Weird Science (1985) Poster

(1985)

THE 80's comedy
chvylvr8015 October 2003
Weird Science is the best 80's comedy that was ever made. I'm saying it. Ghostbusters, Summer Rental, The Great Outdoors, Strange Brew, Gung Ho, Mr. Mom, all of these movies have their place, but none of them can match Weird Science for laughs or pure....eightiesness. Yes eightiesness is a quality. It's a corny, dated quality but one that is tangible and valued by my fellow eighties loving brethren to this day. Come back with me if you will to a time when Anthony Michael Hall was still fielding calls and Kelly LeBrock was French for sexy.

Weird Science has everything that an eighties comedy needs: A least one hot girl, a few actors who are no longer working or who do anything that will come along, plenty of dashing eighties threads, a corny as hell eighties soundtrack,(and Oingo Boingo is as corny and eighties as they get), and plenty of cheap funny jokes.

Undoubtedly the best thing about Weird Science is Bill Paxton, who plays Wyatt's older brother Chet. Chet is the worst big brother ever to grace a movie screen and is a role model for all big brothers everywhere, me included. Chet delights in extorting money and valuables from Wyatt in exchange for his silence about Wyatt's activities. The best part in the movie is when Chet gets turned into the toad thing or whatever it is. Man I love that part.

The rest of the cast does a good job of being their stock characters. Kelly LeBrock does a good job of being hot. Robert Downey Jr. shows none of the signs of future drug addiction. The film is unremarkable in the fact that it isn't anything groundbreaking or special. It's just a funny movie. And an eighties classic.

Bottom Line: If you grew up in the eighties and you never saw Weird Science then you must atone for your crimes by going out and buying it right now. Then send me an email telling me how grateful you are that I put you on the path to rightousness and eighties correctness.
84 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funky Teen Sci-Fi (spoilers)
Pepper Anne8 August 2004
80s! I'm living in the 80s! If you love 80s teen movies, then Weird Science ought to be in your catalogue. It is one of director John Hughes most memorable, and one of the 80s most original.

Written in two days, this is a teen science fiction film, the story of two teenage loners, Wyatt (the always grimacing Ilan-Mitchell Smith) and Gary (Anthony Michael Hall before he went deadpan) and their weird way of discovering girls. A variation on Frankenstein, the teenagers create a beautiful woman (the super cool Kelly LeBrock) using their computer and some clever hacking skills (of course, it's exaggerated). Their creation is Lisa, the chic English accent woman who brings a little life to the subtle Illinois suburb. As the antithesis of both Wyatt and Gary's personalities, she's going to show these boys a little adventure, get them to loosen up, and for crying out loud, gain some self-esteem.

Because Lisa is a lady with some supernatural power like freezing grandparents in time, erasing the memory of a bad first impression with Gary's parents, turning Wyatt's obnoxious military school brother Chet (Bill Paxton in his funniest, most arrogant role yet) into a giant pus maggot, or even having a gang of mutant bikers storming a house party. And Lisa's greatest gift to the boys: showing them true love by helping them along to meet the two girls they've been after all along, their high school classmates, Deb and Hilly, who are unfortunately hung up on the dweeb bullies, Max (Robert Russler) and Ian (Robert Downey, Jr.). So essentially, it deals with many aspects of teen angst (but more like just teen self-esteem or self-consciousness issues) within one story. Parents, class status (done subtly here as opposed to Some Kind of Wonderful or Pretty in Pink), relationships, etc. It works well, and is done quite humorously.

One of my favorite scenes is when the trio (Lisa, Gary, and Wyatt) go to the night club looking pretty out of place (they're not only the only white people there, but probably the only ones under thirty). Once Anthony Michael Hall's character, Gary, gets drunk and starts with his slang, it's hilarious. Reminds me a little of Adventures in Babysitting when the gang drops in on the club and they're not allowed to leave until they sing. So eventually, they loosen up and have a little fun.

