Down by Law (1986) Poster

(1986)

No action, all mood – but it goes down like a cool beer on a hot summer evening
gogoschka-117 July 2014
A cult classic - and yet still relatively little known. Jim Jarmusch is a master when it comes to creating atmosphere (and nobody uses stretches of silence to better comedic effect than he does). Shot in beautiful black and white, this tale of three prisoners who make for very unlikely companions is all mood, deadpan humour and practically no action.

Don't expect a story - just enjoy the ride, the dialogues (consisting mainly of the word 'F***' - unless it's Benigni talking: his chaotic, broken English lines are another highlight of the film) and the fantastic soundtrack by John Lurie and Tom Waits. Perhaps the epitome of a cult movie, this one goes down like a cool beer on a hot summer evening (and as with all cult movies, it is best seen with an audience that already knows and loves the film). A minimalistic comedy masterpiece. 9 stars out of 10.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
57 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
atmospheric without much tension
SnoopyStyle7 July 2015
In New Orleans, Radio DJ Zack (Tom Waits) is berated by his girlfriend Laurette (Ellen Barkin) for losing his job. He gets $1000 to drive a car across town but the cops stop him and find a dead body in the trunk. Jack (John Lurie) is a pimp who is offered a new young white girl. Before he notices that she's underage, cops bust in and arrest him. They end up in the same cell and Roberto (Roberto Benigni) who speaks little English is brought in. He writes down phrases that strike him. He tells them that he's a card cheat who killed a man with the pool 8-ball. Then he leads them on a breakout.

The camera lingers in slow moving long continuous scenes. The sparse settings give a surreal feel to it all. Everything has a dreamlike quality. It has an interesting atmosphere but it doesn't have much tension which is Jim Jarmusch's style.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Pure Joy
gavin694216 January 2014
The story of three different men (Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Roberto Benigni) in a Louisiana prison and their eventual journey.

This film is a natural progression from "Stranger Than Paradise". Lurie returns as a lead, and the music of Screamin' Jay Hawkins is replaced with Tom Waits. If Hawkins and Waits know each other, I have no idea, but their music styles are not far removed.

Although Waits is among my favorite actors (he excels at playing villains), the standout performance here is Benigni. How much English he knew at the time I am not sure, but he brings a comic mischief to the film, and is the most light-hearted despite being potentially the most dangerous.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Subtle grace masquerades as jail-break film
sidereal27 December 1998
One of the most frequently heard criticisms of Jarmusch's work is that the pace is slow. I would like to make a case for patience. After all, if true beauty and grace were delivered in one massive hit, our poor brains and hearts would not withstand the blow. In Down By Law, Jarmusch invites us to take some time, some real time and devote it to getting deeply involved with his characters. Men in crisis. Misfits, jailbirds, heartbreakingly human. We accompany them on their journey, their escape from their confines. It is a truly epic journey on a small geographical scale. We watch as they begin to mirror one another, as their individual egos become inextricably enmeshed in one another. We watch a friendship form. And how can we begrudge the time Jarmusch takes for this glorious exposition? How can we do anything but marvel at the fine detail in which the scenes are drawn, at the subtle movements of our heroes? Every gesture signifies worlds of meaning and consequence. And Jarmusch does it better, with more skill and with more compassion than anyone. If you are prepared to get involved, if you are brave enough to commit to the journey, you will be rewarded with a kind of epiphany that few films can offer.
80 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another great movie by Jim Jarmusch
tim_age28 May 2002
I've seen a couple of Jarmusch movies and except for Dead Man (which I thought was an incredible bore), they were all great.

Down By Law is probably one his best known flicks and is a very good low budget movie. It features Tom Waits, who's not only a fine musician but proves to be a decent actor as well; John Lurie, who also wrote the excellent soundtrack (Waits delivered the opening and end-credits track btw); Roberto Benigni, who nowadays is most famous for directing the Oscar-winning Italian film "La Vita E Bella".

The movie deals about three guys who meet in prison and escape. It reminded me of "O Brother Where Are Thou?" and, perhaps because of it being filmed in black and white, of old 40's movies about escaping prisoners (can't think of a good example, but you get the picture).

Three things I liked very much about this movie:

1. It's incredibly funny, especially Benigni made me laugh every time he opened his mouth - He irritated me highly in "La Vita E Bella" so that must mean something....

