Married... with Children (TV Series 1987–1997) Poster

(1987–1997)

Portrait of the American Family
bkoganbing12 June 2017
Sadly if you took a survey I think that more people would identify with Al Bundy as the American father than Ward Cleaver. Ward might be what we aspire to, but Al sadly is what we are.

Ed O'Neill as the much but upon Al Bundy was the lead in Married With Children. In doing so he revived another genre in which the American husband and father is a put upon idiot like Danny Thomas for instance. But this show went much farther. Katey Sagal as mother spends her whole day on her coach watching soap operas and eating bonbons. We all felt for Al getting stuck with this and supporting her and the kids on his miserable dead end job as a shoe salesman for women's footwear.

That wasn't it for Married With Children. Nobody would ever confuse Christina Applegate with Sandra Dee dripping with sweet virginity. The girl is dumber than a post and puts out to one and all. There was a great line in one of the shows when she took a career guidance test and the result was "lumber camp toy or the other woman".

There is also David Faustino as Bud who was intelligent, but the ultimate social misfit. Not likely to be the high school football hero Al was, four touchdowns in a single game Bundy little knowing those were his glory years. Many can identify with that.

Every episode focused on one or more of these role models. The neighbor was Amanda Bearse who went through two husbands during the show's run. First was David Garrison who like her was an upwardly mobile yuppie in the banking business. She and O'Neill had a war of words for the run of the show. Secondly was Ted McGinley who was a lay about gigolo, a trophy husband as it were.

These six characters and the acid look at the American family are what gave Married With Children it's cynical vibe. It also entertained America from the tail end of the Reagan years well into the Clinton years. Some of the stories went into the surreal, but they were always hilarious.

Ed O'Neill for a long time couldn't get work so identified with Al Bundy that he was. Ironically he's now on another hit show playing a family patriarch, much different than Al.

But as the much put upon symbol of the American male is what I remember Ed O'Neill as the indelible, unforgettable Al Bundy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Iconic ground breaking hit
SnoopyStyle6 September 2013
A dysfunctional family headed by a loud mouth idiot is nothing new. In fact, it's a dime a dozen nowadays. But for its times, it pushed all the envelopes.

Ed O'Neill delivers a big time performance as the loser husband shoe salesman. Katey Sagal creates a chocolate bonbon filled wife. Christina Applegate is the dim-witted blonde daughter. David Faustino is the creepy little brother.

The writing is rock-solid. The show kept pushing the censors. The fact that many people opposed it just made it so much better. But it's the actors who created such outlandish characters that deserves the most praise. It lasted a shocking 11 years. The last few were of lower quality stuff, but it still deserves all the love.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
special
Kirpianuscus25 October 2016
its secret of success is the art to transform insignificant, small every day details in the perfect show. because each of us is a member of the Bundy family or his neighbors. the frustrations, the fears, the embarrassing facts and the stereotypes are present in this amazing show about values and not charming sides of it. and this is all. and it is enough for see yourself from different angle, fore recognize common sins and for discover the old fashion comedy in new package but with the old ingredients . the life of an ordinary family across changes, challenges and sins. right answer to the pink worlds proposed by entertainment industry. and this does it special. so, Married with Children. and the voice of Frank Sinatra as introduction.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Funniest Sitcoms Ever.
rmax30482325 October 2008
I may be warped but I find this series to be among the handful of enduring classics among all the TV sitcoms that have been aired. Full disclosure? Others include "I Love Lucy," "The Honeymooners," "Mary Tyler Moore," and "Bob Newhart." To sharpen up the taxonomy, I'll put "Married With Children" together with "The Honeymooners" in the "Outrageous" category, in which people get screamed at and bopped over the head. "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Bob Newhart" offer a more realistic, low-key set of comedic situations, much of the humor stemming from awkward situations, such as dating a man shorter than you are. We may call this category "Grounded." "Lucy" falls between the two.

There's been a lot of vulgarity on TV since "Married With Children" began twenty years ago, but most of the recent stuff has been without wit, let alone keen wit. And what unpromising material to begin with! A shoe salesman and his selfish family living in a Chicago suburb. I mean -- if he had been a pilot or a doctor, or a couple of mixed race, think of the possibilities. But a poor shoe salesman? How many jokes can you squeeze out of shoes? (Quite a few.)

