Flight of the Navigator (1986) Poster

Where did Disney come up with this?! It's (gasp) original!
AllMT314 September 2003
You know the drill: 12 year old David falls into a ravine in the woods and discovers when he wakes up that he's been missing for eight years. He also discovers that he's hearing voices that seem to come from a mysterious craft housed in a NASA hangar.

My two cents worth: In a time when all the live action Disney movies seem to be a variant on "I was normal but just discovered I am/have just been mistaken for royalty/merperson/rock star/leprechaun/etc., this movie from the 1980's is a real breath of fresh air.

The scenario, waking up and discovering that everything except you has changed, and knowing you'll be somebody's idea of a guinea pig for the rest of your life, is instantly relatable and creepy, whether you're a kid or an adult. The kid fainting, the change in the two brother's relationship due to the age flop, parents trying to protect their son, government trying to exploit the kid's knowledge, everyone's reactions to the situation are all logical and believable.

And who hasn't wanted a chance to fly a saucer? Having Max, the ship's pilot, be a robot was another stroke of brilliance. So many movies have the aliens flying all the way here to come visit us face to face. But if we send machines to other planets because it's cheaper than going ourselves, why wouldn't they? And having him learn about Earth courtesy of a 12-year-old's TV polluted brain was hysterical.

The movie seems a little dated today; but it's forgivable because, like Back to the Future, it's set so specifically in a certain frame of time (you expect it to look and sound like 1986 because, hey, they keep telling you that's when it is.)

Recommendations: Back to the Future and Big are the two I can think of that are most along these lines.
76 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the very best Sci-fi Family Movies of the 80's
daddydow9 June 2004
I had seen this movie on VHS back in the 80's and I now have children and just watched this movie with them on DVD. The film still has presence and the special effects are still quite good even considering they are now near 20 years old. Very impressive and my children are now complete fans of the movie.

If you have never seen this film, I would recommend it whole-heartedly for the entire family. If it has been sometime since you watched this film I would say check it out, well worth a return visit.

One thing I have to mention is the joy I was receiving just watching my children (ages 4 through 8) experience this movie for the first time. Even after all of the Hi-tech movies they have seen in recent years this movie was still able to capture their attention, hold it and entertain just as well as anything in recent memory (such as Spiderman, Hulk or even Spy Kids).

My children wanted to re-watch it immediately after it ended, it was that good in their (short attention span) minds.

5 out of 5 stars from me and mine.

**Although regarding the DVD transfer, it could have used some extra's, even a trailer from the original film, however there were none, simple menu access and set-up options only, enjoyable none-the-less.
63 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage!
vertigo_1427 April 2004
Flight of the Navigator is one of those terrific adventure films for kids, even after all these years. It also falls into a long line of fun 80s sci-fi/adventure family movies.

Davey (Joey Cramer) goes into the woods looking for his little brother one evening in 1978. When he wakes up after a brief period of unconsciousness, he turns into a scientific marvel. Nothing is as Davey remembers it, but he can't figure out why because he only fell asleep for a brief period.

Davey is told that his parents reported the young boy missing in 1978, the evening that he went searching in the woods for his younger brother, referring to the incident in the past tense because it is 1985. Only Davey is still exactly the same age and everything he was from 1978, while time has passed for everyone else. His little brother is now his big brother (Matt Adler). His parents are old. Everyone is confused and the scientific world find the situation fascinating.

The scientists turn Davey into their personal guinea pig, running tests and probing him and all that junk. And soon they discover, that Davey was abducted. Davey, understandably a confused little kid, can't figure out what's going on and he sure doesn't want to be locked up in some lab where people prod at him all day long and tell him very little. So, he breaks lose, and hops aboard the spaceship that took him through time before. While it is an escape from the scientists and their security (briefly), it also holds the answers to what happened to him. It is also an opportunity for Davey to learn everything from this spaceship. And a kid's movie isn't complete without personifying inanimate objects. The spaceship is essentially controlled by Max, which is like it's CPU, a CPU with a cool sense of humor who likewise tries to learn about human emotions and condition from his passenger, Davey.