It's a wonderful movie with a classic John Hughes comic touch (says the mutant biker to Gary and Wyatt after they threaten to kill them if they don't leave, "Please don't tell anyone about this. I'd hate to lose my teaching job.). Plus, it's got a great soundtrack, featuring Killing Joke, Lords of the New Church, and Oingo Boingo doing the title song. The music video for it was fantastic, and not only features clips from the movie, but Kelly LeBrock herself in Oingo Boingo's own rendition of creating the woman via technology.

Although not one of John Hughes' best (I think Sixteen Candles is still his greatest), it is certainly one of his most memorable and one that I will love no matter how old I get. So have yourself a lazy Saturday, pop in the movie, and enjoy.
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Essential Viewing for the 80s generation
Will27 December 1998
Weird Science is the product of the prolific '80s' writer/director John Hughes (who later went on to create films such as 'Home Alone'). This man single-handedly crafted movies about teenagers for teenagers, without ever becoming patronising or authoritative. Weird Science epitomises the 80s with its fast cars, shoulder pads and big hair. To be honest, Weird Science is synonymous with that decade and reflects most if not all, of its hopes and aspirations (computers in every home, robotic servants etc.). Looking back on it now it's incredibly dated, however and more importantly, the film is still as entertaining today as it was over ten years ago!

Anyone who grew up in the 80s and is beginning to reminisce will instantly relate to the exploits of the two lead characters Gary (Anthony Michael Hall) and Wyatt (Ilan Mitchell-Smith), as they use their computer and associated paraphernalia to create a beautiful girlfriend (Kelly LeBrock). Although not Hughes' best work, this was reserved (in my opinion) for the later 'Ferris Beuller's Day Off' which was far more appealing to a wider audience - Weird Science will always be a 'Geeky' 80s classic. The film was so popular it spawned it's own TV series - ten years later!

Unless you lived through that decade the film won't touch you in quite the same way. You needed to have been in awe of Tron, to have worn stone washed jeans and to have owned at least two pairs of illuminous [odd] socks, to really appreciate the naivety of the main characters as they place their faith in computers and 'modern' technology.

Today to a younger - more clued up audience, Weird Science could get lost amongst so many other 80s flicks with inferior technology and visual special FX to today's CGI standards. However there is something quintessentially 80s, something oh so Duran Duran about Weird Science that separates it from even the best of today's films. It's that central 'Hughes' element with its visual nuances and audible gags that makes this a timeless classic, watchable again and again.

If you know what 'ghetto blaster' is definitely watch this film, if you were born after 1984 take everything with a pinch of salt and pay attention - you might learn something.
67 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bill Paxton is unleashed to audiences
Dan Grant2 February 2000
I'm not sure how many people really read these reviews in IMDb but if there are people out there like me that enjoy this forum quite a bit, then they will know that I have loved Bill Paxton's work forever. I can tell you he was in Stripes and he was one of the punks in Terminator and he even had a small role in Commando. His three best films in my opinion are True Lies, Aliens and his classic turn as Chet in Weird Science. Anyone that has seen this film will tell you that they loved it when Chet comes home to find it snowing in his room. Or how fun it was to watch him torture Wyatt by extorting money from him. "For Christ sakes Wyatt will you cover yourself! " Bill Paxton may be best known for his work in James Cameron films but it is John Hughes that we have to thank for unleashing him onto audiences with this amazing turn as Chet Donnelly. He is the meanest, nastiest older brother and yet he is screamingly funny. Bill Paxton had a cameo in a film called The Last Supper years later and his character really could have been a grown up Chet. But it is here that we get to laugh at some of Paxton's best work. Weird Science is one hell of a funny film and John Hughes is responsible for that, but if Chet wasn't played by Bill Paxton then it just wouldn't have been the same.

As the film goes, it is quite good. I don't believe it is Hughes' best, that honour, in my opinion, goes to The Breakfast Club, but it is very very entertaining. And as one reviewer said before me, you had to have grown up in the 80's to really appreciate this film. And underneath all of what this film is about, it is still just a film about the insecurities of being a teen, getting the girl and living happily ever after. I think Hughes may have been writing the script for Sixteen Candles, stopped in the middle of it and then took acid with Chevy Chase or John Candy and then came up with this idea because some of the situations really are right out of nowhere.

