Lucas (1986) Poster

(1986)

Underrated teen flick.
BrandonHamilton7 December 2001
This is a great, great film. Quite possibly one of the most accurate depictions of high school life I've ever seen. Lucas is funny, touching, and insightful. Corey Haim gives a truly winning performance as the tormented title character and makes the audience sympathetic towards him. Charlie Sheen, Kerri Green, and Winona Ryder all leave their mark in this film as his few friends and the rest of the cast works nicely. The great thing about this movie is that, although billed as a romantic comedy, it is more of a drama that explores the difficulty of being an outsider, this film doesn't give in to teen-flick cliches, it is almost relentless in terms of causing the audience to feel sorry for Lucas and at times it's downright scary. This film really made me think about how stupid high school social structures can be, it really is that bad for some people, in fact it's worse. I think this film is an emotional, moral masterpiece. I hate high school, I love Lucas. If you want to see high school for what it really is...skip "Ferris Bueller" or "10 things I hate about you", see Lucas, good stuff.
40 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming
elipooh15 April 2006
I saw Lucas for the first time today... more than 20 years since it first came out. I have to admit, I'm a huge 80's fan and even though I was just a kid during the 80's I consider myself to be pretty familiar with the pop culture of the time. However, for some odd reason, I never got around to seeing Lucas. I have to say that, despite the fact that this movie is so old and I've seen movies with similar plots since, this movie still made me teary-eyed. I absolutely adored Corey Haim when I was a young girl and his role as the sweet, vulnerable, yet highly intelligent nerd gave me the fuzzies... the same way he used to when I was young. He, along with the rest of the cast (including Kerri Green, Winona Ryder, and Charlie Sheen), gave a great performance... typical of the 80's teen flicks (with an over-abundance of clichés), but, nonetheless, touching. It's definitely up there with the all time classics: Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink... and any of the flicks including the Brat Pack. Definitely worth seeing if you're in a nostalgic mood and want to revisit the old days of knee-high tube socks and head bands.
30 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The locust will be back soon...
=G=6 October 2001
...and "Lucas" is still a charming and sentimental little high school campus comedy with a message about what's important in life (and it ain't football). Telling of a goggle-eyed "shrimp" (Haim) with little going for him, save his indomitable spirit, who tries desperately to win the affection of a pretty cheerleader (Green), "Lucas" is a crowd pleasing blast from the past with its priorities in order. In this day when movies with messages are rare, "Lucas" is a good family flick (for 13 and up) worth revisiting.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stands alongside Breakfast Club as an Eighties teen classic
Barnes-315 May 2001
Lucas was released with little fanfare in 1986, and many think it is one of the greatest "teen" movies ever made. I would agree, for the simple reason that this particular film has realistic, sympathetic and likeable characters and, with the exception of all the football heroic antics towards the end, it's just full of sweetness and charm.

Looking back, it's one of those films with a very interesting cast...

Corey Haim (Lucas Blye) - this was Haim's finest hour, giving a really excellent performance as the title character, a misfit who listens to classical music and collects bugs in lieu of rock 'n' roll and partying. He followed this up with The Lost Boys the following year, but then WHAT happened?!!?...

Kerri Green (Maggie) - everyone loved this sweetly appealing, auburn haired actress in The Goonies (1985) and Lucas - she was lovely in both films. However, Kerri sadly chose not to persue an active film career, which is a disappointment as she would certainly have become a big movie star had she wanted to be...

Winona Ryder (Rena) - even in such a small supporting role, not to mention a debut performance, Winona indicated that she had an extraordinary acting talent. Even though her Lucas co-stars had the bigger roles, it was Winona who has become a major movie star with a huge array of films to her credit, plus two Oscar nominations for her work in The Age of Innocence (1993) and Little Women (1994)...

Charlie Sheen (Cappie) - 1986 was a great year for Martin Sheen's son. In Lucas and Platoon, Sheen did some great work. But like Corey Haim, what on earth went wrong?!...

Courtney Thorne-Smith (Alise) - who would have thought over a decade later this actress would do such a good job as Georgia Thomas in the hugely successful TV series Ally McBeal?!...