Filmed around Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, it is still a cool movie for kids...teenagers...whatever, having a little bit of something for everyone. Great humor, cool special effects, and the like.
37 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic!
e_imdb-4820 September 2004
This film is to blame for my over active imagination. Saw it on TV when i was at school and watched it over and over ever since! Though the quality of the film was not something i would have noticed when i was that age, i did notice the amazing special effects (for that era of cinematographic effects).

The ship design (Steve Austin) is truly inspired (especially when in 'first class manouvre' mode!!) and stylistically has stood the test of time (it could quite easily pass off as futuristic in new films today. Maybe he should have done some more design work(?).

And my favourite character ... 'Al', the big guy at the service station ('Rusty' Pouch), best bit of acting ever!

The flight scenes and the concept of flying in a cool spaceship caught my young mind most of all. As i watched it time and time again, the many other factors proved to play a major part of the film. The music score for one is great and for me has become a critical part of the film (I love the 80's synth!)

All in all, this piece of cinema was very very well thought out, constructed, produced, acted, all fitting together in a film that many films could never achieve.

Go buy it on DVD!

E:)
42 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic family movie
Juni78ukr16 January 2006
For the fist time I saw Flight of The Navigator when I was a kid, nearly twenty years ago. I remember young soviet kids flocked into the theaters to see a strange American movie and somehow taped it but too many time has passed and all these years it was like a rather unclear distant memory for me, a distant memory of something pretty good and even beautiful. Since then I was unable to find it and watch it again and only recently I caught in on a cable TV channel. Despite being twenty seven years old now I still liked it a lot.

Flight of The Navigator is a very good Sci-fi family movie despite (or some people could say thanks to) it is not as overloaded by the special effects as most of such modern movies. That left enough place not only for pure entertainment bit also for emotions and some pretty nice scenes with rather good dialogs. It the story of an eleven years old boy, who after a strange and quite inexplicable contact with something looked like an alien ship got moved through the time into future several years ago, which passed for him like a couple of hours. In this future he takes an adventure to find an explanation what really happened with him. Flight of The Navigator is a very enjoyable movie for whole family, which deserves much more appreciation than overwhelming majority of recent family movies.

9 out of 10
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Delightful Sci-Fi From the 1980s
claudio_carvalho6 January 2004
In 1978, in Fort Lauderdale, the twelve years old David Freeman (Joey Cramer) goes through the grove to bring his younger brother back home. He slides, falls in a hole and faints. When he wakes up and goes home, eight years have passed and he has not aged. Meanwhile, NASA scientists find a spacecraft near to a fallen electric tower. David is brought to NASA to be studied and soon he realizes that he can communicate with the UFO. He finds out that he was sent to a distant planet in a very high speed and became the navigator of the spacecraft. In his life, he had lost 4.4 hours. On Earth, eight years have passed. This movie is a delightful entertainment, using good special effects and having a very reasonable story. It is a family entertainment, indicated for all ages. Sarah Jessica Parker, famous presently due to the show `From Sex and the City', has a minor participation as a trainee in NASA. My vote is seven.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun
cosmic_quest10 August 2006
'Flight of the Navigator' might have been produced in the mid-Eighties but it certainly hasn't lost it's charm over the last twenty years and it does stand up well against more recent family film offerings.

The story begins in 1978 with twelve-year-old David Freeman, a happy all-American kid who lives with his loving parents and typically bratty eight-year-old brother Jeff. One night he sets off into the woods to look for Jeff only to be knocked unconscious when he falls from a ravine. When David awakes in what seems like hours later to him, he discovers actually eight years have passed and it is now 1986. Although he is still twelve years old, the world has moved on and even his little brother is older than he is. NASA are very interested in David when his EEG scan reveal readings in the shape of a UFO they have discovered and other scans of the boy result in star charts of distant galaxies being spewed out from the computers. But our hero is determined to return to his family so he breaks free and hides aboard the UFO which holds the key to everything.