Take for example the actual creation of Lisa. The two geeks hook up a doll to the game of Operation?? and then with bras around their heads, they connect the computer and then lightning and winds invade their room and then Kelly LeBrock walks out of their closet. Acid for sure.

Then there is the scene with Vernon Wells and his biker buddies. A highschool house party and then a bunch of guys on motorcycles straight out of Mad Max breaks into the house and starts to terrorize the kids. Acid trip for sure.

Acid aside, Weird Science is a trip through time. If you were born in the 70's and went to highschool in the 80's like I did, then you are probably familiar with the name John Hughes, and if you are then you are probably a fan of most of his work. Along with Ferris, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club and some of his adult films like Planes Trains... She's Having a Baby and even Vacation, Weird Science is a film that should be seen again. It is 15 years old and perhaps people can say it is dated some, but to me it is a throwback to what films were like in the 80's. This film is fun, hysterical and enjoyable. And it has Bill Paxton in one of the funniest roles in any career. This is a fun film and if you haven't seen this in quite some time, then maybe you should.

8 out of 10
48 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
80's 80's 80's
mm-3917 April 2002
God bless the 80's, and may they live on way after their time! This film captures the 80's geeks, preps, and class rivalry. It was a hard time to fit in, but a fun time, like most teenagers, I had these fantasies that this movie reflects on. I can not believe they got Wes from the Road Warrior to do a part. The scene where the computer animated women talks to Michael Halls parent is hilarious, but sick. The stuff going out of the chimney, the MX missile, and the kitchen turning blue is funny. Bill Paxion or chet is a classic wait and see what happens to him. Anyways rent it live it and be it! 8/10
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best comedies I've ever seen.
loucifersucks6 January 2005
This is a story of 2 boys who create a super cool woman. The most funny thing is that these boys are total losers. They are oppressed by the society. Lisa - the cool fictional woman - teaches them how to become popular and brings out their best qualities. The good story combined with the excellent jokes and awkward situations creates a very nice setting for a true comedy. The characters are very well "constructed". One of the most important features of this movie is that it teaches people to be brave.

