie. Seriously, other than a plot point or two here and there it is very hard to recall this movie other than I did not care for it except for when Proctor ends up letting a whole slew of criminals escape and we have our typical Police Academy ending. I also remember the end with a hot air balloon and Harris. This one also tries to introduce new characters to the gang one overweight dude and an older lady stands out in my mind and for some reason in the next movie the overweight guy would be a cop which makes no sense.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adult gags and Juvenile gags do not mix.
s-woodier2 October 2007
This is a hard Academy movie to define. The humour is generally more smutty, keeping up the standards of the original, yet it also has awful gags about people slipping on skateboards and pidgeons secreting on policemen's shoulders. There are also jokes about farting, a sure sign of desperation. On the plus side, we see the return of G.W.Bailey as Captain Harris. That's about it on the plus side. The whole film looks rushed and is mostly set at night or on grey skied days that make it look awful. Not a pleasant film to watch. However, the public, including myself, flocked to see it. But, hey, you don't know what you're gonna get until you have paid your admission.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starting to "clutch at straws" to get a laugh.
sakura37717 May 2004
I'll admit, I enjoyed these "Police Academy" movies back in the eighties. Honestly, I really only have seen the first two in the theatre. The third one I saw on cable TV. Now that I've bought the box set on DVD, I can honestly say that it is at this 4th sequel of the "Police Academy" films, that they really should have stopped right here. A lot of the humor is predictable and (most annoyingly) often repeated. For example, Winslow (Larvell Jones), was doing his silly "karate man" humor excessively though many of the "Police Academy" films. If he only did this in one film, the humorous impact would have been cherished more. The first three "Police Academy" films are the best. Taking this predictable slapstick into four more follow-up films (with totally forgettable stories, was just a bit too much.) On a positive note, "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol" starred Corinne Bohrer as Laura. What a gorgeous blonde babe she is! And also, I'll have to admit that on the documentaries of the making of the "Police Academy" films, Leslie Easterbrook is still quite an attractive looking woman. Marian Ramsey still looks good, too.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I laughed til I bled. I split my pant laughing.
PathetiCinema16 August 2008
I am loving this movie very nicely.

I love the scene where the pigeon drops its shite on the policeman's shoulder. I split my pant laughing at this. I am still laughing now.

I also like the woman with the big tits. She has very big tits, indeed...Nice. Pant splittingly amusing.

I am laughing at the farting noises made by the black man. Very amusing. Pant splittingly funny.

I am laughing at the dog sniffing the crotch of the policeman. Very amusing. Nice. Pant splitter.

I am laughing at the golf ball smashing through the car window. Very amusing. Nice. I split my pant. Such was the hilarity.

I must go now as I am urinating due to laughter as I think of this superb movie. I have wet my pant. Damn. I must go now.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why? Why did they let it get this far???
mentalcritic29 December 2003
Indeed, that is the question many were asking in 1987, as the series soon turned into too much of a not so good thing. Sadly, it was only going to get worse from here. I've tried no less than three times to sit through Mission To Moscow, and it is just impossible. About the only reason to bother with episodes three through six is so you can see the final episode where Cast Member X decided they'd had enough. Or when Event Number X that was referenced in a sequel took place.

Another big problem with PA4 (and boy, there are many) is the change in target audience. Sure, episodes 1 through 3 could be enjoyed by children with two digits in their age, but the primary audience was adults who didn't have very high standards. Unfortunately, someone in the film studio must have decided that the writers have to please everybody, and so they watered down the humour as far as they could without getting a G rating. That, more than anything, is what hurts Police Academy sequels 4 onwards.

Steve Guttenberg must have taken one look at the finished product and wondered why he didn't quit about three films ago. Bob Goldthwait picks up the slack in terms of comedy, but his act is also watered down a tad too far, ditching any vocal expression of his character in favour of shouting and screaming at anyone and everyone. Which might work for a comedy about mental patients who have been neglected by the system for too long, but not when your character is meant to be a police officer. But then again, the whole premise is built on a notoriously shaky ground.