Joey Cramer gives a likable performance as David, a boy who enjoys adventures but ultimately just wants to be with his family. I think anyone watching the film would empathise with his character's anger and sense of helplessness when David discovers NASA have no intention of letting him go home. Matt Adler as sixteen-year-old Jeff is another notable actor in the film in the way he depicts his character's uncertainty of dealing with his little big brother and his developing protectiveness towards David. Also, look out for a younger Sarah Jessica Parker.

For those who watched 'Flight of the Navigator' as children in the Eighties, there is definitely a nostalgic feeling to it. However, I think children of present day would still enjoy the film as it has a little of everything and issues raised as still relevant and/or interesting today such as pre-teen crushes, annoying kid brothers, the thrill of following a hero on his 'quest', a fun mentor for the hero (even if it is metallic!) and arrogant scientist-types. It is important to remember that this is a children's film aimed very much at an eight- to twelve-year-old demography so it doesn't delve too deeply but the plot is quite unique, the characters are interesting and it is a film that is well put-together. Certainly one to enjoy with the whole family.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than meets the eye
shneur5 June 2005
This movie is an entertaining fantasy, but there's quite a bit more to it just beneath the surface. The protagonist is a 12-y/o kid raised, as most are in Western culture, to be incompetent, overly dependent on adults, and untrusting of his own judgment. When he finds himself aboard an alien spacecraft, he naturally first attempts to transfer that dependency to the robotic pilot Max, which, all-seeing eye and all, represents the omniscient grown-up. As time goes on, though, David begins to realize that: 1) his own interests do not in fact always coincide with Max's, 2)that therefore he must advocate for himself to achieve a favorable outcome, and 3) that he's the one who has to decide just what outcome will best meet his needs. Much unlike most "kid movies," this character shows real growth, and in the end confronts a real moral and personal dilemma. Whether you agree with his choice or not, you have to respect him for what he has become.
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite childhood movie
nanootwilson15 July 2006
This film stands out as my favourite childhood movie. I have searched my brain for the name of it for years, even as I remembered full scenes, extremely detailed. I just couldn't remember the name of the film. I started renting anything I recognized from when I was young - and ended up watching some great films (although most were slower than I remembered them to be). But, finally, I found this, my favourite film, and I have to say it is just as exciting and cool and exciting as I remembered (keep in mind, even as a young person, I had a keen eye for excellence in film :) ). I recommend this film completely.

Enjoy it!
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Compliance!"
utgard1417 December 2013
Fun sci-fi family movie about a twelve year-old boy (Joey Cramer) who disappears and returns eight years later, still twelve years old and unaware he's been missing. At the same time, NASA finds a spaceship but are unable to open it. NASA attempts to hold the boy against his will, but he escapes on board the spaceship. Paul Reubens is great as the voice of Max, the ship's computer.

This is an awesome '80s movie. A good story told with nice special effects and lots of heart. The cast is terrific. In addition to Cramer and Reubens, there's Sarah Jessica Parker in an early role, Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young as the boy's parents, and Howard Hesseman as the film's antagonist.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool until Paul Reubens Shows up...
alyssabond13 June 2014
This is a tough one. I saw this movie as a child, and it stuck with me as something I loved. But then I revisited it as an adult, and it didn't hold up that well. I wish I could give two ratings, one from me as a kid (probably an 8 or 9) and then one for me as an adult (probably a 3 or 4 at best). To make the compromise I did a 5.

The story is fairly original, and the acting is fine. The spaceship effects hold up relatively well. I like the kid (what else did he do?? I feel like I didn't see him in much else).

I don't think this is a spoiler, or hope not anyway, but if you're at all concerned with things like then then read no further.

