Mr. Vampire II (1986) Poster

Very different from the original
niz16 January 2001
The original MR VAMPIRE was a ground-breaking all time classic. The sequel doesn't try to match it, and has next to nothing in common with it, other than the appearance of hopping vampires. This is a wise move, because the original was simply perfection. MR VAMPIRE 2 is entertaining but not in the same league as its predecessor.

There are some jokes that are just not funny (the formaldehyde fight scene) and some annoying sub-plots (the "cute" vampire kid), but in the end these can't detract from the fact that this is insane Hong-Kong action cinema, which completely wipes the floor with anything Hollywood could ever produce.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A ray of "sunshine"...
Guardia8 February 2006
This film is a complete change in tone from "Mr. Vampire". This sequel is really only an extension of the vampire-gone-loose idea, and is set in modern times. We have very little brought from the original, and what is brought (Lam Ching-Ying), is quite dis-connected anyway.

That said, this film is quite odd. Lam Ching-Ying is excellent as usual as the kind of hard-case Taoist priest, and we seem him up against vampires in the usual sense. Yuen Biao is quite under-used as the Taoist Priest's off-sider, and is quite clumsy and reluctant to engage in kung-fu technique it seems. I was waiting for him to really do something but it never really came for me. Most of this film is wrestling back and forth with a pair of vampires.

The vampires are portrayed (for my tastes), as too human. Whereas in Mr. Vampire 1, the corpse is sort of without personality, and has ceased being human, the vampires in this film are really portrayed as a family unit. We are asked to sympathise with them quite often.

Do not expect anything like Mr. Vampire 1 and you'll be fine. If you do, you may have to see it at least twice as I have to judge it on it's own merits. It really is a very separate film to the original, and the title does it more harm than good I believe.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor (and unrelated) sequel
eddax6 September 2010
No story relation to the first but also starring Lam Ching Ying and Moon Lee, along with Yuen Biao, one of the three well-known members of the Painted Faces group. Like Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, he's a gifted comedian as well.

Unfortunately, like all sequels rushed out to capitalize on the success of the first, this movie is quite unoriginal in its humor and what's worse is that it includes a (vampire) child, probably to make the movie more accessible to children and grandparents. There is nothing for the kid to do except "act cute" and the villains aren't really even villains 'coz they're just vampire parents who want their child back. The fight scenes are decent but they made a main one really stupid by having everyone move in slow motion.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scattershot sequel
Leofwine_draca20 August 2014
MR. VAMPIRE was a comedy horror classic that very nearly equalled the heights of Sammo Hung's ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPOOKY KIND, so this sequel has its work cut out from the outset. And it's fair to say that it doesn't come close to equalling the power, atmosphere or feel of the original movie. That doesn't mean it's a bad film - in fact, it's a pretty good example of its type - just don't go in expecting more of the same.

This time around, a family of vampires (mother, father, and son) are excavated by an archaeologist (ENCOUNTERS star Fat Chung) and before long the usual hijinks ensue. This time, the film is divided into sub-plots between three groups of characters; one of them involves the archaeologists trying to make amends for their mess, another involves the antics of the vampire kid trying to integrate into family life, and a third sees the return of the one-eyebrowed priest, played by Lam Ching-Ying.

It's disappointing that Lam Ching-Ying gets a lot less screen-time this time around, although the producers do make up for that by casting Yuen Biao in a central role; a disappointment then that Biao doesn't get to take part in much martial arts. Too much of the narrative is taken up by the vampire kid, although things do hit a high note at the climax which offers more of the traditional vampire action that you'd expect. Sadly, the film's centre-point gag, which sees the action taking place in slow motion, goes on for way too long and just isn't very funny.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More family and kid-oriented.
OllieSuave-00729 September 2013
This is the first, unofficial sequel of 1985's Mr. Vampire. The movie's events are set in modern times. A group of explorers steal three corpses from an ancient cave and plan to sell them for a large amount of money. Unfortunately, they do not know that the corpses are actually a family of vampires and, after taking them to Hong Kong, they revive and threaten to wreak havoc on mankind.