I'll give an example of the kind of humor I find hilarious in this series, an example in which nobody get bonked on the head or screamed at. For some reason I forget, the two kids, Bud, the miles gloriosus, and succulent, blond, extravagantly stupid Kelly, decide to follow their Dad, Al Bundy, to work and secretly film his day on the job as a kind of cinema verite. They hide unseen behind the cash register and Al enters the empty shoe shop with a big smile and strips off his coat, ready to go to work, another day with his shoulder to the wheel, his nose to the grindstone, his wallet to whatever machine it is that empties wallets. Then Al sits down on one of the stools and buries his face quietly in his hands. The kids continue filming his motionless form. He is Rodin's "Thinker," only trying to rid himself of thoughts. Dissolve to three hours later. The kids are still filming, looking at each other in disbelief. Al hasn't moved a muscle. One couldn't dream up a more perfect picture of comic despair. The Death of a Shoe Salesman, mingling pathos with humor.

I suppose there was a slow deterioration in the quality of the shows. I haven't noticed any but I haven't seen all of them in sequence. Those things are inevitable, though. Every engine runs out of steam. It's one of Newton's laws and it's exemplified in "All in the Family," which began its slow deflation after Show Number One. The only sign of desperation I saw in the writers was the introduction of a boring and distracting adopted kid named "Seven," who faded away without explanation kind of quickly.

There's quite a bit of vulgarity, though not nearly as much as, say, "NYPD Blue" or "Law & Order." The humor is sometimes raunchy -- toilets and menstruation -- and it's certainly politically incorrect. That's one of the reasons I classified it as "Outrageous." But so what? It might not go over in middle-class Victorian circles but there are things going on now, unjust wars and suicide bombings by religious fanatics, that are truly obscene. This stuff is FUNNY. And, after all, if you find it offensive, then by all means you shouldn't watch a show that incorporates these topics as sources of laughter.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny
Quinoa19849 July 2000
I really liked this show. They shouldn't of cancelled this show (but come to think of it the Bundys were getting old) because despite some stupid jokes, this was funny (and where else are you going to see a sitcom with a family that has the same name of a serial killer). Not always bright, but always entertaining.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's A Reason It Was On For 11-Years
dougdoepke31 October 2019
It sure ain't Father Knows Best, Leave It To Beaver, or Ozzie And Harriet. Those 1950's family shows perfectly defined that air-brushed decade with their fantasy mom, dad, and kids, where no problem couldn't be solved by dad just moving his car and the kids piling in. Against that fantasy world MWC must come from a different planet, or maybe even solar system. Daughter Kelly's Saturday night dates exceed her IQ, while son Bud dates only in his imagination. At the same time, dad Al last smiled when wife Peg almost chopped off her finger, while Peg might one day learn how to turn on a stove. In short, the Bundys amount to the last word in tv's dysfunctional families. For this geezer who grew up with 50's tv families, this 90's version amounts to a hilarious step toward another kind of reality, maybe not the kind we want to be a part of, but a gutsy one for tv to undertake.
Ahhh no Peg
bevo-1367830 March 2020
Very funny show. I like it when Al makes fun of fat women in the shoe store
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crude and mean--but hysterical!
preppy-327 July 2011
Sit com that lasted 10 years about the Bundys--Al (Ed O'Neill), wife Peggy (Katey Sagal), son Bud (David Faustino) and daughter Kelly (Christina Applegate). Al is a shoe salesman and hates his job, Peggy just stays home and does nothing, Bud is (somehow) very smart but can't get a date and Kelly is gorgeous but VERY dumb and sleeps around. It also deals with their long-suffering neighbors--Marcy (Amanda Bearse) and Steve (David Garrison) and (later on) Jefferson (Ted McGinley). Basically the show is nonstop insults and sarcasm between all the characters and various situations they get into.

The show started on Fox and was basically dumped on Sunday night at 8:30 and left alone. That gave the writers free reign and they pushed the envelope more than once. The shows got VERY outrageous and dealt with touchy subjects (most involving sex). One of the episodes (The Camping Show from season 3) was so extreme they put it on at 9:00. The first four seasons were fantastic--VERY funny and well-done. After that the show quickly fell apart. The jokes got repetitious and the laughs were few and far between. Still the ratings were strong and Al became an icon for working men all over. However Fox seemed embarrassed by the show and (by the 10th season) wanted it off. They moved it to Saturday night, the ratings dropped and it was quickly canceled.

