Clue (1985) Poster

(1985)

Fantastic performances salvage a standard whodunnit
jdollak18 January 2005
I've been annoyed at most of the bad reviews I read of this movie, because none of them understand what it's all about. It's true; the script is not actually that great. What makes it great is how everything is delivered. The cast is fantastic in playing each part as a cliché, even when the lines are far from it. Curry plays the role with so much ham that it's understood why the script is like this. This is a play, not a movie. I can understand not being in the mood for this film. But I can't understand not appreciating these fantastic performances. Another person pointed out that this film needs to be seen in widescreen. This is correct-the movie reaches another level of greatness by seeing it in proper aspect-ratio. And I've never seen Colleen Camp looking this fantastic.
152 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hectic murdermysterycomedy with a pace like none other.
ryanj313 December 2004
This is easily Tim Curry's best role (yes, even better than Frank from RHPS). He is dry and quick to a level that I have never seen topped, and with an all star cast to support him, this is easily my favorite pun filled, fast paced comedy. The beginning of the story begins slow and exponentially increases til the very end. The speed at which the actors are delivering their lines is staggering at some points, and goes to the technical grace of the actors like Christopher Lloyd and Leslie Ann Warren. Also, the late great Madeline Kahn produces a hilarious Ms. White who shall be remembered as her second greatest role (under Young Frankenstein). I cannot say enough about this movie, the script and its wonderful actors.
128 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The popular board game comes alive in this hilarious comedy!
mdm-1110 October 2004
Clue" (the movie), features just about every great comedy actor of the day. From Leslie Ann Warren to Michael McKean to Eileen Brennan to Howard Hessman to the priceless Tim Curry, they're all here! -- If you are familiar with the board game, just picture a film version of the search for "whodunit". This laugh-a-minute fun fest is loaded with outrageous, silly slapstick, superbly acted out by the great cast.

You'll be amazed at how many of the lines and gags get stuck in your head. I'll never be able to forget the flustered looks of Mrs. Peacock, the wit and charm of Wadsworth or the subtle facial expressions of Mrs. White. The picture in this WIDE SCREEN VERSION is the best yet of this film since it's initial release.

The soundtrack is kept in it's original mono, still I'd greatly enjoy hearing a stero or, even better, a surround sound version in the future. Now you have the option of really not knowing who did it until the final scenes play bringing surprise into the untold repeat viewings that are sure to occur.
72 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would anyone care for fruit or dessert?
R_O_U_S17 February 2004
Like Clockwise, this is just a movie I've always found very funny. Superbly casting some superlative film talents into the board game roles of Colonel Mustard et al, this throws the greatest over-actor of them all in as the butler and lets rip. The murders start to pile up, getting sillier and sillier (three cheers for the Singing Telegram Girl!) The pace picks up, so that about half an hour before the end the butler starts to exposit and virtually never stops. Oh, and there are three endings, just for good measure. And the last line is an all-time classic.
78 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Game Cast At Play
dtb1 September 1999
CLUE has been one of our family's favorites for years. It's one of those irresistibly zany comedy-mysteries that, even though I have a copy of the film, I'm happy to watch it if I stumble across it on TV (don't touch that dial! :-)). Despite a few groaners among the gags (how many times did they need to sniff for doggie-doo in the beginning?), there are enough witty lines ("Communism was just a red herring!" and "Flames...on the side of my face...", among others, are frequently quoted in our home) delivered sparklingly by the top-notch cast amid enough madcap scampering about to make CLUE very watchable on a lazy afternoon, or even a not-so-lazy one, for that matter. Tim Curry (who deserves to be in more good movies) steals the show, particularly when he reenacts the entire movie in about 15 minutes during the climax, accompanied by John Morris's rollicking music. The film was released with three different endings, each of which has been shown on cable--the one that recalls MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS is my favorite. Give CLUE a shot...in your living room...with the DVD player!
52 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's All Good Baby...
coatzey21 January 2005
How fantastic was this film??? It was made three years after i was born but the first time i saw it, about 7 year old i think... i fell in love. After mentioning to everyone i knew about this film nobody seemed to have heard of it... i get the same reaction now... all i can say is i feel real pity for the people that have never seen this film. One of the best films i have ever seen... not many people can watch films 4 times in one day but if you had the DVD you'd understand... watching all three random endings and then the film with all three!! Fantastic and you find yourself laughing just as much as you did the first time you watched it. All of the actors where brilliant and so incredibly funny, but i have to make a special mention to Tim Curry... OMG no matter what he does he's amazing but Wadsworth can turn the coldest heart, even when he's naughty ;) Tim Curry, we love you hun and you get better with age... It's all good babe!!!
85 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cult classic
Op_Prime22 September 2000
Clue is a laugh riot from start to finish. The cast is great with the obvious star being Tim Curry. The plot is well thought out and is rather original. Clue is the perfect mixture of comedy and mystery. The best treat is that this movie has three completely different and hilarious endings. This is a must see.
52 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely little murder mystery comedy!
The_Void30 January 2006
Films based on videogames are commonplace nowadays, but one thing I've never seen before is a film based on a board game! Clue is a murder mystery that takes its ideas from the popular game of Cluedo. I cant say I'm a fan of that board game (although I sometimes play it on the quiz machine in pub), but I am a fan of murder mystery - and while this film is more of a joke than anything, it generally plays it's cards right and what we have here is a very entertaining little flick, that really does deserve your time! The film shows it's experimental edge by having three endings (which can be played at random on the DVD), and throughout we are treated to a film that has it's audience in mind. Tim Curry is the big name on the cast list, and he plays butler Wadsworth. He's in charge of a house whose master has invited six guests to his home. Naturally, those guests are given the names of the people in Cluedo, and include the likes of Colonel Mustard, Mrs White and Miss Scarlet etc. We are then treated to a night of mystery, as we try to uncover who murdered the host...and why!