2. The frame of the camera is very well used. Look at the scene where Lurie counts the money and a hooker is laying behind him on the bed and the scene after that. Another example is when Benigni is dancing with a lady and the other two guys are continuing their breakfast in the back.

3. It's very hard to pinpoint when the story takes place; it's timeless in more than one way, obviously helped by the lack of color.

All in all, this one comes highly recommended.
32 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant in every way
bejasus29 July 2005
I first saw Down By Law when it first came out, and loved it. I watched it again recently, and it really hasn't aged at all. In fact, it has gotten even better. I'm not sure there's another movie like it (unless the other Jarmusch ones are -- I haven't seen them). There are very few movies that spend so much time on character development that still have great plots. Like the "Big Easy" where it is filmed, this one takes its time but has an easy charm once the plot gets where it was going. The dialogue is wonderfully written, and better acted. Each scene is like a work of art in how it is staged. The soundtrack uses one of the best albums ever recorded, "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits, who stars. One of my all time favorites.
35 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fascinating filmmaking far away from Hollywood
andibert27 January 2004
Wow, what a movie. Far away from Hollywood, Jim Jarmusch creates a world where you don't need drama, pathos and action to fascinate the watcher. Because fascinating is exactly what this movie is. A plot in the classical sense is almost completely missing; the scenes, in their simplicity sometimes reminding of theater, follow each other without ever creating real suspense; neither griping action nor complex dialogues are there to excite the spectator. And still, with ease Jarmusch fills more than a hundred minutes with a story you won't take your eyes off. It is hard to tell what the atmosphere of the movie is really based on, the characters, the setting, entirely in black and white, the music - probably all of it. Again, like in Jarmusch's later movie "Dead man", speed is an important factor: everything moves slowly, without haste, as there is no dramatic climax you could hurry towards; yet, boring is a word that certainly doesn't fit this piece of cineastic art. On the other hand, though some of the scenes seem quite surrealistic, it is not a really artistic movie breaking with all the traditional concepts of filmmaking; it is more a movie in classic shape with an unconventional story, not trying to shock, to confuse or even to make you think so much; this movie doesn't need all this to get your complete attention. You could probably speculate a lot about the meaning of the movie; to me, this seems highly unnecessary. Just let it unfold its atmosphere. Judge yourselves, but I was excited in a very special way by every scene of this motion picture, giving me one of my best cineastic experiences of the recent time.
53 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Noire Fairy Tale: Surprised by Delight
jk-9618 March 2005
This movie was a total surprise to me. I'm sure it's very famous, but somehow had never seen it before. From the beginning scenes, I was expecting a gritty low life, wind up in the gutter, down and out kind of crime movie and that was fine with me, especially if set in New Orleans. At the same time there was a surprising freshness about it, that caught my attention, like a wake up call. Literally, there was writing on the wall that signaled "this is not that kind of movie!" The opening scenes reminded me of the opening of Sopranos -- the rolling shot of a neighborhood with an ominous sounding song in the background. (Were the Sopranos producers inspired by this film?) But once Roberto Benigni appeared on the scene, announcing that "Life is Sad and Beautiful" the whole story began to feel more like a strange fairy tale. Throughout the film, I appreciated the way the director took his time, letting the story evolve slowly, giving the characters time to develop their tenuous bonds. I could watch this again and again, knowing I would keep discovering hidden meanings, references, and ironies. Loved it!!!!
44 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
spoliers........ trust
shaunfogarty4 March 2004
Jim Jarmusch trusts his camera, his directing, his writing, and most of all his performers. This is a gem of a film, without pretense. The story and film just move, sluggishly chugging forward to an ending that is really more of a dissolve. The story is ultimately of little importance, just enough movement to show us a bit of the big jokester in the skies irony. I was struck by the similarity's to Dead Man, similarities quite aside the black and white photography. The enigmatic character at the center, the drifting in and out of the main characters, the use of the boat, the disposal of the usual plot devices, the cutting away of obvious scenes (like the "how' of the escape) I wish more films displayed this sort of ease with themselves. Great stuff, 8/10.
38 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bit slow at times, but generally good
FilmOtaku4 April 2005
One thing that I have always liked about Jim Jarmusch is that a lot of times he seems to use people whom you've either never heard of, or wouldn't expect to see acting in a film. His 1986 film "Down by Law" is no exception. The film tells the story of three men, Zack (Waits), Jack (Lurie) and Roberto (Benigni) who meet when they are put in the same jail cell at a New Orleans prison. All three men are different in terms of background; Zack is a serially employed radio DJ who is kicked out of the house by his girlfriend, only to run into a shady acquaintance that offers him $1,000 to drive a hot Jaguar to an undisclosed location in the city. Along the way he is stopped by the police and unfortunately, a body is found in the trunk of the Jag, which spells bad news for Zack and a quick trip to prison. Jack is a pimp who is set up by an associate of his; when he goes to meet a prospective "worker" in a hotel room, the police bust in, the lights go on and it turns out the woman is actually a young girl. Roberto's background is a little shadier, though murder factors into it. Roberto's command of the English language is comical and his naiveté and good mood are infectious, but the other two come to near blows either with each other or Roberto on more than one occasion, particularly after they manage to escape from prison, when they are forced to rely on one another to survive the swamps of Louisiana so they can escape prison, and one another, for good.

