The Peanut Butter Solution (1985) Poster

really got into my psyche
Thrusday5 October 2004
Watched this several times as a kid. My babysitter had it on VHS. I was fascinated by it and it really got into my psyche. It's dreamlike, weaving seemingly unrelated elements into a story with almost free-association. There's peanut butter mixed with flies and other gross stuff, super fast-growing hair, paintings that come to life, a sugar trail being washed away, and other random images. I wonder if this movie was actually inspired by a dream, or by someone picking random words out of a dictionary maybe?

Anyway, I loved it and longed to be able to paint a picture that I could walk into. The plot is unique and imaginative. I was too young when I watched this to pay attention to dialogue or acting - they're probably not great. The imagery is amazing, though. I don't remember the story being especially scary, but it was disturbing. I believe the boy who is the victim of all this was in a coma and also kidnapped. I just wonder if I watched this movie now whether it would still seem as magical to me, or would I be disappointed?
21 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie that never gets out of your head!
ordonet4 February 2003
It took me ages to find the name of this movie, a movie I had watched as a child and had really really frightened me! I've been searching for this movie for YEARS! and i could only remember some parts of the film, when asking others if they remember the movie, they would look at me as if I'm crazy!!.. seems like a common thing reading all the other users comments, anyway.. This film is full of imagination, suspence, and is over all Fun and Scary for little kids.. it might even be scary for Adults too.. come on, a guy goes bold from being frightened? .. I was frightened all the time as a kid, perhapse i thought i was going to go bold! .. anyway if you havent seen this movie you should! its one of my favourites from childhood, up with the goonies!
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird stuff!
55351 February 2004
I too, saw this movie when I was very young(seven), and I remember getting quite scared by it. The funny thing is that at seven years old, I was very much into action/sci fi movies, and I had just recently watched my first Horror movie, A Nightmare On Elm Street 3, which I thought was great. The only other Horror movie I had seen at the time was 'The Gate', which I thought was kind of creepy. One day after walking through the video store, I came across 'The Peanut Butter Solution', and it looked so strange, that I decided to rent it. I watched it later that night and it scared the hell out of me! I understood that it was only a movie, but at the same time, I was worried that I would wake up bald. I actually slept with one hand on my head for a long time after watching it. I'm 21 now, and last year my sister and I decided to watch it again, but it was so bad that we turned it off. We're big movie fans, and the dialogue was too bad to handle, at least on that particular day. It's not a good movie by any means, but it's definitely worth viewing, especially if you want to see something weird and creepy.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ah... memories
jimi_zee18 May 2003
It seems almost all the posts people have on this movie are memories of watching it as a child, and then having vague memories of bits and pieces as an adult...

I must say, I'm not much different in this matter either. All I could remember was bits and pieces of the plot line. I do remember getting nightmares from it (like most people), not that this is particularly a scary movie by today's standards, but to a child it definitely puts a psychological fear that stays with you. So I looked it up, trying every search word I could think of, (i.e. hair loss, regrowth, solution, paintbrushes) Ehh... after browsing through tons of rogain ads, I finally came across it. I managed to find a copy and watched it again.

It's actually a truly unique movie. A novel idea about a kid who loses his hair, and gets more than he wishes when he applies a magical hair-growth solution. I think perhaps it wasn't marketed correctly back in the 80's because while it seems like a childs movie, I wouldn't recommend it to young children. Maybe not just the marketing either, but the movie itself would've probably been able to stand on its own without being characterized as a child's movie. I would bet that there are probably even people today who have been scarred from watching this as a very young child...

