Dragnet (1987) Poster

(1987)

Impressive, Bordering on Spectacular
deapod6 July 2001
I noticed that many of the comments on this film were negative. Those people need to loosen up and get "just the facts." Maybe I see more of the humor because I am a law enforcement officer, but this film is a scream. It takes everything that the original series did, and does it with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Dan Ackroyd's deadpan Jack Webb impersonation is a riot, as are the remarks he makes to Hanks' Pep Streebeck. A typical example would be after Joe ignores Sylvia Wiss' advances, and Pep calls him on it. Joe looks him dead in the eye and says, "Streebeck, there are two things that separate us from the animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we can control our sexual urges. I don't know about you, but don't drag ME into your private HELL!" That line is so Jack Webb-DRAGNET that I'm surprised it never showed up in the 1960's version. Like the Austin Powers films, DRAGNET spoofs a cultural icon in such a way as to evoke the original. Ignore the silly plot, and just enjoy the ride.**PS**I have actually used the line I quoted above in the line of duty!
61 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of My Guilty Pleasures
bkoganbing2 September 2007
Although Tom Hanks and Christopher Plummer and Dan Ackroyd have certainly done better work than Dragnet, I can't think of a movie where any of them would have had better fun making it. Dragnet is one of the guilty pleasures I have, a film that will never be rated as one of the greatest of all time, but a film that I split a gut laughing at even though I know all the jokes coming.

Dragnet is a satirical version of the famous documentary style police show from the Fifties and the later color version from the sixties. Dan Ackroyd's dead-on impersonation of the no-nonsense monotone Jack Webb that a generation of Americans grew up remembering is excellent. Like Webb he plays it completely straight or maybe I should say straight man.

Because he's got a new partner fresh from undercover narcotics in Tom Hanks. Ackroyd's not quite used to the girl chasing, motorcycle loving partner that he's been assigned to. He's been brought up in the strict traditions of his Uncle Joe and he has a photograph of Jack Webb on his desk. He's even got Harry Morgan as his captain and we well remember that Harry Morgan was Jack Webb's partner in the sixties version of Dragnet.

Anyway the two of them are assigned to investigate an assortment of crimes that a motorcycle gang called the PAGANS are responsible for. I can't explain any more because the plot gets positively surreal from here. All I can say is the laughs never stop.

Look for some good supporting performances in addition to those mentioned from Elizabeth Ashley as the new police commissioner, Alexandra Paul as 'the virgin Connie Swale', Jack O'Halloran as a Pagan member, Kathleen Freeman as a foulmouthed landlady, and Dabney Coleman as a Hugh Hefner type publisher.

But most of all this film belongs to Christopher Plummer in every scene he's in. He plays the whole thing with a twinkle in his eye when he's being the most sanctimonious as the Reverend Jonathan Whirley. I can't think of a film where Plummer is funnier in or one where it looks like he's having such a good time.

The good time is positively infectious. The most hidebound stuffed shirt will love this film as I did.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely hilarious!
HangEmHi29 June 1999
Tom Hanks reminds us of just how good a comic actor he is, and Dan Ackroyd just "becomes" his character! I found the movie to be part dead-on parody, part slapstick, part cop movie (with a twist). Christopher Plummer and Dabney Coleman have a ball with their supporting roles, and Alexandra Paul adds just a dash of sex appeal. I was smiling from start to finish, and could watch it over and over.
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's A Fun Bit Of Nostalgia For Those Who've Seen The Old TV Series
sddavis636 November 2010
It's Saturday, November 6. 9:21 a.m. I've just watched "Dragnet."

A lot of old television shows have been made into movies. Most of them, frankly, have been disappointments. I have to say that the movie version of "Dragnet" is one of the better ones. Based on the cast, it should be. I'm not sure you could do any better than casting Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks in the lead roles, respectively, of Sgt. Joe Friday (supposedly the great-nephew of the Joe Friday from the series) and Tom Hanks as his new partner Pep Streebek. Both played their roles perfectly. Aykroyd was a great satirical take on Jack Webb's character, and Hanks was the perfect balance. The supporting cast - with names like Christopher Plummer and Dabney Coleman and Harry Morgan (reprising his character of Gannon from a 1969 "Dragnet" movie, who's now the police captain) - also made this worth watching.