Every Police Academy film has at least one celebrity (other than George Gaynes) who wishes they had never appeared in the film. Sharon Stone gets her turn her, and despite what they say about her appearance in everything after Basic Instinct, at least she looks capable of acting. But amongst this lot, I'm sure a dead goldfish would appear to be emoting effectively.

Overall, PA4 gets a 2 out of ten from me. It stands as a good relic of what happens when you try to appeal to everyone, and it does have some genuinely funny moments, but it just cannot hold a candle to its predecessors, especially the first.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Citizens on Patrol
Smells_Like_Cheese22 July 2008
So I watched Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol last night, the one thing I really noticed here on IMDb is that the ratings just keep going down after each movie. But I still wanted to see them and judge for myself, I loved the first Police Academy, the second and third are cheesy, but they were fun still. Now onto Citizens on Patrol, I honestly liked this film, I know it was cheesy and cliché, but with G.W. Baily back in his game, you can't go wrong. Again, one of the things that surprised me is that they've been able to get the same cast back over and over again, we also have two of my new favorite characters: Zed and Sweetchuck. It was great to have the old gang back together, even if the movie needed a little work, they still made the movie very enjoyable.

The Police Academy is given a new assignment, there is a new program called C.O.P., Citizens on Patrol, taking regular people off the streets and turning them into cops. Mahony has taken a few misfit punks off the street and made them join, there's an old lady, there's the average or less then average people in the program as well. But Captain Harris hates this program and will do anything to shut it down, but when there is a jail outbreak, he may just have to rely on the C.O.P. program to help him out.

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol has it's good laughs here and there. I always love to watch the jokes the gang plays on someone, my favorite this time was how they super glued the mega phone onto Harris's lips. I would recommend this if you are looking for a couple laughs, I think people are bing a little too harsh on these films. They're the Police Academy sequels, they're light hearted and fun, they're meant to just relax and laugh for a bit at the stupid stuff. But I did feel like this is the weakest I have seen so far out of the sequels, it could have had more laughs, but it is worth the watch.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol
jboothmillard24 September 2008
The first film deserved to be an international success, so sequels were pretty inevitable, and they seem to get worse as they go on, still with few things to laugh at. Basically Cmndt. Eric Lassard (George Gaynes) decides the Police Academy is overworked and understaffed, so he comes up with the "Civilians On Patrol" (COP) program, allowing civilian volunteers to help the police. Obviously ex-graduates Sgt. Carey Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg) and old friends, Sgt. Moses Hightower (Bubba Smith), Sgt. Larvelle Jones (Michael Winslow), Sgt. Eugene Tackleberry (David Graf), Officer Zed (Bobcat Goldthwait, you may remember him being the bad guy in the 2nd film), Lt. Debbie Callahan (Leslie Easterbrook), Sgt. Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey) and Officer Sweetchuck (Tim Kazurinsky) are in charge of training the new recruits. Capt. Thaddeus Harris (G.W. Bailey) wants Lassard's job, so he is determined to see the COP program fail. Besides that, it seems the main villains are some skateboarding troublemakers, hardly what you'd call evil master criminals, just naughty kids. What surprised me was the appearance of young pre-Total Recall Sharon Stone, as Claire Mattson, a small love interest I guess of Mahoney. Also starring Derek McGrath as Butterworth, Colleen Camp as Mrs. Kirkland-Tackleberry, Home Alone's Billie Bird as Mrs. Lois Feldman, George R. Robertson as Police Commissioner Hurst, The Emperor's David Spade as Kyle and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective's Randall 'Tex' Cobb as Zack. Guttenberg hardly has any highlights, well, neither do many of the other regulars, and you could tell Guttenberg wanted to move on to other films, Winslow adds some entertainment with his self-made sound effects, including a rap while some civilians are exercising, but it's very pointless. It was nominated the Razzie for Worst Original Song for "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car", why wasn't it nominated any others, same for the two previous and just as awful sequels. Poor!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I grew up with this movie and I am still laughing!
landfall212131 July 2003
I grew up with the Police Academy movies, well 3-6 because the others were R-rated and I was "too young". This one was by far my favorite, too many hilarious scenes to mention, but a few classic include the unforgettable lifting of the portable toilet with Sgt. Mahoney inside onto a full football stadium. Every time I pass a portable toilet or a building crane now I think of that scene and smile. How great would it be to really be able to do that? Or the grand finale with the hot-air balloon chase. Movie magic indeed. The classic mix of new characters thrown in with the group from the earlier films. All I can say is this movie will make you laugh no matter what, I know it did it for me. These films shaped my life and made me become the person I am today.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of the 'Police Academy' movies!
jellyneckr2 July 2001
POLICE ACADEMY 4: CITIZENS ON PATROL is in my opinion, the best of the POLICE ACADEMY movies. It is extremely funny for a sequel. I have seen this movie at least ten times on television and I feel that this movie is one of the best movies of the 80's. It is truly hilarious. I love it. I think it is one of the best comedies ever made.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair
Michael_Elliott4 May 2009
Police Academy 4 (1987)