So, if you come across it, it's worth checking out. But sensor before letting your kids see this one!
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I finally got this movie
apryllshowers20 May 2006
I ve been working in videos stores for 5yrs now and every time someone new comes and works in the video store I always ask have you ever seen a movie where this kid loses his hair and uses this stuff with peanut butter in it to make his hair grow. And everyone always looks at me strangely and say no. I had seen this movie in school a few times when i was 6 or 7 and it also scared the crap out of me and made a lasting impression but didn't know the name of the movie. So finally I did a random search and typed in peanut butter in a movie search engine and got the title Peanut Butter Solution. I bought a VHS copy from Amazon and just watched it with my 6yr old son but I don't think it scared him as much as it did to the kids in the 80s. It was everything I remembered but I had forgotten all about the ending with the magic paintings which now looks like the moving pictures you can buy in the mall. But yes this movie is classic for someone in their 20s who have seen this movie and I think its too bad it didn't stick around.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing how you remember things as a kid!
bigfinejulie_828 March 2006
I gave it a 10, but that is because it is utterly cheese-tastic. As a kid, this movie was on the 5 movie loop of videos I rented incessantly. My mom found an old copy at the library, and bought it for me. My husband and I watched it together and I can definitely see why this is the perfect movie for young, impressionable children to watch. I mean, what parent doesn't want their kids to learn about trespassing on condemned property, ghosts, disregarding instruction of adults (albeit ghost adults), grow-it-yourself pubic hair, kidnapping, and unstable, felonious teachers? Oh yeah, and the benefits of an inattentive parent! Actually, this movie is so weird, it is worth watching. Like a Disney movie written by Hunter S. Thompson. Probably a cult classic to many.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome movie.
vanescafe23 August 2005
Whenever I reminisce about old 80s movies, this one always comes to mind, yet NO ONE else has ever seen it or remembers it. I LOVED this movie. It was a little creepy, but funny too. My favorite part is when that one kid puts the peanut butter solution on his crotch and the hair grows out his pants. In retrospect I don't know why they would show that to young kids, but that is definitely the funniest part. Anyway, I have been searching for this movie forever and have yet to find it. If you have any ideas, let me know. I've tried www.amazon.com and looked online, but I have had no such luck. I'd really like to see this movie again now that I am older.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childhood Memories, One Hairy Adventure.
tunganation19 August 2003
A lovely trip down memory lane. I saw this film when I was a child of seven, again when I was ten and snippets of this film have followed me ever since. I just finished watching the film again moments ago, the first time as an adult. Now, this film was somewhat frightening when I was seven, it does have some spooky elements, I don't recommend it for young children. I do feel however that this movie does deserve a second look by adults. The acting isn't award winning, and the special effects certainly wouldn't stand up to today's standards, however this film does have a unique premise and the dialog rarely comes off as childish, this isn't really a childs movie and I feel it was mis-marketted as one. One notable point about this film for most Canadians in their twenties and thirties will recognize several faces from other Canadian films and television from the early 1980's. This film was produced in english, the first film released by La Fete that I am aware of, to be produced in english not just dubbed over. If you enjoyed this film I also recommend watching The Dog that Stopped the War (1984) a great film put out by La Fete immediately before the Peanut Butter Solution. The Dog who Stopped the War can also be found by its original french title Guerre des tuques, La (1984).
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes!
angielossner9 December 2015
I don't remember most of the plot line of this movie. All I can remember is that one kid puts the peanut butter on so he could grow pubic hair. There is a scene on a soccer field where the main character's hair starts stretching out across the whole field. This literally made me sick. Not scared sick, just nauseous. It looked disgusting. The pubic hair portion of the movie was really awkward too. I have never been able to get that soccer scene out of my mind. I never wanted to see this movie again, now I'm a little curious though, I'm not sure if I'll watch it again because that scene bothered me so much but I'm tempted to, just to see if it's as bad as I remember. I'm also glad I'm not the only one that remembers this movie, no one knows what I'm talking about when I mention it either.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All I can say is "BRAVO", it should've been the movie of the year!
dwayne_walls8 March 2004
This movie should have been a top seller, and also agrees with me is my wife Christine Walters. There's nothing better than human hair paint brushes and peanut butter mixed together to make a picture come alive. When I was five, it was my all time favorite movie. I've been disappointed for many years that I haven't been able to find this classic film on video. They should release it on DVD as well! My favorite part of the film is when the boys hair was growing through out the house, and the man was cutting it off to turn the hair into paint brushes. I did feel sorry for the boy at the beginning of the movie when he lost his hair due to his disease. I wish I had one of those paint brushes to paint a better place to live. I wish we had a copy for our child to be, and I hope that someday they will come out with a sequel! I give this movie two thumbs up!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i loved this movie
katie7115 December 2004
my family are complete movies buffs and i must have seen hundreds of movies in my childhood, almost none of which i can recall with such vivid detail as this one. i loved the peanut butter solution so much that i went to see it twice in the cinema when i was about 7 or 8 years old. i still talk about it and tell people about it to this day. strangely, my sister cannot remember a single thing about it or ever even going to see it although she went with me both times, and until i decided to look it up here i had never heard of or spoken to another person who had seen it. thank you, IMDb, for assuring me that have not lost my mind. as soon as i get the chance i am going to start scouring video stores to find a copy of this to rent and watch as an adult and show to my sister and friends. i hope i enjoy as much as i did as a child.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy? yikes
tblackwo10 May 2005
I just was cleaning out our basement and came across our old betamax movie collection.

Aahh memories....

Anyways one of the movies was Peanut Butter Solution...it immediately brought back forgotten memories, but sadly, since we no longer own a beta machine, I cant watch it.