The story has Friday and Streebek investigating some type of pagan cult that's been causing havoc on the streets of the city. Their undercover encounter with the cult at one of its gatherings was hilarious. Overall, mind you, this isn't an outrageously funny movie. It's more humorous than anything, with appeal mostly to those who've seen the original series. If you've never seen the original series a lot of the subtle humour (which revolves around Aykroyd's parody of Webb's character) will be lost. However, for those who do know the original series, it's a fun nostalgia trip with a good cast.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not as negative
maverick-694 September 2000
dragnet is by no means a great film. but it is a funny, goofy light hearted film that both actors play well. i thought it was unusual to see christopher plummer in such a movie but he was good as the founder of "mama". this wont go down as the best film of either tom hanks or dan akroyd.dan has the jack webb impersonation down well though. it still is entertaining and if you want a decent laugh it's worth renting.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A comic gem!
tanzimhusain28 October 2007
I managed to catch Dragnet on one boring late night on HBO and how glad I am to have done that! Without going into the small details, this is a must see.

The chemistry between Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks is just awesome. Both Dan and Tom manages to play their respective characters with sheer conviction. The plot is simple and the dialog hilarious: just the sort you need for straight unadulterated fun.

Best of all, the move has some of the most brilliant comic moments from 1980's.

I'm not giving anything away, you'll need to watch to find out ;-)
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uneven and loaded with a sarcastic sense of humor.
mhasheider28 April 2003
Uneven and loaded with a sarcastic sense of humor yet this movie version of "Dragnet" may not top the classic t.v. series, however; it deserves a look sixteen years later.

Dan Aykroyd, well-cast as Joe Friday (and sounds like him) and his new parter Pep Streebeck (Tom Hanks) stumble around and verbally clash with each other while tie a crooked televangelist (Christopher Plummer)to a twisted cult.

"Dragnet" has its share of hilarious moments in the movie and the best one involves where a limo driver intentionally drives over Friday's feet. The expression on Aykroyd's face, well, speaks for itself.

Another note, one of the cast members from the tv series, Harry Morgan, reprises his role as Gannon, who is now the captain.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lame, Directionless Parody, Despite its Inspired Casting
drqshadow-reviews16 July 2014
A big budget effort to revive the long-dormant TV series with a snarkier, more wise-cracking slant. Dan Aykroyd is in his element as the super stiff, by-the-books Joe Friday (nephew of the original protagonist), while Tom Hanks often feels like he tries too hard as the detective's wacky, off-kilter new partner. The two play their roles well, but oddly don't have much of a rapport and feel like they're more wrapped up in the eccentricities of the characters than what's going on around them. I can't really blame them - the plot doesn't seem appropriate, or even all that interesting. Why stick to the guidelines of a basic detective story when you can dive into the overcomplicated saga of an evil pagan minister with deep political ties and a weakness for sacrificial virgins, I guess? It's a terrible match for the cast, who seem as puzzled by it as I was, and sets the film up for failure before it's even found its legs. Amusing at times, for the most part it's helplessly contradictory, clumsy and often downright grating.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful homage to a great old TV show
Fugitive9317 March 2001
Most people remember Dragnet with Jack Webb as the buttoned-up police sergeant Joe Friday. Dan Akyroyd plays the nephew of that character here. He is so much like Webb that he even appears to be channeling him spiritually. Tom Hanks has a great time with the new character of Pep Streebeck, the antithesis of Friday. The rest of the cast is fun, never quite taking the whole business seriously. Dabney Coleman, Christopher Plummer and even Harry Morgan reprising his Bill Gannon role (now the captain of detectives). The marginally fleshed out plot involves P.A.G.A.N.s attacking Coleman's smut magazines and advocating for "good sex and bad drugs" as the key to a great society.

The jokes in this movie fly fast and furious and are aimed at all kinds, not just the lowest common denominator. Lots of fun, randomness abounds. The best way to enjoy this movie is to relax and not take it too seriously, because it is half spoof-half cop action comedy. This is a fun ride. 9/10
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guilty of not being funny.
BA_Harrison10 February 2019
Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks play a pair of mismatched L.A. cops whose first case together involves a secret society, P.A.G.A.N., which has committed a series of crimes all over the city.

Dan Aykroyd, you are charged with a joyless and irritating central performance as by-the-books Los Angeles detective Joe Friday.