"Down by Law" is shot in wonderful black and white, which gives the film both a starkness and bare-bones feel. The music is also fantastic, with the instrumentals being performed by John Lurie and the songs by Tom Waits. Thirteen years before winning Best Actor for "Life is Beautiful", Beningi gives a great performance in this film; his charm and humor were incredibly apparent in this, his first American film. Tom Waits, a personal favorite of mine, most musically but also for his various movie roles, is a natural actor and did a great job in this film. John Lurie, whom I don't remember from other Jarmusch films I've seen, but apparently was in them gave a decent performance, though at times it was fairly wooden. I suspect that there was a good amount of improvisation throughout "Down by Law", but that didn't help some of its pacing problems. Though the photography of the film was wonderful, it couldn't help divert from the fact that there were times when the film really dragged for me, like Jarmusch had left the camera on and the principals were just kind of doing their thing, though not in a compelling manner.

Overall, however, I did enjoy "Down by Law" and it is a must-see for any Jarmusch fan. I would also recommend it for those who enjoyed Beningi's more recent performances, because he really seemed to have a lot of fun with this film, as did I, for the most part. 6/10 --Shelly
31 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant and awesome!
Peter Grunbaum19 December 2003
This is one of the best movies ever made. I cannot begin to emphasize how much heart is in it. It is really a story that transcends even realism and belongs to the realm of literature, music and art. One cannot claim to know anything about movies without having seen this one. It´s like Chaplin reading the classics of American literature. Nietzsche breathing the fresh desert air. Milton creeping into the left foot of Blake. Watch it! Watch it! Watch it!
21 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Early Jarmusch: awkward but heartwarming camaraderie in the America of vacant, overgrown lots and other such blight
Christopher Culver12 September 2015
Jim Jarmusch's DOWN BY LAW is one of the art-house productions that the American independent director made his name with in the 1980s.

At this point in his career, Jarmusch wanted to depict not the glitzy, glamorous America of Hollywood films, but rather the side no one ever talks about: vacant lots overgrown with weeds, the ramshackle homes of the working poor, and empty suburban streets. As the film opens, Jarmusch sets the stage by depicting New Orleans from this angle in a series of shots made from a moving car. Only then we see how a small-town pimp (John Lurie) and an itinerant DJ (Tom Waits) get themselves arrested after they've each accepted a job from a seedy friend. They subsequently end up sharing a jail cell, into which one day an Italian immigrant (Roberto Benigni) is also placed. The plot of the film is the developing camaraderie between these three men. The Italian's bumbling antics act initially aggravate his cellmates -- Benigni's role serve as comic relief against the morose behavior of the other two characters. DOWN BY LAW begins as a drama portraying the underbelly of a Louisiana town, but by the end it has transformed into absurdist comedy.

Lurie's acting is fine, representing his character convincingly as a pathetic d-bag. Benigni might seem like he's playing himself, but his English is reputedly much better than the broken phrases he offers in the film. Nicoletta Braschi appears as the Italian's love interest, a role that must have been easy to play since Benigni and her are married in real life. I've never thought Tom Waits was a great actor, however.

In terms of cinematography, this is a major step forward for Jarmusch. Bringing on cameraman Robby Müller, most famous for his work with Wim Wenders in the 1970s, Jarmusch shot many scenes with blatant diagonals and claustrophobic framing that suggests the prison in which these characters do time. It's certainly the most geometrically striking film of Jarmusch's career.