One criticism I could easily make of this film is that it doesn't really have a lot of plot. The mystery is very shallow, and is over very quickly. This is only a shame because of the fact that I would have liked to see this go on for longer, however, as the energy that the cast brings to the table is priceless, and really makes for a good time viewing. Tim Curry takes the lead role, and does what he does best. Curry is famous for campy performances in camp films like this, and his role as Wadsworth really does his reputation proud! The film does a very good job of keeping itself wide open, and by the end it really could have been any of the characters behind the murder. This is good because it allows writer-director Jonathon Lynn complete freedom over who committed the murder; but it harms the film, as the audience doesn't really get enough info to have a stab at it themselves. The style of the film suits the mood very well, with old-fashioned clothes and decor giving it that classic mystery feel. Now don't get me wrong; this isn't exactly a great film, but it's a lot of fun and I can't see why anyone wouldn't enjoy it.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun 'Whodunit' Mystery!
OllieSuave-00722 July 2004
This is one of those movies that I would watch repeatedly and still holds up as a great source of entertainment for me.

Based on the board game of the same name by Parker Brothers, six guests, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, Professor Plum and Miss Scarlet are invited to a Victorian mansion for a dinner party. The host later reveals they are all being blackmailed and wanted to get everybody together to confront the perpetrator, the alleged Mr. Boddy, who later is murdered by one of the guests. What follows is an exciting and intriguing series of events of finger-pointing, revealing secrets, and motives - all leading to the thrilling investigation of the entire house for clues and Butler Wadsworth's reenactment of the night's events.

All the characters gave a memorable performance, each in his/her own unique flavor. The plot and story by Jonathan Lynn and John Landis, with solid direction by Lynn, are fast-paced and exciting, as this movie constantly reminds you that there is a murderer on the loose and there are obvious suspects on screen for you to decipher! In addition, I think John Morris' terrific music score enhances the mysterious feel of a murder mystery movie.

The humor is great, with Miss Scarlet's acid wit being my favorite. This is also one of those movies that you will find something new every time you watch it. Some downsides, I believe, were that some of the rooms like the Conservatory, Ball Room and Billiard Rooms weren't used enough and Mr. Green's character was a little too melodramatic. But overall, a fun comedy that never gets old.

Grade A-
35 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Favorite movie!!
fcfern19 July 2006
Jonathan Lynn's 1985 comedy "Clue" has got to be the BEST movie ever created! Based off of the famous board game, Clue is a fantastic movie for people of all ages. I, myself, was drawn to this movie at the age of seven or eight, and it has faithfully been my favorite movie ever since!