Tom Hanks, you are charged with the wilful participation in a crime against comedy, as Friday's mismatched partner, loose-cannon cop Pep.

Tom Mankiewicz, you are charged with the direction of a dismal parody that completely fails to deliver laughs.

When the comedy highlight of the film is our two heroes wearing furry goat leggings and doing a silly dance, I know I'm in for a rough ride.

2/10. An embarrassment for all concerned.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you are reading this. Then you know.
dissaid16 May 2019
This is a pretty damn funny movie. It's obviously silly but clever. Dan is perfect in his role. Hanks, is 80s Hanks before he went all method.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Thank God it's Friday!"
That Guy-215 April 1999
I first saw ths movie when I was about 8 and couldn't get enough of it..to the point my mom taped over it so I would stop. 8 years later, the movie is the same way. I could watch "Dragnet" over and over with glee. As Pep would say, "Thank God it's Friday!"
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goodness and Normalcy must die!
kinkyman-409638 December 2019
This is the greatest movie of all time! And all you "good" "normal" people who gave it low ratings should be fed to giant snakes! Yes, it is dripping with 80s cheese, with one cliche and one-liner after another, but the comedy is solid, the P.A.G.A.N ritual scene is too perfect, and the Dragnet rap at the end-- c'mon too perfect! The only downside of this movie is that goodness wins as usual. Boring!
classic 80s film - eminently quotable and hilarious
HelenMary21 July 2013
Dragnet is one of those films from the 80s that you just love. It's laugh out loud funny, and the jokes - mainly the deadpan stuff - never get old. So many of the lines are incredibly familiar, and like films like Top Gun, Princess Bride, Dirty Dancing many people can quote you large chunks of the script. Dan Aykroyd is brilliant as the policing by numbers monologue play by the books guy; similar role to his character in Gross Pointe Blank and there's a little of the Blues Brothers in there too. His comedic genius is playing everything so straight against Tom Hanks' enjoyable over the top, very physical slapstick sort of comedy. Together they are comedy genius both against the foil of Christopher Plummer playing a rather similar bad-guy-but-charming character to a lot of his films - Pink Panther (whichever one it was), Dreamscape etc. Some of the best lines come from Harry Morgan (famed for M*A*S*H) as their Captain.

Saddled together as an unlikely pair of partners in the Police Hanks and Aykroyd stumble upon a LA-wide conspiracy involving a prominent man of the church and the Police Commissioner and a group calling themselves PAGANs - people against goodness and normalcy - and there's Connie Swail (Alexandra Paul) the hapless virgin who will be sacrificed in on of the PAGAN's rituals... and Friday and Streebeck (Aykroyd and Hanks) have to get to the bottom of it. Hilarious police procedural, witty one liners, unforgettable scenes, great stunts and car chases and great performances make up this 80s remake and homage to the original 60s series. It's not aged that well and is a little clichéd in terms of 80s films but that is the charm. Love this film - it always really makes me smile.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sit back and enjoy the silliness!
portiau26 August 2006
If you're looking for something intellectual or challenging, turn over. However, if you want to watch Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks in a classic spoof police movie with some memorable scenes and a lot of laughs, this is your film. Check out the goat leggings, the "baitmates" and P.A.G.A.N. as a concept. The uptight Friday /liberal Streebeck combination of Ackroyd and Hanks is a great odd couple. The cast is fab - Christopher Plummer as the head of the Moral Advance Movement of America, Alexandra Paul as the virgin Connie Swale (yes, the virgin - some change to Baywatch) and the lovely Elizabeth Ashley as the police commissioner (great 80s authority female dressing) with Harry Morgan as the long suffering captain (see Lethal Weapon for reference point). Also you have to love Friday's maternal grandmother, Mrs Grace Monday... In the tradition of National Lampoon and Mel Brooks - you need to see it at least once.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passable spoof of a serious '50s police series.
barnabyrudge9 August 2005
Those who actually remember, or were fans of, the '50s cop show Dragnet might be a little alarmed to find that this 1987 homage is played predominantly for laughs. Those who do not know the original show, whether that be because they are too young or simply because they never watched it, might enjoy this version on its own merits. Dan Akroyd and Tom Hanks certainly strike an agreeable comic partnership, though the story is rather hackneyed even at spoof material level.

