Innerspace (1987) Poster

(1987)

Simply very good entertainment.
Boba_Fett11385 February 2005
This movie offers perfect entertainment.

The main characters and the performances by the actors are very good and comical. The movie is filled with some crazy 'not-so-everyday' characters and the villains are deliciously stereotyped and highly entertaining and there are some simply hilarious moments throughout the movie.

The movie can be described as an adventure science-fiction comedy. Surely the movie will not be remembered as one of the best of all time but I will always remember this movie as a very entertaining one and of which I have some very fond childhood memories.

The nice 'unknown' musical score by Jerry Goldsmith is very good, I actually watched this movie in honor of his death the day he had died, on 21 July 2004.

As long as you don't expect a masterpiece and merely want to be entertained, this movie is perfectly recommendable. Also very watchable for the entire family.

26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good way to get on someone's nerves--literally!
AllisonLVenezio18 April 2001
I just saw this movie today, and I must say, it was rather interesting. The scenery looked like something out of a Walt Disney World attraction, and the special effects were good, making this a very fascinating movie.

"Innerspace" is about a pilot, Tuck (Dennis Quaid) who is accidentally injected in grocery store assistant manager Jack (Martin Short) when the needle was originally intended for a rabbit. Jack had only 1 day to get Tuck out before his air supply ran out, making for an interesting plot.

Martin Short was hysterical in this strange comedy that kind of looks like "All of Me." He physically thrashes around, and the comedy suits him perfectly. Dennis Quaid is good in the role of Tuck, who is arrogant, and begins to appreciate things after this little "incident."

Of course, no movie would be complete without key scenes that add to the movie. And of course, no movie review would be complete without mention of these favorite scenes. The scene where Tuck and Jack get drunk off of Southern Comfort together was a riot, because I was wondering how much JAck actually drank. I like how he hiccupped and stumbled around, while Tuck asked, "Jack, are you drunk?" My other favorite scene was when Jack first hears voices and yells "I"M POSSESSED!" The fact that the first scene that introduces him in the doctor's office sets the stage, so we know he's a hypocondriac.

This movie was very funny and very cute at the end (won't give it away). Although it plays like a Disney attraction,it probably would be cool. I highly recommend this movie to Martin Short, Dennis Quaid, or Meg Ryan fans. Watch out for the vaccinations, and definitely don't ignore that little voice inside you, it could be a space pod. Enjoy!
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Joe Dante Classic
michaelkendall210 July 2005
This 1987 film is a wonderful combination of sci-fi, comedy, romance and thriller elements. It is briskly paced despite being almost two hours in length, and features superb performances from the leads; Dennis Quaid is excellent as usual, as is Meg Ryan in her best role. Yet the plaudits must go to Martin Short in a truly great performance he has never matched. He just needs the right role. The supporting cast are great as well; the delightful villainy of Vernon Wells who is unrecognisable as usual! Also Robert Picardo camping it up superbly as The Cowboy, one of his most memorable creations, plus the great pairing of Fiona Lewis and Kevin McCarthy, who memorably says to his dog before feeding it: 'Never beg, never beg!' The cinematography and special effects/makeup are all great as well, and Jerry Goldsmith's score is brilliant, perfectly complementing the tone of the film, alternately exciting/sprightly/romantic. Joe Dante binds it all together with magnificent verve, plus Dick Miller makes his trademark appearance! A great, timeless classic. Highly recommended.
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny Sci/Fi Adventure
mjw230514 January 2007
Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid) is a hotshot Navy pilot on an unusual and top secret mission; he is to be shrunk down and injected into the body of a rabbit, but when things go wrong he ends up inside Jack Putter (Martin Short) instead. Jack must now work with Tuck in order to stay alive; and it's a great ride.

All the cast are good in this film, but Martin Short is brilliant; it's wall to wall action, adventure and laughs, and with a little romance thrown in, it's a winner. The special effects are outstanding for the time and Joe Dante's direction is excellent.

