A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) Poster

The best Nightmare on Elm Street film ever made! Dream Warriors is awesome!
ivo-cobra81 November 2015
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) is definitely the best sequel horror slasher film in the series franchise! It is one of my personal favorite horror movies. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is my second favorite best film in the franchise that I just love this film to death! I love A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), this one A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) and New Nightmare (1994) to death! This one is the first best favorite film of mine and I just love everything they did in this film. My awesome favorite heroine Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) is back and better than ever! She is a bad ass! I love everything about this film everything and I love it to death!:P

"Welcome to Prime time, Bitch!"

This was a MAJOR improvement over the disaster part 2, The Gore FX were excellent and the story was well written. It's too bad Nancy was killed off it would have been nice to see her in future sequels. I love this horror slasher film to death it is very imaginative, entertaining, a good set of characters, some fun catchphrases/dialogue, a great Dokken song aka Dream Warriors...a lot of awesome stuff is in this one. Why I love this film? Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) returns which you already know I love the main heroine so much in the series franchise. John Saxon also returns as Det. Donald Thompson. Wes Craven is back as writer in this film, the movie is a little longer than the first and the second film. This is Patricia Arquette's first movie. In my opinion it is her first best movie alongside with Stigmata (1999) in other films she made were just awful or some sucked! Anyway I love Patricia Arquette here: She's beautiful, vibrant and has so much emotion in her lovely eyes. A really essential female lead for a film this big. This is how you correctly make a sequel. This one really felt like "Part 2" to me because of the continuation from the 1st movie. The hospital setting fit the theme perfectly and this one contains one of my favorite death scenes in the whole series. Also, 80's band Dokken recorded a few songs for the movie which is another reason why this is a must-see for Nightmare fans.

Chuck Russell is one of my favorite directors he directed The Mask (1994) with Jim Carrey that I love, Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger and The Blob (1988) a year later which I also love so much. I think he made great choose of casting the actors alongside with Wes Craven the idea and imaginative of the film flick were just really awesome, how they scramble in to making a movie! Robert England is pure gold in this film, seriously I just love his imaginative and portrayal of Freddy Krueger in this film! The man is the main legend as the villain in the series!, It has a cool premise and I really enjoy The characters. To me this is the 1st best horror sequel ever made after A Nightmare on Elm Street which is the second favorite one in the franchise. I Love this film so much.

I only have one major problem with the film and that is Nancy dies on the end of the film here. Even tough she dies, the death scene was awesome because it was honorable death! She stopped Freddy for hurting anyone else and Kristen Parker. The death scene was honorable to me because Kristen ( Patricia Arquette) was crying over her death and just love how Kristen showed how of a heart she has and that she is a good wonderful person and a human been. Wes Craven did not wanted to kill Nancy off. He did not like the idea that they killed her off! Jason Saxon as Donald Thompson is also killed by the end of the film which that shouldn't be in here also! The idea for local psychiatric hospital for teens in this film was just very brilliant and very imaginative praise to Wes Craven.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) who invades the minds of a new group of teens -- and the nightmares begin again. Local teenagers start dying and only Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) knows the truth. Now a doctor at the local psychiatric hospital, she is the lone survivor of one of Freddy's previous killing sprees. Now, it's a fight against her co-workers' disbelief and a race against time to stop Freddy before he kills again.

That's your basic plot. It does involve travel and invading in to the minds of a teen's dreams. 10/10 Grade: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval
89 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better 'ELM STREET' films in the series!
jellyneckr19 June 2005
I've been a fan of Chuck Russell's films ever since his 1994 classic THE MASK. Each one of his movies have a strong amount of slickness and energy, especially A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3: DREAM WARRIORS. It's one of the better 'ELM STREET' films in the series and was one of the cinematic highlights of 1987. Like THE LOST BOYS, which was also released in 1987, it has style, imagination, a good premise, and gore. It does have a few faults though. Some of the special effects are dated and look quite cheesy and the flick seems to rely more on blood than genuine scares at times. Also, while by no means terrible, Heather Langenkamp's performance is not quite up to par with her performance in the first 'ELM STREET' and NEW NIGHTMARE. Occasionally it feels like she's phoning it in. These faults don't hurt the movie too much. It's still a enjoyable horror picture that holds up relatively well today. It may not be as good as the first A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, but it's much better than most third installments are. I give it 7/10.
34 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easily the best of the sequels
Derek2371 August 2003
Dream Warriors is without a doubt the best Elm Street sequel. The first 2 dealt with just one main character against Freddy and everyone else thinking they're crazy. But of course, after a while people start realizing they're all dreaming about Freddy. And If he can use their dreams against them, they can also use their dreams against him. Brilliant!

