That Was Then... This Is Now (1985) Poster

Good, but ruined by the ending
lauren55895 January 2003
"That Was Then...This Is Now" followed the book relatively closely up until the last scenes. I thought the acting could have been better, and I think it would have been a better movie if they had left it in the time period the book was in. Despite this, I thought it was pretty good, and I liked it until the last few scenes. The book was so powerful and real in the last chapters- and the movie took all of this out. I thought it would have been a good ending- for a whole different movie, for "That Was Then...", it was wrong, and in my opinion ruined the movie.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Estevez's best early performances
DunnDeeDaGreat14 July 2002
That Was Then... This Is Now is one of the best early performances of Emilo Estvez as a writer and actor. Estevz brings Mark to life they way S.E.Hinton intened by being brutal and cut throat in his performace. All of the actors in the film give equally good performacnes in particular Morgan Freemen and Craig Sheffer. A underlooked gem.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The movie was okay, but the book was better"
pbarron-15 February 2003
In English class, we read S.E. Hinton's saga of teenage angst. The students were enthralled with the story. While the setting was from years past, the ethical questions raised and the teenage situations were quite apropos. The story generated a great deal of quality discussion in class...education at it's finest.

The movie, however, was a bit of a disappointment for us. Taken by itself, it was a fine example of 80's brat-packish fluff. It was formulamatic, but entertaining. One could hardly say that the movie was based on the book, though. Bryon's personal growth journey and coming of age, so well illustrated in the novel, was sacrificed to car chases and Hollywood's penchant for tidy endings, in the movie.

While I would recommend both, I would caution that they are two separate stories, sharing the same character names. Perhaps there is the lesson: You cannot watch the movie to get out of reading the book! .
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Milestone Movie
gr4kk3r5 August 2001
I was born in 1970. While many movies such as Pretty In Pink, etc. were bigger hits, these movies along with a couple of others were incredibly important in what it means to be a friend, what it meant to grow up, and what it meant to grow up in the 80's. It wasn't a "great" movie, but it was a great movie for me and is a great movie about growing up, deciding what is important, forming morals. Will be on my buy list when I get a little money.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent flick in-and-of itself, if you're not a fan of The Outsiders...
sal-3419 October 1999
Only thing wrong with this movie-- the decision to "update" the story to make it contemporary. Some novels lend themselves to that kind of reinterpretation easily, but S.E. Hinton's early works aren't among them. The book, set in the late 60s, was essentially a follow-up to "The Outsiders," picking up a few months after its TV Series left off. The character of Ponyboy was taken out of this film for obvious reasons (why would he still be 16 in 1985?), but other Outsiders (most notably Tim Shepard) remained intact without aging a day-- effectively destroying any continuity it might have had with the film it was undoubtedly cashing in on. As result of this questionable rewrite, the novel's focus on the greaser/soc conflict dying off is completely absent, as are other time period-specific subplots. Perhaps the filmmakers wanted this to stand on its own from Coppola's then-recent "Outsiders" adaptation, but this likely hurt "That Was Then...This Is Now" in more ways than it helped it.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most mediocre of the S.E. Hinton-based adaptations. (spoilers)
vertigo_1412 December 2004
I always loved S.E. Hinton's novels as a kid: The Outsiders, Rumble Fish (which in my opinion, is the greatest film adaptation in the series despite everyone's fascination with The Outsiders), Tex, and That Was Then This is Now.

'That Was Then, This is Now' was the last film adaptation (although the TV series for 'The Outsiders' follows five years later after the release of this movie). I would've attribute the mediocrity of the movie, or at least the inability to really put forth all that the novel did, was because it was not directed by Francis Ford Coppola (who directs 'The Outsiders,' and does a fabulous job with 'Rumble Fish'), except 'Tex,' which was a pretty good movie, was likewise not directed by Coppola.

I think it is in part the chemistry among the characters. The whole mood looks like something out of a music video, with Craig Scheffer coming off more like a guy who broke off a long relationship with a girlfriend rather than dealing with a rambunctious brother (in addition to other things). Plus, as another viewer already mentioned, they shifted the focus on characters so that superstar Emilio Esteves becomes the center of attention. Most of S.E. Hinton's novel always portrayed a struggle from the brother who is looking out at things that, by his perception, have become (or always were) seriously out of control. (See 'Tex' and 'Rumble Fish'). And yes, they unfortunately acquiesced to the Hollywood happy ending, and in the sappiest way, despite all of the problems that the characters endure.