Innerspace is fun for the whole family 7/10
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a nice little comedy
MichaelM2411 March 2002
Why INNERSPACE was not the hit it should have been will remain a mystery for years to come. And old concept (FANTASTIC VOYAGE) is given an update with spectacular (for the time, but still good) special effects and an excellent cast. Martin Short is a real delight as a neurotic supermarket clerk who at first thinks he's possessed, only to discover that the only thing in his body is a miniaturized Navy test pilot, Dennis Quaid, who was accidently injected into him instead of a lab rabbit. Meg Ryan is cute as ever, and Robert Picardo co-stars in one of his best roles, The Cowboy. The late screenwriter Jeffrey Boam keeps the story simple but allows for some good suspense and laughs, and director Joe Dante keeps the pacing just right. The battle between Quaid and an enemy inside Short's stomach is the highlight of the film. I remember how much I wanted to be Quaid's Tuck Pendleton (and have his little pod) when I first saw the movie. The ending seems obvious for a sequel, but due to the film's surprising box office failure, it was not to be. Still, this is a really fun movie for the whole family, and I hope a Special Edition DVD is not far away.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very funny and exciting adventure!
dalben1 January 1999
What a funny thrill ride this movie is! A man (Dennis Quaid) volunteers to be shrunk down to the size of a cell and injected into a rabbit. But terrorists are after this scientific breakthrough and by various hijinks he winds up being injected into the butt of a nervous grocery clerk, played by Martin Short. And that's just the beginning.

Innerspace shows Dennis Quaid at his most winning, and Short at his funniest. And of course, there's a very young Meg Ryan as their love interest. The jokes resonate with both kids and adults, and unlike most action-adventure films, the plot here is never short of ideas. And the effects are pretty neat too: as we see Quaid's character wander within the human body, we feel as much amazement and wonder as he does. LOTS of movies attempt to put you in outer space and worlds far away, but I can't think of one that has made the creative attempt of exploring our inner space.

I first saw "Innerspace" when I was 11. I didn't know who any of the lead actors were. I'd never seen Saturday Night Live. And I thought it was a great movie. Twelve years and hundreds of movies later, I still think it's wonderful.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic Voyage Too
george.schmidt10 April 2003
INNERSPACE (1987) *** Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, Meg Ryan, Kevin McCarthy. Fast-paced and frenzily funny action/comedy/sci-fi film with Quaid as a washed up military pilot who volunteers to be miniaturized in a scientific experiment a la "Fantastic Voyage" inside a bunny but is mistakenly injected into hyper hypochondriacal Short (in arguably his finest comic role) who provides the physical comedy with Ryan as Quaid's long-suffering journalist girlfriend. Nice performances and some truly eye-popping Oscar-winning visuals. Directed by Joe Dante
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't shrink this movie's prominence.
Lee Eisenberg18 October 2005
Joe Dante may be the zaniest director out there, along with Tim Burton. "Matinee" is my favorite of his movies, but "Innerspace" is certainly also up there. For the for couple of minutes, I couldn't figure out what was going on, but suddenly, the plot became clear. Lt. Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid) is shrunk down to the size of a dust speck to be injected into an animal - a la "Fantastic Voyage". But then, a terrorist group seizes the lab and one of the scientists carries the hypodermic out. With his last bit of strength, he injects Tuck into local dweeb Jack Putter (Martin Short) - without informing Jack of this. From there, some very embarrassing predicaments arise for the two men, not the least of which is how to explain the situation to explain to Tuck's hubby Lydia Maxwell (Meg Ryan).

Throughout, "Innerspace" has Dante's quirky mark all over it. Dante of course gives a role to Dick Miller: in this case, Miller plays a cab driver. Dante regulars Kevin McCarthy and Robert Picardo also star, the former as villain Victor Scrimshaw, the latter as Scrimshaw's associate Cowboy. With some crazy lines, this movie is pure fun for everyone.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly, But Not A Kids' Film
ccthemovieman-19 October 2006
This is an updated "Fantastic Voyage" and interestingly done, I thought. Joe Dante directed a number of fun movies to watch.