This show pushed the boundaries of comedy and, without it, we wouldn't have had the sitcoms we have today. Very mean and cruel by fun. A 10 all the way.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliantly, fearlessly funny
grantss12 April 2018
Al Bundy is your average working man. He has a wife, Peg, whom he tolerates, and two teenage children, Kelly and Bud. Together they make up a rather dysfunctional and hysterically funny family.

Brilliantly funny. A satire on your average family, and on some of the characters that constitute them.

Fearless in its irreverence and ability to poke fun at domesticity, the mundanities and of life and the baser elements of our nature. I doubt it could be made today, unfortunately.

Wickedly funny.
A real treasure
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews14 September 2010
Meet Al Bundy. He sells shoes. For women, no less. And not pretty ones, either. His wife is a couch potato(a crimson-haired Sagal who never misses Oprah), his son a dateless loser(who tries to be cool), and his daughter an airheaded tramp(who takes great pleasure in finding Waldo). And while he remains pathetically locked into the lower middle class, his next-door neighbours, the Rhoades, freely flaunt their Mercedes, their high-paying jobs at the bank and their position above him. Over the course of the 10 years that this ran(!), Bindi... sorry, Birdie... oh, nevermind... will start his own religion(to enjoy tax-exempt status), become an inventor, will go to Washington and in general try(usually ending up at the starting position, like the tendency goes for sit-coms) to recapture his glory days(did you know that he scored four touch-downs in a single game in high school football?). His life may be miserable, but it certainly is never boring to watch. The comedy is raunchy, crude(with that said, it is also clever, referential, cartoony and at times, satirical), and not politically correct... in short, an incredible release for all the pent-up anxiety and frustration for every viewer forced to sit through the Brady Bunch and every other "perfect family with well-behaved kids" that preceded this. Finally, there was a group of people who you could point to and, rather than go "man, why can't we be like them?", say "well, at least we're not as bad as them!". This was the American Pie of its time; telling teenagers that, yes, it is, in fact, OK. You're not as weird or as randy as you might think you are. And this extends that to the older generation, as well; Ed O'Neill(who *nails* the role) voices many opinions held by Conservatives(no, I do not always agree with them... still, I defend the right to have them expressed in a free media), even if they were no longer considered to be "ok", when the changes(men becoming metrosexuals, women gaining rights, computers, etc.). The Liberals had their arguments presented(through Marcy), as well. This very directly confronts actual issues from the time, such as the low wages for public school teachers. The characters tend to be unsympathetic, yet they capture and keep our attention. Part of us wants them to succeed, and cheer them on. This grew as it progressed... compare the pilot to later episodes, and you may have trouble recognizing them. Early on, they didn't cross the line much; later, they pushed it whenever they could. In addition to a time capsule of the late 80's and most of the 90's(from the perspective of someone who grew up decades earlier), this, based on its popularity, is solid proof that we do, indeed, need to blow off some steam sometimes. Does anyone want to be these people? No. So you don't see anyone trying. This is an understandable reaction to TV of varying quality all based around the idea that the only thing that could be presented was good examples, something to look up to and copy. There is a lot of disturbing content, violence(bloodless), sexuality(nothing explicit), and a little moderate language in this. I recommend it to anyone not too prudish for it, and especially fans of Benny Hill, 'Allo 'Allo and similar series. 9/10
48 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proud member of the Philly chapter of No Mam
movieman_kev13 October 2005
One of my favorite shows as a kid revolved around Al Bundy, a misogynistic slob who forever fondly remembered his glory days while hating the hell that was his life now. Married to an ungrateful money-hungry, sex-stared nag of a wife, Peg, and his selfish kids: the dorky sex-hungry Bug and the bombshell but borderline mentally retarded Kelly. I tuned in week in and week out, enamored by the family's constant put-downs of each other and everyone else. I loved the crass, juvenile humor. And you know what? I STILL do!! It's such a timeless great piece of trash. Yea the jokes are always the same (jokes on fatties, Al's job, Peg's lack of sex, Kelly being an idiot, etcetera), but who cares? those jokes are endlessly funny. When Seven joined the cast the laughter died down quite a bit. They had the sensibility to give the brat the heave ho but it was never the same afterwords.

