Flight of the Navigator (1986) Poster

One of the very best Sci-fi Family Movies of the 80's
daddydow9 June 2004
I had seen this movie on VHS back in the 80's and I now have children and just watched this movie with them on DVD. The film still has presence and the special effects are still quite good even considering they are now near 20 years old. Very impressive and my children are now complete fans of the movie.

If you have never seen this film, I would recommend it whole-heartedly for the entire family. If it has been sometime since you watched this film I would say check it out, well worth a return visit.

One thing I have to mention is the joy I was receiving just watching my children (ages 4 through 8) experience this movie for the first time. Even after all of the Hi-tech movies they have seen in recent years this movie was still able to capture their attention, hold it and entertain just as well as anything in recent memory (such as Spiderman, Hulk or even Spy Kids).

My children wanted to re-watch it immediately after it ended, it was that good in their (short attention span) minds.

5 out of 5 stars from me and mine.

**Although regarding the DVD transfer, it could have used some extra's, even a trailer from the original film, however there were none, simple menu access and set-up options only, enjoyable none-the-less.
74 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where did Disney come up with this?! It's (gasp) original!
AllMT314 September 2003
You know the drill: 12 year old David falls into a ravine in the woods and discovers when he wakes up that he's been missing for eight years. He also discovers that he's hearing voices that seem to come from a mysterious craft housed in a NASA hangar.

My two cents worth: In a time when all the live action Disney movies seem to be a variant on "I was normal but just discovered I am/have just been mistaken for royalty/merperson/rock star/leprechaun/etc., this movie from the 1980's is a real breath of fresh air.

The scenario, waking up and discovering that everything except you has changed, and knowing you'll be somebody's idea of a guinea pig for the rest of your life, is instantly relatable and creepy, whether you're a kid or an adult. The kid fainting, the change in the two brother's relationship due to the age flop, parents trying to protect their son, government trying to exploit the kid's knowledge, everyone's reactions to the situation are all logical and believable.

And who hasn't wanted a chance to fly a saucer? Having Max, the ship's pilot, be a robot was another stroke of brilliance. So many movies have the aliens flying all the way here to come visit us face to face. But if we send machines to other planets because it's cheaper than going ourselves, why wouldn't they? And having him learn about Earth courtesy of a 12-year-old's TV polluted brain was hysterical.

The movie seems a little dated today; but it's forgivable because, like Back to the Future, it's set so specifically in a certain frame of time (you expect it to look and sound like 1986 because, hey, they keep telling you that's when it is.)

Recommendations: Back to the Future and Big are the two I can think of that are most along these lines.
89 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic!
e_imdb-4820 September 2004
This film is to blame for my over active imagination. Saw it on TV when i was at school and watched it over and over ever since! Though the quality of the film was not something i would have noticed when i was that age, i did notice the amazing special effects (for that era of cinematographic effects).

The ship design (Steve Austin) is truly inspired (especially when in 'first class manouvre' mode!!) and stylistically has stood the test of time (it could quite easily pass off as futuristic in new films today. Maybe he should have done some more design work(?).

And my favourite character ... 'Al', the big guy at the service station ('Rusty' Pouch), best bit of acting ever!

The flight scenes and the concept of flying in a cool spaceship caught my young mind most of all. As i watched it time and time again, the many other factors proved to play a major part of the film. The music score for one is great and for me has become a critical part of the film (I love the 80's synth!)

All in all, this piece of cinema was very very well thought out, constructed, produced, acted, all fitting together in a film that many films could never achieve.

Go buy it on DVD!

E:)
47 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage!
vertigo_1427 April 2004
Flight of the Navigator is one of those terrific adventure films for kids, even after all these years. It also falls into a long line of fun 80s sci-fi/adventure family movies.

Davey (Joey Cramer) goes into the woods looking for his little brother one evening in 1978. When he wakes up after a brief period of unconsciousness, he turns into a scientific marvel. Nothing is as Davey remembers it, but he can't figure out why because he only fell asleep for a brief period.

Davey is told that his parents reported the young boy missing in 1978, the evening that he went searching in the woods for his younger brother, referring to the incident in the past tense because it is 1985. Only Davey is still exactly the same age and everything he was from 1978, while time has passed for everyone else. His little brother is now his big brother (Matt Adler). His parents are old. Everyone is confused and the scientific world find the situation fascinating.