This is where the deaths became more elaborate and Freddy started to spout out catchy one-liners. A lot of people resent this film for starting the whole 'joker Freddy' trend, but this has just the right amount of Freddy wit to still have him be scary and threatening, which really he is.

This is the most exciting, thrilling, imaginative Freddy movie of the bunch. You have to see it to believe it.

My Rating: 6.5/10
50 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the first, but better than the 2nd
Smells_Like_Cheese11 November 2003
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is the third installment of the Nightmare on Elm Street series. It's actually one of the better sequels that I enjoyed. I was lucky enough to get the Nightmare on Elm Street series boxed DVD set for my birthday. So I've now seen all the sequels and A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is a decent sequel. Not to mention it was pretty cool to see Patricia Arquette's first big role, I can't believe a lot of these movies how many stars started out in this series. It was also a nice touch that they had Nancy back for this film. The deaths are gory and Freddy is back and meaner than ever! This time he's after the kids in the mental institution and he's not going to go easy on them at all.

Nancy has now grown up and she's become a therapist for dreams, she starts her work at the mental institution where she meets Kirsten, a girl who has the power to pull other people into her dreams. Kirsten is a bit scared of her powers though and knows that Freddy wants to use her so he could pretty much squish several bugs with one stomp. But Nancy knows that Freddy is up to his old ways and wants to help Kirsten along with the other teenagers at the hospital that Freddy is after, but hopefully she can do it before it's too late.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors has one of my favorite nightmare sequences. I loved the puppet on the strings, only, well, I won't spoil it, you're going to have to trust me when I say that this was a very cool death scene. This is a must see for the Nightmare on Elm Street fans of course, but even you're just looking for a good scare, I promise you that you'll get a few chills from watching this nightmare. Freddy isn't going light when it comes to scaring these kids... to death.

62 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another bunch of kids try to stop Freddy.
Captain_Couth17 June 2004
Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (1987) was the third film in the Freddy Krueger series. This time around a hospital ward full of disturbed teenagers are the latest target for Freddy Krueger. Thanks in large part because the kids can't stop dreaming about the world's most famous serial killer/ child molester turned supernatural monster. Everyone should know by now that he likes to feed off the fear of the wee ones. Now with more people to add to his collection, Freddy decides to play ten little indians with the lot of them. That is until his old nemesis Nancy comes back into town to help the kids fight him off and end the nightmare. Will Nancy and the kids be able to defeat Freddy for good? Find out because this one's too good to pass up.

Not as complex as the last film but highly entertaining. This is the film that has Freddy morphing into his one-liner spewing act that has made him insanely popular. Fun stuff.

Highly recommended.
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This sequel seems to be less darker than the original and the 1985 sequel but it's extremely well made sequel that made Freddy a star.
hu6755 January 2006
When a terrified teen named Kristen (Patricia Arquette) is been stalked by a killer in her dreams by the name of Freddy (Robert Englund). When she wakes up, without knowing that she slits her wrist. She been sent to a mental hospital for troubled teens. When a new young psychiatrist specializing in Dream Thearpy is by the name of Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp). When Nancy finds out that Freddy stills haunt the frighten teens and knowing what Kristen is talking about. Most of the teens are now dreaming about the killer in their sleep. Nancy and Dr. Neil Gordon (Craig Wasson) are helping the teens to fight Freddy back with their dream powers and their help.

Directed by Chuck Russell (The Blob-1988, Eraser, The Mask) made an excellent scary sequel, which is closer to the spirit of the original Nightmare. This film has excellent visual effects are the highlight of this one, which is done by Oscar-Winning effects house "Dream Quest Images" (The Abyss, The Crow, Total Recall). This movie has good clever plot twists and it has the best cast from the series, including:Jennifer Rubin (Screamers), Bradley Gregg (Fire in the Sky), Rodney Eastman (The Caveman's Valentine), Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix Trilogy), John Saxon (Enter the Dragon) and Priscilla Pointer (Carrie).

DVD has an strong anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an excellent digitally remastered-Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. DVD also has the original theatrical trailer, Jump to a Nightmare Opinion and Cast & Crew information. On the "Elm Street" Series Box Set in the eighth disc. The DVD has interviews with the Cast & Crew, a Music Video and Bits moments from MTV with Englund's appearance as Freddy.