Despite its almost universal acclaim and brilliant young cast, Lucas is not as well-known to movie lovers as, say, Pretty in Pink or any other teen movie of that era. Well, all I can say is that those who have not seen Lucas are sadly missing out on something incredibly special.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Than Your Average Brat Pack Movie.
Scott-49 December 1998
This film is becoming a classic because of the fine, early performances from Winona Ryder, Charlie Sheen, Corey Haim, even Courtney Thorne-Smith of "Ally McBeal".

It is a unique movie with a love triangle where the viewer wants both guys (Sheen and Haim) to get the girl. But of course both can not.

"Lucas" is about the truths of life and relationships, and how the teenage years bring them to the surface. Another interesting element is the use of insects for symbolism.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Happened to Keri Green?
Coxer993 March 1999
What ever happened to the adorable female co-star of this film? She's quite lovely in this film, but she seems to have disappeared. Anyway, this is a fun teenage comedy-romance that features Corey Haim, before he got annoying, in a role where he showed great potential as an actor. My guess, he didn't know Corey Feldman yet? Charlie Sheen mumbles his way through the role of the jock with a heart. Winona Ryder, Jeremy Piven, Courtney-Thorne Smith also co-star in this...a cute film.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinary inspiration...
jpschapira22 December 2006
There's something extraordinary about "Lucas"; something that makes it impossible for us to reject it. We have always watched movies like "Lucas" along the ages, I have watched plenty of movies like it; and have disliked them all. Not that "Lucas" is great, but you know what I say about 'Love Actually"? If you express it with this film, "Lucas" is good as a movie, but almost brilliant as a family inspirational picture.

What happens in the film is like a tale…An old tale of a boy who is not accepted in his everyday environment and tries to live with it. The hero of this tale is the special Lucas, played by Corey Haim as a boy who is definitely stranger and more intelligent than the rest of his companions; it's something you notice immediately.

Or at least Maggie (Kerri Green) notices it. She spends the entire summer with him and when school starts he doesn't know what's going to happen. Logically, he has his two or three nerdy best friends that are there for him, included a girl named Rina (the first role Winona Ryder ever played, with 15 years old or so…Gorgeous), who obviously likes him and follows his look while he is searching for Maggie on the first day of classes.

It's not that Lucas dislikes his friends, but that he had sensed something different when knowing Maggie. But Maggie is older, and interested in older guys like Cappie (a very young Charlie Sheen), for example. In a very good scene where Cappie takes care of Lucas, Maggie thanks him and they both talk about Lucas…My brother thought Maggie was in love with Lucas, but I told him that she had a crush on Cappie…The movie understands the characters so well that it turned out the way I said, of course.

The language these kids deal with, the situations they live are real. David Seltzer, who directed and wrote the film, puts strong and hurtful words in his screenplay so they generate an impact in the picture's most moving moments. "But that doesn't turn you on, does it?", Lucas tells Maggie…That's not the kind of phrase you'd commonly listen a 13-year old say, even less on a film. That's the way Seltzer shapes his characters, in a way that we believe everything they declare and in a way that the only thing that becomes predictable in the movie is the storyline itself.

A known writer, Seltzer has directed few things. As a director, he also preserves his characters. Watch a beautiful scene where the choir is singing and the camera goes from side to side showing each of the main characters looking at the person he likes, but not one of them being corresponded with the look. That's perfect directing, even more in a film of this type…So classic: the simple edition (Priscilla Nedd-Friendly, "Down to Earth"), the touchy score (Dave Grusin, "The Goonies", "Hope Floats", "Selena").

What I'm trying to say is that, to Seltzer, is all about the movie. The actors don't show off, Corey Haim is the hero but not the star. It's about the movie; a piece with an absolutely clichéd resolution that we find inspiring and therefore embrace.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Touching and Emotional Teen Drama.
phillafella5 December 2003
Haim gives his overall best performance as the 14-year-old title character who has a crush on new girl Green and they bond during the summer, but by the time school begins, he gets teased by the jocks and Green leaves him out in the cold and has eyes for football hunk Sheen, who has become Lucas's bodyguard. Fraught with rejection and neglect, Lucas attempts to prove himself worthy by trying out for the football team, which he knows is no easy task for a boy his age. Unlike many other teen movies, LUCAS gives us a character that we can actually relate to, and the other characters fit in perfectly. One of the best teen movies of the 80's.