It's not the innocent Steven Spielberg "E.T."-like movie I expected because of the language and several sex jokes. In other words, this is not a kids' movie.

Dennis Quaid stars and plays his usual cocky self. (He's mellowed in recent years.) Meg Ryan is her usual cute-but-of-little-substance self and Martin Short is just plain funny - the best guy in the movie.

The film offers a good combination of humor and science-fiction suspense. It's a fun movie I would rate higher if it weren't so silly in spots.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Joe Dante's best.
DAVID SIM20 February 2004
When Joe Dante wanted to do a remake of Fantastic Voyage, I liked the way he decided to make his version into a comedy. I was surprised to discover that this film wasn't too successful, because I believe Innerspace is good solid entertainment, albeit daft.

The story begins when Lt Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid), an excellent pilot but an irresponsible hard drinker volunteers for a highly unusual experiment. He will be placed inside a submersible pod, and with the use of two microchips, be miniaturised and injected into a laboratory rabbit (called Bugs, what is it about Joe Dante and Looney Tunes characters anyway?).

But just after Tuck has been shrunk, a group of Silicon Valley industrial spies break into the lab, and steal one of the microchips necessary to reverse the miniaturisation process. In desperation, one of the scientists (Ozzie) runs with the syringe Tuck is in, and injects him into the body of Jack Putter (Martin Short).

Jack is a stressed out hypochondriac who is terrified of life, and learning that a shrunken human being is inside his body doesn't make him any less neurotic. With Tuck and Jack now having to depend on each other for survival, they team up with Tuck's ex girlfriend Lydia Maxwell (Meg Ryan) to recover the stolen chip before Tuck's air supply runs out.

I must confess to being a sucker for these loser comes out on top stories, and this film is no exception. Jack is a man who has nothing going for him in life, but with Tuck urging him on, Jack manages to find inner confidence he never knew he had and takes control of his life.

Both Tuck and Jack's characters go through changes in this film. Seeing the world through Jack's eyes, Tuck begins to reflect upon the mistakes he has made in his life. His irresponsible behaviour and heavy drinking was responsible for Lydia breaking up with him, and he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now if he hadn't recklessly gone through with this hare brained experiment.

Dennis Quaid makes a likable character as Tuck, because although he is a wise guy, his pep talks to Jack are quite inspiring and how you can learn to take control of your own destiny.

Martin Short is also a likable hero as Jack, although he does have a tendency to go over the top. Although he is supposed to be neurotic, his antics can grate on you a little on occasion. Some of his antics can be funny too, such as the crazy dance he does in Tuck's apartment, and yelling "I'm possessed" when he first hears Tuck's voice inside his head.

The different scrapes they get into are quite exciting, such as Jack's hanging on for dear life at the back of a refrigerated truck (although it is a little overlong). Tuck's battle with one of the spies inside Jack's body is very well done, and the method of killing him is quite innovative too.

One of the funniest scenes is when Tuck alters Jack's face to look like The Cowboy (Robert Picardo), someone who has come to buy the microchip off Scrimshaw (Kevin McCarthy), the man responsible for stealing the chip in the first place. The special FX for these scenes are pretty amazing, and the look on everyone's faces during these transformations are priceless.

The FX used for inside Jack's body are incredible, and are totally realistic. One of the best scenes is when Tuck is nearly pulled into Jack's heart, and is very nail biting. Another good scene is when Tuck ends up in Lydia's body through a kiss with Jack, and sees his unborn child in her womb. That is a very awe inspiring scene, and is worthy of the same fascination that made Fantastic Voyage great.

I believe this is a criminally underrated film. Admittedly, its a hard film to swallow, with things like altering Jack's face to look like someone else. How exactly could you do that? But this is a Joe Dante film, so you have to suspend disbelief a little. Meg Ryan isn't given enough to do, and its a pity her character couldn't have been given enough development.