Sgt Joe Friday (nephew of the Jack Webb character from the original TV series, and played here as a by-the-book stickler by Dan Akroyd) is paired with a new partner, the loud and cocksure Pep Streebek (Tom Hanks). Together, they drive the streets of L.A in search of crime and criminals. The mismatched duo find themselves drawn into a case involving a sect of demented cultists who go by the acronym P.A.G.A.N (People Against Goodness And Normalcy!) The P.A.G.A.Ns are fronted by a powerful leader whose identity is kept from them as he wears a goat's head mask during cult gatherings and rituals. Friday and Streebek infiltrate one of the P.A.G.A.N ceremonies and rescue a virginal young beauty, Connie Swaile (Alexandra Paul), who is to be sacrificed by the cultists. In the ensuing fracas, Connie discovers that the goat-headed cult leader is actually Rev Jonathan Whirley (Christopher Plummer), and for the rest of the picture the trio of Friday, Streebek and Connie try to prove to the doubters that the greatly revered Reverend is actually a criminal mastermind of considerable repute and depravity.

At 106 minutes, the film is pretty brisk and never really taxes one's patience. As mentioned, the plot is hackneyed and in truth is never used as anything more than a backcloth against which to highlight some comic set pieces. The comedy itself is amusing though never more (I certainly can't think of a line or sequence which I would call "hilarious"). There was an opportunity here for some witty interplay between the two heroes, but generally-speaking the film tends to reject this opportunity in favour of a more physical and frantic brand of humour. Akroyd is good as the absurdly rule-abiding Friday, and Plummer gives an enjoyably villainous turn as the film's sinister, smirking bad guy. But the film mainly belongs to Hanks, still in the relatively early days of his film career, who brings energy and confidence to his role. There's nothing remarkable about Dragnet, but it passes the time painlessly enough.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great weekend movie to be enjoyed with popcorn
MovieAddict201630 July 2001
It gets a bit better every time, until about the 5th time. Then you get a little bored of it. That's why it should be enjoyed Friday night, with a bowl of popcorn,and you should really try to listen to some of the jokes. I must admit a few of the things are a little exaggerated, but it makes up for it with funny things. The expressions and everything Akyroyd does is perfect as the new Joe Friday. I also love how Hanks reacts to some of the things Akyroyd does, and vice versa. The plot is after Friday's old partner leaves, he gets Tom Hanks as his new sidekick, Streeback. They are trying to find out why a cult has been taking things from the animals at a local zoo, a magazine company's been burned down by the cult, and the mystery unravels as you're watching. Like I said, gets a little old after a while, but it's definately worth renting out on Friday night. 3 and a half stars out of 5
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No humor in this brainless film
SimonJack3 September 2017
Satire is a wonderful, but small genre, of movies. The most difficult to make truly funny is satire of movies or of TV programs. That's because they are hard to come up with originality. When the audience knows the original source so well, the writers have to create comedy that we can't see coming. It's the surprise that's needed to put the dialog across as humorous.

Unfortunately, "Dragnet" missed on this big time. It was so predictable throughout, that it's almost devoid of any original humor. That means no laughs. Then, with its combination of crude and crud, this film comes off as a big turd. It's too bad Tom Hanks picked this and a couple other stinker films as his career was taking off. And, Dan Aykroyd is capable of great comedy, not dumb, humorless garbage like this.

This "Dragnet" has one piece of biting satire that seems befitting for the home of Tinseltown. In a TV program within the movie, the mayor of Los Angeles, Jane Kirkpatrick (played by Elizabeth Ashley), is thanking the Rev. Whirley (played by Christopher Plummer) on his selection of L. A. for his new program.