The movie starts with six guests (Mr. Green, Colonel Mustard, Professor Plum, Miss. Scarlet, Mrs. White, and Mrs. Peacock) all being invited to a large mansion in New England for a dinner party, of which they know absolutely nothing about. At the party they all find out that they have more in common than they first realized, and the murders begin, starting with Mr. Boddy, the seventh guest! And as the night goes on, suspicion lands on each of the guests, as well as the butler Wadsworth. So not only is the movie uproarious, but it's actually a very intriguing mystery!

The acting is absolutely spot on in Clue! Eileen Brennan plays Mrs. Peacock, a talkative politician's wife. Madeline Kahn is Mrs. White, my favorite character in the movie! Mrs. White is a widow who may have more to do with her husband's death than she's letting on! Christopher Lloyd does a terrific job as Professor Plum, the ladies man wannabe! Michael McKean plays the hopelessly clumsy Mr. Green. Martin Mull is Colonel Mustard, the man who tries to act as if he knows exactly what is going on. Lesley Ann Warren is awesome as Miss. Scarlet the temptress, and of course you can not forget the amazing Tim Curry who plays cool and composed Wadsworth, the butler.

As I said before, this is a movie for people of all ages. In fact, just recently I got my six-year-old brother to watch it, and he too claims it is his favorite movie! Does he understand every single joke? No, of course not! But the upbeat, fast pace of the movie has him watching it over and over, and acting out the famous "Wadsworth Explains Everything" scene! I fully recommend this movie to anyone who wants to have a good laugh and tons of fun!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I laughed till my stomach hurt
mattgstreet9 September 2004
A hysterical spoof of the well known board game Cluedo, known as Clue

in America. One of the best comic castings ever. Tim Curry as the Butler- brilliantly wild eyed, OTT and campy. Any fan

of The Rocky Horror Picture Show will simply adore his performance in

this film. And Michael McKean as Mr.Green- After This Is Spinal Tap, he

gives his best performance in Clue. The cast really does not have any

weak spots who are all supported by a very funny script. John Landis at

his mid eighties best. The only downer is the different endings use similar script which does

get a little tiresome, but apart from that a flawless comedy. Now go

and see it!
34 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An overlooked classic!
Superunknovvn4 February 2008
When I started watching "Clue" I was amused by the fact that it was based on the famous game of the same name. Two or three actors that I liked are also listed in the cast, so I thought I might give this a shot, if only for curiosity value. Well, what do you know, "Clue" is one of the most fast paced and wittiest play-like comedies ever committed to film! Somehow the makers really managed to make this an original crime/comedy that spoofs all the Agatha Christie whodunnit-movies and blending it effortlessly with references to the the game. The script is so witty and clever it seems like a modern Oscar Wilde-adaptation. The actors and actresses help making it come to life. Even though I was mainly watching this for Christopher Lloyd (who starred in "Back To The Future" that same year, which is kinda hard to believe if you compare his looks in the two movies), Tim Curry (whose performance here seriously rivals all his other great roles like Frank 'N' Furter and Pennywise The Clown) and Michael McKean (great as ever), the whole cast really blew me away, because it had such a great on screen-chemistry together.

Up until the ending (the three different endings, that is), "Clue" is one hell of an entertaining ride that doesn't bore you for a second. This one is a real sleeper, one of the greatest and most overlooked comedies of the 80's. If you get a chance to watch it, definitely do so!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Red Herrings" and lots of laughs!
native_girl33311 June 2007
Have you ever played a murder mystery game called "Clue"? There is one hilariously funny film adaptation from the year 1985.

A group of people are invited to a dark mansion by the mysterious Mr.Boddy. A butler Wadsworth (always brilliant Tim Curry) is there to welcome everybody. Everything is so odd and all of the guests are called nicknames like Colonel Mustard, Ms.Scarlet, Mrs. Peacock, etc. They don't know each other but everybody is eager to know why just them are there in the middle of nowhere locked in the frightening house? After a while happens a first murder... The guests soon realize that they are plotted to a cruel mind-game and there is no way out to this dark and mysterious mansion...

"Clue" includes very clever humor. There is a lot of witty word-games and puns so that the dialog is extremely memorable. There is also classic slapstick-humor also. The mood in the film is thrilling. You can easily enjoy comedic murder-solving and the movie can be watched many times. If you like the game "Clue" you have to see "Clue: the movie" The cast consist of some funny comedians like Michael Mckean, Christopher Lloyd, the late Madeline Kahn, etc. Tim Curry is energetic as Wadsworth.