There are also a lot of things happening in this film, and not everything is tied up like it should have been. The way Innerspace ends, there could have been a sequel, but so far it hasn't been followed up. With Dennis Quaid's and Meg Ryan's divorce that doesn't seem very likely now.

Still, Quaid has got a brilliant rapport with Short, and some (if not all) of the important matters are resolved. Its an entertaining film, and you find yourself being pulled along for the ride whether you like it or not. After Gremlins, Innerspace is my favourite Joe Dante film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Energetic, imaginative fantasy/comedy
Jeff Wilson4 November 2014
This was a fun movie, kept a good balance between sci-fi, action, fantasy and comedy. It had a lot of imagination. It was a little more lightweight than most of the movies I like, I could tell that's the way they wanted it in a scene where the bad guys take over a lab by spraying the doctors with tranquilizer gas instead of shooting them. That may be the reason it didn't do good at the box office, it was PG around the time the PG-13 rating was becoming more lucrative. The only thing I didn't like was the scientists being shrunk at the end, it seemed a little silly. The ending kind of leaves you hanging, the producers were probably hoping the film would do well enough for a sequel. Overall, not great but good if you're looking for interesting 80's film artifacts.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Adventure of Incredible Proportions
Jessica Carvalho20 September 2006
'Innerspace ''is a science fiction movie from the 80's, full of comedy and full of stars, like Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan (this one very young and very thin in her 20's), Martin Short, and Kevin McCarthy. I personally find this movie adorable, since the scenes showing Tuck Pendleton inside of the human body, amazes me until today, seeing all those organs, embryo and even the cells in the veins.

I am not surprised to see that this movie is produced by Steven Spielberg, since the guy has a natural talent to make most of the movies a great success, with incredible stories.

The plot: Pilot Lt. Tuck Pendleton is a member of a top-secret miniaturization experiment, that sadly goes wrong when a rival team of scientists, try to stole their plans and ideas to make miniaturization a success for them. Instead of being inside of a rabbit, Tuck ends in the body of Jack Putter, a hypochondriac who thinks that now is listening to strange voices inside his head. When Jack discovers about Tuck, an awesome adventure begins, with Jack, Tuck and even Tuck's girlfriend, trying to help Tuck to be back in his natural size.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent rowdy sci fi with wicked special effects
NateWatchesCoolMovies25 February 2016
Joe Dante's InnerSpace is pure gold for sci fi geeks and adventure lovers everywhere, a breezy, clever little flick with shades of everything from The Incredible Shrinking Man to Buck Rogers. It won an Oscar for visual effects, and when you see them (I picked up the Blu Ray, he'll of a good buy) you'll know why. It concerns hotshot pilot Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid) a brash dude who is taking part in a miniaturization experiment conducted in secret. When criminals bent on stealing the technology interrupt the process midway, the head doctor panics and flees, injecting now microscopic Tuck and his craft into the first person he stumbles, twitchy hypochondriac Jack (a manic, slightly irritating Martin Short). Tuck is forced to assist Jack and reign him in long enough to avoid the bad guys, find his sexy ex girlfriend Lydia (Meg Ryan, who met Quaid on this set and later married him). All the while he's stuck in Jack's body in minute form, dodging blood cells, stomach acid and more in some truly magnificent special effects. The baddies are very comical, yet mean just enough business to do their job of being threatening, played by Kevin McCarthy, Robert Picardo (okay, he's purely comical, with no hint of threat), Fiona Lewis and a terrific Vernon Wells as a terminator inspired spook. Quaid's trademark sense of fun and winning charm go hand in hand with the breezy yet high concept tone, for a movie that's pure Dante, pure inspiration and pure fun.
What's not to like?
Mr-Fusion16 August 2015
The idea for "InnerSpace" is a novel one for a movie, and I can't shake the feeling that this is the kind of movie that could only have been pulled off in the '80s. Can you imagine how bland a remake today would be? Anyhoo, the whole package is a good bit of fun.

