Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) Poster

Bad-ass the quintessential of all action movies my personal number 1 favorite action film
rambofan4life8 August 2018
Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) is my personal number 1 favorite action movie of all time. The quintessential pure bad-ass action movie that I call it. This is my favorite bad-ass pure action film of the 80's I cherish and I love this film to death. Sylvester Stallone's best movie he ever made this is one man against an army. I am huge Sylvester Stallone fan he is my number 1 favorite action star. Rambo: First Blood Part II is my number 1 film in the action genre Rambo series.

This movie has heart and soul in the movie you mourn with Rambo over his lost I love the rescue mission and Rambo doesn't forget anyone. I watch this movie as a kid constantly on VHS it defines my childhood. I have this film on DVD and Blu-ray disc. It was directed by George P. Cosmatos who reunited with Stallone a year later and directed Cobra. Rambo: First Blood Part II, First Blood and Cobra are my personal favorite 80's action films of all time.

Rambo: First Blood Part II is the sequel to the classic First Blood. Sylvester Stallone returns as John Rambo, the former Green Beret who is given the opportunity for a Presidential pardon if he accepts a mission to confirm the existence of American POW's captured during the Vietnam War.

The film proved to be a massive blockbuster and launched the character of Rambo into the popular culture. Directed by George P. Cosmatos and screenplay was written by James Cameron and Sylvester Stallone. James Cameron wrote a beautiful screenplay with many action scenes. That Is why the movie has ton's of action just like Aliens and Terminator 2: Judgment Day who are really popular action movies. Sylvester Stallone wrote a politics which he meant they were important.

Richard Crenna reunites with Sylvester Stallone for this sequel and his character Colonel Sam Trautman is much better well portrayed and acted then he was the first movie. Charles Napier as Marshall Murdock was memorable bad guy and I love those two actors. When Colonel Sam Trautman talks to his nemesis Marshall Murdock is memorable in my opinion. Jerry Goldsmith made a beautiful music score for the film that I enjoy it so much. We also have Steven Berkoff, Julia Nickson and Martin Kove in this movie. Julia Nickson was great as Co Bao who helps Rambo out. I love Aliens to death it is my favorite Sci-fi action film and I also the same time I love Rambo: First Blood Part II the same time and I think it is a classic for the 80's. The film was box office hit. It was competitive with Commando who come the same year and Commando wasn't that successful. This movie is better to me than Commando.

The sequel is my favorite action film it has tons of action and multiple explosions: Rambo with his Hoyt Archery compound bow with his explosive arrow C4 tips is memorable. I love Rambo's new survival knife and he is Rambo, his knife completes him. Rambo blows up a soldier with a bow and arrow C4 explosive tips my favorite scene in the film. Rambo blows the army's vehicles with bow and C4 tip arrow bad ass scene. Rambo uses a rocket launcher RPG-7 and destroys the Vietnamese boat. Rambo uses a shotgun and blows pirates to pieces. Rambo fly's the helicopter and destroys all the bad guys blows them to pieces, he rescue American POW's and he saves them, he did not forgot them I love the rescue mission. Rambo uses M72 LAW launcher and destroys Lt. Col. Podovsky helicopter to pieces.

Action adventure fun with some substance . Different than the first one , but great as an archetypical good versus bad movie. Very decent, good movie, very entertaining, fast paced wonderful action Hard-R fight scenes and some nice one-liners war movie. There's no shaky cam or CGI here but real explosions. Bad-ass action film I absolutely love it to death! Rambo: First Blood Part II it is my favorite number 1 action movie with First Blood and Cobra my all time 80's action films of all time.
80 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quintessential pure bad-ass the best action film my number 1 personal favorite
ivo-cobra81 January 2018
Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) is the finest pure bad-ass the best action film of the 80's of all time for me. My number 1 personal favorite film in the action genre I think it is one of the best action movies of all time. I love this film to death and it is my childhood film. Sylvester Stallone returns as John Rambo, the former Green Beret who is given the opportunity for a Presidential pardon if he accepts a mission to confirm the existence of American POW's captured during the Vietnam War.

Rambo: First Blood Part II influenced many of action films. Commando come out the same year and it was very competitive with Rambo but this movie won because it was more box office successful. I love this film to death It is the sequel to First Blood (1982), and the second installment in the Rambo film series In my opinion it is Stallone's best film.

"Sir, do we get to win this time? "

Awesome and very great intense underrated sequel . it Is a very joy great action movie . Action adventure fun with some substance. Different than the first one , but great as an archetypical good versus bad movie. Very decent, good movie, very entertaining, fast paced wonderful action Hard-R fight scenes and some nice one-liners war movie. There's no shaky cam or CGI here but real explosions. Bad-ass action film I absolutely love it to death! James Cameron and Sylvester Stallone wrote the script that is why this movie was such a bad-ass action. Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Aliens proves to be one of the best action movies from James Cameron he wrote and directed them, that is why Rambo: First Blood Part II was such a success. Brilliantly directed by George P. Cosmatos who later directed Cobra (with Sylvester Stallone again) Leviathan (with Richard Crenna again) and Tombstone.

