The Goonies (1985)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 33 items
Sex & Nudity
- A teenage boy and girl kiss passionately.
- A teenage girl passionately kisses a younger boy. Mistaking him for his older brother.
- A pre-teen boy drops a ceramic statue of a male nude statuette and the penis breaks off. A few comments are made of inappropriate parts. One of the boys present says it's his mom's favorite part. The boy glues the broken private parts of the statue on upside down, making it appear as it has an erection (although this is not referred to).
- A teen boy tricks the Spanish cleaning woman by telling her (in Spanish with English subtitles) that the home-owner's "sexual torture devices" are kept in the attic.
- A teen boy positions his rear view mirror to look at a girl's legs and (tennis) skirt.
- Men are shown showering together in a men's locker room (shot from the waist up - no sexual references inferred).
- A boy teases a teenager about "makin' it" with a girl and her mom.
- A teen boy makes a wish at a wishing well that he will "make it" with a lead female character.
- There are several brief glimpses of the cheerleaders' bloomers throughout the film. This is in no way portrayed sexually.
Violence & Gore
- A teenage girl punches a woman in the jaw before jumping off the ship and swimming away.
- A girl tells of how she elbowed another character in the lip after she caught him staring at her legs in his rear view mirror. The incident isn't seen by the viewer.
- A man pretends to hang himself in order to escape from prison.
- The Goonies watch two men enter a restaurant, and several gunshots are heard. We later on see the three villains carrying large garbage bags to the kitchen through a window and it is implied the corpses are inside.
- A villain threatens to puree a boy's fingers, hand and then arm in a blender. Another villain grabs a child's face and holds a switchblade, suggesting they serve "only tongue."
- A boy relates a story about dumping fake vomit from a movie theater balcony onto people below, causing patrons to actually vomit on each other.
- Men wrestle/knock heads/try to choke each other.
- Adventure and action including chase sequences and adult threats to children with guns and swords.
- Human corpses are shown in various states of decomposition, most depicted having died violent deaths.
- Children escape death by multiple booby-traps throughout the movie.
- A boy is sometimes mildly injured by his own inventions. These incidents are played for gags.
- This movie contains kids swearing
- Because of profanity alone I'd say this movie is age 12 +
- Quite a bit profanity such as "balls" (used once), "bullshit", "(holy) shit", "cut the shit", "damn" and "pissing" said multiple times by both children and adults throughout the film. Several very mild sexual references but no sexual words or slang used other than "balls" once.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A teen boy plays a trick on a Spanish cleaning woman by telling her (in Spanish with English subtitles) that she needs to "always sort the drugs" into the appropriate drawers, citing cocaine, heroin and speed. No characters do or reference doing drugs, though a teen boy makes a reference to "downin' some brews".
- Jake Fratelli smokes cigarettes a few times.
- Alcohol is seen and referenced once by the villains.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- In the beginning of the movie, we open up to a jail cell which cuts to what appears to be a body hanging in the jail cell, implying the person committed suicide. But when a guard came up to the body and read the message pinned on the body, the guard figured out that the person was simply faking it as he woke up and knocked the guard out so he could escape.
- A man slips and falls, landing astride a log, hurting his groin.
- A man threatens to puree a child's fingers in a blender if he doesn't confess his knowledge of his friends' whereabouts, all while the man and two other adult villains corner the kid. The kid is also crying.
- A skeleton is discovered with both it's legs crushed by a boulder and with insects such as worms, maggots and beetles crawling on it and coming out of it's eye sockets. Younger viewers will find the scene extremely frightening and will find it rather disturbing.
- A character with a misshapen face is chained to a wall and is startling when first seen, screaming.
Violence & Gore
- A boy is locked in the trunk of a car with a corpse that has a bullet wound to its head.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A dead body continuously falls on top of a child, who is trapped in a freezer. Numerous skeletons discovered during movie, including one with daggers in its eye sockets.