Unlike previous adaptations of Hinton's novels, even those not directed by Coppola, they really fail to portray the struggles that the characters realize in the book. And, lack of developing the story on this point really makes you only half appreciate the characters and their conflicts (and in this case, not even their resolution).
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
my reply
thedog16075 February 2003
SPOILER I think that the book was funny and interesting. The movie was funny and interesting. The movie was not as good as the book. The movie did not go in to as much detail as the book did. The part in the book about Mark stealing the car to go and see his probation officer because he had stolen cars was not mentioned in the movie. Also the movie had Mark steal a car at the end with a police chase instead of having Bryan turn Mark in to the police for dealing drugs. He should have also had talked to Mark instead of kicking him out of the house right off the bat.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the book and movie were completely different
sparky-sparkyl5 February 2003
SPOILER!!! The book was really different from the movie. In the movie Bryon didnt call the cops on Mark. Mark was caught while driving by the cops and Bryon went to Mark to see him and Bryon wasnt mad at mark. Bryon stayed with Cathy instead of leaving her. Mark never stole the principals car. M&M was way different in the movie because he wasnt calm and the book said he was very calm and in the movie he was very demanding.
interesting
mtripp3005 February 2003
Contains Spoiler I read the book before I saw the movie, so the book influenced my opinion of the movie. The end of the book is really different from the end of the movie because at the end of the book Brian was afraid of Mark and at the end of the movie Mark forgave Brian. In the book Brian and Cathy are not together and in the movie they are still together. Otherwise, I liked the movie and the book because they were really different from each other.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the Outsiders but still could have been better
gangstahippie20 August 2007
Rated R for Language,Drug Content and Some Violence.

That Was Then This Is Now is a film based on the S.E Hinton novel of the same name.S.E Hinton is a great author and I have read most of her books.The Outsiders is her best book,this is her second best,rumble fish is her third best and Taming The Star Runner is her fourth best.While Rumble Fish is her third best novel, it is the greatest adaptation from the original novel to the film.It was directed by Coppola who also directed the Outsiders film.That however was not so faithful to the original novel and I did not like it very much.Now this was not directed by Coppola, it was written by Emilio Estevez who also stars in it.While its more of a faithful adaptation than outsiders, it still could have been more faithful.The movie is about a teen named Bryon and his friend Mark who lives with him after his parents killed each other.They both used to do everything together but now Bryon has a girlfriend named Cathy and Mark is jealous of her.They also need money to pay for Bryon's mothers operation so Mark starts selling drugs to hippies including Cathy's little brother M&M.The character M&M is much different in the film.In the novel he is an innocent freshman student, in this film he's basically a normal teen who makes sex remarks.Also the endings of the two differ.Anyway That Was Then This Is Now is a decent movie but not as good as the book.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
movie is ok
cinnamon_bun20035 February 2003
That was then, this was now was, to my opinion, a pretty good movie, with plenty of action to keep you interested. The characters however, look different from what I imagined in the book. Still, Mark and Bryon made things interesting both in the book and the movie. A lot of the other characters, such as Cathy, M&M, Charlie, Angela, and the shepherd brothers also made the movie and the book interesting, especially near the end.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and worthwhile, I contend Warning: Spoilers
It's a very Hinton-esquire story. Emilio's character has a crappy family life, and spends most of his time with Sheffer and his single mom, who treats Emilio like her own son. They steal cars and get in fights, but Sheffer is clearly the more well-behaved of the two. Morgan Freeman plays the owner of a local bar that the boys frequent, and does a fine job. SPOILER: he gets killed. END SPOILER. The story revolves around the two main characters friendship and the tough S.E. Hinton trademarked teenage obstacles they encounter.

This is a very entertaining movie and I have to recommend it. Nothing fantastic as far as sophisticated filminess goes, but if you're a child of the 80s you will definitely enjoy it; there's lots of 80s high school/adolescent nostalgia to be found throughout this film. There are 80s punks with spiked hair who are so hardcore that they hang out at the prom but don't go inside. Kim Delaney is in it too, and she is (was?), of course, Hott.