Of course, this wouldn't be an action movie without some action. There's plenty of it, and it's perfectly done. Great action, a slick pace and a barrage of great moments (a random soldier being shot by an exploding arrow being my personal favorite) may not make this high art, but it does create a fun time at the movies, which is what movies are meant to do. It also helps that it has a great score, which sets the tone very well. You have ton's of explosions real practical effects. You see a lot of heavy weapons and they are used well.

Rambo uses a knife and kills the bad guys, well, he's Rambo and his knife completes him. Rambo uses Hoyt Archery compound bow which has been well know as the "Torque Bow" because of the high explosive arrow tips. I have never seen in any action movie a bow and explosives arrows. Rambo uses a flying helicopter kills all the bad guys blows whole base and saves POW's captured prisoners.

In this movie you have Russians and Vietcongs as the bad guys. Rambo blows up an enemy boat by pulling an RPG-7 anti-tank grenade launcher blows them to hell. Great explosion I have ever seen. Rambo blows up Podovsky's Hind helicopter with another grenade launcher M72 LAW.

Excellent solid cast Sylvester Stallone does great excellent performance as legendary John Rambo Vietnam vet. I love the character to death. Richard Crenna R.I.P. as Col. Samuel Trautman was excellent I really miss him. Charles Napier R.I.P. as Marshall Murdock was fantastic bad guy. The acting is fantastic from Richard Crenna and Charles Napier the politics were important, such as a right-wing stance coming from Trautman and his nemesis, Murdock, contrasted by Rambo's obvious neutrality. Great music score from Jerry Goldsmith R.I.P.

10/10 Bad-ass action film I absolutely love it to death, it is my number 1 action film ! Puts most of action movies to shame. Today they aren't action movies like are this one. Today they are just lousy CGI bullsh** crap.
84 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dragon Fly. Wolf Den..colorful names.....You may scream, there is no shame.
baumer9 July 1999
First Blood and Rambo are completely different movies. They have same two characters bu that is where the similarity ends. First Blood was a tightly wound excellent action picture directed very well by Ted Kotcheff. Rambo is an action extravaganza that is not to high on the psychological element the way the first one was. They are both excellent films but I find them entertaining for different reasons. One of the reasons that I find Rambo so damn entertaining is because I enjoy that Rambo is now larger than life. He is the ultimate fighting machine who's only desire is to win a war that someone else lost, and if winning means he has to die then he'll die, no fear, no regrets. That is what makes Rambo the ultimate fighting machine and the ultimate movie character.

I love this movie. I love how far fetched it is. I love that Rambo can withstand hours of torture and then have enough energy to escape into the jungle and take on the whole Vietnemese and Russian army. That is what makes this movie so damned entertaining. When I was 14, this was my favourite movie, and it took a great many films and years before it was dethroned. I think I can enjoy and appreciate movies like Apocalypse Now and JFK better than when I was 14, but my love for Rambo and films of its kind will never diminish. This movie is amazing from start to finish.

Rambo's mission in this film is to go back to Vietnam and see if he can find a certain camp that may be harbouring POW's. But if he finds these men, he can only take pictures. He has a problem with that and when he does find one he is left behind by the "stinkin bureaucrat" named Murdoch who orders the mission aborted before Trautman can pick him up. It is while Rambo is captured that the movie becomes tight, tense and incredibly entertaining. Rambo is also fun to watch on a physical level. Stallone was in the best shape of his life in 1985 as he simultaneously made Rambo and Rocky IV. He is huge, ripped and strong as hell in this movie and it is his psychical presence that adds to his persona. He single handedly goes through a whole army and lives to go get the bastards that left him behind. Rambo is one of the old school feel good summer type movies.

