The Karate Kid Part II (1986) Poster

Kumiko and Daniel
cwbellor22 August 2007
As a huge fan of the Karate Kid trilogy, you'll have to excuse me while I give my first sentimental statement ever on IMDb. I believe in my heart that in that parallel universe where our favorite characters from film still live, that Kumiko and Daniel would be together today. Either Daniel would have gone to Okinawa to be with Kumiko or Kumiko would have come to the States to be with Daniel. Of course, we learn in Karate Kid Part III that Kumiko decided not to go with Daniel back to California. But in my mind, this is insignificant and has no negative implication for their future. Sure, they both would have had relationships with other people. But having been through what they experienced together, they would not soon forget the bond between them. You wouldn't forget someone that saved your life? Compared to Ali from Part I and Jessica from Part III, it is more than apparent that Kumiko was the love of Daniel's life. Whether it be two years or ten years after the end of Part III, Kumiko and Daniel would have eventually reconnected and continued to live their lives together. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crush a beer can on my forehead to reconnect with my masculine side.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful childhood memories
mjessic216 June 2003
I can't tell you how good it made me feel to recapture the joy I first experienced in the theater. I was 12 years old when this came out. The story and plot are simple, and the lessons are very clear. They definitely don't make films like this nowadays. Memories of me sitting in the theater alongside my grandmother, eating loads of buttery popcorn, and telling her about all the good scenes (she couldn't see well)

I have seen this movie over 200 times, and never get tired of it. I recommend viewing both The Karate Kid, and the sequel to at least get the full effect.

Awesome 80's flick, and one I'm proud to own. Five stars.
39 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story continues…
Old Joe6 February 2003
Two years after the success of the smash hit ‘Karate Kid', it was inevitable that the forces behind this most entertaining movie were going to go on and continue the story. In ‘KK2' we get to learn a lot more about the life of Mr. Miyagi and the development of his student, ‘Daniel-san'. We once again get to see that fighting is only the last resort to your problems. There's plenty of adventure and conflict as our triumphant duo discovers more about the price of honour, the way one must fight when only the winner survives and the true power of friendship.

After their triumphant victory at the ‘All-Valley karate championships', Daniel and Miyagi continue their training, focusing on the honour and discipline of karate and the deeper powers of meditation. However, when Miyagi receives news that his father is near death, he and Daniel take off to the island of Okinawa where Miyagi's family lives. Upon Miyagi's return to his homeland, he is reunited with his long-lost childhood love, Yukie. Despite their youthful love for one another, Yukie was forced to marry Miyagi's rival, Sato, in an arranged marriage, causing Miyagi to flee Okinawa forever. Now his old rival is a powerful karate expert and a rich, embittered landowner who demands a final grudge match with the wise and elderly Miyagi. As Sato threatens Miyagi and his family, his nephew, Chozen, is out to fight Daniel in a battle of young wills. Both teacher and student are forced to stand up to their rivals in a matter of honour or shame and life or death.

What I like about KK2, is how the story allows us to learn more about characters that we grew to love in the 1984 movie. Sure the movie continues where the last finished off, not like your normal sequel does. Yet it does show us a different side to what we saw in the original movie. I feel that is what a sequel is meant to do, be a little bit different and allows us to learn new things about characters that we already know. The story was once again written by Robert Mark Kamen, who I thought wrote the part about Miyagi's problems back home beautifully, as is the way that we see Daniel assimilate to the customs and traditions of the Okinawa people, and the way that Miyagi's problems in the end are Daniel's as well. I feel it always helps to have the same director back for any sequel, with John G. Avildson back to bring his touches into the story as well.

The great part of KK2 has to be the return of Daniel (Ralph Macchio) and Mr. Miyagi (Noriyuki ‘Pat‘ Morita). The start of film has a most powerful scene between Miyagi and sensei Kreese (Martin Kove), where Miyagi teaches Kreese a karate lesson without even raising a sweat. The popular pairs return gives the story strength to continue on as it did. They also share quite a remarkable chemistry onscreen. It also good for the story to have Daniel ‘fatherless', as he helps his teacher come to terms with the loss of his father, in one of the more emotional scenes in the movie. I must admit I like how Miyagi has faith in Daniel, even when he does not, (there is one scene where this reigns so true in KK2, and is probably the highlight of the entire film).