The two adult vampires, played by Wing-Cheung Cheung and Pauline Wang Yu-Huan, are the menaces while the child vampire, played by Kin-Wai Ho, is a harmless and friendly creature who befriended two children in the city. The subplot of the child vampire and the children distracts from the main plot a little, but fortunately, the kiddie scenes do not take too much screen time. The main plot involves local herbs Master Lam, played by Lam Ching Ying, discovering that one of the explorers was bitten by a vampire and goes to investigate with his daughter, played by Moon Lee, and future photographer son-in-law, played by Yuen Biao. What follows is what I think the highlight of the movie - the three protagonists go head-to-head with the adult vampires in slow motion (a jar of "retarder" accidentally spills onto them, resulting in slowed movements). Composer Anders Nelsson provided a wonderful piece of orchestral music score, inserting music to action and comedy scenes where appropriate.

What depletes from this film are the Kung-Fu action. Being a movie with martial arts stars like Lam Ching Ying and Yuen Biao, more Kung-Fu sequences would have made this movie more entertaining. And, a bunch of popular Hong Kong actors made cameos in the movie and I wished more of them would have been given more screen time. I also wished the adult vampires would have been portrayed as a little more menacing - they are after all supposed to be a threat to mankind.

Overall, a more sub-par movie of the Hong Kong vampire/ghost genre, but still an OK and pretty fun movie to past the time on a slow Saturday night.

Grade B-
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childhood memories
z-5971320 April 2020
Red rope glutinous rice is still here today, but Lin Zhengying was not there. Grandpa Lin's miraculous story is interesting, and the supporting roles of the protagonists are all vivid, absolutely! Chao missed waiting for Grandpa Lin's movie in front of the TV series
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It should've been called "My Friend the Vampire Kid"
cauwboy30 May 2020
This wasn't a good film. I'm sure there are those that have nostalgic feelings for this film, but compared with the first film, this film just didn't live up to it at all. Other than having Chinese vampires in the film and Ching-Ying Lam returning (in another role) this film belongs in the category of sequels that got very little to do with the original. It was also made just one year after the original, which makes sense when you see the end result, since this film feels very rushed.

The plot is simple enough, some graverobbers/archaeologist find a cave with three vampires, one male, one female and a kid - a family. The baddies takes the bodies with them and plans on selling them on the black market, but ends up making a mess and release them out into society, where they end up causing havoc, sort of. The vampire kid gets separated from its parents and ends up befriending two normal kids, play around with them and have a fun time.

I made it sound quite easy now, but the plot really is all over the place, The first 30 minutes is all about the graverobbers and how they end up failing with their task to both sell the bodies or just keeping them secure, I had to check the time because I wondered why Ching-Ying Lam hadn't showed up yet, since he was supposed to have the lead role in this film (or that's what I thought at least.) This is more of an ensemble cast film, with many different plots to follow at the same time, but when it doesn't have any interesting characters or any cool world-building as the first film, you got not much left to cheer for with this film. There's not much fighting in the film, which isn't necessary anyway, it's a vampire film, not a kung fu film, but to have a whole side plot with the kid vampire just made this film so awkwardly sweet and not fitting to the rest of the film at all.

The part that made me give this 4 stars instead of 5 was when Ching-Ying Lam broke the fourth wall and told the police his qualifications about his Master Sammo (obviously Sammo Hung) and then listing previous better films than this one that he's been part of (Spooky Encounters, Mr Vampire etc.). It might've worked in Airplane, but not for a film like this. I will most likely not revisit this film since it does very little for the genre. I did not hate it, I was just very disappointed in what it was.

Don't watch it unless you really feel like you need to have seen all of the Chinese Vampire films. But again, this film does very little for the genre and is easily forgotten.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.