My Grade: A
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I watched it from the beginning to the end!
Sylviastel22 July 2005
I love "Married with Children" for a lot of reasons. I remember when it first aired on the new Fox station. "Married with Children" and "The Tracey Ullman Show" were the first two shows to air on Sunday nights and the first night, it was aired twice. There has not been another show like it and it's still missed very much. When "Friends" became successful, you hoped that they would create the anti-Friends version of the show just like Married with Children Bundys was inspired by the 80's Cosby Show and the almost too real Huxtable clan. The Bundys were every family. The teens like Peg and Al who got married with no college education ended up struggling with two undesirable children like Bud and Kelly. The Bundys never had the luck like any of our other television families. Ed O'Neil deserved an Emmy. He liked Al so much that he is still fond of the role. Katey Sagal was unforgettable as Peggy with her red bouncy air and laugh. They were the unlikeliest pairing but it worked. Christina Applegate will always be remembered as the definitive dumb blonde Kelly Bundy. Her character like Peggy and Al never changed and we wouldn't want them too. Remember when they change the characters by improving them on television, the characters lose their original, natural appeal. Even David Faustino's Bud was still the pervert from beginning to end of the show. The neighbors began with Steve and Marcy Rhodes, both trained in New York City theater. Steve played by David Garrison was the typical boring father type on the show and his wife played by Amanda Bearse really became more than just a modern woman. As Marcy Rhodes Darcy, she became her own character without having too rely too much on her husband. When Garrison left the show to return to Broadway, Marcy was alone but not for long until Ted McGinley's Jefferson Darcy came into the picture. Finally Al met his match, a good-looking gigolo who avoided work. Jefferson too had a spotty history. Al and Marcy's battles were always fun to watch. In fact, Bearse also directed several of the show's episodes when she was not in front of the camera and has become one of television's comedic directors since the show ended by Fox abruptly. I loved AL's male friends like Griff, Ike, Bob Rooney, and officer Dan. The show may have made jokes at the expense of a lot of overweight even obese actresses but that gave them exposure and work so I don't think Married with Children should get too much negative criticism. I don't see other shows using plus sized women at all. This was a fun show to watch and I still miss it.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
legend
Vincentiu28 April 2013
reflecting ordinary problems of a family, using large sort of humor, creating memorable characters, it is a legend. out of definitions, it remains more than source of nice memories but a form of pop art. because it reflects reality in a special unique form. because the song of Frank Sinatra has new nuances and for Ed O'Neill is one of biggest performances. almost vulgar, too honest, ironic, absurd, strange, it becomes, episode by episode, a picture. its secret is precise connection with reality. the genius of director to give slices of small facts from every day in a kind of society portrait. a family like reflection of its viewers. and nice art to be the jester of modern time.it is a legend. not for the ten years in which it was made, not for memorable jokes. only for the inspired manner to present reality as a big large source of humor.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love & Marriage Begets Horse & Carriage
DKosty12325 November 2008
This show is an entertaining show because it never pretended to be anything but low brow hit in the gut humor. Early on it was there to help the FOX network fill space. From there it developed into something of a cult viewing.

The characters were well drawn and a lot of the humor came from throwing them together. Al Bundy became a cultural anti-hero. Peg, his wife, became a totally defined modern something that was there to aggravate Al. Bud Bundy became the most frustrated teen age son that ever existed because even when he did score it would somehow back fire. Christina Applegate(Kelly) is the eye candy daughter who would look good but who could be the kind of Satan that she would cross up everything.

Then there was Buck, the wonder dog who at times draws major laughs out of the most bizarre things happening around them. The neighbors headed by Ted McGinley & Amanda Bearse (Marcey & Jefferson) would manage a relationship with the ultimate dysfunctional family. This show pushed the adult humor border almost as often as The Simpsons but with wackier results.

There are times that the jokes hit the target and times they miss the target. The thing is to get great humor you have to throw things against the wall and see what sticks. With the Bundys, you throw up on the wall and the floor opens up & swallows your children. That is what Married With Children is really all about.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dysfunctional TV show.
OllieSuave-00725 January 2021
This is one of those TV sitcoms that just presents screwball comedy with no redeemable characters and positive messages we could take away from. It is just a low class show about the everyday life of a shoe salesman and his money-sucking unemployed wife, man-hungry daughter, and low-IQ son. It's purely a dysfunctional show with a dysfunctional family that forces comedy on you in a way that is too insulting to appreciate.

Of course, there are people who watches this stuff and thinks it is pure entertainment and good for laughs (true at times), but I hope it doesn't influence them so much that they would disrespect society and others. It's a shame that shows like this continue to have no substance and no redeemable qualities.