I watched this movie as a child and i loved it. My opinion is that this should be a classic not just a mere comedy of the 80's. I hope all who watch the movie will be very satisfied with it :)
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That's not a joke! THAT is a severe behavioral disorder!
cwbellor31 August 2012
Does a movie need definitive plot points or events that move the characters forward? No! Weird Science proves that a movie need be nothing more than a series of jokes and visual gags. But Weird Science is also a movie with a message. That message – horny boys and science is a wicked combination. Once you see John Hughes' masterpiece about Frankensex, you will be asking yourself why you ever quoted The Breakfast Club. I sense you doubting that Weird Science effectively taps into the troubled teen psyche with sincerity and insight. Well consider the following. A bodacious babe is front and center with Einstein's intellect and essence of David Lee Roth. A teenage girl is stripped naked by a vacuum cleaner chimney – which is okay cuz it's in the name of science. Bill Paxton is reduced to a Jim Hensonesque troll! A giant phallic missile penetrates a suburban house. Still not convinced? Well, just watch the last half hour. A gang of road ragers crashes the obligatory 80s teen party, do donuts all over the floors and smack random guys in the crotch. Bennet from Commando asks the heroes if they have tossed off to any good books lately and Anthony Michael Hall get's all Dirty Harry on their uninvited post- apocalypse asses. This is a work of unparalleled brilliance and sophistication. It's got Robert Downey Jr. in it too!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really Good
abhilash723 December 2003
One of the best fantasy/sci-fi movies ever. Also a good 80's flick. A lot of very funny jokes and laughs. Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-Smith do a good job playing nerds and are hilarious. Kelly LeBrock as the cyber girl Lisa, is hot. A feel good 80's movies written by the master John Hughes. A must see. They wouldn't be able to make a movies like this these days. I love the 80's.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Weird Science
Jackson Booth-Millard15 February 2009
From writer/director John Hughes (The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off) I had a vague idea of what this film consisted of, and I was pretty close. Basically two nerdy teenage boys, Gary Wallace (The Breakfast Club's Anthony Michael Hall) and Wyatt Donnelly (Ilan Mitchell-Smith) are desperate to be liked, and of course sex-obsessed, and in their desperation (inspired by watching - a coloured version of - Frankenstein, 1931) they decide to create the perfect woman. They weren't counting on the computer gaining so much power it would actually make their woman a reality, but it happens, and Lisa (Kelly LeBrock) is determined to help them have a good time. Lisa, who can get absolutely anything she wants (e.g. expensive cars, mutant bikers to appear) has a purpose to turn them into men by putting them in a couple of situations to boost their confidence, and they are on the road to becoming accepted by others. Of course it is at the big party (they always wanted) they meet the girls they would have always wanted, and Lisa's job is done. Also starring Bill Paxton as Chet Donnelly, Suzanne Snyder as Deb, Judie Aronson as Hilly, young Robert Downey Jr. as Ian, Robert Rusler as Max, Commando's Vernon Wells as Lord General, Britt Leach as Al Wallace, Barbara Lang as Lucy Wallace, Ivor Barry as Henry Donnelly, Ann Coyle as Carmen Donnelly and the original Hills Have Eyes' Michael Berryman as Mutant Biker. LeBrock is obviously very attractive, and there are one or two amusing moments, but the comedy is pretty crass, but it was interesting to see younger Paxton and especially future star Downey, Jr. in a film of this sort. It was number 42 on The 100 Greatest Sexy Moments. Okay!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Total fun!
Stealth-51 January 2001
WEIRD SCIENCE was a great movie made in the mid 80s.The cast is pretty cool,it is fairly well acted,and its total fun! The film develops nicely from beginning nearly till the end,the last 15 minutes of the film are rather unnecessary.Although not the best 80s film out,it is a great imaginary film,with pretty cool SFX. Bill Paxton did an exceptionally well performance,i had total fun watching this movie,you will too!