Rambo does not claim to be JFK or Mississippi Burning in the sense that it wants you to leave the theater with a message. It has its own beliefs that is for certain, but what Rambo does just like Raiders does is, it entertains. It has you rooting and cheering for Rambo and dissing and swearing at the bad guys for 90 minutes. It is so much fun that I highly recommend this film to anyone who likes to be entertained. Leave your politics for some other movie, that is not what Rambo is about. It is about being entertained and wearing your emotions on your sleeve. That is what is beautiful about this movie. It doesn't apologize for being a bit over the top. Neither should you, for enjoying the film. It is a true wonder. A great piece of entertainment.
137 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GREAT action film; Stallone IS THE PERFECT RAMBO!!
brian james20 March 2002
Sylvester Stallone returns to the silver screen in this second chapter of the Rambo trilogy. This time, he is released from prison under the condition that he return to the Viet Nam area to take pictures of suspected camps where American POW's are being held. He has to deal with having orders not to use deadly force and then having to dis-obey those very same orders or be killed. He has a new antagonist in the form of a Washington Bureaucrat named Murdoch who leads this fact finding mission. He soon realizes that no one can be trusted and even his former mentor Colonel Troutman (well portrayed by Richard Crenna) is in no position to assist him. What follows is battle after battle with Asian as well as Russian troops leading to an exciting climax where he confronts the REAL enemy. Add this one to your shelf of DVD's in the action section. This is a well directed and excellent film!
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rambo is an Icon
mm-3919 January 2002
Sylvester Stallone has one of the most recognizable faces in the world for a reason; this genius has created two pop culture Icons Rocky and Rambo. Anywhere, in the world these two characters will be reconized. Stallone has many detractors, but his vision, writing, and acting out these characters has made him rich and sucessful in a highly competitive industry. Before Rambo, his sequel to First Blood, Stallone was just a star like Gene Hackmen, but this movie created a mega star. As part of gen x I love this film, it is a prototype for many action films that followed. The story brings out raw emotions, tension, and adrenaline. The viewer relates with John Rambo his pain, and how the government lies. The action takes the viewer on a incredible ride. I love the battlecry he gives out when he does a chopper assault on the bad guys, and the explosive arrow that smashes his adversary, along with the machine gunning of the computer system at the base. The camera angles, expressions, and physical acting is perfectly done. You leave the picture feeling good, and that is what movie escapism should be. Stallone, who is ridiculed, along with Arnold for his physical acting, can with this ability create a great stage presence. This emotion he creates with his body is done by, how he walks, flexs his arm etc. Could Robert De Niro done this film, maybe(ie Cape Fear) Tom Cruise no way, Val Kilmer No. This film is what an action film should be, I've seen very few lines for an Action movie as long as this one. PS the speech at the end gave the spirit of what the film was about.
79 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6 stars + Let's look at the 'whole' picture...
basenji024 October 2003
A lot of negative reviews I see, but what about the heart of the movie? Doesn't it make you remember the main point--Vietnam and the POW's still there? How they were treated when they came home?

So there are flaws in the movie, we know when Rambo fires the missle in the helicopter, the guys in back would have been toast, but that didn't matter. It's good against evil; and if you know anything about that time frame, you can see so much "truth" in characters like Murdock and what goes on in reality.

The action is excellent, non-stop, with heart, and instead of critical and harsh comments on acting, look at the Broad Picture here, or like Murdock...did you forget too?

A hell of an action film, well done stunt work (mostly done by Stallone) Well worth watching for many reasons.
98 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good movie
broadway3092 June 2003
Okay, first of all, I was born after this movie was made. Second of all, I'm a girl. So for me to say it's a good movie means it's a good movie. My father received this movie as a gag gift. Just by glancing at the cover, I had the impression that Rambo movies were nothing but blood-and-guts, guns-blazing, psycho, no-plotline movies that exist solely for the purpose of making men feel macho. I hate those movies (Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, etc.) But when I popped in this movie out of boredom, I was surprisingly pleased. I'll admit I never saw the first one, but this film doesn't really call for it. It stands on its own. The plot is good-a little too unrealistic but good, the cinematography and scenery is great, Stallone may not be the best actor in the world but he PERSONIFIES John Rambo, and the aspect that makes the movie worth watching is the fact that a woman was a main character and she was not just there for looks; she had an important role and she is portrayed almost as Rambo's equal. The semi-happy ending was cool, too. Although there are many cheezy moments where you just want to roll your eyes, there are also many feel-good moments that have the audience cheer for Rambo. After seeing this film I can understand why it was nominated for an Oscar.
87 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An important piece of the movie history
Gulag-23 September 2000
This movie is a sort of legend.It's the greatest action flick of all the times,and the only movie can be compared to it it's "Rambo 3",another masterpiece. "Rambo:First Blood Part.2" is intelligent,beautiful,frightening and...so "Eighties" that you could consider it a piece of history.One of the best performance of Sylvester Stallone.Julie Nicholson (Co Bau) is great and she's a fine actress.Richard Crenna is a myth.The screenplay's a masterstroke,and i don't care the track of "reaganism" in it. Rambo is a rebel,a lone soldier,not a simple puppet in the hands of America.Not a simple human instrument.America offended and pushed him in the first movie.Rambo is an anti-hero,he really don't care 'bout America.He cares 'bout american soldiers STILL trapped in that hell.Point.Have you understand ? Best sequence: All the movie.My favourite :The Co Bau's death...so poetic.Sly seems a dancer when he fights,but he's one of the greatest actor too.He's not only a bunch of muscles !!!!!!! If you love good movies,you'll love "Rambo:First blood part 2".The mother of all the action flicks !!!!!!!!!!! Without it,forget "Die hard" and "Lethal weapon".Forget the word "Action" .
61 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"MURDOCK, I'M COMIN' TA GIT YOU"
roh322011 June 2004
Double crossed by "UNCLE SAM", Sly Stallone makes a radio call back to base and asks for the "STINKIN' BEAUROCRAT" who set him up. As lightning strikes and Sly's knuckles crack and tighten around the radio microphone, he slurs the following words, "Murdock, I'm comin' ta git you". After which he pulverises and electrofies his captors and escapes into the jungle p***ed as a rattle snake. They don't make movies like this anymore, Rambo is an old school action favourite, made at a time when stunt men could really hurt themselves and at a time when explosions weren't made on a computer screen. At its time of release the film was criticized for exploiting real life P.O.W's and a minority of the public, especially the men who fought in the Vietnam war were deeply offended by the film. Unfortunately those people made the mistake of taking the film too seriously. Rambo is a very entertaining action movie directed by George P. Cosmatos who also directed Sly, one year later, in Cobra. Mr Cosmatos shows real style in his direction and I would like to see him team up again with Sly for another project. Rambo is a real crowd pleaser of a film, destined to become a classic if it isn't already.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Commando Guerilla Action Film Ever MADE !
Umar Mansoor Bajwa15 June 2005
The fame of Sylvester Stallone initially picked up with The Rocky series. However, he did not settle to create only the icon of Rocky Balboa. His ambitious and craggy nature took him to endeavor the creation of a new kind of hero cum macho man yet unknown to cine-goers.