This was a much bigger hit than the previous two "Elm Street" films. This film has amusing cameos by Dick Cavett and Sza Sza Gabor, who play themselves on Television in a memorable scene. Englund as Freddy has some amusing memorable one-liners. Written by Wes Craven (The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left, Shocker), Frank Darabont (The Green Mile, The Majestic, The Shawshank Redemption), director:Russell and Bruce Wagner (I'm Losing You). From a Story by Craven and Wagner. Do not miss this imaginatively directed flick. (****/*****).
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to Prime Time!
bwilson1241 August 2019
A person could make the argument that this is the best if the 80's slasher films. I would agree! It just creepy and dark enough to have some scares. But also started introducing the comedy that would actually become too overused in later sequels. Probably the best kills in the series.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best goriest sequel in the "Elm Street" series, it has the most creative deaths my number one favorite horror slasher film
NightmareOnElmStreetFan1 February 2019
The movie is about this girl Kristen Parker (Patricia Arquette) who is refusing to sleep and she is making this paper machete. Her mother forces her to sleep and she dreams about this house and this little girl is following her in house. Than at one point she holds the girl, she is a corpse. Kristen thinks she is awake, that she is still dreaming. She sees reflection of Freddy in the mirror, he silts her wrists. Her mom sews he and finds her and thinks she wants to commit suicide.

She sends Kristen to psychiatrist hospital. Where other kids were sent there for a suicide attempt as well. They also experiencing the same nightmare about Freddy Krueger. You got Phillip (Bradley Gregg) which he makes puppets, you got Kincaid (Ken Sagoes) who is a tough guy, you got Taryn (Jennifer Rubin) a drug addict, Joey (Rodney Eastman) who is mute, Will (Ira Heiden) he is by accident paralyzed his in the wheelchair and Jennifer (Penelope Sudrow ) who wants to be an actress. Those are the Dream Warriors. You got Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) returning who become a Westin Hills Psychologist to help kids in the hospital to defend them self against Freddy's fear. In this movie Nancy uses this drug called Hypnocil so that kids want dream about Freddy. So to defeat Freddy they need to put his spirit to rest and they need to use holly water to let the spirit to rest. The only person who know where Freddy's bones are hidden is Nancy's dad (John Saxon). That is the basic story.

This is my second favorite goriest slasher film in the Elm Street series it is the best sequel. I know it is people's favorite film A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) the original film are my number one favorite slasher movies they are equal. I grew up with that film. I never saw this film in my childhood only the first 2 movies and Freddy's Dead I saw as a kid.

It has a lot of dream sequences in the story, so many great things, great one liners by Robert Englund. Very invented the guy who is a puppet master he uses wines as strings Freddy uses to pull the guy and throw him off the building. Will has a wizard master powers uses on Freddy and Freddy says I don't believe in fairy tales, great one liners. Really cool stuff, Freddy is a little Freddy and get's bigger and turns in to Freddy which was part of a puppet scene. Big Freddy snake try's to eat Kristen, a lot good stuff in this movie.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) is a really good slasher horror movie, it come out the same year as The lost Boys. I have a t-shirt about this movie so much I love it. I do have a frame poster Dream Warriors hang on my wall so much I love this film. It is tied with the original A Nightmare on Elm Street film (1984). Very invented really good dream sequences, Freddy is a bad-ass in this movie, make up is awesome, he looks really good. Special effects FX are really good. They really took advantage of the dreams, they really pushed to limits what they can do. This was definitely a well budget like the last two movies, it was improvement over the second movie. I am glad they went back to basics and that Freddy is a spirit in your dreams I am glad they went back to that.

I am a big, big, big fan and I love this movie to death. Directed was by Chuck Russell who did a brilliant direction. The story was written by Wes Craven master him self with Chuck Russell, I love love Heather Langenkamp she is my favorite scream horror actress. I am huge Nancy Thompson fan and I just love her in this movie so much. Patricia Arquette as Kristen Parker was beautiful, smart, vibrant, she put how much heart and sole she has. This was Patricia Arquette's first movie and she was better than Tuesday Knight in my opinion. Jennifer Rubin as Taryn White was beautiful and bad she was A Dream Warrior and she discoveres her very own unique dream power that made her "beautiful and bad." When she utilized her dream power, Taryn's appearance changes significantly to a punk biker which is a bad-ass. I love Taryn White. Craig Wasson as Neil Gordon was fantastic and excellent he gaves a hypnocil to those kids so that this dreams stops. He gets holly water on the end Neil finds Fred's remains on a junk yard with Lt. Donald Thompson (John Saxon) the junk yard is my favorite sequence in the movie.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) is my number one favorite goriest slasher ever. Great movie, really good movie I recommend this one to Elm Street fans. It is kick ass movie with Dokken on the end of them playing Dream Warriors and of course Into the Fire I love those songs. I love this movie to death, it is an pair with the original.This is a classic and one of the greatest horror slasher movies. I put it in top 10 favorite horror films of all time.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hands-down, the best Elm Street sequel!!
Nightman8521 January 2006
Outstanding third entry in the Elm Street movies is definitely the best of the sequels and well lives up to the excitement of the original film.