It's stuffed with both plot and memorable characters (the gunhand robot guy, the cowboy, the charming Meg Ryan, and Martin Short, who shoulders the story's wacky physical comedy like a pro).

This is a movie that you just sort of get lost in, and really feels like a big Hollywood riff on Disney rides. Which could be its own genre, at this point.

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still an impressive feat of special effects 25 years later.
BlackJack_B31 July 2012
From Executive Producer Steven Spielberg and director Joe Dante of Gremlins fame, Innerspace remains an entertaining, though a little bit overlong, sci-fi comedy.

Lt. Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid), fresh off a quarrel with his girlfriend Lydia (Meg Ryan), agrees to be the guinea pig in an experiment where he will be placed inside a ship, shrunk down to nothing and injected into a rabbit for research. However, a rival gang of scientists led by Dr. Victor Scrimshaw (Kevin McCarthy) and Dr. Margaret Canker (Fiona Lewis) want to steal Tuck for themselves. One scientist is able to escape with the syringe containing Tuck. When he is close to being caught, he injects Tuck into Jack Putter (Martin Short), a neurotic, unhappy grocery store employee.

Putter is able to hear Tuck and together, they work towards getting Tuck back to his normal self and foiling Dr. Scrimshaw and his lackeys. Tuck also tries to help repair Putter's mental state, instilling some confidence from the inside.

The star of the film are the tremendous Oscar-winning Special Effects, which pack a punch even today. My favorite is how Tuck changes Putter's face so he resembles The Cowboy (Robert Picardo), an ally of Scrimshaw's. It's very funny to watch.

The acting is also excellent. Quaid shows the charisma and cockiness that made him a box-office star from 1987-1994 and while he plays an irresponsible lout, you can't help but like him. Future wife Ryan sparkles with her bright and cherry screen presence and Short, the gifted physical comedian, offers surprising chemistry with both actors. A great supporting cast and lots of cameos abound as well.

25 years later, the film is still an impressive piece of work. Certainly worth a viewing today.
Entertaining
AKS-61 June 2001
Innerspace is an entertaining sci-fi comedy with good performances from Martin Short, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan. Also, the special effects are great. That is, if you think about the fact that the film was made in 1987. Naturally, the effects would be much better if the film was made today.

There are also many laugh-out-loud scenes in the film, but as all comedies Innerspace goes on for too long and in the end I just wanted the film to be over. Overall though, it's an entertaining movie that would have benefited from being about 15 minutes shorter than it is. (6/10)
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you can tolerate Dennis Quaid's faults you will enjoy this one
utgard1429 January 2014
Joe Dante reworks Fantastic Voyage into a buddy comedy for Dennis Quaid and Martin Short. Quaid plays a cocky fighter pilot who is chosen to take part in an experiment where he will have to test a miniaturized craft. While inside the machine Quaid is shrunk down to microscopic size. But some bad guys try to hijack the experiment and Quaid winds up injected into the body of a hypochondriac grocery store clerk played by Martin Short. From there, hijinks ensue.

Quaid is annoying, as he almost always was and is. His Joker smile and constant mugging grates on the nerves in the early scenes. He's better when things settle down some. Martin Short is the best part of the cast. Very funny and likable. Always love seeing a pretty young Meg Ryan. Although it reminds me of what she's done to herself since, which is tragic. Kind of the same feeling I get when watching young Melanie Griffith. This is a fun movie. Joe Dante gets to play with special effects and comedy, which is right in his wheelhouse. It's not as interesting or innovative as Fantastic Voyage but it's a very enjoyable movie in its own right.
Mission Infeasible.
Robert J. Maxwell29 January 2012
Concept has plenty of potential. Cocky young Navy lieutenant Dennis Quaid is to be miniaturized in a kind of innerspace pod and injected into a laboratory rabbit named Bug where, in visual and audio contact with the lab personnel in Silicon Valley, he will explore the leporine internal milieu.