The scientists turn Davey into their personal guinea pig, running tests and probing him and all that junk. And soon they discover, that Davey was abducted. Davey, understandably a confused little kid, can't figure out what's going on and he sure doesn't want to be locked up in some lab where people prod at him all day long and tell him very little. So, he breaks lose, and hops aboard the spaceship that took him through time before. While it is an escape from the scientists and their security (briefly), it also holds the answers to what happened to him. It is also an opportunity for Davey to learn everything from this spaceship. And a kid's movie isn't complete without personifying inanimate objects. The spaceship is essentially controlled by Max, which is like it's CPU, a CPU with a cool sense of humor who likewise tries to learn about human emotions and condition from his passenger, Davey.

Filmed around Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, it is still a cool movie for kids...teenagers...whatever, having a little bit of something for everyone. Great humor, cool special effects, and the like.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun
cosmic_quest10 August 2006
'Flight of the Navigator' might have been produced in the mid-Eighties but it certainly hasn't lost it's charm over the last twenty years and it does stand up well against more recent family film offerings.

The story begins in 1978 with twelve-year-old David Freeman, a happy all-American kid who lives with his loving parents and typically bratty eight-year-old brother Jeff. One night he sets off into the woods to look for Jeff only to be knocked unconscious when he falls from a ravine. When David awakes in what seems like hours later to him, he discovers actually eight years have passed and it is now 1986. Although he is still twelve years old, the world has moved on and even his little brother is older than he is. NASA are very interested in David when his EEG scan reveal readings in the shape of a UFO they have discovered and other scans of the boy result in star charts of distant galaxies being spewed out from the computers. But our hero is determined to return to his family so he breaks free and hides aboard the UFO which holds the key to everything.

Joey Cramer gives a likable performance as David, a boy who enjoys adventures but ultimately just wants to be with his family. I think anyone watching the film would empathise with his character's anger and sense of helplessness when David discovers NASA have no intention of letting him go home. Matt Adler as sixteen-year-old Jeff is another notable actor in the film in the way he depicts his character's uncertainty of dealing with his little big brother and his developing protectiveness towards David. Also, look out for a younger Sarah Jessica Parker.

For those who watched 'Flight of the Navigator' as children in the Eighties, there is definitely a nostalgic feeling to it. However, I think children of present day would still enjoy the film as it has a little of everything and issues raised as still relevant and/or interesting today such as pre-teen crushes, annoying kid brothers, the thrill of following a hero on his 'quest', a fun mentor for the hero (even if it is metallic!) and arrogant scientist-types. It is important to remember that this is a children's film aimed very much at an eight- to twelve-year-old demography so it doesn't delve too deeply but the plot is quite unique, the characters are interesting and it is a film that is well put-together. Certainly one to enjoy with the whole family.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Delightful Sci-Fi From the 1980s
claudio_carvalho6 January 2004
In 1978, in Fort Lauderdale, the twelve years old David Freeman (Joey Cramer) goes through the grove to bring his younger brother back home. He slides, falls in a hole and faints. When he wakes up and goes home, eight years have passed and he has not aged. Meanwhile, NASA scientists find a spacecraft near to a fallen electric tower. David is brought to NASA to be studied and soon he realizes that he can communicate with the UFO. He finds out that he was sent to a distant planet in a very high speed and became the navigator of the spacecraft. In his life, he had lost 4.4 hours. On Earth, eight years have passed. This movie is a delightful entertainment, using good special effects and having a very reasonable story. It is a family entertainment, indicated for all ages. Sarah Jessica Parker, famous presently due to the show `From Sex and the City', has a minor participation as a trainee in NASA. My vote is seven.
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic family movie
Juni78ukr16 January 2006
For the fist time I saw Flight of The Navigator when I was a kid, nearly twenty years ago. I remember young soviet kids flocked into the theaters to see a strange American movie and somehow taped it but too many time has passed and all these years it was like a rather unclear distant memory for me, a distant memory of something pretty good and even beautiful. Since then I was unable to find it and watch it again and only recently I caught in on a cable TV channel. Despite being twenty seven years old now I still liked it a lot.