Nancy is now a psychiatrist who must help some troubled youths that are in danger of being sliced by murderous Freddy!

It's not surprising that this sequel was written by 'Elm Street creator Wes Craven, who chose to leave the directing to Chuck Russell for this movie. Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is a fasted-paced, cleverly written horror fantasy that's the most entertaining of the Elm Street follow-ups. The movie plays out as a gripping thrill ride that's both chilling and darkly funny. There's a number of smart twists thrown in as well. 'Elm Street 3 also has the most dazzling and impressive special FX of the series, as well as some of the greatest nightmare and murder sequences. The marionette sequence with Bradly Gregg is a big favorite. The direction of Chuck Russell is slick indeed, delivering plenty of atmospheric darkness and energetic action. Even the maze-like sets are impressive. Charles Bernstein's Elm Street theme music is used once more. In addition there's also an awesome title rock anthem by the group Dokken.

Another high point in the film is the cast. Heather Langenkamp reprises her role well, as does John Saxon who appears once again as Langenkamp's father. Craig Wasson is a good hero as a doctor attempting to help the teenagers. Patricia Arquette, Ken Sagoes, Jennifer Rubin, Bradly Gregg, and Rodney Eastman all make for solid teenage characters. Of course Robert Englund is back as Freddy, who has a bit more of a cheeky sense of humor this time around.

One couldn't ask for a better Elm Street sequel than this one. It's a fun ride all the way for fans and is one of the best horror-fantasy films out there. Check it out.

Followed by a number of inferior sequels.

*** 1/2 out of ****
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe even better that the original
kurciasbezdalas13 January 2009
This part is more entertaining that the original. I always watch slasher movies only for entertainment, I don't care much about a dialogs (Psycho would be an exception, the dialogs was the best thing in it) or acting, all I want to see is some entertaining, sometimes funny looking graphic murder scenes and this movie has it. My favorite was TV room scene. I also find this movie being really creepy sometimes, what is not usual for slasher films, like that scene where Freddy made one of the kids fall from a window, the whole scene was kinda creepy. The plot was great, I liked the idea that this movie is set on mental hospital, that made this movie even more creepy.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Since The Original
evetilly16 July 2019
Dream Warriors finds a way to make adding backstory scary and effective and opens up the series to some very interesting possibilities. Heather Langenkamp (the original film's heroine) returns to help a group of teenagers in a mental hospital who have been driven mad by dreams of child killer Freddy Krueger.

The dream sequences are imaginative (and even a little scary), the stakes are high, and the characters and performances raise it above any other generic teen slasher that I can think of.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best
ronnieyearwood15 February 2019
This is one of the best movies in the series. I like the first movie the best but this is probably number two to me. Great scares, Englund is fantastic as Krueger. The acting is good. Good writing. Everything you would hope for in a movie like this!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better then Second part
sauravjoshi852 January 2019
This is the third instalment of Nightmare on the elm street and much better then it's second part. This movie relates to the first part and have some good horror movements. Not a perfect horror movie though but this will definitely entertain.
Pop Culture Thoughts
popculturethoughts27 December 2018
Buoyed by Wes Craven's strong screenplay, sure-handed direction by Chuck Russell and a compelling cast of characters, this second sequel to Craven's 1984 classic is much stronger than one might expect. The nightmare sequences are brimming with imagination and brought to life by impressive practical effects, while all the characters are likable and well-acted by a group of largely inexperienced but sincere performers. In addition this is where Freddy Krueger himself becomes a one-liner-spouting killing machine and it's the perfect continuation of the Krueger story, allowing Robert Englund to finally deliver on the star-making malevolence he deployed conservatively in the first two movies. This is one of the finest entries in the long-running series.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best sequel with the words "A Nightmare On Elm Street" in the title... hey, at least that's something
happyendingrocks30 June 2009
I must preface this review by admitting a certain sentimental attachment to this third film in the Elm Street franchise, simply because it was the first installment I saw. However, even judging it from the strictest critical eye, Dream Warriors is a worthy successor to the brilliant original, and it certainly has the distinction of being the best sequel of the series that retains "Elm Street" in its title.