The two tiny computer chips that make miniaturization and later restoration possible are extremely valuable, so bad guys stage a raid on the lab. The hypodermic syringe with the miniature pod is rushed out of the lab and injected by accident into the Assistant Manager of a local Safeway, Martin Short, who is a hypochondriac and a coward. The bad guys quickly identify Short and are in pursuit of him and the puzzled Quaid.

Quaid is right for the part, and so is Martin Short whose features are goofy but not unpleasant. Quaid establishes contact with the terrified short and together they sweep up Quaid's girl friend, Meg Ryan, into the chase, which constitutes the entirety of the plot. Boy, she's cute. Two of Short's colleagues from SCTV show up -- Joe Flaherty and Andrea Martin. The bad guy is Kevin McCarthy, star of the science-fiction classic "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," and a bit part in a men's room is given to Kenneth Toby, the Air Force Captain from "The Thing From Another World."

Alas, the movie, having established the tenets of the comic adventure, runs out of steam almost at once and becomes a frenzied succession of shouts, gun shots, car chases, delirious antics, and ridiculous fights. At least it can be said that it spare us much sentiment. I only winced once, when Quaid accidentally is transferred to the inside of his girl friend and discovers she's pregnant, and there is romantic music as Quaid's eyes light up and he mutters to himself, "I'm a Dad," and the viewer pendiculates.

There are some fine comedies that came out around the same time -- "The Witches of Eastwick," "The Freshman," "Analyze This" -- but this doesn't belong in the same category. This one substitutes speed for wit. All the attention seems to have been lavished on special effects and action, while the dialog and any humor associated with character has been ignored.

The kids might enjoy it more than the adults.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Criminally under-rated 80's flick. Deserves to be held in the same esteem as "Back to the Future" and the like.
Howlin Wolf29 March 2001
Can anybody tell me why almost everybody loves "Back to the Future" yet nobody ever deigns to mention this little beauty in the same breath? It more than deserves it.

Quaid is excellent as the cocky yet likeable "Tuck Pendleton". Here is a character who has personality to spare and a nice line in putdowns. You get the sense that he gets as exasperated with Jack as we the audience do. Quaid can really deliver when given the right material, something that Hollywood provides all too scarcely.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS HEREON)

Short overacts but is still pretty funny, and anyway, I suppose exaggeration is forgivable given that he's playing a neurotic. Ryan is cute but in all honesty is not given that much to work with. It's credit to her talent that she manages to stand out at all.

Mr Igo is a cool villain, but one of many elements in the plot that aren't exploited to their full potential. The film is so bursting with invention that often things are touched upon and then dropped before they've really been explored. This all goes to show, however, that the film doesn't stand still for a minute, which can only be a good thing, especially when you have Quaid firing off the wisecracks.

It's fair to say that amidst all the general good fun the special effects aren't always something you notice, but they are superb, especially for '87. Never once do they undermine the story.

It really is Quaid's film though, personal favourite lines including "Dip, Dip, Dip all you like. Nothin's gonna fit ya" and "You better, you two-faced sonofab**ch"