Now, I haven't seen this movie since I was a (young) kid, but one thing I do remember about this movie was that it FREAKED ME THE HELL OUT! (Along with another movie we has on Beta, ET, but thats another story)

I'm reading here its a comedy? I don't remember the complete story, except for the fact that the peanut butter stuff grew hair (sounds funny) but I don't remember laughing at all, I remember my sister loving this movie but I hated it cause it scared the hell out of me, and creeped me out big time, I really am looking forward to finding this somewhere and watching it now that I'm older....And although ET still freaks me out to the point of not being able to watch it, maybe this will be different.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A kid gets scared by what he sees in a haunted house. his hair starts falling out. It gets progressively creepy from there on in.
juliann_wilding18 February 2006
i don't even remember how old I was when I saw The Peanut Butter Solution, but its memory has stayed with me and recurred for at least 15-17 years. This movie is genius, and seriously TRULY scary, and kids and adults should all see it, but for kids its better because you don't have pretensions yet so it will mess you up. As a child, it makes you think of the creepiest, most messed up things: men randomly appearing in your kitchen and intellectually seducing you, factories with children in cages while other children make paintbrushes out of their trapped comrades continuously growing hair... kidnap, being ostracized from your peers, permanently ... pubic growth... death, doom, and existential peril.. yeah, it's completely grim. which is what makes it such a great kids' flick. other movies cast a glow on even terrifying experiences. this movie makes you realize quickly, even as a child, that life is so thoroughly bleak that you will even try putting peanut butter mixed with a bunch of gross crap all over your head to make it better.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
Lzdmg17 May 2005
I'm not gonna lie, this is probably one of the funniest movies I have ever scene. To really get something out of the Peanut Butter Solution, you have to watch it in the right mindset. You cannot watch this movie seriously, hoping to see a great film; you have to watch it knowing that it is so bad and so goofy in order to really enjoy it. I watched this movie when I was really little all the time and somehow the title stuck with me. I decided to rent it and watch it again recently. It was honestly the funniest thing I have ever scene. I can't even count all of the hysterical scenes that are in this movie; ranging from Connies pubic hair hanging out from his pant leg like a horses main as he skips along the crosswalk to the inspirational speech Michael gives in school, "I want to be educated. Not just hairy." If you have no idea what I'm talking about you will just have to get this movie and check it out in the right mindset. The funniest thing I have ever seen.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The peanut butter solution ruined my life.
anthony-56720 April 2007
Oh my god, Im so glad I found out what this movie was. They played this movie at my daycare when I was 4. I remember bursting into tears like a couple hours after watching it and this counselor trying to find out what was wrong. I didn't really know myself, so I didn't know what to tell her. This movie gave me a weird/unexplainable/embarrassing phobia of being bald. Im talking a serious phobia that as a kid was on the same level as monsters and ghosts. All I remember from the movie was this kid playing soccer and some other kids rip off his wig. Then there's an image in my head of hair growing out the bottom of his pants. I wish this stupid movie had never been made. The weird thing is, I totally forgot about this movie around the time I was 8 until I played some arcade that was like Street Fighter but with different characters. If you lose, you are shown a portrait of you character... BALD. Instantly, everything came back to me and I've never been able to forget this creepy horrible stupid movie. Any attempt to confirm this movie with ANYBODY would result in skeptical/concerned looks. I thought Id never hear or see of this again until I saw a wikipedia article on it. If I was some kind of dictator Id have every copy of this movie burned out of existence.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange 80s Movie
Hollywood_Yoda1 October 2018
Who wrote this film? Asking because they had to have been high. This has got to be one of the strangest movies ever made. The acting was just as bad, it would have been funny if not so sad.

Some of the story was sort of interesting, but this film isn't for kids. The peanut butter concoction was pretty disgusting. But the worst part of the film is that it normalizes kidnapping, child slavery and pedophilia.