4 out of 5
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully true to life.
TOMASBBloodhound21 April 2003
*Spoiler Alert*

Lucas is the story of an odd, but gifted pre-pubescent youth who happens to be attending high school at an early age. He falls for the pretty new girl in town who happens to be a few years older. She, on the other hand, has the hots for hunky Charlie Sheen, and Lucas is relegated to "friend status". (As if he ever had a chance with her in the first place.)

Lucas is played by to perfection by Corey Haim. In fact this is most likely his best film role. (It sure beats the heck out of Blown Away!). Kerri Green (I wonder what she's doing today) plays the new girl in town.They along with the rest of the cast is top drawer. Many of the main characters are well-known celebs today. Look for Winona Ryder in her screen debut as a nerdy girl who has a crush on Lucas. The lovely Courtney Thorne-Smith plays Sheen's hottie girlfriend before he dumps her for Green.

As the action unfolds, we see Lucas try everything to win Green's affection to no avail. At one point he even tries out for the football team and proceeds to get clobbered by the bigger upper-classmen. We as the viewer feel for the kid, because we all know the deck is stacked against him.

This film is truly special. It packs a real emotional punch at a time when most movies dealing with teens were pretty shallow. We can all relate to Lucas to some degree. We have all pretty much had strong feelings for someone we knew we could never have. This film captures the pain involved with crushes better than any other I have seen. In some ways it can be tougher to just be friends with a girl you like than if she never talked to you at all.

Another thing that is really great about the film is the ending. It isn't simply your run-of-the-mill happy ending where the hero gets the girl. Lucas fails to win her over, but at least he wins the respect of the guys who have been tormenting him.

If you haven't seen this one, SEE IT! If you have, SEE IT AGAIN!

4&1/2 of 5 stars

So sayeth the Hound.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Touching Classic from the Wonderful 80's
claudio_carvalho28 January 2016
During the summer vacation, the fourteen year-old Lucas Bly (Corey Haim) meets the sixteen year-old newcomer in town Maggie (Kerri Green) and they become best friends. Lucas is an intelligent boy that loves bugs and shows the mansion where he lives to Maggie. When classes begin, Maggie learns that Lucas is not a popular student but an outcast nerd at school and bullied by the football players. The football captain Cappie (Charlie Sheen) protects Lucas because the boy helped him when he was ill. Soon Lucas has a crush on Maggie but she falls in love with Cappie, while Lucas' schoolmate Rina (Winona Ryder) loves him. When Maggie joins the cheerleaders, Cappie's girlfriend Alise (Courtney Thorne-Smith) becomes jealous of her and she ends the relationship with Cappie. Meanwhile Lucas joins the football team expecting to impress Maggie. During a game, Lucas is hurt and Maggie finds that he lives in a trailer with his alcoholic father. What will happen to Lucas?

"Lucas" is a touching classic from the wonderful 80's, with a pleasant and sensitive story of unrequited first love. Corey Haim has a magnificent performance in the role of a boy with no family that falls in love with an older girl. The difference of two years for a fourteen year-old boy is indeed too much. Another attraction is to see Winona Ryder, Charles Sheen and others very young in the beginning of career. After almost thirty years, "Lucas" is still a delightful heartbreaking film. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "A Inocência do Primeiro Amor" ("The Innocence of the First Love")

Note: On 10 April 2019 I saw this film again.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story of first HeartBreak
sulemanashiq225 July 2019
21st March 2014 It was the first time, I watched this beautiful story of first heartbreak. The real reason to watch the film was KERRI GREEN. Back in those days, she was my crush. Seen her work in The Goonies, I searched for her filmography and Lucas appeared second on the list. After a lot of browsing struggle, I downloaded and then watched it more closely. I couldn't escape out of the universe created by David Seltzar. Next day, I watched it again with my brother to let him explore the emotions of first love. Over the years, I watched this film countless times with closed observation.

To me, Lucas is a story of first heartbreak, it is a story of challenging your destiny, it is a story of a try-hard and hard until you fail, it is a story of changing perceptions, It is a story of innocence.