In the end the movie thrills with alternative ending- sequence "This is how it could have happened" or "This is what really happened". As a child I loved the ending. The film manages to entertain me as an adult too.

Are you brave enough to play along? High recommends! "Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damn" -Wadsworth to Ms. Scarlet
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"One plus one plus two plus one, not one plus two plus one plus one."
utgard1424 September 2015
Hilarious comedy based on the board game and featuring a wonderful ensemble of talented comedic actors. A box office flop at the time it was released, the years have been kind and now it's generally thought of as one of the better comedies to come out of the '80s. The story moves at a breakneck pace and the script is full of memorable lines and old school screwball comedy. John Landis co-wrote the screenplay and you can definitely see his type of humor throughout. The cast is superb. Martin Mull, Christopher Lloyd, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Michael McKean, and Lesley Ann Warren all bring their A game here. But the standouts are Tim Curry's manic performance as the butler and Colleen Camp's scenery-chewing bosom. Oh, come on, you know you couldn't take your eyes off of her! Warren was nothing to sneeze at, either. Lasciviousness aside, Camp in her supporting role holds her own against the bigger names in the cast. The costumes and sets are beautiful. I really liked how all the little things from the game were cleverly worked into the film. John Morris' score is exciting and fun. I love the three endings and the film's hysterical final line. It's a comedy classic in my opinion that just gets better with time.
STILL pretty funny.
RyanEberhart29 August 2013
Clue is one of my favorite movies of all time. Yeah, I know. I have a lot of favorite movies. What can I say, I love movies.

This movie I like because it is a mystery and a comedy rolled into one. The cast that was assembled made this movie what it was. Tim Curry is great as Wadsworth, the Butler. Martin Mull is awesome as Colonel Mustard. Lesley Ann Warren is pretty darn good as Miss Scarlet, and beautiful too. So is Colleen Camp as Yvette. Christopher Lloyd is great as Professor Plum and Michael McKean is a convincing bumbling Mr. Green. I could go on, but I won't.

Again as has become my custom I have several favorite scenes, which I will list.

My first favorite scene is the three endings. The three endings are a series of endings in which the many different murders are explained. Wadsworth begins to explain how the cook, the motorist, Yvette, Mr. Boddy, the cop, and the singing telegram girl. All three endings are slightly different giving the viewer a "murder mystery" feel as they try to figure out who-done-it.

The next like of mine really isn't about any one scene in particular. I like the awkwardness of each character interacting with the others. The script calls for several of the character, Wadsworth in particular, to utilize double talk, or using words that have double meaning. Some of it is confusing and the viewer almost gets lost in the conversation, but in a weird way it's funny.

The last part of Clue that I like is the sexual innuendo, and the not so subtle sexual tension, aspect of the script. Colonel Mustard, Professor Plum and Mr. Boddy all hit on either Miss Scarlet or Yvette. Mr. Boddy attempts to feel up Yvette while at dinner, but she steps away before he can get too far. Professor Plum did feel up Miss Scarlet by moving his hand to her rear-end while waiting for the front door to open.

I give this 8 Stars out of 10, only because it is out of date. Yes, I know that it is period movie, set in the early 1950's. However, we are talking about a movie that hit the theaters nearly 30 years ago.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just great fun, but not without its flaws.
spedden23 December 2001
I first saw this movie on video and imediately loved it. Tim Curry is fantastic. The whole cast is just incredible. My only problem is the fact that 2 out of the 3 endings (In the theatrical release one of 3 was shown) don't quite make sense. SPOILERS AHEAD. In one ending Miss Scarlet (Lesley Ann Warren) does the majority of the killing. That makes sense. In another Mrs Peacock does most of them in This however does not make sense. When she is apparently killing people on the first floor the film clearly shows her smaking the furnace in the dark. As is the last ending. In this ending each of the suspects kills someone. The problem here is again when the lights go out and Yvette, The Cop, & the singing telegram girl are all murdered then, or so we are told in the ending. Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn with some great lines I might add) is supposedly the one who kills Yvette. Yet during the film we see her upstairs screaming her head off and backing up to a window. So my question is that how could people be in 2 places at one time? Still even though with the faults I have just mentioned I still LOVE this film. I only noticed these things after NUMEROUS viewings of this film. Most people will not pick up on this. At least not until after they have returned it to the video store.