An absolute blast from start to finish; this really is unfairly overlooked as being 'just another remake of 'Fantastic Voyage'", when in reality it compares well with acknowledged classics of the comedy adventure genre such as "Back to the Future".
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uneven comedy/science fiction story...
dwpollar18 May 2011
1st watched 5/16/2011 -- 4 out of 10(Dir-Joe Dante): Uneven comedy/science fiction story about a wayward pilot, played by Dennis Quaid, who takes on a job of piloting a vehicle that is experimentally miniaturized for the purpose of being injected into living things with the idea of learning things from the inside-out, I guess. This miniaturization device is highly sought after by other evil forces and during an attempt at stealing the device, Quaid's character is injected into a troubled man, played by Martin Short. There are definitely some funny bits involved with the Quaid's character trying to communicate with his new host and Martin Short is perfect for the style of humor that they deploy in this scenario. At this point in the movie, I felt promise for it, but about halfway through the plot becomes rather convoluted after some other characters are introduced that are trying to gain access to this sought-after device. One character named "Cowboy" is not funny at all, and his influence on the movie literally tears it apart to the point where the viewer stops caring and the movie becomes a typical chase-scene filled mess. The initial humor, which should have been built upon, is totally flushed out of the movie and it never returns from this point. What could have been a funny movie because of the talent of the actors instead becomes a pretty un-necessary waste of about 1 hour and a half. So, watch the first half hour then turn it off because the rest if not worth your time.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still One of the Most Entertaining Movie Today
I'd almost forgot I had this movie. I've watched it maybe 30 times or more. I still love every second of this movie. It's one of those Spielberg movies that you can't get out of your head. It just won't leave. This particular movie was hard to find, but I prevailed. The intense acting of Dennis Quaid, and Martin Short says it all. They keep you going with each quirk of energy they generate. Very well done movie. Some movies, you just go to sleep, but not this one. I guard my DVD like a hawk. I will treasure this movie just like I do my "Back To The Future Trilogy" collection. The same as, "Batteries Not Included", Inner Space is a Jewel of a movie that will never fizzle out with time. Time is on it's side. Meg Ryan just put the icing on the cake. Beauty, poise and great acting on her part. Meg put the right twist on the movie to give a tender, affectionate side. All the cast did a bang up job.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overlong & Too Silly.
AaronCapenBanner31 August 2013
Science Fiction comedy from director Joe Dante about an experimental craft accidentally injected into grocery clerk Martin Short, and the various government factions that desperately try to recover it, while the pilot(played by Dennis Quaid) tries to contact Short, and convince him that he isn't just hearing voices. Meg Ryan plays the girlfriend, who tries to help them both.

Some good model F/X and a fine cast cannot save this silly and contrived film that goes on far too long; being clearly inspired by "Fantastic Voyage", film has a great deal of action and imagination, but doesn't know when to quit.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An enjoyable sci-fi caper
Tweekums18 May 2017
Former US Navy pilot Lt. Tuck Pendleton is taking part in a ground breaking experiment. If all went according to plan he would get onto a pod that will be miniaturised to an almost microscopic size then injected into a rabbit… it does not go according to plan. A rival firm wants the technology and breaks into the lab just after the pod has been miniaturised and placed in a hypodermic syringe; they steal one of the chips required to return the pod to its correct size while a technician flees with the needle. He is chased down but before he is caught he injects it into hapless Jack Putter; a hypochondriac. Tuck pilots the pod through Jack and after connecting sensors to his optic nerve and ear can see what Jack sees and communicate with him. Once it becomes apparent to him what happened he must find a way to retrieve the chip before his air runs out. There is also the problem that the villains want to find him as the re-enlarging process needs the chip they stole and one in the pod; without this the technology would be of limited value.

This film provides a fun blend of science fiction, comedy and action. The concept is fairly silly but that doesn't matter because it never takes itself too seriously. There are plenty of laughs from start to finish, and a decent amount of family friendly action. Dennis Quaid does a fine job as Lt Pendleton even though he spends most of the time just sat in his pod talking to Jack. Martin Short is a lot of fun as Jack; a character that develops nicely through the film from a rather wimpy hypochondriac to a far more self-assured man. Meg Ryan is likable as Tuck's girlfriend, who gets drawn into the adventure; the rest of the cast are pretty good too. The special effects for Tuck's journey through Jack's body are impressive and there are also some good stunts. Overall I'd certainly recommend this to anybody wanting so good family friendly action; there are one or two mildly crude jokes but I suspect they would go over the heads of younger viewers.
Takes me back
richspenc20 March 2017
I like 80s movies like this that take me back to my youth growing up in the 80s.