** (out of 4)

The police force is overworked and understaffed so they come up with an idea to train citizens so that they can patrol their own streets. Of course our gang gets a group of rejects that they must train into shape. This was the beginning of the end for this series and while there are a few funny scenes the thing still can't keep afloat. The regular cast including Guttenberg, Smith, Winslow, Graf and Easterbrook are back but we've also got G.W. Bailey coming back as Harris, the main villain from the first film. Harris actually steals the film and gives an energized performance but that still isn't saying too much as the screenplay is very weak and basically just recycles jokes from previous films. Even the regulars seem rather tired and bored. Bobcat Goldthwait is back as well but most of his jokes seemed aimed at his bad speech. Heck, we even get a pre-fame Sharon Stone and David Spade but neither add much. The best sequence for me has always been the one where the veterans try to teach the new guys that they aren't ready to be police and take them out on the case of a voodoo man who is actually being played by Smith.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This academy has seen better days
LeRoyMarko13 January 2007
Police Academy 1 was good, 2 wasn't bad, 3 was bad, this one is worst. Why keep watching? Well, to rate it! There's only a few laughs in Police Academy 4, a movie that should have a lot more. Painfully long scenes like the one where the kids are skateboarding themselves into trouble or the final chase on the sea-doos. The acting is the only bright spot (although some of the actors look tired). Good to see Harris back with his sidekick Proctor, but it's not enough to save the day. Don't rent this one. Take it out for free at your local library like I did.

Seen at home, in Toronto, on January 2nd, 2007.

58/100 (*)
Was this scene cut???
drumnbasslova29 July 2006
Okay, back in 1987 I was only five years old, but I was a little 'actress' at the time, and I did shoot a scene for this movie. Thing is, I think they cut the scene but I'm not sure because I haven't seen it since I was a child. If anyone's seen P.A. 4 lately, please let me know if there's a scene with a mom, a little boy (in a stroller) and a little girl eating an ice cream cone. The mom is talking to one of the cops who takes of his hat to say hello, and the little girl (me!) dumps her vanilla ice cream into the cop's hat. Not looking, the cop (I don't remember which actor it was) places his hat back on his head, and the ice cream splatters everywhere. It was a funny scene, so I don't know why they would have cut it! Lots of fun for me to shoot because they gave me a new ice cream cone for every take, and I laughed as the actor had to clean his head each time! LOL. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Tabitha. (btw, I'm not in the credits... I looked!)
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Already established characters begin to shine again.
HK_Key-Si_HK12 March 2018
Police Academy 4 upped its game a bit, even though we only get one new interesting character with Billie Bird aka Mrs. Feldman. Aside from that some of the already established characters such as Hightower, Zed and Sweetchuck begin to shine again. The action sequences were taken to a higher level (probably due to new director Jim Drake), and there are still a lot of funny moments to enjoy. However, you can slowly feel that the ideas are running short when it comes to establish new elements and characters. But I should give credit where credit is due. Four movies in four years for the same franchise is impressive. And Police Academy 4 is a fun movie!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only halfway through, and things already feel stale
TheLittleSongbird6 July 2017
As was said in my review for 'Police Academy 3', The best of the 'Police Academy' films will always be the original by quite some way. It isn't great and will never be a favourite comedy or overall film of mine, but it clearly knew what it wanted to be so it was easy to take it for what it was and what it set out to do.