Of note: Delaney's younger brother, who is kinda screwed up in the head, is named "M&M". Could this (the novel or the film) be where Eminem got the idea for his name?
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
movie ok-not as good as book.
triple831 December 2003
This book had alot of impact on me when I read it so very long ago-the movie wasn't terrible-though I really CAN understand people feeling cheated by it. However it is nowhere as good as the book.

SPOILER: The ending in the movie was widely critiscized for differing from the book-I can actually understand both sides-I cared about Mark in Hinton's book-of coarse reading it one wants a happy ending for all involved-even if thats the easy way out.

Yet the movie's which ended alot more sunny then the book also felt a bit unrealistic-because I doubt, sadly it WOULD happen that way in reality-so it's like:be careful what you wish for-you just might get it. By that I mean, reading the book you weep at the ending, wishing it could be different-but then it IS different in the movie and you feel a bit cheated. Tough call to make if changing the ending was a good idea or not.

But I STILL liked this movie and thought it was welldone-I'd recomend it to anyone who hasn't seen it-the story still touches you and the acting is credible.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment ...
pierrebonomo9 January 2015
My grade 10 ESL students read the book and then watched this film version. They were not impressed at all and everyone agreed that it is not a good portrayal of the book. Some essential scenes are missing such as Mike Chamber's story which helps the reader really understand the motivation behind Bryon's change of heart. It would really have not been that difficult to just follow what was written in the book. Someone needs to be blamed for this poor excuse of a film!

The desperate male students in the class were hoping that the Angela character would have been as hot as she is described in the book!

Read the book instead.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bad movie
nan-bess19 November 2014
Yikes. This movie was not very good. The book was okay, not great. I still managed to slightly enjoy both. But really, the movie was pretty bad. The acting was pretty bad, except for Emilio Estivez who actually was enduring and cute. And of course, Morgan Freeman was awesome as he always is but his part wasn't major in this movie. The main character, Bryon, was sometimes enjoyable to watch and sometimes hard to watch. He's cute so that helps, but his acting wasn't great and it ruined some of the scenes. Cathy was cute too but her acting was pretty bad. Particularly, when she was driving the car when M&M was hallucinating. It was horrible. She had no emotion just like when she was in the hospital waiting room with her dad. She's not a good actress. And even Angela wasn't a great actress. The book was okay - somewhat enjoyable and besides the ending, the movie was true to the book. But there was so much more going on in the book, so much more detail (as is usually the case). The movie did a horrible job replicating that. I feel sorry for SE Hinton that her story was so poorly portrayed. Yikes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, but not as great as the book.
soda_pop4120 January 2000
Okay, I've seen this movie at Language Arts class AFTER I read the book. I liked it, and this story is "different" from other teenage stories. Always happy-endings. But S.E. Hinton wrote this brilliant story about the downtown boyz who are always in trouble. The ending freaked me out. It was good.

In the MOVIE, it describes Mark as the main character. Probably Emilio Estevez was popular that he had to be the star. His acting is great. But let's see, Bryon in a fluffy hair? I thought Mark had that style. In the book, after Charlie dies, Bryon is upset and Mark is not. But in the movie it is VERy different. And M&M??!! He is supposed to be so sweet and innocent. The movie describes M&M as a boy who knows EVERYTHING and what's going around the world. He looked like a Senior guy instead of 13-year-old kid. The most unbelievable part is the ENDING. ANOTHER sweet happy silly ending. Mark forgives Bryon and they become friends again. Cathy still sticks up with Bryon. Gosh, give me a break! The movie was disappointing, so you should read a BOOK.

Oh, don't miss Morgan Freeman as Charlie in the movie!!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I actually liked the movie until it ended.
TopperHarley296 January 2013
When I saw the movie I actually liked it. I was satisfied with how they used the important stuff from the book, but when I saw the ending it diminished my opinion on this movie. If you read the book then you would know how dark and depressing it was. That is why I liked the book so much because it doesn't cheapen the story by having a happy ending. The movie had the typical Hollywood happy ending. It would be easier for me to forgive the movie if it didn't have that cheesy, happy 80's music playing at the end. If you loved the book then do yourself a favor and don't see this movie. I would only recommend seeing this if you're a big Morgan Freeman fan because his performance is pretty good and is worth seeing for his performance alone if you're a fan. I really can't blame Emilio Estevez since the studio made him change the ending and I know he wouldn't have intended to write a happy ending.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent film on it's own, but not as good as the book.
jcbutthead861 June 2012
That Was Then...This Is Now is decent 80s Teen film and although it is filled with good direction and great performances it is still the weakest S.E Hinton film adaptation but still has good things about it.