Flight of The Navigator is a very good Sci-fi family movie despite (or some people could say thanks to) it is not as overloaded by the special effects as most of such modern movies. That left enough place not only for pure entertainment bit also for emotions and some pretty nice scenes with rather good dialogs. It the story of an eleven years old boy, who after a strange and quite inexplicable contact with something looked like an alien ship got moved through the time into future several years ago, which passed for him like a couple of hours. In this future he takes an adventure to find an explanation what really happened with him. Flight of The Navigator is a very enjoyable movie for whole family, which deserves much more appreciation than overwhelming majority of recent family movies.

9 out of 10
36 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than meets the eye
shneur5 June 2005
This movie is an entertaining fantasy, but there's quite a bit more to it just beneath the surface. The protagonist is a 12-y/o kid raised, as most are in Western culture, to be incompetent, overly dependent on adults, and untrusting of his own judgment. When he finds himself aboard an alien spacecraft, he naturally first attempts to transfer that dependency to the robotic pilot Max, which, all-seeing eye and all, represents the omniscient grown-up. As time goes on, though, David begins to realize that: 1) his own interests do not in fact always coincide with Max's, 2)that therefore he must advocate for himself to achieve a favorable outcome, and 3) that he's the one who has to decide just what outcome will best meet his needs. Much unlike most "kid movies," this character shows real growth, and in the end confronts a real moral and personal dilemma. Whether you agree with his choice or not, you have to respect him for what he has become.
43 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is 2 thumbs up and a ten on my IMDb rating!
ghettodogaudio0618 March 2008
I've been saving that DVD to watch for a rainy day or a day off in my case. I was way too young too remember this movie from 1986 as I was only three years old. Cool sci-fi movie that is in the same realm of coolness as ET. A young boy is asked by his mother to go get his younger brother from the neighbors. The kid named David, falls down this ravine and hits his head. He passes out and finds himself awake 8 years later and everything has changed including his family. I am not going to wreck the plot anymore you will have to watch this movie. My roommate is already mad at me for spoiling some of the plot because I thought this movie was awesome. And Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty hot as she is sooooooo young in this movie and it was way before her Sex In The City success in the nineties. Flight Of The Navigator is a movie I know I will watch again as I love movies from the eighties and movies filled with adventure and worlds we couldn't even imagine in our existence.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite childhood movie
nanootwilson15 July 2006
This film stands out as my favourite childhood movie. I have searched my brain for the name of it for years, even as I remembered full scenes, extremely detailed. I just couldn't remember the name of the film. I started renting anything I recognized from when I was young - and ended up watching some great films (although most were slower than I remembered them to be). But, finally, I found this, my favourite film, and I have to say it is just as exciting and cool and exciting as I remembered (keep in mind, even as a young person, I had a keen eye for excellence in film :) ). I recommend this film completely.

Enjoy it!
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
David and the compliant Phaleon.
hitchcockthelegend6 January 2013
Flight of the Navigator is directed by Randal Kleiser and is adapted to screenplay by Michael Burton and Matt MacManus from a story by Mark H. Baker. It stars Joey Cramer, Veronica Cartwright, Cliff De Young, Sarah Jessica Parker, Howard Hesseman and the voice of Paul Reubens. Music is by Alan Silvestri and cinematography is by James Glennon and Eric McGraw.

Young David Freeman (Cramer) is out in the woods near his home in Fort Lauderdale when he falls down a ravine and is knocked unconscious. Waking up he finds that the world around him has advanced by 8 years but he hasn't. After being reunited with his overjoyed parents, it becomes apparent that David has had an encounter with a extra terrestrial life form, which of course greatly interests the authorities...