It was followed by six sequels, and none of them were as good or even on the same level as the first, though admittedly some are worse than others. Most of them are actually being pretty bad or worse and lose what was enjoyable about the original in the first place. Worse was to follow in the series than 'Police Academy 4', but it was from this point in particular when the 'Police Academy' series felt stale.

'Police Academy 4' is not entirely irredeemable, it has its moments. It is enlivened by the welcome and much needed presences of George Gaynes and returning (and much missed in the previous two sequels) G.W. Bailey. Bobcat Goldthwait also tries his best and doesn't try as too hard as in the third film.

These two also have the best very sporadic moments, the most coming from Gaynes while Bailey's Harris' deodorant/mace gag being the funniest the film got, mean-spirited of course but it was one of the few moments that were actually funny. The music is infectious enough, with the exception of the god awful "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car" (which got a deserved Razzie nomination, losing out to "I Want Your Sex" from 'Beverly Hills Cop II').

Most of the humour really doesn't work. A lot of it feels laboured, and much of it was an uncomfortable mix of gross smut and juvenile immaturity. Am aware this is 'Police Academy' we're talking about, where one shouldn't expect too much and not take it seriously, but this was intelligence-insulting dumbness without an ounce of energy to make it slightly more tolerable.

Story is even thinner than the previous three films and with the pacing being so leaden it was difficult to forgive. Too many of the subplots are not interesting at all and not that well paced or resolved.

Apart from Gaynes, Bailey and to a lesser extent Goldthwait, the rest of the cast are not worth mentioning. Steve Guttenberg completely goes through the motions and it was clear that he didn't want to do another film in the series. David Spade has been much funnier and better since in a poorly written role, and Sharon Stone is lifeless as a character that couldn't have been more thankless. Jim Drake's direction is not as inept as that of the previous film but it does lack momentum and it does nothing with making the incredibly cheap-looking production values look more appealing.

Overall, pretty weak and the series was showing signs of being particularly stale at this point, but worse was to follow. 3/10 Bethany Cox
Captain Harris and Proctor
elo-equipamentos3 April 2017
How many times l watch more l like....Police Academy is an immortal series that never l'll forget,have seven movies and this won't to anybody...in fact few movies had so many continuations in cinema's history....Commandant Lassard is very funny and bit of nonsense but Captain Harris and Proctor stolen the movie with so many gags and outrage situations along the movie...they are a real stooges,but every characters helps in some way perhaps it's the secret of success of this fantastic series a priceless that never ending series!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big improvement over the last one
Leofwine_draca19 September 2016
The fourth instalment of the POLICE ACADEMY series is far from the worst. It actually had me chuckling in a couple of places and I think the mix of old and new talent is a good one. Certainly there's nothing that feels very fresh or alive in this film but somehow it just about hangs together and it's one sequel that feels most like the original movie.

The likable Steve Guttenberg appears for the last time in the series and seems to be enjoying himself, as do the supporting players like Michael Winslow and Bubba Smith. Bobcat Goldthwait is still an acquired taste but there you go. The gags, which come thick and fast, are a mixture of slapstick and lowbrow jokes, but I particularly enjoyed all the humour at the expensive of G.W. Bailey's character - that megaphone gag remains a good one. Even though it's very much an average kind of 1980s comedy, in the world of POLICE ACADEMY movies, POLICE ACADEMY 4 stands out as being miles ahead of the execrable previous instalment.
Better than the Third Movie in the Series
Uriah4320 February 2016
When "Commandant Lassard" (George Gaynes) comes up with a brilliant idea to develop volunteer citizens to help the police in their neighborhoods, he naturally turns to his best former students to train them. What nobody knows is that "Captain Harris" (G. W. Bailey) still harbors a tremendous resentment towards those in the police academy and will stop at nothing to make Commandant Lassard look bad in the eyes of all of his superiors. Now rather than reveal any more, I will just say that this movie wasn't quite as good as the first two films in this series--but it was better than the third. Much of this success can be traced directly back to Bobcat Goldthwait (as "Zed") who I thought was extremely funny. On the other hand, there were several scenes which reused the same tired, old scenarios from the first three movies which just weren't very effective the fourth time around. Likewise, in my opinion Sharon Stone ("Claire Mattson") was terribly under-utilized while "Billie Bird" ("Mrs. Feldman") was featured much too often. In any case, I have rated the movie accordingly. Slightly below average.
Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol
phubbs23 November 2015
Well here we are again and its back to training...again! Yep this fourth time around Lassard calls on his most loyal men to train up a group of civvies for his new programme 'citizens on patrol'. Naturally the resident bad guy (this time its back to Harris) doesn't agree with Lassard's plan so he and Proctor are out to foil their plans, so dastardly.