Granted, there isn't a whole lot of competition on that front. While the concept of a maniacal killer who stalks you in your dreams was, and remains, a truly frightening and original punchline for a horror film, it's amazing how many atrocities were done with this powerful concept, as the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise is overall the worst extended horror film series of all time. While horror lore paints Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, and Pinhead as modern successors to the Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man, and Creature From The Black Lagoon rogues gallery of horror's classic past, Freddy's contributions are by far the most lackluster of the bunch. While the original Nightmare is a certified classic in its own right, the downward slide the series started right after it was only interrupted by Dream Warriors, and to a lesser extent, its follow-up, Part 4: The Dream Master. This duo was followed by a Part 5 that offered very little in the way of notable legacy enhancement, and this was in turn followed by Freddy's Dead, which is a largely unwatchable and pathetic embarrassment to the character. Though Freddy would be re-imagined to fantastic effect with Wes Craven's New Nightmare, which is by far the best true sequel to the original Elm Street (the fun and goofily awesome Freddy Vs. Jason notwithstanding), the Nightmare On Elm Street series boasts almost no sustainability as a franchise. Even though there have been subpar raisings of Hell, unmemorable Friday The 13ths, and massacres of Texas Chainsaws, Nightmare On Elm Street remains perhaps the most problematic horror franchise of all time, simply because so little justice was done to an original concept that seemed to promise so much.

But, I'm not here to review the series (although I'm sure I'll get around to each installment before too long). Even ignoring the wretched tripe that followed it, Dream Warriors holds up as a creative and well-executed Freddy tale, and had the film-makers followed the intriguing concept of individuals having powers in the world of their dreams to combat Freddy with, chances are, we would have gotten sequels with much more punch than what stands on the record. Kids with dream powers are certainly a more worthy foil for Freddy than dreaming babies, terrible 3-D effects, and Roseanne Barr cameos.

As it stands, not much is done with the idea here, either. We only get a few short glimpses at the powers hinted at in the film, and seeing how quickly a pre-dating Harry Potter wannabe and a Suicide Girls cast-away get thwarted by Freddy, these "special abilities" are rendered a bit mediocre.

But, for pure visual and visceral panache, Elm Street 3 packs more into its 90-minutes than any other film in the series. The film is almost an homage to special effects, utilizing every trick available at the time, and resurrecting ones that were seldom used in the era. The straight-up splatter is augmented with claymation effects, stop-motion animation, puppetry, and even pure camera tricks. Though Part 4 would employ all of these elements to even more fantastic effect, Dream Warriors maintains a darkness that keeps it true to its horrific centerpiece, while the films that followed continued to explore the fantasy-based elements of the character.

Some of the sequences still pack an indelible punch today, and I defy anyone not to cringe at the sleepwalking sequence. I have a friend who will not let anyone touch her wrists, and she told me this phobia stems directly from this scene. The neglect of an erogenous zone because it brings about thoughts of Freddy is certainly a powerful statement about the impact of a well-executed scare.

Having Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon back in the fold certainly helps things along, and the great performance from a young Patricia Arquette and equally strong turns from her peers in the film add some credibility to the teens vs. adults crux of the story. And, while Freddy certainly has his wise-cracks here, they aren't as over the top or prevalent as those we'd find in future installments. Here, he doesn't make a quip every 10 seconds, and when he does, most of the lines are witty and morbid enough to enhance, rather than detract from, the brutality.

As previously stated, it's a real shame that the series didn't progress forward in the direction hinted at here. For sure, we would have had future installments that were more scary than silly, and the Freddy character might have maintained what little menace he had left when Dream Warriors came out. A subsequent film that centered itself around the idea of actual Dream Warriors, with complementary dream powers that were fully developed and explored, certainly couldn't have been worse than what we ended up getting.

In the end, Dream Warriors remains a brief ray of light in a series that degenerated into nauseating disappointment. For that, it certainly deserves notice, and those who never revisited this chapter because of the sour taste left by The Dream Child and Freddy's Dead should give this outing another shot. We'll see how much life Freddy has left in him, but if his legacy has already been largely carved, Dream Warriors deserves to be mentioned on the tombstone.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Again Freddy Krueger killing teens in macabre and gruesome special effects
ma-cortes14 July 2008
Nowadays, a teens(Patricia Arquette, Jennifer Rubin, Eastman, Gregg, among them) jailed into a psychiatric hospital start to be haunted in their nightmares by scar-faced and dream-hunting Freddy Krueger(Robert Englund), a kind of spectre with horrible burns and large knives. He enters their dreams at will and again kill them. Nancy(Heather Langenkamp), the survivor from the original movie is a psychiatrist, and along with another medic(Craig Wasson) help the troubled adolescents to attempt to stop him . Furthermore, appears a nun who has a dark secret about those who originally burned him to death.