One place that really messes the movie up for me though, is when the alien ship AI personality makes a shift from this kind of cool mysterious robot voice, to the voice of Paul Reubens (AKA Pee-Wee Herman, doing his Pee-Wee Herman voice no less). I felt like as a kid this worked, it was kind of hip and cool and fun. But as an adult, it turns the alien ship into a really annoying character, and I feel a lot less sympathy for everyone involved.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joey Cramer was the cutest kid, it was a great family show
jgardner195526 January 2008
My boys enjoyed this show, and we loved the ship and the happy ending. I was surprised he did not continue in show biz. I even saw another movie called Heartland Ghost and I was so excited because I just knew it was him but it was another actor names Gabrielle Olds that played Jeff in that show. I wish I could find a current picture or any picture of Joey Cramer after that movie. Some of his co-stars are still making great movies. I just hope he is well and happy with his life.

I had three boys and they ran around the house saying Compliance. It was sooo cute. They even loved how the ships voice changed to pee wee's.

After Joey was able to come back to the way things were with his little alien friend, they wondered how he was going to keep his little friend a secret from his parents. I am just glad I was able to raise my boys without having them get on the roof to shoot off fireworks.

I wonder if Joey has any boys and if they have seen their fathers movies. Young people whose parents were actors have a very unique way to know what their parents were like as kids, beside the normal pictures and home movies.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is 2 thumbs up and a ten on my IMDb rating!
ghettodogaudio0618 March 2008
I've been saving that DVD to watch for a rainy day or a day off in my case. I was way too young too remember this movie from 1986 as I was only three years old. Cool sci-fi movie that is in the same realm of coolness as ET. A young boy is asked by his mother to go get his younger brother from the neighbors. The kid named David, falls down this ravine and hits his head. He passes out and finds himself awake 8 years later and everything has changed including his family. I am not going to wreck the plot anymore you will have to watch this movie. My roommate is already mad at me for spoiling some of the plot because I thought this movie was awesome. And Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty hot as she is sooooooo young in this movie and it was way before her Sex In The City success in the nineties. Flight Of The Navigator is a movie I know I will watch again as I love movies from the eighties and movies filled with adventure and worlds we couldn't even imagine in our existence.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
David and the compliant Phaleon.
Spikeopath6 January 2013
Flight of the Navigator is directed by Randal Kleiser and is adapted to screenplay by Michael Burton and Matt MacManus from a story by Mark H. Baker. It stars Joey Cramer, Veronica Cartwright, Cliff De Young, Sarah Jessica Parker, Howard Hesseman and the voice of Paul Reubens. Music is by Alan Silvestri and cinematography is by James Glennon and Eric McGraw.

Young David Freeman (Cramer) is out in the woods near his home in Fort Lauderdale when he falls down a ravine and is knocked unconscious. Waking up he finds that the world around him has advanced by 8 years but he hasn't. After being reunited with his overjoyed parents, it becomes apparent that David has had an encounter with a extra terrestrial life form, which of course greatly interests the authorities...

It's a family friendly sci-fi with a difference, in that it doesn't have to take us into space for its tale, yet this in no way detracts from how enjoyable Flight of the Navigator is. It is told from young David's perspective (with Cramer impressionable), thus it firmly engages the kids in the audience. The relationship between David and the Phaleon computer system (Reubens) engages with witty chatter and educational purpose, and the effects work should not be taken for granted either. If we are to be picky then the build up is a touch long before the pic goes "extra terrestrial", and Cartwright and De Young are barely given time to impact as parents coming to terms with a family life turned upside down. But small complaints really and this is a lovely film, one that isn't just for 1980s nostalgists. 7/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good.
robertofuiano20 September 2008
beautiful film. As to the usual one, the usual negative comments which talk about a classical film some years 80 which everyone does not like it to the nostalgic ones are met.Sure Heros that this film had to have a judgment in this site. In fact reviewers' good part has put a high vote to the previous episodes. Because this contrast? I know the reason. Since assumptive reviewers' good part favorably sees the past and as the past is "better" than the present they have given several credit to the preceding episodes being still the last episode more explosive and spectacular. At this point should reject also the old episodes but there are here two weights and two measure.In fact also cinema masterpieces have been criticized and denigrated. Good part some reviewers of this site belong to the very bad reviewers. Better think separately with its head. I was sure that the god fun old episode did not like it. Who has to be withdrawn is not george lucas but the last reviewer SAMPAT GO AWAY.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The First Half is Great...
junk-monkey9 December 2005
OK First up. I'm not the target audience for this movie and I didn't see it when I was a kid so I'm not looking at it with the warm glow of nostalgia. So I guess I'm going to p!ss some people off with this review.