Rambo was the culmination of an American war commando who was taught and weathered to sustain and persevere in the most unfavorable, hostile and cruel conditions. Under enemy captivity in Vietnam while trying to rescue American POWs, he showed stoic fortitude and the solid grit not to bend before the enemy bullies. Sylvester Stallone's body and features that seem to be chiseled in stone bore a perfect resemblance to Rambo's character sketch. Richard Crenna as Col. Samuel has also portrayed a good role as Rambo's mentor.

This is by far a most popular and fascinating depiction of a new style of action, adventure thriller of its time and definitely rose Stallone to new heights of stardom and instantly established him as a top favorite Hollywood icon.
57 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
alden101012 January 2003
I'm really surprised at how little respect people have for this movie. I could be wrong, but it seems to be the ideal movie for any Vietnam vet looking for an outlet to his frustration. The government used Rambo the way many soldiers must have felt used. If this movie is nothing more than a tiny way of saying "we're sorry you had to go through that," then the movie deserves all the respect we can muster.
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He gets to win this time....
dtucker8624 October 2003
I am a Sergeant in the Army who previously served in the National Guard. I joined the West Virginia Army National Guard in the summer of 1985 when this film was first released and I have to admit I was caught up in the patriotic "Rambo" fever that was sweeping the country. Sylvester Stallone was sort of like a modern day John Wayne in creating a hero on screen that made us cheer for him and feel patriotic. John Rambo symbolized the Vietnam veteran that went and fought and did his all for his country and was spit on and left to stand alone when he returned. The first scene in this film is Colonel Trautman visitng Rambo in prison and offering him a chance at a pardon if he will participate in a special mission. Rambo accepts and says "Sir do we get to win this time?" Trautman says "Its up to you". Murdock, the character that Charles Napier plays, represents the typical government beaurocrat that slept on clean sheets with a full belly while soldiers died in Vietnam because they were sent out to fight with one hand tied behind their back. He lies to Rambo about his combat experience and Rambo realizes Trautman is the only one he trusts. (Incidentally Charles Napier is a highly decorated Korean war veteran in real life). Rambo parachutes into Nam and finds there are POWS left alive, he even manages to help one escape and Murdock aborts the mission and leaves them to their fate. There is an intense scene where Trautman confronts Murdock and calls him a stinking coward covering his ass! He says you made one mistake leaving Rambo alive! There are some awesome sequences that keep you on the edge of your seat. Stallone's approach to playing Rambo is like the one Clint Eastwood used in playing No Name. He uses a minimum of dialogue. However, you sense this man's inner pain that he has borne all his life. This film has some of the most graphic torture sequences ever committed to screen as they try to make Rambo talk. They get him on the radio with Murdock and he says "MURDOCK I'M COMING TO GET YOU!!!!" I have to admit, I cheered like everyone else when Rambo killed all the enemy and rescued the POWs. There is an intense helicopter chase before he finally fakes a crash and then blows the enemy helicopter away! (I wanted to mention one error they made in this film. Rambo uses a LAWs rocket to shoot the enemy helicopter, if he had done this in real life, he would have blown up his own copter as well because of the backblast effect. I have trained with LAWs rockets and I know).