7.5 out of 10
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great comic premise gone unrealized...
moonspinner5520 May 2006
John Hughes scraping bottom: two teen boys invent a busty, sexy brunette with their home-computer, resulting in hormone-crazed comic chaos. What might've been a likably goofy slapstick ride has become a tasteless, witless affair aimed at sniggering juveniles. It is far worse than the usual sex-related teen shenanigans, which not even Anthony Michael Hall's affable charm can rescue. Kelly LeBrock, with her pouty lips and deep, guttural laugh, is definitely game, but she's used as a sight-gag, a prop, and Hughes can't even work up a genuine character for her to play. Even for low-rent tastes, the final joke is jaw-dropping. NO STARS from ****
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fun 80s.
schauweckerpsx28 April 2002
I rented WEIRD SCIENCE almost three years ago. It was a five day rental, and I watched it like seven times! It was a movie thats fun to watch. You can watch it over and over aguin and it would still be fun. I think all teens and pre-teens should love this movie.
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Failing Science
Jonny_Numb21 July 2010
The most fiendish trick of John Hughes' filmography is the manner in which he takes patent untruths about society's outcasts (usually within the realm of high school, his preferred battleground) and weaves them into something that successfully deceives the viewer into thinking otherwise. I'm not complaining, since his commitment to character usually overrides all else, making even the most contrived leaps of faith engaging. Unfortunately, his commitment to character takes a turn for the disastrous in "Weird Science," easily his worst film. Two shrill, unlikeable high-school losers, frustrated over their inability to score with chicks, decide to create one of their own (through some laughably awful 1985 computer technology), in the form of vacant Playboy centerfold Kelly LeBrock. But hey: these shrill, unlikeable losers (who would be justifiably subjected to beatings by their own nerdy peers) really just need to face the fact that a little confidence is all it takes to impress the ladies (and stand up to your sadistic, Army-brat brother)! I have come to expect the contrived, 20-minute opening setup that frames the remainder of a Hughes film, but the setup for "Weird Science" is non-existent; in its place is a gimmick: a glut of special effects and out-of-place action (in the third act, a bunch of bikers out of "Mad Max" terrorize our hapless losers) that tears any possible humanity to shreds. It's not spoiling anything to say that the losers get with their respective hotties in the end (and are much more worldly, sensitive guys than the horndogs we first met), but the manner by which Hughes arrives at this conclusion rings so patently false it's infuriating.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Appalling sexist junk
John Seal5 December 2005
As all of the negative reviews for this abysmal film are stuck at the back of the review section, I thought I'd better try and get a more balanced comment at the front end. We'll see where my comments end up! Whilst I am by no means a big John Hughes fan, some of his films are enjoyable as popcorn flicks. This is not one of them. Michael Weldon's Psychotronic Video Guide indicates that Hughes wrote this in two days, and it shows. With few exceptions, Weird Science is devoid of humor and is repulsively chauvinist. The genesis of the lads 'dream woman' is laughably presented and the result--Kelly LeBrock--would surely have lead to a notation of 'must do better' on their science class term paper. The only redeeming factors are the performance of Bill Paxton as an abusive older brother and Michael Berryman as a motorcycle gang member. Unless you think boys fantasizing about breast size whilst wearing bras on their heads is funny, give this one a wide berth.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What was John Hughes thinking?
Tim-17724 June 1999
When this movie first came out, the reviewer in my local newspaper began his review with "This offensive mess..." and finished by giving it an F minus. He was being way too generous. So was Leonard Maltin when he gave it 1 and 1/2 stars, although his use of the word "appalling" is pretty much on target. The boys wear jock straps on their heads; the sadistic older brother/military school cadet refers to the 2 main characters as donkey genitalia (not a direct quote; I'm too much of a gentleman to use the correct word here and if I did use it, it would probably be expurgated); and one character gets turned into a three-foot-tall clod of steaming manure (how symbolic). The TV series on which this movie was based was marginally better; possibly because the censors were on duty. John Hughes wrote this thing in two days? I'm not surprised. This is the worst piece of garbage I've ever seen. Take my advice and pass this by; THERE IS NOTHING WORTH SEEING IN THIS WRETCHED EXCUSE FOR A MOVIE!
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing outing from Hughes
Stampsfightclub30 March 2010
Lonely teenagers Wyatt (Mitchell-Smith) and Gary (Hall) decide to make a woman that fits all their requirements from a computer, only to find not everything fits perfectly.

There were two words that attracted me to this high school comedy, John and Hughes. The mastermind behind the conceptual excellence of skiving school to live in Ferris Bueller's day off to the film that showcased how teenagers really felt about their suffocating parents in the Breakfast club, the man seemed to have his knowledge spot on regarding teenage life.

What emerges is a pretty standard and very degrading depiction of lonely lust, containing two teenagers who are the good guys, but are hard pushed to maintain that.

Anthony Michael Hall, a hero from the Breakfast Club, feels repetitive and loud in another role for Hughes. Mitchell-Smith likewise feels weak and a stereotype of high school repression and against Hall, we have the most conventional and boring comedy duo ever mastered, which is a great shame for a director and writer who also created some of the best teenage comedy ever.

The premise for the story sounds promising, two lads attempt to break science through some technological mastery in an attempt to fulfil their lust on a weekend away from their parents.

So after some degrading and embarrassing perversion by the lead duo on cheerleaders and a head turner away from dropped pants do the duo retreat to their sanctuary and form an hyperbole of illogical science to fulfil their uses and gratifications. Through some fast flowing wires and a bemused science guard to the pair get their just deserts.

One thing John Hughes usually does perfectly is introductions and Kelly LeBrock's opening shot is the equivalent of Megan Fox in Transformers, a slow panning from her legs upwards in a small Barbie styled costume, a beautiful introduction which is maintained through the nest few scenes as she jumps into the shower with the two lads, uses provocative gestures such as late drinking and kissing practice to keep any horny male teenager hooked.

Certainly LeBrock hits the nail on the head, acting flirtatious and forward to justify her character as perfect female, until the inevitable outcome the plot always has in mind, there is more to a person than looks tag.