However, Ralph shares a very special role with Kumiko (Tamlyn Tomita), as their characters fall very much in love with each other. Kumiko wants to be a dancer, and Daniel feels that she would be a successful dancer in America. Then there is the evil side to KK2. Sato, (Danny Kamekona), is still bitter about what Miyagi did to his honour before he fled Okinawa and wants a fight so he can reclaim what he believes is rightfully his. Sato's nephew Chozen (Yuji Okumoto) also has feels his honour has been shamed by Daniel, with most of the movie showing Daniel on the receiving on end of Chozen's fist. Yuji has appeared in movies such as ‘The Truman show', ‘The Game' and the 2001 blockbuster ‘Pearl Harbour'.

Karate Kid II also shows off some impressive Japanese locations. The Okinawa village used as Miyagi's was striking, as were the style of the homes, as a person from western society would not be accustomed to such a different lifestyle. There is also the wonderful music that accompanies KK2. Bill Conti's melodic musical score gives the movie great tension, and you have the music from the dancing hall which was live and upbeat. Yet the standout part of the soundtrack for mine has to be the Oscar winning hit, ‘Glory of Love', sung by Peter Cetera. That is one song I like a lot.

This movie is a great extension of the ‘Karate Kid' story, which shows an uplifting story about overcoming the odds and staying true to yourself. Miyagi's strong ‘anti-violence' theme continues in KK2, showing Daniel that the secrets of karate are that it is only to be used it when there is no other way. This movie is also very much about forgiveness, as Miyagi says at the start of the film ‘A person with no forgiveness in heart, living worse punishment than death'. I could not agree more with that statement. Miyagi is the standout character in KK2, as he is always calm and rational, in situations in which most of us would not be, with his character going through a range of emotions that give us a much greater insight into him. If you are a Karate Kid fan than you have to watch what is a most satisfying of sequels.

CMRS gives ‘Karate Kid II': 4 (Very Good Film)
33 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lessons in life not a brainless kick-ass movie
redpenphantom13 September 2008
I am sorry to disagree with the comments of "drlawyer" since it only reflects the urge to see fight scenes. Karate kid 2 is a perfect sequel and shows the spiritual side of martial arts. Why measure a sequel with the 1st movie at all? Both, (Karate kid1 and Karate kid2) are unique and have complete story lines. Even for those who only saw the second movie, there is no gap due to the main flashbacks presented in the beginning of it. The acting is excellent and has no need for quick chopped up editing like now-a-days movies do. The grief and emotions connect with the viewer. I saw both movies about 20 times and could see them 20 times again.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as the first
Darkmonarch20033 October 2004
Rarely does a sequel live up to the original. This movie is one of my personal favorites. It has taught me many lessons that I still hold dear. They don't make them like this anymore.

I enjoyed the fight scenes. They were handled well. It was an interesting plot to see Mr. Myagi go back to face his old friend. A story of love and friendship that turned to bitter hate over that love. And of how true friendship and true love never really die, as Mr. Myagi saves Sato, even as Sato is cursing him with every filthy insult he can think of ( it's a PG movie, though, so instead of the profane and filth, you hear things like " lower than a snake's belly " and " no honor " instead of the more colorful words we hear in movies these days. )

I loved Mr. Myagi's response to what Daniel asked in the airport. Daniel sees a poster of a karate guy breaking a board and asks if Mr. Myagi can do that. Myagi's response? " Don't know. Never been attacked by tree. "

Live or die, man??? DIE! Wrong!! ( Honk!!! )

Priceless and timeless...
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They should have ended the Kid chronicles with this one
Thornfield27 June 2001
The Karate Kid part II should have been the end of the Karate Kid Story. It was an excellent film and the story was a perfect conclusion to the Daniel/Myagi friendship. The heroine Kumiko was perfect for Daniel and in my imagination he stays with her and Myagi stays with his love from childhood and then both of them bring their ladies to the states. KK III was awful and the Next Karate Kid was just idiotic. These lame sequels don't come close to this installment which should have been the last or at least, if a third installment was going to be done, it could of had the couples form the KKII and their new lives back in the states. I love Karate Kid stories and in my imagination the story ends with this wonderful sequel
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dark, sentimental, and captivating sequel to a great sports film
I loved the first Karate Kid. Despite it's predictable script, it told an original sports story with great characters, an excellent cast, some emotional moments, great music, and not to mention some great karate fighting scenes.