This is a reworking upon first film's plot by screenwriters Wes Craven, Frank Darabont and Chuck Russell. It's one of the best sequels from successful original film by Craven. Special effects realized by Dream Quest are the spotlight and startling make up by Kevin Yagher. Young casting and special appearance by John Saxon, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Larry Fishburne. Creepy and imaginatively made musical score fitting to terror movie by Angel Badalamenti-Twin Peaks-. Colorful and atmospheric cinematography by Roy H. Wagner. Followed by a handful of sequels, as 'Dream master'(1988) by Renny Harlin, and 'The dream child'(1989) by Stephen Hopkins, besides a Television series 'The Freddy's nightmares'. The motion picture is professionally directed by Chuck Russell. He's a horror movies expert, such as proved in 'Bless the child',and 'The Blob' and action movies specialist,' Erased',and 'the Scorpion King' and in production, 'Mandrake' .
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most satisfying sequel of the franchise!
TalesfromTheCryptfan7 January 2009
Six Years has passed since the events of the first movie, a beautiful blonde girl named Kirsten (Patrica Arquette) had a nightmare involving Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) which almost leads her to suicide as she ends up in a psychiatric ward with the other kids of Elm Street named Joey (Rodney Eastman), Taryn (Jennifer Rubin), Philip (Bradley Gregg), Jennifer (Penelope Sudrow), Will (Ira Heiden) and Kincaid (Ken Sagoes). However Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) who survived the original massacre now works as a psychiatrist who helps with patients who have dream problems and she's joined by Dr. Neil Goldman (Craig Wasson). However some of the patients seem to dream about Freddy as some of them get killed one by one, only Nancy has the answers as she wants some of those patients to join with her to battle against this evil cretin once and for all.

The best sequel of the series! after the very disappointing and yet homoerotic "Freddy's Revenge", New Line Cinema decided to hire Wes Craven back as he co-write a script with future "Shawshank Redemption" and "Green Mile" director Frank Darabont to ignore the events of part 2 and continue off the first one. Chuck Russell makes his debut for this one as it lead him to make "The Blob" in 1988 and "The Mask" in 1994, this installment delivers all the goods that a fanboy and fangirl can enjoy. The film co-stars Laurence Fishburne and John Saxton with appearances by Dick Cavett and Zsa Zsa Gabor, this horror fantasy thriller has good scares and some gory violence abound. The special effects even for it's day are just incredible like the Freddy Snake critter and the acting is superb, this movie made Freddy more popular thanks to witty one-liners and a dark sense of humor. Greg Cannom and Kevin Yagher did a nice job on the make-up and gore effects for this production, the film also gives us a nice look into the mythology of "Nightmare on Elm Street" with some nice twists and turns even by the ending.

This is one sequel that still holds up and rocks! i highly recommend it.

P.S.: The "Dream Warriors" rock song by Dokken rules!
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Favorite Sequel
claudio_carvalho30 March 2009
When the teenager Kristen Parker (Patricia Arquette) has nightmares with Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund), he cuts her wrist and her mother Elaine Parker (Brooke Bundy) believes her daughter wants to commit suicide. Elaine interns Kristen in an institution for therapy with teenagers with dream disorder, where she meets other youngsters having trouble with Freddy Krueger under the treatment of Dr. Elizabeth Simms (Priscilla Pointer) and Dr. Neil Gordon (Craig Wasson). When the intern of dream therapy Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) arrives in the hospital, she discovers that Kristen has the ability to draw other people to her dreams, and she convinces Dr. Gordon that Freddy Kruger does exist and needs to be destroyed. Nancy uses Kristen and the other teenagers together in a group session to join forces against and destroy Freddy Krueger in their common nightmare. Meanwhile Dr. Gordon meets Sister Mary Helena (Nan Martin) that tells him who is Freddy Krueger and how to destroy the evil character forever.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" is my favorite sequel of Freddy Krueger's franchise. Written by Wes Craven and with the return of Nancy Thompson, the story explains how the evil Freddy Krueger was generated. This movie is also the debut of the gorgeous Patricia Arquette and Jennifer Rubin. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "A Hora do Pesadelo 3: Os Guerreiros dos Sonhos" ("The Hour of the Nightmare 3: The Warriors of the Dreams")
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent third entry in the franchise and a lot better than Freddy's Revenge
Wow. Just... wow. I can't believe that I became blown away by this sequel. I mean, it's as solid as the first Nightmare and it's an improvement over the second entry. It may feel a little dated to others, but fans would want to watch this over and over again. It is that good.