The first half of this movie is, not to mince words, great. Even to my middle-aged jaded eyes it is a great start. Nicely acted, nicely paced, and nicely directed ( I loved the opening shot and the 2 subsequent UFOs that weren't). David, the eldest son of a Standard Disney All American Family, slips and falls whilst in the woods one night. Returning home he finds eight years have passed. Simltaniously an alien Space ship has crashed into a power pylon; later the NASA scientists studying it discover that David has information in his head that directly links him with the alien space ship. They start to analyse the knowledge that has been placed in his brain...

Up until this point the movie has been building up a nice eerie edge, The scenes where David is reunited with his family have an emotional punch. There is some real tension building up, tension which dissolves almost immediately Sarah Jessica Parker and her obvious plot device on wheels turns up and is only just being built up again when David enters the ship (via the obvious plot device on wheels) As soon as he steps onto the space ship the whole movie just falls flat on its arse.

David just flies about a bit then has the star charts which were (for no apparent reason)pumped into his brain during the missing eight years read by the spaceship who managed to loose his copy while crashing into the power line...? What!? Oh come on! This is stupid. Even for a Disney kids movie, this is stupid stupid stupid film-making. The alien robot ship then turns into a cool talking dude, shows him the other 'samples' one of which eats David's hat then belches (a particularly thin and annoying 'joke' that seems to amuse American movie directors and no one else). David teaches the spaceship about music - a space-faring race that has examined dozens of other sentient species, can speak English, and has never heard of music?. Then they fly about for a bit unable to find Florida. When they do get there, via Japan, David decides that he wants to attempt to travel back in time to 1987. He travels back in time. He doesn't disintegrate. He is reunited with his family for the second time in the movie. Was it all a dream? No! He still has the cute little orphaned alien he picked up with him.

OK, maybe I'm being harsh here. It's a kids film after all. But it started out so well. It showed great promise. Then it just copped out the second half of the film is just David flying the ship around. There is no threat, no mystery, no plot, no tension. It's boring. And Max the spaceship was for me,after about 3 minutes, a winner of the prestigious Ja-Ja Binks most Annoying Character in a SF Movie of the Year Award.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgotten little 80's adventure movie
Superunknovvn23 April 2006
"Flight Of The Navigator" is a kids movie and as such it has every right not to really make sense. In other words everybody who tries to pick it apart and tries to find plot holes is a hopeless geek who takes things too seriously. This movie isn't even trying to convey a coherent story.

Nonetheless, it is a bit disappointing that after the first very strong half the movie kind of drifts into an amusement park ride with the main character just flying around in the alien ship. That may be fun to watch for kids who also like "Knight Rider", but it's kind of tedious for anybody who's a fan of actual storytelling. Ultimately, it's the movie's gimmicky, but plot less second half that prevented "Flight Of The Navigator" from becoming a box office hit, let alone a classic like "E.T.". That's a bit of a pity since the direction and especially the special effects hold up extremely well to this day and could have made for a much more memorable motion picture.