Based on S.E Hinton's novel,That Was Then...This Is Now tells the story of Bryon(Craig Sheiffer)and Mark(Emilo Estevez)two teens that have been best friends since childhood almost like brothers,stealing cars,getting Into fights with rivals,and living carefree, but when Bryon starts dating a girl from their childhood named Cathy(Kim Delaney),a tragic event that changes their lives and their teenage years fading away they both realize that That Was Then...This Is Now.

S.E Hinton is one of my favorite authors and I had seen the film adaptations The Outsiders,Rumble Fish and Tex and loved them and also read her books and loved them as well. That Was Then...This Is Now was a great book that I loved but was the only film adaptation I hadn't seen. I finally saw this film and while the film is not as good as the book there is still some good and decent things about the film. The movie That Was Then...This Is Now is easily the weakest of the S.E Hinton film adaptations and they're things that work and don't work. One of the things that works is the main characters,realistic feel and atmosphere. Bryon and Mark's relationship in the film authentic and real and you feel like they could be real brothers,especially since they're living in a harsh setting and you feel like Bryon and Mark would have each other's back no matter what. When things start to fall apart for Bryon and Mark and the characters start arguing and fighting with each other and Bryon and Mark's friendship and since of brotherhood starts to become strained and it's very believable and at times sad. The film depicts a dark and dangerous teenage world where things such as gang violence,fighting,drug use and drinking seems to always be the norm for Bryon and Mark as well as other characters who going by the laws of the streets and the film's atmosphere is sometimes very bleak and downbeat. The film also has a dark,gritty film-noir feel to it that you didn't see a lot in Teen Films at the time with great harsh lighting and photography and that's one of the things that I like about the film is that the photography gives the film a since of darkness and reality. Although the movie is well filmed and has great lighting it lacks the great and powerful cinematic feel that the other S.E Hinton movie adaptations The Outsiders,Rumble Fish and Tex had. The screenplay written by Estevez while good lacks the emotional punch that Hinton's novel had and the screenplay feels limited. Where In Hinton's novel we got to know more about the characters and there was more scenes with the characters,in the film we know the characters but there Isn't enough time in the film for development for the characters and the friendship between Bryon and Mark feels underdeveloped and small in the film compared to the book. I don't understand why the location and time period were changed from Oklahoma to Minnesota from 60's to 80's. I guess one of the main reasons the time period was changed was because of budget costs,but the location and time period change killed some of the important elements in the book and I guess Paramount Pictures and the filmmakers wanted something that teens in the 80s could relate to. And speaking of changes the biggest change and difference from the book is the movie's ending which destroy's the greatness of the novel's ending and it rings completely false. Where's the novel's ending was more powerful and sad the movie's is predictable and didn't belong in this film. Maybe because the novel's ending was very sad and truly pessimistic the ending had to change because in the 1980s optimistic endings were more accepted and sad endings such as the sad ending in the book weren't allowed during the 1980s. It's not Emilio Estevez's fault though blame Paramount Studios who told Estevez to change the ending in his screenplay.

The cast does a good job in their roles. Emilio Estevez(who also wrote the screenplay)does a excellent job as Mark,bringing humor,anger and sadness to the role. Craig Sheiffer does a fantastic job as Bryon and has an good chemistry with Estevez. Morgan Freeman does a great job as Charlie the bartender the only grown up friend of Bryon and Mark. Kim Delaney does a wonderful job as Cathy,Bryon's girlfriend. Jill Schoelen gives a fabulous performance as Angela,Bryon's ex-girlfriend. Barbara Babcock is wonderful as Bryon's mom. Frank Howard does a great job as M&M,Cathy's spaced-out brother. Larry B. Scott gives a funny and memorable performance as Bryon and Mark's friend Terry.