The story is great and doesn't destroy the continuity of the original film with a solid idea about a girl bringing people to their dreams. The direction from Chuck Russell is great; the writing is great and the comedy is well-done. The music score is superb and the theme song "Dream Warriors" from Dokken is great to listen to, but the best part is the cast with their excellent performances and the make-up of Freddy is great.

Overall, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors ranks with the first as the best of the series. Go watch it! It's that good!
My favorite Freddy film!
Horror_Metal4 October 2013
Kristen Parker (Patricia Arquette) is a troubled teen whose dreams are haunted by the evil Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund), the ghost of a serial killer who was burned to death by the angry parents of his young victims. If Freddy kills someone in their dreams, they die in real life. After several of these horrific nightmares, Kristen is taken to a local mental hospital where she meets other teens who are tormented by Freddy at night when they go to sleep. Among these troubled young men and women are Kincaid (Ken Sagoes), Joey (Rodney Eastman), Taryn (Jennifer Rubin), Will (Ira Heiden), and a few others. The teens are visited by Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp), the main character from the first film, who is now a psychiatrist who specializes in dream therapy. Nancy is the only one who believes the poor kids as she went through the exact same thing three years ago when Freddy killed all her friends. She discovers that Kristen has the power to pull other people into her dreams, a gift she decides they all must use to their advantage. Nancy, with the help of Dr. Neil Gordon (Craig Wasson), then guides the teens and trains them to use their special dream powers against Freddy. These "dream warriors" may actually have what it takes to defeat the wicked nightmare demon for good and send him to hell where he belongs.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time! I know I'll get lots of crap for this, but I actually like it better than the first movie! Don't get me wrong, the original is far scarier, darker, and more sophisticated but I'm afraid I would have to pick this sequel over it by a hair. There were things in the first film that never got explained and made no sense at all not to mention the ridiculously stupid ending. This movie is just way more entertaining and enjoyable to watch, with some great characters. It's great to see Heather Langenkamp return as Nancy and Robert Englund gives what is without a doubt his best performance as Freddy. This is the first movie in which Mr. Krueger is no longer dark and scary but hasn't exactly become a completely goofy comedian yet, like in later films. I love how his voice changes from quiet and sinister to deep and demonic throughout the movie. My favorite part of this film has to be when Freddy takes possession of his own charred skeleton in the real world and then buries someone alive. That scene had some great special effects! What else can I say about this movie? Well just watch it and find out why it's a magnificent entry to the Nightmare on Elm Street series!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 1st Best Sequel Of The Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
devoredonna17 August 2013
After the disappointment of the previous sequel A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 Freddy's Revenge. I didn't think they were gonna make another sequel that connected with the first film. Boy was i wrong this sequel ended up being the first sequel of the Nightmare series i actually enjoyed and still till this day is one of my favorite Nightmare films. Not only did Robert Englund return as Freddy Krueger but also Heather Langenkamp returned as Nancy Thompson from the first film. As well as John Saxon returned as Nancy's father Donald Thompson from the first film too. This happens to be actress Patricia Arquette sister of David Arquette of the Scream films first movie. And again like the first film this sequel had great acting and great cast. Featuring a young Laurence Fishburne who would later star as the abusive husband Ike Turner in What's Love Got To Do With It? I really enjoyed this third installment. I can watch this film over and over again and never get tired of it. I recommend that this sequel is a definitely must own like the first film for horror fans.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the best sequel of the franchise
MitchellCombden31 August 2016
a nightmare on elm street 3 is a film that manages to solidify its villain as a memorable anti hero/icon. the original nightmare on elm street was an excellent film in terms of scaring the living hell out of audiences with a truly demonic villain. this film on the other hand takes its source material and stays true to it while at the same time opening up a new direction for the character. the comedic one liners add a really nice touch to a series that could have easily grown tiresome after a few sequels. the comedy isn't exactly straight comedy but is black comedy which works very well for the character of Freddy. his character still remains scary in terms of how devilish and evil he truly is and the creative ways in which he chooses to kill the teens of the film. mostly using their fears, past experiences and lifestyles against them. very creative and entertaining to watch. this is an important aspect to keep in mind when trying to understand what makes this film as well as the original work so well.

the acting is by no means great but the cast does do a solid job. I don't really have very many complaints in the acting department, john saxton returns and gives us a good performance. heather langdenkamp (I believe that's how you spell it) returns as well and gives a decent performance. here and there some of her dialogue seems a little forced and unnatural but I think she did a good job in the grand scheme of things. the rest of the cast all do well in their roles, they are after all just teenagers and aren't meant to be the most complex characters in the first place. and last but not least Robert England of course does an amazing and captivating job as Freddy.