Grade D---
3 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Anti-Family
atlasmb11 December 2020
Imagine what a gamble it was to put this series on the air: a show about a dysfunctional family (we might call them the anti-family) consisting of four unlikable people. Each of them is lazy, inconsiderate, and self-centered. And none of them are bright.

The Bundys (and their neighbors) are certainly not role models. The fact that none of them are angels, and each of them is out to screw over the others, gives the writers a freedom to attack any of the characters without mercy. Sarcasm is the language the Bundys know best.

The father, Al (Ed O'Neill) is portrayed as an incompetent shoe salesman who hates his job. Wife Peggy's (Katey Sagal) goal in life is to spend all the family's money on her personal indulgences. Daughter Kelly (Christina Applegate) is promiscuous and, somehow, dumber than the others. Son Bud (David Faustino) is a chip off the old block.

The cast would go on to better work (for example, Ed O'Neill in "Modern Family", that excellent sitcom), but for the many years this series aired, they gave us a comedic free-for-all that remained focused on acerbic humor, without political correctness or conventional values getting in the way.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Verdict is finally in...
Numberis613 January 2021
This show was too funny and just damn too good...

Al bundy was the Trump of the 80s-90s. He just didn't give a sheet and that's why people like him and this show.

A show like this would get crucified even by Trump supporters, libbies, moms and by sjws because people yearn to get offended by something.

Verdict: Marriage is a man made prisons...your doing time

I don't normally address this: Why do I have 6 unhelpful thumbs for a positive review? Is 7 too low? MWC was a good show. I liked it. It's not 10 good its still a good show. Al Bundy family is an iCONIC family.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life with the Bundies
Petey-1014 September 1999
Married...with Children was a great show about an unloving family.The head of the family Al Bundy was played by Ed O'Neill, who was a women's shoes salesman and who didn't want to have sex with his wife.Katey Sagal was playing Peggy Bundy, the red head mother and the wife, who got her best tips from TV.The son Bud Bundy was played by David Faustino, who wanted the girls but didn't get them too often.Christina Applegate played the daughter Kelly Bundy, who had the look, but didn't have the brains.The smartest in the Bundy family was Buck the dog.Amanda Bearse played the neighbour Marcy Rhoades D'Arcy, whose relationship with Al wasn't that great.Marcy's husband Steve Rhodes was played by David Garrison, but after he left, the new man was Jefferson D'Arcy, played by Ted McGinley. The show had many jokes about sex and fat women.The show had good ten years.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent display of black humor. The reflex of a society but only funnier.
insomniac_rod30 July 2006
After season 4 this sitcom looked like it had potential to become one of the best comedies ever created. Sadly, in the mid 90's "Married..." turned into a cheesy black comedy with Al Bundy as a super hero. Still , the series ended decently and still is considered one of the best.

"Married..." has reached a t.v. series cult status and has generated thousands of passionate fans. It's really impressive to see how this sitcom has left it's own trade on t.v. history. None other comedy like this has been produced. This is a sui generis t.v. show. Al Bundy is a hero for many people and one of the most beloved t.v. characters in history.

The series made fun of feminism, white trash, an economic lower class, sex, homosexuality, machismo, etc. but in a black comedy way. The first seasons were more raw and with heavy sex jokes that were later toned down. The creativity of the original writers was excellent and set a way to black comedy t.v. series.

The cast was simply great, there was an excellent chemistry between all of them. Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal are easily the best married couple on t.v. They could insult each other but you knew there was a lot of love and sexual tension between them. Both are excellent actors and it's beyond reason why they didn't receive an Emmy for their performances. Amanda Bearse did a great job as Al's number one enemy but you could feel that both actors had excellent chemistry between them. The same goes for Bearse and Ted McGingley, an underrated comedy actor. David Faustino and Christina Applegate were excellent in their roles and their brother-sister relationship is hilarious.

Please, watch the re-runs of this show because it's a part of pop culture. The lines of the show are pure genius and it displays a magnificent use of sarcasm and irony. The show did get cheesier by the last seasons but still it was funny. Too bad that there isn't a real ending to this legendary and beloved show.