Now, when the director of Rocky made a sequel two years later, I became shocked and rented a DVD copy of the film (just like the first) and watched it to see if it can catch my very interest. Then, after watching the whole thing, I was saying to myself, "Wow. That was one heck of a great sequel!".

Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita did a great job once again as the karate student and the Sensei master and the chemistry between them are as fresh as the first film. The rest of the cast did a great job as well with Chozen, who was by far the greatest villain in the franchise because he threatens to kill Daniel by any means necessary. The story in this sequel is also great, but it's even darker and sentimental (there's a scene where we learn that Daniel explains about his father's death which makes us feel sorry for him, thus adding a decent emotional core to the script despite it's schmaltzy moments, but I'll get to that in a moment) than the first with great music and fantastic karate fighting scenes.

The pacing was great in the first film. In this sequel, however, it showed the ending from the first and started out well, but it gets a bit slower. Also, the script has some schmaltzy moments, but at least the romance between Daniel and Kumiko were enjoyable though.

Overall, this sequel is as good as the first despite it's own problems and I'm shocked at the rating it received on this website because it's even worth watching as the first film. Go watch it! It's that good!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pretty good sequel
RoseNylan21 May 2009
This film is the sequel to the huge 1984 hit, "The Karate Kid". The film starts almost exactly where the first film abruptly ended, with Daniel(played by Ralph Macchio) winning the karate championship under the coaching of Mr. Miyagi(played by Pat Morita). Mr. Miyagi soon learns that his father is dying back in Japan and he goes there to see him one last time and Daniel decides to come along. Miyagi and Daniel run into an old nemesis of Miyagi and Daniel is repeatedly tormented by the nemesis' nephew. Daniel also finds a new love in the daughter of Mr. Miyagi's old lover.

This is a generally simple film with a fine backdrop of the streets of Okinawa. Those who enjoyed the original "Karate Kid" should generally enjoy this predictable, but entertaining sequel. Another plus in the film is the playing of Peter Cetera's song "Glory of Love" in a cute scene involving Daniel and his new love and also in the end credits of the film. It is worth watching.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This time the likable and intimate friends , Daniel and Miyagi , traveling to island of Okinawa
ma-cortes30 June 2008
The film starts where the first picture finished with the famous karate combat , proceeded by means of flashbacks . There John Kreese (Martin Kove) receives a strong lesson . Later on , teenage Daniel (Ralph Macchio) along with Miyagi (Noriyuki, Pat Morita) travel to Okinawa , but his father is dying . There Miyagi confronts an old enemy . Meanwhile , Daniel falls in love for Kamiko (film debut of Talyn Tomita who was actually born in Okinawa , this film's setting) and also gets enemies.

This enjoyable following displays action , a love story , Japanese dances , fights and results to be pretty entertaining . This shooting on Karate Kid II, (1986) started ten days after the release of The Karate Kid (1984) and actually earned more at the box office than The Karate Kid I . Although set in Okinawa , the film was actually shot in Oahu , Hawaii . The island was chosen because of its similar climate to Japan, its large Okinawan population and the convenience of filming on US soil . Again the movie develops a feeling and agreeable friendship between Daniel and professor Miyagi . Attractive and perceptible performances from Macchio , Morita and Tamlyn Tomita's film debut. Besides , it appears as very secondaries and uncredited , future TV stars , as B.D. Wong (Law and order) and Clarence Gilyard (Walker Texas Ranger).

Colorful cinematography by James Crabe and powerful musical score by Bill Conti , usual of trilogy . The motion picture was professionally directed by John G Avildsen (also editor) . Avildsen has blended more Karate Kid and Rocky movies with such feel-good message stories , such as 'Power on one' and 'Lean on me' . It's followed by other sequels, 'Karate kid III' (1989) where Daniel again fighting his usual contenders ; and 'The next Karate Kid' (1994) directed by Christopher Cain , introducing a new Karate kid , girl , the two times Oscarized Hilary Swank . Rating : Good, the tale will appeal to trilogy buffs and beloved characters fans.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'd be surprised ...
Spleen12 July 1999
One would have thought that no movie with a title like "The Karate Kid Part II" could possibly be any good. One would have good reason to think this. One would be wrong.