Through some careful shots and repetitive music we see the story pan out as any other romantic comedy would and there are minimal surprises to generate a good watch, particularly when the humour is gross out and shamefully degrading to the actors.

The final nail in the coffin is the change in personalities of the final act and as predictable as the coming of next year will have you shaking your head.

Certainly not too much consequence came from this film as there were Ferris Bueller's amongst others to follow and create a reputation of teenage comedy mastery.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
John Hughes made this crap?
el_Vasco17 August 2006
I find it unbelievable that John Hughes, director of comedy classics like Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club, actually wrote and directed this piece of junk. There is no justification for this movie; the humor is painfully weak (minus a few scenes namely involving Kelly LeBrock) and the acting terrible, while only at about 1h 20min it felt about half an hour too long. All the crashing, yelling and screaming grew so tedious by the end that I was left wondering why I didn't flick it off half way through. I guess I was expecting something genuinely funny or interesting to happen. I don't think it should matter that I saw this movie 21 years after it came out, because The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off were superb films made within a year of Weird Science.

I'm sorry to say this about a Hughes film (obviously set in Chicago, Shermer High School), but avoid this movie at all costs.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best
toffeeman20021 October 2003
This is a film that I grew up with, anybody who gives a rating other than 10 was either born to late, or has no sense of humour, along with the likes of The Lost Boys, Stand By Me and The Goonies, this movie is an absolute classic, and will always remain an absolute classic. (In my opinion at least) :-)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
perfect teenage geek film
yagey19 June 2000
John Hughes does it again!

This is his greatest film to date, especially if you were part of the 80's flair and style, and even more so if you have ever wanted to bring Kelly LeBrock into your bedroom!

Watch Wyatt and Gary design their 'perfect' woman on Wyatt's Apple Lisa (hence the character name) and break into DataNet to make her super intelligent with a side effect of magical powers.

How about a beautiful female genie when you are a teenage computer geek? Yep, the fun is a-plenty.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredibly Stupid
shawn_m_roeder19 November 2017
I was a young teenager in the eighties and I remember all of my schoolmates raving about this movie. Maybe I would have liked it if I watched it then. I really enjoy some of John Hughes other films. I finally watched this for the first time.The acting is wooden, the jokes are lame, and the premise is incredibly stupid. The movie is also very dated as my two teenage children could not make it through 20 minutes of this movie.

The special effects are decent for the time, but movies do not hold up solely on the strength of their special effects. If you know the time period, you will understand how movies like this got made back then. You also understand and are thankful that they do not make them like this anymore.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The illogical and wild side of the John Hughes coming-of-age films
Movie_Muse_Reviews28 August 2011
Even when John Hughes makes a mediocre film such as "Weird Science," the nature of his intent still shines through, to the point where you can't necessarily fault him for anything except not making a better one. "Weird Science" serves as the ultimate 1980s high school nerd fantasy, one in which babes see social awkwardness as a turn-on and bullies and extortionist older brothers help themselves to large servings of humble pie. The movie truly doesn't need to be anything more, even in spite of the shallowness of its characters and general disregard for logic.

Anthony Michael Hall (in his fourth Hughes film in three years) and Ilan Mitchell-Smith star as two losers who determine that if they can't get girls the "old-fashioned" way that they can use their computer smarts to play Frankenstein and create the ideal woman. After some illegal hacking they pack her with a high IQ (and an appropriate breast size) then hook a doll up to a machine. One crazy storm inside their house later and suddenly there's Lisa (Kelly LeBrock), who's every bit as stunning with a type A personality as a nerd could possibly imagine or desire.

The story then goes the unexpected route. Lisa, equipped with mad street smarts and magic powers, literally takes over the driver's seat and the young Gary and Wyatt for a wild ride. After helping them loosen up a bit, she determines they need a few tests to find the courage they need to stand up to bullies and go after the girl.

Hughes determines that Lisa needs no rhyme or reason other than causing an appropriate amount of mischief so the boys can learn a valuable thing or two. She's the fairy godmother of this fantasy; it's one thing to stand up to your parents, for example, and tell them you're going to a party, and it's another to have a hot model do it for you (and cause your father to forget who you are).