Martin Short as the clumsy hypochondriac who sees his doctor in a nervous wreck and is told he has to learn to relax. His over the top nervousness reminded me of Mel Brook's 70s film "High anxiety" where Mel acts in a similar way, like someone who just had 10 caffeinated cans of soda. Short, after telling his doctor about a freaky dream of him helping an arragant woman customer at the grocery store he works at and him first, somehow ringing up extreme prices for her items (I like how she says "that's a little pricey for shampoo, don't ya think?), and then, the lady pulling a small gun on him, with him then waking up in a panic. Only a short time later, it happens for real at the store exactly like in his dream, and then the gun part, turns out to be a lighter. It doesn't matter; Short, who was already a jangled mess, completely snaps at the store in front of everyone.

At a lab nearby, scientists are setting up an experiment for Dennis Quaid to be miniaturized in a submarine and be injected into a rabbit. Quiad gets into a sub, the sub starts spinning incredibly fast, then shrinks to microscopic size, and then pushes off into a syringe. High tech criminals bust into the lab to try to take over, a scientist with the syringe with Quaid inside it flees to a mall, and accidentally injects the syringe with Quaid into Short, who was at the mall to book a relaxation vacation (sorry Short, change of plans). The scientist gets shot, with his last experience being a bunch of people in animal costumes standing over him, and funny animal noises forming into his last conscious few seconds while looking at the people in the animal costumes. That bizarre moment was something particularly of the 80s where other bizarre style 80s films like "Killer Klowns from outer space" provided similar moments. We then get our story of Quaid traveling through the inside of Short's body, with fairly convincing special effects, to hook gadgets from his craft up to the insides of his eyes and ears to be able to talk to short and to be able to see whatever Short sees. The next hour of the film revolves around Quaid's and Short's experience of the two of them talking to each other, Short meeting Quaids girlfriend Meg Ryan (she was so young and beautiful here)(Short to Meg: "Lydia, shut up and listen! " Quaid from inside : "wow, you said it good"), Short explaining to Quaid's lab partners what's happened (I like how Quaid on the inside says "you better help out you two faced sonofabitch!", and Short tells them "he says 'thank you'"), and then Quaid and Short going after the bad guys. I always liked the bad guy, who looks all serious and intimidating in his suit and shades, with the machanical hand who can shoot from his finger like a gun, totally freaking out a kid in the mall while doing it. I also like the scene where Short drinks some whiskey, Quaid catches it with a vile while sitting in Shorts throat and drinks some himself, and the two of them live it up for a few minutes dancing around intoxicated (Quaid: "let the good times roll"). I found quite funny the scene where Short turns on the TV and Quaid says "oh great, I'm inside a guy who likes game shows". And also funny when Shorts TV and the monitor inside Quads ship catches fire at the same time, and then hilarious the way Short jumps while holding the fire extinguisher when Quaid calls his name. I also liked the scene in the doctors waiting room with Quaid on the inside of Short talking to him and the other people in the waiting room thinking he's talking to them, one of them asking if he was all right and Short yelling "would I be in a doctors office if I was feeling all right!?" I also liked Short and Meg's kissing scene with Quaid temporarily transferring over to inside Meg's body and finding a certain surprise.

They could've done with out the unessessary add- on of the cowboy. It crossed the time limit of the movie over into slightly too long.
Solid 80s entertainment
Innerspace is a fast-paced 80s action-comedy directed by Joe Dante and produced by Steven Spielberg.

Dennis Quaid plays cocky fighter pilot Lt. Tuck Pendleton, scheduled to take part in a bizarre secret experiment, where his shuttle is to be shrunk into a few millimeters in size, and injected into the bloodstream of a rabbit. However, chaos follows and he finds himself accidentally injected into a human store clerk, who ends up being chased by the bad guys. The plot feels original though the movie contains lots of clichés and pretty much follows the usual genre rules.

A barely credible sequence of events follow when Pendleton manages to hook up with the store clerk's eyes and ears, and a lot of the comedy is based on the interplay between these two characters. This includes Pendleton's on/off relationship with journalist Lydia Maxwell, played by Meg Ryan in an early role.

Stupid as the premise may be, it offers a fresh perspective and some entertaining comedy, so if you're looking for 90 minutes of light-hearted 80s fun this movie is worth taking a look at.