I love the last scene in the film where he flys the copter back and goes after Murdock. He scares the (*&^ out of him by shoving him down on a table and stabbing his knife into it, but he only tells him "There are more men out there, find them or I will find you" The last scene in the film SPOILER ALERT is the best. Colonel Trautman asks Rambo what he wants and Stallone makes his longest speech "I WANT WHAT THEY WANT AND EVERY OTHER GUY WHO WENT OVER THERE AND SPILLED HIS GUTS AND GAVE IT ALL HE HAD WANTS FOR OUR COUNTRY TO LOVE US AS MUCH AS WE LOVE IT THAT IS WHAT I WANT!!!!" It was like he was speaking for all Vietnam vets. This is a film that makes you stand up and cheer in the end. Corny? maybe but I always remember the lyrics of the song at the end (Stallone's brother wrote them) Peace in our life/remember the cause/a cheer for my brothers think of them all/home of the free, well never fall the strength of our nation belongs to us all.
28 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best action films ever made
LuboLarsson7 July 2002
Viewed as an action film, Rambo First Blood Part II is hard to beat. It just never lets up, and it has Stallone at the top of his game. Its comic strip stuff, and is much less credible than First Blood. I don't care about that though, you want a serious film then watch The Deer Hunter or Platoon, but if you want to see a superbly made action film watch this. After the events of First Blood, John Rambo is in prison but gets released to be sent back to Vietnam to take pictures of a pow camp to get proof that there is still American pow's there. But he is double-crossed by his superiors when he tries to take some pow's out with him, he wasn't meant to do that, he was ordered to only take photos, so he's left behind to be captured , imprisoned and tortured by those oh so nasty RUSSIANS! Sly really had it in for the reds in 1985 after this film, he sent Rocky out to Russia to beat up that other nasty Russian Ivan Drago! It must have been what the people wanted as this and Rocky IV were two of the biggest smashes of the year. Steven Berkhoff plays the Russian bad guy in practically a carbon copy of his role in the James Bond film Octopussy, he does it well though, he was one of Hollywoods favourite bad guys of the mid 80's, you might remember him in Beverly Hills Cop, which was a film initially intended for........Sylvester Stallone! This movie has just been giving the DVD special edition treatment, buy it, and get yourself one of the greatest action flms ever made.
44 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jingoism gone rampant
mentalcritic5 May 2005
The ghost of the Vietnam war has haunted the American psyche for thirty years now. If not because of the fact that tens of thousands of American soldiers went MIA in Vietnam, or the manner in which those who returned were treated, then because it was the first war that America could be said to have lost. Many men came home from the war a shadow of their former selves, and the original First Blood managed to provide a small insight into their problems as they attempted to rotate back into the world, as the saying goes. First Blood Part II, on the other hand, is little more than a fist-pumping mess that goes to illustrate how sore America can be, both in victory and defeat. Stallone puts in another sluggish performance as the titular Special Forces commando, while Richard Crenna attempts to hold up the serious actor quotient. Where it all comes undone is in the script, which didn't do any better when it was called Missing In Action and starred Chuck Norris. What little semblance of logic there was in the original is now gone, as the filmmakers decide to paint a big S on Rambo's massive chest.

The film picks up a little while after the end of First Blood. The film, that is - the novel didn't allow for the possibility of sequels. In this mediocre follow-up, Rambo has been put to work at what appears to be some sort of open-air mine. As he is breaking rocks and working up a sweat, a prison guard pulls him away to go and have a chat with Colonel Trautman, who advises him that his government is willing to offer him an early release if he goes on a covert mission. Rambo, never one to back down from a hard day's violent work, accepts, and is promptly shipped off to a covert base in what appears to be Cambodia or Thailand (I forget which). From there, he is commissioned to seek out a camp where American MIAs are supposedly being held, and photograph them. His mission quite clearly specifies that he is not to make any attempt to secure their release. Rambo being Rambo, however, has other ideas in spite of their possible political implications.

Of course, things go somewhat awry when it turns out that the people commissioning Rambo's work have more interest in making sure no American MIAs are found. It is the age-old conspiracy theory, and makes no apologies for exploiting the plight of many an American family that was left without a son during the ten years that the official Vietnam war had been raging for. Of course, with the Jingoism that was inherent in American society during the 1980s, they could not help but work in a plot tangent about the Vietnamese army being in bed with what appears to be a single battalion of Russians. Together, the two antagonists attempt to extract what information they can from Rambo, but it backfires upon them in an orgy of bullets, arrows, rockets, and destruction. About the only thing missing is the moment when Rambo drinks from a grail-like chalice and declares himself invincible.

To be honest, First Blood Part II is a well-photographed, and well-choreographed, action spectacle. The hand-to-hand combat with the larger Russian commander is one of the few battles in the film that has any dramatic tension whatsoever. The rest is simply a case of the lead actor and the director building a fantasy for Americans to pump their fist to. Fortunately, this fad of America über alles action films soon died down when more introspective and intelligent war films such as Platoon began doing the rounds. Some of the kills shown here are quite creative, despite all the problems. The Vietnamese commander meets an end that many an action film villain would envy. The Russian commander bites it in a manner that is as spectacular as it is ridiculous. Only in a 1980s action film would one see a LAW being used from inside a helicopter. Sure, there have been action film clichés rooted in contradictions of fact, but never this ridiculous before.

I gave Rambo: First Blood Part II a one out of ten. It is so bad it is ridiculous, and so ridiculous that it is often funny. One doesn't even need to have served in the military to know how stupid some of the action sequences are. The only risk it takes is in trying to make a stupid political statement with what is a heartbreaking subject for those directly involved. Keep the tongue firmly in the cheek, and it might be watchable.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge of the 80's: Patriotic hokum.
Captain_Couth12 June 2004
Rambo: First Blood II (1985) is a Hollywood reactionary film that reflected the times. Raygun was in office and American was deep into it's patriotic phase (a phase that would start again following Iraq War, Part One and after 9/11).

After the events that have transpired in First Blood, we find Rambo breaking rocks (I am not making this up) inside a Federal Prison somewhere in Mexico (the entire movie was filmed there). Col. Trautman offers him a deal with Black Ops. He can either sweat to his heart's content for the rest of his life getting even bigger by breaking rocks or he can go to Mexico, I mean Vietnam and settle some old scores, I mean take a couple of snaps.