Great Cast! Great Acting! Great Fun! Go and rent this gem.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first movie based on a board game deals with several characters must unravel a lot of murders at a bizarre mansion
ma-cortes7 May 2014
An entertaining and funny comedy of murders . The popular board game's roles must uncover a night of murder at a creepy mansion . It is in fact an amusing imitation of Crime Story including enjoyable and sympathetic performances by the entire cast . Well-known actors at large in a sinister Victorian mansion , then appears amusement and entertainment , as all of them running around and taking place murders , who's the killer? . This popular charade deals with a fistful of famed stars (Lesley Ann Warren , Christopher Lloyd , Michael Mckean , Madeline Kahn , Martin Mull , Eileen Brennan) incarnating suspect criminals , as six guests are invited and must cooperate with the staff to solve a murder mystery . The film takes place in "New England," 1954 as revealed in the opening scenes , as various characters are invited to a spooky mansion full of secret passages and spinning rooms , there they are received by an eccentric butler (amusingly played by Tim Curry who had previously starred in another comedy set in a gigantic mansion, that was The Rocky Horror Picture Show ,1975) and the buxom French maid Yvette (Colleen Camp though Jennifer Jason Leigh, Demi Moore and Madonna were considered for the role) . This is a very entertaining movie full of frolics , killings , antics , capers and suspects . As the popular characters must unravel a night of murder at an eerie country house . This film featured three endings, five bodies, six weapons and seven suspects . This is featured in one of the tag-lines for the film but as there are six murders, one for each weapon, there are actually six bodies not five.

This is a fun rendition of a famous board game called Cluedo , known in the USA as Clue , in fact , the color of each character's car is the same color as their playing piece in the game . It results to be an entertaining and bemusing spoof of Agatha Christie novels , though it is in fact a pale imitation of the earlier , much better and more satisfying sleuthing spoof ¨Murder by death¨ by Robert Moore with Alec Guinness , Truman Capote , Elsa Lanchester , David Niven , Nancy Walker , James Cromwell and Eileen Brennan too ; as this movie was followed by hammy spoof ¨Clue¨(1985) an inferior but enjoyable imitation of the previous parody . It is an entertaining and fun comedy of murders in which the laughs pile up before your eyes , director has got success in keeping the bizarre and grotesque appearances of the actors in hyperactive movement , shouting and frantic running around , principally from Tim Curry . Despite the ridiculous and unnecessary camera movements , Jonathan Lynn manages to maintain a coherent and compelling plot plenty of twists and turns . The screenplay is funny and high quality in which it's not difficult to work out on which murder-solvers each of them is modeled ; furthermore , stand up Tim Curry as a botcher as well as hyperactive butler and a suitably eccentric Lesley Ann Warren , of course , Christopher Lloyd is appealing too . The entire cast seems to be subsisting on sugar with wild eyes and frenetic movements the order of the day . You'll enjoy enormously the impersonations of the strange characters . The film was one of a number of pictures, mostly comedies, made and released between the mid-1970s and mid-1980s, that revived the old dark house mansion movie . Three endings were shot, and a different one shown at each theater . All three are included on video . The DVD, however, aside from all three endings, also offers the option to play the movie with one randomly selected ending. In some cities, the newspaper print ads indicated which version was being shown at each theater .