This is a loser-gets-the-girl 1980s teen movie. It is the best of its kind. Even the original, I think, wasn't bad, although it's starting to show its age; the third movie was pure drivel; but this one bears repeated watching very well indeed, and I would recommend it even to people who despise, or think that they despise, the genre it belongs to. Why is it so good? I have no idea. Pure luck, I suppose. Changing the setting to Japan certainly helped. Most teen movies are earthbound by their attempts to be hip and modern and can be dated to within a year. This one was allowed to be timeless.

I admit that "The Karate Kid Part II" will never be *regarded* as a classic, partly because so many people think that a movie with that kind of title cannot possibly be any good. And they have good reason to think this. But they're wrong.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly well-made sequel
MikeK-72 January 2003
Daniel Larusso is back this time in Okinawa, Japan to visit Mr. Miyagi's home village, but upon arrival they discover it's being overrun by his old nemesis and his construction company. The climatic fight scene in the vintage karate ring was about as good as a sequel can get and wasn't relying on the first film for material. If you liked the first "KARATE KID", this one is almost as good, but please; do not see the 3rd sequel, it is Macchio's worst film ever.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good lesson in the art of filmmaking. 10/10
francisco5331 July 2012
With all the hype from the first one, expectations were high for "The Karate Kid Part II" but in the end the movie passed the test. It is very well written and the theme structure is perfect, giving the audience not only the ingredients from the first one but some new interesting additions as well, specially regarding Mr. Miyagi's past. The cinematography is beautiful with lavishing landscapes, vibrant colors and splendid frameworks. All of this accompanied by Bill Conti's beautiful music.

Watching it is like having a good lesson in the art of filmmaking. This movie shows how to tell a story, how to develop characters and their motivations, how to compose a scene (just pause at anytime and you'll see a painting).

The actors are really convincing and there's a lot of chemistry between them but that has already been established in the first one.

All in all, a wonderful movie and a sequel that stands as good as the first.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't normally write reviews
sanctumlcie22 April 2017
Its not like me to write a review but for this absolute classic I thought it would be necessary. For a long time this was my least favourite of the 3 films starring Daniel and Miyagi, but for quite some time it has been not just my favourite of the trilogy but my favourite film of all time, I love the setting, the story, the character development and especially to two main antagonists, Sato and Chozen. I believe you will find the trilogy much more enjoyable if you watch them in the order 1,3,2 rather than 1,2,3 as this film gives such a bigger send off than the third one ever did, the stakes are much higher in this one and the lessons learned are much more meaningful. I'm glad that I gave this one a chance because I didn't realise what I was missing, the soundtrack is something to behold. It's simply stunning, especially during Miyagis fathers funeral and Kumikos ritual dance at the end. Such a beautiful movie that should be watched by people of all ages. A story of redemption, love, forgiveness and empathy, a true classic. 10/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost somewhere in all the criticism is a beautiful film.
Jason9153 January 2013
I was a bit shocked when i saw how low this movie was rated. I think it is important that one does not compare it to the original. This is a movie about friendship, loyalty, life, and love.

The film is beautifully shot with a great soundtrack. If you feel like picking it apart, you can find flaws in the writing. If anything it was a victim of the success of the first movie.

If you have ever fallen in love, this movie will touch you. if you are looking for action, gory fight scenes..the title may lead you astray. This movie is about so much more than Karate.

A wonderful movie for both kids and parents. Make some popcorn sit back and enjoy the film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the original, but a good film nonetheless
drlawyer21 April 2002
Sequels are often measured against the originals, but as it is well known, fail to measure up (the notable exception being "Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back - the exception that proves the rule). Too often, the sequel lacks the "newness" of the original - the characters are often completely developed, the underdog has already triumphed. In other words, the story has already been completed.

In this second installment, we see how, to some degree, to overcome that. Of course, the challenge has to be taken up a notch (a fight to the death? Yeah, that's a little better than a tournament) and we usually delve deeper into the characters. Seeing Mr. Miagui cope with demons from his past helps to better completely define his character; Machio's Daniel Laruso is sadly left second stage, as all he seems to learn is that his famous "stork-kick" obviously hasn't been perfected after all.