This is an entertaining film, with many fine touches. If I give it less than a rave, it's just because I can't completely get into these black and white portrayals of contemporary lowlifes (I have a problem with early Kaurismäki for the same reason--his aesthetic was very similar to Jarmusch's.) But I think this film has held up pretty well three decades after its release, and I'd recommend it for anyone looking to explore Jarmusch's work.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent early Jarmusch
The_Void17 April 2005
While his later and more acclaimed works such 'Night on Earth' and 'Dead Man' may well be better films, this is the one that catapulted Jim Jarmusch to the forefront of obscure American cinema in the 1980's, and aside from that fact; it's a hell of a lot of fun, and fans of Jarmusch, and just fans of obscure cool cinema in general will find lots to like about it. Treading a line between a classic prison movie and an odd comedy, Down by Law works on several levels. The premise of the film is simple, as we follow three rather different convicts that end up in the same cell in a penitentiary. Despite this being a simple base for a movie, Jim Jarmusch really makes the best of his premise and the three characters he has created to inhabit the jail cell are all unique enough to each other in order to make sure that the film is always interesting, and that the characters have a good chemistry with one another, so that the dialogue flows freely and that it's quirky nature is able to be revved up to the top.

Tom Waits, John Lurie and Roberto Benigni take the lead three roles and although the former two actors are no doubt good in their roles, as usual it is Benigni that steals the show. His over the top style fits his over the top character like a glove and although Benigni isn't the sort of actor that can adapt to many different roles; when he's got one that fits him, he's pretty much unbeatable. The film's plot starts out slow, and the first half hour in which two of the three leads are introduced isn't all that exciting. It's when the three men get put inside that Down by Law really starts, and every minute from then on is a pleasure. Like he would with Dead Man nine years later, Jarmusch has opted to film Down by Law in a very stark black and white, which, also like Dead Man, increases the surrealism and also helps the film in it's bid to beat the thin plot line with a very potent visual complexity, which will delight fans of this sort of movie. On the whole, Down by Law is an excellent example of offbeat US film-making and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
20 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
self-consciously cool
Michael Neumann14 November 2010
Jim Jarmusch's 'neo-beat-noir' follow-up to his quirky debut feature 'Strangers In Paradise' was the in-film for the in-crowd when first released: a hip-to-distraction ersatz comedy in which the only joke is that there is no joke. With his deadpan disdain for the Hollywood mainstream Jarmusch might be accused of being a cinematic rebel simply for the sake of rebellion, offering as his only alternative a numb new form of motion picture in which most of the motion as been deliberately discarded. The result is either an exhilarating departure from convention or a supreme test of patience, filmed in handsome high-contrast black and white and bolstered by a trio of likable if not exactly memorable characters: Jack, Zack and Bob the Italian, three misfits who meet in jail and subsequently escape into the Louisiana bayous. That's about it. Recommended for aficionados of tongue-in-cheek obscurantism.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cult-Indie for the Fans, Boring Film for the Others
Claudio Carvalho29 January 2010
In Louisianan, the girlfriend Laurette (Ellen Barkin) of the WYLD DJ Zack (Tom Waits) a.k.a. Lee Baby Simms has an argument and breaks with him. The upset Zack drinks booze on the street and his acquaintance Preston (Vernel Bagneris) offers US$ 1,500.00 to him to drive a Jaguar to the other side of the city. However, there is a man locked up in the trunk of the car and Zack is arrested and sent to the Orleans Parish Prison. Meanwhile the pimp Jack (John Lurie) is framed by his acquaintance Gig (Rockets Redglare) and is arrested in the same cell of Zack. When the Italian Roberto (Roberto Benigni) a.k.a. Bob that does note speak English very well is locked up in the same cell, the trio develops a strange friendship. Sooner Bob proposes a means of escape from prison and the trio shares a journey through the swamps of Mississippi.