It's a family friendly sci-fi with a difference, in that it doesn't have to take us into space for its tale, yet this in no way detracts from how enjoyable Flight of the Navigator is. It is told from young David's perspective (with Cramer impressionable), thus it firmly engages the kids in the audience. The relationship between David and the Phaleon computer system (Reubens) engages with witty chatter and educational purpose, and the effects work should not be taken for granted either. If we are to be picky then the build up is a touch long before the pic goes "extra terrestrial", and Cartwright and De Young are barely given time to impact as parents coming to terms with a family life turned upside down. But small complaints really and this is a lovely film, one that isn't just for 1980s nostalgists. 7/10
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Compliance!"
utgard1417 December 2013
Fun sci-fi family movie about a twelve year-old boy (Joey Cramer) who disappears and returns eight years later, still twelve years old and unaware he's been missing. At the same time, NASA finds a spaceship but are unable to open it. NASA attempts to hold the boy against his will, but he escapes on board the spaceship. Paul Reubens is great as the voice of Max, the ship's computer.

This is an awesome '80s movie. A good story told with nice special effects and lots of heart. The cast is terrific. In addition to Cramer and Reubens, there's Sarah Jessica Parker in an early role, Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young as the boy's parents, and Howard Hesseman as the film's antagonist.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IMDb score too low... COMPLIANCE!
A_Different_Drummer10 December 2013
I have tried to ferret out from the IMDb database unique one-of-a-kind films that not only do their job (entertain) but also lack analogues, so that even if you want to compare them to something, you simply can't. This is one of my faves. It is astonishing that no one at Disney has tried to re-do it? Other reviewers here have ably covered the story. What they may have neglected to explain perhaps is how astonishing this tale is for the period (the 80s) and the audience (kids?). C'mon there are episodes of Star Trek that don't deal with as many issues of time travel, time paradox, time dilation (age differences) and ... for a kicker .. moral complexities. In a kid's film? G'mme a break. Astonishing little gem, great acting, and even the voice of the ship is well cast. My last word? COMPLIANCE!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joey Cramer was the cutest kid, it was a great family show
jgardner195526 January 2008
My boys enjoyed this show, and we loved the ship and the happy ending. I was surprised he did not continue in show biz. I even saw another movie called Heartland Ghost and I was so excited because I just knew it was him but it was another actor names Gabrielle Olds that played Jeff in that show. I wish I could find a current picture or any picture of Joey Cramer after that movie. Some of his co-stars are still making great movies. I just hope he is well and happy with his life.

I had three boys and they ran around the house saying Compliance. It was sooo cute. They even loved how the ships voice changed to pee wee's.

After Joey was able to come back to the way things were with his little alien friend, they wondered how he was going to keep his little friend a secret from his parents. I am just glad I was able to raise my boys without having them get on the roof to shoot off fireworks.

I wonder if Joey has any boys and if they have seen their fathers movies. Young people whose parents were actors have a very unique way to know what their parents were like as kids, beside the normal pictures and home movies.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical 80's sci-fi children's adventure romp
Woodyanders17 January 2019
12-year-old David Freeman (a fine and likeable performance by Joey Cramer) disappears for eight years only to find out that nothing is quite the same when he returns home. It turns out that David was whisked away on an alien space craft and now possesses knowledge that's essential for the space craft to complete its mission.

Director Randal Kleiser keeps the involving and hugely entertaining story whisking along at a brisk pace, brings an engaging feeling of genuine awe and wonder to the captivating premise, and maintains a tone that's sweet and breezy, but fortunately never becomes too cloying or cutesy. Moreover, the character of David actually undergoes a nice transitional arc in which he learns to take charge of his own life and be more considerate to his younger brother. The sound acting by the capable cast helps a lot: Cliff De Young and Veronica Cartwright as David's concerned and puzzled parents, Howard Hesseman as deceitful scientist Dr. Louis Farraday, Matt Adler as the cool and helpful teen version of David's younger brother Jeff, and Sarah Jessica Parker as spunky intern Carolyn McAdams. Paul Reubens provides the exuberant voice of spaceship pilot Max. In addition, the spacecraft boasts a novel and original design, the aerial photography is breathtaking, and the nifty special effects hold up pretty well. Kudos are also in order for James Glennon's glossy cinematography and Alan Silvestri's bouncy score. A total delight.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this film... and still do.
wrightiswright22 January 2017
This is one of those movies where you KNOW it isn't perfect... Did they HAVE to insert in an entirely redundant cute alien creature, for example? And wasn't the spaceship MUCH more appealing with a robotic, apathetic voice at the start then as the jive talking', clownish 'best buddy' that he becomes later? Yes, and YES.