Lively and fun musical score by John Morris . Evocative and colorful cinematography by Victor J. Kemper . This whodunit mystery picture was uneven but professionally directed by Jonathan Lynn . Lynn is an expert on comedies as he has demonstrated in My cousin Vinny , The Distinguished Gentleman , Greedy , Nuns on the run , The Whole Nine Yards , among others . Lynn has also enjoyed notable success on the British stage and television with series as Yes Prime Minister , My Brother's Keeper , Doctor on the go , and Doctor at sea . Though the picture's performance at the box-office was disappointing, the film ¨Clue¨ has since developed a cult following .
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my absolute favourites!
TheLittleSongbird5 February 2009
I mean, this movie is just fantastic, marginally better than Murder By death, which I didn't understand at the end, though that is a good film. With the costumes, the actors and a gem of a script, what could possibly go wrong? The script was hilarious. Every line was enough to make you fall off the chair. The Kingdom of Heaven bit was sidesplittingly funny, because it was just so random. True, it is nothing like the Board Game, but the way they revolve it around the Board Game, was so clever. Some of it was extremely silly, but have a heart, it's a comedy, it's supposed to be. The casting was just ingenious. Eileen Brennan was just flawless, giving Mrs Peacock a much needed bit of edge. Tim Cury stole every scene he was in, and he looked , as always, as though he was having the time of his life. Madeline Kahn was just hilarious, especially with her line "Husbands should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable" and the iconic "Life before death is as improbable as sex after marriage". Christopher Lloyd seemed restrained, but his dry humour made Professor Plum an unforgettable character. Michael McKean was a bit whiny, but I don't care, it's called acting, plus Mr Green is supposed to be timid. Martin Mull has great comedic timing, and brought a bit a stupidity to his role of Colonel Mustard. My favourite characterisation was that of Miss Scarlet, played by Lesley Ann Warren, looking gorgeous in that emerald green dress. (Miss Scarlet was the closest characterisation to the board Game). Colleen Camp looked lovely and I liked the jokes about her boobs, and Lee Ving (part of a joke, Leaving soon) was very good too. The three endings were so funny, very silly, but it is like the Pink panther franchise, it is all about the comedy. You would've never guessed the final solution in a million years, because the third ending had me completely by surprise, and I am not kidding. This movie is a must-see for all Tim Curry fans, like me. If you want to see more of this talented man, check out Legend, Rocky Horror(obviously) and Stephen King's It(his career-best)10/10. Bethany Cox
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why I love Clue
h-nancarrow24 April 2008
I am 32 now and when I was 16, I had watched Clue over 40 times. I love Clue as it is funny, I wanna be in there with Wadsworth and it is my favourite film ever. My video got so warn out I now watch it on DVD. When I was younger, myself and my mate, we knew the lines off by heart and I still am good at it now. Even my son who is 5 has watched the film more than ten times.

I think Tim Curry is great, have been a fan of him since I was young and saw the film and have been mad about the film ever since.

Tim Curry is great, am trying to tell my son all the other films that Tim is in, but I won't show him IT or Rocky Horror yet.

What can I say I'm just mad about Clue, I can watch it again and again and my son reacts all the scenes, so now it's great to have someone I can talk to about the film, as everyone else in my family, well I think I drove them mad when I use to watch it over and over again.

Tim Curry You're the best.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IT'S ENTERTAINMENT VALUE IS ONLY EXCEEDED BY IT'S ORIGINALITY
No 67 September 2001
With regards to all the movie tie-ins to various games released this summer (Final Fantasy,Tomb raider, Dungeons & Dragons) I felt it was appropriate to review the film Clue which has the distinction of being the first film to have started this trend so many years ago.

Clue has a lot in common with the above big budget movies in that it too was based on a very popular game (boardgame in this instance!!) called "Cluedo". And that's where the similarities end for unlike the other tie-in duds this film is a very enjoyable and original film.

The entertainment value of this film is remarkably high. Not only are we given an exciting "whodunnit" mystery but also an enjoyable comedy featuring many witty one liners and subtle "in-jokes" with a sprinkling of slapstick on top. One of the reviewers here the oddly named "Abba owns me" complains that the characters in this film are underdeveloped and are as wooden as their corresponding Player pieces that come with the Cluedo boardgame. But what "Abba owns me" fails to understand is that most murder mysteries normally do not delve too deeply into any character study of the suspect characters. Which leaves the viewer to focus on the solving the crime by noting the actions and responses of these suspect characters to the events happening around them. The fact that this film also emulates this trend is more of a strength than a weakness in that it is just as focused on it's murder/ mystery theme as well as it's comedic theme.

Besides this the performances of the entire cast in this film are first rate especially Tim Curry who steals this film with his over the top performance of Wadsworth the butler (which I feel was his best one to date!!). It is not too hard to notice that the entire cast must have had a whale of a time making this film from watching their passionate and over the top performances. And kudos to the script writers for concluding the film with 3 different endings which was a very original concept that has never been imitated by any other film since then. All three endings that were released to cinemas separately are included in the VHS version, my favourite being the 2nd ending. Clue also features an excellent soundtrack which denotes the fifties setting in which this film and boardgame is based (I particularily like the energetic piece of classic music that is played throughout the film).