"Down by Law" is a cult-indie for the fans and a boring film for the others. The cinematography in black and white is stylish, but why? The plot is quite original but uninteresting. Further I do not like the actor Roberto Benigni that used the idea of the screenplay of "Train de Vie" of Radu Mihaileanu that was offered to him to the lead role to write his awarded "La Vita è Bella". Therefore, I do not laugh of his gags and jokes. Maybe if I had seen this movie in 1986, I might have enjoyed more. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Down by Law"
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't understand...
partseasy9 November 2007
I don't understand directors that make movies for their own enjoyment. Sure, there are people that hide their mediocrity behind a veneer of intellectuality and praise the obviously bad just to distinguish themselves. Some of these people are called "critics" and their follower's syndrome is well illustrated by H.C. Andersen's tale: The Emperor's New Clothes. This movie is really not bad. If we forget the absence of color (why?!!!!) and the hopeless boredom that is a constant through out, it has some interesting moments. There is a reason why famous directors are famous. They actually make movies for people (as in human beings), they are entertaining and often improve your general knowledge. Movies like this... just bad.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful waste of time
Joropukki9 September 2006
This film had evaded me for two decades. I know people my age (nearing fifty) who swear by it. As it was to be shown on cable tonight, I opened a nice Aussie wine and started to watch. After a while I started to wonder whether it does kick off or not, and halfway thru it I just sat, glassy eyed, realizing it would not. Astonishingly amateurish, pointless and sluggish, with no storyline to mention, it left me wondering why it had been done. Guys paddling around in the swampland, watching the boat sinking sums it up. Looked like it had been made in Finland. Jarmusch must have been both depressed and feeling special when he concocted this soup. What strikes me after the ordeal of watching thru it, is that the film does not reflect its epoch at all. If Down by Law is a masterpiece, it's the autistic sort, not meaning to slander persons suffering from the same malady as the the movie. 2/10.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Save your time.
w3xh4k1023 March 2006
I guess something is wrong with me. I pretty much like Jarmush's movies, bit this one...I simply don't get. Having seen all the stellar ratings and having read all the reviews, I expected a good, ENVOLVING movie. Oh boy, was I wrong.

It is slow, so slow you can go and have some breakfast only to find out that it is still the same scene when you return. It's supposed to be deeply into character psychology -- but it's not. It's supposed to make you think deep thoughts, but it doesn't.

Indeed, you can sit in your bedroom, stare at the old white cracked ceiling and reminiscence, but that doesn't mean that the ceiling has any artistic value. The same goes for this movie. You can "read into" it as much as you want, but it's you, not Jarmush. This movie is, in fact, totally void of any content. And yes, the emperor is, in fact, naked.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Dissenting Opinion
gelman@attglobal.net7 November 2005
Without Roberto Benigni, this movie would be an utter wasteland. The characters played by Tom Waits and John Lurie are not very interesting, and neither actor makes a very strong impression in this viewer's opinion. I'm not sure where this falls in Benigni's film career, pretty early in his English language films, I would think, but his comic talents are all that saves this movie from being utterly forgettable instead of merely absurd. I couldn't care less what happened to the Waits or Lurie characters, and Benigni's finding Nicoletta Braschi operating a restaurant on a Louisiana road that no one seems to travel is beyond improbable. But the chemistry between them is unmistakable (as it is in other movies and in real life), and it's all that saves the movie from being utterly dump-worthy. Jim Jarmusch is usually off-beat, and some of his movies succeed better than others. (Or to look at it another way, some of his films fail more completely than others.) Without Benigni, this would easily qualify as the worst Jarmusch film I've ever seen -- and I've seen a lot of them
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very boring and incredibly slow-moving
gnovak-27 August 2007
Most viewers seem to be enthralled by this film, but I just don't get it. The picture is incredibly slow-moving and the whole story is pretty boring. I thought those scenes in the jail would never end. This film needs a lot more action and a lot more character development. Nothing much ever seems to happen in the movie, and much of the dialog is muddy and very hard to make out. The actors just seem plain bored and going through the motions. The viewer never seems to figure out exactly how these men manage to escape, it just mysteriously happens. They just happen to stumble upon a lady with a house and plenty of food for all, who speaks fluent Italian. Give me a break! This film is a pathetic fantasy and has nothing at all to do with reality or any meaningful commentary on the human condition. It is vastly over-rated. I hope this film is not in any way representative of the typical independent films that are being shown and honored every year at Sundance. If so, I am happy to stay away.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jim Jarmusch may be an acquired taste, but he's an interesting acquired taste.
Lee Eisenberg23 March 2006
Admittedly, "Down by Law" is definitely not for everyone. The movie is deliberately slow, there's no heart-pounding action or slapstick comedy, and certainly no "top stars" (although you could say that Roberto Benigni has since become one). Set in New Orleans, it portrays three men - Zack (Tom Waits), Jack (John Lurie), and Roberto (Benigni) - who get put in jail together. All these men were always sort of down on their luck: Zack was framed for murder, Jack was found with an under-aged girl, and Roberto was involved in a murder. Anyway, the three of them escape from jail and have to cooperate to survive while on the lam. But even when they manage to break free from each other, there remains the question of each man's future.