But to a kid who grew up with this film, such imperfections don't matter a jot. You were THERE, flying through the sky, plunging into the ocean and almost crash landing into the Earth at the speed of light.

Even watching as a adult, the memories still linger... but the film is more than just a mildly pleasant nostalgia trip. Check out the cutting-edge special effects, and the excessively poignant meeting Kevin has with his family in the future where he hasn't aged a day.

Pure magic. 8/10
My favorite film ever
kompko12 January 2017
It is without doubt my favorite movie. In the 80s in the heat of the US space race and Russia, this movie made us dream of the possibility of finding extraterrestrial life, of breaking the air laws of flight and of giving a teenager the possibility of living a fascinating adventure .

When I finish this movie for the first time I was dreaming for several days that I had the possibility to live an experience like this. This film awakened in me an impressive interest in everything related to space and all its mysteries.

Today I still dream of piloting a spaceship from the hand of an alien.

Absolutely recommended.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly recommended family sci-fi film
unc-933972 April 2016
I saw this film in the cinema theater in my country in 1990 and was so amazed by this science fiction movie so I came to watch it again and again. Flight of the Navigator was not the first movie about traveling in time but arguably was the first to visualize UFO spaceship and hyperspace in a high-quality image. Also the idea that UFO can travel not only in space but in time looked pretty fresh. If you were a part of late 1980-s / early 1990-s you probably remember the interest to all this UFO and paranormal stuff and Flight of the Navigator hit those targets. The film is a family oriented movie made by Disney so anyone can watch it with a big pleasure
Cool kid's film
Leofwine_draca28 May 2015
I remember catching this on TV as a kid and really liking it. Not much has changed in the years since, as this is still a cool, fun kid's adventure film, perhaps not as in depth or as well made as Joe Dante's EXPLORERS but nevertheless a firm staple of a 1980s childhood.

The storyline is split into two halves, and the first half actually turns out to be an intriguing mystery about a boy who suffers a fall in the woods and who wakes up to discover eight years have mysteriously disappeared. Joey Cramer makes for a likable lead; maybe he's not the best actor in the world but I found myself caring about and identifying with his character.

After this set-up, the second half lets rip with an exhilarating fantasy set piece in which the lad takes a journey around the world in a really cool-looking UFO. There are some excellent special effects here and plenty of humour thanks to the reliably strange Paul Reubens in a voice performance. It's all very lightweight but no less entertaining because of it. Sarah Jessica Parker turns up in an early supporting role and Veronica Cartwright (ALIEN) is as good value as ever playing the kid's stressed-out mother.
Good.
robertofuiano20 September 2008
beautiful film. As to the usual one, the usual negative comments which talk about a classical film some years 80 which everyone does not like it to the nostalgic ones are met.Sure Heros that this film had to have a judgment in this site. In fact reviewers' good part has put a high vote to the previous episodes. Because this contrast? I know the reason. Since assumptive reviewers' good part favorably sees the past and as the past is "better" than the present they have given several credit to the preceding episodes being still the last episode more explosive and spectacular. At this point should reject also the old episodes but there are here two weights and two measure.In fact also cinema masterpieces have been criticized and denigrated. Good part some reviewers of this site belong to the very bad reviewers. Better think separately with its head. I was sure that the god fun old episode did not like it. Who has to be withdrawn is not george lucas but the last reviewer SAMPAT GO AWAY.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The First Half is Great...
junk-monkey9 December 2005
OK First up. I'm not the target audience for this movie and I didn't see it when I was a kid so I'm not looking at it with the warm glow of nostalgia. So I guess I'm going to p!ss some people off with this review.

The first half of this movie is, not to mince words, great. Even to my middle-aged jaded eyes it is a great start. Nicely acted, nicely paced, and nicely directed ( I loved the opening shot and the 2 subsequent UFOs that weren't). David, the eldest son of a Standard Disney All American Family, slips and falls whilst in the woods one night. Returning home he finds eight years have passed. Simltaniously an alien Space ship has crashed into a power pylon; later the NASA scientists studying it discover that David has information in his head that directly links him with the alien space ship. They start to analyse the knowledge that has been placed in his brain...