The basic foundations of the film plot are the emotions possed by its primary characters. I've never been to High School nor Loved but Lucas is a wormhole that leads back to my School Life, to the age of innocence. It is an accurate depiction of American high school life. Our Cultures and Trends were different unlike American or British High Schools yet I felt the Journey of Lucas Blye. David Seltzar weaved the story magnificently that the viewers got a feeling of trapped in the story.

Back In those days, Corey Haim was a struggling teenage artist but he acted brilliantly. His portrayal was sincere, you really got the sad vibes for Lucas Blye.

Kerri Lee Green as Margaret "Maggie" was the charm of this film. Her character had some beautiful traits of a woman and green presented it onscreen effortlessly. You can't take your eyes from her. The innocence in her eyes, compassion in her voice was class. I must say her shyness was evergreen. Watching her performance still makes me breathless. Seems like, a girl fallen in love with me, may have her traits.

Charlie Sheen was Good as Cappie, I read somewhere that he was the heartthrob of the 1980s and he got himself screwed.

Lucas was the Debut film of Wioanaa Ryder and she excelled, dialogues were limited but eyes were the windows to her acting caliber. The way she looked at Lucas was Breathtaking, the delights of first love. Supporting Cast did a phenomenal job.

The cinematography of the film is wonderful, I must say Lucas is a trapdoor to 1980's life. Reynaldo Villalobos makes this film, a masterpiece. Melodies of Dave Grusin define the time dimension.

Lucas was released on 28 March 1986, after 10 years 31st March 1996 was the day when the story of my life begins so, maybe that's the reason this film makes me nostalgic about time and life.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reverse Sex Appeal
tedg23 June 2010
Here is an ordinary film, ordinary high school stereotypes and adolescent redemption.

But it is worth looking at model of the girls, because it is all about getting the girl.

You have two guys, the head of the football team played by Charlie Sheen, and a wimpy smart smaller and younger kid.

You have three girls. The jock is paired with the blond shapely head cheerleader of course.

Then an appealing, athletic redhead moves to town. She brings a story about her randy father that hints that she could in time not be ass innocent and sweet as she is when we meet her. She befriends the small, genuinely appealing guy, who develops a crush. But in time she dates the jock. Both continue to be principled friends. An event occurs where the kid. Lucas, goes from being bullied to celebrated, and the third girl who has been admiring in the wings is set up to be his real love.

As I said, the cheerleader is tall, buxom and blond. The contested new girl is fair, redheaded, less shapely and average height. The third girl is smaller yet, black haired, not sexy at all.

Now why this is remarkable is because each of these girls is played by an actress who is clearly directed to be as appealing as they can. Almost surely, they each are using traits that are close to their real beings. The blond is the least talented actress and though she has the sexy equipment, and plenty of cheerleading scenes, we are ready to not focus on her.

The redhead is played by Kerri Green, who had a run as a child actress playing the appealing, perky redhead. She made her impressive debut as "the girl" in "The Goonies." She is the center of attention for most of the movie, for us, the writers and the two boys. Things are pleasant enough.

We don't see the third girl until much later in the film. But when she comes on, she shines and so completely overwhelms every other character, you know from the first moment that she will be the real prize. We end up learning nothing at all about her. We just see her face, and hear a few unimportant lines. This was Winona Ryder's film debut, and it really underscores why she rose so fast — and probably suggests why her career stalled when she outgrew what we would accept from this presentation.

This isn't a John Hughes movie where you play with the notion of stereotypes. That's what made the man an interesting filmmaker. It is instead just taking the stereotypes and moving them around like game pieces. But wow, Winona does charm. No wonder Johnny Depp ended up with her name tattooed.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good movie
brucebrod28 January 2018
A very good coming-of-age movie. One thing I can say, and I do have to say this. AT LEAST THEY HAVE ACTORS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY BELONG IN HIGH SCHOOL. Nothing like seeing Lea Thompson, Eric Stoltz, and Mary Stuart Masterson (Some Kind of Wonderful) ready to graduate high school when they look like they're in their 30's! At least in Lucas the actors look and sound like they're in high school. The vulnerabilities, the self-doubts, and unfortunately the bullying, are all present in this movie and done very well. I like the differences in maturity that are shown here too. In too many teen movies, every student looks like their at the exact age of development. Here, Haim and Ryder clearly look less developed than Charlie Sheen!