Mayor Kirkpatrick, "What a deep honor it is for this city that you have chosen Los Angeles to be the new focal point for the Moral Advancement Movement of America (MAMA)." Rev. Whirley, "Oh, it's quite simple, uh, really, uh, Jane. If one wishes to effect a financial upheaval in this country, one should set his or her sights on Wall Street. If one wishes to revolutionize the, uh, political system, he or she would naturally go to Washington, heh, heh. But, uh, when dealing with, uh, pornography, filth, crime, degradation, what better place is there to begin with than Los Angeles, the current capital of depravity in what sadly passes for the modern world?"
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
shopworn knee-jerk humor
mjneu5915 November 2010
Imitation may or may not be a sincere form of flattery, but a good parody is a difficult challenge, because the inspiration is rarely rich enough to sustain a feature length comedy. This lampoon of the old Jack Webb television series plays like a broad twenty minute sketch, spread out over 100 minutes and padded with details obviously directed at viewers too young to even remember the original TV drama: Car chases, furious action, trendy rock music, and the same sort of smug humor warmed over from Saturday Night Live. The element of satire doesn't extend beyond Dan Ackroyd's square jaw and laconic monotone, clearly a pretty thin base for the overblown plot, involving political scandals and demonic rituals in downtown Los Angeles. Familiar details (the 'dum-de-dum-dum' music theme) and mannerisms ("just the facts, ma'am") are salted throughout the film, never attached to any joke but simply there to prompt a knee-jerk chuckle of simple recognition. Ho hum.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun.
MovieAddict201631 October 2003
"Dragnet" is the type of low-budget 80s movie that you love to love. It's cheesy. It's fun. And it's incredibly stupid. Yet somehow actors Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks manage to rise above the material and make this one of the more memorable cop-buddy action-comedies out there.

Make no mistake about it; "Dragnet" is not a remake of the world-renowned and well-loved series. It's a parody. From Aykroyd's contorted facial features that imply he is suffering from a serious case of constipation, to Hanks' fun role as his New Age partner, this movie knows that it stands no chance against competing with the series itself, so it aims for the funny bone. It mimics the biggest cop-buddy clichés and television stereotypes and, unless you're open enough, you may think that the clichés are actually being used seriously. But you'd be wrong--from the opening credits, "Dragnet" knows exactly what it is doing. And it stays that way throughout the entire film. Well, almost.

Occasionally it gets a bit TOO cheesy and glossy -- the opening credits with a revamped theme song, a sacrifice scene (fun but nevertheless very silly), and the last standard shoot-out/car-chase/buddy bonding fifteen minutes or so become disappointing. But the film more than makes up for itself in other areas.

Dan Aykroyd is strikingly accurate as Joe Friday, nephew of the original but still carrying the chiseled features of his uncle, the straight hat and freshly ironed suit, along with the monotone voice. ("Just the facts.")

Tom Hanks is having lots of fun as Streebeck, Friday's new partner who--on the first day of work and filling in the shoes of Friday's preceding partner--arrives completely happy and oblivious of his flaws in a broken-down car and illeva (wearing) shaggy, shredded clothes and a big bushy beard. That won't do. Off with the beard, in with an ironed blue suit and handsome haircut.

The two cops are put on a case involving recent "pagan murders." We later find out that P.A.G.A.N. stands for People Against Good and Normalty (I wonder how long it took them to come up with that slogan). The leader of the occult is none other than a prominent figure of the city, played by the strange Christopher Plummer, who seems adamant in proving that he can play dark roles. (He personally refers to "The Sound of Music" as "The Sound of Mucus." In short, he hates the film for typecasting him as a cheery father figure.)

Dan Aykroyd seems born to play this role. The Canadian actor has had his fair share of bad films ("Nothing But Trouble," "My Girl 2," "Feeling Minnesota," "Crossroads"), but he's also had his fair share of great films ("The Blues Brothers," "Ghostbusters," and, in my humble opinion, the campy, cheesy "The Great Outdoors"). "Dragnet" ranks as one of his better films and better roles--he plays his character with such ease and joy it's hard to imagine anyone else as Joe. (Why is it that films and television shows from the fifties and sixties always named their heroes Frank or Joe?)

It's clearly evident that Tom Hanks is enjoying himself as Streebeck -- and who wouldn't be? He gets to play the laidback, new generation cop that doesn't take things as seriously as, perhaps, they should be taken. Joe Friday seems to have been stuck in some sort of time vault, or maybe his uncle overly influenced him. Either way, they're complete opposites, and it's fun to have Aykroyd marching forward while Hanks hangs back and shrugs his shoulders. Tom Hanks made a lot of "fun" movies during the eighties. Another guilty pleasure of mine is the lovable "Turner and Hootch," a film that though clichéd and extremely predictable is just as fun as "Dragnet." Here, Hanks plays the loose cop. There, he plays the straight cop, and the dog, Hootch, is the carefree partner. Am I comparing Tom Hanks' character in "Dragnet" to a dog? Gee, I sure hope not.