Clue is a wonderful film whose entry excels in each of it's genres such as comedy, murder/ mystery and of course the "movie based on a game" genre. Although the biggest mystery of this film is to why it has not transcended from VHS to DVD format as of yet!!!!

I rate Clue 10/10!!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mrs. Peacock's Tacky Hairpiece
Lechuguilla19 March 2008
As a spoof of whodunits, "Clue" gleefully overplays all the usual genre clichés: a ridiculously huge and spooky old mansion, secret passageways, a nighttime setting, a loud thunderstorm, a fire in the fireplace, gloved hands of the killer, and multiple suspects, all of whom have motives for murder.

Of course nothing is to be taken seriously here; the film is played strictly for laughs. And since it originated as a stage play, the important elements in "Clue" are acting, dialogue, and costumes. Eileen Brennan is terrific as "Mrs. Peacock", with that tacky hairpiece and those bizarre glasses. Madeline Kahn as Mrs. White, and Tim Curry as Wadsworth the butler, are also good.

Most of the predictably heavy dialogue is not especially funny, but some of it is, as this exchange between Col. Mustard (Martin Mull) and Wadsworth. Col. Mustard: "Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there is nobody else in this house?" Wadsworth: "No". Col. Mustard: "Then there is someone else in this house". Wadsworth: "No, I'm sorry I said no meaning yes". Col. Mustard: "No, meaning yes? Look, I want a straight answer; is there someone else or isn't there, yes or no?" Wadsworth: "No". Col. Mustard: "No there is, or no there isn't". Wadsworth: "Yes".

The film's plot, especially in the second half, consists of lots of rushing back and forth between rooms, as Wadsworth "explains" the laughably complicated murder plot. And with three alternate endings, the film makes the point, perhaps unintentionally, that the solutions to whodunit puzzles are largely arbitrary. The two songs "Shake, Rattle And Roll" and "Life Could Be A Dream", along with those antique autos the suspects drive are the main "clues" to the film's setting in the early 1950s.

Although the film is not nearly as good as "Murder By Death" (1976), a similar spoof, "Clue" is still an enjoyable film, especially for the fine performances of Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, and Tim Curry.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabulous comic mystery
ametaphysicalshark26 March 2008
Writer/director Jonathan Lynn's inspired take on the popular Parker Bros. board game is never boring, always funny, and benefits from superb casting. Another fine aspect of the film is its multiple endings, some better than others, admittedly, my favorite being the 'they all did it' ending, the funniest of the lot.

"Clue" isn't a perfect movie, some of the jokes fall flat, the score is problematic, and Lynn's direction is flat. What matters most here, of course, is the script, and it's wonderful. All sorts of humor, from self-referential puns to unbelievably wacky and morbid set-pieces, are present here.

I don't think you need to be a fan of, or have ever played, Clue to enjoy this film on its own merits, but it's always fun to compare the film to whatever stories you had cooked up in your own head while playing it. The bottom line is that this is a perfectly acted, only slightly problematic, consistently clever and funny film. Now if we could only see that fourth ending, which was shot and I presume is hidden away somewhere.

8.5/10
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S10 Reviews: Clue (1985)
suspiria1022 April 2005
The classic board game comes to life in this delightful movie adaptation. It is a dark and stormy night at "Hill House" and we've got guests. Wadsworth (Tim Curry) is the butler and the guests go by aliases. All the guests are powerful types who are being blackmailed by Mr. Boddy. All the guests soon have to figure out who is the murderer amongst them or they might be next.

All the people, places and things are replicated in this live-action comedy. The cast is perfect (which includes: Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKean, Martin Mull and Lesley Ann Warren) and a couple new ones to mix it up. The comedy hijinks never let up as the cast mix it up in such deliciously devious ways. I'm not big on comedies but this one is top notch.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original, interesting and entertaining
grantss7 July 2019
Original, interesting and entertaining movie, based on the Cluedo boardgame. Lively plot, though sometimes too lively as it can be hard to follow at times. Dialogue is very funny at times.

Great performances all round. Tim Curry steals the show (as was intended, I guess) with his effervescent-yet-classy performance. Good support, especially from Lesley Ann Warren.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.