Now, why only 8 stars? Well, a movie can be poignant and accurate and emotional, but it also has to be interesting! Not that Lucas isn't interesting. It just isn't interesting for 100 minutes. It seemed like the movie struggled to fill time. I got bored a little, but then the movie would pick up.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lucas would never have dropped ball in real life, but a worthy movie
drystyx25 April 2006
Lucas was a very interesting movie, which gave extra dimensions to the young characters and explored their level of maturity. I only gave the movie a 6 because of a few major flaws. First the good points. The characters who were in different stages of physical and emotional maturity. Note how the Sheen character is allowed to grow early. By being a sort who shoots up in physical growth early he capitalizes (Cappy) on the chance to mature as a leader as well, preferring some intellectual friends to the immature teammates who still pick on Lucas. The fun loving offensive lineman character and his middle level of maturity is also interesting. Lucas is a nerd, but tries to expand his horizons. And the casting crew and director made sure to make this a female appeal movie by casting the ugly duckling girls as the glamor girls, and the gorgeous girls as the nerds. The major flaw was Lucas dropping the ball in the end. We've all played different roles in life, and any guy can tell you that in that situation Lucas catches the ball 100 times out of 100. The character of the coach who is well defined as a punk from the beginning is very hard to envision as keeping his job (maybe he didn't.) One weird bit, a woman must have had the most say in the casting, because easily the best looking girl was the one in the band, and I remember being a high school boy. There is no way the boys would be chasing the two plain girls in the movie and ignoring the foxes like that girl in the band. Looks like a female fantasy. All in all, a worthy movie.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above-Average Teen Flick.
tfrizzell4 August 2002
High school freshman Corey Haim (in the titled role) falls in love quickly with the new girl in town (Kerri Green). She is a couple of years older, but that is no big deal. She is a good soul herself, but she only thinks of Haim as a friend and nothing more. It appears that football star Charlie Sheen is the one that Green has her eyes on. Sheen's current girlfriend (Courtney Thorne-Smith) does not care for this development as it is obvious to her what is happening. Band member Winona Ryder likes Haim, but Haim is oblivious to her completely. Haim will do most anything to get Green so he decides to quit band and play football instead, thinking that will be the way to win her heart for good. A good teen film overall that plays more like a soap opera than anything else. Really funny at times, but also highly dramatic as well. All this makes the film uneven to an extent, but the messages it tries to go for make it a competent work anyway. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply Beautiful
Tamothy17 March 2003
Nine Comments & One Question About Lucas:

Comments

1) Excellent acting by a star studded cast.

2) Wicked 80's music throughout the movie.

3) Lucas is a pervert.

4) Corey Haim had SO much promise as an actor.

5) Lucas is a party animal.

6) I love Kerri Green.

7) I cry everytime I watch this movie.

8) Yeah I'd like some Ree-sees Pee-sees.

9) Lucas is a true testament to how great the 80's were.

Question

1) If you're so depressed, how come you're eating pizza?

Rating: 10/10
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film with Lots of DEEP INNER FEELINGS!
whpratt119 August 2004
Greatly enjoyed this film which delves into the personal lives of a young geek looking guy named Corey Haim(Lucas),"Busted",'96, who pretends to be an entirely different person and falls deeply in love with Kerri Green (Maggie),"Three for the Road" and is the new girl in town who happens to run into Lucas on a tennis court. Charlie Sheen,(Cappie), "No Code of Conduct",'98, is a close friend to Lucas and tries to protect him from all the BULLIES who love to pester him on a daily basis. Courtney Thorne Smith, (Alise),"Side Out",'90, is Cappie's girlfriend who is very attractive and becomes jealous of Maggie. Winona Ryder(Rina),"Lost Souls",2000, is very pretty and is very much in love with Lucas, but he just does not seem to feel the same way towards her. There is lots of comedy and dramatic scenes and fantastic acting which tells a cute story and has some very deep feelings which teenagers encounter in real life!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best teen films out there
PandoraProductions424 August 2014
This film is for the underdog in all of us.