Whilst Rambo chooses the easier of the two options, the filmmakers give him ample camera time to show off his new ripped body he earned breaking rocks in the Federal Pen. But like all of these movies nothing ever goes like the way they're supposed to. Check out Rambo as he grunts and moans his way into American pop culture. Despite all of the cheesy flag waving and macho dialog, Rambo II is a fun popcorn movie. Especially when Charles Napier passes the torch to Sly Stallone. Martin Kove and Richard "Dicky" Crenna co-stars as well. Fun for all, they should have ended the series here but since this is the 80's, well.... Recommended for a few chuckles.

P.S. Check out the female lead in this picture. A Eurasian actress who almost becomes Rambo's only love interest in the series! She's kind of hot in a tough girl sort of way.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In 20 years time Rambo 2 will be in the IMDb top 100.
bad_habitt20 February 2006
The superb editing, the wonderful and precise special effects, the wonderful cinematography and scenes fused with what many consider the greatest film score soundtrack of all time. Wow, just wow. This film deconstructed is nothing but sheer class all the way. It has no weak or loose joints and the transitions are perfect. The pacing is flawless. The directing is very visual and creative. Now to mention the charisma and magnetism Stallone created with the character and the way he branded him was just amazing. Audiences in theaters actually standing up and cheering as one for the character as he spoke the "Murdock... I'm coming to get you" line. When was the last time that happened in the cinema? The film remains a wonderful example of what the human spirit can achieve if people work as a team. This is not only a testament of a mesmerizing movie, but a symbol of how wonderful art can be when artists all contribute their heart to a project. This film is nothing short of a perfect picture and I quote the back of the original 1985 video release

"One of the greatest films you could ever hope to take home with you"

If anyone sees any faults with the film, I'd certainly like to hear from you. But in 20 years time, the 80's will be praised for their superb art and this film will become one of the greatest cult classics ever. Not just because it was successful and impacted the whole world whilst Stallone's career was burning hot, but because it justifies how skillful movies can actually become if the people pulling the strings are nothing short of genius. Once deconstructed it reveals why it is perfect in every way a movie can be.
25 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ludicrous,Lame-Brained actioner of the 80's
BJJManchester25 May 2007
An offensively over-the-top action adventure,FIRST BLOOD PART II seemed to catch the mood of the US at the time of it's release in the mid-80's,with right-wing Reaganism and virulent anti-red feelings still not finished yet,though the emergence of a certain Mikhail Gorbachev in the heart of the 'Evil Empire' in Moscow would soon render these types of films redundant;even Reagan himself eventually admitted this truism.

In that sense,we can be most grateful to 'Gorby',not for his disarmament treaties with the US,nor his policies of 'glasnost',or even his support of democracy being restored to the Eastern European countries in the former Soviet Union's backyard.No,it's the final diminution of foolish,jingoistic,bloated cold-war adventures like this.The first RAMBO film was hardly perfect,though at least was a mildly literate and adequate action thriller with a not too bad storyline.In this sequel,any sense of even the remotest conviction is instantly jettisoned for silly,senseless plotting and incident in which Rambo single-handedly takes on scores of brainlessly stereotyped Vietnamese and Russian troops to rescue American POW's ten years after the conflict ended,with the Americans on the losing side.

Perhaps the reason why the film was a huge box-office success was to let many Americans wallow in fantasy;they may have lost the war,but there was still unfinished business at hand,and ludicrous comic-strip heroics with a robot-like hero killing virtually every red on sight,with as much hardware as possible,fulfilled such whimsically far-fetched ideals.

This could have been entertaining on a SUPERMAN/SPIDERMAN level,but sadly everything is played absolutely straight.But that is not to say that there is no humour in the film;sadly it is virtually all of the unintentional kind.The action scenes,though technically adequate,never once carry the slightest bit of conviction or persuasiveness,because they are always placed in the most spectacularly unbelievable of contexts;namely,our hero Rambo is always unscathed (aside from a few cuts and bruises here and there) despite the tons of explosives,grenades,gunshots,etc.going around him.

In between the mayhem,what there is of a script consists of the dullest clichés and banalities.Stallone,who co-wrote the script with James Cameron (a long way from the exciting TERMINATOR made the previous year),deliberately seems to have given the Rambo character as little to say in understandable English,and merely comes out with moronic grunts,almost as though he has invented his own brand of patois only understandable to himself.Maybe his colleague Cameron was thinking of The Terminator again with so little communication involved for the lead character! In this sense Rambo seems even less of a human than the Terminator did! The rest of the cast do little better with good actors like Charles Napier and Richard Crenna doing their admirable best with the hackneyed dialogue they are given,and Steven Berkoff hamming it up outrageously yet again with another of his Russian KGB/Red Army villain roles.Berkoff's overplaying is mildly enjoyable but not remotely menacing.How come that Sly managed to survive Berkoff's electric shock torture to kill yet more of those Red Commie scumbags? Well,credibility is never this film's strong point.It is a work of fantasy comparable with THE WIZARD OF OZ.At least that WAS meant to be a fantasy,and an immortal classic it turned out to be.This is only a classic of the most dismal,and indeed offensive,kind.And as for Sly's climactic speech...,rather hypocritical after slaughtering all those people,eh? By the way,in the same year,he also made ROCKY IV..........