Hughes basically sticks it to everyone who made his life crappy during his teens, though to be fair, he recognizes the nerd's shortcomings and doesn't paint them as heroes. Hughes has always played things close to the chest, filming most of his movies in the Chicago suburbs where he grew up, even naming the high school in "Weird Science" after the main road where his actual high school was. In this film he has absolute loony fun with his usual tropes, going as far as turning Bill Paxton, who plays Wyatt's militaristic older brother Chet, into a steaming pile of crap that looks like Jabba the Hut.

Fans of the more romantic side of Hughes, who love his candid nature toward portraying high schoolers, might find "Weird Science" to be the wild mutt of the family with its irreverence, and high level of silliness. It could be considered the "cult favorite" of the Hughes collection and that's fine. It definitely caters to those who can relate to being a socially outcast teenage boy and not too many others, but by no means is it a slip-up for the coming-of-age master.

~Steven C

Visit my site at http://moviemusereviews.com
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"It was written in 2 days".. Well, IT SHOWS !
elshikh417 December 2009
I love (John Hughes). I love buddy comedies. I love fantasy. And indisputably I love the 1980s. BUT I don't love this John Hughes's buddy comic fantasy from the 1980s !!

The 1980s got many movies with a gifted magical woman to a disturbed man. Just recall (Xanadu – 1980), (Splash – 1984), (Mannequin – 1987) or (My Stepmother Is an Alien – 1988). However (Weird Science) is in the bottom of this list for sure.

I didn't feel anything that comic. Maybe the scene with the kid talking in the bar like an old drunken lover. Everything is swift and not in a solid way. The movie is sometimes sluggish and all the time poor. The imagination isn't crazy enough, and the solutions are so easy (the guys will be brave by facing some mad max bikers who appear suddenly ??, the hard brother will be softer by turning into a huge disgusting frog ??,..). Simply, the hastiness ruled. Let alone that the fake frog's level was awful, the dealing with the grandfathers was mean, and even Kelly LeBrock looked not amusing enough or sexy enough.

Nothing by (John Hughes) was as low as this ever. To tell you the truth I was thinking for most of the time that this was a work of copycats, doing a bad job at it too. Nonetheless the performance, couple of lines, plus some real wacky moments (when the imagination is fresh) saved the day. Almost saved it!

I think the deep innocent tone of it, the wisdom of "she is all what I wanted of a woman before knowing the woman I wanted", and the showing of some teenagers' dreams so dreamy were the good points that may ensure a place in us to respect or even love the movie. Add to that, the effective sense of nostalgia which doesn't come from the 1980s fact only, but from what happened to the teen comedies after (being mucous, seminal and emetic). So compared to them (Weird Science) is the morning cartoon ! However, this time I felt that these dirty comedies got something, I don't know what, maybe more interesting than what this 80s comedy got. It could be the polished look, teenager-like leads more than kids, a sexual boldness, or funny stuff??

Generally : Naive fun, but naively made. A melted ice cream. Or a practical translation of how Hughes's first drafts seem !
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Longevity - still funny today. John Hughes is masterful.
Carver-329 January 1999
For anyone who spent their pre/early teens in the late '80s, this film made a huge impact. Its fantastical theme was still somewhat believable at that age, while the sexual energy was beginning to steam ahead full throttle. Another triumph for the great John Hughes, and a high point for Anthony Michael Hall.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movie Within the Movie
tedg5 July 2004
Spoilers herein.

We all live in our own movies. Most Hughes films deal with adolescent elements of this in simpler ways than here. In this case, we have a movie about two kids who create their own `movie."

All the humor is movie humor: characters from another movie invade for instance.

The problem is that Hughes usually plays it both ways: he demonstrates how artificial the imaginings of the teen are and at the same time sucks us into the warm sweetness of those same imaginings. The fulcrum is usually Molly Ringwald who knew to support this enterprise, I presume intuitively. She made Hughes a success, not the other way around.

And isn't that what this is all about?

7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this