Personally, I feel as though KKI and KKII told both halves of the story nicely, and could have done without installments three and four. However, KKII fills the void nicely for those who saw, and loved, The Karate Kid and wanted nothing more than to see that pseudo-nazi military sensei get humiliated.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of the 3 - Maybe some spoilers
tagkeyon23 December 2009
I really think this is the best movie of all three. Most of my friends who went to see the movie didn't like it or thought it was too weird. KK2 presents to us a darker, more gritty Karate Kid story in which the primary focus is not really Daniel but Miyagi. The scenery, although not really Okinawan(Hawaii)is compelling as are the characters. Chosen comes off as a bit more threatening than Johnny in the first installment and the interaction between Miyagi and Daniel does not disappoint. My only gripe is WHY ON EARTH DOES THE LOVE STORY BETWEEN DANIEL AND KUMIKO NOT EXTEND TO THE THIRD MOVIE??!!!!!!! Of course this fact does not really have as much to do with the second movie as the third I really considered it a letdown that she didn't appear in part 3 and the gal that was there was primarily filler and added nothing to the plot or character development. By the time the 3rd movie was released I began to have serious thoughts that Daniel might in fact be gay. Anyway for me the Daniel/Kumiko relationship was what made the second film. Also the love theme "Glory of Love" sung by Peter Cetera (Formerly of Chicago) was electric against the backdrop of the evolving love story between Kumiko and Daniel. Elizabeth Shue was realistic but not compelling and really there wasn't much energy between her and Machio in the first. The fight scene between Daniel and Chosen at the end was pretty brutal. This is one movie I can never watch enough and reminds me of that special time in my youth when it seemed that anything was possible.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good sequel to a classic film
DunnDeeDaGreat11 March 2003
The Karate Kid Part II is a worthy sequel to a classic film. The Karate Kid films to me were never really great martial arts film just films with decent martial arts sequences there were more of films based around friendship and finding self conidfeance. The realtionship between Myigai and Daniel is played very well the chemistry here is somewhat deeper than the first film. All in all a worthy sequel.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All About Miyagi
zkonedog11 March 2017
In the first Karate Kid movie, the plot focuses on young Daniel and his quest (through Mr. Miyagi) to show the school bullies that he can indeed defend himself. In this sequel, the subject matter gets a littler darker with the journey into Mr. Miyagi's past.

For a basic plot summary, "Karate Kid II" sees Miyagi (Pat Morita) getting called back to his Okinawa hometown to attend to his sick and dying father. With Daniel (Ralph Macchio) in tow, Mr. Miyagi must deal with an old foe he thought was left in the past, while Daniel falls for a local girl and gets in his own hot water.

What allows this film to continue the legacy of the original is the veering away from just copying that one, while also staying true to the series' emotional core. Miyagi and Daniel still have that great mentor/student relationship, and that bond is only strengthened by their tribulations in Okinawa. This time, the situation is real...no tournaments, no points, and all the main characters are tested accordingly.

Also helping this film's cause is a sense of production stability. John G. Avildsen continues at the helm, while the quality score (by Bill Conti) adds a level of emotion beyond the characters.

Thus, if you enjoyed the original Karate Kid, fear not...you'll like this one too! Great action, great characters, great music, and an engaging, emotional plot that will make you care.
Highly Entertaining But Not As Good As The First One
Desertman8428 October 2011
The Karate Kid Part II is the sequel to the 1984 surprise hit The Karate Kid.It reunites Ralph Macchio and Noriyuki "Pat" Morita reprise their roles as Daniel LaRusso and Mr. Miyagi, respectively.The movie was written by Robert Mark Kamen and directed by John Avildsen,who also wrote the screenplay and directed the first film.

The story picks up where the first film left off.It finds Danny and Miyagi making an emergency trip to Okinawa, where Miyagi's father is dying. Here they revisit Miyagi's childhood sweetheart, whom he believes, had been wheedled into an arranged marriage with loose-cannon karate expert Sato. Little does Miyagi realize that the woman is still single; Sato is still around as well, however, and intent on resuming the fight with his old nemesis. Morita agrees; meanwhile, Danny is challenged by Kamekona's pugnacious nephew.

The sequel remains highly entertaining but it pales in comparison with the first film.The plot was somewhat artificial,extremely predictable and highly manipulative especially with that of Miyagi's love story. Aside from that,the absence of Elisabeth Shue did hurt this film.But nevertheless,it remains watchable despite of not being magical like the first film. In addition to that, it did help that the movie has a hit song entitled,""Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera,which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.