The idea behind this isn't too bad really, its a bit like special volunteer officers which we have here in the UK. So the general concept is sound, the problem is we are back at the academy focusing on training these new civvies and we're seeing all the same stuff all over again!!

To cut a long story short, seeing as I've explained what happens in the academy for the last three film reviews, we see every character doing their unique thing all over again. This means more martial arts from motor-mouth Jones, Callahan is in the pool getting her huge tits wet, Tackleberry is on the shooting range (where else), Sweetchuck gets thrown around the place a lot, Hightower is on voice commands and Mahoney is lurking around the stereotypical blonde bit of fluff and dishing out his good deed speeches left right n centre.

Everything in this film is virtually a replay on everything we've seen in virtually all of the last three films. The last three got away with it because they were more adult and the idea was still reasonably fresh, no longer does this apply. The whole film is very boring and extremely childish, on top of that nothing makes any sense now, its just bits n pieces thrown together.

Mahoney, Tackleberry and Hightower perform a very elaborate prank on the three young guys simply to prove they aren't ready for the real beat. This whole sequence is completely nonsense, as if you would go to all that trouble for nothing, its total filler that isn't even amusing. There is a fight sequence on a docked ship against some ninjas (!), no idea why this happens or how the officers end up at the docks but hey. I honestly feel they stuck this in simply to utilize Nogata who cameos here, also another martial arts sequence for Jones who appears out of nowhere. He just pops up for this fight from literately nowhere.

Add to that a vast amount of terribly cartoonish visual gags, pratfalls, blatantly obvious stunt doubles, terrible audio dubbing and pretty much no actual main plot (accept for the civvy training crap). There is a jail break midway through which serves as the big finale, this time its in the air with hot air balloons and old biplanes. Now I admit its all performed well with nice aerial stunts and whatnot but its so completely ludicrous. Why on earth would they chase the bad guys in hot air balloons? surely you'd just call in police choppers?? how the hell does everyone seem to be a dab hand at flying biplanes?? why am I even questioning a Police Academy flick? I might add that Hightower completely disappears for the last half of the film, odd, Bubba must have had better things to do.

This film is quite 'famous' I suppose for a few things, firstly its one of Sharon Stone's early films as she was slowly getting more recognised. Secondly there is a young Tony Hawks in the film showing his skateboarding skills and thirdly there is also a young David Spade as one of the civvy recruits.

This is easily one of the worst PA films in the franchise simply because they reuse every old trick and story sequence idea all over again. Yes I know most of the PA films do this but like I said up to this point in the franchise its been reasonably fresh. This just feels terribly dull, uninspired and has some of the worst comedy I've seen, you can't even call it slapstick, its just sh*t. Goldthwait as Zed is responsible for some of the worst acting, dialog and sequences in this film, not even Bailey as Harris can save this turd.

Just to really hammer home the final nail in the coffin, right at the end out of nowhere, Mahoney and Sharon Stone's character are seen floating off together in a customised Police Academy hot air balloon. No explanation about how or where this special balloon came from, its just there, one final silly sequence to really take you out of the moment (if you were in the moment in the first place that is).

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
manitobaman8118 August 2014
This one and part three are the best ones in the series that I've seen. Harris macing his armpits is one is one of the more memorable gags in the series. The cinematography is stark and bare, with only the soundtrack adding some effect. It's not a good movie, but it is a good Police Academy movie. The acting is very effective. From an artistic standpoint, there were some plot elements and character developments I didn't think were totally needed. They do however drive the story, which seemed to be their purpose, so I can accept them. We watch here a deep study of the rural countryside of the deep America. Great performances help to enhance this amazing story.