RATING:3 out of 10.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action film.
theshadow9088 September 2006
Rambo: First Blood Part II picks up 3 years after the events of First Blood. John Rambo is in jail for his crimes. Col. Sam Trautman shows up one day and offers Rambo a way out...He must accept a mission to Vietnam to investigate unlikely claims that there are still POWs being held there. He goes in intending to take pictures, but when he realizes the claims are true, he engages the enemy, which angers the mission commander, Murdock. He leaves Rambo behind in Vietnam, which throws Rambo into another vengeful frenzy. This movie has a better story and way better action than First Blood, and is way more entertaining.

In mood and style, this movie is a lot like First Blood. John Rambo is still a deadly 'Nam vet that's slightly off his rocker, and Col. Trautman is still Rambo's only friend, whose only purpose is to warn others not to screw with him. One change I didn't like was that in First Blood Rambo was spiteful, but in this film he becomes a cheesy "God Bless America" action hero, even though he's still angry about the war. The story was much better this time around and had way more exciting action scenes, particularly when Rambo escapes from capture and proceeds to eliminate all of his enemies through various quiet tactics as well as loud destruction. The movie is a cheesy 80's action movie, but as long as you're not expecting a masterpiece, you'll like it.

The acting is the same as the first film. Sylvester Stallone is still just Sylvester Stallone. Richard Crenna is still good as Trautman.

Overall, Rambo: First Blood Part II is a very entertaining action packed film. A classic in the action genre.

12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Personally, the best out of the Rambo series!
Anarchy74519 July 2005
Rambo: First Blood Part II, is, like the title says, the best out of the series! In this movie, we revisit the Vietnam veteran Rambo, who has been offered to be released from prison as long as he would gather intelligence on captured P.O.W's in a Vietnam camp. Later on, Rambo decides to take matters into his own hands and was betrayed by an American high official. Along with a beautiful Taiwan contact, Rambo fights the brutal Russians that sides with the Vietnamese and the Vietnamese themselves. This flick is packed with explosions and intense adrenaline-pumping action,you won't be disappointed! I strongly urge you to watch this film!
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In my view, the best of the three rambo movies.
Meltdown5309853325 July 2002
Rambo II starts with Col.Trautman asking John Rambo to come back into action to perform a mission in Vietnam. Rambo accepts and a terrific movie begins! Rambo II is PACKED with great special effects, plot twists, and unforgetable moments. I think, no, I SAY that this movie is way, way, way more exciting than the original, which I give credit for some good effects. If anybody reading this knows what a good action movie is, rent (or buy!) Rambo: First Blood Part II. If you're like me, you'll cherish those 100 minutes of watching it.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good movie
broadway3092 June 2003
Okay, first of all, I was born after this movie was made. Second of all, I'm a girl. So for me to say it's a good movie means it's a good movie. My father received this movie as a gag gift. Just by glancing at the cover, I had the impression that Rambo movies were nothing but blood-and-guts, guns-blazing, psycho, no-plotline movies that exist solely for the purpose of making men feel macho. I hate those movies (Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, etc.) But when I popped in this movie out of boredom, I was surprisingly pleased. I'll admit I never saw the first one, but this film doesn't really call for it. It stands on its own. The plot is good-a little too unrealistic but good, the cinematography and scenery is great, Stallone may not be the best actor in the world but he PERSONIFIES John Rambo, and the aspect that makes the movie worth watching is the fact that a woman was a main character and she was not just there for looks; she had an important role and she is portrayed almost as Rambo's equal. The semi-happy ending was cool, too. Although there are many cheezy moments where you just want to roll your eyes, there are also many feel-good moments that make the audience cheer for Rambo. After seeing this film I can understand why it was nominated for an Oscar.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best warrior of the world......RAMBO
fernandez_198920 December 2006
This is one of the most exciting movies I have ever seen. When Rambo is sent to Vietnam to take photographic evidence of American prisoners of war who broke their neck fighting for their country, nobody would think that it is a woman the person who is going to be his partner during his Herculean-task.

Actually, Julia Nickson plays a woman whose family had always worked together with the Americans in the fight for liberate South-East Asia from communist imperialism. She is the most important character in the movie apart from Rambo, and deserves all respect for the fantastic job she does for freedom.

All the action in this movie is very good and Rambo's final quotes will let you speechless. And I understood what is heroism just watching Rambo's attitude on behalf of his fellow soldiers who were brutally tortured by the North Vietnamese communist regime.

Perhaps at US public opinion the war was lost, but in the battlefield no doubt Americans won overwhelmingly. History will honor the sacrifice of thousands of heroic American youngsters in that war against communist imperialist oppression.