Thanks "Married..." for growing with me and always managed to make me smile (or lough out loud) when I really needed it. It's my personal favorite sitcom of all time but objectively, this is one of the best comedy series ever created.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A winner of a comedy, and one of the biggest laugh quotas in 30 minutes
videorama-759-85939110 December 2014
This is one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen in my life. Ed O'Neill was born to play Al Bundy, and the same goes for the other principal cast in the roles, even the dog. The dialogue is so acute and punchy, but too the show scores laughs with some normal dialogue as in reaction dialogue. In thirty minutes the laugh quota is so high. Is Married With Children heartless- yes, which sets it apart from the other comedies. The Budster really makes me laugh. He and his sister's dialogue of ridicule at one another is so inventive, you have no idea what's gonna spout out, but you're guaranteed it's gonna be funny. Christina Applegate as the dumbbell sister, really convinces us, she's got the brain of a coconut. She's an actress you truly underrate, who later branched into films, really showing what she could do. The change of casting with one of the neighbors was interesting, where I really did prefer Happy Day's Tim McGinley in the role. Although there's people out there, that are truly against the show, cause of it's messages or ill morals, you just have to see it for what it's worth, as one of the funniest comedies you'll ever see, but it's a family you wouldn't want to be part of for sure.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute FOX classic!
Catherine_Grace_Zeh23 January 2006
"MARRIED WITH CHILDREN," in my opinion, is an absolute FOX classic! I'm not sure I've seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. One of my favorites would have to be the one where a protest breaks out in the shoe store. I liked it when a mishap occurred. I always laughed at that. Even though I liked Ted McGinley, it would have been nice if all the main characters stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, I hope it stays on FX for fans of the show to see for a long time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original Dysfunctional Family!
ShelbyTMItchell11 November 2013
This show as the most dysfunctional that you could get. As before he was in Modern Family, Ed O Neil starred as a father who really hated his job and before she was in Sons of Anarchy, Katey Segal was lazy wife Peg.

They had two children that are from you know where. Bud who is like his father. Play by David Faustino. But also is something of a man that really wants to make out with women. And Kelly the man hungry dog, played by Christina Applegate.

The show was one of the original shows on Fox. And helped put them on the map way before the Simpsons. It was indeed trash. And very dysfunctional. But still, one show that is very dysfunctional
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A timeless classic
ctomvelu13 January 2011
The only show to top MWC since its demise has been EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND. But in its time, MWC had no equal. Picking up where ALL IN THE FAMILY left off, MWC offered us a white-trash family where anything and everything goes. Shoe salesman Al Bundy, whose greatest moment in life was scoring four touchdowns in a high school football game, is just trying to get by from day to day. His job is hell, and his home life isn't much better. He has a slattern for a wife and two growing children. While the boy is intelligent, he appears to be on the same downward path as his dad (although that changed somewhat as the series went on). The daughter is a classic blonde bimbo. The show was way over the top for its time, since outdone in over the topness only by FAMILY GUY. Gays, fat broads and the next-door neighbor were some of Al's favorite targets as he railed against the world. He also was quick with his fists, which the audience ate up. Ed O'Neill was perfect as the brain-dead man of the house. He actually toned down the character a bit as the years wore on. See the pilot or any early episode and then watch an episode from later in the series to see what I mean. Most of the show was set in the Bundy's living room, and yet it worked. For that matter, most of RAYMOND took place in the Barones' living room, and that show worked just as well. It's all in the writing and delivery, folks.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did it end!
Rob_Taylor25 April 2004
This show is an all time classic and it's easy to see where more modern shows, especially such total and blatant rip-offs as the Simpsons, have their roots.

Married came about at a time when all other family sit-coms were sickly-sweet and correct. Who can forget such horrors as the Cosby Show or Diff'rent Strokes? Married was different. It dared to push the envelope of what was considered (at the time) right and proper. The family wasn't nice to each other all the time (or even any of the time!) and the show had a more real feel to it as a result.

Of course, reality quickly became subjective in Married, as the episodes became ever more ridiculous and crazy. But every show pandered to some aspect of family life that we can all identify with - car sharing, hatred of our spouses relatives, puberty, dating, work etc. etc. The list is endless. If it's a real life issue, Married has spoofed it in some way or other. Nothing was sacred. Even PMS! Though the writers were reigned in a few times, by all accounts.

The show ran for eleven seasons and over 250 episodes, which is pretty incredible for a comedy show and really should give you an indication of the dedicated fan base that Married attracted. I suspect the show will be in re-runs somewhere until the end of TV as an entertainment medium.

For more info on the show I recommend the E True Story documentary on the show, which really gives an insight into how the show started, progressed and finally was cancelled.
47 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.