Up until this point the movie has been building up a nice eerie edge, The scenes where David is reunited with his family have an emotional punch. There is some real tension building up, tension which dissolves almost immediately Sarah Jessica Parker and her obvious plot device on wheels turns up and is only just being built up again when David enters the ship (via the obvious plot device on wheels) As soon as he steps onto the space ship the whole movie just falls flat on its arse.

David just flies about a bit then has the star charts which were (for no apparent reason)pumped into his brain during the missing eight years read by the spaceship who managed to loose his copy while crashing into the power line...? What!? Oh come on! This is stupid. Even for a Disney kids movie, this is stupid stupid stupid film-making. The alien robot ship then turns into a cool talking dude, shows him the other 'samples' one of which eats David's hat then belches (a particularly thin and annoying 'joke' that seems to amuse American movie directors and no one else). David teaches the spaceship about music - a space-faring race that has examined dozens of other sentient species, can speak English, and has never heard of music?. Then they fly about for a bit unable to find Florida. When they do get there, via Japan, David decides that he wants to attempt to travel back in time to 1987. He travels back in time. He doesn't disintegrate. He is reunited with his family for the second time in the movie. Was it all a dream? No! He still has the cute little orphaned alien he picked up with him.

OK, maybe I'm being harsh here. It's a kids film after all. But it started out so well. It showed great promise. Then it just copped out the second half of the film is just David flying the ship around. There is no threat, no mystery, no plot, no tension. It's boring. And Max the spaceship was for me,after about 3 minutes, a winner of the prestigious Ja-Ja Binks most Annoying Character in a SF Movie of the Year Award.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one unbelievable turn in otherwise good children sci-fi fantasy
SnoopyStyle29 March 2015
It's 1978 Florida. 12 year old David Freeman (Joey Cramer)'s parents are Helen (Veronica Cartwright) and Bill (Cliff De Young). He falls down a ravine in the woods behind his house and hits his head. He wakes up to find 8 years have passed but he hasn't aged a single day. His little brother Jeff (Matt Adler) is now 16. Meanwhile Dr. Louis Faraday (Howard Hesseman) is investigating a crashed UFO. David seems to have a connection to the ship. Faraday convinces the family to allow David to go with him by his lonesome. Carolyn McAdams (Sarah Jessica Parker) is a low level worker at the secret facility who befriends David.

There is a moment where this movie goes off the tracks a little. Faraday is able to convince David and his family to allow him to go off to a secret base with strangers all by himself. It's crazy unbelievable. No parents would ever do that without guns pointed at their heads especially for a 12 year old who's been missing for 8 years and presumed dead. I get the appeal of having the kid by himself in a strange environment. It raises the tension but does it in an unreasonable way. The core of the movie is a fascinating children's sci-fi fantasy. Joey Cramer is an endearing child actor. There are a lot to like in this movie but that turn keeps bugging me.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great family film that doesn't talk down to kids!
glass-spider907 January 2014
When I was a kid I always loved this film. I'm 23 now and I still love it, especially as I am a fan of science fiction. If you are a fan of science fiction you will love this film. The film is about a 12 year old boy called David who, one night while looking for his younger brother in a wood, slips and loses consciousness. When he wakes up he thinks only a few hours have passed but its eight years later and his family had left him for dead. David hasn't changed but everyone and everything else has. David and his family try to uncover the truth, but little do they know that doing so will take David on a great adventure. This film has everything, it is well written, has good dialogue, has humour and what's more the acting is good. It is very subtle and sophisticated for a family/kids film and doesn't talk down to its younger viewers. This makes it easily accessible for adult viewing. Even though this film is nearly 30 years old, it has stood the test of time and is definitely a much watch.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Instant Classic, and New Arrival..
mirosuionitsaki22 March 2008
After just finishing watching this movie, I'm quite happy I've watched it. Although, there are scenes that I really think are too common in Disney movies. But, I think I can just forgive that. If you are into Disney Family movies, and you are into characters meeting new friends but having to leave them for some reason, you will enjoy this movie. This movie could be the spiritual sequel to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, along with many other movies that can be it's spiritual predecessor and successor in Disney movies.