If you like adventure movies with a nostalgic 80's feel to them, "Flight Of The Navigator" will not fail to entertain you on a Saturday afternoon. Kids between 8 and 13 are going to love it anyway.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great science fiction story from Walt Disney Studios
kastri_gr22 July 2010
I remember that i had watched this movie on television when i was about ten years old.It reminds me good stories like goonies,et the extra terrestial,close encounters of the third kind and basically the good movies from the 80s when they knew how to make an excellent movie without special effects.

We see the story of a young boy in 1978 named David who apparently had been disappeared for 8 years without anyone know where he had been.He returns mysteriously in the year 1986 to find out that he was a missing person.This of course occurs the weirdness of Scientists who believe that David has a connection with a spaceship they found and which they cannot open.The most interesting part is that David has a high intelligence and that is the thing that they want to take advantage.David no longer can stand this situation he tries to escape from the Nasa facilities where he was captured and by luck he finds the spaceship to realize that he is the navigator and he can control it.And then there is a chasing for about 20 minutes and at the end David decides to travel back in time in 1978 again because he knows that if he stays he will an experiment for the scientists.

Very good acting,an amazing music by Alan Silvestri.I think its a movie for all ages.
Pleasant landing
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews18 August 2008
I watched this on television, seemingly cut for such. I think I expected different things of this, but I can't claim that it's poorly done. The acting, perhaps excepting any other kid(which there weren't many of) than the main one, is rather solid. The plot isn't bad, and they did employ an actual scientific theory. The pacing is remarkable, this flows and flies smoothly. The writing is good and consistent, albeit viewers are required to accept stuff that strains suspension of disbelief. The humor is plentiful, with no overdone gags or jokes, if repetition and silliness(I could have done without the gross-out material, even if there isn't that much of it, and the fact that it was confined to a single scene) are apparent throughout this, and the entire thing, partially also clear in the tone, while that isn't that bothersome, is directed at children. I must admit that it is done with care. The cinematography and editing are talented. The effects are fantastic, and not just for the time, with realistic reflection and fluid motion. There is a little language in it, maybe harsh at least considering who its intended audience is. There is nothing else that parents may deem inappropriate for their offspring, save for a couple of actions that can be imitated(and definitely shouldn't be). I recommend this to those who enjoy lighthearted sci-fi fare, in particular those who can appreciate that kind of film not being, or having to be, stupid. 7/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flight of the Navigator is a great movie
musicman8629 April 2006
This is a great movie. It is classic for both parents and children. It really brings on nostalgaia. This is a clean movie. It has supereb special effects. ( especially for 1986) The writer did an excellent job. With its scfi elements and excellent characters it will delight children of all ages. Adults too. Joey Cramer who plays David, the main character really brings the story to life. The rest of the cast is equally as talented in their respective roles. The little robot at NASA and the design of the space ship are well done, and pulled off with a great degree of skill and competence. I recommend this movie for anybody who likes a fun, relaxing and all around good movie and good time.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good family fantasy adventure flick
johno-2122 March 2006
I'm one of the few here to comment on this movie who didn't see it as a child. I din't see this until sometime in the 1990's when I was in my 40's and it came on the Disney channel so I decided to check it out. I was surprised that it was a Disney movie as most Disney films are pretty well advertised but I had never heard of this before. A Disney family film geared for kids wouldn't have brought me into a theater to see it anyway so if I did hear about I just dismissed it and forgot about it. In the story, a 12 year old boy is somehow abducted by aliens and transported hundreds of light years from earth to their planet and then sent back in what amounts to only four hours of his life but on earth eight years have passed and the late 1970's kid finds himself back home in the mid 1980's. The movies first half is darker and more thought provoking and grabs your attention but then the movie becomes light and silly but that's OK as it's a good movie. Randal Kleiser directs. He had a big hit with Blue Lagoon and an even bigger one that he will always be remembered for in Grease but has had a lot of bad movies in his career. Although this is dated it has more of that enduring quality to it like his film Grease has. Kleiser's brother Jeffrey Kleiser is among a team of noted special effects and visual effects creators on this film including Ron Goodman, Bret Mixon and Peter Donen. Joey Cramer, whose acting career never materialized stars in an ensemble cast that includes Sarah Jessica Parker, Veronica Cartwright, Howard Hessman and the voice of Paul Reubens. This is a good family fantasy adventure movie and worth a look. I would give it an 8.0 out of 10.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eight Years in Space...Or Is It?
MIK7x326 September 2000
It was during the spring of 1995, while on vacation in Fort Lauderdale, that I read an eerie headline in the Sun-Sentinel. An elderly woman was dying of cancer, and she proclaimed that she wished to see her son one last time. What makes the story eerie is that her son disappeared from the Fort Lauderdale area in 1978, just like David Scott Freeman in "Flight of the Navigator". On the morning of July 5, 1978, Helen and Bill Freeman (Veronica Cartwright and Cliff DeYoung) awoke to learn that their son David (Joey Cramer) was missing. Eight years later, in 1986, he returned, not having aged a minute. Meanwhile, a flying saucer from the planet Phelan has landed on earth. It was later determined that all of its starcharts and artificial intelligence have escaped into David's brain. A team of NASA scientists led by Dr. Faraday (Howard Hesseman) is determined to research the connection between the alien ship and the time travelling David. Will David remain a lab rat for the rest of his life, or will he escape to freedom? There's only one way to find out, and that is by watching the movie. Perhaps there are several themes to this movie. Many families have lived with the tragedy of missing their children, and retrieving them is an arduous and time consuming task that often goes unfulfilled. It can also be seen as a story of alienation someone mired in 1978 may face if he were to suddenly awake in 1986. During those eight years, as David learned, his family moved and aged, Jimmy Carter was voted out of office, "Starsky and Hutch" went off the air, four new kinds of Coca-Cola hit the shelves, some girls began to dye their hair purple, and an all-male group named Twisted Sister replaced the Bee Gees as the most popular band of the time. Take note of the cameo appearances of Sarah Jessica Parker as NASA assistant Carolyn McAdams, and of Paul Reubens as the voice of Max. To answer your question, Chad Perman, Joey Cramer is alive and well and living in Vancouver. Having visited South Florida several times, I can add one last message of the movie. It really does feel like eight years when you travel up the I-95 instead of taking the Turnpike!
Disney's Problems In the '80s - Exhibit A
ccthemovieman-113 May 2006
This picture is a perfect example - maybe the best example - of why the Disney company went into the dumper by the mid-80s and had to be "saved" a few years later by a new regime which restored the Disney name to prominence in the film industry.