Like I said, this is not for everyone; Jim Jarmusch is certainly an acquired taste. Many people will probably find the movie boring. But for me, it's a good representation of American independent cinema. Also starring Nicoletta Braschi, playing an Italian woman named Nicoletta.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
overindied
Ben Hendricks29 January 2004
Jim Jarmusch seems to have his own devoted little following, and I can appreciate that. And really, I liked Dead Man a lot. The sparse action/dialogue created a really interesting atmosphere that fit well with the subject matter. Really, an innovative movie. But Down By Law, using the same techniques (which are less appropriate here), feels boring, flat, student-filmy. There's no reason this movie should be so long. Really broad acting does not go well with long pauses between lines.

Benigni is fun, as always. He's the only thing worthwhile, to me, and he isn't in it for very long. What was Jim's aim here? I don't know. It's painfully slow, not bad bad, but I wouldn't recommend it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the son of the pink panther
the_crock3 August 2005
This isn't your normal prison movie, nor by any stretch your normal American comedy. Make no mistake if your favourite movies are Hollywood by numbers, you will be confused and bored by this great piece of cinema. Tom waits stars as Zack, a DJ who ends up in jail for murder after being set up. John Lurie is Jack, a pimp who also gets set up. They bond uncomfortably in a Louisiana jail, before Italian comedic genius Roberto Benigni comes in and changes there world. Waits and Lurie are brilliant, they both completely become low level hoods, but its Benigni as usual who is the colour of this Black and White film. He is the heart and soul that these two losers never knew they had. They eventually escape and are then lost in the bayou for too long. The movie is less about what they do, and more about the journey that these two hoods have following this effervescent Italian. This is so different to the normal Hollywood comedy, that I can understand most people will not like it, but the gruff demeanour of Waits and Lurie are in beautiful contrast to the stunning black and white cinematography and the great Robert Benigni. Jim Jarmusch takes his time, and as usual delivers something worth waiting for.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THIS is supposed to be a comedy ?!
Maziun6 September 2013
I don't understand . I don't understand why some really great and really funny movies are rated by IMDb voters below 7.0 , while such unfunny piece of s*** gets a high rating. I really don't know. Before you throw tomatoes at me , please hear me out. I consider myself a guy with sense of humor. I like different kinds of comedy . I like Charlie Chaplin , Buster Keaton , Harold Lloyd , Benny Hill , Eddie Murphy , Rodney Dangerfield , Chevy Chase , Monty Python , Police academy , Wes Anderson movies ,Billy Wilder movies, some black comedy , cartoons and many others . I've seen only one Jarmusch movie before this one ("Broken flowers") and I liked it . I was expecting something good from this one too. Especially considering the praise I've heard from many people.

This ? This is BORING . BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING . I don't remember when was the last time I saw something so lifeless . Not to mention I fail to see where the jokes are . Really. I've seen this twice and I honestly haven't found a single funny thing . I regret that Jarmusch didn't put the fake laughs (just like in those American sitcoms)into the movie , so I would at least know what he thought was a good joke . And why this is black and white ? What's the point ? "Raging bull" and "Sin city" are black and white for reason. Here ? I don't know . Maybe so Jarmusch could pretend this is some "artistic" movie. Maybe he did this movie to show what a rebel he is.

I liked Tom Waits songs . I also have to admit that acting is solid. The characters are likable. It doesn't change the fact that it's a completely pointless movie . Watch it only if you're insomniac. I give it 1/10.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simple But Memorable
Joseph Sylvers12 June 2008
Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Roberto Begnini share a Louisianna prison cell together, and a prison escape film, with all of the actual escape parts cut out. Funny, wonderful performances, stunning black and white cinematography, great music, a human story, an oddly heart warming ending about people coming together and moving apart. There's subtle poetics at work here, with all of Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, references, but somehow it all falls together naturally. Still though I appreciated it more than I actually enjoyed it, but with time I can see myself coming back in the future. Great dry comedy, and beautiful everyday images.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this