A 12 year old boy, David Freeman, was on his way to search for his little brother who would be returning from his friends house and would be going to the woods. David's mother thought that would be dangerous, so David should have to get him. David falls into a ditch, only to be awoken eight years later. David finds out that this is all because of some extra terrestrial plot, and he ends up going on a space ship with a robot. This video is fun for the whole family! What's even better, I'm pretty sure that this would be great to look at on a HDTV.

What disgusted me, or what I should say I disliked because they weren't really disgusting, was the following scenes I would say. David eventually attempts to teach the robot laughter, music, and the robot eventually reads David's mind and starts talking like a child. This aggravated me and I found the robot to be a little annoying and not very serious. But, I also found this to be quite entertaining. Eventually, the robot will get back to his normal self in the end, but at the very end, the robot talks like a child again. I also hated that this featured annoying words such as, "dork, geek," etc. But, you should remember that this was in the 1980s and this is a Disney movie.

I recommend this movie for all. Well, not for all. There are a few cussing, but it's not common. So far, I remember hearing the "SH" word and probably even the "D" word that ends with "mn", and I've also heard the word "Hell". If you don't want to have to spend a few seconds or a minute explaining to your child what that is, don't bother letting that child watch this movie or just don't tell that child what it means. Those words are not common! I hope you enjoy the movie!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stone cold Disney CLASSIC!!
Robert_duder26 April 2007
I will tell you right from the start that this review will be incredibly biased because this has always been one of my favorite films since I was a little boy. I know it probably realistically pulls off a 8/10 MAX (no Pun intended) but for myself and for anyone who can let go of their reality and witness a terrific science fiction adventure as though you were 12 years old will not be disappointed. The Flight of The Navigator was dead center of the eighties film craze that saw brilliant sci-fi fantasy epics like Star Trek movies, Back To The Future, Short Circuit, E.T., Batteries Not Included, Gremlins...the eighties was a film genre of it's own. This film fits right into that genre perfect and delivers an experience unlike anything ever seen. This was before the days of CGI enhanced films and special effects that were computer generated and in a day and age where things had to be done by hand and puppets. Director Randal Kleiser did something amazing with the budget, effects, cast and story and created a mesmerizing adventure that I think is one of his more under rated works next to his hit cult classics Grease and The Blue Lagoon.

Young star Joey Cramer does a brilliant job as David Freeman, the older brother and typical 'almost' teenager who is sent into a terrifying and yet amazing world where everyone around him has aged nearly ten years except him and he meets a friend that's out of this world. Cramer is in some ways the typical 'Disney' kid. But anyone can relate to him and his world and they do such an amazing job of capturing how this experience would feel finding yourself launched ten years into the future but having not aged a single day. You'll recognize regular character actors Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young as David's parents, both of them doing a great job with their smaller roles and carrying the incredible effect of having aged past their son. A young and very cute Sarah Jessica Parker plays the friendly Carolyn McAdams who befriends David at the NASA research facility, and Howard Hesseman is decent in his small role as the lead researcher at NASA who wants to study and protect David at once. Matt Adler is David's older brother but younger technically. Finally although credited at the end as 'Paul Mall' Trimaxion (or Max as he's known) is voiced by none other than Paul 'Pee Wee' Reubans who you can't miss as the voice. Nowadays the voice of Pee Wee Herman comes across as almost annoying and is more of a bad joke than anything but this film was released when Pee Wee Herman was all the rage and Reubans was a star to children. I almost found Max's voice annoying this time around but it never bothered me as a kid. Most of the parts in the film with the exception of David and Max are fairly small but everyone does a great job and carry the film wonderfully.

One of the truly brilliant things about Flight of The Navigator is their is NO antagonist, no villains. There are perhaps character with questionable motives but the entire film works without a villain. Instead the film relies on the quest for this boy to find his place in a world moved on without him and to figure out where he's been. Scenes of true brilliance include the actual flight once the ship escapes, the creatures inside Max all waiting to be returned home, and Max and David swaying and dancing to The Beach Boys...all classic Disney film. The Flight of The Navigator is a sure fire hit with kids and kids at heart. If you've never taken in the adventure...well you need to!! 9/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.