It's about a kid named Lucas, who's very unpopular at school, despite being outgoing. He is teased and bullied by most the kids, because of his small size.

What I really like about this film is how it explores the themes of innocence. In a time when most teen films focus on sex or drugs, this one speaks more about simple emotions: love and happiness. It shows the connection to nature that one so often loses as one grows up.

It also focuses on the need to be accepted: Lucas tries out for the football team, even though all the other players are twice his size.

A triumph in this film is how it dodges all the stereotypes and plays around with clichés. Lucas is not your standard nerd. His best friend, Maggie shows incredible depth for a cheerleader. The jock of the story, Cappie, is shown to be actually a very sensitive guy. Even the climax of the film nimbly dodges what could have been a cardboard cut-out finale.

The music by Dave Grusin is almost all electronic, yet it somehow hits a deep emotional note throughout the film, especially the later part..

The ending is one of complete jubilation.

I have seen Lucas three times, and the last scene always brings me to tears.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SPOILERS ... A good movie but couldn't get into it
fartzy23 December 2011
***SPOILERS***I am split about this movie. On one hand, the acting and the dialogue was very good. There are a few scenes that I will always remember, like when Lucas saw Maggie for the first time playing tennis or when he got onto the stage, was embarrassed but still had a good time making fun of the coach.

On the other hand, I couldn't believe how much people acted like football was instant suicide for Lucas. I couldn't get past how ridiculous it was. (Of course no one ever started trying out a week before the first game of the season either). But people seemed to act like this kid was a paper bag and football was played with Lions and not people.

I went to a high school that was somewhat football centric (In Illinois like the movie) unlike some high school in Texas or Pennsylvania maybe, and there were a couple smaller kids on the football team. If they weren't good, then they just didn't play much. Anyway, the only reason the kid got hurt was because he took his helmet off, which would have resulted in a penalty in real life. (That whole game was ridiculously unrealistic). I feel the unrealistic game, and the attitudes about football are so hard to believe that it takes away from the great heartfelt stories of the film.

The great thing about the film is how atypical it treated the "top jock" and the girl Maggie. They were both really nice kids. The movie made all three characters, Lucas, Maggie, Cappie very whole people and not just clichés. Someone had obviously put a great deal of thought into these characters. The movie doesn't force anything and we are left to make up our minds about the characters based on something more personal to us. I tried to think of the football in the movie as just equivalent to superficiality in general in our society. Personally, I think the movie could have been a lot better if it had handled it differently somehow. The attitudes from all the adults in the movie, the school administrator, the coach, about the kid wanting to play football being crazy, just seemed too ridiculous to me.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A troubling movie in the teen genre
cmp4x2 November 2018
A troubling movie in the teen genre that only "half" gets it, so I'm only giving it half the stars out if 10.

This lesser known entry in the brat pack oeuvre has early career performances from Winona Ryder, Charlie Sheen, and Jeremy Piven, among others. It tells the story of a sincerely likable dork, who falls in love with a class beauty. While she initially accepts him and shares in his bug collecting hobby over summer vacation, once school resumes in the fall she develops feeling for a football jock instead.

The film is unflinching in showing the anguish of the dorky kid as he comes to realize he just isn't (and never can be) attractive to this girl in the way the jock is. He even discusses this in hard terms as "natural selection." This hard fact is tragic, yet probably true: the film stresses the tragedy of falling in love with an unobtainable object and his having to realize that the fact he can't impress her is something to do with aspects of himself that he cannot and never will change.

About halfway through the film, I could not believe how honestly this difficulty was presented, with the main character considering suicide because he realizes that he doesn't have "what it takes" to be a football jock - physically diminutive and uncoordinated, he can't overcome these things. Even the adults in his world sanction the view of him as an outcast, and his home (in a trailer with an alcoholic father) offers no respite. At the halfway point it seemed like this could be a classic of cinema verité.