This is a must-see movie.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is real heroism and love for partners and country
jm_mathias-122 May 2006
Sylvester Stallone plays an American special forces veteran who won the Medal of Honor. In Vietnam, where he fought several years during the 60's in counter-insurgency operations, he lost all his partners, the only friends he had, and that memories plagues him. When he came back to homeland, people were ungrateful for his sacrifice, and he was unfairly jailed after an incident in a small town. Colonel Sam Trautman calls for him to send him back to Vietnam on a mission to liberate American PoW's so this way he could be released and forgiven. Rambo, of Indian-German ancestry, was born in Arizona in 1947. He loves his country and he would die for it without hesitate. There is a wonderful character played by Julia Nickson who represents the willingness of people from everywhere to help the Americans in the fight for freedom.

American armed forces won in Vietnam, that is a fact: they won every major battle with huge supremacy.The Green Berets made a difference, they were the most successful military unit during the war and it is not a secret that they were extremely superior in military skills, patriotic fervor, ability, stamina, intelligence and courage!!

The Marines, the Rangers, the Navy SEALs (who killed 200 enemy for each self casualty, visit NavySEAL.com) and the Air Cavalry of the Army... They absolutely SMASHED the Viet Cong and the North Vietnam Army, but at home, America was loosing...

America won in the battlefield, but lost at home. The leftist, pro-communism mainstream media plus Military traitors (like Mr Kerry), and other America haters ( like Jane Fonda) turned out to be the real ENEMY.

North Vietnam saw the weak point of America and they exploited that.

When America withdrew from Vietnam, a totalitarian regime was established and millions of innocent South Vietnamese people were brutally tortured and assassinated. Fortunately, thousands of South Vietnamese people could reach American soil, and they now live in freedom in that great country called America.

However, hundreds of MIA's and PoW's were still in Vietnam after the war. That's why Rambo is sent to verify their situation and take photographs...........
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgusting
tjc6030 May 2004
As an Army veteran, I was deeply offended by this film. In my opinion, it is a disgrace to those who fought in the Vietnam war. To say that the real SF soldiers I knew were offended by this crap is an understatement. If the film were presented as satire or even as a cartoon (it was), it would have been better received. But it was taken seriously my many people, especially overseas. Silly as it sounds, wherever I went in Europe in the late 80's people seemed to judge me and Americans in general by this film. Unrealistic? Hmm, let's see. A monosyllabic, muscle-bound cretin is pulled off a prison work gang to go on a secret mission to SE Asia to free some American POW's. In a running battle he kills about 500 enemy soldiers with an M-60 machine gun that never runs out of ammo and never overheats. And he never misses, running with a 32lb gun held up with one arm. I could go on, but I'm getting a headache. I gave this a 2/10 only because it's slightly better than Rambo III.
23 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting and moving Rambo episode in which he returns at Vietnam to rescue American prisoners
ma-cortes12 August 2010
Violent movie that launched Stallone career going on his successful Rambo episodes . Sylvester Stallone as brawny hero Rambo is a previous Green Beret who's forced to go Cambodia in search of American POWs . He frees the American MIAs but Vietcong soldiers sett off in pursuit and Rampo leads his pursuers into all kinds of booby snares , puts dangerous traps in the jungle woods and mountains . Rambo appears threatening , lurking and harassing to his enemies pursuers escaping the innumerable risks and dangers . Rambo is double-crossed but his former superior ,Richard Crenna, will attempt to help him .

From the beginning to the end the comic-book action-packed and extreme violence is continued and it's fast movement ; for that reason the picture is pretty amusing ; furthermore contains lots of explosions and some unintentionally comic dialog too . The outdoors are spectaculars , the landscapes have been filmed on location in Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico (waterfall scene)and in Tecoanapa, Guerrero, Mexico . Stallone is enormous as the tough and rebel ex soldier and Richard Crenna is top notch as the former trainer officer. Appears notorious secondaries as Martin Kove , Charles Napier, Steven Berkoff and screen debut of Julia Nickson , David Soul's wife . Awesome and exceptional cinematography by the classic cameraman Jack Cardiff . Again a splendid and rousing musical score by the great maestro Jerry Goldsmith . The motion picture is preceded by the original ¨First blood¨ by Ted Kotcheff in which Rambo is falsely accused as vagrant and wrongfully imprisoned and he pull off the break-out . And followed by ¨Rambo III¨ with Kurtwood Smith and Spiros Focas and of course Richard Crenna , in which Rambo against the Russians who control a particular sector of Afghanistan and he goes behind Russian-dominated enemy lines too rescue his former coroner from jail . The trilogy was a completed by the recent ¨Rambo¨ , a definitive improvement, with Julie Benz and directed by the same Stallone in which Rambo fights enemies in Thailand ; nevertheless the best considered is the original . The film will appeal to action enthusiast and Stallone fans . It's a movie for adrenaline lovers and frenetic thrillers buffs. Rating : Good, entertaining but violent , two thumbs up . This improbable and silly motion picture is professionally directed by George Pan Cosmatos. Although the movie has some aspects a little tough to take , this exciting film still has its moments. This large-scale and lavishly produced pic attempts a bemusing atmosphere with spectacular results.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.