Why was this "Disney film" an example of how the film company had gone downhill? Well, let's see.....there were two s-words, one bast--d, one GD, one Jesus, etc. etc - yes, this was a "Disney film." In addition to the profanity that had not been in Disney films of the past, it had a stupid, annoying 12-year-old brat in the lead and enough holes in the story to start the proverbial swiss cheese factory. It was just plain dumb.

Thankfully, new owners put this company back on track with some higher-quality films in the next decade. This film was a disgrace.
14 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Instant Classic, and New Arrival..
mirosuionitsaki22 March 2008
After just finishing watching this movie, I'm quite happy I've watched it. Although, there are scenes that I really think are too common in Disney movies. But, I think I can just forgive that. If you are into Disney Family movies, and you are into characters meeting new friends but having to leave them for some reason, you will enjoy this movie. This movie could be the spiritual sequel to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, along with many other movies that can be it's spiritual predecessor and successor in Disney movies.

A 12 year old boy, David Freeman, was on his way to search for his little brother who would be returning from his friends house and would be going to the woods. David's mother thought that would be dangerous, so David should have to get him. David falls into a ditch, only to be awoken eight years later. David finds out that this is all because of some extra terrestrial plot, and he ends up going on a space ship with a robot. This video is fun for the whole family! What's even better, I'm pretty sure that this would be great to look at on a HDTV.