However, at this point ideology steps in. Rather than honestly dealing with this situation that could have pushed some kids over the brink to suicide or Columbine-type violence, the film takes a big turn into fantasy and avoids the searing critique it could have been. Via this fantasy, the boy "commits suicide" by instead joining the football team, and even after flubbing the game is awarded a letter jacket by his former jock tormentors (and gets the nerdy girl who was meant for him all along - Winona Ryder in her first screen appearance). Thus, supposedly accepting "his place" as the pet dork of these jocks and settling for a nerdy girlfriend is supposed to make him content. It's hard to believe that the boy, who has been presented as highly intelligent, would be satisfied with such superficial palliatives.

Clearly Hollywood could not face the ideological strife this film prompts at the halfway mark. Instead Hollywood applied the standard "solution" of all teen films: "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." The strategy in all films about teen misfits is to convert the oddball back into something more normative and "acceptable" to dominant ideology - turn the nerd into some form of jock, or at least something acceptable to jocks.

Here, Lucas is defused by making him an "honorary jock" even though he didn't deserve it, as if somehow that gesture wipes away the pain and real difference that he experiences. It's as bad as the old sit-com "Saved By the Bell" in the end, which always performed the same recuperative move to make sure the dorks got reassigned to their "place" in the jock-dominated order by letting them be the jocks' token friends.