the script is honestly great! the concept of the characters all having a dream power to fight back against Freddy is interesting. it did feel slightly rushed but I don't think it really affects the film. what we get is good and I can't complain about that. we also get a bit of backstory on Freddy and his birth which is welcome, it adds to the mythos of the character and I think it makes him that much more of a dark character.

chuck Russell does an excellent job directing. his way of bringing the dream sequences to the screen is great and I found myself and still find myself thoroughly entertained. it isn't world class direction like say the likes of fincher or Hitchcock but it does the script justice and is not in any way bad directing.

the gore and special effects all look so good, you can tell the effects team put a lot of heart and effort in, it definitely showed. I am to this day still wowed by the effects and wish more horror films from the modern age would use practical and organic effects like the ones used in this film.

all in all the film is truly great, not only is it a good slasher film, and a good sequel but it really is a great film in general. I would recommend it to anybody who likes a good time or horror films.

9.5/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The bastard son of a 100 maniacs.
hitchcockthelegend5 September 2009
Nancy Thompson, survivor of the Elm Street murders is a psychiatrist brought in to help troubled kids at Westin Hills Psychiatric Hospital. All of these teens have one thing in common, their dreams are being invaded by someone Nancy knows only too well, Freddy Krueger.

After the abomination bore that was A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge, New Line Cinema set about making a better and more truer sequel to 1984's excellent A Nightmare on Elm Street. Recalling series creator Wes Craven, who had bailed after the first film claiming he didn't want a franchise born, and installing the first film's scream queen Heather Langenkamp in a more mature role, New Line meant business. With more budget to hand and Craven aided in the writing by Frank Darabont, Chuck Russell and Bruce Wagner, the end result is arguably the best sequel of what was to become a money spinning franchise.

With a sharp elaborate story focusing on troubled kids, and dealing in themes such as teen suicide, heroin addiction and dream suppressant drugs, all that was needed was authentic location work and the skill to formulate horror sequences worthy of the name. Thankfuly we get both. Some of the disturbing and gruesome methods used by Freddy as he cruelly goes about offing the last of the Elm Street children, are some of the series best. Puppetry, TV and needle point rushes are just a few on offer, while a skeleton sequence harks to the work of one Ray Harryhausen. There's even a nice plot thread involving a nun that puts a bit more meat on Freddie's troubling back story.

But some problems do harm the film. Heather Langenkamp, bless her, was suitably cast in the first film, here she is not. Badly out of sorts trying to convince everyone she's a mature psychiatrist, she's even out acted by the almost worse Craig Wasson as Neil Gordon. One glance at the subsequent post Elm Street 3 career of Langenkamp sadly speaks volumes. She isn't helped tho by the exuberance of the young and upcoming cast around her, led by pivotal Patricia Arquette as Kristen Parker and boasting cool in the form of Bradley Gregg's sleep walker, Phillip. It's with the youngsters that Elm Street 3 is ultimately remembered for, well that and the ingenious ways Krueger tries to off them of course. Laurence Fishburne is also in it but is underused as Max, a hospital orderly with a heart.

This was the last time that an Elm Street movie had some nous about it. Before Krueger became a caricature of a caricature, where a quip became more important than an effective, and intelligently constructed kill. Craven wanted out, but after making a $40 million domestic profit on part 3, it opened up scope for further ventures. Ventures that sadly took the franchise, and its main character down hill fast. 7/10
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better ones in the series
Quinoa198412 July 2000
This film in the series isn't as great as part 1, but it is a hell of a lot better than part 2, 4 and 5 (am I still with everyone here). In this film, Craven returns as co-writer and so do stars Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon (they wouldn't return again until part 7). But it isn't just that, it is also the breakthrough performances by Patricia Arquette and Laurence Fishburne. They bring the plot about a group of kids in a mental home, who have sleep deprivation thanks to the Fred man (Robert Englund). But luckily, Langenkamp comes to the rescue by adding her old expertise in the problems. Very smart, and very cool (definatelty the best horror film of 1987), just not as good as some of the other parts. Still very watchable.
23 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A quote from Poe?
x-stierna3 August 2006
Very stylish and very eighties and all, and one thing that people usually remember is the famous quote about the little slices of death in the beginning. But guess what? It is most likely NOT from Edgar Allan Poe.

If you don't believe me, check this out: http://www.bartleby.com/66/90/46190.html

And check this out: http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808

And this: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=273825

Interesting, isn't it? However, this is one of my favorites from this era and anyone who wants to pick up the style and pace of this decade and be entertained at the same time, this is your choice.

And don't forget the first one.

Sweet dreams, everyone....
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.