Overall,the sequel remains highly entertaining despite of not being good as the first film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This not tournament. This for real!
deltahotel31 May 2008
It is time to review this fine 80's film, but I must do so discussing a few elements from both the preceding film, The Karate Kid, and the subsequent film, Karate Kid Part III. Only by doing so can my review make sense.

Let's get the basic's down first. This film, along with the previous film, are two of the greatest 80s films ever made, along with The Breakfast Club and Back to the Future. It's also full of great 80's music, most notably the fine tunage provided to us by Chicago.

The film opens with characters already fully developed. These characters we got to know well in the previous film, so we were able to dive right into the story without having to endure development of unknown protagonists. The only new people we are introduced to are the ones we meet upon arriving in Okinawa. The character development there is very well done, and we meet both some protagonists and some nasty villains as well. Of course, one of the villains sees the light and realizes the error of his ways before we get to see a glorious fight between him and Miyagi, which would have been awesome. I kind of wish we could have seen such a battle. But we did get to see a great fight between Daniel and Chozen, a cold hearted punk with nothing but personal honor on his mind, even though he was a cheat and a coward.

I really like Kumiko, the girl that Daniel fell in love with. I liked Ali in the first film, but not as much. Since in the beginning of this movie we are told that his relationship with Ali collapsed, we are left looking for Daniel's new love interest in the plot, and we find it in this gorgeous beauty from Okinawa. It takes a really long time to get the romance going but it was well done once it started....Chicago provided nice music for this. The tea ceremony scene was great for me, because at the end of it, Kumiko took the chopsticks out of her hair, which was up for the entire film, and the straight black Asian hair was allowed to flow all the way down her back. We are then interrupted by a typhoon, which provides the backdrop for Sato's transformation from evil to good, and Chozen's descent into shame and cowardice.

To skip ahead into Karate Kid Part III, we learn that Kumiko does not return to the States with Daniel, and he is left womanless once again. He meets Jessica, but she is not worthy of discussion as they do not progress beyond "friendship." The question remains.....if Daniel and Kumiko were so in love, and if her dream to become a dancer was so strong, why did she not stay with Daniel? He fought to the death for her! He put his life on the line in a death match with Chozen. As much as I love that character, I think she needs to have some sense slapped into her. In my mind, that is a serious, foolish mistake, but we are not exposed to this error until Karate Kid Part III, since Part II ends as soon as the fight is over.

Overall, great film. I give it an 8, which I reserve for films that I can easily watch over and over again without getting tired of them. I highly recommend it, as well as Part I and Part III, which I have elected not to review at this time. The title of this review is the best line in the film.

See my profile for my rating philosophy.
The best Kid movie!
wuboy51124 May 1999
This is by far the best of the Karate Kid movie's, sure, the special technique at the end of the film is a generic swinging of the arms thing, but it looked so cool! Set in Okinawa and everything!!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very sentimental for me
peaceandcalm20 March 2010
I was only 4 years old when this movie was released. As I watched it growing up in the following years, I fell in love with that Japanese village. The rain and the wind. The greenery. I'm now almost 28 years old and I still love rainy weather or any inclement weather for that matter. Having said that, I believe this sequel follows up the first movie very well. Going to Japan and discovering who Myagi is and what his whole story is. The fact that Daniel falls for the first Japanese girl he meets is kind of stupid to me, a one in a million thing that works for the storyline. The final fight wasn't as climactic as the first. However, it is a fight to the death which made it more suspenseful. Overall, it follows the basic principle of the first film...karate is only meant for defense.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GOOD SEQUEL
perry-154 May 1999
I have to say this movie is very good, not like the original but very good job in acting and the fight sequence. The part with Daniel and Miyagi after the funeral is very emotional. Movie ranking= B+
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goof?
marta-bielewicz8 November 2018
In 1st part of The Karate Kid, Mr Miyagi is mouning the loss of his wife and a son in childbirth. In second part there is nothing about his wife, as if she never existed, and instead we're learning that he was in love with a girl who was engaged to another..
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Miyagi Sensei, you will like this movie!
amarjunchu10 June 2018
That Mr Miyagi guy is really something. He is my fav character and this one is about him and his awesomeness. And just for that this is a worthy follow up to the first one. You get to know about Miyagi's Past and you also get a nice continuation of the story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.