This film missed a big opportunity to be a powerful ideological exposé and instead became simply a vehicle for ideology.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest teen film of all time
piecaptain5 November 2005
Hollywood never targets movies at teens, but in this brief time , there was hope that they may start. Anyone in middle school who has seen this film and can't relate to it is lying. The performances, masterful, the plot, fresh, the ending redeeming, it is one of the best films period. True, the 80's brought some cancers to cinema (Road House)but this is a glimmer of truth that shows that not all filmmakers were on drugs. If this film had grossed millions there would be more like it and that makes me sad; however, maybe it's for the best for now we can look at this gem as the greatest teen movie that has ever be made. So bravo, for lucas and for all cinema.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You have to be in a concussion if you think Lucas is a good movie. This coming of age movie is depressing, as hell. Lucas is the poor man, Rudy.
ironhorse_iv3 February 2016
This movie had its fans, particularly those whom who like; its honest portrayal of the highs and lows of adolescent, it's not so stereotypical 1980's teen characters and the theme of the little guy trying to become somebody within his society, but for me, I found this movie to be, somewhat unwatchable. I'm not a fan of this movie at all. I give the movie, some credit, the movie does have a terrific young cast. Both the main actor, Corey Haim and the female lead, Kerri Green were amazing and very attractive in their role. Supporting actors like Charlie Sheen and Winona Ryder weren't that bad, as well. However, this movie wasn't that inspirational to me. The reason, why I'm say this movie is a poor man, Rudy is because, unlike the 1993 movie, which had a very inspiring main character, wanting to join the football team in order, to better himself and his family, by getting a college education. This coming of age movie about a socially inept boy, Lucas Blye (Corey Haim) trying to join the high school football team, only, because he was suicidal by heartbreak. By heartbreak, I meant, that the local girl, he has a crush on, Maggie (Kerri Green) doesn't want to date him. You can see the problem of the story, right here. He isn't doing this, because he has love of the sport, he just doing this, in order to change her mind of him. It's in the same mindset levels of a man like John Hinckley Jr shooting the President in order to impress Jodi Foster. It's disturbing. It felt a little more self-centered and selfish, than inspiring. I hate the fact, that this movie was market as a sport movie, because it isn't all about his dreams of being a football player at all. The football plot, only plays a part, toward the end. The movie is more about learning to deal with first love and teen angst. Don't get me wrong, I love 1980s coming to age stories that deals with this. After all, 1985's Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies of all time, but this movie directed by David Seltzer, really anger me, in saying it's a sport movie, when it's barely is. The reason why Rudy works, and this film doesn't, is because Rudy's not only fighting to get into the team, but also driven to help others, reach their goals. They is a reason to root for him. Not only does Lucas barely show, any interest in the sport, but he rarely treat his friends any better. Ignoring them, isn't going to help you. The movie really tries to make him, into a hero with the idea of him, being a victim of bullying, but when you think about it, the school wasn't really that mean to him. Most kids in his school, honestly somewhat accept him. It's only a few guys that really doesn't like him! Honestly, how many nerdy teens in the 1980s, do you know, are able to hang out with the captain of the football team, while, also being cool with one of hottest girls, in school? Not that many. So, I don't buy the whole, stand up against natural selection, BS, this movie is, saying, because of the fact that there are girls that secretly love Lucas. Yes, I get that, his best friends—somewhat betrayed him, when his older-brother figure, Chappie Roew (Charlie Sheen) and his crush, fall for each other. However, as upsetting, it is, to him and for me to see those two hook up. I still can't feel too much pity for Lucas. I feel worst for Chappie ex, Alise, (Country Thorne Smith), because she end up with nobody in the end. The reasons why, I couldn't felt pity for Lucas, is because he still good friends like Reda (Winona Ryder). It's very stupid to see him, always overlooking her sexual advances throughout the film. You have to be really crazy, not to want to date a girl like her. I would love to see a scene where Lucas finally admit, that he mistreated Reda, so badly, and ask her to forgive him. You know, like address the love, he has for her. It would had, made a better ending than the misguided slow clap for Lucas after getting himself, nearly kill and quitting football. Honestly, what the hell!? How is getting a football jacket, supposed to solve anything!? He still lives, poor with his alcoholic father. He's now suffers from a severe concussion and most, likely not going to finish school. Also the fact, that the movie never resolve that conflict with Reda, nor does look for a solution to the love triangle between Chappie, Maggie and him. What a horrible ending! I hate how the movie ends so abruptly with him, getting a varsity jacket. Anyways, take off your nostalgia glasses, people! That wasn't the only problem with this movie. The whole symbolism with the locust was also a bit off in its message in morphology. I get the movie wants to use it, as a metaphor for growing up, but if the filmmakers read any science book, they would know that having locusts around, isn't a good thing like having butterflies. They're a serious economic threat to agriculture. If anything, the sign of locusts returning, is bad news than good. Overall: Besides the good acting, the wonderful music by Dave Grusin, this movie isn't a film, I will rewatch, anytime, soon. If you want to check it out, go ahead. You might like it, but for me. I'm staying far away from this film. It upset me, too much.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow, generally boring, with an irritating lead
amazme322 July 2001
This movie had its strengths, particularly the likeable characters and the theme of the little guy against the rest of society, but the lead actor playing Lucas, Corey Haim, was not easy to relate to. He is a smart small guy in high school, but he is eccentric enough to be irritating and it is difficult for me to find any sympathy for him. His attempts to become the romantic interest of Maggie, played by Keri Green, are understandably unsuccessful. It was also comical to see him try to try out for the football team. The plot of this film progresses slowly, and the reasons I watched the film to the end were some of the likeable characters/actors as they appeared in 1986: Charlie Sheen, Courteney Thorne-Smith, Wynona Ryder. I disagree with most of the reviews I read, giving this film a 5/10 (being generous).
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Hidden Gem...
cubdukat8 June 2006
I remember when this movie came out in '86. I wanted to see it mainly because it was shot fairly near where I used to live in Chicago. I ended up wandering into this after seeing another movie (Pretty in Pink, I think), and was pleasantly surprised.

I really think that "Lucas" could have been much more popular than it ended up being if Fox had decided to concentrate its ad campaign less on the Kerri Green/Charlie Sheen love story and more on Lucas himself. The only commercial that I ever saw that had Lucas in it was the clip where he and Maggie are sitting underneath Ravinia listening to the concert.

The other reason that it didn't do quite as well was that it was different from the teen comedies of the day, which you could more or less split into two groups--John Hughes movies and "naked horny teen" movies. "Lucas" was far too intelligent to be a naked horny teen movie, but not quite funny enough to be in the same league as a John Hughes movie. I always thought that the movie veered unnecessarily into melodrama after Lucas got sacked, and you found out that his dad was an alcoholic--especially considering that the plot point was never used again and didn't seem to change things.

So many good actors came out of this movie (Winona Ryder, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Charlie Sheen--even Corey Haim), and it works on so many different levels. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a warm, relatively inoffensive coming-of-age movie. Just fast-forward through the shower scene where Lucas thoroughly takes out one of his tormentors. True, he gets some Liquid Heat in a very not-cool place, but it's still worth it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.