Christopher Cain does a fine job directing the film,bringing lots of energy and atmosphere to the film and always moving the camera.

The score by Bill Cuomo and Keith Olsen is good and adds to the film's tone and feel. I also like songs Just Another Day(Oingo Boingo)and the title song That Was Then...This Is Now(Randy Wayne and Carroll Sue Hill).

Overall That Was Then...This Is Now is a decent film on It's own with fine acting from the cast and good direction,but as an adaptation of the novel it's lacks what made the book so great. Recommended 7.5/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a solid flick...great young cast
ManBehindTheMask637 February 2011
Emilio penned the script and stars as the dangerous and wild Mark. A very young Craig Sheffer plays his best friend Bryan. The two have lived together since they were 9 and are practically brothers. They enjoy getting into brawls, stealing cars, and hanging out at the local bar. But when Bryan falls in love, Mark feels betrayed and lonely. Mark and Bryan's friendship slowly starts to deteriorate. The film is very realistic and the performances are really good. Morgan Freeman is excellent as their bar owning older pal. The scene in which Emilio explains his parents demise is truly memorable and powerful. The description they gives is kinda wrong. Mark doesn't get into drugs, he just sells them. And we don't know this till the end of the film anyway. Sheffer and Emilio are both very good and fun to watch. This is a very underrated and unknown film. It's pretty close to Rumble Fish and The outsiders (both also S.E. Hinton novels). A solid rental.
Emilio's pet project...
Waterfarmer5 February 2003
....should have stayed as one of those things that are always on the back burner! You know, that one kooky dream that just never materializes? If that was the case, I could see giving good 'ole Emilio a pat on the head and saying "That's it kid...keep reaching for the stars! Someday...just someday...you'll make it"!

However, the sad fact is that Emilio made this movie. Hinton sold the rights, and that's OK. Emilio took the project and added his unique "brat-pack" qualities to it. So, the time frame is different. From 70's lifestyles to 80's. Crashpads to break dancing. Blue jeans to neon spandex. Harsh language is added. Mark and Bryon now swear like sailors.