What disgusted me, or what I should say I disliked because they weren't really disgusting, was the following scenes I would say. David eventually attempts to teach the robot laughter, music, and the robot eventually reads David's mind and starts talking like a child. This aggravated me and I found the robot to be a little annoying and not very serious. But, I also found this to be quite entertaining. Eventually, the robot will get back to his normal self in the end, but at the very end, the robot talks like a child again. I also hated that this featured annoying words such as, "dork, geek," etc. But, you should remember that this was in the 1980s and this is a Disney movie.

I recommend this movie for all. Well, not for all. There are a few cussing, but it's not common. So far, I remember hearing the "SH" word and probably even the "D" word that ends with "mn", and I've also heard the word "Hell". If you don't want to have to spend a few seconds or a minute explaining to your child what that is, don't bother letting that child watch this movie or just don't tell that child what it means. Those words are not common! I hope you enjoy the movie!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stone cold Disney CLASSIC!!
Robert_duder26 April 2007
I will tell you right from the start that this review will be incredibly biased because this has always been one of my favorite films since I was a little boy. I know it probably realistically pulls off a 8/10 MAX (no Pun intended) but for myself and for anyone who can let go of their reality and witness a terrific science fiction adventure as though you were 12 years old will not be disappointed. The Flight of The Navigator was dead center of the eighties film craze that saw brilliant sci-fi fantasy epics like Star Trek movies, Back To The Future, Short Circuit, E.T., Batteries Not Included, Gremlins...the eighties was a film genre of it's own. This film fits right into that genre perfect and delivers an experience unlike anything ever seen. This was before the days of CGI enhanced films and special effects that were computer generated and in a day and age where things had to be done by hand and puppets. Director Randal Kleiser did something amazing with the budget, effects, cast and story and created a mesmerizing adventure that I think is one of his more under rated works next to his hit cult classics Grease and The Blue Lagoon.

Young star Joey Cramer does a brilliant job as David Freeman, the older brother and typical 'almost' teenager who is sent into a terrifying and yet amazing world where everyone around him has aged nearly ten years except him and he meets a friend that's out of this world. Cramer is in some ways the typical 'Disney' kid. But anyone can relate to him and his world and they do such an amazing job of capturing how this experience would feel finding yourself launched ten years into the future but having not aged a single day. You'll recognize regular character actors Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young as David's parents, both of them doing a great job with their smaller roles and carrying the incredible effect of having aged past their son. A young and very cute Sarah Jessica Parker plays the friendly Carolyn McAdams who befriends David at the NASA research facility, and Howard Hesseman is decent in his small role as the lead researcher at NASA who wants to study and protect David at once. Matt Adler is David's older brother but younger technically. Finally although credited at the end as 'Paul Mall' Trimaxion (or Max as he's known) is voiced by none other than Paul 'Pee Wee' Reubans who you can't miss as the voice. Nowadays the voice of Pee Wee Herman comes across as almost annoying and is more of a bad joke than anything but this film was released when Pee Wee Herman was all the rage and Reubans was a star to children. I almost found Max's voice annoying this time around but it never bothered me as a kid. Most of the parts in the film with the exception of David and Max are fairly small but everyone does a great job and carry the film wonderfully.

One of the truly brilliant things about Flight of The Navigator is their is NO antagonist, no villains. There are perhaps character with questionable motives but the entire film works without a villain. Instead the film relies on the quest for this boy to find his place in a world moved on without him and to figure out where he's been. Scenes of true brilliance include the actual flight once the ship escapes, the creatures inside Max all waiting to be returned home, and Max and David swaying and dancing to The Beach Boys...all classic Disney film. The Flight of The Navigator is a sure fire hit with kids and kids at heart. If you've never taken in the adventure...well you need to!! 9/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.