"Dragnet" is the type of comedy that I classify as a late-night Friday popcorn flick, to be enjoyed with some popcorn and soda and all the lights off. It's the type of movie that comes on TBS at two in the morning and, if you're a night owl like me, is much better at night than during the day. It's a happy comedy that puts a smile on your face. Maybe the fact that I saw it late at night influenced my thoughts on this film, but I've seen it countless times since, during day and night, and I love it.

There's plenty of clichés in this movie, plenty of OTT scenes, and plenty of stupidity. But Aykroyd is so good impersonating Jack Webb, and Hanks is so funny opposite him, "Dragnet" is a sure-fire way to spend a Friday night in -- or any night in, for that matter. And, as Joe Friday might say, those're the facts.

4/5 stars.

• John Ulmer
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking in any laughs
blott2319-11 December 2020
When translating a TV show into a movie I have found that there are 2 main roads you can take. The first is trying to create a faithful homage to the show that matches the tone and style of the original, even if some ideas are adapted to fit modern sensibilities. The second is to lampoon the original and make a comedy that pokes fun at all the flaws in it, while still showing some reverence for what made the show popular. Dragnet tries hard to be the latter, but has one fatal flaw...it's not funny. They are making an utter mockery of a decent TV police drama from the 1960s, but don't seem to know how to be funny. Half the time it feels like we're just supposed to laugh because Tom Hanks is there with his buffoonery to contrast with Dan Aykroyd's portrayal of Friday. Yet it doesn't seem like Hanks is doing anything all that humorous, he's just being a relatively normal guy for the late 80s.

There are moments where it feels like Dragnet is pushing the boundaries and might spill over into being a complete spoof, and that's when I was most hopeful that they had figured it out. I would have laughed much more if it were pure screwball nonsense that's happening around Aykroyd's completely straight performance (and someone got the idea to make that movie a year later and call it "The Naked Gun.") It feels like they're counting on the mystery in Dragnet to provide a solid story to work alongside the comedy, but even that didn't work. All the clues were obvious, and it was not a great mystery who was behind the evil plans. I remember seeing this movie decades ago and thinking it would be a treat since I was a fan of the TV series (thanks to Nick at Nite.) I'm sad to say my original disappointment with what I saw was warranted. Dragnet is a lame film that probably shouldn't have been made.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dragnet ought to survive this mishap
Nozz21 January 2000
In trying to make Dragnet look ridiculous, this movie-- unlike Stan Freberg's classic parodies-- only makes itself look ridiculous. Itself, and the people who sold such a fine property down the river. It will take a while for Dragnet to live this down, but Zorro came back after the "Gay Blade" parody and Dragnet too should be back one day, taut and suspenseful.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good & Bad Of 'Dragnet (87)'
ccthemovieman-11 January 2007
GOOD - This is a fast-moving film which entertains throughout. It features a good mixture of humor and action. Dan Aykroyd does a good job imitating Jack Webb as "Joe Friday. Alexandra Paul has about the sweetest face and smile I've seen on film. Too bad she never was involved with any other films I know about.

BAD - Another cheap shot at Christianity as a "reverend" is the bad guy in the movie. The movie associates greed, money and power with the church. Real moral subjects are treated lightly and with irreverence. On the violence, there is too Rambo mentality where the good guys never get hit.

OVERALL - Entertaining and worth a rental and perhaps a purchase.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just the fracas, ma'am
lee_eisenberg13 December 2009
I've never seen the TV series "Dragnet", and I've heard that it was little more than an excuse to glorify the police, lionizing them for going after hippies. Therefore, I'm perfectly content only knowing the 1980s movie starring Dan Aykroyd as the no-nonsense Joe Friday and Tom Hanks as his hip new sidekick. While the plot focuses on their investigation of a shady televangelist (Christopher Plummer), it's mostly an excuse for both men to be just plain old funny. Both guys easily succeed in that respect. It's the most hilarious - let alone the best - movie for either, but truly a nice bit of entertainment for its running length. Worth seeing for that.

Also starring Alexandra Paul, Jack O'Halloran, Kathleen Freeman and Dabney Coleman.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.