I can easily see why the film is not readily available on DVD and is out of print. It's for good reason!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Bizarre 80's Childhood Film!"
gwnightscream28 November 2014
This 1985 fantasy film stars Mathew Mackay, Sliuk Saysanasy, Allison Darcy, Michael Hogan and Michel Maillot. Mackay plays young boy, Michael who lives with his sister, Suzie (Darcy) and father, Bill (Hogan) who is an artist. Soon, Michael and his best friend, Conrad (Saysanasy) go to a house that was burned down where a homeless couple died. Michael sneaks in while Conrad tries talking him out of it and Michael is frightened which causes him to lose his hair. Soon, Michael is visited by the ghosts of the homeless couple and they give him a recipe to regain hair. He tries it and his hair grows rapidly long. Maillot plays crooked, art teacher, Sergio aka The Signor who tries stealing Michael's hair to make paint brushes. This is a bizarre film that has stuck with me since childhood. I finally revisited it again and it's not as creepy as I remembered. It does have a bit of an eerie quality, but it's mostly silly and I still recommend it.
Terrific movie!
Kim-9523 June 1999
I remember seeing this movie when I was about 5 and I loved every minute of it. I watched it almost everyday and I had half of the words memorized. And then the other day, I was looking through our old movies and then I saw "The Peanut Butter Solution" and I couldn't help but take it out and watch it. Amazingly, I still remember most of the words and can sing to the song "Listen to the Magic Man." By the way, I am 15 now. So I would give it 2 thumbs up because it is my favorite movie of all times!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as disturbing as I remember.
theyummycakes14 January 2006
An incredibly cruel Elementary School teacher forced my first grade class to watch this terrifying movie on more than one occasion. She seriously made us watch it over and over again, most likely to avoid having to actually teach us something worth while. I remember being traumatized by it and I developed a complex that all of my hair was going to fall out from having viewed it. My girlfriend recently borrowed a VHS copy from the library and we watched it for nostalgic purposes. I don't know what the hell I was so disturbed by when I was a kid. I must have been a real pussy, because the movie isn't the least bit scary. In fact, it's a real piece of garbage. Terrible acting (especially from that Asian kid from Degrassi Junior High) , appallingly bad clichéd dialog, dreadful soundtrack (Celine Dion) with an endless cast of Stereotypes. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Canadian film scarred me. Not scared, SCARRED.
slippy_jones829 September 2016
I probably saw this film around the age of 6 or 7, thanks to our Canadian station CBC, channel 9 at the time. I still have stills of this film stuck in my head, at 34. The premise of the film is one thing, but the ghostly couple were/are still some of the creepiest people I've ever seen in a "kids" movie. This film deserves a proper DVD/Blu-Ray release in English. I realize it was made for Quebec, but there is a whole group of fans here in the states that want a great DVD release. This film has a very special place in my heart. It was my introduction to Horror films, which it kind of is. "There ain't no second chances..."
Totally WEIRD!!!
kungpowted1 June 2006
I cannot believe what "5532" had said about this movie, it was the same reaction as mine. When I was little I remembered a movie about the characters spreading peanut butter on their head, but I couldn't remember why, I just remembered that it had stuck with me for about 15 years. I could never remember the title to this movie, but like some movies you get a certain smell or sense when you watch it. I have yet to locate this movie but I am trying. I was so infuriated with myself that I couldn't think of the title to this movie that I went to google and typed in Movie Peanut Butter on Head and it came back with "The Peanut Butter Solution." There is definitely something strange about this movie that has lurked me for over 15 years and I have no clue what it was. I hardly even remember the movie. I recall watching it with my sisters when I was younger but when I went to ask them if they recall it they had no clue what I was talking about. I am just soo pumped I found it. What is more odd was that people have had the same dilemma as mine. Well hope its as good as I remember or at least I might be able to re-visit some past memories.
Finally!
mh99331 May 2006
It is so hilarious to see how many people remember little bits of this movie from seeing it as a child.

I must have been 6 or so when I saw it and for years I have been trying to figure out what movie it was that terrified me and involved hair loss/extreme growth, peanut butter and a haunted house. Like many others, I have explained my odd memories of this movie to people and have been told I'm delusional. Finally, 15 years later, I have proof that it wasn't just some strange nightmare that stuck with me, but an actual film!

Can't wait to watch it again...no matter how horrible it may be.
At times, VERY funny
Tito-830 May 2000
Much to my surprise, this was an amusing movie, even though it's clearly aimed at kids. In fact, in terms of "laugh out loud" funny lines, this film is better than ninety-nine percent of Hollywood's blockbuster comedies. On the downside, the story is only competent at best, and the final twenty minutes simply don't fit well with the tone of the rest of the movie. But even though the poor ending left me somewhat disappointed, it's still an enjoyable movie overall, thanks to a high number of silly scenes. Worth a look.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Favourable review ( we spell "favorable with a "u" in Canada).
andie-1528 April 2000
Great movie for younger children! I was lucky enough to have cable as a child, discovered this adorable little movie, and fell in love. Great even for Canada's notoriously low budget film scene. Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High alumnai "Yick Yu" (Siluck Saysanasy) is one of the starring children. A charming, fairy tale like story. I highly recommend it (if you can get a hold of it!).
Ughhh -- Awful
Rachella21 November 1999
I saw this movie years ago when I was a kid...was forced to see it twice. It has become the biggest joke in my family...as the worst movie ever made.

Just plain stupid. Even being a kid and watching it, I knew it was stupid. Stay far away from this movie...take my word on this.