I can't say anymore about this film because my head is starting to hurt and I'm afraid my brain will explode. The class I work with will be posting their replies soon, so I now give you their unjaded opinions.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent underrated film, that's often quite powerful and gripping, with a great story, and amazing performances! *minor spoilers*
callanvass16 April 2006
This is an excellent underrated film, that's often quite powerful and gripping, with a great story and amazing performances!. All the characters are excellent, and I was lucky enough to find this at my video store and buy it for 1$ at the VHS blow out sale, plus Emilio Estevez and Craig Sheffer are simply incredible in this!. The bond between Estevez and Sheffer really was incredible, and it was so sad when they started drifting apart, and Morgan Freeman has a small but very memorable part here as Charlie the bartender, plus the ending is really moving, and will really make you think, but it also leaves the viewer smiling!(you'll see what I mean when you watch it). I have not yet read the book but I did really enjoy this movie, and this is very well made and written as well, plus I felt sorry for Emilio's character. one of the most powerful scenes in the movie for me is when Bryan, and Mark get into a fight because Mark was responsible for giving drugs to M&M,and Estevez and Sheffer had brilliant chemistry together, plus this is truly an underrated gem. This is an excellent underrated film, that's often quite powerful and gripping, with a great story and amazing performances, and I say it's a must see for everyone!. The Direction is excellent!. Christopher Cain does an excellent! job here with awesome camera work, solid angles giving the film some good atmosphere and keeping it at an engrossing pace. The Acting is amazing!. Emilio Estevez is amazing as always and is incredible here, his character was a trouble maker, but was just so likable, that you are able to feel sorry for his character, I especially felt bad for him near the end, he also had brilliant chemistry with Craig Sheffer, brought lots of energy and charm to the role, and just did an amazing job this is one of his best performances! (Emilio Rules!!!!!!!). Craig Sheffer is just as good, he was really likable, and you will feel happy for him because he is getting his life on track and is growing up, it's just too bad his career never really took off, because he impressed the hell out of me here!. Jill Schoelen is very cute and does fine as Angela she had good chemistry with Sheffer and just seemed like a nice ordinary girl, I liked her lots. Kim Delaney does fine as the troubled teen I liked her. Morgan Freeman is amazing in his small role as the Bartender and as always couldn't take my eyes off him when he was on screen (Freeman Rules!!!!!!!). Rest of the cast are fine. Overall a must see for everyone!. ****1/2 out of 5
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh man.........
ad20205 February 2001
I'm not going to start on Christopher Cain, even though his movies tend to bite the dust..... At least this one had some decent acting, but characterization is what made the book by S.E.Hinton so powerful, And, yes, against better judgement, I will compare this to the book, with SPOILERS.... Mark in the book is popular likeable and dare-devilish, in the movie he's seems to be nothing but a punk w/ dare-devilish inclinations!! Mark would be my nephew to a T,a booty hound and a clever little mischief-maker whom anyone upon meeting can forgive since his untouchability and good-nature are very apparent,not like some swinging-you-know-what (I HATE censorship!!!!!) that bases his life on all the rampant going on's in the hood'. Yet, Emilio Estevez does manage to save his character somewhat, it's Bryan that was under-scored heavily, they should've represented more of that downtown background he has in the book, but alas, they made him nothing but a reformed punk akin to the Mark in the movie (which, alone I will say is good, but this is based on the book, I guess that spoiled it for me.) So, later on and throughout the movie Craig Sheffer seems like a wooden jerk to Mark, rather than representing the inner-turmoil that Bryan feels when he wants to change. If anything, Bryan still felt what I would say "carnalismo" in him after getting beat-up by the Sheperd brothers as well as feel responsible for stopping the violence, rather than looking like a whipped pup!! But I can forgive these things, what made me vote 6 on this was the ending, happy 80's music and a "lighten-up dude" ending. Yes, the book's the same way, but a lot more bitter..... when Bryan spoke with Mark in prison, Bryan left afraid of Mark, since Mark had the same mischieviousness about him, but also a darker-side which Bryan felt Mark could kill him if he wanted to!!!!! In all, if your gonna make the movie fluff, at least leave the ending to strike you! Yes, and I didn't even mention CHARACTERIZATION the supporting cast, only Morgan Freeman and Jill Schoelen (Angie Shepard) were true to form.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a great book but not such a great movie
thugnigga5045 February 2003
I thought the book, that was then this is now, was a great book. I was excited by how life was for Bryon and Mark. My favorite character was Mark. He seemed alot like me except for me not stealing cars. Bryon seems more like the person I have been trying to become. So in short I thought the book was one of Emilio Estevez's best work. The movie was not what I was expecting to see. I feel they changed way to many parts from the book. they put so many new things in the movie and left so many of the best parts out. So I would have to score this movie a Four out of a ten. I did find a small part I did like . I liked that they used Morgen Freeman. I like him alot. So If you want a good book to read then put up the book called (that was then this is now).
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interminably long
chrislarkby29 November 2018
Childhood friendship ends when one of the boys discovers girls and leaves his wingman behind. Jilted friend resorts to cockblocking.

Bad writing and bad acting served up in equal doses. Awful soundtrack. Unlikeable characters across the board. Terrible cinematography.

Someone owes it to the author of "The Outsiders" to remake her book into a better movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
seems out of time
SnoopyStyle9 May 2016
Mark Jennings (Emilio Estevez) and Bryon Douglas (Craig Sheffer) are best friends and juvenile delinquents. Bryon falls for the new girl in school who turns out to be an old acquaintance, Cathy Carlson (Kim Delaney). His ex Angela Shepard is jealous. He starts to be more responsible which concerns Mark. Mark and Bryon hustle at pool, and get their bar owner friend Charlie Woods (Morgan Freeman) killed. Mark cuts off drunken Angela's hair. Her thuggish brothers come looking for revenge on Bryon's face. Cathy's little brother M&M is hospitalized on drugs from Mark. The friendship cracks under the pressure.

I used to read S.E. Hinton religiously once upon a time. It has a melodramatic teen coming-of-age mentality. They work on the page. They have the 50's 'Rebel Without a Cause' sensibility. The modern world can clash with that sensibility. It can seem overwrought and out of place. This one fails that test from time to time. It probably should have stayed in the earlier time period rather than trying to bring it into the modern world. Estevez is a solid delinquent. This is a valiant but flawed effort.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.